PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for 2018/19 ?

Onion
25-05-2018, 01:15 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-must-match-growing-demands-of-their-fan-base-1-4744562

Is Murdo right, do we really expect Hibs to get 2nd place next season ?

Personally, would be happy with consolidating our top 4 place and a cup final.

JimBHibees
25-05-2018, 01:17 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-must-match-growing-demands-of-their-fan-base-1-4744562

I think that is what we should aim for however likelihood is Rangers will be stronger and we may be fighting for 3rd.

Brightside
25-05-2018, 01:34 PM
The aim was top6 this year....we have over achieved. The aim should be top4 next season with a decent Cup run.

PatHead
25-05-2018, 01:34 PM
2nd in the league, a cup final and a semi final in the other cup.

HibeeHibernian4
25-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Aim for a better start to the season than last year, cut out the draws against the bottom 6 sides, consolidate a top 6 place by New Year and then push on to challenge for third and/or second. And win a tie in Europe, and make an appearance at Hampden in one of the cups.

RoslinInstHibby
25-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Big IF but IF we managed to start the season with the team we ended it with I genuinely don't see why we wouldn't finish 2nd

iwasthere1972
25-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Above the Hearts.

Billy Whizz
25-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Top 3 and a cup for me is my expectation

Thecat23
25-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Top 3 or 4 every season should be what we are aiming for now. Plus good cup runs in both comps.

CorrieHibs
25-05-2018, 01:48 PM
3rd or 4th, and a cup win would be fantastic.

B.H.F.C
25-05-2018, 01:50 PM
To finish the season with something to show for it. Be it a trophy or a European place. Preferably both.

Not In The Know
25-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Above the Hearts.

5th aint good enough!

danhibees1875
25-05-2018, 01:57 PM
I would be happy with top 4 again.

The last time we were in the top 4 in consecutive seasons was 2004-06, time before that was 1974-76.

Of course, we should be "aiming" for 2nd though. Just my expectations, and level I'd be happy with, are a bit lower.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Consolidate what we have, and Hampden for a semi or a final please depending on the luck of the draw.

Jim44
25-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Above the Hearts.

Don’t be as shallow as them. :greengrin

4th place for us will see off the Jambos.

Centre Hawf
25-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Same as any other season for me. I always go into it hoping that we nick a cup win or at least make it to Hampden, and finish strongly in the league (usually 3rd but 4th isn't a bad place either)

J-C
25-05-2018, 02:18 PM
After this season it's what we should be aiming for, yes we'll still be vying with Aberdeen and Rangers for 2nd spot but competition is what is needed in Scottish football, a strong top 4-6 clubs putting pressure on Celtic.

Big_Franck
25-05-2018, 02:46 PM
He's wrong, we as a support don't expect second next season. We would be stupid and arrogant to expect 2nd with Sevco and Aberdeen's budgets.

What I expect is for us is to dominate Hertz again, be challenging in the top 4, get to Hampden again and hopefully qualify for the Europa League again. That would be a good season.

JDHibs
25-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Top 4 but close to 3rd.
Cup Semi, atleast 1.

This is the minimum standard we should aim for every year going forward. Realistically, Sevco and Aberdeen will both have bigger budgets than us, they will strengthen, we will do well to keep up!

lord bunberry
25-05-2018, 03:19 PM
We should be looking to keep the current squad together and adding a few quality players and mounting a serious title challenge. Since the winter transfer window closed we were the best team in the league. What’s wrong with you all? The only thing that would put a spanner in the works is a decent run in Europe. Rangers will be a shambles again next season, and Celtic are showing signs of weakness. Now is the time.
ggtth.

IGRIGI
25-05-2018, 03:27 PM
We should be aiming for 2nd and a cup final however expectations should be top 4 and a visit to Hampden.

All depends on how the squad looks like come end of August.

Most likely Killie under Clark won't have a horrid start again and Hearts won't be as bad as this year, still to see how mental Rangers will go with spending.

Spudster
25-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Above the Hearts.

I don't fancy the playoffs again TBH

allezsauzee
25-05-2018, 03:38 PM
I expect to be entertained first and foremost. If we can have some success in the cups and finish top 3 while playing good football then all well and good.

TelaStella
25-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Historically after a good season like we’ve had we never seem to match it again the next time but I’m confident things will remain on the up for us. Personally I’d be happy with getting through the first part of Europe or at least winning one of the ties and would be delighted with another top 4 finish. Think we could grab the league cup too if we really go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souter96Mac
25-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Europe: win a tie (then rely on luck of draw)
Cups: visit to Hampden at least once
League: top 4

Diclonius
25-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Minimum: 4th/5th place, at least one cup QF, even record v Hearts
Hoping for: Compete for 2nd/3rd, at least one semi final, winning record v Hearts
Great season: 2nd/3rd, cup final, unbeaten v Hearts
Amazing season: Win a cup.

IGRIGI
25-05-2018, 04:27 PM
A win at Tynecastle wouldn't go a miss ether.

Alex Trager
25-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Above the Hearts.

Very hearts attitude. **** them.

Alex Trager
25-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Higher in the league and better in the cups

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2018, 05:07 PM
The aim should be to win the league, that should be the aim every season .... we wont, but that should be the aim.

Murdo is wrong, we wont be expecting to finish 2nd ... if anybody is we have got ahead of ourselves ... but if we can replicate the 2nd half of last season then we can certainly be optimistic about our chances. If we were guaranteed to keep this team together then 2nd would be a more than realistic aim ... the problem is we aren't and until we see what we have at the end of the transfer window nobody can predict anything.

For Hibs in any season, never mind next season, the potential of the club should be a European place and a cup semi final as we did this season, if we do that we are entitled to call it a good season.

Any season where we win something is a brilliant season and from that point of view with a favourable draw we have every chance of doing so, in a one off game we are capable of beating anybody and the hope is that we start the season with a team capable of living up to that outlook.

Seveno
25-05-2018, 05:12 PM
2nd or 3rd plus a cup win. Playing same entertaining football as last season.

Ronniekirk
25-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Top 3 and a cup for me is my expectation

Cup Win?add in and to beat Hearts in every game we play them Has to happen one Season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2018, 05:33 PM
1st or I'm not going back

Sir David Gray
25-05-2018, 05:38 PM
All depends on the Gerrard experiment.

If that goes tits up then I don't see why 2nd shouldn't be attainable. If it goes well then realistically Sevco are out of reach.

We should be aiming for 3rd at the very least.

Keith_M
25-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Top Six, please.

calumhibee1
25-05-2018, 05:40 PM
If we get back Allan and Kamberi then I’m saying second.

Just Jimmy
25-05-2018, 05:41 PM
2nd.

Lennon is the best manager in the country (Rogers doesn't count as anyone could manager Celtic to the league).

We are a little short but we should add. I trust the board to back Lennon and I trust Lennon to deliver.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hamish
25-05-2018, 05:45 PM
The aim was top6 this year....we have over achieved. The aim should be top4 next season with a decent Cup run.

Correct.

howdenthehibby
25-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Top 4 and League cup Semi , Narrow defeat by Celtic who go on to win it, Scottish Cup Win denying Celtic the treble treble.Its written in the stars folks.

Greenbeard
25-05-2018, 06:22 PM
The aim should be to win the league, that should be the aim every season .... we wont, but that should be the aim.

Murdo is wrong, we wont be expecting to finish 2nd ... if anybody is we have got ahead of ourselves ... but if we can replicate the 2nd half of last season then we can certainly be optimistic about our chances. If we were guaranteed to keep this team together then 2nd would be a more than realistic aim ... the problem is we aren't and until we see what we have at the end of the transfer window nobody can predict anything.

For Hibs in any season, never mind next season, the potential of the club should be a European place and a cup semi final as we did this season, if we do that we are entitled to call it a good season.

Any season where we win something is a brilliant season and from that point of view with a favourable draw we have every chance of doing so, in a one off game we are capable of beating anybody and the hope is that we start the season with a team capable of living up to that outlook.

Nail on the head. Expectation = minimum acceptable standard which will fluctuate season to season. But as things stand, and irrespective of departures/signings, then based on 2nd half form, top four should be the absolute minimum standard expected for 18-19. Recruitment should be being undertaken with this in mind ie we start the season with a squad which makes us DEFINITELY a top-4 team. Then there's the "hope" target (eg top 2/3, cup final), the "dream" target (runners-up and cup win) and the "wet-dream" target (treble, 20-0 aggregate score for the season v. the gunts, and the return of the Tennent's Lager Lovelies as Easter Road stewards).

Waxy
25-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Top 4 with a cup final hopefully at least.
At most a league/Cup double.If we’re ever going to do it it’s probably now.

Captain Trips
25-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Pushing for 2nd and I think that's what NL will be thinking.

SRHibs
25-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Top 4 with good cup runs and I’m content. Will also help if we keep Rangers and their wee pals in our back pockets.

bingo70
25-05-2018, 07:26 PM
I want to qualify for Europe again.

If that means 4th place then that’s fine with me.

LancsHibs
25-05-2018, 07:55 PM
A trip to Baku at the end of the season😉

25-05-2018, 07:58 PM
We have to build on whats been a very good season so 3rd or 2nd has to be the aim which hopefully a good cup as well which sees us at least back to Hampden. Get to Hampden in the cup and anything can happen from there.

Lancs Harp
25-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Europa cup winners
SPL winners
League cup winners
Scottish cup winners

Dare to dream, this is a new dawn.:wink:

WhileTheChief..
25-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Get through some Euro ties and least get one big team in the last qualifying round.

Top 4.

Hampden at least once.

LustForLeith
25-05-2018, 09:31 PM
A warm, edible pie at half time and I’ll be delighted

leither17
25-05-2018, 09:34 PM
I’m having a couple of quid on us to win it

EricM
25-05-2018, 09:36 PM
I believe we're in for something really special with Lennon as our manager, we can get to the Europa league group stage.

AgentDaleCooper
25-05-2018, 09:39 PM
We need to break our points record again. Position will take care of its self :aok:

PatHead
25-05-2018, 09:41 PM
2nd in the league, a cup final and a semi final in the other cup.

Forgot to add getting through at least one round of the Europa Cup

mim
25-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Not sure if it's expectation or hope, but what I look for next season is to watch my team playing good football home and away. I'll be there.
Finishing position is a bit irrelevant (unless Celtic are liquidated). Hampden visits would be nice tho. :greengrin

Eyrie
25-05-2018, 09:55 PM
My realistic expectations are a top four finish, two good cup runs and to make it through our first round in Europe.

My ambitions are second, a cup win and to make it through the first two rounds in Europe.

Stuart93
25-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Think it depends on what our team looks like come the start

Lancs Harp
25-05-2018, 10:36 PM
We are Hibs we rule supreme or alternatively fail with class.:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Progress, no matter how big or small. If we do better than this season we will have done very well.

Dashing Bob S
26-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Probably win the Europa and at least one of the domestic pair. If we’re on Celtics coattails after a Christmas the flag is a possibility. The real intrigue will be the next seasons European Super Cup v Hearts.

Lancs Harp
26-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Programme of the year is a must.

Forza Fred
26-05-2018, 12:26 AM
There appears to be a bit of a crossover by some between the words “expectations” and “hopes”

The way I see it....

Celtic...will probably win the league but will be pushed harder
Rangers...will get a short term boost by borrowing and be improved on this season
Aberdeen...will be around the top three places
hertz......done little by way of recruitment to make me think they will be much different to how they finished, but it must be remembered there is no Cathro Bonus next season, so expect them to marginally improve.
Killie......they will have lost the ‘surprise’ factor and hover around sixth place with Motherwell..

Us?

Really too early too say......none of us can confidently predict which players we will or won’t have, so the volatility barometer is in danger of swinging either way.

We could, depending on the next few weeks be a team largely in transition, or a settled side looking to progress.

If we make the top four again, then in my book it will have been a successful season, but that could change, as I say due to player movement.

Lancs Harp
26-05-2018, 12:30 AM
There appears to be a bit of a crossover by some between the words “expectations” and “hopes”

The way I see it....

Celtic...will probably win the league but will be pushed harder
Rangers...will get a short term boost by borrowing and be improved on this season
Aberdeen...will be around the top three places
hertz......done little by way of recruitment to make me think they will be much different to how they finished, but it must be remembered there is no Cathro Bonus next season, so expect them to marginally improve.
Killie......they will have lost the ‘surprise’ factor and hover around sixth place with Motherwell..

Us?

Really too early too say......none of us can confidently predict which players we will or won’t have, so the volatility barometer is in danger of swinging either way.

We could, depending on the next few weeks be a team largely in transition, or a settled side looking to progress.

If we make the top four again, then in my book it will have been a successful season, but that could change, as I say due to player movement.

Neil Lennon wont settle on finishing fourth. We've had a great season, next season must be better.

hibbydog
26-05-2018, 04:35 AM
Top four and a cup final would be good. satisfactory. Punching our weight.

I’m looking for some progress in Europe. Our long term goal should be to regularly make the group stages of the Europa league. It’s an ambitious goal and we’re probably a few years away from it yet. It’s bloody difficult with the qualifiers being pre-season for us.

So for now I’d like to see us win a couple of ties and restore some credibility after the Malmo debacle.

SouthMoroccoStu
26-05-2018, 05:44 AM
2nd or 3rd plus a cup win. Playing same entertaining football as last season.

Perfect for me!

League cup to mean we’ve won both domestic trophies in the space of 3 seasons

Cut out the daft draws and we have nothing to fear from Celtic and The Rangers

Sir David Gray
26-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Top four and a cup final would be good. satisfactory. Punching our weight.

I’m looking for some progress in Europe. Our long term goal should be to regularly make the group stages of the Europa league. It’s an ambitious goal and we’re probably a few years away from it yet. It’s bloody difficult with the qualifiers being pre-season for us.

So for now I’d like to see us win a couple of ties and restore some credibility after the Malmo debacle.

Surely we did that against Brondby?

hibbydog
26-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Surely we did that against Brondby?

We did sir.

And I was proud of them. But I still can’t remember the last time we went into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years?

Some progress in Europe would be a giant step forward for us and not beyond our grasp. Would really like to see this.

Pagan Hibernia
26-05-2018, 07:07 AM
We did sir.

And I was proud of them. But I still can’t remember the last time we went into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years?

Some progress in Europe would be a giant step forward for us and not beyond our grasp. Would really like to see this.

Financially it would be huge. And in the unlikely event of making the group stage it would be a game changer for the club

H18 SFR
26-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Six games in Europa League qualifiers. 3rd/4th, league cup semi/final, Scottish cup semi/final and a good show by the unders in the challenge cup.

Hibrandenburg
26-05-2018, 07:32 AM
I think we might take a step backwards this year. We're looking at potentially losing the core of a good team and replacing them will take more than 1 seasons. Hope I'm wrong but I can't see how we can improve on what we might lose.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2018, 07:47 AM
We did sir.

We got through a round in the Intertoto Cup in 2006-07 against Dinaburg.

In terms of the UEFA Cup/Europa League, the last time we won a tie was in 1989-90 against Videoton.

However to put that into some kind of context, in the 29 years since then, we have only qualified for that tournament on six previous occasions. We have gone on to lose to Anderlecht (away goals), AEK Athens (extra time), Dnipro (5-1), Maribor (6-2), Malmo (9-0) and Brondby (penalties).

There's some mixed outcomes in there. The Maribor and Malmo games came when we were particularly bad as well. We all know what happened the season we played Malmo and the year we played Maribor we finished 10th.

I think we have a great shot at winning a round this year. We would almost certainly be unseeded in the second round so that would be a lot harder but we'll just need to see what happens.

Baw187
26-05-2018, 08:02 AM

In terms of the UEFA Cup/Europa League, the last time we won a tie was in 1989-90 against Videoton.

However to put that into some kind of context, in the 29 years since then, we have only qualified for that tournament on six previous occasions. We have gone on to lose to Anderlecht (away goals), AEK Athens (extra time), Dnipro (5-1), Maribor (6-2), Malmo (9-0) and Brondby (penalties).

There's some mixed outcomes in there. The Maribor and Malmo games came when we were particularly bad as well. We all know what happened the season we played Malmo and the year we played Maribor we finished 10th.

I think we have a great shot at winning a round this year. We would almost certainly be unseeded in the second round so that would be a lot harder but we'll just need to see what happens.

I think if we get most of the team back that we finished the season with, the continuity along with Lennon’s coaching ability at that level makes me hopeful that we could have a very good go at the Europa league qualifying.

He nearly had us putting Brondby our after a month in charge, what will he be able to do 2 years down the line with a semi settled squad?

Stranraer
26-05-2018, 11:12 AM
He's wrong, we as a support don't expect second next season. We would be stupid and arrogant to expect 2nd with Sevco and Aberdeen's budgets.

What I expect is for us is to dominate Hertz again, be challenging in the top 4, get to Hampden again and hopefully qualify for the Europa League again. That would be a good season.

Completely agree with this. At the start of last season I told my mates I would be happy with top 6, turns out we're much better than that.

ian cruise
26-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Top 4 and good cup run minimum expectation.

2nd would be outstanding.

Would hope for at least one semi final, but would expect at least one quarter final. Obviously a cup win would be amazing but I'd never seta cup win as an expectation.

Same as last season and don't think I'd complain, while 2nd or 3rd would have been amazing I'd be lying if I didn't say I really enjoyed it. Overall one of my best as a Hibs supporter.

Keith_M
26-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Fill in the North East corner and make it the new Family Section.

Move all the ST holders currently in the FF Lower into that corner.

Convert FF Lower to proper terracing (no 'rail seating') and designate it as the Singing Section.

Beat Hearts every time we play them.

Oh and don't get relegated

:greengrin

Tha Cabbage Kid
26-05-2018, 11:34 AM
I expect no less that the treble. And a 8-0 versus the jams. And if we don't achieve that we need to get rid of Lennon and bring in a better manager! [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

wookie70
26-05-2018, 11:35 AM
I'd be quite happy with the same again in terms of League position and one semi final, Europe would be a bonus. What I would like is that the football of the second half of the season is what we play all year. We were very easy on the eye after Allen, Flo and McLaren joined and that hasn't necessarily been a feature of Lennon's teams. Much will depend on personnel but our budget says around 4th so that is fine by me. If we can do that playing the brand of football we saw at the tail end of the year then I'll be more than happy with that.

Tha Cabbage Kid
26-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Would be happy with the Scottish cup and a top 5 finish. Would cap this season

Tha Cabbage Kid
26-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Financially it would be huge. And in the unlikely event of making the group stage it would be a game changer for the clubI agree. If we can make the group stages that would give us a fantastic financial boost. I think it could be possible if we can keep DM and bring in an good experienced midfielder. And experienced striker.

Tha Cabbage Kid
26-05-2018, 11:44 AM
I think the difference this year is we have a manager who is experienced in European games. When was the last manager who had his kind of experience??

HibbyAndy
26-05-2018, 12:58 PM
top 4 minimum should be at least the target every single year

mutley
26-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Honestly, for me 3rd, with a cup. I would love to see 2nd and pushing Celtic t the edge for 1st, but we have done so much better last season that I expected I would have been happy with top 6 but the way the team / manager got results, for a minute I thought 2nd was in the bag.

3rd and a cup would be progress on 17/18, and the 19/20 I hope Hibs really push the boat out and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A Hi-Bee
26-05-2018, 01:42 PM
My expectations are never to predict what Hibs will end up doing, but we as a club should always be going for a place in one of the European competitions no more and no less.

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2018, 02:04 PM

The two defeats from Dnipro and Maribor can be put into perspective though ... That was right at the start of a big improvement in Ukrainian football, its no joke drawing one of their clubs in Europe these days, and Maribor went on to be decent in Europe on a regular basis.

Making the Europa league group stages would be massive for us, the ticket sales, prize money and TV revenue would blow anything we have earned previously out of the water. A site called 'Total Sportek' gives the prize money breakdown as follows:

Ist qualifying round ....... 215,000 Euros
2nd qualifying round ...... 225,000 Euros
3rd qualifying round ....... 220,000 Euros

Group stages ..... 2,600,000 Euros ( guaranteed )
For winning a game .... 360,000, Euros
For a draw .... 120,000 Euros

If we made it to the group stages and won every home game and drew all our away games in the group with the prize money from qualifying we would earn 4,700,000 Euros and that's just in prize money ..... say we played to full houses in our third qualifying game and all the group games at an average of £25 a ticket, that would be another £2,000,000

For first place in a group you earn a bonus of 600,000 Euros ... for 2nd its 300,000

Get to the group stages and finish 2nd if you chuck in 15,000 crowds for qualifying rounds one and two you could be walking away with about £7,000,000 ...... that's a game changer for a club like us :greengrin

SlickShoes
26-05-2018, 02:09 PM
As a fan top 4 finish, with a cup final and europe would be a great season.

The players and manager should be trying to win every competition they are in.

I'd be very disappointed if we finished mid table.

CentreLine
26-05-2018, 03:25 PM
The two defeats from Dnipro and Maribor can be put into perspective though ... That was right at the start of a big improvement in Ukrainian football, its no joke drawing one of their clubs in Europe these days, and Maribor went on to be decent in Europe on a regular basis.

Making the Europa league group stages would be massive for us, the ticket sales, prize money and TV revenue would blow anything we have earned previously out of the water. A site called 'Total Sportek' gives the prize money breakdown as follows:

Ist qualifying round ....... 215,000 Euros
2nd qualifying round ...... 225,000 Euros
3rd qualifying round ....... 220,000 Euros

Group stages ..... 2,600,000 Euros ( guaranteed )
For winning a game .... 360,000, Euros
For a draw .... 120,000 Euros

If we made it to the group stages and won every home game and drew all our away games in the group with the prize money from qualifying we would earn 4,700,000 Euros and that's just in prize money ..... say we played to full houses in our third qualifying game and all the group games at an average of £25 a ticket, that would be another £2,000,000

For first place in a group you earn a bonus of 600,000 Euros ... for 2nd its 300,000

Get to the group stages and finish 2nd if you chuck in 15,000 crowds for qualifying rounds one and two you could be walking away with about £7,000,000 ...... that's a game changer for a club like us :greengrin

All sounds wonderful and no harm I’m positivity but I think we need to take one step at a time. The reality is that no Scottish club, outside of Celtic, have made it past the qualifiers for over five years. I do think NL is capable of stearing us forward but l let’s do little steps first. 👍🏻

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2018, 04:29 PM
All sounds wonderful and no harm I’m positivity but I think we need to take one step at a time. The reality is that no Scottish club, outside of Celtic, have made it past the qualifiers for over five years. I do think NL is capable of stearing us forward but l let’s do little steps first. 👍🏻

I know mate, I was just musing .... If Neil Lennon could take us as far as 2nd in a Europa league group he should be knighted and the ground named after him and a statue put up, and the Nobel peace prize ... in fact give him the lot :greengrin