PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Summer transfer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Inconsequential
06-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Hear hearIs it not here, here? But yes I agree.

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Is it not here, here? But yes I agree.

Hear here.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Is it not here, here? But yes I agree.

No, it's neither.

It's hear, hear.

DavidDavidGray
06-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Isn’t it funny how everyone beloved bleed green when he was saying what we wanted to hear, but the minute he says someone we don’t necessarily want to sign might everyone assumes he’s lying?

06-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Well, just as an example, if we turned dowm £3m for him and he went for free next summer, even allowing for St Mirrens cut that would be the equivalent of paying around £40,000 a week in addition to his wages to keep him at the club. For that reason he will be sold this window if there is an anyway acceptable offer for him.

And it would be like paying it to Celtic (or whoever he ends up with) to have him on loan for the season...but it might be worth it.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Isn’t it funny how everyone beloved bleed green when he was saying what we wanted to hear, but the minute he says someone we don’t necessarily want to sign might everyone assumes he’s lying?

Did everyone love him?

Does everyone assume he's lying?

Inconsequential
06-08-2018, 07:48 PM
No, it's neither.

It's hear, hear. What did you hear... here? :confused:

DavidDavidGray
06-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Did everyone love him?

Seemingly, yes

bingo70
06-08-2018, 07:54 PM
https://www.brfcs.com/mb/uploads/monthly_2018_08/CA359717-17DC-4EEC-8976-23E12ABDF8E4.jpeg.ca9d296fa9fa5c5b20e24d69a5613b1e .jpeg

Doubt if that link will work however I’ve no idea how else to post it so it’ll need to do.

Anyway, if not, it’s basically the Blackburn Rovers equivalent of hibs.net and someone has posted a screenshot of a tweet from the local journalist saying there’s something in the link with SJM. Going by the replies it sounds like it’s their equivalent of David Hardie as he’s the local reporter down there and doesn’t normally get involved in speculation about a player unless there’s something in it.

Might be one to keep an eye on over the next day or two.

West lower
06-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Got to think having McGinn in our squad for the rest of the season is worth more than any money Celtic will offer. I've been to Blackburn friendly, 2 European home games and watched both away ties ( I know how never played first leg versus Runavik) but he makes us play and unless we are getting serious money then honestly he should remain for the season!!

That’s all ok , but I believe John is giving everything in the knowledge he is going.

Springbank
06-08-2018, 08:07 PM
https://www.brfcs.com/mb/uploads/monthly_2018_08/CA359717-17DC-4EEC-8976-23E12ABDF8E4.jpeg.ca9d296fa9fa5c5b20e24d69a5613b1e .jpeg

Doubt if that link will work however I’ve no idea how else to post it so it’ll need to do.

Anyway, if not, it’s basically the Blackburn Rovers equivalent of hibs.net and someone has posted a screenshot of a tweet from the local journalist saying there’s something in the link with SJM. Going by the replies it sounds like it’s their equivalent of David Hardie as he’s the local reporter down there and doesn’t normally get involved in speculation about a player unless there’s something in it.

Might be one to keep an eye on over the next day or two.

well théy play partly in blue.

bleed green may point out...

brog
06-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Well, just as an example, if we turned dowm £3m for him and he went for free next summer, even allowing for St Mirrens cut that would be the equivalent of paying around £40,000 a week in addition to his wages to keep him at the club. For that reason he will be sold this window if there is an anyway acceptable offer for him.

I don't disagree with what you're saying but events on the pitch can have a great effect on our club, both playing wise & economically. In the 2 full seasons since 21/5/16 we've played 37 league games at home & our average attendance was approx 7,500 more than in 2015/16 season. Based on £20 a head that works out roughly at an extra £5.5m we have taken through the gates in those 2 seasons. Too often we've taken the short term view instead of looking at long term benefits. Selling GOC outside our transfer window when we were in a cup semi final versus them is a perfect illustration of that. If we had won that game we were in a final against Gretna & just possibly we could have been in our current euphoric, cup winning state 10 years earlier with all the attendant benefits.

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2018, 08:22 PM
well théy play partly in blue.

bleed green may point out...

Wouldnt that be funny

Ken
06-08-2018, 08:23 PM
I couldn’t be anymore relaxed about the situation.

Leeann won’t sell on the cheap and if SJM stays he will remain professional until his very last day at the club.

A fantastic professional and will rightly leave the club a legend whenever that day comes.

If we get £2.5m-3m then that money will cover 2 top quality players at the higher end of our wage structure on 3 year deals (minimal transfer fees if any)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beefster
06-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Did everyone love him?

No.

Dunno but count me in.

ryantaylor
06-08-2018, 08:25 PM
That’s all ok , but I believe John is giving everything in the knowledge he is going.

Could be but John has always given us everything and now without McGeough you can see how much of an impact he has on our team. To lose them both in the same window leaving us little time to pick up a replacement for SJM can prove to be very difficult.

Gmack7
06-08-2018, 08:32 PM
we'd have about 3 weeks to replace him

justlikebrazil
06-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Just maybe Aston Villa sell Jack Grealish before Thursday for big money and then bid for Mcginn. Just maybe 😉

ryantaylor
06-08-2018, 08:46 PM

3 weeks to find a John McGinn type player though. He's not a random player that you come across often he's a special kind of player that has everything,m finding a player like SJM in 3 weeks is a tough ask.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Hopefully not on a perm otherwise one of our number is filing for bankruptcy.He will be calling the administrator as we speak [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

steakbake
06-08-2018, 08:48 PM

I’d imagine they’d have figured out their targets for replacement. If he leaves, that won’t be the first time they’ve thought of it.

Joe6-2
06-08-2018, 08:49 PM
3 weeks to find a John McGinn type player though. He's not a random player that you come across often he's a special kind of player that has everything,m finding a player like SJM in 3 weeks is a tough ask.

It certainly would be tough, but it’s something we might have to face

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Free agent... looking for someone to come in with a bit of fightYou've blown it now mate...your cover is gone

hibee1875
06-08-2018, 08:51 PM

I’m sure the recruitment team already have a list of suitable candidates.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2018, 08:53 PM
So McGinn to sign for Everton tomorrow thenAnd all because Stubbsy recommended him too [emoji6][emoji85]

Hibbyradge
06-08-2018, 08:59 PM

Do you think SJMs possible transfer is a surprise to Hibs?

Or do you think they might already have replacement targets in mind?

Smartie
06-08-2018, 09:02 PM
It'll be a bit of a minter for Bleed Green if SJM doesn't join Everton tomorrow.

DetroitHibs
06-08-2018, 09:07 PM
If McGinn stays, Celtic might not be in such a great position 12 months from now. McGinn could easily end up POTH and have a blinding season. When teams in the EPL find out he's free, might be a much better prospect.

ryantaylor
06-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Absolutely believe Hibs have a few names lined up but if SJM goes on the last day of the English window then what time do we have to find a replacement as I'm sure the majority of English clubs won't want to lose any players after their window has closed. I don't believe a loan suits us as a replacement.

06-08-2018, 09:09 PM
It'll be a bit of a minter for Bleed Green if SJM doesn't join Everton tomorrow.

It seems Bleed Green has vanished back into the shadows from whence he appeared....or he's just logged off for the day and will be back again tomorrow with more revelations.

Onceinawhile
06-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Absolutely believe Hibs have a few names lined up but if SJM goes on the last day of the English window then what time do we have to find a replacement as I'm sure the majority of English clubs won't want to lose any players after their window has closed. I don't believe a loan suits us as a replacement.

It's only the premier league that shuts, we'll still be able to buy from the lower leagues.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-08-2018, 09:11 PM
If Mcginn goes i hope its tomorrow or Wed.

ALL our focus on Thurs should be on our hugely important and very winnable Europa qualifier

Cod Boy
06-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Everton on the verge of signing a Brazilian midfielder from Shakhtar.

ryantaylor
It's only the premier league that shuts, we'll still be able to buy from the lower leagues.

Ahh I see, I thought it was all English leagues.

Gordy M

And the premiership as well. They cant sign anyone but they can sell....or loan outshould they wish to.

BoomtownHibees

We can buy from the EPL as well

CallumLaidlaw
06-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Everton on the verge of signing a Brazilian midfielder from Shakhtar.

He’s a small, fast winger

hibee1875
06-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Or they’ll be desperate to get players off their wage bill who they’ve no intention of playing.

hibee1875
06-08-2018, 09:26 PM

The window is shut for buying. Not selling to countries governed by other associations.

It’s not just the PL it’s all leagues governed by the FA

CallumLaidlaw
06-08-2018, 09:30 PM
The window is shut for buying. Not selling to countries governed by other associations.

It’s not just the PL it’s all leagues governed by the FA

It’s only a soft window in the EFL tho. They can still loan players in after Thursday with a clause to make it permanent on 1st January, so technically will still be permanent deals done in English lower leagues after Thursday.

hibee1875
06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
It’s only a soft window in the EFL tho. They can still loan players in after Thursday with a clause to make it permanent on 1st January, so technically will still be permanent deals done in English lower leagues after Thursday.

Didn’t realise that. Was hoping if Barker was still at City after Thurs there would be a good chance he’d be back with us. But if clubs can still loan I suppose he could really go anywhere.

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:36 PM
McGinn to villa

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3033240/john-mcginn-celtic-aston-villa-hibs/

Scooter
06-08-2018, 09:41 PM
McGinn to villa

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3033240/john-mcginn-celtic-aston-villa-hibs/

I had a search for John McGinn on Twitter earlier and there seemed to be a few tweets about this. Someone even asked paddy power for odds

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:43 PM
I had a search for John McGinn on Twitter earlier and there seemed to be a few tweets about this. Someone even asked paddy power for odds

Would be a good move for all parties imo.

Villa are getting a very good player at a cheap price
McGinn gets a move to a big team that will be challenging for premiership
Hibs get the amount McGinn is valued at

06-08-2018, 09:44 PM
SJM's dilemma is that his (supposed) 1st choice club aren't too fussed about getting him, and neither are most of their fans. It seems to me that Celtic see SJM as a bit of a punt otherwise they'd have made bids a bit closer to our valuation.

There is therefore a risk he'll be on the bench a lot of the time if he goes there, which could hinder his development and perhaps harm his Scotland prospects.

Alternatively he can stay at Hibs, play nearly every match, develop a bit more, play for Scotland, be a superstar in the Scottish game for 5 months and then get himself a big move to the EPL in January.

I previously thought if an English club didn't come in for him now we should try and squeeze a bit more out of Celtic however I am now beginning to think if we don't get a good enough offer before Thursday we should tell Celtic to shove it. It is not out of the question we could get a better offer in January if he excels between now and then and if a couple of EPL clubs want him. Accepted, he might sign a pre-contract with Celtic.

Whatever the outcome, I'll be happy with what Leeann and co decide.

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 09:46 PM
McGinn to villa

That'll be playing in blue the way 79 minutes is 70 minutes ;)
At this point I'm guessing that if McGinn signs for Liverpool people would be on telling us that red is blue if you're colour blind.....ooooo.....cryptic.

Jack Hackett
06-08-2018, 09:48 PM
McGinn to villa

Celtc's bluff called... just needs Brighton and Burnley to put their hands up and Lawell will be bricking it. If John is going for talks, their assumption that they only had to snap their fingers has just taken a massive hit.

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:48 PM
That'll be playing in blue the way 79 minutes is 70 minutes ;)
At this point I'm guessing that if McGinn signs for Liverpool people would be on telling us that red is blue if you're colour blind.....ooooo.....cryptic.

You can see it now can’t you

Agyepong announced tomorrow
McGinn leaves tomorrow for a team with a bit of blue in the kit
Barker announced
70/79th minute sub

Blood Green is Rod Petrie.

Smartie
06-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Can Villa afford anyone?

I thought they were in the deep stuff and couldn't afford their own current wage bill, irrespective of what they might be about to rake in for Grealish.

Surely a club with huge expectation, no money and a squad that nowhere near good enough would be a bad move for him?

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Celtic still have the upper hand imo.

McGinn wants to go there.

Celtic just need to put a bid in plus Allan which meets our valuation and he is theirs

matty_f
06-08-2018, 09:50 PM
McGinn to villa

They've spelt "Everton" wrong.

bingo70
06-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Celtic just need to put a bid in plus Allan which meets our valuation and he is theirs

They better hurry up then.

Jack Hackett
06-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Can Villa afford anyone?

I thought they were in the deep stuff and couldn't afford their own current wage bill, irrespective of what they might be about to rake in for Grealish.

Surely a club with huge expectation, no money and a squad that nowhere near good enough would be a bad move for him?

You didn't read the whole article then?

"Villa, recently bought over by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens"

:greengrin

Stevie Reid
06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Can Villa afford anyone?

Think they're sorted financially now. They had a pretty comfortable win away at Hull tonight, sure they'll be pushing for promotion again. Steve Bruce is a good manager as well.

Think this could be a good move for John.

JeMeSouviens
06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Can Villa afford anyone?

They’ve just been bought by some very rich Egyptians.

ScottB
06-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Can Villa afford anyone?

Couple billionaires bought the club, changed things a fair bit from the abyss they appeared to be facing.

Scooter
06-08-2018, 09:54 PM

No doubt about it, he would love to play for Celtic. But right now I'm not so sure he convinced it's the right move.

snooky
06-08-2018, 09:56 PM
They've spelt "Everton" wrong.

Maybe he's meeting Everton in Brum, the wee fox. :whistle:

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:56 PM
No doubt about it, he would love to play for Celtic. But right now I'm not so sure he convinced it's the right move.

Makes sense.

I’m not even particularly convinced Celtic want him right now.

I think a lot of the fans I have spoke to see it as this would be the only chance they have of signing him and it’s a bit of a what if scenario. They’re scared they lose out on him like they did McCarthy, Robertson etc and can no longer attract/afford them after doing well in England.

Brooster
06-08-2018, 09:58 PM
SJM at Villa tonight. Clubs have agreed fee.

Delboy4
06-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Where are the Huns getting the cash? Now they want to buy the captain of Osijek..! He’s seemingly there for a medical

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 09:59 PM

Good move for the lad.

Delboy4
06-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Sauce

Jack Hackett
06-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Makes sense.

I’m not even particularly convinced Celtic want him right now.

I think a lot of the fans I have spoke to see it as this would be the only chance they have of signing him and it’s a bit of a what if scenario. They’re scared they lose out on him like they did McCarthy, Robertson etc and can no longer attract/afford them after doing well in England.

A firm bid from down south would shake their complacency tree

B.H.F.C
06-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Good move for the lad.

In two minds.

Big club but don’t know how strong they’ll be with the issues they’ve had. And I think he could have went straight to the premier league. At least he’ll play every week there.

21sMay
06-08-2018, 10:03 PM
would be gutted to see him go but if he goes for the right money then I wish him all the best . top professional these last few weeks and been outstanding since he pulled on our shirt

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:05 PM
In two minds.

Big club but don’t know how strong they’ll be with the issues they’ve had. And I think he could have went straight to the premier league. At least he’ll play every week there.

I watched Hull Villa tonight.. he is better than anything in show. Great stepping stone for him..

IWasThere2016
Sauce

In the STUN now

Col2
Scott Allan deal will be tricky now.... ACKWARD....

Delighted if we get £4m though. That’s £2.7m net to us.

Paul1642
Our point of view keeping him would come down to hindsight. If we were to win either of the cups or come second in the league ( or much less likely make it to the Europa group stage ) then the decision to keep him would have been justified as arguably we wouldn’t have won the cup in 2016 without him and the same could be said about this seasons achievements. When we sold Scott brown and then Kevin Thompson for around £7millon in 2007 it was 9 years before we saw any result from that money. If it was the same time frame again with John Mcginn then it’s simply not worth it although the investment in infrastructure should be much lower this time.

SteveHFC
06-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Wonder if we’ll sign a replacement by Thursday.

greenlex
You didn't read the whole article then?

"Villa, recently bought over by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens"

:greengrin
They can talk the talk but can they walk,the walk?

WoreTheGreen
If true he’s got my best wishes top pro top guy thanks and good luck

Joe6-2
06-08-2018, 10:07 PM
They can talk the talk but can they walk,the walk?

See what you did there!

Callum_62
06-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Any clue on the fee?

Think Villa is a good move for him to be honest

bingo70

Delighted if we get £4m though. That’s £2.7m net to us.

Don’t really see why it should be, if they were offering the same as Villa but we knocked them back out of principle then there could be an issue. It sounds like Villa have offered around double what Celtic were offering so I’m sure they’ll understand why we had to accept that offer.

hibeg
If true he’s got my best wishes top pro top guy thanks and good luck

This. If he goes and turns out like their last signing from us, villa fans will be very happy

500miles
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Would that include the lad Tsibola coming in the other direction?

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Don’t really see why it should be, if they were offering the same as Villa but we knocked them back out of principle then there could be an issue. It sounds like Villa have offered around double what Celtic were offering so I’m sure they’ll understand why we had to accept that offer.

Reduced fee in Jan or sign him for heehaw next summer :wink:

Seriously, Celtc don't need/want SA

CapitalGreen
06-08-2018, 10:11 PM
https://fr24.com/BEE4EG/1d68c5da

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 10:11 PM

As long as its not Joe Ward, i will be happy. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:12 PM
This. If he goes and turns out like their last signing from us, villa fans will be very happy

Des Brenner, U. De La Cruz, McGinn.. they've done well off us

Diclonius
06-08-2018, 10:13 PM
McGinn to villa

And yet the headline is still "JOHN MCGINN TO CELTIC" with the Villa thing as the subheading.

Sorry Greatest Fans In the World, that's the last time you're going to see that headline. Get used to it. Could have had him if you weren't so ****ing self-entitled. :bye:

snooky
https://fr24.com/BEE4EG/1d68c5da

Jeez, these planes are HUGE!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Thanks for the memories John!

guthrie01
06-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Yaaaaas up yours Celtic

keep the faith
06-08-2018, 10:15 PM

Delighted if we get £4m though. That’s £2.7m net to us.Can see the dons trying to get Allan if Celtic bid for McKenna. If we sell mcginn down south we need to move fast and pay the cash it needs for Scott.

madhatter
Anybody have an inclination on the fee if this is all true? I’d love it if we were able to squeeze £5m and a 20% sell-on. McGinn could go to the top, he could have a very very big future.

hibeg
Des Brenner, U. De La Cruz, McGinn.. they've done well off us
Forgot about De La Cruz. I was thinking about Des. Won the European cup with them

Jack Hackett
06-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Anybody have an inclination on the fee if this is all true? I’d love it if we were able to squeeze £5m and a 20% sell-on. McGinn could go to the top, he could have a very very big future.

If they've done nothing else, Celtc have set the bar. They've offered 2, Hibs want 4, Villa will meet us in the middle imo

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Forgot about De La Cruz. I was thinking about Des. Won the European cup with them

The great Alex Cropley (indirectly via Arsenal) too

ryantaylor
06-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Got to feel sad that the boy is leaving but I’m sure he leaves with everyone’s best wishes. Honestly think he loves this club and every time he’s pulled on our shirt he’s gave 110%. Hibernian Legend and will forever hold a place in my heart for that day in May.

blackpoolhibs
Can see the dons trying to get Allan if Celtic bid for McKenna. If we sell mcginn down south we need to move fast and pay the cash it needs for Scott.

I'm not convinced we need Allan, or he's our main priority as i think Mallan can do this job. Its a defensive midfielder who's got a bit more about him than Marv, someone maybe younger and more mobile who can move the ball on a little quicker.

CropleyWasGod
Des Brenner, U. De La Cruz, McGinn.. they've done well off usCough.....

Cropley, albeit indirectly. Won the League Cup with us and them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

21sMay
06-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Celtic will be back with an offer I guarantee it

Brooster
06-08-2018, 10:21 PM

I wouldnt bet on that.

green day
06-08-2018, 10:22 PM

It's possible they have missed the boat. Let's hope so👍

IWasThere2016
Cough.....

Cropley, albeit indirectly. Won the League Cup with us and them.

Three posts too slow Crops :wink:

Juniper Greens

Only loans within England tho. So they could get Mcginn

madhatter
06-08-2018, 10:23 PM
If they've done nothing else, Celtc have set the bar. They've offered 2, Hibs want 4, Villa will meet us in the middle imo

Not if they really want him. Can’t see them squabbling over £1-2m. Billionaires as owners and a load of TV money, seems pointless to try to do stringent negotiations close to your deadline as well.

I can see £4m minimum. Hope that’s what we get. McGinn’s ability is worth a lot more than that in current game.

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Three posts too slow Crops :wink:Worth mentioning twice though [emoji2]

madhatter
Use some of the money to bid for Kamara?

Nevi_SOL
Read that Agyepong is listed as a Hibs player now on the official UEFA Europa League App

kevinc
06-08-2018, 10:25 PM

Des Bremner?

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Worth mentioning twice though [emoji2]

Defo. Beautiful player.

JeMeSouviens
Not if they really want him. Can’t see them squabbling over £1-2m. Billionaires as owners and a load of TV money, seems pointless to try to do stringent negotiations close to your deadline as well.

I can see £4m minimum. Hope that’s what we get. McGinn’s ability is worth a lot more than that in current game.

It’s pretty galling, but a half decent season in the championship and SJM will be a £20M player this time next year. S’pose that’s why they have sell-ons.

ryantaylor

Absolutely can see Hibs getting 5m from Villa

keep the faith
06-08-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm not convinced we need Allan, or he's our main priority as i think Mallan can do this job. Its a defensive midfielder who's got a bit more about him than Marv, someone maybe younger and more mobile who can move the ball on a little quicker.We absolutely need Allan. With 2 quality forwards in the side they will thrive on the balls Allan provides.
I think Mallan is a different player. I think he is actually a mcgeough upgrade. A Dylan who can take a set piece.
Would love to see an Allan/Mallan combo.

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Des Bremner?

De La Cruz

gaz1875
06-08-2018, 10:28 PM
I'm not convinced we need Allan, or he's our main priority as i think Mallan can do this job. Its a defensive midfielder who's got a bit more about him than Marv, someone maybe younger and more mobile who can move the ball on a little quicker.

I agree, need a midfield grafter to drive us forward.

kevinc
06-08-2018, 10:29 PM
De La Cruz
Forgot about him!

500miles
06-08-2018, 10:29 PM
We absolutely need Allan. With 2 quality forwards in the side they will thrive on the balls Allan provides.
I think Mallan is a different player. I think he is actually a mcgeough upgrade. A Dylan who can take a set piece.
Would love to see an Allan/Mallan combo.

Mallan so far seems incapable of tracking his man. He's not a Mcgeouch type. He's creative and deadly at set pieces.

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 10:31 PM

Hope not. He struggled at Killie IIRC

madhatter
06-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Mallan so far seems incapable of tracking his man. He's not a Mcgeouch type. He's creative and deadly at set pieces.

Dylan also took control over games. Not seen that from Mallan yet. Mallan is a good player and is great on set pieces but Dylan for me is still the better player. Should be though, he’s slightly older and has more experience.

snooky
06-08-2018, 10:33 PM

You snooze - you lose.

They've had their chance - and more. :bye:

500miles
06-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Hope not. He struggled at Killie IIRC

Injured at Killie for most of his 4 months there I think.

Diclonius
06-08-2018, 10:37 PM

"Oh ****, Villa have bid your asking price?! Uhm okay.. How about £2.75M (£1M up front, the rest in monthly installments of £5000 until 2047), Scott Allan (valued at £1M), some 17 year old on loan for six months (but no longer, we might need him back okay), a green and white bar scarf and an honourary membership of The Celtic Club. If you reject it you're just bitter."

RyeSloan
06-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Dylan also took control over games. Not seen that from Mallan yet. Mallan is a good player and is great on set pieces but Dylan for me is still the better player. Should be though, he’s slightly older and has more experience.

I’ve actually no idea where Mallan’s best position is yet.

My memory may be playing tricks but I can’t remember Dylan playing the Dylan role for the first year or two at Hibs. I swear I can even remember him playing in the Allan role at times!

So maybe Mallan is the new Dylan but he’s just not settled into the Dylan role yet.

Aha it’s soooo annoying when player names are used for roles / positions 🤪. I blame Matty Jack [emoji23]

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Injured at Killie for most of his 4 months there I think.

Played 12 games. That's only 2 games less than Flo played for us in the same time.

Ozyhibby
06-08-2018, 10:43 PM
I’ve actually no idea where Mallan’s best position is yet.

My memory may be playing tricks but I can’t remember Dylan playing the Dylan role for the first year or two at Hibs. I swear I can even remember him playing in the Allan role at times!

So maybe Mallan is the new Dylan but he’s just not settled into the Dylan role yet.

Aha it’s soooo annoying when player names are used for roles / positions 🤪. I blame Matty Jack [emoji23]

Dylan only really played holding mid this season. Previously Fyvie and Bartley had done it and Dylan was mostly injured anyway.

bookert
06-08-2018, 10:45 PM
I agree with this.

06-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Could we now afford the guy Jones at Killie? I know he's not a direct replacement for SJM but he looks a real prospect and creates and scores goals.

jacomo
06-08-2018, 10:49 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying but events on the pitch can have a great effect on our club, both playing wise & economically. In the 2 full seasons since 21/5/16 we've played 37 league games at home & our average attendance was approx 7,500 more than in 2015/16 season. Based on £20 a head that works out roughly at an extra £5.5m we have taken through the gates in those 2 seasons. Too often we've taken the short term view instead of looking at long term benefits. Selling GOC outside our transfer window when we were in a cup semi final versus them is a perfect illustration of that. If we had won that game we were in a final against Gretna & just possibly we could have been in our current euphoric, cup winning state 10 years earlier with all the attendant benefits.

True but we were in a financial mess at the time and - unlike our neighbours - determined to pay our debts.

Plus Garry fancied a Ferrari.

RyeSloan
06-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Dylan only really played holding mid this season. Previously Fyvie and Bartley had done it and Dylan was mostly injured anyway.

Aha so I wasn’t going insane! All this Dylan role chat and how essential is is to get a direct replacement (every match thread would see a ‘but we still need a Dylan type’ comment or 50!) had started to convince me that somehow I was wrong to not remember him playing there that much previously! 🤪

madhatter
06-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Is Kamara not the best fit in terms of age and ability? Not sure how much Dundee would be looking for him though...

Hibeesmad
06-08-2018, 10:56 PM
So McGinn to Villa...

Our former manager Colin Calderwood is assistant manager there.

Maybe there was some truth in this theory after all

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 10:56 PM

I think we need both but Allan is absolutely key for me (or a player that does what he does for us which will be very, very difficult).
Scott Allan is the guy who picks the passes that open defenses and turn those irritating draws into 3 points.

He also brings the players around him up a notch by how he manages space.

Finally, **** me if a discussion about actual football and transfers hasn't broken out.
And on the bloody transfer page too.
Score!

Heisenberg
06-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Is Kamara not the best fit in terms of age and ability? Not sure how much Dundee would be looking for him though...

Kamara is quality but won’t come cheap i imagine. Also had a few Championship teams interested in him this summer.

dmc1875
06-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Kamara is quality but won’t come cheap i imagine. Also had a few Championship teams interested in him this summer.

Can’t imagine we would have any chance to sign him

madhatter
06-08-2018, 11:06 PM
I think we need both but Allan is absolutely key for me (or a player that does what he does for us which will be very, very difficult).
Scott Allan is the guy who picks the passes that open defenses and turn those irritating draws into 3 points.

Finally, **** me if a discussion about actual football and transfers hasn't broken out.
Score!

Key enough to give Celtic £1m when they offered £2m for McGinn? Personally I think not, McGinn is our best player so we sensibly held out for best offer. Allan to Celtic isn’t even good enough to be a bench warmer, how he can possibly be half the value of McGinn is beyond me...Give Celtic no money.

McGinn could go to the very top, Allan won’t, it’s only ever really clicked for Allan at Hibs.

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 11:06 PM

This.

Most of this is business and not emotional stuff.

Celtic will sell to us if we meet their valuation much as we'll sell to them if they meet our valuation.
Those valuations will fluctuate with circumstance e.g. McGinn being valued at more if EPL clubs are offering 3, 4 or even 5 million and Allan will be valued at more if we have money from a transfer.

If we got 4.5m from Villa and banked 3m (fag packet maths and not taking into account all the details) and then Celtic asked for 1m for Allan I'd probably pay it. He's not worth that on the open market but we'd have Allan, roughly the same money still in the bank that Celtic offered for McGinn and SJM wouldn't be at Celtic. That ticks a lot of boxes for me.

End of the day I couldn't give a monkey's about what we get in and pay out for players (assuming we're financially stable) as long as there's a good Hibs team to watch on the park.

Jack Hackett
06-08-2018, 11:08 PM

Score!

He's also the guy who's a joy to watch. He's an entertainer, something we aspire to at Easter Road.

I bet he's gagging to team up with Flo and Mac again. A full season of that trio would get me off the viagra :greengrin

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Key enough to give Celtic £1m when they offered £2m for McGinn? Personally I think not, McGinn is our best player so we sensibly held out for best offer. Allan to Celtic isn’t even good enough to be a bench warmer, how he can possibly be half the value of McGinn is beyond me...Give Celtic no money.

McGinn could go to the very top, Allan won’t, it’s only ever really clicked for Allan at Hibs.

Financially you're bang on. He's not worth £1m.

But it's about what Allan gives us on the park and for me it would be an exceptional piece of scouting if we spent £1m on a player and got what Allan gives us.

End of the day the point for me is not to try to beat Celtic at the money side in transactions that are pocket change to them (which is not to say that it doesn't irk my pride). The point is to get the best Hibs team on the pitch and I'd swallow a ****ty transaction if that was the result. The option of selling to England for more and then buying Allan at £1m is better for me.

Opinions eh?

Franck Stanton
06-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Heard a wee rumour at the game on Sun, from someone who is well connected to coaching staff, that we have tabled an offer for SA. £250k up front with same again in January. I am not itk by any stretch of the imagination, just passing on what I was told

madhatter
06-08-2018, 11:17 PM
This.

Most of this is business and not emotional stuff.

Celtic will sell to us if we meet their valuation much as we'll sell to them if they meet our valuation.
Those valuations will fluctuate with circumstance e.g. McGinn being valued at more if EPL clubs are offering 3, 4 or even 5 million and Allan will be valued at more if we have money from a transfer.

If we got 4.5m from Villa and banked 3m (fag packet maths and not taking into account all the details) and then Celtic asked for 1m for Allan I'd probably pay it. He's not worth that on the open market but we'd have Allan, roughly the same money still in the bank that Celtic offered for McGinn and SJM wouldn't be at Celtic. That ticks a lot of boxes for me.

End of the day I couldn't give a monkey's about what we get in and pay out for players (assuming we're financially stable) as long as there's a good Hibs team to watch on the park.

Ignoring Celtic’s horrible attempt to get McGinn, I would be very unhappy for us to sign Allan for more than Celtic paid to sign him from us. Allan was invaluable to us (granted we had a few problems with him) and he’s deadweight to them...

Scott Allan is not that critical to us, he is a great entertainer but let’s not allow Celtic to exaggerate his worth due to our desire to get him back. They’ll push the price up, if they don’t then many of their fans will be annoyed due to the McGinn situation. They will make it difficult for us, that is a guarantee.

Nevi_SOL
06-08-2018, 11:18 PM

But it's about what Allan gives us on the park and for me it would be an exceptional piece of scouting if we spent £1m on a player and got what Allan gives us.

End of the day the point for me is not to try to beat Celtic at the money side in transactions that are pocket change to them (which is not to say that it doesn't irk my pride). The point is to get the best Hibs team on the pitch and I'd swallow a ****ty transaction if that was the result. The option of selling to England for more and then buying Allan at £1m is better for me.

Opinions eh?
I agree with this as I think Hibs won’t be stupid enough not too have put a sell on fee in there as well so would recoup the Allan fee alone there

jeffers
06-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Ignoring Celtic’s horrible attempt to get McGinn, I would be very unhappy for us to sign Allan for more than Celtic paid to sign him from us. Allan was invaluable to us (granted we had a few problems with him) and he’s deadweight to them...

Scott Allan is not that critical to us, he is a great entertainer but let’s not allow Celtic to exaggerate his worth due to our desire to get him back. They’ll push the price up, if they don’t then many of their fans will be annoyed due to the McGinn situation. They will make it difficult for us, that is a guarantee.

Totally disagree, he creates chances and sees a pass that few do, he's far more than a great entertainer.

madhatter

Opinions eh?

Fully understand where you are coming from but personally it irks me that we could potentially be paying Celtic more to get him back than they paid to us when he was on top form...

I’d rather wait, we got McGinn for virtually nothing (sell-on clause excluded) and I’d say he’s been equally entertaining for other reasons. We do not need to be held to ransom by Celtic to get a creative midfielder.

Hibs don’t get a lot of money through transfers, the thought of throwing £1m of our biggest transfer (in recent times) to Celtic sickens me.

The Leith Dutch

All I'm saying is we shouldn't let petty bull**** about whether Celtic have taken the piss or got one over on us affect the cold, hard judgement of who we need on the pitch. If you don't agree Allan is all that then fair enough - but for me he's the crucial piece of the jigsaw but that's opinions again :)

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Opinions eh?

This is the way I look at Allan. In the grand scheme of things, his worth should probably be really low. He's had 1 and a half good seasons in his whole career and he's now 26. He's bombed nearly everywhere he's went.

Yet like you said, once you put Allan in a Hibs shirt, his performances are that of a multi million pound player. That's all that really matters at the end of the day, what he does at Hibs. It's a strange situation cause I can't think of any other player like him in that regard.

madhatter
06-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Totally disagree, he creates chances and sees a pass that few do, he's far more than a great entertainer.

To Hibs, yes. To anybody else, not sure. To Celtic, benchwarmer at times otherwise viewer from the stands...

Allan is a good player but he looked pretty poor at Dundee, hasn’t done anything at Celtic and tbh hasn’t done great throughout his career except at Hibs.

I’d love for him to return but if it means we pay Celtic more than they paid to us...eh, no, they can get lost.

J-C
06-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Slivka? Seemingly bought as McGinn's replacement.

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Fully understand where you are coming from but personally it irks me that we could potentially be paying Celtic more to get him back than they paid to us when he was on top form...

I’d rather wait, we got McGinn for virtually nothing (sell-on clause excluded) and I’d say he’s been equally entertaining for other reasons. We do not need to be held to ransom by Celtic to get a creative midfielder.

Hibs don’t get a lot of money through transfers, the thought of throwing £1m of our biggest transfer (in recent times) to Celtic sickens me.

Mate - would absolutely love for McGinn not to go to them so we're on the same page. Peace.
Man is a Hibs legend and I want to follow his career rather than navigate bull**** on here about whether we should boo him or not.

I personally hope he goes to the EPL as I think he'd cut it there no problem.

madhatter
06-08-2018, 11:31 PM
All I'm saying is we shouldn't let petty bull**** about whether Celtic have taken the piss or got one over on us affect the cold, hard judgement of who we need on the pitch. If you don't agree Allan is all that then fair enough - but for me he's the crucial piece of the jigsaw but that's opinions again :)

I think Allan is great, it’s not about what Hibs do though, Celtic could quote us £2m. That’s up to them. What I’m saying is that if they look to over charge us then we should move on.

We don’t get a huge amount of money coming into the club, it would sadden me greatly if we sell McGinn and then pass a chunk of that money to Celtic to get Allan.

This situation is looking like a massive win-win for Celtic. Get McGinn on the cheap or charge Hibs an extortionate rate for Allan...that’s why I say wait a year, look elsewhere for now and give Mallan the chance to play more advanced.

The Leith Dutch
06-08-2018, 11:32 PM

While I think you're right it's dangerous to be thinking in those terms.

The guy - on his current form especially - is irreplaceable.
He's the complete centre midfielder right now.

Slivka I like a lot but if he turns out to be half the player McGinn is I'd probably be delighted.

FilipinoHibs
06-08-2018, 11:38 PM

We can get Allan on pre-contract in January. Shame if he rots for another season at Celtic but maybe they will be so bitter if the loose Mcginn to do that.

BarcelonaHibee
06-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Suggestion for a song against Celtic

We sold McGinn
Super John McGinn
I just don't think you understand
He' Aston Villa's man
He's better than Zidan
We sold super John McGinn

snooky
06-08-2018, 11:46 PM

Like buying a Skoda to replace a Beamer.
(That's just my opinion of course).

Speedway
06-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Like buying a Skoda to replace a Beamer.
(That's just my opinion of course).

Or buying a Beamer to replace a Skoda as Slivka is quality and SJM is very reliable.

Captain Trips
06-08-2018, 11:59 PM
If Hibs get more than what Celtic offered then it proves we were correct to reject their offers so they really should have no complaints.

If we want SA and they start playing up then that would be disgraceful as they are not playing the guy and this could affect his whole career.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 12:02 AM
If Hibs get more than what Celtic offered then it proves we were correct to reject their offers so they really should have no complaints.

They shouldn’t but they most likely will knowing them. Will probably be the rest of Scottish footballs fault again if they don’t progress in Europe for not offering up our best players on cut price fees to them. Us and Aberdeen especially should be doing our bit for Scottish football and selling McGinn and McKenna to them for 50% market value.

mjhibby
07-08-2018, 12:07 AM

Lenny has consistently said he would be surprised if we kept mcginn. I'm sure we have a couple of players in mind. They may be free agents or may be either loans or small transfer fees. I've a feeling if mcginn goes we will get Allan back and will get two more players in on loan for a year then buy his replacement next summer. Be delighted if he never went to celtic.

Inconsequential
07-08-2018, 12:18 AM
The great Alex Cropley (indirectly via Arsenal) too Thought he was at Villa but then remembered it was Arsenal first. Another two of Turnbull's Tornadoes Brownlie and Blackley joined up again at Newcastle.

Greenworld
07-08-2018, 04:43 AM
They've spelt "Everton" wrong.Clever [emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
07-08-2018, 04:48 AM

Someone had better teach Slivka how to tackle then and quickly

Greenworld
07-08-2018, 04:59 AM
Heard a wee rumour at the game on Sun, from someone who is well connected to coaching staff, that we have tabled an offer for SA. £250k up front with same again in January. I am not itk by any stretch of the imagination, just passing on what I was toldThat kind of bid makes total sense and is realistic .

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-08-2018, 05:02 AM
Aha so I wasn’t going insane! All this Dylan role chat and how essential is is to get a direct replacement (every match thread would see a ‘but we still need a Dylan type’ comment or 50!) had started to convince me that somehow I was wrong to not remember him playing there that much previously! 🤪

Was he not more of a wide right, attacking player when we first signed him?

bingo70
07-08-2018, 05:06 AM
That kind of bid makes total sense and is realistic .

No it doesn’t imo.

Scott Allan will be trying to negotiate a release from his contract as he is of no use to Celtc, IMO we will wait and see if he manages that and then we’ll step in and take him on a freebie. If he can’t negotiate a release from his contract then we’ll try and get him on loan.

Even if the story was true about the transfer fee, why would Allan accept a reduced wage considering we’re not going to offer him the same terms as he is on at Celtic?

bigswissstriker
07-08-2018, 05:17 AM
Hope we have someone lined up as I still want us to have a real go at molde. Our midfield looks seriously short for me and Bartley/Slivka are not the answer.

Can’t we just sign one of McGinns brothers and pretend this never happened??

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 05:48 AM
Heard a wee rumour at the game on Sun, from someone who is well connected to coaching staff, that we have tabled an offer for SA. £250k up front with same again in January. I am not itk by any stretch of the imagination, just passing on what I was told

No danger we’re offering money for him.

He has little transfer value if any. He’s had 3 good months in 3 years. No one else is in for him and Celtic want him off the wage bill. We certainly won’t be paying him what he’s getting at Celtic. He’ll be looking for a payoff if anything as he has beggar all chance of playing there.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 05:49 AM
Hope we have someone lined up as I still want us to have a real go at molde. Our midfield looks seriously short for me and Bartley/Slivka are not the answer.

Can’t we just sign one of McGinns brothers and pretend this never happened??

Really? Slivka has been excellent so far this season.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-08-2018, 06:04 AM

I think slivka looks like he could be good, but A replacement for super John, I don't see it.

The key thing we need to replace when mcginn goes Is, imo, his physicality and his drive/attitude - his presence in the heart of our team is as important to us as His ability I reckon.

mayo hibee
07-08-2018, 06:08 AM
Wouldn't be going a penny over £100k including any add ons for Allan. No other confirmed interest, last year of his contract and Celtic will be looking to offload. We'd actually be doing them a favour at £100k taking him off their hands.

If they don't agree we can just leave it and sign him on a pre-contract in January for nothing. They can pay his wages to sit in the stand for a year.

If McGinn goes today and the club decide Kamara is the replacement they want then a McGinn type deal with a decent sell on clause may well be an option. Dundee will notice how well that could be working out for St Mirren and want to try something similar. £200k up front plus a 25% sell on might be enough to get him in.

bigswissstriker
07-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I love Slivka and he has come up with some big moments for us. But as has been alluded to previously he goes missing far too often and defensively is poor. And as much as I would like to see him given a chance/chances I feel we definitely need someone else in there

Edinburgh Green
07-08-2018, 06:19 AM

We sold McGinn
Super John McGinn
He' Aston Villa's man
He's better than Zidan

Please don’t. Singing a song about selling our star man is cringey. Proper tinpot.

theonlywayisup
07-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Is there any truth to this "McGinn to Villa" story? It is The Sun newspaper remember.

All I can see from the internet is "Villa open talks with Hibs over a deal for John McGinn". But these talks could be over in five minutes.

I'm sure it will all become clearer today, maybe by 5pm today possibly.

The local Birmingham paper is just picking up on The Sun report.

Aston Villa are leading the race for Hibernian star John McGinn and have started talks with the Scottish club over a transfer deal.

The Scottish Sun reports that Steve Bruce has had the £4m-rated midfielder watched recently and now talks have begun between the two clubs over a move.

The 23-year-old has been a target for Celtic in recent weeks and the Scottish giants have had three bids turned down already.

Now the Scottish paper believes that Villa have moved ahead of the Parkhead club and a deal could be done before deadline day.

Diclonius
07-08-2018, 06:22 AM

We sold McGinn
Super John McGinn
He' Aston Villa's man
He's better than Zidan

"Where is McGinn?.."

Beefster
07-08-2018, 06:28 AM

We sold McGinn
Super John McGinn
He' Aston Villa's man
He's better than Zidan

I think we should be a wee bit classier than celebrating selling our best player.

Callum_62
07-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Is there any truth to this "McGinn to Villa" story? It is The Sun newspaper remember.

All I can see from the internet is "Villa open talks with Hibs over a deal for John McGinn". But these talks could be over in five minutes.

I'm sure it will all become clearer today, maybe by 5pm today possibly.

The local Birmingham paper is just picking up on The Sun report.

Aston Villa are leading the race for Hibernian star John McGinn and have started talks with the Scottish club over a transfer deal.

The Scottish Sun reports that Steve Bruce has had the £4m-rated midfielder watched recently and now talks have begun between the two clubs over a move.

The 23-year-old has been a target for Celtic in recent weeks and the Scottish giants have had three bids turned down already.

Now the Scottish paper believes that Villa have moved ahead of the Parkhead club and a deal could be done before deadline day.

Poster on here reckons he went down to meet them last

If so, id expect him to end up there

Im sure the package they will offer would be fantastic

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Poster on here reckons he went down to meet them last

If so, id expect him to end up there

Im sure the package they will offer would be fantastic

I would suspect so aswell. If we’ve allowed him to go down then I’m presuming we’ve either agreed a fee or were not far off it and I’d think he’ll have a ballpark figure for wages if he’s travelling down. Decent move for him.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2018, 06:39 AM
I'm not convinced we need Allan, or he's our main priority as i think Mallan can do this job. Its a defensive midfielder who's got a bit more about him than Marv, someone maybe younger and more mobile who can move the ball on a little quicker.I'd agree and we now need a replacement for SJM also as it's not Slivka imo- I like him but he isn't good enough to replace McGinn...mind who is TBH?

Heisenberg
07-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Whoever we have play in central midfield this season has got some task on their hands. They’ll forever be compared to McGinn/McGeough, not an easy pair to match up to.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Can’t we just sign one of McGinns brothers and pretend this never happened??Yup that's always been my biggest concern too and we now have little to no time to get a replacement in for Thurs in fact till midnight 2moro I believe- good deal for SJM and the club if it goes thru but dreadful timing ( of course not our fault thanks to englandshire changing their deadline)

Callum_62
07-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Yup that's always been my biggest concern too and we now have little to no time to get a replacement in for Thurs in fact till midnight 2moro I believe- good deal for SJM and the club if it goes thru but dreadful timing ( of course not our fault thanks to englandshire changing their deadline)

Unfortunate timing but if the money is what we want we cant really say no

Id imagine we have a few names down as potential replacements

The way he is playing now though, I think hes almost irreplaceable

The Leith Dutch
07-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Wouldn't be going a penny over £100k including any add ons for Allan. No other confirmed interest, last year of his contract and Celtic will be looking to offload. We'd actually be doing them a favour at £100k taking him off their hands.

If they don't agree we can just leave it and sign him on a pre-contract in January for nothing. They can pay his wages to sit in the stand for a year.

If McGinn goes today and the club decide Kamara is the replacement they want then a McGinn type deal with a decent sell on clause may well be an option. Dundee will notice how well that could be working out for St Mirren and want to try something similar. £200k up front plus a 25% sell on might be enough to get him in.

Genuine question here then.

Given that it appears McGinn will be sold and we'll have money.
Where would you spend the money that you think gets us a better player than Allan at an inflated fee?

Here's my concern - we have in the past struggled to put teams away and convert dominating play into goals, most of the set up players from that time we've struggeled are the same (albeit they've done well recently) and we know Allan will create chances that will get us points.

Don't get me wrong, if our aim is to do smart business your approach is spot on.
My argument would be that we have to take that money and make it work for us on the pitch rather than in the bank.

We've done a lot of good, smart business of late and with attendances and the run in Europe we should have cash.
My two cents is we get Allan now even if it's over the odds because he will get us points between now and even January and a few hundred thousand in the bank (and a sense of not getting stiffed by Celtic) is worth less than those points.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Unfortunate timing but if the money is what we want we cant really say no

Id imagine we have a few names down as potential replacements

The way he is playing now though, I think hes almost irreplaceable

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm sure we do mate but don't think any will be signed in time for Molde unfortunately. I agree tho we can't say no but got a horrible feeling it may just have killed our chances over the 2 ties

jodjam
07-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Yup that's always been my biggest concern too and we now have little to no time to get a replacement in for Thurs in fact till midnight 2moro I believe- good deal for SJM and the club if it goes thru but dreadful timing ( of course not our fault thanks to englandshire changing their deadline)

Definitely not a concern for me. Hibs will have targets identified and in some cases spoken to them. We will have been proactive on this especially as it was a 4 year deal SJM had.

Timing before any match is not ideal but we have a long season ahead and Im sure his replacement will hit the ground running

The Leith Dutch
07-08-2018, 06:57 AM
I'd agree and we now need a replacement for SJM also as it's not Slivka imo- I like him but he isn't good enough to replace McGinn...mind who is TBH?

I think we have to get out of the mentality that they're a replacement for McGinn.

It would be a stunning transfer coup or an amazing piece of scouting if we get someone in who stands comparison and it's going to get really ****ing boring if we get a decent player in and half the fans are ripping him constantly because he's "no John McGinn".

I suspect on top of that we may have to change the approach of the team.
The amount of ball he either won or kept when he had no right to is genuinely unbelievable.

mayo hibee
07-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Genuine question here then.

Given that it appears McGinn will be sold and we'll have money.
Where would you spend the money that you think gets us a better player than Allan at an inflated fee?

Here's my concern - we have in the past struggled to put teams away and convert dominating play into goals, most of the set up players from that time we've struggeled are the same (albeit they've done well recently) and we know Allan will create chances that will get us points.

Don't get me wrong, if our aim is to do smart business your approach is spot on.
My argument would be that we have to take that money and make it work for us on the pitch rather than in the bank.

We've done a lot of good, smart business of late and with attendances and the run in Europe we should have cash.
My two cents is we get Allan now even if it's over the odds because he will get us points between now and even January and a few hundred thousand in the bank (and a sense of not getting stiffed by Celtic) is worth less than those points.

Well I'd use some of the cash to make Maclaren a permanent Hibs player next year. Kamara would interest me as a direct McGinn replacement.

I would also sign Scott Allan, but unless another club show genuine interest I see no reason to pay over the odds for him. It's no problem if we have to wait until the last day or two of the window. Remember it will cost Celtic in the region of £400k to keep him for the season and he will get little game time if any. So they will want him gone, either on loan or permanently, by the end of August. We just need to play the game here and I have full confidence in the club in that respect.

Tug Wilson
07-08-2018, 07:02 AM
I think we have to get out of the mentality that they're a replacement for McGinn.

It would be a stunning transfer coup or an amazing piece of scouting if we get someone in who stands comparison and it's going to get really ****ing boring if we get a decent player in and half the fans are ripping him constantly because he's "no John McGinn".

The amount of ball he either won or kept when he had no right to is genuinely unbelievable.

This

Juniper Greens
07-08-2018, 07:04 AM
As long as the money is all upfront! Villa don’t look in great condition financially
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44399227

JohnM1875
07-08-2018, 07:06 AM
As long as the money is all upfront! Villa don’t look in great condition financially

Thought that too but they've been take over by billionaire's very recently so money won't be an issue for them.

hibee1875
07-08-2018, 07:06 AM

They’re now owned by wealthy investors with ‘deep pockets’ - Steve Bruce last night

MagicSwirlingShip
07-08-2018, 07:07 AM

They’ve had significant investment since that article went live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44901531

jacomo
07-08-2018, 07:08 AM

:agree:

Wise words. SJM is a dominant influence in our team. If he goes we will need to have a little rethink about how we play.

Slivka can do the box-to-box stuff and potentially offers a more direct goal threat but doesn’t have SJM’s authority and strength in midfield. So the balance of the team would change a wee bit.

Coco Bryce
07-08-2018, 07:20 AM
AV is a fantastic move for SJM. They are a huge club and John will surely be looking at £25k-£30k a week.

Good luck to the laddie, he's going to the next level :agree:

Onceinawhile
07-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Sell him Friday morning after we beat molde 5-0.

Simple 👍

alihibs1
07-08-2018, 07:22 AM

Simple [emoji106]Window will be closed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Simple 👍

Has to join by 5pm on Thursday at the latest

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Thought that too but they've been take over by billionaire's very recently so money won't be an issue for them.

Only issue they have is complying with FFP as they have massively overspent in the last 2 years

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Is there any foundation in this? Nothing on SSN, then again it doesn’t involve the rangers or celic

green day
07-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Only issue they have is complying with FFP as they have massively overspent in the last 2 years

Grealish to Spurs for £25m would sort that out

Stuart93
07-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Is there any foundation in this? Nothing on SSN, then again it doesn’t involve the rangers or celic

Straight from lennons mouth, far down the line with villa

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Straight from lennons mouth, far down the line with villa

Ok, cheers

Tug Wilson
07-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Which strangely makes SJM a more appealing prospect. To get an inferior player from an English club would probably cost £10m+

They can pick up a much better player in McGinn for £4m.

huggie1875
07-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Has to join by 5pm on Thursday at the latest

does that include championship clubs I thought I read here just the premier league closes Thursday?

ForeverHibs93
07-08-2018, 07:40 AM
If he goes, I’d quite like the idea of Kamara, offer them a 25% sell on clause similar to the SJM deal as they’ll have seen how well that’s working out for Saints.

I’d also like to see us table an offer for Mulumbu as I thought he was Killies best player last year, I know he was keen for a move back down south but he’s still a free agent as far as I’m aware so it doesn’t look like teams are clambering over each other to get his signature. I’d imagine with the money we’d make from SJM and the European run we could offer a decent 1/2 year contract to him.

Which brings me to Allan, I wouldn’t offer more than 250k for him. As Celtic fans keep harping on ‘we’ll just take him for free in January’. He’s quality at hibs but any other team is taking a massive gamble going after him.

If we got him on a pre contract in Jan and had Mulumbu until next season that would be pretty good business IMO. Different types of players admittedly but both quality. I do NOT want us chucking a large amount of money at Celtic after their antics.

MacGruber
07-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Well I'd use some of the cash to make Maclaren a permanent Hibs player next year. Kamara would interest me as a direct McGinn replacement.

I would also sign Scott Allan, but unless another club show genuine interest I see no reason to pay over the odds for him. It's no problem if we have to wait until the last day or two of the window. Remember it will cost Celtic in the region of £400k to keep him for the season and he will get little game time if any. So they will want him gone, either on loan or permanently, by the end of August. We just need to play the game here and I have full confidence in the club in that respect.

Would take Allan and Mulumbu and square away £400k for McLaren next year. Also use the cash for a solid left back signing for competition and an experienced big strong target man to compliment what is quite a young strikeforce.
A left winger unless that is Agyepong too. The rest toward the indoor pitch.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-08-2018, 07:44 AM
£5m for McGinn is brilliant

Now what are they going to pay us for the rights to the song?

Heisenberg
07-08-2018, 07:45 AM
does that include championship clubs I thought I read here just the premier league closes Thursday?

Yeah, Thursday at 5pm for them too. They can still make loan signings though.

Newcastlehibby
07-08-2018, 07:47 AM
and yet no concrete bids, it's almost like any club that has had it's name mentioned in the media with an interest are being chased away, i'l do a 'bleeding green' guess and suggest sjm will be away in the january sales, it's a guess i and other guessers predicted several weeks ago :(

Just looked it up. It is the same for EFL clubs as well. The only difference appears to be that they can take a player on loan with an option to buy up until 31st August.

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Would take Allan and Mulumbu and square away £400k for McLaren next year. Also use the cash for a solid left back signing for competition and an experienced big strong target man to compliment what is quite a young strikeforce.

I’m sure NL will have every penny accounted for!

adhibs
07-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Hopefully get a 20-30% sell on fee add. A good dozen game down there and he'll be a £15m player.

Good luck to him if it goes through, it's been brilliant having him at the club.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-08-2018, 07:57 AM
English interest was inevitable eventually. Playing European qualifiers has helped. I think clubs are realising he's no longer a punt and is more than good enough to perform at the top end championship/prem consistently

I wonder if we would potentially go back in for Barker? Lennon liked to give him a free role so if Celtic are being difficult over Allan then we sign Barker now and Allan in Jan/summer?

18Craig75
IF SJM goes before Thursday, let’s get him out in the pitch at some point for a proper send off. The most influential Hibs player since Sauzee. He has played a huge part in rebuilding our club, as well as reconnecting it to the community.

Part of me just wants to keep him for his last year anyway!!!

adhibs

That sounds good to me. I'd want a CB as well though.

GloryGlory
07-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Me too. :agree:

Springbank
07-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Ryan Porteous has saved us £1.5m here

I'd prioritise midfield and upfront

GloryGlory
07-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Hopefully get a 20-30% sell on fee add. A good dozen game down there and he'll be a £15m player.

Good luck to him if it goes through, it's been brilliant having him at the club.

A good season and if Villa are at least challenging at the top of the league, plus good cup runs, and he'll be a £20 million+ player, no probs if Grealish is £25 million, and a target for a few EPL teams this time next year.

I only wish him the best - a four year deal will set him up for life.

I hope we get a good package that includes extras for appearances, caps, sell-on percentage 'cos I think SJM will go for ridiculous money one of these days.

scotiaf
07-08-2018, 08:06 AM
If Mcginn goes before Molde we’re out I’d guess, however if a bid is 4 million + we cannot afford to not grab it with both hands if Mcginn is happy wity what’s on offer. I doubt we will get Allan however if that happens as he is on a large wage and I’m sure he would
want that year of ££. However I know nothing so I could be completely
Wrong.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 08:06 AM
I'd agree and we now need a replacement for SJM also as it's not Slivka imo- I like him but he isn't good enough to replace McGinn...mind who is TBH?

Yip i agree with this, if SJM has gone we need 2 midfielders, one to replace McGeouch and another for John, oh and of course 2 centre halves. :greengrin

flash
07-08-2018, 08:13 AM
You know what's coming next. Someone who knows will post he is training as normal today.

GloryGlory
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM
If Mcginn goes before Molde we’re out I’d guess, however if a bid is 4 million + we cannot afford to not grab it with both hands if Mcginn is happy wity what’s on offer. I doubt we will get Allan however if that happens as he is on a large wage and I’m sure he would
want that year of ££. However I know nothing so I could be completely
Wrong.

If he is not in the picture at Celtic, he should be pressuring them to pay up at least some of his contract. He is allegedly on £8k a week, so the last year of his contract will cost more than £400k to not play him. If he could get, say, £3.5k a week with a 2-3 year contract at Hibs a pay off of about £150k would save Celtic £250k+ which they could put towards the wages of a player they do want.

I know they have a much bigger budget than us and £250k isn't big, but they are a business and need to look at the bigger picture.

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM
You know what's coming next. Someone who knows will post he is training as normal today.

I’d love that!!

jacomo
07-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Mackie seems earmarked as the understudy to Lewis this season. How good is he?

As I keep saying, our development team won a league and cup double last season, they must have something about them. Would love to see more young players graduate to the first team squad, and we invest in real quality where it is needed.

Stevie Reid
07-08-2018, 08:26 AM

As I keep saying, our development team won a league and cup double last season, they must have something about them. Would love to see more young players graduate to the first team squad, and we invest in real quality where it is needed.

Mackie was part of the half time feature on Alba on Sunday in which they covered Hibs development team's success, and the new reserve league being introduced. Him and Porteous were the only two interviewed - I would take that as a sign that he's going to be quite involved this season.

Paid Raith a fee for him when he was 17 IIRC, so he must have been rated and developed well.

J-C
07-08-2018, 08:27 AM

:agree: Getting rave reviews most weeks, he's grown and bulked up this past 2 years and has been in the game day squad a few times now.

jacomo
07-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Fulham apparently willing to pay £12m for Boyata.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45089073

What are Celtc playing at? Money in the bank, big earnings from transfers this summer, and potentially another very lucrative CL adventure.

Yes they have paid big money for a striker, but their fans are desperate for investment in the squad, especially at CB, plus more options in midfield.

Jim44
07-08-2018, 08:31 AM
From Kerrydale Street. Yes, rumours, opinions etc. , but:

I know for a fact that he will not wait around to sign a pre contract with Celtic, it’s this summer or he signs for someone else before Friday.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:32 AM

What are Celtc playing at? Money in the bank, big earnings from transfers this summer, and potentially another very lucrative CL adventure.

Yes they have paid big money for a striker, but their fans are desperate for investment in the squad, especially at CB, plus more options in midfield.

If they get £12m for Boyata then the football world has gone mad.

Springbank
07-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Hello Peter Scrooge Lawwell. My name is Sir David Mu--- eh, the Ghost of Christmas Past....

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/ron-scott-sir-david-murrays-thrift-over-scott-brown-still-haunts-rangers/

CraigHibee
07-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Talksport reporting mcginn having a medical today ahead of 4 million move, if we get the 4 million I'd be delighted. Obviously St Mirren get their cut but we would have a nice chunk of cash

https://talksport.com/football/efl/408277/aston-villa-set-to-beat-scottish-champions-celtic-to-john-mcginn-transfer/

Beefster
07-08-2018, 08:33 AM

I’m normally as sceptical as you but Brooster is generally on the money.

frazeHFC
07-08-2018, 08:35 AM
£4m will be good cash for a player out of contract in a year. And I'll be delighted he's not going to Celtic. But the form he's shown in the games so far this season I'm gutted to see him go.

Springbank
07-08-2018, 08:37 AM
Talksport reporting mcginn having a medical today ahead of 4 million move, if we get the 4 million I'd be delighted. Obviously St Mirren get their cut but we would have a nice chunk of cash

https://talksport.com/football/efl/408277/aston-villa-set-to-beat-scottish-champions-celtic-to-john-mcginn-transfer/

Without going all Chuck Norris on here...

...Aston Villa don't give John McGinn a medical. John McGinn gives Aston Villa a medical...

J-C
07-08-2018, 08:38 AM

And they'll snap up McKenna for a minimum fee too, pocketing more cash into their vault.

Juniper Greens
07-08-2018, 08:39 AM
And they'll snap up McKenna for a minimum fee too, pocketing more cash into their vault.

Got a bad injury I think. Doubt they will sign him this summer now

number9dream
07-08-2018, 08:39 AM
The English market is going to explode into a maelstrom of wildly extravagant spending over the next couple of days. Once the dust settles, there may be a few options for us down south since clubs can sell / loan players up until 31 Aug.
If SJM goes, we really need a left-sided option in midfield and I'd like to think we'd try to get Allan back.
If there is money to spend, Lenny will be keen on more recruits and, with the squad looking pretty strong, we have the luxury of only going for players who can improve us - not just filling gaps.
While it's sad to see a changing of the guard, these are exciting times.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Don't see why? We have 4 CB's. Porteous was incredible on Sunday as well and he's our back up.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 08:43 AM

McKenna has done his hamstring so he'll be doing well to pass a medical.

J-C
07-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Oh yea forgot he got a muscle tear on sunday, thanks for reminding me.:thumbsup:

flash
07-08-2018, 08:44 AM
I’m normally as sceptical as you but Brooster is generally on the money.

He is that. I didn't see his post.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:46 AM

I didn’t see that. Suppose it just goes to show what can happen in football. Could easily be John McGinn if we held onto him and he got a bad injury.

The_Horde
07-08-2018, 08:50 AM
McKenna has done his hamstring so he'll be doing well to pass a medical.

Pretty sure you can still pass a medical if I injured as long as you specify the injury. It's not like FM.

GloryGlory
07-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Don't see why? We have 4 CB's. Porteous was incredible on Sunday as well and he's our back up.

Daz is now a bit too injury prone - rumours that he doesn't train between matches because of his dodgy knee. Who knows what he will be like by the end of the season?

Blaster
07-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Daz is now a bit too injury prone - rumours that he doesn't train between matches because of his dodgy knee. Who knows what he will be like by the end of the season?

Maybe re-assess in January? I don’t think we need another CB as things stand

adhibs
07-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Porteuos is a rock defensively and could have a great career. disagree he was incredible though, he looked like a lower league player any time the ball was at his feet. Add in efes efeness and I'd say we need to strengthen if we want to challenge for 2nd.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Pretty sure you can still pass a medical if I injured as long as you specify the injury. It's not like FM.

Depends on the injury. He can't can't run so there is no way they can carryout a full medical. If he does go, it'll because Fulham will have taken a big chance.

The_Horde
07-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Depends on the injury. He can't can't run so there is no way they can carryout a full medical. If he does go, it'll because Fulham will have taken a big chance.

Surely there's other machines you can perform the tests on?

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Porteuos is a rock defensively and could have a great career. disagree he was incredible though, he looked like a lower league player any time the ball was at his feet. Add in efes efeness and I'd say we need to strengthen if we want to challenge for 2nd.

Disagree totally. He looks excellent on the ball. I don't think he wasted 1 pass.

Craig_HFC
07-08-2018, 09:00 AM

Aberdeen signed Mikey Devlin from Hamilton last summer after he’d done his ACL.

I’m pretty sure a hamstring injury won’t affect a transfer too much.

CapitalGreen
07-08-2018, 09:01 AM

One of Porteous's main assets is with the ball at feet and his ability to bring it out from defense.

The_Horde
07-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Disagree totally. He looks excellent on the ball. I don't think he wasted 1 pass.

Apart from the 2 big diagonals he tried and missed I agree. Plenty CB's do that in fact our very own Paul Hanlon used to be good for a couple of failed attempts a game.

I'd much rather he tried those than played within himself.

Winston Ingram
07-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Aberdeen signed Mikey Devlin from Hamilton last summer after he’d done his ACL.

I’m pretty sure a hamstring injury won’t affect a transfer too much.

Micky Devlin did his crucuate in May 2017 and they signed him a 8 months afterwards on a pre-contract. If he'd done it 3 days ago, he wasn't passing any medical.

IvanSproule
07-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Because we tend to play with three CB's.
Need 2 players for every position to have decent cover, so at least one more centre half is needed.

Greenworld
07-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Porteuos is a rock defensively and could have a great career. disagree he was incredible though, he looked like a lower league player any time the ball was at his feet. Add in efes efeness and I'd say we need to strengthen if we want to challenge for 2nd.Really I had him down as Motm passed well changed his game late on on the match where he just cleared his lines everything was really good

adhibs
07-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Really I had him down as Motm passed well changed his game late on on the match where he just cleared his lines everything was really good

Looks like it's they clearing the lines moments that I seen different from the others who have commented. I thought there were times he could've taken a touch and played us out rather than just jumping it clear. I do rate him and think he can play a role for us this season, would love another Paul Hanlon style CB though.

scuttle
07-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Maybe re-assess in January? I don’t think we need another CB as things stand

Agree we are still a striker short and if/when SJM goes probably two midfielders which should be priority at the moment

makaveli1875
07-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Everyone still bitching about the squad . we're unbeaten , put 4 past a quality Greek side . Pumped Motherwell while resting a few players . The guys that everyone are saying are not good enough are going out and winning .. what more do they need to do :confused:

Smartie
07-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Everyone still bitching about the squad . we're unbeaten , put 4 past a quality Greek side . Pumped Motherwell while resting a few players . The guys that everyone are saying are not good enough are going out and winning .. what more do they need to do :confused:

The performance of certain players - Gray, Slivka, Porteous, Shaw, Bartley and latterly Bogdan have definitely made our need for players seem much less acute.