PDA

View Full Version : 3G Pitches

seanshow
21-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Imo this is the time for the splf to bring in a 'grass pitch only' rule for the top league.
But they better act now before Livvy get started digging! or that'll be 3x 3G pitches in the league next season :(

Set the rule now and bring it in for the 2019-20 season, and that gives Killie and Hamilton time to sort out their plastic abominations. ( last i heard killie are keeping their pitch for a few seasons )

Alan62
21-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Agreed. Has to be stopped. They're useless.

Michael
21-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Top level of the sport must be grass. Imagine Wimbledon was on astro.

Hibernian Verse
21-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Exactly. Our league is seen as a joke down south and it's no wonder when we are playing on pitches equivalent to those at the new high schools.

Future17
21-05-2018, 10:59 AM

They're not top level though. League One I think...

lord bunberry
21-05-2018, 11:04 AM
I don’t like them, but if we are going to allow them there should be rules about the condition of them. Lennon was saying after the killie game that they hadn’t been watering the pitch so it was really dry and difficult to play on. It’s bad enough that they gain an advantage by having a plastic pitch, they shouldn’t gain further by having it in a state that stops a proper bounce or roll of the ball.

Hermit Crab
21-05-2018, 11:05 AM
They're not top level though. League One I think...

Is that a whoosh moment sir? I'm sure he means the AETC. :greengrin

Gatecrasher
21-05-2018, 11:08 AM
As stated above "IF" these are going to be allowed they have to have rules on the quality and condition of the pitch, some of them are years old and look horrible to play on. Grass pitches need to maintained so theres no reason why these cant.

Leith_Hibee
21-05-2018, 11:56 AM
I heard Killie are digging theirs up and reverting back to grass.

Future17
21-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Is that a whoosh moment sir? I'm sure he means the AETC. :greengrin

;-)

Billy Whizz
21-05-2018, 12:06 PM
I heard Killie are digging theirs up and reverting back to grass.

Season after next

CMac1988
21-05-2018, 12:12 PM
I've no issue with hybrid pitches with the synthetic elements of the surface helping the growth and retention of natural grass, but completely synthetic pitches shouldn't be allowed in the top league. Some sort of financial assistance where applicable should be given in an effort to convert pitches when teams are promoted.

adhibs
21-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Exactly. Our league is seen as a joke down south and it's no wonder when we are playing on pitches equivalent to those at the new high schools.

I think their leagues a joke. You seen the video of the Chelsea fans 'celebrating' the goal in that dirge of a final? Football devoid of any real emotion.

I do agree re the pitches though.

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Bit heavy or not but I think they should be banned, full stop. I completely understand and respect that maintaining a good grass surface all year could be a financial strain on the likes of Hamilton or Livi but at the end of the day football is a grass sport and for me there’s no other way. For the clubs that do struggle with the cash, surely the SFA could step in somehow with some assistance? As for Killie, if they do rip that thing up then I take my hat off to them and would bet nearly all of it will be down to Steve Clarke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
21-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Bit heavy or not but I think they should be banned, full stop. I completely understand and respect that maintaining a good grass surface all year could be a financial strain on the likes of Hamilton or Livi but at the end of the day football is a grass sport and for me there’s no other way. For the clubs that do struggle with the cash, surely the SFA could step in somehow with some assistance? As for Killie, if they do rip that thing up then I take my hat off to them and would bet nearly all of it will be down to Steve Clarke.

Football teams can't afford grass pitches? I've heard it all now ...

allezsauzee
21-05-2018, 01:49 PM
While I'm not a fan. At least clubs with artificial pitches can't let the grass grow to stop football being played.

Lago
21-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Totally agree

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Football teams can't afford grass pitches? I've heard it all now ...

Haha sound then. You think they deliberately choose to play on plastic over grass?

lord bunberry
21-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Haha sound then. You think they deliberately choose to play on plastic over grass?

Of course they do. Playing on plastic allows them to rent it out during the week to anyone who wants it. It’s a commercial decision.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Who really cares what they think down south. Need to stop comparing ourselves to the English game all the time. If we even got 10% of the revenue they get down there then teams wouldn’t need to do things like this to survive. We got under 2 million for finishing fourth in our league. West Brom got 100 million for finishing bottom of theirs. So they can shove any comparisons they want to make up their a***.

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Of course they do. Playing on plastic allows them to rent it out during the week to anyone who wants it. It’s a commercial decision.

The Livingston academy has an Astro pitch right outside Almondvale already, same with Hamilton. Laying a decent grass pitch nowadays sets a club back at least 1 mill with it usually needing relayed every 2/3 seasons. On top of that you have the ground staff to pay, sprinklers to maintain etc. A plastic pitch costs hehaw.

Hibernian Verse
21-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Who really cares what they think down south. Need to stop comparing ourselves to the English game all the time. If we even got 10% of the revenue they get down there then teams wouldn’t need to do things like this to survive. We got under 2 million for finishing fourth in our league. West Brom got 100 million for finishing bottom of theirs. So they can shove any comparisons they want to make up their a***.I'll tell you who cares what people think down south. Sky and BT. Which you have alluded to.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
21-05-2018, 08:09 PM

Yes, they save a few quid on maintenance and they can generate a wee bit using the pitch. So they’ll have a wee bit extra which they’ll spend on wages. But most of the lower leagues, non league, juniors etc. have perfectly good grass pitches. There’s no excuse for prem teams and the rules should be changed.

where'stheslope
21-05-2018, 08:21 PM
All this about 3G pitches is just an old nugget being brought back!
Remember when Falkirk were denied entry to the top league I think 3 times as the never had an all seated stadium, if I remember rightly it save Aberdeen from relegation one year?
Its all about what clubs can afford, if other clubs feel they should have grass pitches then maybe its them who should pay for it?
If I remember correctly the pitch on the other side of the city was grass and everyone seemed to knock it at every opportunity, I know they are laying a hybrid pitch for next season (if ready in time), but at some cost!

Leith Green
21-05-2018, 08:38 PM
The Livingston academy has an Astro pitch right outside Almondvale already, same with Hamilton. Laying a decent grass pitch nowadays sets a club back at least 1 mill with it usually needing relayed every 2/3 seasons. On top of that you have the ground staff to pay, sprinklers to maintain etc. A plastic pitch costs hehaw.

At the end of the day , if a team cannot afford a grass pitch then tough titties.. It should be mandatory to play on grass it really should be that simple.

Carheenlea
21-05-2018, 08:46 PM
People will put up reasonable enough reasons for clubs doing so, but sports centre quality plastic pitches and two/three sided stadiums does the SPFL no favours.

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 10:36 PM
At the end of the day , if a team cannot afford a grass pitch then tough titties.. It should be mandatory to play on grass it really should be that simple.

That’s exactly my point mate.

lord bunberry
22-05-2018, 12:00 AM

Yes but if you as a hibs fan had the option of playing outside the stadium or inside the stadium on the same pitch as your heroes played on, I’m sure you’d take the latter option. There’s money to be made from renting out a plastic pitch inside a football stadium.

cocteautwin
22-05-2018, 02:00 AM

Yes indeed. They should be forced to play on grass and reduce their playing budget accordingly if they think they can't afford a grass pitch.

SChibs
22-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Not too fussed about plastic pitches to be honest. Teams like Hamilton need all the money they can get and it could be the difference between them staying up each year

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Not too fussed about plastic pitches to be honest. Teams like Hamilton need all the money they can get and it could be the difference between them staying up each year

Hope they go down, plastic pitch aside, they bring nothing to the league.

HappyAsHellas
22-05-2018, 08:30 AM
I hate them as on top of being a 2nd rate surface to play on it gives an unfair advantage to the home team - teams like Hamilton survive on their home results and that's just wrong. As for the much touted financial gains, I fail to see it. If Killie rent out their pitch at night for local five a sides or whatever, how much do they charge and how much does it cost to open up the stadium with the floodlights on etc? Berwick Rangers can afford a grass pitch and I think their budget will be significantly less than Hamilton's.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 09:04 AM
I hate them as on top of being a 2nd rate surface to play on it gives an unfair advantage to the home team - teams like Hamilton survive on their home results and that's just wrong. As for the much touted financial gains, I fail to see it. If Killie rent out their pitch at night for local five a sides or whatever, how much do they charge and how much does it cost to open up the stadium with the floodlights on etc? Berwick Rangers can afford a grass pitch and I think their budget will be significantly less than Hamilton's.

I'm sure Killy are getting rid of their plastic effort at the end of next season.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2018, 09:05 AM
I'm sure Killy are getting rid of their plastic effort at the end of next season.

They are

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Has anyone ever seen a really good game of football on a plastic pitch, as i cant think of one? :confused:

Its a different game, players stop differently, they pass the ball differently, and the ball behaves differently, top flight football shouldn't have these pitches until such time as they are the same as grass.

Its all very well looking at costs, but the life and blood of the game are the fans, and we should be able to watch players at least trying to play football, not the game we see on that surface.

lord bunberry
22-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Are any World Cup games being played on plastic pitches?

Godsahibby
22-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Would have much preferred playing on a 3G pitch over the ‘grass’ pitch at Tiny this season.

Geo_1875
22-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Hope they go down, plastic pitch aside, they bring nothing to the league.

Hamilton should GTF and take their plastic pitch with them. If a small team like Morton can produce a superb playing surface in the Championship there is no excuse for clubs in the top league.

JimBHibees
22-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Are any World Cup games being played on plastic pitches?

Think the Luznihki where the final is being played is a part plastic pitch.

Swedish hibee
22-05-2018, 02:17 PM
We play on them over here, they don't hold us back!

Phil MaGlass
22-05-2018, 03:19 PM
They r trying to get rid of them in the top flight in Holland. Adds to injury and some players just cant play on them and it gives the home team a considerable advantage over clubs that play on grass.

Thecat23
22-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Utter shambles top flight teams are using them. Should be banned simple as that.

overdrive
22-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Think the Luznihki where the final is being played is a part plastic pitch.

I think that’s more like what Hearts are installing though which is completely different to the monstrosities at Killie and Hamilton. If it is more like the one the Yams are installing, then it’s largely grass with “plastic” interwined at the soil level to make the grass stronger. It is essentially a grass pitch.

I was indifferent to fake pitches until I went to the Killie away game a couple of months ago and saw it in person. The way the ball bounces is completely different, the players end up running differently, and even tackling is quite different. I’m amazed there haven’t been more injuries on these surfaces. Aside from all that, they look kind of ****.