PDA

View Full Version : 4 years ago today.......

sauzee6_2
25-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Not a good day, but would we be where we are today without it??

Ryan91
25-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Even if we stayed up, things were going to change, but I think that going down in the manner we did was a catalyst for the changes happening faster.

It was a shock to us all, but we're stronger for it.

The Spaceman
25-05-2018, 04:52 PM
It was horrendous when we went down, very dark times for our club.

However, the seasons that have followed that day have been my most enjoyable as a Hibs fan, capped off by a Scottish Cup win which will see all of us die happy Hibees. So, in a weird way, I am thankful for us going down as it was the final straw for our club accepting mediocrity/obscurity and, instead, growing a pair.

25-05-2018, 07:48 PM
I will never see relegation as a good thing, it was a very very low point in the clubs history and we should never have ended up like that but unfortunatly it had been years in the making. Year after year after year of poor signings and as a club accepting mediocrity. Frighteneing to look back at what a state we were in.

HOWEVER, in hindsight it was probably the massive wake up call and kick up the arse we desperately needed. If we had managed to survive we would have left ER that day relieved and just thankful the season was finally over. The relegation probably caused the outrage, anger and ultimately the huge spark that we needed to do something. I know Leeann was coming in anyway so yes changes would have been made anyway but perhaps going down gave us the opportunity to fully rebuild and start again.

The club since then have been reformed from top to bottom and we are, in every way, stronger and better. I hope many elssons have been learned and that we never ever find ourselves in that state again.

25-05-2018, 07:54 PM
It was horrendous when we went down, very dark times for our club.

However, the seasons that have followed that day have been my most enjoyable as a Hibs fan, capped off by a Scottish Cup win which will see all of us die happy Hibees. So, in a weird way, I am thankful for us going down as it was the final straw for our club accepting mediocrity/obscurity and, instead, growing a pair.

This. We've toughened up massively as a club. Much needed!

Northernhibee
25-05-2018, 08:08 PM
It would have been unjust for us to stay up. The first leg win was against the run of play and the second leg we were abysmal, lead by the worst manager in our history and his bullys backing him up.

Everything we go through shapes us and without the hammerblow of relegation we may not have changed so dramatically, just like perhaps the disappointments of the League Cup final and the Premiership Play offs in 2016 were what fuelled us on 21st May.

What a rollercoaster it's been since relegation.

G B Young
25-05-2018, 08:12 PM
I've seen us relegated three times during my time as a Hibs fan. In 1979/80, just a few weeks after contesting a marathon three-game Scottish Cup final with Rangers we started the season poorly and despite the colourful distraction of George Best we never put together a run of results that ever looked like saving us. Hibs had been in decline for a few years but I remember thinking relegation was only something that happened to Hearts, who were already well into their yo-yo period.

Back then there was nowhere near as much close-season transfer activity and we started the First Division with pretty much the same squad which took us down. Fortunately they were still good enough to win the title at the first time of asking but we hadn't really built any sort of foundation for the future and the early 80s were a time of mediocrity, lack of cash and a sense that club had very much lost its way.

The Alex Miller years, whatever you thought of him, gave us a bit of solidity back as well as a memorable Skol Cup win and saw a better quality of player at the club, but we were on the slide again when he left and Jim Duffy effectively took us down. However, the appointment of Alex McLeish, which came too late to stave off relegation, nevertheless meant we went into the First Division campaign with a bit of optimism and we enjoyed a very good few years under Eck.

The relegation under Butcher, as others have pointed out, had been years in the making although, like Duffy, it required a manager who simply wasn't up to the job to send us down. I remember thinking after the Hamilton play-off that this was pretty much as low as I'd ever felt as a Hibs fan and I fully expected us to spend a few years in the Championship. However, what I didn't expect was the hugely refreshing rebuild of the club from top to bottom and with the benefit of hindsight the disgrace of that relegation was more than compensated for what has taken place since.

shetlandhibee
25-05-2018, 08:18 PM
I've seen us relegated three times during my time as a Hibs fan. In 1979/80, just a few weeks after contesting a marathon three-game Scottish Cup final with Rangers we started the season poorly and despite the colourful distraction of George Best we never put together a run of results that ever looked like saving us. Hibs had been in decline for a few years but I remember thinking relegation was only something that happened to Hearts, who were already well into their yo-yo period.

Back then there was nowhere near as much close-season transfer activity and we started the First Division with pretty much the same squad which took us down. Fortunately they were still good enough to win the title at the first time of asking but we hadn't really built any sort of foundation for the future and the early 80s were a time of mediocrity, lack of cash and a sense that club had very much lost its way.

The Alex Miller years, whatever you thought of him, gave us a bit of solidity back as well as a memorable Skol Cup win and saw a better quality of player at the club, but we were on the slide again when he left and Jim Duffy effectively took us down. However, the appointment of Alex McLeish, which came too late to stave off relegation, nevertheless meant we went into the First Division campaign with a bit of optimism and we enjoyed a very good few years under Eck.

The relegation under Butcher, as others have pointed out, had been years in the making although, like Duffy, it required a manager who simply wasn't up to the job to send us down. I remember thinking after the Hamilton play-off that this was pretty much as low as I'd ever felt as a Hibs fan and I fully expected us to spend a few years in the Championship. However, what I didn't expect was the hugely refreshing rebuild of the club from top to bottom and with the benefit of hindsight the disgrace of that relegation was more than compensated for what has taken place since.absolutly spot on:agree::top marks

marleyhib
25-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Definitely a good thing to get relegated.

Massive reboot was needed and our recent success has all been down to Leanne Dempster.

SC win was absolutely massive for us, obviously !
Without belief you get nowhere, we have it and neil has been able to push us forwards on the back of it.

Great time for hibs and to be Hibee . Just hope it lasts, this time I think it will

25-05-2018, 08:31 PM

The relegation under Butcher, as others have pointed out, had been years in the making although, like Duffy, it required a manager who simply wasn't up to the job to send us down. I remember thinking after the Hamilton play-off that this was pretty much as low as I'd ever felt as a Hibs fan and I fully expected us to spend a few years in the Championship. However, what I didn't expect was the hugely refreshing rebuild of the club from top to bottom and with the benefit of hindsight the disgrace of that relegation was more than compensated for what has taken place since.

This :aok:

snooky
25-05-2018, 08:31 PM

The life of a Hibs supporter ->
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/big_dipper

BILLYHIBS
25-05-2018, 08:53 PM

:top marks

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-05-2018, 09:16 PM
I've witnessed 2 relegations now. The years preceding relegation, the reality is it could have happened 2/3 years beforehand.

We've also had 3 very good hibs teams in that period. Sauzee, latapy etc under Mcleish. Teenage kicks era and now. 2 of the 3 teams followed on from relegation and had a sensational spine, great record vs hearts and flair.

As much as the Mowbray team excited me, we lacked a mental strength that is visible in the current squad.

Im not saying we wouldn't have disposed of butcher or that we wouldn't have appointed stubbs. We might even have won the Scottish.

Winning that scottish, coupled with LeeAnn being at the club and then appointing Neil Lennon. THIS Hibernian FC is an entirely different football club from what I've known the majority of my life.

Bring on the future but i won't now be embarrassed by that relegation

B.H.F.C
25-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Still don’t think relegation can ever be termed as a good thing.

I think Butcher would have left even if we’d stayed up. The first two years in the championship were grim and crowds were reflective of that.

The Scottish Cup win changed everything. We’ll never know if it would have, but it could have happened if we’d stayed up. I don’t think our recruitment would have been too different from the point Dempster came in.

tonyrougier123
25-05-2018, 10:12 PM
It was a dire time,what irked me was how we were clearly heading in the wrong direction for a good few seasons but frustratingly kept on that path.what happened after that was hibs reborn!we progressed when faced with adversity as hibs do often, each time getting better,hopefully no more backward steps to glory.

Onion
25-05-2018, 11:14 PM

Too often folk talk about blessings in disguise but this was a classic example. No way would we have won the cup. In turn, no way would we have Lennon as manager.

4 yrs ago were dark days indeed, but the progress since then has been simply astonishing. I'd take it all over again.

AZhibee
25-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Hard to conceptualize that relegation was a good thing, like others have pointed out. However similar to other posters experiences, I was invigorated by the challenge of getting back to the premiership. I will always fondly remember those years despite being in the championship. Undoubtedly the cup win was a big contributor to that sentiment.

Thecat23
25-05-2018, 11:32 PM
I read on here that changes were coming and relegation wasn’t good for us at all. I get why some may think it. But.. If we stayed up Butcher was staying trust me! The club wouldn’t have had the time they got to rebuild either with the demands of top flight Football.

Guys on here who know Hanlon and Stevenson will know they both now agree going down actually jolted this club into life. This wouldn’t have happened otherwise. So yes this day 4 years ago hurt more than any defeat I’d suffered as a Hibs fan, but this day should always be remembered as the day Hibernian FC rose up from the ashes rebuilt a boardroom, rebuilt staff, rebuilt a team and finally rebuilt the pride that we all thought was gone for a long time.

Was it good for hibs.... You better believe it! We are stronger, wiser and in a far better place now than my whole time following Hibs. 🇳🇬

JimBHibees
26-05-2018, 07:16 AM
I read on here that changes were coming and relegation wasn’t good for us at all. I get why some may think it. But.. If we stayed up Butcher was staying trust me! The club wouldn’t have had the time they got to rebuild either with the demands of top flight Football.

Guys on here who know Hanlon and Stevenson will know they both now agree going down actually jolted this club into life. This wouldn’t have happened otherwise. So yes this day 4 years ago hurt more than any defeat I’d suffered as a Hibs fan, but this day should always be remembered as the day Hibernian FC rose up from the ashes rebuilt a boardroom, rebuilt staff, rebuilt a team and finally rebuilt the pride that we all thought was gone for a long time.

Was it good for hibs.... You better believe it! We are stronger, wiser and in a far better place now than my whole time following Hibs. 🇳🇬

Totally agree it needed something as monumental as a relegation to force the club to act so quickly. Personally think Butcher would have stayed if we had won the play off.

Eyrie
26-05-2018, 07:57 AM

Generally I do, but I can't see how Butcher could have co-existed with Dempster or adapted his methods to the new structure under Craig. The only surprise was that Dempster waited until after his holiday to call him in for a discussion that could only have one outcome. We weren't up to much under Fenlon, but Butcher took us downhill fast.

Was it good for hibs.... You better believe it! We are stronger, wiser and in a far better place now than my whole time following Hibs. ����

I'd agree with that though.

Chic Murray
26-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Hard to believe it's only been four years. The journey has been incredible since then. It's hard to imagine that first season in the Championship with the dark green strip. What's so good is looking at the growth of the club, season by season.

IGRIGI
26-05-2018, 08:12 AM
I've always wondered if the changes would've come if we had stayed up but on reflection I think relegation gave us the full 100% deep cleanse of the old mentality and way of working that was required.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2018, 08:14 AM
I will never accept that relegation will ever be a good thing for us.

jockodile
26-05-2018, 08:47 AM

Relegation was devastating, especially following the 2012,
and, to lesser extent, 2013 unsucessful shots at glory.

Maybe having Hearts and Sevco in that league in yr 1 helped make it feel a virtual SPL but the longer we stayed in it the longer you start to think of Leeds United.

The league cup final in 2016 was absolutely gutting at the time but in retrospect it has no long term impact.

Maybe we needed to lose in order to win.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-05-2018, 09:04 AM

The night is darkest before the dawn SDG.

I doubt any would say "relegation was great for us, let's do ut again" however, with hindsight we can all reflect back on it and say it probably couldn't have worked out any better.

If we didn't get relegated, we've no idea how the future would have panned out. All we know now is that we've won the Scottish Cup and have such a demand for tickets most teams are getting reduced allocations at ER these days and we have Neil Lennon as manager. Its going pretty ****ing well