PDA

View Full Version : What type of player would be your ideal captain?

theonlywayisup
22-05-2018, 04:10 PM
The experienced goalie, someone who can watch the game develop and barks orders
The dominating centrehalf, someone who puts his head where it hurts
The quietly efficient full-back, respected by all
The powerhouse in midfield, someone who's often on the wrong side of the law, hated by the opposition
The attacking midfielder, capable of scoring as many strikers
The 20-goals a season striker, creates and scores out of nothing

So many types of player to choose from - some not mentioned above - what type of player would be you ideal captain?

I come from a generation when Scotland had some great centrehalfs, many of which were their club captain. That's always been my preferred choice.

IWasThere2016
22-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Sir David Gray :flag:

Seriously, with you with the blood n guts CH

Hibee Mac
22-05-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm definitely of the opinion that it shouldn't usually be a player in the attacking third. I feel like whoever it is should play in a position where they can have more of an impact on all aspects of the game if need be. Seems to me to be why centre halfs or midfielders fit the bill best.

Jones28
22-05-2018, 04:30 PM
CH or CM for me. How's a striker or a goalie meant to influence one another throughout the game?

hibsbollah
22-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Centre half or sweeper. The ability to see how the game is developing on the whole pitch is vital imo. (The ability and desire to lose four teeth while scoring in derby games is an added bonus).

Zazu62
22-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Roy Keane type CM

22-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Not a big fan of having keepers as captains IMO. Too far away from a lot of the actions. Ideal captain for me is a CH or CM, someone right in the thick of it and can command the game. Hows a keeper meant to get involved when most of the team are the other ed of the park at say a corner or something.

Kind of like a Scott Brown type captain. Gets right stuck in and is continuously rallying his team and keeping them organised throughout the game. He's the kind of character you hate if he's against you but absolutely the type of guy you want on your side.

Gray, McGreagor and Hanlon all fantastic captain material as well, we are lucky to have these guys.

Just Jimmy
22-05-2018, 05:09 PM
one that scores in 92nd min to win the Scottish cup first time in 114 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IGRIGI
22-05-2018, 05:10 PM
CB like Rob Jones.

Johnny_Leith
22-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Captaincy in football is becoming somewhat outdated, I think. Players are more professional now than they were back in the day, and the majority lead by example in keeping themselves fit, professional and motivated.

I think there was a time where having one player who was a 'leader' that didn't smoke, go out before/after games religiously and was trusted to behave with fans on and off the park was vital for a club but in modern football and society, the spotlight is never off footballers. This encourages better behaviour and sports science ensures they are all at peak fitness whenever possible.

Does a Roy Keane type on the pitch push the team anymore than the manager from the sidelines now? I'm not so sure.

Smartie
22-05-2018, 05:17 PM
one that scores in 92nd min to win the Scottish cup first time in 114 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

David Gray's performance in the 20 minutes up to that moment was the ultimate captain's performance.

His aggression, pressing and pushing forward set the tone for our cup win.

The goal was the icing on the cake.

We're lucky in that we've got plenty of captain material in the squad.

snooky
22-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Captaincy in football is becoming somewhat outdated, I think. Players are more professional now than they were back in the day, and the majority lead by example in keeping themselves fit, professional and motivated.

I think there was a time where having one player who was a 'leader' that didn't smoke, go out before/after games religiously and was trusted to behave with fans on and off the park was vital for a club but in modern football and society, the spotlight is never off footballers. This encourages better behaviour and sports science ensures they are all at peak fitness whenever possible.

Does a Roy Keane type on the pitch push the team anymore than the manager from the sidelines now? I'm not so sure.

You're right up to a point however, I think every 'pack' needs a leader. Someone with a never-say-die spirit who can rally the troops whenever his/her team are struggling. These people are special and IMO essential in any side.

IncredibleHibee
22-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Marvin Bartley

Johnny_Leith
22-05-2018, 05:25 PM
You're right up to a point however, I think every 'pack' needs a leader. Someone with a never-say-die spirit who can rally the troops whenever his/her team are struggling. These people are special and IMO essential in any side.

I'd agree that some groups definitely need them, and some groups can go without. Probably towards the top of the game, captaincy is more of a gesture. Huge win bonuses helps towards a lot of the motivation of players, along with fans expectations and footballing glory. I suppose you get to the top level by being able to self motivate to an exceptional level.

beensaidbefore
22-05-2018, 05:56 PM
A talker, an organiser, and someone who has the respect of the fans. Prefer it to be someone at the back so they can watch the game in front of them. McGregor fits that bill imo, so he would get my vote.

SChibs
22-05-2018, 06:06 PM
How much of the game does the captain influence? How often do we really see hanlon or Gray shout orders or that about? I feel a lot of the captain's influence comes from off the pitch which is why their personality and character traits should come into it more rather than what position they play

Mr White
22-05-2018, 06:06 PM
A talker, an organiser, and someone who has the respect of the fans. Prefer it to be someone at the back so they can watch the game in front of them. McGregor fits that bill imo, so he would get my vote.

Even though he's from Leith?

beensaidbefore
22-05-2018, 06:10 PM
It gives him that radge edge we need😂 YLT style

J-C
22-05-2018, 06:40 PM
A captain isn't just for games, he has to be influential behind the scenes also, SDG maybe not the shouty type on the pitch but a very good influence off it. If you want a blood and guts type captain then McGregor is your man, a leader by example on the pitch.

AZhibee
22-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Marvin Bartley

Was about top say that!!! But, a Marvin Bartley with a little more attacking capability.:flag:

hibbydog
22-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Sir David Gray

HibeeHibernian4
22-05-2018, 07:20 PM
David Gray's performance in the 20 minutes up to that moment was the ultimate captain's performance.

:agree:

His level of dedication in that last 20 minutes was out of this world. Tracked back and made three almost impossible tackles, battling through a knock he sustained and then heading in the winner. What a man.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Spot on. Something we sorely lacked over the years. We “put all our eggs in one basket” (say with McPake) and even then often chose the wrong captain who appeared to offer few leadership qualities.

We now have leaders spread throughout the team. I think that’s what Collins and PLG were looking for. Perhaps ahead of their time for Scotland.

I think since the Miller era in general out captains with few exceptions have been quiet. I prefer more vocal and demonstrative (without “barking”)

I’ve often wondered if in the past Hibs were guilty of trying to get around the wage cap by offering the captains role to important players but not necessarily captains material...

Iggy Pope
22-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Even though he's from Leith?

:greengrin
Off his tits, clearly.

hibbydog
22-05-2018, 09:15 PM
:agree:

His level of dedication in that last 20 minutes was out of this world. Tracked back and made three almost impossible tackles, battling through a knock he sustained and then heading in the winner. What a man.

I often use that as an example to my kids when they have a tough task. The man was down injured with 5 minutes to go, we had no subs left. He took the difficult option, got up, manned up and scored the most important goal in the clubs history.

Now he’s an icon.

I’m jumping around the living room again

monktonharp
22-05-2018, 10:31 PM
Marvin BartleyIf I cant have Pat Stanton or John Blackley, then yes Marvin would do nicely. don't know how he was not used against the gorgie mob recently. he has a presence , when on the field. when things go wrong he digs in . my kinda guy.

guidref
23-05-2018, 06:24 AM
A captian shouldn't be the one who shouts the loudest!

It should be the one who inspires the most, a leader, a decision maker, a communicator, a delgator, an empowerer, someone who others follow without question.

It can be the quietest person in the squad but it should be the one who influences the most

IncredibleHibee
23-05-2018, 12:57 PM
when things go wrong he digs in . my kinda guy.

Exactly. Very telling he was the one who faced the press after Lennon’s rant after the hearts game - Marv is a man who stands up to be counted.

Renfrew_Hibby
23-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Great teams have multiple captains.

The Leith Dutch
24-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Was about top say that!!! But, a Marvin Bartley with a little more attacking capability.:flag:

Got to love us Hibs fans.
Years crying out for a Winger and a good Defensive Mid.
Now the winger can't tackle and tbe DM doesn't get enough assists ;)

Completely agree mind.
Marv with a decent bit of attacking nous would possibly be first name on the team sheet.

Sets the tone ;)

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-05-2018, 11:06 AM
A player who sets the standards and expectations then demands it of himself first.

ancient hibee
24-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Graeme Souness.Had The right idea and punched Alan Kennedy for not passing properly in a practice game.Gave Kennedy the confidence to win the European Cup:greengrin

Geo_1875
24-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Graeme Souness.Had The right idea and punched Alan Kennedy for not passing properly in a practice game.Gave Kennedy the confidence to win the European Cup:greengrin

A bully and a coward. Fitted in well at Liverpool and the Huns.

ancient hibee
24-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Bully certainly.Coward not so sure..One of The outstanding players of his generation.

bookert
24-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Bully certainly.Coward not so sure..One of The outstanding players of his generation.

Well he did boot mccluskey when his back was turned, Billy stark when he was hopping about holding his boot and siggi Johnson when he was a 17 year old laddie.

ancient hibee
24-05-2018, 02:48 PM
As I recall it ,it was a full frontal assault on Mccluskey.

monktonharp
24-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Got to love us Hibs fans.
Years crying out for a Winger and a good Defensive Mid.
Now the winger can't tackle and tbe DM doesn't get enough assists ;)

Completely agree mind.
Marv with a decent bit of attacking nous would possibly be first name on the team sheet.

Sets the tone ;)I still think big Marv has a certain "drive" for an attack at the opposition. he has hardly ever had a pot at goal to my mind but can get the ball forward to the 18 yd box, and push players on that should be in that area anyway. I like him mucho, and feel he was used far too sparingly over the season for some obscure reason.