PDA

View Full Version : Scott Martin

Unseen work
14-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Anyone know if it’s likely he will get a chance in the first team next season?

I remember Neil Lennon talking him up a lot last season and he has always performed well imo when played.

Had two successful loan spells with Forfar and Arbroath and even won young player of the year for the latter this season.

Mikey09
14-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Would love to see him make the step up. Great wee player who Lennon could mould into a fantastic one.

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2018, 11:17 PM
I wish the lad well, but there is a chasm between playing for Forfar and Arbroath and playing for the current Hibs side.
Neil Lennon, I'm sure, will be following his progress and development, as he does with all our younger players.
At the end of the day if he is good enough he will be recognised and rewarded accordingly.

Sean1875
15-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Any idea when his contract is up? As a previous poster says its a massive jump from Arbroath to starting with Hibs. Would be interested to see him on loan at an upper level Championship team for next season - potentially even a lower half Premier team?

J-C
16-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Any idea when his contract is up? As a previous poster says its a massive jump from Arbroath to starting with Hibs. Would be interested to see him on loan at an upper level Championship team for next season - potentially even a lower half Premier team?

Can't remember who but a regular poster said on another thread he had 1 year left on his deal.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Can't remember who but a regular poster said on another thread he had 1 year left on his deal.

Think it was me, a couple of the lads in the development team told me this last week
It’s next season or never for Scott in my opinion, he’s just turned 21

The Sundance Kid
16-05-2018, 08:03 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/444058/hibs-make-moves-to-tie-up-some-of-their-brightest-prospects-on-extended-deals/amp/

According to this article he'll still have 2 years left on his deal

Jones28
16-05-2018, 08:14 AM
I'd say it's probably now or never with Mcgeouch leaving and McGinn likely to be leaving too.

Could be a big year for him.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2018, 08:21 AM
I'd say it's probably now or never with Mcgeouch leaving and McGinn likely to be leaving too.

Could be a big year for him.

Can play the defensive midfielder role, and hates a tackle

jacomo
16-05-2018, 08:27 AM

:confused:

Jones28
16-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Is that hates a tackle "wink wink" or hates a tackle?

Billy Whizz
16-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Is that hates a tackle "wink wink" or hates a tackle?

Wink wink, loves to get stuck in, never holds back, probably why he’s been booked, sent off so many times

J-C
16-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Wink wink, loves to get stuck in, never holds back, probably why he’s been booked, sent off so many times

Nowt wrong with that, he just needs to control it, Stevenson is another who "hates" a tackle but very seldom does he get booked, I've always liked what I've seen of Martin. Maybe he's been challenged by Lennon to focus himself which he sees to have done on loan recently, great opportunity to stake a claim for 1st team football.

Centre Hawf
16-05-2018, 09:57 AM
For me Scott Martin would be a good shout to anchor the midfield. Homegrown and desperate to prove himself. Give him a chance.

B.H.F.C
16-05-2018, 10:29 AM
For me Scott Martin would be a good shout to anchor the midfield. Homegrown and desperate to prove himself. Give him a chance.

Unless it’s someone who looks exceptional, I don’t think we are in a position to really give people a chance as such.

We are going to need to rebuild the side to even maintain what we did this year. Harsh as it might sound, I’m not sure that Scott Martin who has been playing in league one will help us do that. I think he’s past the promising youngster stage.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Unless it’s someone who looks exceptional, I don’t think we are in a position to really give people a chance as such.

We are going to need to rebuild the side to even maintain what we did this year. Harsh as it might sound, I’m not sure that Scott Martin who has been playing in league one will help us do that. I think he’s past the promising youngster stage.
BHFC, Scott is small, sometimes it takes these sort of lads a bit longer to catch up physically. So for me his age is irrelevant

One of the problems of Scottish football over the years, is the number of players released too early because of their size

Neil likes Martin, so I’m sure he’ll get a chance pre season, then it’s up to Scotty

Diclonius
16-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Assuming we sign Malallan and retain our other centre midfielders, I reckon our pecking order would look something like this:

Attacking/creative CMs
1. Allan
2. Mallan
3. Slivka
4. Swanson
5. F. Murray

Holding/defensive CMs
1. Whittaker
2. Bartley
3. Martin

Potentially a couple injuries/suspensions away from Martin getting in, but I have a feeling Lennon will either sign another holding CM to replace McGeouch or play 5-3-2 with three attacking mids. Martin will certainly have to "make it" this season, Fraser Murray has a while yet.

offshorehibby
16-05-2018, 10:43 AM
BHFC, Scott is small, sometimes it takes these sort of lads a bit longer to catch up physically. So for me his age is irrelevant

One of the problems of Scottish football over the years, is the number of players released too early because of their size

Neil likes Martin, so I’m sure he’ll get a chance pre season, then it’s up to Scotty

This is where the new reserve and under 18 leagues might help keep hold of players till they develop that we bit further.

Souter96Mac
16-05-2018, 10:48 AM
I've only seen Martin a couple times, but every time he seemed a tenacious midfielder, who gave 100% and never shirked out of a tackle. Could be useful next season, but we'll see come preseason if he's in Lenny's plans

Brightside
16-05-2018, 11:29 AM
He needs to train like it’s his last chance. Forget about a holiday with the boys. 10 days rest than hit the gym. He will only get in if he’s fitter than the rest.

jacomo
16-05-2018, 12:35 PM
He needs to train like it’s his last chance. Forget about a holiday with the boys. 10 days rest than hit the gym. He will only get in if he’s fitter than the rest.

:agree:

Centre Hawf
16-05-2018, 11:12 PM

Porteous was playing League 2 and no one was worried about him stepping in. Same with Shaw. What level you were at (which btw Martin has excelled in as a YPOTY in a play off placed club) is almost irrelevant when you go on loan as the idea of the loan is to get you playing football and getting chucked about by more experienced lads, I agree with people who say this is his last chance to show it. But he should be at least given that chance considering he's done all we've asked of him when going on loan.

indiejak1413
17-05-2018, 05:48 AM
I very much doubt if Scotty will make it to the 1st team . If Porteous was MOTM against Rangers then dropped the following week then what chance has the lad got. It's a harsh reality but Hibs youth policy is basically a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
17-05-2018, 05:54 AM
I have no inside knowledge or anything like that but I would be surprised if Scott Martin makes it at Hibs. He is 21 and has barely any first team experience. I understand it will have been difficult for anyone to break into our midfield over the past few seasons but that's just my feelings on this.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

JimBHibees
17-05-2018, 05:57 AM
I very much doubt if Scotty will make it to the 1st team . If Porteous was MOTM against Rangers then dropped the following week then what chance has the lad got. It's a harsh reality but Hibs youth policy is basically a waste of time.

Disagree totally this season has seen imo 3 potentially very good players coming through. Sure they will think they should get more time however they genuinely have to earn it.

indiejak1413
17-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Potential isn't getting them regular 1st team football. Personally I'd have had Porteous in the team more often but it doesn't matter how good he is a senior player will never be dropped for a youth player. Eddie May will dangle the carrot in front of these young lads but as I said the harsh reality is they will seldom make it.

MSK
17-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Sent from my SM-G965F using TapatalkIts not a waste of time, Shaw & Porteous have had game time & have been around the first team squads most of the season. Both done well when called upon but we were chasing second place in the league so it made sense to have more established players on the pitch. No doubt if we had finished 5th or lower then Lennon would have given both or others more game time. Im sure we will see more involvement from one or two youth players next season.

Oscar T Grouch
17-05-2018, 06:07 AM
I have no inside knowledge or anything like that but I would be surprised if Scott Martin makes it at Hibs. He is 21 and has barely any first team experience. I understand it will have been difficult for anyone to break into our midfield over the past few seasons but that's just my feelings on this.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

He’s played over 50 senior games in his career albeit mostly in lower leagues. You’ve stated exactly why he’s not been able to break into the Hibs team, most midfielders in this league would struggle to make the Hibs first 11. SM is a good footballer and hopefully will be given his chance to grab a place in the team.

JimBHibees
17-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Potential isn't getting them regular 1st team football. Personally I'd have had Porteous in the team more often but it doesn't matter how good he is a senior player will never be dropped for a youth player. Eddie May will dangle the carrot in front of these young lads but as I said the harsh reality is they will seldom make it.

If they don't make it the harsh reality will be they weren't good enough or dedicated enough to make it.

Del Boy
17-05-2018, 06:11 AM
Saw him play for Arbroath a month ago and whilst he looked alright he didn’t stand out at that level

Sir David Gray
17-05-2018, 06:31 AM
He’s played over 50 senior games in his career albeit mostly in lower leagues. You’ve stated exactly why he’s not been able to break into the Hibs team, most midfielders in this league would struggle to make the Hibs first 11. SM is a good footballer and hopefully will be given his chance to grab a place in the team.

I meant senior games for Hibs.

I think the fact that he's not even been kept as a squad player or been regularly on the bench is an indication of his place in the pecking order at Hibs.

Despite being 2 years younger, fellow midfielder Fraser Murray has been retained and has appeared on the bench several times this season.

I have no axe to grind and as I said before I'll be more than happy if I'm proved wrong and Scott Martin becomes an established first team player at Hibs.

I just won't be putting money on it.

Centre Hawf
17-05-2018, 06:37 AM
Fwiw I think Lennon has done well by Shaw and Porteous. A bit of game time here and then pulling them out the limelight before having time to settle into it. Keep them hungry and working hard to get back in again. I have high hopes for them next season.

Brightside
17-05-2018, 06:47 AM

:greengrin *LOOK AT ME* *LOOK AT ME*

B.H.F.C
17-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Porteous was playing League 2 and no one was worried about him stepping in. Same with Shaw. What level you were at (which btw Martin has excelled in as a YPOTY in a play off placed club) is almost irrelevant when you go on loan as the idea of the loan is to get you playing football and getting chucked about by more experienced lads, I agree with people who say this is his last chance to show it. But he should be at least given that chance considering he's done all we've asked of him when going on loan.

Porteous is a different case for me. He was playing at that level at 17/18 and it was clearly to develop him. He’s a couple of years younger and already made a far greater impact on the first team. As has Shaw.

I’m not so sure that Martin was out there because Hibs saw it as an important part of his development, more because they didn’t see a place for him at ER at that point. If he’s still contracted he’ll obviously be involved in pre season but I’d be really surprised if he’s in the side next season.

ian cruise
17-05-2018, 07:27 AM

In no way is our youth policy a waste of time. We have some excellent prospects coming through who don't look out of place in a very good Hibs side. Other teams are playing youngsters out of necessity rather than due to their ability meaning they deserve their slot while we are signing proven and internationally capped players to play in the same position as some of our up and coming players.

indiejak1413
17-05-2018, 08:57 AM
The point I'm trying to make is that these lads no matter how well they play when they get a chance the following week they're dropped. Now I'm sorry but Porteous shouldn't have been dropped after the Rangers game at Ibrox. How are we going to know if these lads are any good if they don't get a chance. I'd rather see a good youth player with a bit of hunger and desire than a proven capped cheap import .

B.H.F.C
17-05-2018, 09:30 AM
The point I'm trying to make is that these lads no matter how well they play when they get a chance the following week they're dropped. Now I'm sorry but Porteous shouldn't have been dropped after the Rangers game at Ibrox. How are we going to know if these lads are any good if they don't get a chance. I'd rather see a good youth player with a bit of hunger and desire than a proven capped cheap import .

How did we get on after the game at Ibrox?