PDA

View Full Version : Sky Sports Survey on SPFL football

Baw187
24-05-2018, 07:46 AM
I received an email from sky today (I’m a full subscriber) asking for me to participate in a survey on my Sky Sports viewing habits.

They were asking questions around whether BTs coverage of European and Scottish Football in future and any changes to this would influence my decision to retain sky sports and / or take up BT. It was fairly in depth proposing scenarios about changes to the current package.

Clearly they are doing their groundwork ahead of another pitch at the TV deal. I obviously answered as favourably as I could towards making SPFL coverage beyond the OF its comprehensive!

Not In The Know
24-05-2018, 08:18 AM
Scottish Sky subscribers contribute massively to the huge fees Sky pay the EPL, all to the detriment of the fees they pay Scottish football.

Scottish Sky subs are basically subsidies to the EPL - hence I wouldnt even contemplate a Sky subscription until they pay as WAY more.

Not to mention 21st century fox/murdoch are evil...

CorrieHibs
24-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Cancelled my sky years ago. I won’t help to fund the English leagues, it’s ruining our game.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Cancelled my sky years ago. I won’t help to fund the English leagues, it’s ruining our game.Same here. I tell them this every time they ring me to try and "welcome me back".

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Diclonius
24-05-2018, 08:39 AM
The sooner we drop Sky and go 100% with BT the better. I decided I'd had enough this season when Sky decided Hearts v Hibs shouldn't be on main event, instead picking some no mark English game and sticking the derby on Sky Sports Football (which BT customers don't get despite paying £27 a month).

Can't say I miss paying towards the overinflated profits of English lower tier clubs competing for our players.

Cabbage East
24-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Cancelled my sky years ago. I won’t help to fund the English leagues, it’s ruining our game.

This. I think it's mental any Hibs fan would subscribe to Sky Sports after what they've done to the game here.

worcesterhibby
24-05-2018, 08:42 AM
ditched Sky 7 years ago..not missed it. BT Sports for me.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Not had honest Sky for many many years, and have no intention of getting it anytime soon.

If they were fair with Scottish football, and priced it at a reasonable price, i'm sure most folk would ditch their kodi or firesticks and subscibe to it.

If a dedicated football channel with all the football was on it was priced at £20 a month, i'd be back like a shot. Now i know this would affect the deals that each association received, but could we really get much less than we currently do?

And would the £20 channel help with subscriptions?

Either way, people are getting fed up with they way they are treated now, and i cant understand how they can keep paying what they do to the EFA, as i hardly know anyone down here who subscribes anymore, they are all on IPTV?

Winston Ingram
24-05-2018, 09:18 AM
BT undoubtedly do a better job of Scottish football but there is no way i'd bin Sky.

I grew up watching English football in the 80's and it would do my nut in if i didn't have it.

ToffeeCabbage
24-05-2018, 09:19 AM
If I had sky I would bluff the survey by telling them how awful and pointless Scottish football was (that's what all the viewers down south will say anyway) in the hope they give up on it and BT get the whole lot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Michael
24-05-2018, 09:22 AM
If I had sky I would bluff the survey by telling them how awful and pointless Scottish football was (that's what all the viewers down south will say anyway) in the hope they give up on it and BT get the whole lot.

BT would get it for cheap though If Sky lose interest.

Tricla
24-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Sky's golf coverage is immense which makes it hard to bin it.

ToffeeCabbage
24-05-2018, 10:14 AM
BT would get it for cheap though If Sky lose interest.Maybe but I'd be happy with a stable broadcaster that actually puts a bit of effort into promoting our game.

Apologies for the long post and correct me if I'm wrong on some points, I was quite young when our mad TV deal journey began but this is a quick summary of how I've see it

Way back, Sky offered us a pretty reasonable TV deal (higher than anything we've received before or since) that we knocked back in the pursuit of creating our own channel, this never materialised and we went crawling back to sky who told us to bolt/gave us peanuts.
We then moved on to Setanta who started off with a poor deal but it was gradually getting bigger until they went bust putting us back to square one.
We were again at the mercy of Sky who offered us peanuts once again until BT offered competition and we are where we are now.
All the while down south where they took the initial Sky offer, which has increased massively time and time again, they have left us behind to the point where I would say it is irreparable. The gap will continue to grow rather than close and no doubt League 2 clubs will be blowing us out the water financially in the not too distant future.
I wasn't around in the 80's so I don't know of scottish football ever being different. I was 7 the last time we were at a World Cup. I have grudgingly accepted Scottish football for what it is but I still love it regardless. I'm just glad BT care about it too.

Allant1981
24-05-2018, 10:14 AM
This. I think it's mental any Hibs fan would subscribe to Sky Sports after what they've done to the game here.

i must be mental then as i have the sports package, i like watching games of football, they havent done anything to our game, the people that run the sfa and spfl have ruined our game

HibeeHibernian4
24-05-2018, 10:17 AM

I think I'm right in saying (someone correct me if I'm wrong, don't have Sky myself) that all the sports have their own channel now? Is it not possible to just subscribe to the golf one, or do they make you cough up for them all?

B.H.F.C
24-05-2018, 10:32 AM
i must be mental then as i have the sports package, i like watching games of football, they havent done anything to our game, the people that run the sfa and spfl have ruined our game

Correct.

It’s down to the folk in charge to get more money out of them. We should be looking at a substantially increased deal this time. Quality of the league is improving, crowds are up and Gerrard gives it some extra spotlight. Add in the fact that BT want 100% of the rights and Sky won’t want to give up the four Celtic v Rangers games.

NAE NOOKIE
24-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Nobody is pretending that Scottish football is anywhere near the draw that the EPL is .... there's a good reason SKY and BT pump as much money into coverage of that league as they do.

But we have a situation where the 20 EPL clubs are getting over £80,000,000 a season each out of the SKY and BT deal, some get even more. In comparison the whole income to Scottish football from all TV broadcasting is just over £15,000,000 per annum. That's an average of £1,500,000 per club.

Arithmetic isn't exactly my strong suit, but that surely cant reflect the income broadcasters receive from Scottish viewers as a proportion of what the pay out. The argument is always that TV companies are a business and pay what they see as 'the going rate' .... but IMO ( and especially when it comes to the publicly funded BBC ) they have at least a moral obligation to play fair and quite frankly what they pay for Scottish football is a joke.

I've said it before ... IMO UEFA are the biggest problem here, they are without a doubt the bitch of the broadcasters. I would like to see the smaller associations have the power to block transmission of games from England, Spain and Germany within their borders if the broadcasters don't play fair. But it will never happen because all UEFA care about these days is their precious bloody champions league and the so called 'big 5' leagues.

Baw187
24-05-2018, 11:02 AM
BT undoubtedly do a better job of Scottish football but there is no way i'd bin Sky.

I grew up watching English football in the 80's and it would do my nut in if i didn't have it.

This.

I also love their F1 coverage and watch the golf, rugby and boxing so I certainly get value for my Sky subscription despite their poor SPFL coverage.

Although on the survey I told them I’d be cancelling if they reduced or didn’t improve their SPFL offering. [emoji23][emoji23]

CMac1988
24-05-2018, 01:48 PM
I think in total Scottish football receives around £17,000,000 a year from it's existing TV deals which is paltry in comparison to other European leagues (Ignoring the big 4/5).

Someone posted an article/blog post a few weeks back which was fairly grounded and made note of how media consumption has changed in recent years with streaming companies paving being contenders for more than TV shows and Movies. There were a few guesses as to the current dealings in upping what we receive but it was a good read none the less.

Jones28
24-05-2018, 02:18 PM

You could bin golf altogether...do something worthwhile

:greengrin

DavieRoy
24-05-2018, 02:50 PM
I think some Scottish football fans make the mistake in presuming subscribers just have Sky to watch Scottish football. I want to watch English football, golf, darts and boxing.

Sky do show more Scottish football than BT too, with things they do during the week, preview show, archive games, On Demand interviews to download but they can do more.

BT only do things when they have a live game on that day, nothing during the week. They need to increase there visibility away from just the live games for me to ditch Sky regardless of the quality of coverage.

marinello59
24-05-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't have sky sports but got an invitation to complete a survey on my viewing habits.
like most surveys it's designed to give them the best opportunity to get the outcome they want with some insipid questions.
No opportunity to type freely, Because the survey is automated guarantees It won't throw anything up they haven't planned for.
you can say at least they asked but they only asked what they wanted to ask, not what others may have wanted to get across.

a load of Raphael.

So they are going through an expensive market research exercise in order to find out how they can increase their appeal to subscribers but they will just ignore whatever it comes back with because they don’t want to know really?

GordonHFC
24-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Isn't BT coming on to the Sky subscription early next year due to an agreement between the two. You won't have to have a seperate subscription for BT But a smaller addition to your Sky subscription?

Billy Whizz
24-05-2018, 04:36 PM
I did the survey last week as well. Made an attempt where possible, to raise the issues of Scottish football, and too much air time and money given to English football
Also mentioned that Sky also do great coverage of most things as well though!

where'stheslope
24-05-2018, 04:38 PM
I think in total Scottish football receives around £17,000,000 a year from it's existing TV deals which is paltry in comparison to other European leagues (Ignoring the big 4/5).

Someone posted an article/blog post a few weeks back which was fairly grounded and made note of how media consumption has changed in recent years with streaming companies paving being contenders for more than TV shows and Movies. There were a few guesses as to the current dealings in upping what we receive but it was a good read none the less.

£17 million sounds a lot of money, till you compare the teams relegated from the EPL get a parachute payment of £100 million each?????

Even if we could get our hands on just one of these type of payments, Scottish Football would be in dreamland!!!!

Billy Whizz
24-05-2018, 04:42 PM
£17 million sounds a lot of money, till you compare the teams relegated from the EPL get a parachute payment of £100 million each?????

Even if we could get our hands on just one of these type of payments, Scottish Football would be in dreamland!!!!

Worth even more now, ridiculous money

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11381791/championship-play-off-final-worth-around-170m-for-either-aston-villa-or-fulham

hibbyfraelibby
24-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Nevet have and never will pay Sky a penny. Ruined sport of all descriptions for the vast majority.

Michael
24-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Isn't BT coming on to the Sky subscription early next year due to an agreement between the two. You won't have to have a seperate subscription for BT But a smaller addition to your Sky subscription?

Never noticed that before. Will save me a few quid.

CMac1988
24-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Exactly. Don't think this was the blog post I read a few weeks back but it puts into perspective how much we get in comparison to not only other leagues but also rugby league etc.

Also it states the current deal is actually 18.5 million. Haven't checked how accurate it is but worth a read.

https://thesporting.blog/blog/2018/5/2/the-sporting-rant-scottish-football-tv-conspiracy

oneone73
24-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Nevet have and never will pay Sky a penny. Ruined sport of all descriptions for the vast majority.

Ruined ice hockey for one.

bingo70
24-05-2018, 06:33 PM
BT would get it for cheap though If Sky lose interest.

Wouldn’t be in their interest though.

Pay a fair and decent price for the product and the clubs will (in theory) be able to buy, or keep hold of, better players which will give us better teams which would help bring the crowds in.

I think the cost relationship with both the networks doesn’t really work, we need to create an auction type environment and get them bidding against each other.

Baw187
24-05-2018, 08:43 PM
One of the questions was whether I would pay £9.99 for an additional SPFL dedicated internet subscription like Netflix.

I definitely would if it had enough content but have no idea if that kind of dedicated set up would generate more income or not. Guess it would depend on advertising and subscription volumes.