PDA

View Full Version : Pre season friendlies

Billy Whizz
20-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Now that Europe has been confirmed, Hibs can now get on with the planning and releasing of their pre season friendlies list!
Paul Hanlon’s testimonial confirmed as Sunday 8th July, so an excellent time, just before the 1st European game

Anyone heard anything on any other games? In the past we’ve played quite a few games at Berwick and Dunfermline early on
Any idea when the players are back in?

LancsHibs
20-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Fleetwood please, I could walk to the game😁

we are hibs
20-05-2018, 12:26 PM
We will no doubt have Berwick Rangers away at some stage. Maybe Dunfermline too. Would love for the club to play a couple of games in Ireland one year.

villager
20-05-2018, 12:33 PM
a pre season trip to kirkaldy/dunfermline has been a regular feature the last few years.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Someone mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago, that there might be a game against Accrington Stanley.

There's the obvious connection with John Doolan. :dunno:

Scorrie
20-05-2018, 12:37 PM

I could get a boat from Liverpool!

LancsHibs
20-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Someone mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago, that there might be a game against Accrington Stanley.

That would be great, a trip to the crown ground, smashing!

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-05-2018, 01:01 PM
That would be great, a trip to the crown ground, smashing!

Surely you mean the Interexpress Delivery CheckaPaints Stadium

Billy Whizz
20-05-2018, 01:28 PM

Home or away?

Humo
20-05-2018, 01:29 PM
I'd really like the idea of hibs hosting a pre season tournament. I think it would be great playing some Irish, English or European teams playing at 3pm on a Saturday at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
20-05-2018, 02:41 PM
I'd really like the idea of hibs hosting a pre season tournament. I think it would be great playing some Irish, English or European teams playing at 3pm on a Saturday at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pitch would be a bit crowded.

Got in first :greengrin

Lancs Harp
20-05-2018, 03:06 PM

I couldnt exactly walk there but I'd settle for Fleetwood away as well. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Linfield if we don't get them in Europe.

Bristolhibby
20-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Who are they?

J

Billy Whizz
20-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Who are they?

J

Think they are a team made famous by Soccer am

LustForLeith
20-05-2018, 03:17 PM

If we go and play Linfield is there any Irish bars near the ground?

LancsHibs
20-05-2018, 03:18 PM
I couldnt exactly walk there but I'd settle for Fleetwood away as well. :wink:

You could if you got up early enough😁

Iggy Pope
20-05-2018, 03:20 PM
If we go and play Linfield is there any Irish bars near the ground?

Dunno, but if we don't get Linfield I'll not be going.

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 03:25 PM

I've been there, great little ground, The away is an open terrace :greengrin. Decent pub right outside the ground.

Lancs Harp
20-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Stanley are currently building a new stand, down the side of the pitch. Previously it was a corrugated iron affair that was about 4 steps deep with seats bolted in there.

Anywhere in Northern England would suit me from a purely selfish POV.

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 03:28 PM

I hope we don't play them, Glentoran away was bad enough, even the the kerb stones and lamp posts are red white and blue! East Belfast is stuck in the 1970's.

I would like Connah''s Quay Nomads in the Europa league, easy to get to and we would have a large travelling support heading down there.

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Stanley are currently building a new stand, down the side of the pitch. Previously it was a corrugated iron affair that was about 4 steps deep with seats bolted in there.

Anywhere in Northern England would suit me from a purely selfish POV.

All seated or a terrace?

Lancs Harp
20-05-2018, 03:31 PM
All seated or a terrace?

I think its seating for just over 1000

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Accrington stanley are playing a friendly vs Blackburn Rovers on the 28th of July.

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 03:32 PM
I think its seating for just over 1000

Boooooooo.

stantonhibby
20-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Was at the Fleetwood v MK Dons game a few months ago....good wee set up with the supporters bar at the ground.

Cod Boy
20-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Was at the Fleetwood v MK Dons game a few months ago....good wee set up with the supporters bar at the ground.

I was at that game as well.

Bristolhibby
20-05-2018, 03:44 PM
I’ve said it a hundred times.

Needs to be a West Country tour.

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Swindon Town
Bath City
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town
Forrest Green Rovers
Exeter City

J

Lancs Harp
20-05-2018, 03:55 PM
I’ve said it a hundred times.

Needs to be a West Country tour.

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Swindon Town
Bath City
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town
Forrest Green Rovers
Exeter City

J

Reads a bit like a cider tour that BH, could be dangerous.:greengrin

LustForLeith
20-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Really hope we play Stanley so I can wear my ‘Don’t Worry. Be Accy’ T-Shirt

Iggy Pope
20-05-2018, 05:47 PM
I hope we don't play them, Glentoran away was bad enough, even the the kerb stones and lamp posts are red white and blue! East Belfast is stuck in the 1970's.

I would like Connah''s Quay Nomads in the Europa league, easy to get to and we would have a large travelling support heading down there.

Wouldn't stop me going back. I was attempting irony about Linfield. The Glentoran game, we chanced into the Shorts social club where we had to bow before Her Maj, smiling, beguiling. Swift half and outside to see the other local across the road (The Eastern?) was populated by Hun doormen looking to kick heads in. Couldn't wait to get back to the town centre which is a great place to be where even the NI Supporters Social Club has a Hibby framed on the wall. It is George Best mind.

Hermit Crab
20-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Wouldn't stop me going back. I was attempting irony about Linfield. The Glentoran game, we chanced into the Shorts social club where we had to bow before Her Maj, smiling, beguiling. Swift half and outside to see the other local across the road (The Eastern?) was populated by Hun doormen looking to kick heads in. Couldn't wait to get back to the town centre which is a great place to be where even the NI Supporters Social Club has a Hibby framed on the wall. It is George Best mind.

I just remember walking through the cage to get into the away end, then stepping onto a terrace (no complaints there) that still had the high perimeter fence at the front! Then trying to swap a scarf with a local was challenging to say the least! :greengrin Good trip though.

Iggy Pope
20-05-2018, 06:21 PM
I just remember walking through the cage to get into the away end, then stepping onto a terrace (no complaints there) that still had the high perimeter fence at the front! Then trying to swap a scarf with a local was challenging to say the least! :greengrin Good trip though.

The good thing about the cage was it kept missiles from above off your head! Mind you, Millwall is a bit like that.
Enjoyed the ground itself. **** swapping scarves but did get a nice wee half Hibs / Glens badge off the boy selling stuff at the back of the terracing.
We got a taxi in to the game from the town centre and the boy would only take us so far, telling us he couldn't go too far into the east side.....
I've visited Belfast and surrounding a few times now and nothing surprises me. It's a fascinating place though and a big part of British (and Irish) culture, like it or not.

Ryan69
20-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Really hope we play Stanley so I can wear my ‘Don’t Worry. Be Accy’ T-Shirt

Maybe the could rearrange and have Bristol Rovers,City...or Cardiff. 😀

hibbyfraelibby
21-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Oh for crying out loud when will the penny finally drop...Linfield FAILED to qualify for Europe.

CropleyWasGod
21-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Oh for crying out loud when will the penny finally drop...Linfield FAILED to qualify for Europe.

Are you sure?

:confused:

Hermit Crab
21-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Are you sure?

:confused:

He's correct, they failed to qualify for Europe for the first time in 15 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44062281

CropleyWasGod
21-05-2018, 02:23 PM

He's correct, they failed to qualify for Europe for the first time in 15 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44062281

And there was me thinking he'd been whooshed.

:greengrin

Lago
21-05-2018, 03:23 PM
a pre season trip to kirkaldy/dunfermline has been a regular feature the last few years.
That would do for me:greengrin

weecounty hibby
21-05-2018, 03:43 PM
I used to see a young Welsh girl from Connah's Quay, used to get on my motorbike on a Friday and come back on a Sunday. CQ was a bit rough back then and I've no reason to think it would have changed much. Would be good to draw them and go down and it would certainly be a trip down memory lane. Probably be like getting a by as well

hibbyfraelibby
21-05-2018, 04:07 PM
And there was me thinking he'd been whooshed.

:greengrin

I am permenantly whoooooshed Crops

Daydreamer
21-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Think after the Betfred Cup draw on Friday we might have a better idea about Pre season fixtures remembering that every team will have a free fixture out of the five dates. Take it we will be going to Berwick on their free fixture. Hopefully on a Saturday or Sunday after the Europa Cup. Brown Bear beckons .

KdyHby
21-05-2018, 09:47 PM
That would do for me:greengrin

Here too:thumbsup:

majorhibs
21-05-2018, 10:44 PM

NI supporters club is also zombies supporters club, with pictures of George Best in amongst the extinct club lineups all around, was working in shipyard Belfast season in 1st division when we couldn’t stop beating them, as you’ll know normal pubs in Belfast won’t show Scottish games, but NI Club being a club is an exception, was in there the night we beat them 2-1 few years back, mind them all going radio rental, running up to TV & hurling abuse & giving it the “I hate you B’s etc etc”, fine it was winter & everybody well wrapped so my numerous Hibs Tatts naewhere to be seen, have to say I’ve been a few dubious places on a few continents, & not been unduly concerned, but that is one place I’ve worked I will admit I had a few uncomfortable nights. One place you def have to make sure you are in the correct time & place & saying the correct things.

majorhibs
21-05-2018, 10:50 PM

NI supporters club is also zombies supporters club, with pictures of George Best in amongst the extinct club lineups all around, was working in shipyard Belfast season in 1st division when we couldn’t stop beating them, as you’ll know normal pubs in Belfast won’t show Scottish games, but NI Club being a club is an exception, was in there the night we beat them 2-1 few years back, mind them all going radio rental, running up to TV & hurling abuse & giving it the “I hate you B’s etc etc”, fine it was winter & everybody well wrapped so my numerous Hibs Tatts naewhere to be seen, have to say I’ve been a few dubious places on a few continents, & not been unduly concerned, but that is one place I’ve worked I will admit I had a few uncomfortable nights. One place you def have to make sure you are in the correct time & place & saying the correct things.

SteveHFC
22-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Linlithgow Rose on the 30th of June.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Linlithgow Rose on the 30th of June.

Is that definite or just you speculating?

SteveHFC
22-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Is that definite or just you speculating?

Linlithgow fan posted it on pie and bovril. :aok:

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Linlithgow fan posted it on pie and bovril. :aok:

Ok, not a thing on their website at the moment. That would probably be a Hibs XI imo.

monktonharp
22-05-2018, 12:18 AM
Linlithgow Rose on the 30th of June.give us a break, you being serious? is it the ladies team/ much rather we did Bristol(either) , Cheltenham or any near Glousc, or near the forest of dean area . personal point of view mind as my son is down in South East Wales.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 12:43 AM
give us a break, you being serious? is it the ladies team/ much rather we did Bristol(either) , Cheltenham or any near Glousc, or near the forest of dean area . personal point of view mind as my son is down in South East Wales.

Connah's Quay in the Europa league any good? :greengrin

Haymaker
22-05-2018, 12:51 AM
NYRB and Philly Union. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
22-05-2018, 01:44 AM
Miss the old days when friendlies were planned for mayhem; Millwall, Chelsea, Cardiff, Leeds etc.

AZhibee
22-05-2018, 02:40 AM
Away to LA Galaxy, just once, all I ask😃.

Haymaker
22-05-2018, 02:47 AM
Away to LA Galaxy, just once, all I ask😃.

All staying at Greenlakes place? :greengrin

AZhibee
22-05-2018, 03:22 AM
All staying at Greenlakes place? :greengrin

Pre-game party😵

offshorehibby
22-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Hibs to remain at home for Europa League preparations

Hibs will prepare for their Europa League adventure at their East Mains training base rather than travel abroad, the Evening News has learned. Neil Lennon’s players will kick off their season in the first qualifying round of the competition – the first leg being on July 12 – and will discover their opponents when the draw is made in Nyon on June 19, a few days after they report back to work. The Easter Road club qualified thanks to Celtic winning the Scottish Cup, their fourth-place finish in the Premiership proving to be good enough, but their pre-season plans had always centred on a “staycation” rather than venturing further afield – the routine they followed last summer before they returned to the top flight after a three-year absence. With their £5 million centre on the outskirts of Ormiston at their disposal and Scotland enjoying, hopefully, the best weather of the year at that time club officials see little point in going to the expense of travelling abroad only to enjoy similar facilities. The shortness of the close-season has also been another factor with the Betfred Cup group stages kicking off on July 14 although Hibs will now not enter that competition until August 18.

Any trip would, they say, eat into what is a vital period with three days on the training ground likely to be lost – two in travelling to and from any intended destination while another would probably be needed to in give the players a “recovery” day on their return. Instead, Hibs will probably aim to finance some warm-weather training during the Premiership’s winter shutdown. A schedule of friendlies to bring Lennon’s players up to speed is also in the process of being organised with the visit of Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn Rovers, newly promoted to the English Championship, for Paul Hanlon’s Testimonial Match on Saturday, July 8, offering a final chance to fine-tune the squad ahead of that European tie.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Hibs will prepare for their Europa League adventure at their East Mains training base rather than travel abroad, the Evening News has learned. Neil Lennon’s players will kick off their season in the first qualifying round of the competition – the first leg being on July 12 – and will discover their opponents when the draw is made in Nyon on June 19, a few days after they report back to work. The Easter Road club qualified thanks to Celtic winning the Scottish Cup, their fourth-place finish in the Premiership proving to be good enough, but their pre-season plans had always centred on a “staycation” rather than venturing further afield – the routine they followed last summer before they returned to the top flight after a three-year absence. With their £5 million centre on the outskirts of Ormiston at their disposal and Scotland enjoying, hopefully, the best weather of the year at that time club officials see little point in going to the expense of travelling abroad only to enjoy similar facilities. The shortness of the close-season has also been another factor with the Betfred Cup group stages kicking off on July 14 although Hibs will now not enter that competition until August 18.

Any trip would, they say, eat into what is a vital period with three days on the training ground likely to be lost – two in travelling to and from any intended destination while another would probably be needed to in give the players a “recovery” day on their return. Instead, Hibs will probably aim to finance some warm-weather training during the Premiership’s winter shutdown. A schedule of friendlies to bring Lennon’s players up to speed is also in the process of being organised with the visit of Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn Rovers, newly promoted to the English Championship, for Paul Hanlon’s Testimonial Match on Saturday, July 8, offering a final chance to fine-tune the squad ahead of that European tie.

Fine by me, not going on a needless trip abroad to a training camp that would otherwise eat into the player budget. We have everything we need at EM.

we are hibs
22-05-2018, 08:12 AM

Good. Almost every time we have been abroad we have came back and lost a big game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Now you come to mention it I think I might have read that somewhere. :-)

Onceinawhile
22-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Linlithgow Rose away on the 30th of June :thumbsup:

KdyHby
22-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Time for claims on 18 points back of our financial demise :wink:

BullsCloseHibs
22-05-2018, 10:03 AM

It was a breeze for Celtic fans :agree:

Dashing Bob S
22-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Thank you for cutting and pasting instead of forcing me open the link on the abominable Scotsman publications

LichtieHibby
22-05-2018, 10:45 AM

... for Paul Hanlon’s Testimonial Match on Saturday, July 8 ...

Or ...

linlithgowhibbie
22-05-2018, 12:36 PM
give us a break, you being serious? is it the ladies team/ much rather we did Bristol(either) , Cheltenham or any near Glousc, or near the forest of dean area . personal point of view mind as my son is down in South East Wales.

Oi you,,,,, Nowt wrong with Linlithgow for a pre season friendly!

Will probably be the under 20s that we send through tho.

Phil MaGlass
22-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Thank fu.. I think its also weird. Why would we want to go abroad when we have some of the best facilities in Scotland. Defeats the purpose.

Diclonius
22-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Away to Stenhousemuir, Falkirk, East Stirlingshire, Stirling or Alloa would be great.

Onceinawhile
22-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Oi you,,,,, Nowt wrong with Linlithgow for a pre season friendly!

Will probably be the under 20s that we send through tho.

The Rose have said on Facebook that it's at Hibs request so will be a full team. :aok::aok:

Daydreamer
22-05-2018, 12:59 PM
The Rose have said on Facebook that it's at Hibs request so will be a full team. :aok::aok:

Slight twist here as if Linlithgow stay junior they are not permitted to play before 1st of July (old junior rules unless testimonial) but now they have meeting early June to discuss if they will move to East of Scotland league which will mean a step forward for them. Should be a big crowd there.

Stranraer
22-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Stranraer used to do a "Stena Cup" pre season tournament with N. Irish teams and St. Mirren's young team it was really good fun.

Hermit Crab
22-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Hibernian will face Linlithgow Rose, Berwick Rangers and Blackburn Rovers this pre-season.
The first match for Neil Lennon’s side will be against Junior outfit Linlithgow Rose at Prestonfield on Saturday 30 June at 3pm. The SJFA East Superleague team finished second in their division last season and have won the Junior Cup four times.
Entry to the game will be £6 for adults and £3 for concessions, with full matchday arrangements to be announced in due course.
On Wednesday 4 July Hibernian will make the short journey over the border to face Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park in our second match of pre-season, with a kick-off of 7:45pm.
It will be the fifth pre-season in a row the two sides have met, with the run stretching back to 2014. Matchday arrangements will be confirmed in the near future.
As previously announced, Paul Hanlon has been awarded a testimonial against Blackburn Rovers, which will be played on Sunday 8 July at Easter Road Stadium, kicking off at 3pm.
These games act as a warm-up to the Club’s first match of the season, which will be in the UEFA Europa League First Qualifying Round First Leg on Thursday 12 July, with the draw taking place on Tuesday 19 June.

linlithgowhibbie
22-05-2018, 06:20 PM
HC I know you like a beer so heres a guide.

Starting from the train station you have,
1. The Star, has outside drinking area.
2. Platform 3 has great real ales but quite small.
3. The Post Office is big and cheapish, a belhaven pub with pub grub and big screens.
4. The 4 Marys another Belhaven pub plenty real bear/lagers to choose from
5, Bar 1807 (used to be the "Hole") fullof women drinking wine, you cant walk in and order at the bar, its waitress service.
6. Linlithgow Tap (used to be the Footies) decent boozer with circular island bar and good choice of drinks.
7. The Crown is probably the most popular local in town but quite wee, good service and plenty choices of drinks.
8. The Star, dece nt boozer, nowt special but okay, Has a beer garden too
9, The Kelpies, another smallish bar but ok
10, The Black Bitch lounge, bar and beer garden, good boozer
11 West Port hotel, more hotelish than pub but has lounge and food and big sports bar(when open)
12 Rugby Club big and cheap plenty parking (may have a rugby game on tho)
13 Lastly the Rose club function room will seat 200, seperate lounge and games room with 2 pool tables, decent prices attached to the Rose ground. Parking for about 50 cars on match days.

Plenty on street parking nearby and the Academy has spaces for about 100 cars if nothing on at the school.

Hope this helps.

PS station is less that 1 mile from ground

Brian

Bobo
22-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Here's a couple of photos from the Glentoran game, including the cage, it's the billboard on the terracing that sticks in my heid.

Bristolhibby
20-06-2018, 04:33 PM
I suppose no news on any more friendlies?

I’m guessing Europe should take up most of our playing time.

J