PDA

View Full Version : Linlithgow Rose v Hibs Pre season

linlithgowhibbie
22-05-2018, 12:46 PM
FIXTURE ANNOUNCEMENT
LINLITHGOW ROSE V HIBERNIAN FC
Saturday 30th June 2018
Kick off 3.00pm
Linlithgow Rose will host Neil Lennon's Hibernian side on Saturday 30th June as the Easter Road side prepare for their upcoming European campaign.
Admission: £6 adults £3 concessions

Taken from the Rose facebook page!

Cabbage East
22-05-2018, 12:55 PM
A Hibs XI surely?

Big_Franck
22-05-2018, 01:06 PM
A Hibs XI surely?

I'd have thought so. Decent game for the likes of Shaw, F Murray etc to warm up for the season with.

Onceinawhile
22-05-2018, 01:08 PM
According to the Rose it is at hibs request and they are expecting a full squad.

Strickland should be a good test for Darren and Paul.

LithgaeHibby
22-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Ya beauty! The Hibees are coming to town and it's right on our doorstep. My wee boy is going to be over the moon tonight!

Since90+2
22-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Any decent boozers near the ground?

Diclonius
22-05-2018, 01:14 PM
If it's the full first team I might pop along to this one.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2018, 01:15 PM
According to the Rose it is at hibs request and they are expecting a full squad.

Maybe our 1st game back, probably be 2 different teams in each half

tartanhibee
22-05-2018, 01:16 PM
There are around 10 pubs in Linlithgow with the west port, black bitch, and the rose club it’s self being the closest. Personally disappointed to be missing this as I’m on holiday.

Smartie
22-05-2018, 01:21 PM
A day oot in Linlithgow?

Yes please!

.Sean.
22-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Same day as Trnsmt in Glasgow or I’d have went.

hibbyfraelibby
22-05-2018, 04:59 PM
A team that plays maroon? Bring it on.

linlithgowhibbie
22-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Any decent boozers near the ground?

Starting from the train station you have,
1. The Star, has outside drinking area.
2. Platform 3 has great real ales but quite small.
3. The Post Office is big and cheapish, a belhaven pub with pub grub and big screens.
4. The 4 Marys another Belhaven pub plenty real bear/lagers to choose from
5, Bar 1807 (used to be the "Hole") fullof women drinking wine, you cant walk in and order at the bar, its waitress service.
6. Linlithgow Tap (used to be the Footies) decent boozer with circular island bar and good choice of drinks.
7. The Crown is probably the most popular local in town but quite wee, good service and plenty choices of drinks.
8. The Swan, decent boozer, nowt special but okay, Has a beer garden too
9, The Kelpies, another smallish bar but ok
10, The Black Bitch lounge, bar and beer garden, good boozer
11 West Port hotel, more hotelish than pub but has lounge and food and big sports bar(when open)
12 Rugby Club big and cheap plenty parking (may have a rugby game on tho)
13 Lastly the Rose club function room will seat 200, seperate lounge and games room with 2 pool tables, decent prices attached to the Rose ground. Parking for about 50 cars on match days.

Plenty on street parking nearby and the Academy has spaces for about 100 cars if nothing on at the school.

Hope this helps.

PS station is less that 1 mile from ground

Brian

Slim Shady
22-05-2018, 06:14 PM

This a wind up. He’s murder.

linlithgowhibbie
22-05-2018, 06:15 PM
This a wind up. He’s murder.

Aye Tommy Coynes the main threat!!

overdrive
22-05-2018, 07:04 PM
There are around 10 pubs in Linlithgow with the west port, black bitch, and the rose club it’s self being the closest. Personally disappointed to be missing this as I’m on holiday.

The Black Bitch? What a name for a pub! :faf:

Since90+2
22-05-2018, 07:08 PM
3. The Post Office is big and cheapish, a belhaven pub with pub grub and big screens.
5, Bar 1807 (used to be the "Hole") fullof women drinking wine, you cant walk in and order at the bar, its waitress service.
6. Linlithgow Tap (used to be the Footies) decent boozer with circular island bar and good choice of drinks.
7. The Crown is probably the most popular local in town but quite wee, good service and plenty choices of drinks.
8. The Star, dece nt boozer, nowt special but okay, Has a beer garden too
11 West Port hotel, more hotelish than pub but has lounge and food and big sports bar(when open)
13 Lastly the Rose club function room will seat 200, seperate lounge and games room with 2 pool tables, decent prices attached to the Rose ground. Parking for about 50 cars on match days.

Plenty on street parking nearby and the Academy has spaces for about 100 cars if nothing on at the school.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Cheers for this

Stonewall
22-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Linlithgow's Black Bitch
The burgh's coat of arms features a black bitch chained to an oak tree on an island, and those born within the town are known as "black bitches".[6] In his account of a tour of Scotland, published in 1679, an English gentleman, Thomas Kirk, described the arms of the town as "a black bitch tied to a tree, in a floating island. We enquired for a story about it, but could meet with none: their schoolmaster told us it proceeded from the name of the place. Linlithgow, in Erst [Gaelic], is thus explained: Lin signifies Lough; Lith, black; and Gow, a hound."[7]

A more recently recorded legend relates that the bitch was a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in the loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him. When this was discovered she was chained to a tree on a different island to suffer the same fate as her master. The townspeople took the animal's loyalty and bravery as symbolic of their own. The local pub named "The Black Bitch" is reputed to be one of Scotland's oldest pubs.[8]

Stonewall
22-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Linlithgow's Black Bitch
The burgh's coat of arms features a black bitch chained to an oak tree on an island, and those born within the town are known as "black bitches".[6] In his account of a tour of Scotland, published in 1679, an English gentleman, Thomas Kirk, described the arms of the town as "a black bitch tied to a tree, in a floating island. We enquired for a story about it, but could meet with none: their schoolmaster told us it proceeded from the name of the place. Linlithgow, in Erst [Gaelic], is thus explained: Lin signifies Lough; Lith, black; and Gow, a hound."[7]

A more recently recorded legend relates that the bitch was a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in the loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him. When this was discovered she was chained to a tree on a different island to suffer the same fate as her master. The townspeople took the animal's loyalty and bravery as symbolic of their own. The local pub named "The Black Bitch" is reputed to be one of Scotland's oldest pubs.[8]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Black_Bitch_Linlithgow.svg/180px-Black_Bitch_Linlithgow.svg.png

monktonharp
22-05-2018, 10:42 PM
I always thought of the name "black Bitch" being related to the nearby greyhound track if I am correct/ My Auld faither used to take me there. pretty sure it was in Lithgae ? I can remember a guy at the track saying to my Da, that wee bitch wi' the number 3, runs at Wallyford, I think it has a white chest and they've painted ower it! .was there a track there, or I am confused with Armadale?

monktonharp
22-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Anyway, how much of a walk form the B.Bitch to the ground?:confused:

snooky
22-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Anyway, how much of a walk form the B.Bitch to the ground?:confused:

No more than 400m, I would guess. (i.e. about 1/4 mile)

snooky
22-05-2018, 10:58 PM

I wonder what American tourists make of it as they drive by?

Onceinawhile
22-05-2018, 11:10 PM
No more than 400m, I would guess. (i.e. about 1/4 mile)

Even then that's probably on the high side.

Kavinho
22-05-2018, 11:17 PM
8. The Star, dece nt boozer, nowt special but okay, Has a beer garden too

Hope this helps.

Brian
And the bools club!

monktonharp
23-05-2018, 12:56 AM
this Linlithgow outing is looking better by the minute :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
23-05-2018, 06:00 AM
And the bools club!

I left the two bowling clubs and the cricket and the golf clubs out as they are busy in season with bowlers and cricketers and golfers!!!!

Stonewall
23-05-2018, 06:15 AM
I always thought of the name "black Bitch" being related to the nearby greyhound track if I am correct/ My Auld faither used to take me there. pretty sure it was in Lithgae ? I can remember a guy at the track saying to my Da, that wee bitch wi' the number 3, runs at Wallyford, I think it has a white chest and they've painted ower it! .was there a track there, or I am confused with Armadale?

i believe there was a greyhound track in Linlithgow. It was situated by the rugby club and is now the second pitch.

BroxburnHibee
23-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Handy one for me :greengrin

Rocky
23-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Wonder if they'll need to make this all ticket. Attendance for Rose match against Raith in Scottish Cup was given as 2,250 - I could see us topping that and the ground was pretty full that day.

calumhibee1
23-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Wonder if they'll need to make this all ticket. Attendance for Rose match against Raith in Scottish Cup was given as 2,250 - I could see us topping that and the ground was pretty full that day.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t top that.

marjoriebanks
23-05-2018, 10:20 AM
The black bitch reference to folk from Linlithgow.

The town’s coat of arms features a black bitch dog against an oak tree, after a legend of a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in Linlithgow loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him, and managed to save his life. The townspeople took the symbol of the dog’s loyalty and bravery as their own. The local pub named “The Black Bitch” is one of Scotland’s oldest pubs.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2018, 10:23 AM
What pubs does Colin Sinclair own in Linlithgow, if he still own’s them ?

Rocky
23-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Wonder if this friendly is a sign of a wider link up. Hibs u20s used to play at Linlithgow, maybe they're thinking of using Prestonfield for reserve games and the takings at the gate are in lieu of 'rental'. It's a cracking surface and might save a few quid on Oriam rental.

overdrive
23-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Apparently my boss lives across the road from the Black Bitch and her husband’s relatives from abroad were horrified when they saw the name of it :faf

Another guy at work who lives in Linlithgow came out with the dog on the island story which my boss had never heard of. He says the badge of Linlithgow Academy is a representation of this. Every day’s a school day.

tartanhibee
23-05-2018, 10:44 AM
What pubs does Colin Sinclair own in Linlithgow, if he still own’s them ?

Used to own the football and cricketers and the brigde inn, I’m not sure if that’s stll the case.

Peevemor
23-05-2018, 10:53 AM
The black bitch reference to folk from Linlithgow.

The town’s coat of arms features a black bitch dog against an oak tree, after a legend of a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in Linlithgow loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him, and managed to save his life. The townspeople took the symbol of the dog’s loyalty and bravery as their own. The local pub named “The Black Bitch” is one of Scotland’s oldest pubs.

I remember Tam Dalyell once hitting the headlines after referring to a Linlithgow girl as a "black bitch".

Billy
23-05-2018, 11:12 AM
I remember Tam Dalyell once hitting the headlines after referring to a Linlithgow girl as a "black bitch".

That is what you are called if you are born within the boundaries, here's an article from a couple of years ago: https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/news/newest-black-bitch-is-born-1-275136

linlithgowhibbie
24-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Another wee heads up,

Historic Scotland have their annual jousting tournament t the Palace/Peel on saturday 30th and sunday 1st July so traffic will be extra busy.

PS no drinking in the streets in West Lothian either!!!!!

Onceinawhile
24-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Another wee heads up,

Historic Scotland have their annual jousting tournament t the Palace/Peel on saturday 30th and sunday 1st July so traffic will be extra busy.

PS no drinking in the streets in West Lothian either!!!!!

Thanks visit Scotland.