PDA

View Full Version : Scott Arfield at Castle Greyskull

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Scott Arfield at Castle Greyskull for signing talks this morning.Sourse SSN.Could be the first of many big signings by Steven Gerrard.Hope they pay their Seat Damage Bill first before spending any of their War Chest.

GGTTH

Diclonius
14-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Good signing for them.

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Scott Arfield at Castle Greyskull for signing talks this morning.Sourse SSN.Could be the first of many big signings by Steven Gerrard.Hope they pay their Seat Damage Bill first before spending any of their War Chest.

GGTTH
Has signed passed medical four year deal. Source SSN.

Springbank
14-05-2018, 10:03 AM

GGTTH

Honest opinion - he will be a waste of money.

A reasonable midfielder, but Rangers would get better value from a Graeme Shinnie (on a lower wage) than a Scott Arfield.

And from a Hibs point of view, given the choice of a Scott Arfield type or a Scott Allan type, I would want to sign Scott Allan every single time

jacomo
14-05-2018, 10:08 AM

A reasonable midfielder, but Rangers would get better value from a Graeme Shinnie (on a lower wage) than a Scott Arfield.

And from a Hibs point of view, given the choice of a Scott Arfield type or a Scott Allan type, I would want to sign Scott Allan every single time

Arfield is a quality player. Not going to pretend otherwise. Not sure that he’s a different ‘type’ of player to Scott Allan??

I’d be delighted with Allan though. He seems a bit smitten with Hibs now. Some question marks over his fitness but a fine player.

bingo70
14-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Arfield is a quality player. Not going to pretend otherwise. Not sure that he’s a different ‘type’ of player to Scott Allan??

I’d be delighted with Allan though. He seems a bit smitten with Hibs now. Some question marks over his fitness but a fine player.

When was the last time you saw Scott Arfield play?

Allant1981
14-05-2018, 10:18 AM

pretty sure he has played about 20 times this season for a decent burnley team so obviously still has something to offer

Eaststandee
14-05-2018, 10:19 AM
He'll be another over paid flop, IMHO.

blaikie
14-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Decent signing but so was Dorrans and he’s done absolutely **** all!

bingo70
14-05-2018, 10:21 AM
pretty sure he has played about 20 times this season for a decent burnley team so obviously still has something to offer

Why are they getting rid of him then if he still has something to offer?

He’ll be alright probably but I laugh when people just think because he’s coming from England he’ll automatically be better than what’s up here, rarely works out that way.

Smartie
14-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Decent signing but so was Dorrans and he’s done absolutely **** all!

They've signed a few players who I thought would do well that have turned out to be huddies.

Dorrans, Barton, Rossiter, Russell Martin........

euro Hibby
14-05-2018, 10:30 AM
did Joe barton not sign from Burnly...

Not a bad signing probably ; heafty signing on fee and wages but OK for them.

Billy Whizz
14-05-2018, 10:31 AM

GGTTH

Had a decent career at Burnley, but strangely enough never impressed me at Falkirk. Won’t add too many goals to Rangers though
Must be a Mark Allan signing rather than Stevie G, as this has been on the cards for quite a while
God knows what Sevco are paying him, but seemingly on £20k per week at Burnley

jacomo
14-05-2018, 10:38 AM

:dunno:

A few months ago maybe? Why?

I’m not massively interested in getting into a classification debate about the two Scotts. They are, broadly speaking, the same ‘type’ of player, albeit Arfield is more adaptable.

calumhibee1
14-05-2018, 10:41 AM
A cert to be another flop.

Billy Whizz
14-05-2018, 10:43 AM
A cert to be another flop.

4 year deal, Jesus, will be 30 later this year

CorrieHibs
14-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Another big wage for an average player.

Keep the good work up.

Allant1981
14-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Why are they getting rid of him then if he still has something to offer?

He’ll be alright probably but I laugh when people just think because he’s coming from England he’ll automatically be better than what’s up here, rarely works out that way.

they are probably throwing daft money at him which is why he will becoming back up, personally i think he will be a decent signing for them but time will tell

Bostonhibby
14-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Half decent player but not one I'd be losing any sleep over, the deal has the feel of their other "big" signings about it though, krancjaer, senderos Barton et al. Underwhelming when you think how they used to spend, No doubt the meejah will spin it as a major coup rather than a pension enhancer but there you go.

Springbank
14-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Had a decent career at Burnley, but strangely enough never impressed me at Falkirk. Won’t add too many goals to Rangers though
Must be a Mark Allan signing rather than Stevie G, as this has been on the cards for quite a while
God knows what Sevco are paying him, but seemingly on £20k per week at Burnley

My main comparison point was actually that - for this money - they could have got Graeme Shinnie, and (imho) Shinnie will be more effective next season in this league than Arfield.

I'm delighted that that offensive, sectarian and overtly-British mob are wasting their money (again) on the next Joey Barton, rather than on the best midfielders that play in our league

calumhibee1
14-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Exactly. If I got offered Shinnie or McLean or Arfield then Arfield would be the last of the 3 I’d take.

overdrive
14-05-2018, 10:49 AM

I'm not trying to turn this into a negative about Hibs, but we gave a 3 year deal to 33 year-old Steven Whittaker last summer. Arfield will be younger at the end of his deal than Whittaker will be at the end of his.

Billy Whizz
14-05-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm not trying to turn this into a negative about Hibs, but we gave a 3 year deal to 33 year-old Steven Whittaker last summer. Arfield will be younger at the end of his deal than Whittaker will be at the end of his.

Get your point, but not on £20k per year

Stranraer
14-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Would I be right in thinking he had a decent spell at Huddersfield Town when they were in League 1? A decent player if I'm thinking of the right guy.

BoomtownHibees
14-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Big Celtc fan as well 😉

Ozyhibby
14-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Whittaker was a mistake and Arfield probably turn out exactly the same way.
Players over 30 rarely perform to the standards expected and are usually poor value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patlowe
14-05-2018, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't describe him as "quality" but I guess it's all relative. Good runner and seems to have a good attitude so I'm sure he'll do fine up here but, for what they'll be paying him at his age, it doesn't look like they've learned many lessons from the past.

Smartie
14-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Whittaker was a mistake and Arfield probably turn out exactly the same way.
Players over 30 rarely perform to the standards expected and are usually poor value for money.

It depends on the standards expected.

There will be a lot expected of this guy which will make it a lot more difficult for him.

I thought Whittaker had a good game yesterday btw.

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2018, 11:08 AM

GGTTH
Has signed passed medical four year deal. Source SSN.

Carheenlea
14-05-2018, 11:16 AM
For a club like Rangers, can this really be described as a “big signing”?

hibsbollah
14-05-2018, 11:23 AM
He has a look of Craig Bellamy about him.

Beefster
14-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Good start to the 'Gerrard revolution'. Lets hope the rest of his signings get foisted upon him too.

Sylar
14-05-2018, 11:25 AM
This was "confirmed" weeks ago, no? Didn't he agree to a pre-contract agreement with The Rangers weeks before Gerard was appointed?

Ozyhibby
14-05-2018, 11:26 AM
It depends on the standards expected.

There will be a lot expected of this guy which will make it a lot more difficult for him.

I thought Whittaker had a good game yesterday btw.

I don’t think any of our defence had a great day yesterday except Marciano who was faultless with the 5 goals and made a couple of cracking saves.

BegbieHSC
14-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Who?

I don't really pay attention to english football, but I can wholeheartedly say I've never heard of this guy!

Beefster
14-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Who?

I don't really pay attention to english football, but I can wholeheartedly say I've never heard of this guy!

Used to play for Falkirk IIRC.

Onceinawhile
14-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Scotland's second best Canadian international Imo.

JeMeSouviens
14-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Who?

He played for Falkirk up here, left in 2010, 3 seasons at Huddersfield, 5 at Burnley. He's a good player, but he'll only be good value for Sevco if he's taking a monumental wage cut.

jacomo
14-05-2018, 11:37 AM

:agree:

essexhibee
So good he never even got a sniff of a call up for Scotland first team....:confused:

lyonhibs
Let's not kid ourselves, if were signing Scott Arfield we'd be happy with that.

Still, 4 years for an almost 30 year old. Bold from Rangers and cushty for Arfield.

Coco Bryce
14-05-2018, 11:39 AM
This was "confirmed" weeks ago, no? Didn't he agree to a pre-contract agreement with The Rangers weeks before Gerard was appointed?

Aye, he signed a pre-contract with them on the 27th April.

Murty then got the bullet on May 1st.

Gerrard signing my arse!!

allmodcons
14-05-2018, 11:48 AM

IMO Whittaker has been decent/good since coming back into contention.

If he can avoid injuries, he'll do well for us over next 2 years in the SPL.

Arfield will be getting something like 10 times the salary Whittaker is on at Hibs so, for me, there is no comparison.

bingo70
14-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Still, 4 years for an almost 30 year old. Bold from Rangers and cushty for Arfield.

I think that’s the thing though, I reckon he’s more of a hibs/Aberdeen type signing rather than one that’ll take Rangers to the level they want to be at.

Growing up we had to deal with the rangers signing the likes of Laudrup and gazza, that’s the sort of level I worry about them getting back to, signing players like Arfield gives me no cause for concern.

JimBHibees
14-05-2018, 12:07 PM
They've signed a few players who I thought would do well that have turned out to be huddies.

Dorrans, Barton, Rossiter, Russell Martin........

Murphy, Cummings also

JeMeSouviens
14-05-2018, 12:35 PM
I think that’s the thing though, I reckon he’s more of a hibs/Aberdeen type signing rather than one that’ll take Rangers to the level they want to be at.

Growing up we had to deal with the rangers signing the likes of Laudrup and gazza, that’s the sort of level I worry about them getting back to, signing players like Arfield gives me no cause for concern.

:agree: There's not much point in them having 2x the Sheep's budget and 3x ours if they spend many times our top wage on a player no better than what we have.

Emm, I mean, good strategy Sevco, keep it up. :aok:

Springbank
14-05-2018, 12:45 PM
:agree: There's not much point in them having 2x the Sheep's budget and 3x ours if they spend many times our top wage on a player no better than what we have.

Emm, I mean, good strategy Sevco, keep it up. :aok:

Yes, and by the way, what Rangers* really need next is Martin Skirtl - high wages and transfer fee, spent on the wrong end of the pitch, for a guy whose injury record suggests 20 appearances a season tops.

Dashing Bob S
14-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Arfield is the sort of signing that will pull the Huns away from us and A’deen (and ha ha ha Hearts, obv) but he won’t get them close to Celtic.

jacomo
14-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Stevie G now saying he wants the Rangers to play like Klopp’s Liverpool.

Well ok then!

Personally I think the manager he should be emulating is Benitez - a pragmatic and shrewd operator who is all about the result. Gerrard is coming across as very naive.

I look forward to the wheels coming off in dramatic fashion.

Stranraer
14-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Stevie G now saying he wants the Rangers to play like Klopp’s Liverpool.

Well ok then!

Personally I think the manager he should be emulating is Benitez - a pragmatic and shrewd operator who is all about the result. Gerrard is coming across as very naive.

I look forward to the wheels coming off in dramatic fashion.

I think this is what will happen. No experience so he'll end up getting sacked and replaced with Neilson mid-season by which time we and Aberdeen will be above them.

Nevi_SOL
14-05-2018, 01:35 PM
This is the same player who couldn’t get in any Scotland team in the last decade and that includes leveins team where the likes of Ian black got a cap

jgl07
14-05-2018, 01:43 PM
I bet that Brendan Rogers is fair crapping himself over this signing.

Allant1981
14-05-2018, 01:46 PM
This is the same player who couldn’t get in any Scotland team in the last decade and that includes leveins team where the likes of Ian black got a cap

could say the same for a lot of players, take hanlon for example, cant get in a squad that contains souttar

Billy Whizz
14-05-2018, 01:47 PM
could say the same for a lot of players, take hanlon for example, cant get in a squad that contains souttar

Think it’s more to do with Scotland needing a right sided centre back, as they have a few that can play on the left like Paul

For what it’s worth, I don’t see Souttar as international class

The Baldmans Comb
14-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Its the sort of signing that will help them move ahead of the sheep but won't make any impact on Celtcs dominance.

Celtc trounce then everywhere from stadium capacity to money in the bank to access to European football and backed by Dermont Desmond who has serious rather than imagined money.

Geo_1875
14-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Its the sort of signing that will help them move ahead of the sheep but won't make any impact on Celtcs dominance.

Celtc trounce then everywhere from stadium capacity to money in the bank to access to European football and backed by Dermont Desmond who has serious rather than imagined money.

They have to catch the sheep before they can pull away from them.

Anybody that thinks their current squad plus Scott Arfield will do that is dreaming.

Spike Mandela
14-05-2018, 02:17 PM

Yes but that’s the point. Rangers are signing players that would be decent players at Hibs, Aberdeen or even Hearts. They are paying over the odds for players of which we can find similar on much cheaper deals.

Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes and Levein would like a player like Arfield in their team but they won’t fear playing a team full of Arfield like players and Brendan Rodgers most certainly will not be worried.

Geo_1875
14-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Yes but that’s the point. Rangers are signing players that would be decent players at Hibs, Aberdeen or even Hearts. They are paying over the odds for players of which we can find similar on much cheaper deals.

Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes and Levein would like a player like Arfield in their team but they won’t fear playing a team full of Arfield like players and Brendan Rodgers most certainly will not be worried.

Levein wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole. He's only 5' 10".

Ozyhibby
14-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Arfield is the sort of signing that will pull the Huns away from us and A’deen (and ha ha ha Hearts, obv) but he won’t get them close to Celtic.

Heard that a lot last season about Dorrans.

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2018, 03:04 PM
I have seen a fair bit of Arfield down here, he's a good solid player, and will improve them.

He's no Messi, but he is a decent player.

ballengeich
14-05-2018, 03:20 PM
It's a similar deal to Jamie Murphy - 29, won't get another EPL deal, but still more than good enough for the Scottish Premier. The player gets to come home on a four year contract on Rangers' wages rather than gradually descend the English leagues.

It's the type of signing that should consolidate 2nd for them next season, but isn't likely to get them 1st.

JeMeSouviens
14-05-2018, 03:26 PM
It's a similar deal to Jamie Murphy - 29, won't get another EPL deal, but still more than good enough for the Scottish Premier. The player gets to come home on a four year contract on Rangers' wages rather than gradually descend the English leagues.

It's the type of signing that should consolidate 2nd for them next season, but isn't likely to get them 1st.

Not sure you can consolidate something you've never achieved yet. :wink:

Dorrans, Murphy, Arfield, Alan McGregor. All Huns (as in self declared supporters) and all on big money. Either it's a strategy to pack the team with "committed" players or they're the only guys daft enough to sign up. I guess it makes sense in a one last payday kind of a way, as you say none of them are going to get new EPL contracts.

ballengeich
14-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Not sure you can consolidate something you've never achieved yet. :wink:

Dorrans, Murphy, Arfield, Alan McGregor. All Huns (as in self declared supporters) and all on big money. Either it's a strategy to pack the team with "committed" players or they're the only guys daft enough to sign up. I guess it makes sense in a one last payday kind of a way, as you say none of them are going to get new EPL contracts.

Fair point, I should have said achieve.

That's a fair number of experienced players who'll be veterans by the time their contracts expire. I hope they can afford them. When they brought in Cummings, Murphy and Martin in January I had the suspicion that they were intended as replacements for Morelos, Windass and Alves whom they thought they could sell, but weren't eventually able to.

Of the first team squad only Bates and Miller are out of contract. If they're making a number of signings they'll surely have to sell too. The problem could be that the ones Gerard will want rid of are unlikely either to bring a transfer fee or to make the same money elsewhere so may have to be paid off.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Did Burnley not offer him terms?

Decent player and a good signing for the The's.

Jim44
14-05-2018, 04:54 PM
With their hatred of the Scottish scene, the Sevco muppets will be chuffed that they can support Canada as well as England now.:greengrin

ancient hibee
14-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Didn’t even realise Murphy was playing yesterday.No impact.

allezsauzee
14-05-2018, 08:09 PM
He's decent but hardly the sort of signing to have us quaking in our boots. Hopefully they are continuing their policy of grossly overpaying players.

blaikie
16-05-2018, 04:13 PM
They’ve just signed McGregor as well .......

Fast approaching 40 no resale value but he’s a staunch Hun in their eyes, I would say he’s a downgrade on Fodringham.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2018, 04:16 PM

Fast approaching 40 no resale value but he’s a staunch Hun in their eyes, I would say he’s a downgrade on Fodringham.

Think it’s fair to say Gerrard doesn’t sign the players at Ibrox

blaikie
16-05-2018, 04:23 PM

Definitely!

Arfield and McGregor have been forced upon him, two of them in the closing phase of their playing careers and never been top quality even by scottish football standards. The fans will lap it up because both of them are “rangers men”

Fodringham and Alnwick aren’t exactly bad goalkeepers, I’d take Alnwick here if we lost Rocky.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2018, 04:33 PM

If 36 year old goalkeepers are the height of their ambitions then we have nothing to fear for next season.

snooky
16-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Arfield and Sibbald were always a couple of generally rated players at Falkirk.

SChibs
16-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Murphy, Cummings also

Murphy has done well for them to be fair. On 15 combined goals and assists. I think kamberi is on 11 combined.

Tom Hart RIP
16-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Asked for no 37 shirt in memory of his pal Craig Gowans who died following training ground incident few years ago. Nice touch.

Diclonius
16-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Didn’t even realise Murphy was playing yesterday.No impact.

Which is interesting because when he was at Motherwell he seemed to score against us just about every time we played them.

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2018, 05:31 PM
I bet that Brendan Rogers is fair crapping himself over this signing.

Is there much difference between this signing and someone like Scott Sinclair?

bingo70
16-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Yes, they’re completely different players.

Just because they were signed from the same league that doesn’t mean anything.

RoscoHibby
16-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Arfield agreed terms with rangers couple of months ago. Fell out with Sean dyche some time ago and was always going to leave when contract up, got back in the team few months ago due to injuries, didn't play much at all when injured returned. 24k a week they're paying him.
My Mrs works with his brother. Who is sick as comes from a big Celtic family.

CMurdoch
16-05-2018, 05:48 PM
As everyone says they are paying inflated wages for decent but unexciting players.
Additionally the players signed are in their late 20's to mid 30's and are on long contracts.

They will finish 2nd next season but well behind Celtic

blaikie
16-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Totally different pedigree, Sinclair at Swansea was immense and won his big money move to Man City. Granted things didn’t work out well he ended up on loan at a few basket case clubs like villa before moving north still in his prime at 27.

Arfield on the other hand is on the downward spiral, played a big part for Burnley in the championship a few years ago but since has had injury after injury and ended up put on loan and hasn’t really done anything of note.

Sinclair has a resale value abiet depreciating due to his age, I can’t really say the same for Arfield.

Dashing Bob S
16-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Totally different pedigree, Sinclair at Swansea was immense and won his big money move to Man City. Granted things didn’t work out well he ended up on loan at a few basket case clubs like villa before moving north still in his prime at 27.

Arfield on the other hand is on the downward spiral, played a big part for Burnley in the championship a few years ago but since has had injury after injury and ended up put on loan and hasn’t really done anything of note.

Sinclair has a resale value abiet depreciating due to his age, I can’t really say the same for Arfield.

I love the scent of crocked veteran wage thief when it comes from the coffers of our rivals. And this years Larry Kingston award goes to..,

blaikie
16-05-2018, 06:03 PM
I love the scent of crocked veteran wage thief when it comes from the coffers of our rivals. And this years Larry Kingston award goes to..,

I’d hold off on the awards, the Huns are partial to an aging marquee signing or two.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2018, 09:04 PM

i think you may be confused. Arfield has played 85 Premier League games in the past three seasons. He has never been on loan. scott arfield burnley stats by season

Granted he has only played 18 Prem games this season.

Lets face it, he’s an established player at a very high standard. 29 is usually a players peak and hardly a veteran. My surprise is wtf is he doing going to a ****ty club like the Huns?

blaikie
17-05-2018, 01:21 AM
i think you may be confused. Arfield has played 85 Premier League games in the past three seasons. He has never been on loan. scott arfield burnley stats by season

Lets face it, he’s an established player at a very high standard. 29 is usually a players peak and hardly a veteran. My surprise is wtf is he doing going to a ****ty club like the Huns?

For some reason I thought he was out on loan last season, if he was so established in the Premiership why was he never on the radar for the Scottish National squad, His premier league stats are very much on par with Dorrans who to be fair hasn’t really done much up here. I think it’s a poor signing for them and won’t really get them any closer to Celtic or further away from us and Aberdeen.

SanFranHibs
17-05-2018, 01:31 AM
I have seen a fair bit of Arfield down here, he's a good solid player, and will improve them.

He's no Messi, but he is a decent player.

You had to spoil the party :greengrin

Yes, he's not bad and is probably at a level to compete with the teams Rangers are actually competing against.....us and Aberdeen.

But as someone above said, it is doubtful Rogers will be too concerned, at least at this point.

calumhibee1
17-05-2018, 05:17 AM

That award will go to Bruno Alves until he leaves. Highest paid player in the league apparently and can’t get a start ahead of Russel Martin, David Bates or Ross McCrory

Tyler Durden
17-05-2018, 06:17 AM
For some reason I thought he was out on loan last season, if he was so established in the Premiership why was he never on the radar for the Scottish National squad, His premier league stats are very much on par with Dorrans who to be fair hasn’t really done much up here. I think it’s a poor signing for them and won’t really get them any closer to Celtic or further away from us and Aberdeen.

He plays for Canada.

I agree with you though he’s not going move then forward much. Candeias has been very effective for them when you look at his stats (not so much against us or Celtic) and whilst he’s good in front of goal Arfield isn’t much better than what they have.

It’s centre backs and genuine wide players with pace that Rangers need. And a midfield enforcer

Sir David Gray
17-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Despite playing for Scotland at various youth levels he never received a call up to the senior squad and so switched allegiances to Canada in 2016, which is his father's place of birth. He's played for them ever since.

The fact that he got to the age of 27 without anyone in Scotland picking him is probably more down to the incompetence of the national set up we have here, rather than it being down to a lack of ability on Arfield's behalf.

jacomo
17-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Can only assume Joey Barton told him what a wonderful experience it is to play for the Rangers.

Shoo in for POTY too.

:wink:

TheGreenMan
17-05-2018, 11:40 AM
If we signed him we'd be delighted. Good signing.

jgl07
17-05-2018, 01:40 PM

I thought he was signing for the Yams? Said so on Kickback.

blaikie
17-05-2018, 01:56 PM
I thought he was signing for the Yams? Said so on Kickback.

Clearly Buffon is going to them.

JeMeSouviens
17-05-2018, 02:41 PM

But they've already got loads of Buffoons.

Scott Allan Key
17-05-2018, 02:42 PM

A buffoon is signing for the Yams.

blaikie
17-05-2018, 05:06 PM
But they've already got loads of Buffoons.

Always room for one more down Gorgie road!

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Putting Rangers back into the Rangers.