PDA

View Full Version : No sympathy for thistle

BILLYHIBS
20-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Partick Thistle today learned the hard way that there is no room in football for sentiment.They latterly played a style of football that was not good to watch. They played a containing game a boring brand of football creating little chances and scoring too few goals. Their up and coming young managerial partnership appeared to run out of ideas when the pressure was on and the chips were down. Firhill for thrills what does the future hold for Patrick Thistle?They face a season in a lower division a dog fight with Ross County and Dundee United and possible financial cutbacks in the season ahead.Do we feel sorry for them? No.We have been there and no one felt sorry for us.I would take Kris Doolan though I reckon Lenny could make a decent striker out of him.The vultures will be hovering as Partick Thistle endeavour to make ends meet.Welcome to the real world.

We are left to face a rejuvenated St Mirren and a tough tackling streetwise Livi side that will take no prisoners and set themselves up as hard to beat.

Callum Booth anyone?

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
20-05-2018, 06:13 PM
I really have no interest in anyone but Hibs and our next opponent.

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-05-2018, 06:14 PM
St Mirren - likely to lose Jack Ross?

Northernhibee
20-05-2018, 06:14 PM
I have sympathy for them. Their fans could just as easily take the bus to support Rangers or Celtic but they don't. Good supporters.

WestCoastHibby
20-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever. Archibald coming out with the same hard luck stories week in week out. They will be stuck in the championship for a good while I imagine.
Livvy will find it tough and their bean counters now need to rip it up and start again with a plan for the top league but well done to them for digging out the results.

givescotlandfreedom
20-05-2018, 06:19 PM
I'd rather Thistle stayed up. Livi are a plastic team with hardly any fans whose only achievements were through financial doping. They're also hammer throwers which Scottish football has too many of.

green day
20-05-2018, 06:20 PM
I have sympathy for them. Their fans could just as easily take the bus to support Rangers or Celtic but they don't. Good supporters.

Correct. I fear for them now, might end up doing a Raith Rovers next year.

Kojock
20-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Livvi V Hear7s will be an enthralling fixture.

Ronniekirk
20-05-2018, 06:28 PM
St Mirren - likely to lose Jack Ross?

Well he has now formally spoken to two clubs in the past five months with a view to leaving so assume if he gets an offer from a Club he is happy to move to he will be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoreTheGreen
20-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Well he has now formally spoken to two clubs in the past five months with a view to leaving so assume if he gets an offer from a Club he is happy to move to he will be off

As long the female physio is fit

keep the faith
20-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Livi are here on merit and it's some achievement.
However, they offer absolutely nothing to the top flight. No fanbase. No travelling support. No cash. No excitement. An accessible away day is about all their promotion offers Scottish football.
The sooner United and dunfermline get their act together and get back up the better IMO.

Iggy Pope
20-05-2018, 06:37 PM

Not sure about this. Their supporters support Thistle as they have done for generations like ours. They're not due any medals for it. IMO they are just getting on with supporting a team.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The Harp
20-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Sorry to see Thistle relegated. Can't be easy for the club trying to survive in Glasgow. Hope they get back up soon, not going to be easy though.

Iggy Pope
20-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Ipswich interested in Ross but also courting Derek Adams? Partick might end up looking for a gaffer soon too....

Glory Lurker
20-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Thistle over Livi every day for me, although Livi deserved it. Can only hope that the success might pry some away from the clutches of the ugly sisters.

J-C
20-05-2018, 06:49 PM
It was 2 brutal games of football with very little guile and creativity, Thistle have struggled the last 2 seasons and deserve to go down, Livi are poor and will be found out next season, kid on club with no real support.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-05-2018, 06:51 PM
https://youtu.be/-9dbAQJIu1o

S4uzee
20-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Is it true Livi are getting a synthetic pitch next season? If so that would be terrible having 3 teams with it

IGRIGI
20-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Get beat by Livi twice and you deserve nothing but relegation.

Blaster
20-05-2018, 07:00 PM
I'd rather Thistle stayed up. Livi are a plastic team with hardly any fans whose only achievements were through financial doping. They're also hammer throwers which Scottish football has too many of.

Completely agree. Thistle were poor over the 2 games and deserved to go down but Livingston add nothing to the top league

B.H.F.C
20-05-2018, 07:03 PM
It was 2 brutal games of football with very little guile and creativity, Thistle have struggled the last 2 seasons and deserve to go down, Livi are poor and will be found out next season, kid on club with no real support.

In the past I’d have agreed with that kind of comment about Livi.

But Hopkin has done an unbelievable job to get them promoted and they’ve not just bought it like they did before. For all they’re a bit industrial they’ve created plenty chances and scored plenty goals in the playoff matches.

Agree that they’ll need a fair bit of investment to just compete in the premiership though.

LustForLeith
20-05-2018, 07:05 PM
I really have no interest in anyone but Hibs and our next opponent.

Not even overly bothered about our next opponent. Just Hibs.

renato
20-05-2018, 07:07 PM
On the positive front, we’ll be able to bring 5 or 6k through to the Tony Mac or whatever the fudge it’s called these days. Dead easy trip through.

GlesgaeHibby
20-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Is it true Livi are getting a synthetic pitch next season? If so that would be terrible having 3 teams with it

Apparently so. May be wrong but I thought killie were going back to grass for next season.

B.H.F.C
20-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Apparently so. May be wrong but I thought killie were going back to grass for next season.

From season 2019/20 I believe.

Carheenlea
20-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Losing a three sided ground from the SPFL and replacing it with an all enclosed neat stadium is no bad thing. If Livingston then decide to lay a plastic pitch then it’s sort of back to square one. Just reduce the league to 10 teams..

mca
20-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Livvi V Hear7s will be an enthralling fixture.

You could get injured just thinking about that game..

BullsCloseHibs
20-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Less travelling to Dingwall and Livy more or less Derby. Win Win.

BullsCloseHibs
20-05-2018, 08:01 PM
On the positive front, we’ll be able to bring 5 or 6k through to the Tony Mac or whatever the fudge it’s called these days. Dead easy trip through.

The most embarrassing named stadium in the world?

CMurdoch
20-05-2018, 08:09 PM

Hearts new striker will be sitting out a lot of games

Cat Stanton
20-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Partick Thistle today learned the hard way that there is no room in football for sentiment.They latterly played a style of football that was not good to watch. They played a containing game a boring brand of football creating little chances and scoring too few goals. Their up and coming young managerial partnership appeared to run out of ideas when the pressure was on and the chips were down. Firhill for thrills what does the future hold for Patrick Thistle?They face a season in a lower division a dog fight with Ross County and Dundee United and possible financial cutbacks in the season ahead.Do we feel sorry for them? No.We have been there and no one felt sorry for us.I would take Kris Doolan though I reckon Lenny could make a decent striker out of him.The vultures will be hovering as Partick Thistle endeavour to make ends meet.Welcome to the real world.

We are left to face a rejuvenated St Mirren and a tough tackling streetwise Livi side that will take no prisoners and set themselves up as hard to beat.

Callum Booth anyone?

GGTTH

Away and sh*te. Got a lot of time for Thistle. Their fans' anti-old firm songs are fun and great, and - these last two awful games apart - generally try and play football. Livingston bring nothing but hoofball and a plastic pitch.

ekhibee
20-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Although over the 2 legs Livingston were definitely better, I do have sympathy for Thistle. They managed to get into the top 6 last season which was a great achievement for them, and this season Alan Archibald hasn't made excuses for them, unlike what a previous poster was saying, Archibald's always said the table doesn't lie. The Championship is a hell of a league to get out of as well, as we all know.

BILLYHIBS
20-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Away and sh*te. Got a lot of time for Thistle. Their fans' anti-old firm songs are fun and great, and - these last two awful games apart - generally try and play football. Livingston bring nothing but hoofball and a plastic pitch.
Aye, ah hear ye! I remember the game in December Cammy Bell fluffed at a corner the Thistle player scored after the original in play shot was over the line and the lines man gave offside. Thistle played very well that day but after that HIBS had learnt their lesson and went up the park and scored twice. Goals change games and I must admit I was hoping Thistle would do what Motherwell did to The Rangers and show their Premeir League class.All credit to Livi. If you cannae beat Livi over two legs you deserve to go down good fans good club or no!

Lago
20-05-2018, 09:45 PM
So Livi in the top league and what do they bring, industrial football and another plastic pitch. Oh joy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-05-2018, 09:58 PM
So Livi in the top league and what do they bring, industrial football and another plastic pitch. Oh joy.

But if Livingston are in the "wrong" league for one season, that is surely not as bad as us being in the "wrong "league for three. Results don't lie.

jacomo
20-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Although over the 2 legs Livingston were definitely better, I do have sympathy for Thistle. They managed to get into the top 6 last season which was a great achievement for them, and this season Alan Archibald hasn't made excuses for them, unlike what a previous poster was saying, Archibald's always said the table doesn't lie. The Championship is a hell of a league to get out of as well, as we all know.

:agree:

Partick at least try to play football, unlike many other teams. It’s been a bad weekend for the smaller west coast clubs, as Celtc hoover up yet more silverware.

Tornadoes70
20-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Who knows how long Partick may be gone for as its an extremely tough league to climb out from. Going to be very competitive again next season with any number of clubs vying for top spot. Wouldn't be sorry to see Partick back among the Premier clubs again soon albeit I'll be hoping Dunfermline win it next season as its not too far to travel and some decent pubs to frequent before and after matches.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Baader
20-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Would much rather have seen Partick stay up than Livi join the top flight. The Harry Wrags blew it and Livi were the better side but always had time for Thistle fans when it would be so much easier growing up in Glasgow to support another club.

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 12:31 AM
It wasn’t that long ago on here we were having the debate about sympathy/no sympathy for Dundee United and their sorry state of affairs although everyone having a go at the Arabs that time seemed to be shot down instantly. I’ve always seen Partick as a team who try to play the right way and while it paid off last season leading to them finishing 6th, failing to win two games in row and build any kind of momentum this season is what I’d say has ultimately cost them. Let’s face it their squad probably isn’t the worst, things just sometimes don’t go for you in football. Hopefully we’ll see them back in the top flight again soon but we all know just how tough that league can be and being honest, I can’t see it happening first time of asking. It’ll be interesting to see what Archibald does next as well. I’ve always thought quite highly of him and expected him to one day move on to bigger things in football though now I’m not so sure. Would I touch any of their players? Nah. I’m not contradicting myself when I said their squads not the shabbiest but for our standards and where we want to be now I don’t see any of them walking into our team.

Eaststandee
21-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Not sure about this. Their supporters support Thistle as they have done for generations like ours. They're not due any medals for it. IMO they are just getting on with supporting a team.

I'd agree with that for any team outside of Glasgow, but I know guys who support the cheeks and they live in the highlands. Being from Glasgow, being surrounded by mouthy huns and welts growing up and seeing the trophies and success they had and have, and still choosing to support Partick Thistle commands a bit of respect IMO.

Sad to see them down, wish it was Hamilton.

TelaStella
21-05-2018, 12:38 AM
I'd agree with that for any team outside of Glasgow, but I know guys who support the cheeks and they live in the highlands. Being from Glasgow, being surrounded by mouthy huns and welts growing up and seeing the trophies and success they had and have, and still choosing to support Partick Thistle commands a bit of respect IMO.

Well said.

JimBHibees
21-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Totally agree feel sorry for the young Thistle kids who will no doubt get reminded more than ever by old firm supporting mates.

Beefster
21-05-2018, 05:53 AM
My biggest regret about Ross County and Partick Thistle going down is that none of them are Hamilton.

LustForLeith
21-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Brilliant achievement from Livi.

I was at a game when they were sliding down the Championship. They’d lost to Morton and people connected to the club were saying if they went down they may well have been finished.

They got relegated, lost a few players but managed to get promoted notnince but twice. So much for being finished!

Also done it on a relatively small budget from what I hear. Davie Hopkin might not be the most charismatic manager but I’ wouldn’t swap him for any of the other ones who struggled to get it the Championship this season.

Well done Livi.

.Sean.
21-05-2018, 08:56 AM
A top flight with Hamilton and Livingston is a sad sight.

IAmLee
21-05-2018, 09:19 AM

They didn't struggle last season, they made the top 6! I like Thistle and it was the closest away day to my house but I've got to admit I feel a bit smug giving it back to my Thistle fan pals who dished it out when we went down........

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Anybody who supports Partick Thistle is worthy of respect, hell we moan about Edinburgh glory hunters and the Ugly sisters 'only' being 40 miles up the motorway .... how bad is it for Thistle then?

Livvi deserve to be in the top flight, back to back promotions is some achievement ..... but if the image of Scottish football matters to you and the chances of selling it to a wider audience, then another team who play industrial hoofball with a tiny following and yet another plastic pitch will do our league absolutely no favours whatsoever ..... their only saving grace is a decent stadium albeit with a silly name.

Its another reason why our league needs to expand to 16 teams .... that leaves room for the Hamiltons and Livvis but allows room for clubs like Dunfermline and Dundee Utd with potentially decent home and away supports to breath.

Sylar
21-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Delighted for Livingston and their fans. They've been utterly raped by previous owners and they've reached the Premiership doing things the right way this time around.

They were never expected to do anything other than survive in the Championship this year, and instead, built a resolute group of players that just keep finding a way to win against the odds.

Bear in mind that they just beat Dundee United AND Partick Thistle with their 2 main strikers from the season sidelined with serious injuries.

People can call them a "plastic" team, and belittle them all they like, but it's a hardcore group of supporters that have followed them since they relocated out to West Lothian. Some of the same faces you'll see at Almondvale (nobody calls it the Tony Macaroni arena) were there during the 1995 season. Sure, their success of old were bought using non-existant money, and they've paid the price twice (and continue to do so, as there are a lot of fans that remain bitter - particularly those that were in business with the old regimes). But now, there's a team in place that's built using a lot of players they've developed, a board that have achieved what they have with the smallest budget in the league, and an approach to running the club the right way.

The attendance snobbery and attacking the lack of fans is absolutely yammish.

Hibs1969
21-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Unlike the OP I do have sympathy for Thistle. They’re a well run club fighting to survive in the face of constant competition from the 2 ugly sisters and whilst they’ve undoubtedly been poor this season, it’s a shame to see them fall out of this division. We know only too well how tough the Championship can be, and with Dundee Utd, ICT, Ross County, Dunfermline and Falkirk in there next season it’ll be a hell of a dog fight getting out of there at the first time of asking.

My first ever Hibs game was at home to Thistle (we lost 2-1) so I’ve always had a soft spot for them.

snooky
21-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Unlike the OP I do have sympathy for Thistle. They’re a well run club fighting to survive in the face of constant competition from the 2 ugly sisters and whilst they’ve undoubtedly been poor this season, it’s a shame to see them fall out of this division. We know only too well how tough the Championship can be, and with Dundee Utd, ICT, Ross County, Dunfermline and Falkirk in there next season it’ll be a hell of a dog fight getting out of there at the first time of asking.

My first ever Hibs game was at home to Thistle (we lost 2-1) so I’ve always had a soft spot for them.

Me too. A rellie played for them one time and also because they are the sweet little Cinderella between the Uglies.

The Harp Awakes
21-05-2018, 12:14 PM

I don't have any great affinity for Thistle but would rather have seen them stay in the league rather than Livingston coming up. It just means another anti-football club in the league, with tiny crowds and a plastic pitch, like Hamilton. Great for them but not great for Scottish football.

Jones28
21-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Well said

kaimendhibs
21-05-2018, 03:58 PM
I'd rather Thistle stayed up. Livi are a plastic team with hardly any fans whose only achievements were through financial doping. They're also hammer throwers which Scottish football has too many of.Agree 100 per cent

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

marinello59
21-05-2018, 05:26 PM
A top flight with Hamilton and Livingston is a sad sight.

A second tier with us in it was a much sadder sight than a top division with two teams who have earned the right to be there.

.Sean.
21-05-2018, 05:29 PM
A second tier with us in it was a much sadder sight than a top division with two teams who have earned the right to be there.
Not disputing that but one tinpot club with a plastic pitch and zero fans was already one too much.

keep the faith
21-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Not disputing that but one tinpot club with a plastic pitch and zero fans was already one too much.

Correct. There is zero fanbase at livi and the empty stadium every two weeks looks terrible for Scottish football. Another plastic pitch just makes it worse.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Correct. There is zero fanbase at livi and the empty stadium every two weeks looks terrible for Scottish football. Another plastic pitch just makes it worse.

As opposed to the Patrick’s empty stadium with a big hill behind one of the goals. Crap either way IMO.

Agree about the plastic pitch though, they’re murder.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Delighted for Livingston and their fans. They've been utterly raped by previous owners and they've reached the Premiership doing things the right way this time around.

They were never expected to do anything other than survive in the Championship this year, and instead, built a resolute group of players that just keep finding a way to win against the odds.

Bear in mind that they just beat Dundee United AND Partick Thistle with their 2 main strikers from the season sidelined with serious injuries.

People can call them a "plastic" team, and belittle them all they like, but it's a hardcore group of supporters that have followed them since they relocated out to West Lothian. Some of the same faces you'll see at Almondvale (nobody calls it the Tony Macaroni arena) were there during the 1995 season. Sure, their success of old were bought using non-existant money, and they've paid the price twice (and continue to do so, as there are a lot of fans that remain bitter - particularly those that were in business with the old regimes). But now, there's a team in place that's built using a lot of players they've developed, a board that have achieved what they have with the smallest budget in the league, and an approach to running the club the right way.

The attendance snobbery and attacking the lack of fans is absolutely yammish.

I don't think that's fair to be honest .... I would say that most folk in our support are of the opinion that if a club gets to the premiership on merit, as Livingstone have done, then they deserve to be there. Any thread on the subject will also show that as a group we tend to have a lot of respect for the folk who follow the likes of Hamilton and Livvi, for obvious reasons.

That doesn't mean to say there isn't a discussion to be had about how good or bad their presence is to the image of our top division and their contribution to the experience of watching it.

One of the biggest complaints about a lack of atmosphere at ER during out time in the championship was the meagre away supports a lot of the clubs brought, giving our support nothing to bounce off of, the addition to the league of another team like that doesn't improve that situation in the top league. They are also another club planning to play home games on a plastic pitch, I don't care what anybody says, plastic pitches are for small community clubs who know they will never get near the top league, they do not add to the image of the premier league as a league for the best clubs in the country ... top flight football should be played on grass, not plastic, unless you are based in a country where the stuff doesn't grow very well.

They are also another club who clearly value effort, endeavour and 'direct' football over trying to play the game on the deck ... as our games against Hamilton, Hearts and to a lesser extent Motherwell have shown games against teams with that style are to be endured, not enjoyed. I have nothing against clubs who quite rightly play to what the see as their strengths, it does not mean to say I have to be a fan of it and I doubt many other folk are either.

If you are trying to sell your leagues TV rights one of the things that adds to the attraction for TV audiences and therefor TV companies is to see the games played in front of an at least reasonable sized crowd ... if the locals don't appear to care about the games why the hell should a TV audience? who will be far more drawn to what they see as big time football, even a rubbish game can look slightly interesting played in front of 20,000 people.

The games at Livvi will be OK when the Ugly sisters and Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen come calling .... what the hell will the crowds be like when Hamilton or St Johnstone are the visitors? it will look like there's nobody there and that just cant be good for our games image.

That isn't snobbery, its facing up to facts and the problem having teams like Livvi and Hamilton present to the image of our game, which like it or not is a product we are trying like mental to sell for as much money as we can get.

Sylar
22-05-2018, 08:56 AM
I don't think that's fair to be honest .... I would say that most folk in our support are of the opinion that if a club gets to the premiership on merit, as Livingstone have done, then they deserve to be there. Any thread on the subject will also show that as a group we tend to have a lot of respect for the folk who follow the likes of Hamilton and Livvi, for obvious reasons.

That doesn't mean to say there isn't a discussion to be had about how good or bad their presence is to the image of our top division and their contribution to the experience of watching it.

That isn't snobbery, its facing up to facts and the problem having teams like Livvi and Hamilton present to the image of our game, which like it or not is a product we are trying like mental to sell for as much money as we can get.

I can't agree I'm afraid. Geography and history have Livingston(-e) where they are in terms of fanbase. Look at where they are, right in the heart of Scotland - established in 1995 - where most people already had their pre-existing allegiances. Half of Livingston get on a bus through to Glasgow every week, the other half head to Edinburgh. Bear in mind that the sparsity of the stadium is partially the fault of the SPL, who mandated that Livingston had to have a 10k capacity stadium to get into the Premiership first time around - Livingston were never going to attract those numbers, aside from when the Ugly Sisters came to town. Add to all of that the years of financial impropriety that drove a large portion of the fans away, because it became bloody exhausting, and it's not hard to see why they don't play to a packed out stadium every week. Having said that, they DID take 2000 people to Fir Hill on Sunday - the support is there - the challenge is retention and building. I find the criticism pious in the extreme - it wasn't so long, when the football was garbage, that attendances at ER weren't exactly fabulous, and many on here got irked by Hearts fans poking fun on a weekly basis. A club that's been in existence since 1875 and play in the capital city are always going to have a higher baseline than a club like Livingston, but to ignore factors that impact attendance quite so much is poor IMO. I agree with you, it doesn't look great on the TV, but then neither does Celtc playing in a half-empty Parkhead on a weekly basis.

One of the biggest complaints about a lack of atmosphere at ER during out time in the championship was the meagre away supports a lot of the clubs brought, giving our support nothing to bounce off of, the addition to the league of another team like that doesn't improve that situation in the top league. They are also another club planning to play home games on a plastic pitch, I don't care what anybody says, plastic pitches are for small community clubs who know they will never get near the top league, they do not add to the image of the premier league as a league for the best clubs in the country ... top flight football should be played on grass, not plastic, unless you are based in a country where the stuff doesn't grow very well.

We agree on the plastic pitch thing - they look awful, and don't play well. I understand their thinking though, as they lost a LOT of games to the weather last year. I'm aware these pitches aren't immune to postponements, but it took 4 efforts to replay a Saturday league game vs ICT. My understanding is that it's a hybrid pitch Livingston are considering though, not just an astro surface like Hamilton or Kilmarnock.

They are also another club who clearly value effort, endeavour and 'direct' football over trying to play the game on the deck ... as our games against Hamilton, Hearts and to a lesser extent Motherwell have shown games against teams with that style are to be endured, not enjoyed. I have nothing against clubs who quite rightly play to what the see as their strengths, it does not mean to say I have to be a fan of it and I doubt many other folk are either.

I mean no disrespect with this question, but can I assume all you've seen of Livingston this year is the 2 playoff games? My dad is a ST holder at Almondvale, and I've been to quite a few games with him this season, and up until they lost their 2 key strikers (who can't play the physical game that Miller does), they moved the ball around the park very well indeed. The football in the playoffs was brutal, but with 15 fully fit players, they did what they had to do.

If you are trying to sell your leagues TV rights one of the things that adds to the attraction for TV audiences and therefor TV companies is to see the games played in front of an at least reasonable sized crowd ... if the locals don't appear to care about the games why the hell should a TV audience? who will be far more drawn to what they see as big time football, even a rubbish game can look slightly interesting played in front of 20,000 people.

The games at Livvi will be OK when the Ugly sisters and Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen come calling .... what the hell will the crowds be like when Hamilton or St Johnstone are the visitors? it will look like there's nobody there and that just cant be good for our games image.

You really think Livingston vs Hamilton or Livingston vs St Johnstone are likely to be the types of games that will get onto the TV? The only time Livingston will be televised is when they're playing against the likes of Celtc, Sevco, Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen. I agree with you, that a stadium with the smaller clubs playing each other would look dreadful on TV. But the TV companies know that, and it simply won't happen.

TheHarpy76
22-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Personally I don’t have sympathy for any team that get relegated.
Including us.

NAE NOOKIE
22-05-2018, 11:42 AM
I can't agree I'm afraid. Geography and history have Livingston(-e) where they are in terms of fanbase. Look at where they are, right in the heart of Scotland - established in 1995 - where most people already had their pre-existing allegiances. Half of Livingston get on a bus through to Glasgow every week, the other half head to Edinburgh. Bear in mind that the sparsity of the stadium is partially the fault of the SPL, who mandated that Livingston had to have a 10k capacity stadium to get into the Premiership first time around - Livingston were never going to attract those numbers, aside from when the Ugly Sisters came to town. Add to all of that the years of financial impropriety that drove a large portion of the fans away, because it became bloody exhausting, and it's not hard to see why they don't play to a packed out stadium every week. Having said that, they DID take 2000 people to Fir Hill on Sunday - the support is there - the challenge is retention and building. I find the criticism pious in the extreme - it wasn't so long, when the football was garbage, that attendances at ER weren't exactly fabulous, and many on here got irked by Hearts fans poking fun on a weekly basis. A club that's been in existence since 1875 and play in the capital city are always going to have a higher baseline than a club like Livingston, but to ignore factors that impact attendance quite so much is poor IMO. I agree with you, it doesn't look great on the TV, but then neither does Celtc playing in a half-empty Parkhead on a weekly basis.

We agree on the plastic pitch thing - they look awful, and don't play well. I understand their thinking though, as they lost a LOT of games to the weather last year. I'm aware these pitches aren't immune to postponements, but it took 4 efforts to replay a Saturday league game vs ICT. My understanding is that it's a hybrid pitch Livingston are considering though, not just an astro surface like Hamilton or Kilmarnock.

I mean no disrespect with this question, but can I assume all you've seen of Livingston this year is the 2 playoff games? My dad is a ST holder at Almondvale, and I've been to quite a few games with him this season, and up until they lost their 2 key strikers (who can't play the physical game that Miller does), they moved the ball around the park very well indeed. The football in the playoffs was brutal, but with 15 fully fit players, they did what they had to do.

You really think Livingston vs Hamilton or Livingston vs St Johnstone are likely to be the types of games that will get onto the TV? The only time Livingston will be televised is when they're playing against the likes of Celtc, Sevco, Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen. I agree with you, that a stadium with the smaller clubs playing each other would look dreadful on TV. But the TV companies know that, and it simply won't happen.

I'm aware of Livingston's history and well aware of the reasons for their small support. I wasn't being critical of them for not being able to attract big crowds and I have never 'poked fun' at any club who don't attract big crowds, its a fact of football life in Scotland .... I was only addressing the reality of the fact that they don't and what that brings ( or doesn't bring ) to the top flight.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of how they play normally ... I hope you are right.

As I said in my posts ... there are two sides to the discussion, you have the sporting side where without doubt nobody can question a clubs right to play at the highest level, just as we had no right to complain about being in the championship for 3 seasons ... do it on the pitch and get the rewards, don't and suffer the consequences should always be the only thing that matters .... the 1,500 folk who follow Livvi or Hamilton regularly have just as much right to have their devotion rewarded as the 9,000 or so who will rock up at Easter Road no matter what.

The other side is the games image where clubs with two & three sided grounds, artificial pitches, meagre crowds and to a lesser extent unimaginative football do little to promote the game as a spectacle, which is what you are hoping to present it as to prospective audiences. I'm the first to admit that I have a bit of OCD when it comes to this kind of thing, to the point where seeing weeds growing on a terracing behind someone taking a corner or practice goals stacked on an empty terrace during a game in full view of the TV cameras does my bloody head in, just because you don't play in the Maracanã doesn't mean to say you should neglect small things which will show your club in a better light .... there are quite a few clubs out there who seem to think not having the money to build new stands means you shouldn't pull up a few weeds and buy a tin of paint either.

My mate ( a Jambo ) posted pictures of the stairs and exterior of Dens park two seasons ago and the place was a bloody disgrace .. the only things missing were an old mattress and a couple of discarded fridges. Even the Hibs calendar does my head in every year, surely the backdrop to the picture of your professional soccer heroes should be the crowd ( not a problem at ER these days ) not some bland green sheet or rows of empty seats .... image, image, image ... it matters and its something the SFA, SPFL and too many clubs ignore.

Sorry about the tangent :greengrin

Stranraer
22-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Agree with this completely - good on the folk who go and watch Thistle instead of the old firm. That being said they were horrendous to watch and Callum Booth would be more than welcome back at Hibs in my view,

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm aware of Livingston's history and well aware of the reasons for their small support. I wasn't being critical of them for not being able to attract big crowds and I have never 'poked fun' at any club who don't attract big crowds, its a fact of football life in Scotland .... I was only addressing the reality of the fact that they don't and what that brings ( or doesn't bring ) to the top flight.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of how they play normally ... I hope you are right.

As I said in my posts ... there are two sides to the discussion, you have the sporting side where without doubt nobody can question a clubs right to play at the highest level, just as we had no right to complain about being in the championship for 3 seasons ... do it on the pitch and get the rewards, don't and suffer the consequences should always be the only thing that matters .... the 1,500 folk who follow Livvi or Hamilton regularly have just as much right to have their devotion rewarded as the 9,000 or so who will rock up at Easter Road no matter what.

The other side is the games image where clubs with two & three sided grounds, artificial pitches, meagre crowds and to a lesser extent unimaginative football do little to promote the game as a spectacle, which is what you are hoping to present it as to prospective audiences. I'm the first to admit that I have a bit of OCD when it comes to this kind of thing, to the point where seeing weeds growing on a terracing behind someone taking a corner or practice goals stacked on an empty terrace during a game in full view of the TV cameras does my bloody head in, just because you don't play in the Maracanã doesn't mean to say you should neglect small things which will show your club in a better light .... there are quite a few clubs out there who seem to think not having the money to build new stands means you shouldn't pull up a few weeds and buy a tin of paint either.

My mate ( a Jambo ) posted pictures of the stairs and exterior of Dens park two seasons ago and the place was a bloody disgrace .. the only things missing were an old mattress and a couple of discarded fridges. Even the Hibs calendar does my head in every year, surely the backdrop to the picture of your professional soccer heroes should be the crowd ( not a problem at ER these days ) not some bland green sheet or rows of empty seats .... image, image, image ... it matters and its something the SFA, SPFL and too many clubs ignore.

Sorry about the tangent :greengrin
HIBS calender does ma heid in get to about June and our pinup heroes for one reason or another have left. I suppose it is something that cannot be helped and would like to think that our squad retention is better than at most clubs.

NAE NOOKIE
22-05-2018, 12:22 PM
HIBS calender does ma heid in get to about June and our pinup heroes for one reason or another have left. I suppose it is something that cannot be helped and would like to think that our squad retention is better than at most clubs.

Yeh ... Anthony Stokes and Simon Murray are May this year :greengrin ... mind you, ones a legend and the other is still our player.

I get that its impossible to have crowd shots with some players ... but that's not the case with the likes of Hanlon, Stevenson, McGregor and the like and I just don't get why they don't do it.

Jones28
22-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Personally I don’t have sympathy for any team that get relegated.
Including us.

A team that gets promoted deserves to be there, especially one who wins multiple play-off games to gwet there.

Borderhibbie76
23-05-2018, 06:38 AM
Correct. There is zero fanbase at livi and the empty stadium every two weeks looks terrible for Scottish football. Another plastic pitch just makes it worse.They had decent attendances at both play off matches against United and thistle...and they filled almost the entire away stand at Firhill...nowt to suggest they won't get those types of crowds in prem next season. Other than the plastic pitch don't get the snobbery on here...they deserve to be where they are

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

keep the faith
23-05-2018, 07:10 AM
They had decent attendances at both play off matches against United and thistle...and they filled almost the entire away stand at Firhill...nowt to suggest they won't get those types of crowds in prem next season. Other than the plastic pitch don't get the snobbery on here...they deserve to be where they are

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Your basing their fanbase on play off finals. Not realistic. Get ready to see more games in our top league where you can hear the players shouting for the ball.
They came up the hard way and for that reason the team deserve to be here. However my own personal view is that the club offer little to the top flight.

Hamish
30-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Callum Booth signs for Dundee Utd.

PatHead
30-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Are they becoming a wannabe Hibs? Stanton, Fyvie, Keatings and now Booth.

CMurdoch
30-05-2018, 05:55 PM

Looks like they are getting a decent team together.
Sadly for them they lost Fraser at the end of his contract but a fit Fyvie and Keatings will improve their chances.
They have also lost a whole host of old duffers: Fudd, McDonald etc so all good.

Stuart93
30-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Looks like they are getting a decent team together.
Sadly for them they lost Fraser at the end of his contract but a fit Fyvie and Keatings will improve their chances.
They have also lost a whole host of old duffers: Fudd, McDonald etc so all good.

A decent team at championship level anyway

PatHead
30-05-2018, 06:03 PM
A decent team at championship level anyway

Their centre backs were awful. Need them replaced.

BlackSheep
30-05-2018, 06:11 PM

Well they were Dundee Hibernian 😂😂😂

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 06:43 PM
No sympathy for Dundee United either.

They celebrated like they had just won the league when they beat us at Christmas at Tannadice the last season we were down there. Big mistake!

:flag: