http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44224019

Oscar T Grouch
23-05-2018, 02:22 PM
I take it this is our Michael Nelson ? See his new managers quote :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44224019

The picture is of him so aye, defo our former CH

Monts
23-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Is signing a player because they are "very old" better or worse than signing a player because they can't now, and never could, run?

Tom Hart RIP
23-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Seems to be a bit controversy. He said he had been offered a new deal by Barnet verbally but couldn’t get in touch with anyone at the club to confirm it so signed for Chesterfield. FWIW he seems to have been a big favourite amongst the Barnet fans who seem annoyed at his treatment

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-05-2018, 02:39 PM
He was utter garbage.

Cabbage East
23-05-2018, 02:44 PM
He was utter garbage.

You seem to forget the beautiful 60 yard cross field passes that he used to spray at will.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-05-2018, 02:49 PM
He was past it when we signed him

BoomtownHibees
23-05-2018, 02:49 PM
You seem to forget the beautiful 60 yard cross field passes that he used to spray at will.

They were that good that I got on the end of a few

MWHIBBIES
23-05-2018, 03:03 PM
He was utter garbage.Like everyone else he was fine until Butcher came in.

Deansy
23-05-2018, 03:08 PM

:greengrin

Just Jimmy
23-05-2018, 03:45 PM
milk turned quicker. slower than a week in jail. terrible player.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

TheMentalHibees
23-05-2018, 03:57 PM
The thought of the defence we had back then is enough to give you nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greencore
23-05-2018, 04:06 PM
waiting for that one hibs.net poster to come out with "he was decent for us"

Michael
23-05-2018, 04:20 PM
One of the worst CH I've ever seen at Hibs - and we've had a few.

neil7908
23-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Shudder

Beefster
23-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Dinnae get me started on Michael “****ing” Nelson. His pass completion rate was about 3%. He actually completed one against Motherwell. What a party that was post-match.

Northernhibee
23-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Like everyone else he was fine until Butcher came in.

Yep, he did his job until Butcher came in.

Humo
23-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Yep, he did his job until Butcher came in.even did a job when butcher left under Stubbs but then fontaine came and we all learned what a real CH is like

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

supermcginn
23-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Yep, he did his job until Butcher came in.

In the worst 5 players ive ever seen, just seeing his name gives me the fear.

Northernhibee
23-05-2018, 05:19 PM
In the worst 5 players ive ever seen, just seeing his name gives me the fear.

There were worse under both managers tbh.

SaulGoodman
23-05-2018, 05:32 PM
he was decent for us

Smartie
23-05-2018, 05:33 PM
The thought of the defence we had back then is enough to give you nightmares.

The defence was fine compared to the attacking threat that team had......

Hiber-nation
23-05-2018, 05:35 PM
he was decent for us

He was absolutely horrendous. Watch the goals in the play off 2nd leg v Hamilton if you want reminded....

Winston Ingram
23-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Jesus Christ. He was done 5 years ago.

As for leader of men, all I remember is him blaming Jordan Forster for his mistakes.

Shrekko
23-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Next time anyone wants to complain about an occasional lapse of concentration from Efe take a deep breath and remember you were watching Michael Nelson only a few short years ago...

Tom Hart RIP
23-05-2018, 05:59 PM
I remember a game against Celtic when he suffered a terrible head knock and had to be bandaged up. I saw it close up and couldn’t believe he didn’t go off. He then spent the rest of the game winning headers which must have been agony every time but he never gave up. He went up in my estimations that day. OK passing and pace weren’t his strong points but if everyone had his attitude we wouldn’t have gone down. Remember he was Killies Centre half when they won the League Cup against Celtic so he was a decent player in his day. He was past his best when we signed him but that wasn’t his fault. Good luck to him.

Keith_M
23-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Next time anyone wants to complain about an occasional lapse of concentration from Efe take a deep breath and remember you were watching Michael Nelson only a few short years ago...

He wasn't as bad as Hanlon or Stevenson...

:duck:

jgl07
23-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Is it necessary to ritually slag off every former Hibs player who makes a move?

Not Hibs class!

It is something we should expect from the puddledrinkers from across the City.

jakedance
23-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Was always ready to throw his body on the line but by god he was a terrible footballer. We were shambolic off and on the pitch when we were relegated but he was the worst man on the pitch for the second play off and we’d probably have just about survived without him. Couldn’t complete a ten yard pass and turned like an oil tanker.

Just Alf
23-05-2018, 06:05 PM
He was absolutely horrendous. Watch the goals in the play off 2nd leg v Hamilton if you want reminded....Ha ha... Whoosh

(glad it wasn't me THIS time :-) )

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jakedance
23-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Not Hibs class!

You’re absolutely right but if they’re especially useless and a big part of relegating the club then exceptions can be made.

Northernhibee
23-05-2018, 06:11 PM
You’re absolutely right but if they’re especially useless and a big part of relegating the club then exceptions can be made.

Michael Nelson was never a "big part" of relegating the club, what a load of tosh :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Blame Butcher, Marsella and Malpas for that.

.Sean.
23-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Up there with the worst I’ve seen at Easter Road. Hopeless.

He was passed it when he pitched up here about 5? year ago so God knows how ***** he’ll be now.

Eaststandee
23-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Him and Ryan McGivern at the back was a strikers wet dream.

TelaStella
23-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Him and Ryan McGivern at the back was a strikers wet dream.

[emoji23] you beat me to it! Nelson might of been something but McGivern is quite possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us.

jakedance
23-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Michael Nelson was never a "big part" of relegating the club, what a load of tosh :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It’s a cop out to deflect all the blame on to the management. The team on the pitch had their part to play and Nelson was pisher than most, particularly in the play off second leg when his inept passing kept the pressure on us when all we had to do was hold a 2-0 advantage at home to Hamilton Accies. Him and McGivern were comically bad in the run in to relegation when all we had to do was not lose.

SideBurns
23-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Exactly. He was ok in a mediocre side sitting relatively comfortably in mid-table before Butcher etc lost the plot. Good professional who always gave 100%; delighted we've moved up several levels in quality since, but can't really see the pleasure anyone gets from using the fact Nelson's still trying to make a living out of the game as an excuse to vilify him. Strange behaviour.

allezsauzee
23-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Fair play to him to still be playing at 38 years old. I'm sure he'll be fine in the 5th tier of English football.

we are hibs
23-05-2018, 07:19 PM
There were people cheering in the east stand when he was sent off v Partick towards the end of that season. We played better with ten men IIRC. Brutal player

Mibbes Aye
23-05-2018, 07:29 PM
My memory is that he wasn’t great and he wasn’t abysmal, at a time when the level of the team was a lot lower than it is now.

He definitely wasn’t Usain Bolt, no one is suggesting that. I can’t remember ever faulting his commitment though.

And by virtue of his moniker he commanded the nickname “The Admiral” which is worthy in its own right :agree:

Mikey_1875
23-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Dont remember him being as bad as some are making out. Gave his best while here and wish him well at new club.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2018, 08:08 PM

Not Hibs class!

Only the really really ***** ones.

supermcginn
23-05-2018, 11:03 PM
There were worse under both managers tbh.he was absolutely hopeless, honking is being kind.

Northernhibee
23-05-2018, 11:05 PM
It’s a cop out to deflect all the blame on to the management. The team on the pitch had their part to play and Nelson was pisher than most, particularly in the play off second leg when his inept passing kept the pressure on us when all we had to do was hold a 2-0 advantage at home to Hamilton Accies. Him and McGivern were comically bad in the run in to relegation when all we had to do was not lose.

After Butcher took off Heffernan and left only an eighteen year old up front the entire defense and midfield had nothing to aim at so we sat stupidly deep for a lot of the game and invited pressure onto us.

Nelson was reasonable if not "good" under Fenlon and for the most part under Fenlon McGivern was a decent player - think back to the Wotherspoon derby, he absolutely dominated the Hearts attack that game. Butcher demolished the confidence and tactics of the squad, Malpas the fitness (the man who "didn't need sports science") and Marsella the youth team and recruitment.

I put the blame of relegation entirely and 100% on those three. Their records don't lie.

supermcginn
23-05-2018, 11:05 PM
There were people cheering in the east stand when he was sent off v Partick towards the end of that season. We played better with ten men IIRC. Brutal player

Remember it well, we looked watertight when he went off and played less punts up the park.

dmc1875
23-05-2018, 11:27 PM
He was actually okay with Hanlon beside him, he was an easy scape goat though for the boo boys.

When Hanlon got injured and he was paired with McGivern everything went to pieces

jgl07
24-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Dont remember him being as bad as some are making out. Gave his best while here and wish him well at new club.

Neither do I recall him being bad. It has become a 'Hibs-net' fact.

He made 37 appearances in his one season. This hardly suggests he was a complete disaster.

There were plenty of others including a couple of current first team regulars associated with the relegation year.

Brightside
24-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Like everyone else he was fine until Butcher came in.

He was never fine. Paul Hanlon has had to play with some right guff in his time.

Michael
24-05-2018, 06:12 AM
[emoji23] you beat me to it! Nelson might of been something but McGivern is quite possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us.

McGivern was at least passable on his loan spell. Once he signed permanently he was awful though.

Heisenberg
24-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Michael Nelson was ok at winning headers. That aside he was dreadful with the ball at his feet, caught out of position regularly and could barely run. So aye...he was decent for us right enough.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Wouldn't make the top 50 honestly. Was actually good during his loan spell.

iwasthere1972
24-05-2018, 08:11 AM
What a horrible time it was to be following Hibs. Nelson was many of the duffers we had to endure. Like now, had a season ticket and never missed a home game. Spent most of my time watching the clock waiting for the final whistle to be blown. It was that bad. Could have lay down on the empty seats beside me and had a nap. Counting sheep would have been more exciting. Did some away games as well including an end of season up Dingwall. Another depressing performance getting beat 1-0. There were free haggis rolls on offer but being a veggie I had to do with a bag of crisps. A long trip back home as well.

Nelson was rubbish but he was surrounded by below average players. Butcher and Malpas certainly didn't get the best out of any of them.

Compare then to now. Prime fillet steak and scragend.

Stevie Reid
24-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Steve Marcella is now Killie's Head of Recruitment. Be interesting to see who they bring in this summer.

eastmainsmsh
24-05-2018, 09:32 AM
id have him and murdock any day at back

GillyHibee
24-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Brilliant :greengrin:greengrin

PatHead
24-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Steve Marcella is now Killie's Head of Recruitment. Be interesting to see who they bring in this summer.

Wow!

Stevie Reid
24-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Wow!

To be fair it was McCulloch who brought him in, not Steve Clarke!

HibeeHibernian4
24-05-2018, 10:00 AM
The revisionism here is absolutely on the part of those saying "he wasn't that bad."

He was a dreadful footballer and one of the biggest reasons for our relegation outwith Butcher and co.

Anyway, I don't need to be bitter about it anymore, it all worked out for the best.

hibsbollah
24-05-2018, 10:03 AM
The revisionism here is absolutely on the part of those saying "he wasn't that bad."

He was a dreadful footballer and one of the biggest reasons for our relegation outwith Butcher and co.

Anyway, I don't need to be bitter about it anymore, it all worked out for the best.

:agree: He was absolutely appalling. There was literally nothing good about him as a player. You may as well defend wasps, or headaches, or Michael mcintyre.

Forza Fred
24-05-2018, 12:27 PM
He was assistant manager at Barnet as well as a player, until they brought a new manager in, in a last ditch attempt to avoid relegation.

He must be about 37 now, and irrespective of what we may think of his ability or lack of, he’s made a good living out of football.

villahibs
24-05-2018, 01:18 PM

He did... it was just unfortunate the player was only 30 yards away from him and 60 yards was generally the distance to the back of the stand 🙈😂

iwasthere1972
24-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Could he still do a job for us?

TelaStella
24-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't make the top 50 honestly. Was actually good during his loan spell.

Really? Perhaps you’ve been watching hibs much longer than I have so fair enough but I can’t think of many more players that have frustrated me as much as him. In fact the news of his departure actually helped me feel better about our relegation.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Could he still do a job for us?Matty Jack role?☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
24-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Really? Perhaps you’ve been watching hibs much longer than I have so fair enough but I can’t think of many more players that have frustrated me as much as him. In fact the news of his departure actually helped me feel better about our relegation.

McGivern is one of the few players about whom every Hibs fan is totally correct in their opinion of him, as he managed to be excellent, totally pish and most things in between at various times during his time with us.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAbout 18 years. Seen far worse than McGivern.

Zibi
Joe Keenan
Alan O'Brian
Sean O'Hanlon
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill
Shefki Kuqi
Michael Hart
Graeme Smith
Michael Nelson funnily enough
Tudor Jones
Rowan Vine
Danny Haynes
Kujabi

That was without much thought. McGivern was actually a good player until his last 6 months here.

TelaStella
24-05-2018, 04:36 PM
About 18 years. Seen far worse than McGivern.

Zibi
Joe Keenan
Alan O'Brian
Sean O'Hanlon
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill
Shefki Kuqi
Michael Hart
Graeme Smith
Tudor Jones
Rowan Vine
Danny Haynes
Kujabi

That was without much thought. McGivern was actually a good player until his last 6 months here.

Credit to you mate I forgot about Michael Hart.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Credit to you mate I forgot about Michael Hart.

So had I but I seen him at the Aberdeen? Game I think. Like seeing a ghost.

IGRIGI
24-05-2018, 05:46 PM

Zibi
Joe Keenan
Alan O'Brian
Sean O'Hanlon
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill
Shefki Kuqi
Michael Hart
Graeme Smith
Tudor Jones
Rowan Vine
Danny Haynes
Kujabi

FFS, at least post a warning message before losing names like that.

:greengrin

King conrad
24-05-2018, 09:36 PM
I take it this is our Michael Nelson ? See his new managers quote :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44224019 I don't post on here often but I'm going to have to this time. I can honestly say Michael Nelson is the worst player I've seen pull on a hibs shirt. I have never seen a professional football player who aimlessly just punts the ball wherever he is facing as much as he did , absolutely awful player. If he faced his own goals he would probably just punt it in for an o.g as he knows no other way! his partner in crime at left back Mcgivern was just as awful, two players that stole a living, anyway rant over i'm off.

tamig
24-05-2018, 09:44 PM

He wasn’t. Some awful comments on this thread.

24-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Jeezo, thats another name from the pre-relegation years that makes you shudder. Frightening that that was once our standard of signing. The guy seems like a nice bloke and he tried his best but he was a terrible player.

tamig
24-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Does nobody remember Colin Murdoch? Can’t believe some peoples views of McGivern and Nelson being among the worst ever. Nowhere near imo.

24-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Zibi
Joe Keenan
Alan O'Brian
Sean O'Hanlon
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill
Shefki Kuqi
Michael Hart
Graeme Smith
Tudor Jones
Rowan Vine
Danny Haynes
Kujabi

That list is truly frightening. Rowan Vine?! Jesus God that name still gives me the fear.

BILLYHIBS
25-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Always thought he was decent for us though not the most technically gifted always gave 100 % From what I remember would use his experience to get him through games as not the quickest.He might have been one of the older players who was told by Butcher his services would no longer be required at the end of season the implication being that he would stop playing for the Manager but it was not obvious watching him play that he had thrown the towel in.

Dashing Bob S
25-05-2018, 11:20 AM
about 18 years. Seen far worse than mcgivern.

Zibi
joe keenan
alan o'brian
sean o'hanlon
martin scott
matt thornhill
shefki kuqi
michael hart
graeme smith
michael nelson funnily enough
tudor jones
rowan vine
danny haynes
kujabi

that was without much thought. Mcgivern was actually a good player until his last 6 months here.

please tell your friends to skip this thread and admins delete immediately. This list, once viewed, cannot be unseen.

BILLYHIBS
25-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Zibi
Joe Keenan
Alan O'Brian
Sean O'Hanlon
Martin Scott
Matt Thornhill
Shefki Kuqi
Michael Hart
Graeme Smith
Tudor Jones
Rowan Vine
Danny Haynes
Kujabi

:******:

BILLYHIBS
25-05-2018, 11:32 AM
:******:
Tried to post s### and fan emoji but never got passed admin in case anyone wonders what happened to my comment.

That list should carry an X Certificate. Whatever happened to Pa?

The Modfather
25-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Tried to post s### and fan emoji but never got passed admin in case anyone wonders what happened to my comment.

I believe Ronaldo employs him as his free kick trainer.

SaulGoodman
25-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Married to Maw Broon

SJNB Hibby
25-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Went to whitehawk
Now with soham rangers in England's 8th tier
He's clearly found his level

Northernhibee
25-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Married to Maw Broon

That would make her Maw Kujabi though.

Haymaker
26-05-2018, 03:06 AM
please tell your friends to skip this thread and admins delete immediately. This list, once viewed, cannot be unseen.

This.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-05-2018, 05:24 AM
Does he still co-ordinate coffee mornings with his team-mates?

Iceman1875
26-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Best thing about the admiral was the handlebar he grew for Movember

SChibs
27-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Say what you want about Michael Nelson he played over half a game away to Ross County with a dislocated shoulder and im sure he scored too. Mo Salah went off last night with the same injury.

Apply logic and it seems Nelson can do things on a football pitch Salah can't and therefore he is a better player.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Yep always said he gave 100%

stu in nottingham
27-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Michael Nelson was a 'head it-kick it' stopper type centre half. Being invited to play for Hibs says a lot more about Hibs' level of ambition in that period than it does the player who gave his best at the time.

Interested in Martin Allen's assessment of his players, what a character 'Mad Dog' is! He left Notts County under something of a cloud for some misdeed but the fans loved his passionate style of management.

heidtheba
27-05-2018, 04:20 PM
One of the biggest differences about Hibs since Stubbs came is our ability to 'make a player better'. Yes there are some exceptions both ways, but generally every player we bought got worse with us. Craig, McGivern, McPake and others I remember thinking the same about at the time all rocked up, played well at the start (or came with decent reputations) and all ended up keeich.