PDA

View Full Version : MacLaren cut from World Cup squad

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 05:22 AM
Yep, just hours after scoring a hat trick!

MSK
14-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Yep, just hours after scoring a hat trick!Thats a bummer for the lad, done well for us since signing, he must be gutted.

SlickShoes
14-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Who have they kept in?

Hibby70
14-05-2018, 05:33 AM
Might improve our chances of getting him I suppose (slightly)

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Might improve our chances of getting him I suppose (slightly)

Nah, article out here indicating there has been interest from Championship clubs, and that he is keen to move there...no direct quotes from Jamie thoughto be fair, so could be tosh, but championship clubs seem more likely to match his current wages than us.

RoxburghHibs
14-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Nah, article out here indicating there has been interest from Championship clubs, and that he is keen to move there...no direct quotes from Jamie thoughto be fair, so could be tosh, but championship clubs seem more likely to match his current wages than us.
If true then being cut defo helps our cause. If he did go to the WC and scored a goal or two he’d 100% get snapped up.

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 05:50 AM
If true then being cut defo helps our cause. If he did go to the WC and scored a goal or two he’d 100% get snapped up.

The press have released the names of the players cut, AHEAD of the press conference, which is due tomorrow(Tuesday) our time....breaching a press embargo presumably.

Unless Marwijk changes his mind overnight, and he should after Jamie’s hat trick.......he’s out.

Not clever enough to attach the link....but SBS TV The World Game’ site has the article in it...sure a google will get it.

JimBHibees
14-05-2018, 05:53 AM
The press have released the names of the players cut, AHEAD of the press conference, which is due tomorrow(Tuesday) our time....breaching a press embargo presumably.

Unless Marwijk changes his mind overnight, and he should after Jamie’s hat trick.......he’s out.

Not clever enough to attach the link....but SBS TV The World Game’ site has the article in it...sure a google will get it.

Jamie's interview after the game he mentioned looking forward to a holiday with no mention of WC so assume he already knew his fate.

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Dunno how to amend the thread title to add the words....”according to press report in Oz’

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 05:57 AM
theworldgame.sbs.com.au

Google the above for the site

lapsedhibee
14-05-2018, 06:05 AM
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 06:05 AM
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/jubilation-to-anguish-for-maclaren-as-world-cup-door-slams-shut

Hopefully that link is obtainable....

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 06:15 AM
Jamie's interview after the game he mentioned looking forward to a holiday with no mention of WC so assume he already knew his fate.

Possibly JIm, but I see the breaking of the embargo by David Lewis, the journalist, as possibly a way to get Marwijk to change his mind overnight, prior to the official announcement.

Its not as if anyone else is scoring ....

The coach Marwijk, comes across as a person who relies too much on his support staff.

He added a full back who was born in Croatia and has not set foot in Australia, but has an Aussie passport, to the squad and when asked what he saw in him, admitted that he had not seen him play once, but was relying on the advice of his assistant Ante Milicic who is based there.

I can understand a club side relying on scouts, but given its the world cup just around the corner it seems a strange way to do business.

There has been a good deal of coverage since the final whistle yesterday, and I think this could be a hot topic in the next 14 hours or so, , so maybe, just maybe Jamie will sneak back in as an éxtra' squad member for the camp in turkey...we'll see.

Ryan69
14-05-2018, 06:37 AM
Possibly JIm, but I see the breaking of the embargo by David Lewis, the journalist, as possibly a way to get Marwijk to change his mind overnight, prior to the official announcement.

Its not as if anyone else is scoring ....

The coach Marwijk, comes across as a person who relies too much on his support staff.

He added a full back who was born in Croatia and has not set foot in Australia, but has an Aussie passport, to the squad and when asked what he saw in him, admitted that he had not seen him play once, but was relying on the advice of his assistant Ante Milicic who is based there.

I can understand a club side relying on scouts, but given its the world cup just around the corner it seems a strange way to do business.

There has been a good deal of coverage since the final whistle yesterday, and I think this could be a hot topic in the next 14 hours or so, , so maybe, just maybe Jamie will sneak back in as an éxtra' squad member for the camp in turkey...we'll see.

Clever enough to take his country to an World Cup final however.

Jim44
14-05-2018, 06:44 AM

I thought he also was quite non-committal when asked about staying at Hibs. I think he said something about a break and see what happens.

Ps. He did mention his parent club’s involvement.

Forza Fred
14-05-2018, 07:00 AM

If it is the coach you are referring to then no...firstly he’s Dutch, and secondly he was appointed AFTER Australia had qualified and the coach who took them through the qualifying stages resigned to take over a club in the J League.

Unless of course, noting your location, you are referring to when he took Holland to the World Cup, In which case it is yes although I hazards guess that he had seen every one of his last 32 play, before calling them into camp.

Sylar
14-05-2018, 07:29 AM

I see it as being the opposite. Isn't this the second time he's been cut from a squad since he joined us?

If so, he'll probably be considering a move that might bring him more into the spotlight for frequent international callups that will stick.

Ryan69
14-05-2018, 07:32 AM
If it is the coach you are referring to then no...firstly he’s Dutch, and secondly he was appointed AFTER Australia had qualified and the coach who took them through the qualifying stages resigned to take over a club in the J League.

Unless of course, noting your location, you are referring to when he took Holland to the World Cup, In which case it is yes although I hazards guess that he had seen every one of his last 32 play, before calling them into camp.

I thought the World Cup Final was the give away there

Ozyhibby
14-05-2018, 07:35 AM

He wasn’t the coach who got them there I don’t think, beside it’s a lot easier for Australia to qualify than European countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souter96Mac
14-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Surprised he's been cut, I don't think he's been amazing recently, but he's certainly been scoring goals in big games. Would surely give him a chance, but unlucky Jamie