PDA

View Full Version : Kieren Tierney

18-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Athletico Madrid the latest club to take an interest in him but he's come out and said he wants to stay at celtic his whole career which got me thinking, what would you do if you were him?

If you were a footballer and playing for the club you've loved and supported all your life (the dream!), earning a very good amount of money and guaranteed trophies every single season, as Kieren Tierney is at Celtic, would you happily settle with that or would you still want to go out your comfort zone and try yourself at a bigger club?

I guess it would come down to money vs trophies in a lot of ways. Say he did move to Atheltico Madrid, he would be earning considerably more money than at Celtic but wouldn't win as many trophies.

3pm
18-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Atletico.

Smartie
18-05-2018, 09:29 PM
What would I do?

Sign for Hibs and provide solid back-up to Lewis Stevenson.

One Day Soon
18-05-2018, 09:30 PM
What would I do?

Sign for Hibs and provide solid back-up to Lewis Stevenson.

I've got Scott Allan covered.

guthrie01
18-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Glasgow or Madrid, hard call to make :hmmm:

Sammy7nil
18-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Athletico Madrid the latest club to take an interest in him but he's come out and said he wants to stay at celtic his whole career which got me thinking, what would you do if you were him?

If you were a footballer and playing for the club you've loved and supported all your life (the dream!), earning a very good amount of money and guaranteed trophies every single season, as Kieren Tierney is at Celtic, would you happily settle with that or would you still want to go out your comfort zone and try yourself at a bigger club?

I guess it would come down to money vs trophies in a lot of ways. Say he did move to Atheltico Madrid, he would be earning considerably more money than at Celtic but wouldn't win as many trophies.

It is about quality of life and family. He seems very focused and close to his friends and family and that counts for a lot. What ever he does I am sure he will have plenty of options and I don't think he should be knocked what ever he chooses to do. With regard to money when you get a million a year would three million make your life so much better?

SteveHFC
18-05-2018, 09:40 PM

I would sign for Atletico and we can use the cash to bring Leigh back.

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Are these clubs actually interested? Find it hard to believe

Zazu62
18-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Is he even that good?

neil7908
18-05-2018, 09:46 PM

To me it's an incredibly easy question - Athletico every time. He's already won everything he can at Celtic and I'm sure they would have him back if it doesn't work out.

It would be a crying shame if he spent the rest of his career at Celtic. Go and test yourself, try and improve and who knows where you might end up.

18-05-2018, 09:50 PM
To me it's an incredibly easy question - Athletico every time. He's already won everything he can at Celtic and I'm sure they would have him back if it doesn't work out.

It would be a crying shame if he spent the rest of his career at Celtic. Go and test yourself, try and improve and who knows where you might end up.

Very true and If it was me I would absolutely want to try my hand at the highest level but some players are happy to stick within their comfort zone. Look at Brown for example, he could have played in England or even abroad and been successful IMO but he's stuck at Celtic. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, he earns a very comfortable living and has a huge collection of winners medals to show off but it's like he didn't want to take the next step. Maybe I'm being unfair, I don't know Brown personally so perhaps his decision to stay in Glasgow was for family reasons or whatever rather than not wanting to take the risk at moving to a better team and league.

Tierneys still very young. If I was him, I would enjoy developing and learning at the club I love but in a few years time when I was a more mature player I'd be looking to take the next step up.

Sylar
18-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Absolute lack of ambition on his part if he'd rather remain with the whale in the rockery pool.

I understand he's a lifelong Celtc fan, but come on to **** - it's a short career, and there's a possibility of playing week in, week out, against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Greizman, etc, etc, etc, rather than Harry Cochrane, Kris Boyd, Jason Holt or Murray Davidson (nothing against those specific players, I just picked four random names from the SPFL).

He's a failure if he stays with Celtc IMO - like constantly playing FIFA on "Easy".

Sammy7nil
18-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Absolute lack of ambition on his part if he'd rather remain with the whale in the rockery pool.

I understand he's a lifelong Celtc fan, but come on to **** - it's a short career, and there's a possibility of playing week in, week out, against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Greizman, etc, etc, etc, rather than Harry Cochrane, Kris Boyd, Jason Holt or Murray Davidson (nothing against those specific players, I just picked four random names from the SPFL).

He's a failure if he stays with Celtc IMO - like constantly playing FIFA on "Easy".

Yeah he would be real failure :greengrin:greengrin

neil7908
18-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Very true and If it was me I would absolutely want to try my hand at the highest level but some players are happy to stick within their comfort zone. Look at Brown for example, he could have played in England and been successful IMO but he's stuck at Celtic. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, he earns a very comfortable living and has a huge collection of winners medals to show off.

Tierneys still very young. If I was him, I would enjoy developing and learning at the club I love but in a few years time when I was a more mature player I'd be looking to take the next step up.

Yeah, your right that Tierney still has plenty years ahead of him so no rush but at some point you wonder what he'll learn playing for Celtic and getting away with coasting through most games.

Look at how far his competition at left back for Scotland has gone. He chanced his luck down south, went to a much less fancied team than Athletico and now could be coming away with a Champions League medal. I don't care how many SPL titles Tierney wins, Robertson will have him beat even if that's the only thing he wins for the rest of his career.

I'm not sure what about this subject annoys me so much but it just feels like someone lucky enough to be born with a great talent not making the most of it.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Too many players move too quickly imo. Hes won loads but what's the rush? The league is getting more competitve and hes getting european and international experience under his belt all whilst playing in front of 60k fans most weeks!

I'm sure hes getting paid a decent wedge to have the pleasure of playing for the club he loves as well. I reckon he'll stay another year or 2 and get a big move. Right now he's living the dream and whilst I'd wanna test myself at the top level i wouldnt rush to the first opportunity

The Bournemouth link is actually laughable tbh

18-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Too many players move too quickly imo. Hes won loads but what's the rush? The league is getting more competitve and hes getting european and international experience under his belt all whilst playing in front of 60k fans most weeks!

I'm sure hes getting paid a decent wedge to have the pleasure of playing for the club he loves as well. I reckon he'll stay another year or 2 and get a big move. Right now he's living the dream and whilst I'd wanna test myself at the top level i wouldnt rush to the first opportunity

No rush at all and in fact I think he would be crazy to leave now. He's young but at celtic he is playing every week and getting a good experience of European football as well. I mean for in the future because he will attract decent offers and despite saying he wants to stay at celtic for his whole career he should look to be ambitious when the time is right.

lord bunberry
18-05-2018, 10:06 PM
I don’t think it’s as unlikely as it seems. Celtic has proven to be a good platform for players to move on to bigger things. Other clubs will have taken notice of the fact that there might be some players available for a knockdown price.

Sylar
18-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Yeah he would be real failure :greengrin:greengrin

How does he learn/develop as a player when he's continually coming up against mediocre/rank rotten opposition that don't provide a challenge week in, week out?

If he wants to be a truly elite player, which I wholly believe he can be, he should be testing himself against the best there are. David Robertson is a prime example of just how much you can improve by challenging yourself rather than accepting your lot and winning easy medals/trophies.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2018, 10:10 PM

That's not quite what he said in the BBC article, I'm not sure if you have perhaps read another article.

In the BBC one he said;

"I've never thought about elsewhere yet, in my life," he said. "It's just been Celtic since the age of seven."

"I've never even been on trial with an another team," said Tierney. "I was at my local boys' club then moved to Celtic at seven.

"Can I see myself being here all my career? Yes, I can. But, you never know in football.

"I've never thought about being away from Celtic. Maybe one day it will happen."

"It's a kind of confidence-booster in a way to know that you've put the hard work in and massive teams all over Europe are noticing it," he told BBC Scotland.

"It's flattering for teams like that to be interested."

Sounds to me like he's saying all the right things, as you would expect. He's hardly likely to say that he doesn't want to stay there for his whole career and he'll be accepting the first big offer that comes in for him.

He's only 20 years old. There's plenty of time for him to leave.

18-05-2018, 10:13 PM
That's not quite what he said in the BBC article, I'm not sure if you have perhaps read another article.

In the BBC one he said;

"I've never thought about elsewhere yet, in my life," he said. "It's just been Celtic since the age of seven."

"I've never even been on trial with an another team," said Tierney. "I was at my local boys' club then moved to Celtic at seven.

"Can I see myself being here all my career? Yes, I can. But, you never know in football.

"I've never thought about being away from Celtic. Maybe one day it will happen."

"It's a kind of confidence-booster in a way to know that you've put the hard work in and massive teams all over Europe are noticing it," he told BBC Scotland.

"It's flattering for teams like that to be interested."

Sounds to me like he's saying all the right things, as you would expect. He's hardly likely to say that he doesn't want to stay there for his whole career and he'll be accepting the first big offer that comes in for him.

He's only 20 years old. There's plenty of time for him to leave.

Fair enough. I hadn't read that, I've just seen headlines saying he wants to be a one club man etc (how uncharacteristic of the papers to put a spin on things eh :rolleyes:)

EskbankHibby
18-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Nothing wrong with a player being happy at his club and staying there. I only wish some of our players think the same.

I’ll qualify that, Tierney’s stock is high so could say to Celtic “Athletico have offered me x amount, offer me 80% of that and I’ll sign for 5 years”.

Obviously professional life is short and if someone says to anyone I’ll triple your wages that’s a no brainer but if your current club, who you love or for some reason and it ‘works’ for you, can offer a ‘whole’ package- stay put.

It’s the same discussion we are having about Scott Allan, why would he stay with us if he can earn more and challenge himself more (football-wise) elsewhere?

What’s wrong with enjoying a sporting challenge and enjoying life?

Mr White
18-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Fair enough. I hadn't read that, I've just seen headlines saying he wants to be a one club man etc (how uncharacteristic of the papers to put a spin on things eh :rolleyes:)

Some might say you're helping them out there by starting threads based solely on their headlines.

vuefrom1875
18-05-2018, 11:03 PM

I would say to him....widen your horizons embrace the language and culture of Madrid, or anywhere else and get out of the goldfish bowl thats Glasgow and learn about yourself along the way.its a short career so he should make the most of it. A footballers life is to short....

Hi Heid Yin
18-05-2018, 11:17 PM
I would say to him....widen your horizons embrace the language and culture of Madrid, or anywhere else and get out of the goldfish bowl thats Glasgow and learn about yourself along the way.its a short career so he should make the most of it. A footballers life is to short....

I couldn't have put it better.:agree:

pacoluna
19-05-2018, 02:21 AM

What... Like Scott brown?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-05-2018, 02:52 AM

If it were me, id stay a few more years at Celtic, be part of the 10 in a row push, then reevaluate in my mid 20s, and look to move abroad / england then.

LReilly95
19-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Have some ambition and challenge yourself. It's the temptation of staying in Scotland to pursue a career with Celtic and Rangers (RIP) that that stops us from becoming world beaters. You can gain cult status within your own fan base (which is ultimately why people want to play for their boyhood team) without comprising career progression.

19-05-2018, 05:07 AM
If you compare Brown to say Fletcher, two players from the same hibs era, Brown has of course won more medals (at Celtic your pretty much guaranteed at least 1 a season) but Fletcher has played in the Premiership down in England playing against top opposition, in big stadiums week in week out. Fair enough you could agrue that Brown has played European football every season but even still, that's just a small part of the season.

The offer was there for Fletcher to go to celtic and had he decided to do so he, like Brown, would have accumulated plenty medals to his name but he would be playing against far poorer opposition and playing at grounds like Fir Hill, Dens Park, Rugby Park etc etc instead of stadiums like Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates with 50-60k crowds. Good on him for taking the risk, being ambitious and wanting to test himself week in week out against top players.

19-05-2018, 05:11 AM
BTW I'm not for one minute having a go at Scott Brown. He's had an excellent career and has won a lot, I mean after todays final it could be 6 in just 2 seasons which not many players can say they've done .My point simply is that for young players like Tierney, they should, when the time is right, look to broaden their horizons and challenge themselves. As someone already mentioned, Robertson is playing week in week out against high quality opposition and I think it's improved him as a player. Playing against the best makes you have to raise your game to compete.

Fuzzywuzzy
19-05-2018, 05:35 AM
You wonder if players ever regret it though. Seeing how far they could have gone. Paul McStay for example, 16 years at Celtic.

RoxburghHibs
19-05-2018, 05:44 AM

Had me excited thinking maybe he was signing for Hibs going on the title 😁

Frazerbob
19-05-2018, 06:30 AM
Is he even that good?

Yes

GlesgaeHibby
19-05-2018, 06:42 AM
He just needs to look at his pal Andy Robertson for inspiration. Look at how far he's got with talent, attitude and application. Waited patiently, cemented his place in Liverpool first team and now has a champions league final to look forward to.

Could see Tierney following Rodgers to Arsenal.

jakedance
19-05-2018, 06:56 AM
If I was him I’d stay at Celtc for ten in a row and then move on. He’s still very young and another three years developing his game at a club he loves will do him no harm.

Godsahibby
19-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Tierney will move away from Celtic. He’s to valuable an asset to stay there. They will want to cash in on him at some point.

Pretty Boy
19-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Yes

Seconded.

It's amazing that as a nation we moan about our inability to produce top class players then we look to talk down how good 1 of the 2 we have actually is.

It's a very Scottish thing, and I'm guilty of it at times as well, that we love to focus on the negative. I wonder if anyone in Portugal has ever commented on Ronaldo not being great at tracking a runner or if Barcelona fans questioned Puyols positional sense.

I suppose part of it is the partisan nature of football. There's a Hearts fan in my work who insists Derek Riordan was 'pish' and I know plenty Hibs fans who won't admit Rudi Skacel was a very good player. Tierney plays for Celtic so he must be overrated is arguably the focus of a lot of peoples mentality.

itslegaltender
19-05-2018, 07:00 AM
You move. Otherwise You don’t realise your potential like McStay did at them

LustForLeith
19-05-2018, 07:25 AM
I really rate Tierney. He’s not played that well when he’s faced us at Easter Road This season but there’s no denying he’s class.

If he goes it will be for an absolute fortune.

LustForLeith
19-05-2018, 07:26 AM
He just needs to look at his pal Andy Robertson for inspiration. Look at how far he's got with talent, attitude and application. Waited patiently, cemented his place in Liverpool first team and now has a champions league final to look forward to.

Could see Tierney following Rodgers to Arsenal.

What age will he be by the time Rodgers replaces Arteta?!

Walter
19-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Win European Trophies or win the SPL?🤔

calumhibee1
19-05-2018, 08:09 AM
If someone asked me if I wanted to stay at Hibs, earn way more money than I could spend, win nearly every week, probably become captain, win at least a trophy with the team I love every year, quite often 2 or 3, then I’d find it hard to turn that down. There comes a point when the money doesn’t matter anymore because you’re already earning more than you’ll ever spend.

Allant1981
19-05-2018, 08:56 AM
If someone asked me if I wanted to stay at Hibs, earn way more money than I could spend, win nearly every week, probably become captain, win at least a trophy with the team I love every year, quite often 2 or 3, then I’d find it hard to turn that down. There comes a point when the money doesn’t matter anymore because you’re already earning more than you’ll ever spend.

which in reality will never happen, you would be earning probably about £2k per week maximum at hibs, which obviously isnt to be sniffed at but not exactly millions.

eastcoasthibby
19-05-2018, 09:04 AM

He could probably quadruple his decent wage at Parheid and get himself a huge signing on lump too, do a couple of years there and come back a multi millionaire and much better developed footballer.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2018, 09:13 AM
which in reality will never happen, you would be earning probably about £2k per week maximum at hibs, which obviously isnt to be sniffed at but not exactly millions.

I'm sure I could live comfortably off £100,000 a year.

SChibs
19-05-2018, 09:18 AM

But what if somebody offered you 5 times that? Think of what you could do for your family and friends with all that extra cash

silverhibee
19-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Are these clubs actually interested? Find it hard to believe

Celtc have slapped a £30m price tag on him, I'm sure clubs are interested in him.

IGRIGI
19-05-2018, 09:25 AM
But what if somebody offered you 5 times that? Think of what you could do for your family and friends with all that extra cash

Especially when the career finishes between the age of 35 and 40.

GreenNWhiteArmy
19-05-2018, 09:25 AM
He could probably quadruple his decent wage at Parheid and get himself a huge signing on lump too, do a couple of years there and come back a multi millionaire and much better developed footballer.

Celtic aren't daft, they'll have him on a more than decent wage whereby his head shouldnt get turnt in that respect.

It will be about his footballing ambition. He's linked with atleti who've just won the Europa League and are about to finish 2nd. They have a Brazil international playing in his position right now. Highly risky move to go to a foreign cou try at his age imo. Another year or 2 at Celtic with European football along with hopefully qualifying for a major tournament with his country and he'll be flying. And probably make close to £3M in that time

Onion
19-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Players have short and precarious careers and you never know what's round the corner. Money isn't everything, but they need to maximise their earnings while they can (within reason). A few years living in Madrid, perhaps learning Spanish, enjoying a new culture, playing in a different style team etc is a fantastic opportunity.

You always sense that those who take the plunge to play abroad return more rounded players / people.

Sammy7nil
19-05-2018, 09:44 AM
How does he learn/develop as a player when he's continually coming up against mediocre/rank rotten opposition that don't provide a challenge week in, week out?

If he wants to be a truly elite player, which I wholly believe he can be, he should be testing himself against the best there are. David Robertson is a prime example of just how much you can improve by challenging yourself rather than accepting your lot and winning easy medals/trophies.

Maybe he is happy were he is there is there is a lot to be said for that, ask Gary O and Deek.

Sammy7nil
19-05-2018, 09:49 AM
If you compare Brown to say Fletcher, two players from the same hibs era, Brown has of course won more medals (at Celtic your pretty much guaranteed at least 1 a season) but Fletcher has played in the Premiership down in England playing against top opposition, in big stadiums week in week out. Fair enough you could agrue that Brown has played European football every season but even still, that's just a small part of the season.

The offer was there for Fletcher to go to celtic and had he decided to do so he, like Brown, would have accumulated plenty medals to his name but he would be playing against far poorer opposition and playing at grounds like Fir Hill, Dens Park, Rugby Park etc etc instead of stadiums like Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates with 50-60k crowds. Good on him for taking the risk, being ambitious and wanting to test himself week in week out against top players.

TBF not a great example, Broon will look back on medals trophies lots of caps games against Bayern Barca etc Fletcher played for Burnely and others and was relegated at least twice if not three times. I am not knocking Fletcher at all just not a great comparison.

Sammy7nil
19-05-2018, 09:54 AM

At Celtic he could easily get a million a year and then add on endorsements now much money do you need. It is like winning the lottery every three years.

I believe Broony is rumoured to be on £20k a week

Smartie
19-05-2018, 10:01 AM
TBF not a great example, Broon will look back on medals trophies lots of caps games against Bayern Barca etc Fletcher played for Burnely and others and was relegated at least twice if not three times. I am not knocking Fletcher at all just not a great comparison.

I don't think either player should or will look back on their career with regret.

They've made their choices and had the pros and cons that go with that, both having had different types of great career.

jakedance
19-05-2018, 10:20 AM

I totally agree. I’d rather Brown’s career than Fletchers. If we want to promote the Scottish game then why is everyone so desperate for our best players to leave our game? Fair enough if it’s to one of the bigger clubs in England but winning trophies and playing in Europe is a bigger draw than scrapping it out at Bournemouth.

Allant1981
19-05-2018, 10:42 AM

im sure you could but it's not exactly life changing amounts is it

SChibs
At Celtic he could easily get a million a year and then add on endorsements now much money do you need. It is like winning the lottery every three years.

I heard a few years ago it was 25k and he was their highest paid player for a while but I also seen somewhere Sinclair was estimated to be on 30k+.

Bruno Alves is the highest paid in Scotland apparently at 35k.

Allant1981

i never said anything about a wage at celtic

Stranraer
19-05-2018, 10:58 AM
personally, I'd stay with Celtic. If I got the chance to play for Hibs that would be where I'd want to stay for life, even if a bigger club was interested.

The Leith Dutch
19-05-2018, 11:04 AM

Nails part of the problem for the Scotland team - we have very, very few players playing in other leagues.

This is why a lot of the "lesser" nations are now above us.
Their players are exposed to a much, much wider variety of football cultures leading to a more flexible and diverse pool of players.

The SFA should concern itself less with the "a strong Celtic and Rangers" arse gravy and more with players plying their trade more widely.

Sammy7nil
19-05-2018, 03:12 PM

You are correct :greengrin but we are talking about Tierney and he plays for Celtic not Hibs :aok:

JimBHibees
19-05-2018, 03:15 PM

Thought Brown was on about 40k per week at Celtic.

Phil MaGlass
19-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Agree, plus, if you have seen some of the dangerous tackling hes having to endure, not only in this game but the whole season, which it seems is acceptable with the mediocre refereeing we have in this country, do you really want to play in a league that encourages such bad tackles, you dont learn anything here, he needs to move on now.

Monts
19-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Agree, plus, if you have seen some of the dangerous tackling hes having to endure, not only in this game but the whole season, which it seems is acceptable with the mediocre refereeing we have in this country, do you really want to play in a league that encourages such bad tackles, you dont learn anything here, he needs to move on now.

The other side of it is, do you really want to go to a massive team and not play every week. He's a guaranteed starter for Celtic.

Phil MaGlass
19-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Think you would learn and as someone said make yourself a more rounded player.What r u going to learn from playing teams like Hamilton Motherwell and hertz?