PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Liverpool fans.

Cat Stanton
26-05-2018, 09:19 PM
I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?

Michael
26-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.

overdrive
26-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Yes they are. I’ve had many an argument with that sort as they are the first to say Scottish football is tam kite. They don’t accept they are part of the problem.

heretoday
26-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?

IGRIGI
26-05-2018, 09:27 PM
There seems to be a lot like that and for me it's just weird, unless someone has been brought up supporting another team it's just weird and reeks of "look at how cool I am".

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2018, 09:30 PM

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.

Cat Stanton
26-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.

They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.

Smartie
26-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Liverpool are absolutely massive.

They've always had fans from everywhere, and there will be a good few in Edinburgh too.

Pagan Hibernia
26-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.

and there’s a very good reason for those demographics.

its the same reason you’ll find man utd fans all over the place in their 20s and 30s.

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2018, 09:37 PM
They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.

As I said lots of fans all over the world including Scots. The turn out when I attend the Liverpool legends events in Edinburgh are also mostly Scots.

Since90+2
26-05-2018, 09:41 PM
I have a few mates who have English teams and they are very passionate about them. I don't personally follow an English team but don't see any harm in it.

brythehibby
26-05-2018, 09:41 PM

I’ve been a member of the supporters club and it’s not all Scottish boys. Quite a few Irish and English as well. As Scouse says Liverpool have a massive following. The supporters club organised the event so that all the guys from Edinburgh and the lothians could watch it together. Know loads of folk in there that go to Hibs (and other teams) games every week and Liverpool games when they can as well.

Swedish hibee
26-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.

Centre Hawf
26-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.

Cat Stanton
26-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.

It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?

WoreTheGreen
26-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.

Yes for me to

Cod Boy
26-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Don’t see a problem with it most pubs every Sunday during the football season have folk cheering on there favourite English team.

Cat Stanton
26-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?

I didn't say it made anything worse. I just said it confused me. I don't care about English football - the money puts me off - but I can understand why some, especially young, folk, like it. But dressing up in Liverpool shirts, hat, and scarves just confused me. Are they English supporters then? Very odd.

Swedish hibee
26-05-2018, 09:50 PM
It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?

That's life of being from a small country.

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I didn't say it made anything worse. I just said it confused me. I don't care about English football - the money puts me off - but I can understand why some, especially young, folk, like it. But dressing up in Liverpool shirts, hat, and scarves just confused me. Are they English supporters then? Very odd.

Why would they support England just because they follow Liverpool? I am English, live in Edinburgh, have a Hibs season ticket but I don't support Scotland. England all the way for me in international football.

Stax
26-05-2018, 09:55 PM
I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.

Big_Franck
26-05-2018, 09:56 PM
If it was Malones and they were supporting Liverpool there is a very good chance that they weren't Scottish. The majority of them were probably Irish. For some reason a lot of Irish football fans support Liverpool and Man United. I suppose it's probably because they don't have a decent league of their own to follow.

Go in to Malones when Celtic are on sky/BT. You'll see and hear dozens of people with irish accents living in Edinburgh that support celtc. Going past that bar on weegie derby day you'd think Edinburgh was celtc mad.

hibsboy69
26-05-2018, 10:01 PM
GLORYHUNTERS :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
26-05-2018, 10:03 PM
GLORYHUNTERS :rolleyes:

Everyone's a gloryhunter.

hibsboy69
26-05-2018, 10:14 PM

OK boss :aok:

Biggie
26-05-2018, 10:21 PM
For me, it's down to Dalglish.....quite simply Scotland's greatest ever player and arguably liverpools greatest player.
Used to get my mum to record MOTD on a Saturday night to watch him tear up the English league....followed them since.

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2018, 10:23 PM
No problem with folk who have an English team and follow their fortunes. When I'm in Liverpool I usually try to catch an Everton game if I can and have a wee soft spot for them. I'm pretty sure if I lived down south I would go and see a local team fairly regularly.

BUT ...... Folk who follow English teams to the exclusion of having a Scottish club can GTF ... they aren't even worth calling glory hunters, they are worse than that, they think that Scottish football isn't good enough for them 'too small time' ... well if it is its because of folk like them, they are beneath contempt and a hundred of them aren't worth the steam off the pish of the most casual East Fife or Dumbarton supporter.

Apart from that they have my total respect :aok:

IberianHibernian
26-05-2018, 10:43 PM
I`m quite surprised to read this thread since it`s nothing new . In the late 1960s when I started going to matches and early 1970s fans at ER would follow other matches first of all on half time score board and on radio ( BBC Scotland mainly but by early 70s some were already listening for English results on BBC2 ) but by late 1970s there was a Manchester United Supporters Club in Edinburgh with a bus going to a lot if not all home games ( going on what people I happened to meet in pubs in Edinburgh told me - all Scottish football supporters including some who considered themselves Hibernian supporters ) . So it`s nothing new though obviously Sky has created generations ( in plural already ) of fans who have a serious interest in English clubs which I agree is something I find hard to understand . I`m obviously not talking about Hibernian supporters from outside Scotland / Ireland who also follow another club from England or elsewhere in the world . In my case I`ve watched Spanish clubs in almost every match in a season in divisions from equivalent of 1st to 3rd tier but never put it before Hibs , in fact Hibs TV has meant I only go to 3 or 4 Spansh League matches ( various divisions ) per season . If Hibs Under 20 team had been broadcast on Hibs TV tonight I would have watched it before CL final

Cat Stanton
26-05-2018, 10:49 PM
I`m quite surprised to read this thread since it`s nothing new . In the late 1960s when I started going to matches and early 1970s fans at ER would follow other matches first of all on half time score board and on radio ( BBC Scotland mainly but by early 70s some were already listening for English results on BBC2 ) but by late 1970s there was a Manchester United Supporters Club in Edinburgh with a bus going to a lot if not all home games ( going on what people I happened to meet in pubs in Edinburgh told me - all Scottish football supporters including some who considered themselves Hibernian supporters ) . So it`s nothing new though obviously Sky has created generations ( in plural already ) of fans who have a serious interest in English clubs which I agree is something I find hard to understand . I`m obviously not talking about Hibernian supporters from outside Scotland / Ireland who also follow another club from England or elsewhere in the world . In my case I`ve watched Spanish clubs in almost every match in a season in divisions from equivalent of 1st to 3rd tier but never put it before Hibs , in fact Hibs TV has meant I only go to 3 or 4 Spansh League matches ( various divisions ) per season . If Hibs Under 20 team had been broadcast on Hibs TV tonight I would have watched it before CL final

Hi. Nice Post. And I get all that. My confusion was the extent of it. It wasn't just a pile of folk shouting for Liverpool once the game started. It was Scottish folk, fully clad in all the Liverpool gear, singing and chanting for hours that this was their team.

It just confused me - have they no interest in any Scottish team at all? Presumably not, which was just a surprise to me.

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Hi. Nice Post. And I get all that. My confusion was the extent of it. It wasn't just a pile of folk shouting for Liverpool once the game started. It was Scottish folk, fully clad in all the Liverpool gear, singing and chanting for hours that this was their team.

It just confused me - have they no interest in any Scottish team at all? Presumably not, which was just a surprise to me.

I direct you to post #28 :rolleyes:

CorrieHibs
26-05-2018, 11:14 PM
It was organised by Edinburgh’s Kop/Auld reekie reds. A lot of them are from Scotland and only support Liverpool. Although a few have Scottish
teams inall. Most of them aren’t even from Edinburgh tbf.

Liverpool are my English team and I thought it was a great atmosphere. Liverpool are a global brand. They lost tonight and I was gutted but I would feel a lot worse if Hibs lost.

Centre Hawf
26-05-2018, 11:18 PM

As I’ve said earlier in the thread. There was people in our group who absolutely pride themselves on their support for Hibs and Hearts. But they’re also Liverpool supporters and go to games when opportunities arise to do so.

Eaststandee
26-05-2018, 11:50 PM

Why can you not have an interest in both, I love Liverpool and was at a Liverpool event in a shirt, singing and dancing, but I also have a season ticket for Hibs and have for years.

Pete
26-05-2018, 11:54 PM
People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)

Eaststandee
26-05-2018, 11:58 PM
People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose.

:giruy2:

Pete
26-05-2018, 11:59 PM
:giruy2:

😂

Pete
27-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Edinburgh Man City fans are different though. They’ve probably earned their stripes.😁

BegbieHSC
27-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Was in McSorleys, and there was a group who couldn’t decide between singing Hibs songs, and Liverpool.

overdrive
27-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Why can you not have an interest in both, I love Liverpool and was at a Liverpool event in a shirt, singing and dancing, but I also have a season ticket for Hibs and have for years.

The things is though, that most will have no interest in a Scottish team whatsoever and a fair chunk of them will never have stepped foot in Anfield. I was a fan, of sorts of Man Utd in my younger days, and latterly of Everton but my feelings for those clubs are in no way whatsoever similar to my feelings towards Hibs.

It’s the other way round these days, unfortunately!

Carheenlea
27-05-2018, 12:10 AM
I know loads of Liverpool ‘fans’, both here and in Ireland,but I’ve been to Dingwall to see Hibs play Ross County more than they’ve been to support Liverpool in the flesh. Just one of those clubs the glory hunters don’t need to make that much effort to latch onto. Glad they got beat.

neil7908
27-05-2018, 12:17 AM

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)

This. We moan about folk in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. supporting one of the ugly sisters so I don't see how supporting an English team without a genuine connection is any better.

Like there are other teams in the world who's results I look out for but they come a very very distant second to Hibs. Fine to have some kind of affinity for other teams but mental to live in Scotland and support Liverpool unless you're from there.

Stuff like that is what's ruining the game

jgl07
27-05-2018, 12:29 AM
Very true about the global support for Liverpool. We are in Kiev for the weekend and found the city to be full of Liverpool fans. Most, if not all, of the Scousers we encountered before the match had tickets and were headed for the stadium.

When we watched the match in a bar, I was amazed how many were supporting Liverpool. Most, I suspect, were locals from Kiev. At our table, there was a Dubai-based Indonesian and a Ukrainian, both of whom had Liverpool tops on. They were very knowledgable about Liverpool and the English Premier League.

The Harp
27-05-2018, 02:51 AM

I was born on Merseyside and my dad was a Scouser and Everton fan. He used to take me and my mum to Liverpool every summer to see our Scouse relatives. Unfortunately, our visits were usually during the close season so we didn't get the chance to see much of his team.
Over the years I've been down to Goodison a few times and like to see them doing well (hasn't been happening much lately) but my feelings for the Toffees doesn't come remotely close to how I feel about the Hibs.
I was pretty much neutral about the final. Would've been a massive boost for the city if they had won but then the local rivalry element kicked in.

WeAreHibs
27-05-2018, 08:05 AM
I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.

Denis Law?

Sammy7nil
27-05-2018, 08:57 AM

yip I met two Cowdenbeath fans all they talked about was their next big signing and the trophies they were gonna win.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
27-05-2018, 09:01 AM

A lot of it is bandwagon jumping too. I know a guy who was a blackburn rovers fan in tge 90s (and in fact there werr two other blackburn 'fans' in my year at school) but he has since changed to be a man utd fan.

Im sure when liv are doing nothing, these filk disappear like snow off a dyke.

Serious question for scouse hibs... do proper liverpool fans, from liverpool (or with a connection to city) not get annoyed with these type of fans? I saw quite a few asian groups on the tv last night, and if that was hibs, it would annoy me?

CLASS OF 72 -73
27-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?

You answered your own question why would you?
I followed Liverpool when Dalglish moved there as hoped as a terrific Scottish player he would be an good replacement for Keegan. I later married a scouser and live down there. Follow Liverpool fortunes but my heart and passion is most definitely Hibs.

Sammy7nil
27-05-2018, 09:04 AM
A lot of it is bandwagon jumping too. I know a guy who was a blackburn rovers fan in tge 90s (and in fact there werr two other blackburn 'fans' in my year at school) but he has since changed to be a man utd fan.

Serious question for scouse hibs... do proper liverpool fans, from liverpool (or with a connection to city) not get annoyed with these type of fans? I saw quite a few asian groups on the tv last night, and if that was hibs, it would annoy me?

Strange post why would it annoy you other people supporting your club? If is hardly like they will be taking tickets off regulars every week.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2018, 09:06 AM

I know its not the norm but, my mate's English team is Carlisle.

Scouse Hibee
27-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Hard to get annoyed about a worldwide fan base that helps finance the club. It does kind of annoy me that tickets are so hard to come by because of it but that's all part of the global fan base, the merchandise revenue alone it generates is massive.

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 09:07 AM

I have met Scottish folk who claim no allegiance to a Scottish side and support a glamour side from England. Bizarre, but each to their own.

Wembley67
27-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Or maybe folk can stop trying to justify it and just say they were out having fun? Funny bunch some footy fans 😁

Sir David Gray
27-05-2018, 09:18 AM

I have no connection to Edinburgh but I'm a diehard Hibs fan.

People support football clubs for lots of different reasons.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
27-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Hard to get annoyed about a worldwide fan base that helps finance the club. It does kind of annoy me that tickets are so hard to come by because of it but that's all part of the global fan base, the merchandise revenue alone it generates is massive.

I suppose, a necessary evil, particuarly in english football.

Thanks for your response.

I think if i moved to aanother city to live, i would adopt a team to follow, but i just cant understand how people can just decide to support a team, often a team they have nevet seen in thhe flesh, and claim some deep connection.

The emotional connection is something that for me, is rooted in place, family, and no doubt a generation or so back, religion and culture. Its a bond built on enduring lows and celebrating the odd high with mates and family. I just dont accept that some random punter from singapore or somewhere can possibly claim to understand that.

The reason i asked you specifically is bcause given how rooted liverpool are in their community, civix history and of course tragedy, and given how corporate english fitba with enormous ticket prices is out of step with the social circumstances of liverpool the city, i wondered if people claiming an allegiance to all of that would be quite offensive to people.

Keith_M
27-05-2018, 09:23 AM
If Rankers or Celtc were in a Euro Final, there would have been pubs all over England with similar scenes.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
27-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Strange post why would it annoy you other people supporting your club? If is hardly like they will be taking tickets off regulars every week.

I was just curious.

Im fairly sure there are plenty of scousers who cant get tickets while tourists and corporate 'fans' can. But anyway, i was just curious.

I know i wouldnt class some random punter who has no connection to hibs, and had never been to ER, as tge same as me. Thats maybe a bit uber-fan, but thats just how i see it.

Pagan Hibernia
27-05-2018, 09:24 AM

i lived in Manchester for about a year and most of the local united fans I worked with definitely expressed some annoyance about out of town fans. Nothing vicious, just a lot of rolled eyes and frustration about ticket shortage for locals and how they are misrepresented in the media as being glory hunters.

the odd one did seem proud of the global support.

personally, I’m not from Edinburgh so Ive no right to call out anyone for supporting a non local team.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
27-05-2018, 09:27 AM
i lived in Manchester for about a year and most of the local united fans I worked with definitely expressed some annoyance about out of town fans. Nothing vicious, just a lot of rolled eyes and frustration about ticket shortage for locals and how they are misrepresented in the media as being glory hunters.

Cheers, i woyld imagine so.

But as Scouse said, its the price that has to be paid for international fame and revenue.

Not an issue hibs are likely to struggle with anytime soon!

Keith_M
27-05-2018, 09:28 AM

That's surely the part that must be annoying, where locals are suddenly priced out of watching the team they've always supported.

I think that played a large part in the founding of FC United.

Fortunately it's not going to happen to Hibs anytime soon :greengrin

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 09:45 AM
If Rankers or Celtc were in a Euro Final, there would have been pubs all over England with similar scenes.

Full of Scottish folk? Not sure the infirm have as much of a draw as their hype would have you believe.

Keith_M
27-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Full of Scottish folk? Not sure the infirm have as much of a draw as their hype would have you believe.

Sadly they have supporters clubs all over england, particularly in the north-west.

If it was Rankers, there would probably be pubs in London full of Chelsea Fans having a 'love-in' with their favourite other Rule Britannia team.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2018, 09:59 AM
I was in a sports bar last night, full of them. The high pitched screams from these mousers was funny as f...

I'm sure they were putting helium in the beer.

A few getting angry towards the end, especially with folk laughing at the keeper. It was great to watch a football match where the keeper was that bad, and it didn't involve Hibs. :greengrin

I also had quite a large bet on Madrid, which made the night even more enjoyable. :top marks

lord bunberry
27-05-2018, 10:11 AM
There’s quite a large number of people in Edinburgh that don’t follow a Scottish team, but follow an English team. Mostly it seems to be Man Utd. Don’t get it myself.

.Sean.
27-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Quite embracing the amount of folk with no affiliation to Spurs, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc etc etc going to the boozers of cities in Scotland at the weekends to watch ‘their team’ and ****ing over the ‘superstars’, same roasters that don't see the irony in telling you how crap Scottish football is.

If they are so desperate to support an English team why’s it not Rochdale, Millwall, Oldham etc? Cause they’re glory hunters that’s why. As bad as the Old Firm ‘fans’ that never attend matches that pollute every town in Scotland.

I don’t mean to come across as arsey, just don’t get it, probably as I’ve been brought up to live and breathe a local team.

CockneyRebel
27-05-2018, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=neil7908;5415512]This. We moan about folk in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. supporting one of the ugly sisters so I don't see how supporting an English team without a genuine connection is any better.

Like there are other teams in the world who's results I look out for but they come a very very distant second to Hibs. Fine to have some kind of affinity for other teams but mental to live in Scotland and support Liverpool unless you're from there.

Stuff like that is what's ruining the game[/QUOTE

Supporting ANY team other than the OF is surely better?
IMO anyone, whoever they are, wherever they are, can support who the hell they like and have no need to explain themselves to anybody else. Just support who you like and extend the same courtesy.

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2018, 10:24 AM
That's surely the part that must be annoying, where locals are suddenly priced out of watching the team they've always supported.

I think that played a large part in the founding of FC United.

Fortunately it's not going to happen to Hibs anytime soon :greengrin

That's the mental thing about it ...... When you look at the massive amount of money TV pumps into the EPL and the revenue being a global brand brings in to a number of the clubs they should be using that revenue to ensure that prices are affordable for their traditional fan bases. Instead of that they seem intent on sucking every last penny out of them. I paid £44 for a bog standard main stand ticket for Everton v Watford 2 seasons ago and that was for a seat straight out of the 1950s .... that's for the self proclaimed 'peoples club' :confused:

If local fans aren't annoyed about football tourists then they should be, because they are enabling clubs to keep prices high because they know that for every local who cant afford the prices there are 5 non locals who can and will pay them.

Folk moan about the prices Hibs charge at times, and that's a club for whom selling tickets is a massive part of the clubs ability to survive and compete... in comparison for the likes of Liverpool and Man City for example ticket sales are a far less significant revenue stream.

I wonder if the TV gravy train ever hits the buffers and the die hard reds and blues in Tokyo, Oslo and Bangkok lose interest if the locals will remember how they were treated at the very time when clubs had on open door to reward them for their traditional loyalty .... for example the 30,000 or so Man City fans who stuck by the club when they were utter *****.

Stax
27-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Denis Law?

Fair point.

Liam6270
27-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Hahahaha so happy Madrid won

Pete
27-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I have no connection to Edinburgh but I'm a diehard Hibs fan.

People support football clubs for lots of different reasons.

It’s not the same. There will always be quirky ones and I’m pretty sure you don’t follow hibs for the glory. For every case like yours or that boy above who follows Carlisle there are thousands of others who are skewing things by following Celtic, Rangers or a big English team.

cabbageandribs1875
27-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Hahahaha so happy Madrid won

so am i for more than one reason..... but most importantly my wallet £££'s :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
27-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Edinburgh has active supporters clubs for Man Utd, Man City, Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, Arsenal, Aberdeen, both cheeks (several unfortunately) and even some foreign sides such as Frankfurt & Groningen (which many on here will be involved with). Wouldn’t be surprised if there are lots more with so many ex-pats from Poland, Spain, Greece etc.

Carheenlea
27-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Over in Ireland it’s only the big teams in England that folk seem to support. Never met one who didn’t “support” the likes of Manchester United/City and Liverpool from the comfort of the armchair or barstool. Galway United then rarely attract over 4 figures for their home games. I can never take them seriously with their football chat, which is only ever a chat about three or four big English teams.

FilipinoHibs
27-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Enjoyed pumping them in the 1970s. I support Benfica and Santos but they are my parents home team. But Hibs first.

HibbyAndy
27-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Imagine Jordan Henderson being a champions league winner !

H18 SFR
27-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Experienced the exact same but in Hamburg. All Germans bar a few scousers. The place was pandemonium.

Renfrew_Hibby
27-05-2018, 02:37 PM
In Greenock I know of 2 local middle aged men who once upon a time would go and watch Morton. One now has a season ticket for Man City, the other has one for Man United.
Greenock is also home to Scotland only officialy approved FC Barcelona supporters club. They had to prove their support in various ways and raise monies for charities ect ect.
These guys have a vote in electing presidents and so on! They are mostly Celtic fans but now consider Barca as their team.

The Spaceman
27-05-2018, 02:52 PM
I was there in the upstairs room - superb atmosphere. Not a Liverpool supporter but did want them to win.

supermcginn
27-05-2018, 03:16 PM
I've supported newcastle for 28 years im 34 now, there aint been much glory thats for sure but go to at least 6 or 7 games a season and I always will. Brilliant days out and only over an hour on the train.

SingaporeHibs
27-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Living in Singapore I get to see the globalisation of the game in full swing. All the big English teams (and big Euro teams) have supporters clubs, the fans all gather to watch the routine matches but when big games come around, they book out hotel conference suites etc across the city. Hundreds at each venue, all decked out in their team colours. They all know all the history, all the songs, have all the gear, have all the passion. Most won’t have been to England, never mind a match in person. Its quite a sight and a bit surreal but they all believe they support and love their teams as much as any season ticket holder. Just wait for the top 4/5 in England to decide they dont want another TV deal and start selling their own games direct globally. Sky opened the barn door, the horse aint coming back!!

Sammy7nil
27-05-2018, 11:24 PM
I agree i don't get it, unless that is the only team you have an affinity for.
For me it is Hibs and Scotland their games are the only ones I would show any emotion at. All the others are a kick about and the only time I would care is when I have a bet.

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2018, 04:52 AM
I've supported newcastle for 28 years im 34 now, there aint been much glory thats for sure but go to at least 6 or 7 games a season and I always will. Brilliant days out and only over an hour on the train.

IIRC there was a wee period when Newcastle were advertising matches in the EEN .... I remember at the time thinking they had a bloody cheek.

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2018, 05:00 AM
Over in Ireland it’s only the big teams in England that folk seem to support. Never met one who didn’t “support” the likes of Manchester United/City and Liverpool from the comfort of the armchair or barstool. Galway United then rarely attract over 4 figures for their home games. I can never take them seriously with their football chat, which is only ever a chat about three or four big English teams.

Every time you listen to a radio phone in or watch interviews outside Anfield or Old Trafford you will invariably end up with some guy from the ROI talking about how 'we' are going to get on ... fanboys the lot o' them.

AndyM_1875
28-05-2018, 06:20 AM
Growing up in the 80s there were always lots of kids wearing Liverpool shirts in Edinburgh. That was because of Dalglish and the big Scottish connection Liverpool had so I guess some of that has continued .
Having worked & travelled abroad there are three teams from the UK I heard discussed over and over. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Nobody else came close* In terms of size.

*yes this even excluded our needy soap avoiding hoopy pals from Weegieland

Carheenlea
28-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Every time you listen to a radio phone in or watch interviews outside Anfield or Old Trafford you will invariably end up with some guy from the ROI talking about how 'we' are going to get on ... fanboys the lot o' them.

Even the back pages of their newspapers, and sports reports on TV and radio are dominated by the EPL big guns. Radio sports show on a Saturday afternoon has live commentary from Man U/ Liverpool etc. When any of the family are over here they are always amazed at how little media coverage the EPL gets in our newspapers and on Radio Scotland.

JimBHibees
28-05-2018, 06:48 AM
Growing up in the 80s there were always lots of kids wearing Liverpool shirts in Edinburgh. That was because of Dalglish and the big Scottish connection Liverpool had so I guess some of that has continued .
Having worked & travelled abroad there are three teams from the UK I heard discussed over and over. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Nobody else came close* In terms of size.

*yes this even excluded our needy soap avoiding hoopy pals from Weegieland

That cant be right the OLD Firm are a global brand and villages all over the world stop what they are doing to watch or listen in when a match is on, Chick Young told me. :rolleyes: :greengrin

Swedish hibee
28-05-2018, 02:20 PM
We skied more than played football! I blame the Anfield rap for making all these 1980s Swedish kids who couldn't speak a word of English into Liverpool fc fans🙈

Stranraer
28-05-2018, 02:49 PM

I have no interest in English football and I hate to hear Scottish people running down Scottish football. It might not be as good but the passion here is unbeatable. Really annoys me, why would anyone follow an English team when they could follow Hibs?

ac1
28-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Lived in Ireland for a bit and it used to do my head in regarding the attitude to football over there - Scottish football is treated with total contempt save a few token Celtic fans. All of them supporting Liverpool, Man United or basically a Premier League giant. If you mentioned Galway or Cork City they would have no idea what you were on about. Zero passion for their own leagues. Most people regarded Hibs as some kind of amateur side - my wife is Irish and when we met she didn’t believe Hibs were Professional and trained full time!

itslegaltender
28-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Was in Malones as well (sounds like it was full of Hibees!). Great atmosphere.

Hibby70
28-05-2018, 03:39 PM
A guy at work claims to be a Liverpool supporter. Always refers to them as "us" and slags off Scottish football.

I've been to Anfield more than he has and I've only been once.

heretoday
29-05-2018, 04:35 AM

Fair weather fans used to be the term for them.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2018, 08:16 PM
20842 :greengrin

StevieC
31-05-2018, 01:08 AM

Me too, and certainly can't be called a glory hunter!
My gran lived next to the stadium so I would often spend some time there during school holidays. Started going to matches late 70's.
Hibs are always going to be my first team, but I can quite happily say I'm an active Newcastle supporter that can do Easter Road one week and St James' the next. Had some amazing European trips with both Hibs and Newcastle.

Basildon Hibs
31-05-2018, 01:29 AM
Me too, and certainly can't be called a glory hunter!
My gran lived next to the stadium so I would often spend some time there during school holidays. Started going to matches late 70's.
Hibs are always going to be my first team, but I can quite happily say I'm an active Newcastle supporter that can do Easter Road one week and St James' the next. Had some amazing European trips with both Hibs and Newcastle.

Why..? My uncles (One supported St Benards and the other Leith Athletic) and they never got any where near Europe ,,,

IGRIGI
31-05-2018, 04:45 AM
A guy at work claims to be a Liverpool supporter. Always refers to them as "us" and slags off Scottish football.

I've been to Anfield more than he has and I've only been once.

Cringetastic.