PDA

View Full Version : Recycling at Easter Road next season ?

GreenCastle
25-05-2018, 07:37 AM
Mentioned a while ago an idea for Hibs to lead the way and that involved more recycling around and in the stadium.

Less litter dropping during games meaning less mess possibly ending up in the local area / community.

As we know the seagulls are a nightmare at times and it would be great if Hibs could lead the way with an iniative to help combat this.

Green bins (works with with our Colours - and maybe add a bit of fun to it with 2 players / 2 bins next to each other - see which player fills up the quickest) and even do some promo work to encourage people to put their rubbish away - before - during and after the game before games and around stadium.

Just because this has been the norm in the past doesn’t mean it’s the way forward looking ahead.

I would also still like to see Hibs improve the catering aspect - healthier options - cheaper prices and introduce contactless.

Hibee Mac
25-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Might sound a bit radical here but at some point in the future we're going to have to get people to start bringing their own cups to places to be filled and re-used.

"Recycling" a paper cup is not as green as it sounds, and that's assuming it's not plastic lined in which case you may as well chuck it in the general waste.

Just think of the amount of needless junk that is made and thrown away just during one football game, mental.

BegbieHSC
25-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Absolutely - good for the environment, and with clearly displayed recycling options, this might stop us seeing stuff like those paper Pizza plates rolling around pitch-side, making the seagulls go radge.

danhibees1875
25-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Might sound a bit radical here but at some point in the future we're going to have to get people to start bringing their own cups to places to be filled and re-used.

"Recycling" a paper cup is not as green as it sounds, and that's assuming it's not plastic lined in which case you may as well chuck it in the general waste.

Just think of the amount of needless junk that is made and thrown away just during one football game, mental.

Costa etc have the right idea with giving people 20p off when they bring their own cup. I think that will be more widely adopted with time.

Although more generally needs to be done and the proposals above are better than the status quo anyway.

HappyAsHellas
25-05-2018, 08:19 AM

You do realise that on health grounds you are not allowed to refill drinking glasses, cups etc to stop the spread of disease? As for taking a cup to a game can you imagine the search procedures for every fan? I'm all for recycling but let's keep our feet on the ground.

1van Sprou7e
25-05-2018, 08:32 AM

The unfortunate reality is that most recycling is barely more eco friendly than just checking it in the landfill

Recycling is mostly a means to shift responsibility for waste management from the producers to the consumers

Having said that it's marginally better than nothing so I'm behind the idea

Hibee Mac
25-05-2018, 09:34 AM
You do realise that on health grounds you are not allowed to refill drinking glasses, cups etc to stop the spread of disease? As for taking a cup to a game can you imagine the search procedures for every fan? I'm all for recycling but let's keep our feet on the ground.

My point was more that yes recycling is good, but it doesn't solve the problem in the long term that's all. I'm not proposing that as of next season let's all start bringing our own cups...

And on the disease point, really? I'm hardly going to spread a disease to myself by reusing my own cup? 😂

WestCoastHibby
25-05-2018, 09:36 AM
There's a lot of dreaming goes on about recycling.
If we just used "less" in the first place it would be a lot better. You will never be allowed to bring your own containers containers so plastic cups are what they are

danhibees1875
25-05-2018, 09:40 AM
There's a lot of dreaming goes on about recycling.
If we just used "less" in the first place it would be a lot better. You will never be allowed to bring your own containers containers so plastic cups are what they are

:agree:

Reduce, reuse, recycle; in that order.

Why won't you be allowed to bring your own container? Do you mean on security grounds? So long as it's empty, I don't think it would be an issue.

Bishop Hibee
25-05-2018, 09:41 AM
The club should get a partnership with Vegeware. Local Edinburgh company and all cups are compostable.

Alex Trager
25-05-2018, 09:46 AM

What a water fountain that folk fill their bottles up at spreads disease?

SChibs
25-05-2018, 10:01 AM

That normally just applies to pint glasses as usually the tap touches the rim of the glass when pouring. But with the coke machines and the like at Easter road the juice falls in to the cup and the cup doesn't touch the machine

HappyAsHellas
25-05-2018, 01:47 PM
If you have a cold then the chances are the cup will carry your germs and then get passed on, it's why hospitals want you to constantly wash your hands and not touch door handles etc. Making a truly recyclable cup can't be too difficult I would have thought but will detract from manufacturers profits which is why it's not been done yet.

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Mentioned a while ago an idea for Hibs to lead the way and that involved more recycling around and in the stadium.

Less litter dropping during games meaning less mess possibly ending up in the local area / community.

As we know the seagulls are a nightmare at times and it would be great if Hibs could lead the way with an iniative to help combat this.

Green bins (works with with our Colours - and maybe add a bit of fun to it with 2 players / 2 bins next to each other - see which player fills up the quickest) and even do some promo work to encourage people to put their rubbish away - before - during and after the game before games and around stadium.

Just because this has been the norm in the past doesn’t mean it’s the way forward looking ahead.

I would also still like to see Hibs improve the catering aspect - healthier options - cheaper prices and introduce contactless.

Ye gods mate, lets not run before we can walk ... I would just be happy to go a whole season where at least 3 times my customary steak pie doesn't magically transform into a mince pie by the time I've reached my seat :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Absolutely - good for the environment, and with clearly displayed recycling options, this might stop us seeing stuff like those paper Pizza plates rolling around pitch-side, making the seagulls go radge.

Dunno why but that made me laugh out loud :greengrin