PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels - Part Two (The Rangers 13th May 2018)

Jonnyboy
13-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Normally at this point, I’d offer up my thoughts on how each player performed but before I do that I’d like to offer a few thoughts on the aftermath to the game. With it being the final game of the season and with it quite probably being the final game for Hibs by a number of the players it was interesting to study the body language as the players and Neil Lennon made their way around the pitch. Obviously, Dylan is going and he took his time in applauding the home support and thanking them for their backing. It’s highly likely that we won’t see either Barker or Maclaren back next season, though I’d love to see them both return while SJM, who’d had a quiet and frustrating outing, looked to be offering a last thank you too.

The one person that stood out the most to me was the Manager. He walked round with the players and applauded the home support in all four stands before individually hugging each of his players in turn, while seemingly offering them a few words. It looked to me like he might be saying thank you and goodbye and taken together with his bizarre reaction to the equaliser I wondered whether he was for the off. I hope not and so do the vast majority of the fans there today who, on a number of occasions, chanted “There’s only one Neil Lennon.”

The players

Rocky – Ofir may be the only goalie ever to have conceded five goals and yet run his team mates close for my man of the match award! Never stood a chance with any of the goals and made two crucial saves near the end that helped us secure the draw.

Whitty – He’s been getting a fair bit of stick from some quarters and being part of a defence that shipped five goals isn’t going to help his cause but today he was largely ok I thought.

Efe – I’m not sure why Daz was dropped but Efe and Paul just doesn’t work for me. I thought the big fella was hung out to dry on a few occasions and it cannot be forgotten that the majority of goals conceded came right through the middle.

Paul – Like Efe he was not at his best today although on one particular occasion, leading to the second goal for the Rangers, he was invited by SJM to slide in a sideways pass. Paul duly obliged only to find that SJM had surged forward and so possession was lost.

Lewis – After his totally out of character performance on Wednesday he was much more like his old self today both defensively and offensively. Provided excellent crosses for both the second and third of our goals today and more than once he bailed out either Efe or Paul by tucking in.

Slivka – I thought he was excellent today, especially in the first half and he worked his socks off for the whole ninety minutes, earning my man of the match award. I’m looking forward to him becoming a regular starter next season.

Dylan – I’m pretty sure Dylan runs on Duracell batteries as he just never stops moving from start to finish. As usual he gave of his best in trying to push Hibs forward and I really think we’ll miss him next season.

Scotty – In that opening twenty one minutes he was pretty much unplayable and the Rangers had to resort to hacking him down to stop him. I really enjoyed his goal celebration but I’m not sure the visiting fans did!

SJM – It’s been a long and hard season for SJM and his performances in both the Derby and today tell me he needs a complete break away from the physical side of football. Never really got going against the Rangers and a few too many wayward passes add fuel to my suggestion re a break.

Jamie – My pal says if Jamie had a better first touch he’d score more goals and while he may have a point, it’s hard to think negatively about a striker that scores a hat trick. The laddie is a bundle of never ending energy and hauls defenders out of position all the time. If, however you are the Manager of Darmstadt and are reading this, he was and is rubbish.

Flo – Another who is fuelled by Duracell and despite the fact he took a few heavy hits today he just got up and got on with it. If the stories are true that his signature is already in the bag then that is one helluva good piece of business.

Brandon – Came on with around twenty five minutes to play and got himself involved from the off. His run past Tavernier and subsequent low ball to Jamie for the fifth goal was outstanding. I’d love him back next season but sadly can’t see it.

Daz – Is it just a coincidence that the arrival of Daz with twenty minutes left brought a halt to the Rangers scoring? He and Paul look very assured together and he is, in my mind, ideally suited to the back three alongside Efe and Paul which begs the question again, why did we change it?

Danny – Got his usual cameo and flitted about well, getting involved and probing the Rangers defence. It’s not clear whether he’ll still be with us next season but if he is, he’ll be hoping for a lot more playing time.

Neil – I made a point of studying him today and felt that he was far more subdued on the bench than he usually is. The bizarre and no doubt punishable celebration, together with what looked like farewell hugs for the players could just mean he’s on his way. As I said earlier, I hope not as he’s given us great enjoyment this season, a fight to the end for second place and a record haul of Scottish Premiership points.

Andrew Dallas – One thing that struck me today is that referees are never going to get any better if he’s reached the heights he’s reached whilst being a very poor official.

You lot – Finally, this is my last offering of the season. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading them as much as I’ve enjoyed writing them.

Edit: Just had my first look at the messageboard since about ten this morning and it seems Neil is staying!! Delighted and apologies for my misreading of his situation.

danhibees1875
13-05-2018, 04:30 PM
A fitting finish to the season for you - a brilliant 2 piece analysis of today and hard to argue with any of it (other than the Neil Lennon stuff!).

Thanks for the updates throughout the year - they've been great for games I've missed and a worthy recap of games I've seen. :aok:

Jonnyboy
13-05-2018, 04:32 PM
A fitting finish to the season for you - a brilliant 2 piece analysis of today and hard to argue with any of it (other than the Neil Lennon stuff!).

Thanks for the updates throughout the year - they've been great for games I've missed and a worthy recap of games I've seen. :aok:

:greengrin

I left the house at ten this morning and hadn't heard about Neil's words. Also, I make a point of not reading anything post match until after I've written my This is how it feels!

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated :aok:

snooky
13-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Many thanks for all your reports, Jonnyboy. They've been a joy to read. :aok:

BroxburnHibee
13-05-2018, 04:37 PM
John.....sincerest thanks for taking the time to do this over the season.

I know it's something you enjoy and the admin team are eternally grateful you were happy to do it.

It's been a brilliant addition to the site, so much so I can't wait to read your reports after the games.

Have a great summer pal. You've earned it :greengrin

hibee_girl
13-05-2018, 04:38 PM

I know it's something you enjoy and the admin team are eternally grateful you were happy to do it.

It's been a brilliant addition to the site, so much so I can't wait to read your reports after the games.

Can only echo this, you've been absolutely brilliant. :top marks

Hope you continue to do them next season for us :greengrin

bythecringe
13-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Many thanks for all your reports, Jonnyboy. They've been a joy to read. :aok:

Thanks for the thoughtful and passionate reports on the matches this season. They are my main source of info on Hibs games as I won’t read the drivel in the SMSM.
Look forward to you and Neil (hopefully) being back next season.

CMac1988
13-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Always enjoy your analysis and the time and effort you put in to them. Rarely disagree with you overall assessment although the pessimist in me sometimes disagrees with the optimist in you in regards to player ratings. ;)

Thanks.

Franck Stanton
13-05-2018, 04:48 PM
This item is the first i look for after a game, really well written and, as I don't get to many away games, are the only account I have any faith in, so thanks for a tremendous effort and l o n g may you continue.

ancient hibee
13-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Another first rate analysis.Thanks very much.

Thecat23
13-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Normally at this point, I’d offer up my thoughts on how each player performed but before I do that I’d like to offer a few thoughts on the aftermath to the game. With it being the final game of the season and with it quite probably being the final game for Hibs by a number of the players it was interesting to study the body language as the players and Neil Lennon made their way around the pitch. Obviously, Dylan is going and he took his time in applauding the home support and thanking them for their backing. It’s highly likely that we won’t see either Barker or Maclaren back next season, though I’d love to see them both return while SJM, who’d had a quiet and frustrating outing, looked to be offering a last thank you too.

The one person that stood out the most to me was the Manager. He walked round with the players and applauded the home support in all four stands before individually hugging each of his players in turn, while seemingly offering them a few words. It looked to me like he might be saying thank you and goodbye and taken together with his bizarre reaction to the equaliser I wondered whether he was for the off. I hope not and so do the vast majority of the fans there today who, on a number of occasions, chanted “There’s only one Neil Lennon.”

The players

Rocky – Ofir may be the only goalie ever to have conceded five goals and yet run his team mates close for my man of the match award! Never stood a chance with any of the goals and made two crucial saves near the end that helped us secure the draw.

Whitty – He’s been getting a fair bit of stick from some quarters and being part of a defence that shipped five goals isn’t going to help his cause but today he was largely ok I thought.

Efe – I’m not sure why Daz was dropped but Efe and Paul just doesn’t work for me. I thought the big fella was hung out to dry on a few occasions and it cannot be forgotten that the majority of goals conceded came right through the middle.

Paul – Like Efe he was not at his best today although on one particular occasion, leading to the second goal for the Rangers, he was invited by SJM to slide in a sideways pass. Paul duly obliged only to find that SJM had surged forward and so possession was lost.

Lewis – After his totally out of character performance on Wednesday he was much more like his old self today both defensively and offensively. Provided excellent crosses for both the second and third of our goals today and more than once he bailed out either Efe or Paul by tucking in.

Slivka – I thought he was excellent today, especially in the first half and he worked his socks off for the whole ninety minutes, earning my man of the match award. I’m looking forward to him becoming a regular starter next season.

Dylan – I’m pretty sure Dylan runs on Duracell batteries as he just never stops moving from start to finish. As usual he gave of his best in trying to push Hibs forward and I really think we’ll miss him next season.

Scotty – In that opening twenty one minutes he was pretty much unplayable and the Rangers had to resort to hacking him down to stop him. I really enjoyed his goal celebration but I’m not sure the visiting fans did!

SJM – It’s been a long and hard season for SJM and his performances in both the Derby and today tell me he needs a complete break away from the physical side of football. Never really got going against the Rangers and a few too many wayward passes add fuel to my suggestion re a break.

Jamie – My pal says if Jamie had a better first touch he’d score more goals and while he may have a point, it’s hard to think negatively about a striker that scores a hat trick. The laddie is a bundle of never ending energy and hauls defenders out of position all the time. If, however you are the Manager of Darmstadt and are reading this, he was and is rubbish.

Flo – Another who is fuelled by Duracell and despite the fact he took a few heavy hits today he just got up and got on with it. If the stories are true that his signature is already in the bag then that is one helluva good piece of business.

Brendan – Came on with around twenty five minutes to play and got himself involved from the off. His run past Tavernier and subsequent low ball to Jamie for the fifth goal was outstanding. I’d love him back next season but sadly can’t see it.

Daz – Is it just a coincidence that the arrival of Daz with twenty minutes left brought a halt to the Rangers scoring? He and Paul look very assured together and he is, in my mind, ideally suited to the back three alongside Efe and Paul which begs the question again, why did we change it?

Danny – Got his usual cameo and flitted about well, getting involved and probing the Rangers defence. It’s not clear whether he’ll still be with us next season but if he is, he’ll be hoping for a lot more playing time.

Neil – I made a point of studying him today and felt that he was far more subdued on the bench than he usually is. The bizarre and no doubt punishable celebration, together with what looked like farewell hugs for the players could just mean he’s on his way. As I said earlier, I hope not as he’s given us great enjoyment this season, a fight to the end for second place and a record haul of Scottish Premiership points.

Andrew Dallas – One thing that struck me today is that referees are never going to get any better if he’s reached the heights he’s reached whilst being a very poor official.

You lot – Finally, this is my last offering of the season. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading them as much as I’ve enjoyed writing them.

Edit: Just had my first look at the messageboard since about ten this morning and it seems Neil is staying!! Delighted and apologies for my misreading of his situation.

I’ve really enjoyed all of your posts after the match’s this season. Sometimes I may not agree with how players played but always a fair assessment I think.

Look forward to next season and more of the same 👍🏼

BigT-Hibeez
13-05-2018, 05:10 PM

The players

Brendan – Came on with around twenty five minutes to play and got himself involved from the off. His run past Tavernier and subsequent low ball to Jamie for the fifth goal was outstanding. I’d love him back next season but sadly can’t see it.

Your posts are the first thing I look for here after each game, especially the away games as i'm a home games only guy.. Hibs class :flag:

PeeJay
13-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Good summing up of the game as ever - too many mistakes today obviously - was great entertainment though, for a minute or two hitting them for six looked almost on ... great to see the team fight to the end to secure a point ....

WestStandWillie
13-05-2018, 05:56 PM

The players

Fair review except for Dylan. I thought he’s been poor thr last couple of matches. Dinnae ken if his vision is impaired by the mask but his passing wis suspect.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Enjoyed reading your post match views JB, and the catch up at the matches most weeks

Great report as always, but think today’s could have been about 10 pages or so!
What a game, other than the 6-6 game, can’t remember another like it

Until next season then

Crazyhorse
13-05-2018, 06:39 PM
:greengrin

I left the house at ten this morning and hadn't heard about Neil's words. Also, I make a point of not reading anything post match until after I've written my This is how it feels!

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated :aok:

Haven't mentioned it before but I've enjoyed your post-match reflections this year. For those of us a long way from Edinburgh and who only manage to get to a couple of games a season it is good to get an extended hibee view of a game unmediated by the usual Press garbage. Have a good summer and I look forward to reading you next year!

Onceinawhile
13-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Thanks johnnyboy 👍 as usual a good read.

Glad to see you thought rocky had a good game too, the people behind me were slating him and wanted him subbed. Because he didn't save the first. Mental.

Jim Herriot
13-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Jonnyboy - Many thanks for your excellent summaries. Enjoyed them greatly, and am looking forward to next season's series.

Eyrie
13-05-2018, 06:47 PM
When I've been at the game, I've always found your reports to be fair and accurate.

When I haven't, I've always checked your reports to see what I've missed.

Thanks for this year, and I'm looking forward to next year's reports already.

HNA7
13-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Thanks again for your match reports this season John, they've been brilliant.

We might not know about Dylan, SJM, Flo, Jamie, Efe and Brandon next season, but I can confirm that Jonnyboy has been signed up again for next season's "This Is How It Feels" :aok:

Jonnyboy
13-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Thank you all for the positive feedback, it's much appreciated.

As HNA7 says, I've signed up again for next season :aok:

Billy Whizz
13-05-2018, 09:11 PM

One or two year deal?

Jonnyboy
13-05-2018, 09:12 PM
One or two year deal?

Dunno, ask my agent :faf:

Pretty Boy
13-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Can only echo what others have said. Always enjoy the reports and delighted they will be around for at least another season.

Joe6-2
13-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Well done JB, always a good read!

Lancs Harp
13-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Just like to add my thanks for your match reports too Johnny, as an exile not able to get to as many matches as I would like, your reports are always very welcome. :thumbsup:

O'Rourke3
13-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Cheers JB. Accurate as always. Only one question, who is Brendan :faf:

CraigHibee
13-05-2018, 09:44 PM
re: darren mcgregor, heard on friday from someone i work with (who is a relative of one of the team) said that mcgregors father in law passed away on Wednesday and he was at hospital most of wednesday as well, can imagine his mind would have been elsewhere and needed a bit of time off.

PapillonVert
13-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Thank you, John, for your untiring ability to (a) go to just about every Hibs' match and then (b) produce a well-written and interesting report within about five and a half seconds of the final whistle! You really have the knack of telling us Hibbies how things were at the game.

I proudly renew my season ticket each year even though I live in 'saf' London and have some health issues which make it difficult to travel up as much as I would like to the Holy Ground and so having these on-line facilities where I can keep in touch is a great boon and one which I really appreciate.

Many thanks, John, and more power to your keyboard for next year, Sir!

Jonnyboy
13-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Cheers JB. Accurate as always. Only one question, who is Brendan :faf:

:faf: Ooops

matty_f
13-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks for these JB, first report I look for on matchdays.

ozhibs
13-05-2018, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the after match reports I enjoy reading them even if I have watched the game on Hibs TV :flag::flag::flag:

poolman
14-05-2018, 01:36 AM

Was it a Bosman 😀

JimBHibees
14-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Always find these reports an excellent read and very accurate to the games I go to. Keep up the good work. :aok:

Benny Brazil
14-05-2018, 08:40 AM

I'll second this - always a great read from the great man! First post I usually look for after a game whether I've been to the game or not.
Please make sure Jonnyboy is persuaded to come back next season - one of Hibs.nets best signings ☺

Bobby's Cinema
14-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Says it all that I look out for this most weeks and haven’t read an official match report all season. Keep it up

CockneyRebel
14-05-2018, 09:02 AM
I'll second this - always a great read from the great man! First post I usually look for after a game whether I've been to the game or not.
Please make sure Jonnyboy is persuaded to come back next season - one of Hibs.nets best signings ☺

My only complaint is that he gives such a fair and comprehensive match report that there's very little to argue about so the thread is much shorter than it deserves. Could you please, occasionall, insert a few arguable comments and I will get tore in!

Curried
14-05-2018, 09:58 AM
I’d just like to say thanks Jonny for taking the time to give us all a brilliant summary of each game played this season.

Like a few others on here I watch/listen to most games live on HibsTV, but the next morning I’m always looking for your post and take on the match…..it’s always a good read even if we’ve lost!

I hope you can do it again for us next season:-)

Jonnyboy
14-05-2018, 02:45 PM
My only complaint is that he gives such a fair and comprehensive match report that there's very little to argue about so the thread is much shorter than it deserves. Could you please, occasionall, insert a few arguable comments and I will get tore in!

I’ll see what I can do :greengrin

Thanks again for all the positive feedback

BSEJVT
14-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Would add to all the other votes of thanks

Really enjoy this feature of Hibs Net

hibby6270
15-05-2018, 01:23 PM
A belated thanks JB for your sterling work this season. Much appreciated.

Oh and btw, that Bosman rule can go take a run and jump. You’re on a lifetime contract and there’s nae chance of a lucrative deal elsewhere even if you have been courted by the DR in the West. :greengrin:greengrin

Long may your reports continue.

cjward2
15-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the work you do on the JB. I always hold back my judgement of the game until after I've read your report as I only get to watch/listen from afar.
Looking forward to another season.:flag:

Keith_M
15-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Thanks once again for a most enjoyable summary, JB.

I'd like to echo your thoughts on just how rubbish Kamberi is.

The manager of Grasshoppers would have to be mad to want him back :wink: