PDA

View Full Version : For the more mature poster (Old Customers Only)

BILLYHIBS
23-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Just been on You Tube and they someone has posted Football At Hampden Park (1968).It is actually very rare Cine Camera footage no commentary of the 1972 Scottish Cup Final featuring Turnbulls Tornadoes versus Celtic in which unfortunately we lost but never the less makes fascinating viewing.
Both teams play from the same end both half’s like in the sixties jerseys for goalposts keep playing till yer ma calls ye in. 106000 at the match. Hampden looks like a pigsty. Fighting regularly breaking oot ably attended by St Johns or wiz it St Andrews Ambulalnce crew.Shop Steward boy (Jimmy Reid) sitting in the stand Billy Connolly getting carried oot on a stretcher.Halceon days indeed. I remember being in the Rangers end as a nipper when the fighting broke oot at 4-1 decided to leave as I found my self on the pitch.Luckily for me the Carlton Branch ably assisted by Eddie Campbell decided to wait for the wee man to find his way back to the Supporters Bus.Hoping one of the younger crew can put the link up for others to enjoy as the wee man is now in his sixties. Just thought it might be of interest in the close season and indeed is also an excellent social commentary of where we were and where we are now!

GGTTH

crewetollhibee
24-05-2018, 12:36 AM
Just been on You Tube and they someone has posted Football At Hampden Park (1968).It is actually very rare Cine Camera footage no commentary of the 1972 Scottish Cup Final featuring Turnbulls Tornadoes versus Celtic in which unfortunately we lost but never the less makes fascinating viewing.
Both teams play from the same end both half’s like in the sixties jerseys for goalposts keep playing till yer ma calls ye in. 106000 at the match. Hampden looks like a pigsty. Fighting regularly breaking oot ably attended by St Johns or wiz it St Andrews Ambulalnce crew.Shop Steward boy (Jimmy Reid) sitting in the stand Billy Connolly getting carried oot on a stretcher.Halceon days indeed. I remember being in the Rangers end as a nipper when the fighting broke oot at 4-1 decided to leave as I found my self on the pitch.Luckily for me the Carlton Branch ably assisted by Eddie Campbell decided to wait for the wee man to find his way back to the Supporters Bus.Hoping one of the younger crew can put the link up for others to enjoy as the wee man is now in his sixties. Just thought it might be of interest in the close season and indeed is also an excellent social commentary of where we were and where we are now!

GGTTH

All the better without some Oxbridge accent commenting over it like a British Pathe newsreel. Remember my Dad and me left at 4-1 and heard a giant roar and assumed that was it finished ,4-1. Another 100 yards or so, another roar.....well I guess you know where this is going !! Yes I was there 1972 😉

poolman
24-05-2018, 01:51 AM

GGTTH

Yup, I was there, think there was about 110,000 there,

Brother in law got hurt by a full can of beer thrown by the worlds best fans :rolleyes:

IIRC there was no tickets and these bams were everywhere, so in fact they were throwing bottles and cans in to their own support

Some things never change except it's a good thing we keep them and their other cheek erses in one place at ER

iwasthere1972
24-05-2018, 03:20 AM
I was there too. Can't remember too much about the days events (I was only 16 and sober too) except the goals and all the bottles that were getting thrown.

Ray_
24-05-2018, 05:36 AM
I was there too. Can't remember too much about the days events (I was only 16 and sober too) except the goals and all the bottles that were getting thrown.

I was the same age and equally sober. The Celtic fans were either side of a large section of the 50K Hibs fans, [what would now be called the singing section], that were estimated to have travelled through for the game in the covered section, known as the Rangers end. They were throwing bottles up to the stanchions/girders where they were smashing and raining down on the Hibs support. The Hibs fans reversed the postion for the Dryborough & league cup finals.

Ringothedog
24-05-2018, 05:53 AM
All the better without some Oxbridge accent commenting over it like a British Pathe newsreel. Remember my Dad and me left at 4-1 and heard a giant roar and assumed that was it finished ,4-1. Another 100 yards or so, another roar.....well I guess you know where this is going !! Yes I was there 1972 😉

Identical to my experience, although when it was 1-4 I thought we could still win. My dad thought otherwise 😂. I was only 11.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2018, 07:59 AM
I was there. My hearts supporting uncle took me through, changed days.

I just remember the crushing and swaying every time the crowd moved. Disappointing day for sure but I remember all of the journey through on a bus from St clairs and at least 2 pub stops, one where I got in and one standing outside.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

HibbyDave
24-05-2018, 08:26 AM
I was there till the bitter end. Remember loads of fighting all around us.
No real terracing it was just ash between rows of wood. Anytime a goal was scored you could hardly breath for the dudt that got kicked up.
Alan Gordon scored to make it 1-1 and i was suddenly about 50 ft from where i had been standing.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 08:40 AM
https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o

Hope this link works if not admins please help!

worcesterhibby
24-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Here is a link...suprising number of blokes in yellow shirts...must have been trendy !
https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o

Greenbeard
24-05-2018, 09:07 AM
:not worth ...the three wee lads who had sneaked onto the grass behind the goals, only to be shoo-ed away by the polis.
Is that Suzie Quatro, first to be arrested?
Sure I spied Craig and Charlie's granpa and great uncle in an early crowd shot. :wink:

Bishop Hibee
24-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Great footage. My grandpa, dad and many of his brothers were there. I was at Hampden for a Scotland v England game in the early eighties with a crowd of 88,000. Still had the old ash and sleepers in the terracing at the east end of the ground. A total dump and dangerous with the amount of fans crammed in. I moan about some aspects of modern football but a lot of changes have been for the better.

G B Young
24-05-2018, 10:02 AM

GGTTH

Is it definitely the 1972 Scottish Cup final? We also played Celtic in the 1968/69 League Cup final (lost 6-2!) so could it be that?

crewetollhibee
24-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Is it definitely the 1972 Scottish Cup final? We also played Celtic in the 1968/69 League Cup final (lost 6-2!) so could it be that?

Deffo the ‘72 final 👍

CropleyWasGod
24-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Definitely 72.

Schaedler is playing. He didn't sign until 69ish.

iwasthere1972
24-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Surprised that nobody else has said that it's definitely 1972. So I will say if first. Definitely 1972.

HibeeHibernian4
24-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Out of curiosity, I looked for the 1968/69 final, and found it buried in a Celtic 'Greatest League Cup Finals' compilation.

https://youtu.be/R3RRkMrONwg?t=7m28s

Our keeper wore black in 1969, whereas Herriot was in yellow for the Scottish Cup Final.

Also, didn't realise that the reason that League Cup Final was played in April of 1969 instead of the winter of 1968 was because part of Hampden's South Stand had been destroyed in a fire. Anyone recall that?

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Not the 6-2 game defo! Jim Herriot in goal Shades left back Alan Gordon playing Lou Macari playing for Celtic.Trust me! I was that green and white soldier!!

In 1968 Gordon would have been an Arab or in South Africa or even worse still a jambo, Herriot would have been in South Africa or Birmingham, Shades would still be at school or at Stirling Albion, Lou Macari would still be in the Quality Street Gang wi Hay, Connolly and Dalglish.

Hibs team in 1968-69 Scottish League Cup Final: Allan,Shevlane,Davis,Stanton,Madsen,Blackley,Marin ello,Quinn,Cormack,ORouke and Stevenson sub Willlie Hunter.

Match delayed until April as part of Hampden Stand had been destroyed in a fire.

brog
24-05-2018, 10:32 AM
It's definitely the 1972 final, despite the title. Probably the most upset I've ever been after a match & probably why the LC final 7 months later is still my favourite game. To turn around a 6-1 defeat, win our first ever LC & win our 1st major cup for 70 years was some achievement. My abiding memory of the game is of a pitch invasion by Celtc fans & then several hundred of their supporters remaining sitting on the grass behind the goals we were attacking for the last 10/15 minutes of the game. Farcical & dangerous! Final score could have been 7 or 8-4 or 5. We missed several sitters late on.

CropleyWasGod
24-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Out of curiosity, I looked for the 1968/69 final, and found it buried in a Celtic 'Greatest League Cup Finals' compilation.

Our keeper wore black in 1969, whereas Herriot was in yellow for the Scottish Cup Final.

Also, didn't realise that the reason that League Cup Final was played in April of 1969 instead of the winter of 1968 was because part of Hampden's South Stand had been destroyed in a fire. Anyone recall that?

Yeah, I do.

Celtic won 2 LC's that year. Ours in April, then they beat St Johnstone in October-ish. I was at both.

surreyhibbie
24-05-2018, 10:59 AM
I turned my back to walk out and they scored. 4-1. half way through the car park at the back another roar. 5-1. got back to the Supporters bus (just past the old Third Lanark ground?) and was told by an older guy with a radio that it was 6-1.

first trip to Hampden, not the last time I left disappointed!

made 21/05/16 all the sweeter.

Forza Fred
24-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Defo the 72 Cup Final.

I too went through on the Carlton Branchbus, being in that branch,and I mind we had a camera crew on board, but we were so pissed off at the end we didn’t wait for them on the return journey.

Remembering sitting high up in the stand with Messrs Dougan,Ferguson,Williamson and Rafferty, and being drunk.

So much so that I refused to watch the latter stages of the game and just stared at my feet,

Like Brog, it was probably the most upset I have been after a game and think it was Big Frank who picked me up from laying on the Hampden car pArk ground and made sure I avoided arrest and got back on the bus.

Funny the O.P mentioned Eddie Campbell in his original post.....just off the phone tonight in Sydney speaking to my brother in Hawkhill Avenue, and we were actually talking about Eddie!

Forza Fred
24-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Yep I recall it, if it hadn’t burned down and got postponed we would have had Colin Stein in our side..we transferred him as I recall in the period in between.

Mick O'Rourke
24-05-2018, 11:34 AM
What a remarkable piece of film that is.(even if the title is wrong)
Thanks for that. Had never seen it before.
Much more for the non football footage.
Fans getting huckled and marched round the track.
The demon drink,eh?
Celebrities on stretchers !

Any younger Hibernians in doubt about our so called "love in" with the club we helped found in the East End of Glasgow should be reminded that during that period, and there were a few Cup finals against Celtic,including League Cups and 2 Dryburgh Cup finals.
At all of them there was violence inside and outside Hampden.
As someone else stated,in the so called Rangers End,the support was mixed,throwing bottles up into the roof/steel structures to shatter and land on us was not uncommon. Although their own supporters got hit as well.
I have never forgotten when leaving Hampden after our League Cup victory in '72,a drunken Celtic"fan"was randomly waving an open razor at anyone close to him.
I was with my two younger brothers and an assortment of the Clerry Jungle(Hibs section)
Razor man was on the deck quicker than you could say "short back and sides ,please!"
Frightening though ,looking back.
The film posted here has brought back so many memories of following Hibernian away in my youth.

Happy Days !!
Some maybe best forgotten though !

pollution
24-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Friendly Glasgow police, walking arm in arm with the fans!

G B Young
24-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Think it was Thomson Allan in goal. He didn't look up to much judging by those highlights (I didn't realise we were 6-0 down at one point - jeez, we took a few real doings from Celtic at Hampden in that era although also managed to win a few finals against them too) but he did go on to win the League Cup with Dundee a few years later.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Surprised to see Schaedler going down injured at one point. To me he was an Iron Man and never recall ever seeing him injured in all my fifty years of supporting the cabbage.

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Here is a link...suprising number of blokes in yellow shirts...must have been trendy !

I'm always amazed at how formally dressed old football crowds are. The idea of putting on a shirt and tie to go to the football seems totally bizarre. :confused:

Forza Fred
24-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Surprised to see Schaedler going down injured at one point. To me he was an Iron Man and never recall ever seeing him injured in all my fifty years of supporting the cabbage.

I emigrated in 74, but remember on my first trip home in 82 being at Parkhead and Shades actually was helped off the field, injured.

On a purely coincidental note..in 82 arriving at Turnhouse airport the first person I bumped into was fellow poster Brog, who was returning back to London after having flown up for the weekend

Small world etc......

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Also liked seeing the boot boys with their painted industrial helmets on to protect them from flying bottles and other debris.

Onion
24-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Did the whole trip on 15 bob as a young teenager, stood in the covered end crammed in with 35k Hibs fans and a lot of Celtic fans too. Was chaos most of the time trying to watch the game and avoid the bottles and cans at the same time. Main memory was Dixie Dean hat-trick, the plumes of choking dust every 10 mins after a goal was scored and the impressive noise of 70k Celtic fans singing right at the end when it was 6-1, only time we heard them. That Celtic team was one of the best in Europe at the time.

Keith_M
24-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Maybe not quite at the same level but the violence at games when I first started attending in the late 70s-early 80s was quite brutal. Visits of Rangers and Celtc obviously being the worst.

I realise it's frowned on to say this but that was a very large part of the motivation behind Hibs, and supporters of other clubs, organising hooligan gangs of our own, to be able to fight back against those idiots.

It really was no fun standing on the old east terracing with bottles and cans raining down on you from the Rantic Fans at the back of the terrace. Or going to an unsegregated Celtc Park and being spat on and attacked before, during and after the game.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Maybe not quite at the same level but the violence at games when I first started attending in the late 70s-early 80s was quite brutal. Visits of Rangers and Celtc obviously being the worst.

I realise it's frowned on to say this but that was a very large part of the motivation behind Hibs, and supporters of other clubs, organising hooligan gangs of our own, to be able to fight back against those idiots.
Was standing on the East when CS gas canister thrown
It really was no fun standing on the old east terracing with bottles and cans raining down on you from the Rantic Fans at the back of the terrace. Or going to an unsegregated Celtc Park and being spat on and attacked before, during and after the game.
Was standing on the East when CS gas canister was thrown by Celtic animals took hooliganism to a frightening new level and yes I have been one of the few hundred Hibees at Celtic Park standing beside a member of the Glasgow Polis getting hit on the legs with long cane with a nail on the end from the Celtic end and the Constable in question refusing to do anything about it as I had an Edinburgh accent.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Where have all the Bootboys gone?

Bostonhibby
24-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Where have all the Bootboys gone?All in carpet slippers now, or them special shoes with velcro instead of laces.[emoji6]

Ringothedog
24-05-2018, 03:57 PM
What a remarkable piece of film that is.(even if the title is wrong)
Thanks for that. Had never seen it before.
Much more for the non football footage.
Fans getting huckled and marched round the track.
The demon drink,eh?
Celebrities on stretchers !

Any younger Hibernians in doubt about our so called "love in" with the club we helped found in the East End of Glasgow should be reminded that during that period, and there were a few Cup finals against Celtic,including League Cups and 2 Dryburgh Cup finals.
At all of them there was violence inside and outside Hampden.
As someone else stated,in the so called Rangers End,the support was mixed,throwing bottles up into the roof/steel structures to shatter and land on us was not uncommon. Although their own supporters got hit as well.
I have never forgotten when leaving Hampden after our League Cup victory in '72,a drunken Celtic"fan"was randomly waving an open razor at anyone close to him.
I was with my two younger brothers and an assortment of the Clerry Jungle(Hibs section)
Razor man was on the deck quicker than you could say "short back and sides ,please!"
Frightening though ,looking back.
The film posted here has brought back so many memories of following Hibernian away in my youth.

Happy Days !!
Some maybe best forgotten though !

Rantics visits to Easter Road were always interesting as our fans were no angels back then

SonOfDavidFrancey
24-05-2018, 06:11 PM
All in carpet slippers now, or them special shoes with velcro instead of laces.[emoji6]

😂

The Pointer
24-05-2018, 06:17 PM
I was the same age and equally sober. The Celtic fans were either side of a large section of the 50K Hibs fans, [what would now be called the singing section], that were estimated to have travelled through for the game in the covered section, known as the Rangers end. They were throwing bottles up to the stanchions/girders where they were smashing and raining down on the Hibs support. The Hibs fans reversed the postion for the Dryborough & league cup finals.

I remember them throwing bottles into the roof to break them as well.

At the League Cup Final as we were leaving they were following us out ably abetted by Strathclyde's finest (some things never change) and I got hit on the shoulder by a bottle. Bus got tanned as well.

The Pointer
24-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Was standing on the East when CS gas canister was thrown by Celtic animals took hooliganism to a frightening new level and yes I have been one of the few hundred Hibees at Celtic Park standing beside a member of the Glasgow Polis getting hit on the legs with long cane with a nail on the end from the Celtic end and the Constable in question refusing to do anything about it as I had an Edinburgh accent.

It has to be said that my late brother was a copper and he always said they returned the compliment whenever the great unwashed visited Tynie or ER. He quite enjoyed it in a way cops nowadays can only imagine. ;-)

Mick O'Rourke
24-05-2018, 06:33 PM
All in carpet slippers now, or them special shoes with velcro instead of laces.[emoji6]

I know a couple of the old Clerry boys who might resemble that remark :greengrin

But i wouldn't tell them that...even now :duck:

Violence back then was to say the least.... very bad.
The "pavement dancers" of later years don't know the half of it.
And thats not "nostalgia" saying that. It is a fact.
It was frightening,particularly through in Glasgow.
You could do one of two things.
Fight or flee,because PC Oanyerway and his pals wirnae really awe that interested.
They usually turned up after the damage was done and then hassle or arrest the victims/complainants.

WoreTheGreen
24-05-2018, 06:44 PM

Was in the huns end with my dad and brother my dad spent more time shielding us from bottles rather watching the game.We left at 4-1 and the crush at the top of the stand leading to stairs I honestly thought i would die.

Joe6-2
24-05-2018, 06:52 PM
I was there too, what a crowd! I was hit by a bottle after the 1-1 semi final against the Hun! I needed stitches on my face and throat. Thrown through the bus window, punishment for actually drawing with them! Sorted that out in the replay!
Final was men against boys, which was so dissapointing having a team like we did then! But Selic always got the upper hand against us then!

brianmc
24-05-2018, 07:15 PM
How come we appear to be shooting the same way in both halves?

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2018, 07:32 PM
How come we appear to be shooting the same way in both halves?
I said that in my OP. HIBS actually attacked the Celtic end first half and turned around 1-2 Alan Gordon netting for us. Jumped around with glee as a fourteen year old would surrounded by Celtic in the Rangers our end.

brianmc
24-05-2018, 07:56 PM
I said that in my OP. HIBS actually attacked the Celtic end first half and turned around 1-2 Alan Gordon netting for us. Jumped around with glee as a fourteen year old would surrounded by Celtic in the Rangers our end.

👍

majorhibs
24-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Rantics visits to Easter Road were always interesting as our fans were no angels back then

We weren’t angels, but never as bad as them. The treatment received at away games, no way could they receive as bad as that due to numbers, but when they came to ours, there was plenty of us with more than genuine grievances on our minds.

Ringothedog
25-05-2018, 09:01 AM
We weren’t angels, but never as bad as them. The treatment received at away games, no way could they receive as bad as that due to numbers, but when they came to ours, there was plenty of us with more than genuine grievances on our minds.

I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000. Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.

PapillonVert
25-05-2018, 03:11 PM
I was there that day with my sister and our Celtic-supporting Dad.

We must have looked so utterly miserable by the end because our poor dad didn't celebrate and even looked equally miserable (although deep down he must have been delighted).

Remember driving back to Edinburgh and it absolutely poured down the whole way.

Had I known it would be another 44 years before we actually lifted the damn thing, well, no wonder Leith chose the motto it did.

#Persevere.

brog
25-05-2018, 05:53 PM
I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000. Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.

Remember it well, though was 2-1 to the Huns, thanks as you say to John McDonald's ludicrous dive. We had already lost John Brownlie to a broken leg & even though Alex Edwards was booked in the same game on 6 Jan, his 6 week suspension didn't kick in until nearly 2 months later, surprisingly, just before The Rangers cup tie!

iwasthere1972
25-05-2018, 06:04 PM

I was one of the many who couldn't get into Easter Road that night as it was already jam packed. Horrible feeling walking away from Easter Road as I have my doubts that it was being screened on the telly.

Iggy Pope
25-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Remember it well, though was 2-1 to the Huns, thanks as you say to John McDonald's ludicrous dive. We had already lost John Brownlie to a broken leg & even though Alex Edwards was booked in the same game on 6 Jan, his 6 week suspension didn't kick in until nearly 2 months later, surprisingly, just before The Rangers cup tie!

It was a wee bit before John McDonald's time Broq.
My old man and I squeezed into the South Enclosure. I was 10 and couldn't see a thing from start to finish.

WoreTheGreen
25-05-2018, 06:14 PM

Was it not benny who never touched the wee diving cheat

Iggy Pope
25-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Was it not benny who never touched the wee diving cheat

Different game, different era!

WoreTheGreen
25-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Did j mcdonald play against us with Brownlie etc ?

Billy Whizz
25-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Did j mcdonald play against us with Brownlie etc ?

I wouldn’t have thought so. I played against Macdonald when I was 12/13. He played for Leeds Utd boys club, and was the most sought after talent in the west of Scotland at that time
Also think he’ll be around 7/8 years younger than John B

WoreTheGreen
25-05-2018, 06:26 PM
It was defo benny and Syme could have been the corrupt ref

iwasthere1972
25-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Are folk getting mixed up with the replay at Easter Road in 1973 and 1979?

WoreTheGreen
25-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Yes j mcd won the most ridiculous cheating penalty ever against benny

CropleyWasGod
25-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Yes j mcd won the most ridiculous cheating penalty ever against bennyBut not in the 70s.

It was a League game in the 80s at ER. Gordon Rae scored for us. Jim Bett for them. Then the penalty.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Earlydelivery
25-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Remember going to 1974 league cup final 6-3 was about 14 ... lots of bother ... even when winning !!!!

WoreTheGreen
25-05-2018, 06:44 PM
The brog (who i love reading his posts got his timelines) wrong defo benny maybe Alex Mcdonald?another wee cheating ——

Cheshire Hibby
25-05-2018, 06:47 PM
I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000 (tel:15-20000). Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.

That was a particularly ugly night. I have solid memories of having to walk with hordes of Rangers fans up Easter Road with others from our supporters bus whilst getting serious abuse for not singing their filth. The biggest crowd I was ever part of at Easter Road.

Going back to the 72 cup final, enjoyed looking at that movie link and trying to spot myself and my mate, close to the wall in what was the Schoolboys Enclosure.

Hiber-nation
25-05-2018, 07:00 PM
It was a wee bit before John McDonald's time Broq.
My old man and I squeezed into the South Enclosure. I was 10 and couldn't see a thing from start to finish.

I always get these games mixed up.

The Cup replay was in 73 with Mickey suspended. We lost 2-1 and that wee sheidt Tommy McLean scored both, 1 was a pen but I can't remember who dived for it. As you say, before McDonald's time. The crowd trouble was bad but probably not as bad as the Dryburgh Cup game at the start of that season when most of the Cave got on the pitch at HT for a mass brawl.

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/hibs/game.php?gameid=78001
http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/game.php?gameid=78001

BILLYHIBS
25-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Match was 28/2/73 2-1 to Rangers McLean scored twice one penalty though I do not think it was the game that John Macdonald should have been booked for simulation. My brother caught him in the coupon with a pie five minutes later. I remember one game versus the Hun in the early 1970s it was an early kick off due to power cuts Alex Edwards walked over the top of Alex Macdonalds prostrate body and started heading for the tunnel without even waiting for the card.Those games were particularly tasty no quarter given.Indeed John Blackley said in a recent interview that he had gone through the back of Derek Parlane and while he was receiving treatment John Greig said to him He’ll he back you know and he replied Aye, and I will be right here waiting! Quality!

Hibby Bairn
25-05-2018, 09:58 PM

I seem to recall a match at ER where Schaedler received oxygen on the pitch? Anyone remember that?

hibeg
26-05-2018, 08:57 AM

The Cup replay was in 73 with Mickey suspended. We lost 2-1 and that wee sheidt Tommy McLean scored both, 1 was a pen but I can't remember who dived for it. As you say, before McDonald's time. The crowd trouble was bad but probably not as bad as the Dryburgh Cup game at the start of that season when most of the Cave got on the pitch at HT for a mass brawl.

IIRC it was Alex McDonald who took a dive for the penalty. Pretty sure he played in that game

Bostonhibby
26-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Match was 28/2/73 2-1 to Rangers McLean scored twice one penalty though I do not think it was the game that John Macdonald should have been booked for simulation. My brother caught him in the coupon with a pie five minutes later. I remember one game versus the Hun in the early 1970s it was an early kick off due to power cuts Alex Edwards walked over the top of Alex Macdonalds prostrate body and started heading for the tunnel without even waiting for the card.Those games were particularly tasty no quarter given.Indeed John Blackley said in a recent interview that he had gone through the back of Derek Parlane and while he was receiving treatment John Greig said to him He’ll he back you know and he replied Aye, and I will be right here waiting! Quality!

John Greig would know all about JB right enough, here's one of my favourites, JB doing a bit of walking away hun style. He was a great footballer and could take care of himself.

brog
26-05-2018, 10:08 AM
The brog (who i love reading his posts got his timelines) wrong defo benny maybe Alex Mcdonald?another wee cheating ——

Apologies, I actually missed the 1-2 game as I was away on a course in England. Had been at Ibrox on the Sat when we were robbed also. John McD was many years later. So many different Huns diving for pens it's easy to get mixed up! Anyone remember McCoist's dive, with no one near him in the infamous Souness game? Also re John Blackley, I read the ref's report after he was sent off at Ibrox, Tommy McLean had just scored a clearly offside winner. Sloop told the lino to stick his F*****g orange flag up his F*****g orange a**e!! We didn't appeal the red card! :greengrin

Keith_M
26-05-2018, 10:21 AM
I was at the game where McDonald dived for the penalty but my first ever game was in '79, so defo not the 1973 replay

:singing:
"John McDonald took a dive,
E- I- E- I- O"

Hillsidehibby
26-05-2018, 10:39 AM

I was on the pitch at that particular brawl. One of quite a few at that game!

BILLYHIBS
26-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Apologies, I actually missed the 1-2 game as I was away on a course in England. Had been at Ibrox on the Sat when we were robbed also. John McD was many years later. So many different Huns diving for pens it's easy to get mixed up! Anyone remember McCoist's dive, with no one near him in the infamous Souness game? Also re John Blackley, I read the ref's report after he was sent off at Ibrox, Tommy McLean had just scored a clearly offside winner. Sloop told the lino to stick his F*****g orange flag up his F*****g orange a**e!! We didn't appeal the red card! :greengrin
Offside was an under statement was standing leaning against the post talking to our goalkeeper with his carpet slippers on while smoking a cigar the only outfield player in our half an absolute disgrace quite the norm at the time that and last minute penalties awarded to the Ugly Sisters.

A Hi-Bee
26-05-2018, 01:35 PM
I was on the pitch at that particular brawl. One of quite a few at that game!

I don't think it should be underestimated just how much trouble was at the games against either of the Glasgow filth.
It got so bad at one stage that Hibs built and opened up a Polis Station in the old west stand complete with cells, think it was officially opened on Xmas day 1971 in a game against the old Sevco, Hibs battered them all over the whole game only for Colin Stein to score for them in the last minute.
I only saw the first half. Was not unusual to see some of the great unwashed walking down the terrace at some of the games around this time with knives and machetes out, the *******s got just as much back with some terrible scenes in the cave at them games and after, long before mobile phones or social medja.
Safety of us supporters seemed to take a back seat to the politics of the day, not perfect but much better today at games.

Cheshire Hibby
26-05-2018, 07:41 PM
I don't think it should be underestimated just how much trouble was at the games against either of the Glasgow filth.
It got so bad at one stage that Hibs built and opened up a Polis Station in the old west stand complete with cells, think it was officially opened on Xmas day 1971 in a game against the old Sevco, Hibs battered them all over the whole game only for Colin Stein to score for them in the last minute.
I only saw the first half. Was not unusual to see some of the great unwashed walking down the terrace at some of the games around this time with knives and machetes out, the *******s got just as much back with some terrible scenes in the cave at them games and after, long before mobile phones or social medja.
Safety of us supporters seemed to take a back seat to the politics of the day, not perfect but much better today at games.

I was at the Xmas day game and I have always believed that Stein didn't know much about the goal as it came off his backside.

brog
26-05-2018, 09:06 PM
I was at the Xmas day game and I have always believed that Stein didn't know much about the goal as it came off his backside.

It came from a corner, their only one of the game, in the 90th minute. We totally dominated & had countless corners.

eastterrace
26-05-2018, 09:10 PM

I was at that game and we murdered them and they got a last minute jammy goal. Also always trouble when that lot came thru back then scary times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heretoday
26-05-2018, 09:39 PM
I was at the game where McDonald dived for the penalty but my first ever game was in '79, so defo not the 1973 replay

:singing:
"John McDonald took a dive,
E- I- E- I- O"

Eric Stevenson used to dive too.

It's old hat.

Cheshire Hibby
26-05-2018, 09:52 PM
It came from a corner, their only one of the game, in the 90th minute. We totally dominated & had countless corners.

Very true but Stein didn't know much about it, it came of his backside.