PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Summer transfer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Nope, like pretty much everybody else on here.

Yip like everyone else on here. Do you think we will just go with what we currently have, or do you think the team will evolve over the period of time left in this transfer window?

Callum_62
16-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Ah right, so you have no idea whats going on in the background?

Who really does?

I think weve signed ok so far but definitely need more

Be nice to get some deals swiftly tied up - we seem to be linked/rumoured with signings and it drags on for weeks

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Yip like everyone else on here. Do you think we will just go with what we currently have, or do you think the team will evolve over the period of time left in this transfer window?

Of course it will evolve. Do I think it will be before our European game which if we progress could bag us a tidy sum of money? I’m not so sure.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Of course it will evolve. Do I think it will be before our European game which if we progress could bag us a tidy sum of money? I’m not so sure.

Will we be the only club in Europe who wont have all their signings in before they play in Europe?

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Will we be the only club in Europe who wont have all their signings in before they play in Europe?

Nope. Do Scottish clubs generally do well in Europe? Do their chances of doing well significantly decrease when they have a significantly poorer squad than the one that finished the previous season?

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 07:11 PM

I am 100% certain that Hibs management are fully aware of the importance of progressing in Europe as much a the supporters and are doing everything in their power to bring in target new recruits as quickly as possible. Why would anyone think otherwise?

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Nope. Do Scottish clubs generally do well in Europe? Do their chances of doing well significantly decrease when they have a significantly poorer squad than the one that finished the previous season?

We do not qualify for europe through our league position very often, and making sure we challenge again for europe NEXT season is our first target.

Europe should be our aim every season, and to have a team thats does well in it, we need to have a strong side who's been playing at the top end of the Scottish game regularly.

Europe this season is secondary, we've only just returned to the top league after 3 years in the dross.

We need to walk before we run, and signing any old sheite as we've previously done is not the way forward.

We need sustained finishes at the top end of the league, which will then make us stronger for europe. If we lose to the greek side, its not the end of the world.

If it takes us longer to bring in the quality, then so be it, its not as if the club are not trying.

Danderhall Hibs
16-07-2018, 07:20 PM
This guy is a complete fraud. He’s not an agent to start with he goes round the boards looks for rumours and he blocked me for calling him out.

This guy is a complete fraud. He’s not an agent to start with he goes round the boards looks for rumours and he blocked me for calling him out.

I wasn’t dismissing it btw in case it came across like that. I’m saying the guy who tweeted is a plum and makes stuff up or trolls fans forums. Be great if Lennon has had a chat with him. If Hibs did get him be a bit of a coup considering the amount of clubs seemingly interested.

Definitely came across like that until there appeared to be legs in the rumour.

Still loads of complicated stuff can happen and you never know etc.

Famous Fiver
16-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Dodged a bullet,though.

Connor Sammon has gone on loan to Murderwell.

scoopyboy
16-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Aim for players we can't afford, wait till they become attainable (which there's no guarantee they will) and then see what's left if they don't become attainable. Also presumably gambling our European chances and our league start by waiting on these guys and starting the season short. Seems a risky signing policy for guys who aren't that bothered to come here in the first place.

There probably isn't an easy answer and certainly not a universal answer to when signings should be made. I will make a few points that I believe to be true in the majority of cases.

If you can get a pre contract sorted in January then so much the better as it gets you off to a flier. If you reckon it's a good un try and get a 3 or 4 year deal sorted.

If you are in Europe there is a bit more urgency to make signings early so better to try and get players / clubs to agree terms before players / officials go on holiday. In my opinion this isn't always easy as good players will often be prepared to see if anything better comes along, the carrot of Europe isn't that important to a lot of players. Again if you are pursuing a good player try and get a longer deal signed.

Players will often hold off signing as clubs get more involved in bidding / offering better deals as the window nears the old slam shut. Many of them really couldn't care if they miss the early rounds of European qualifiers.

It's often worth holding a bit of your budget back after deadline days as a lot of players negotiate bungs basically to f*** off and become free agents. This has happened with us in the past and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Scott Allan worked his ticket and became a free agent on deadline day. Hopefully then signing for us.

A lot of Hibs problems in recent seasons was that the majority of players were only on one or two year deals meaning lots of turnover which isn't clever. 3 or 4 year deals should mean if the club is doing well then only a few signings are required each season as opposed to lots.

The teams that make lots of early signings are usually in the bargain buckets, the players happy to get their future sorted out early because they know they aren't very good and are happy to commit.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:28 PM
We do not qualify for europe through our league position very often, and making sure we challenge again for europe NEXT season is our first target.

Europe should be our aim every season, and to have a team thats does well in it, we need to have a strong side who's been playing at the top end of the Scottish game regularly.

Europe this season is secondary, we've only just returned to the top league after 3 years in the dross.

We need to walk before we run, and signing any old sheite as we've previously done is not the way forward.

We need sustained finishes at the top end of the league, which will then make us stronger for europe. If we lose to the greek side, its not the end of the world.

If it takes us longer to bring in the quality, then so be it, its not as if the club are not trying.

While I actually agree with a lot of that, I would point out that we’ll no doubt be here again next year. Efe will be out of contract, Daz will be a year older, Whittaker will be a year older, Marv will be a year older, Swanson will be a year older, SDG may even be moved on if he doesn’t get much game time again. We can’t just write off European campaigns until the perfect situation presents itself where we finish a season in a European qualification spot and then lose none/next to no players.

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 07:31 PM
While I actually agree with a lot of that, I would point out that we’ll no doubt be here again next year. Efe will be out of contract, Daz will be a year older, Whittaker will be a year older, Marv will be a year older, Swanson will be a year older, SDG may even be moved on if he doesn’t get much game time again. We can’t just write off European campaigns until the perfect situation presents itself where we finish a season in a European qualification spot and then lose none/next to no players.

So, only some of the players will be a year older :confused:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 07:35 PM

Which is why i said a few years of sustained qualification must make us stronger and more able to make a better challenge in Europe.

And we will have January to bring in more players too.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:36 PM
So, only some of the players will be a year older :confused:

Of course I pointed they guys out because of the stage of their careers they’re at. They’re all into their 30s, Daz will be 34 by the time the next again season kicks off and Whittaker will be 35. If Efe doesn’t sign a new deal and Daz declines a bit we’ll be in a similar position to now where a huge chunk of one area of our team is gone due to being out of contact orcpossibly passed their best.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Of course I pointed they guys out because of the stage of their careers they’re at. They’re all into their 30s, Daz will be 34 by the time the next again season kicks off and Whittaker will be 35. If Efe doesn’t sign a new deal and Daz declines a bit we’ll be in a similar position to now where a huge chunk of one area of our team is gone due to being out of contact orcpossibly passed their best.

For every year Daz gets older, Porteous gets a year older too.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Which is why i said a few years of sustained qualification must make us stronger and more able to make a better challenge in Europe.

And we will have January to bring in more players too.

If a Hibs team is good enough to qualify for Europe then we’ll no doubt always have a reasonable amount of rebuilding to do most summers. Whether that be contracts expiring, best players being sold, players entering the latter stages of their career. And that’ll no doubt always be the case.

JIm
16-07-2018, 07:41 PM

And Kane O'Connor

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 07:42 PM

And for every year older/better Porteous gets the closer we’ll be to selling him. My point was that Hibs will always have rebuilding to do in the summer if we’re successful. We can’t write off European campaigns until one year we qualify and somehow we have nobody that is wanted by anyone else/out of contract etc and we’re ready to go with our full squad still intact and then at that point push for the groups.

Heisenberg
16-07-2018, 07:44 PM

So you’re now worrying about our summer transfer business next year before this window (and the January window) is even closed? :greengrin.

Our younger players will also be a year older. We’ll sign more players this summer, in January and next summer as well. We might not have them all signed before we get into Europe, but that’s highly unlikely to be achievable anyway.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 07:44 PM
If a Hibs team is good enough to qualify for Europe then we’ll no doubt always have a reasonable amount of rebuilding to do most summers. Whether that be contracts expiring, best players being sold, players entering the latter stages of their career. And that’ll no doubt always be the case.

Bringing in the right players on longer deals than the 1 and 2 years we've done in the past is better, and thats what we appear to be doing with new signings.

I guess Lennon and his team are deliberately delaying signings, just to annoy us, and there are no other reasons why we have not signed enough players for you yet.

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 07:47 PM

I was just pulling your leg...................I understood the point you were making :aok:

bingo70
16-07-2018, 07:50 PM
I’ve only been skim reading these posts but has the same argument/discussion not been going on for about 42 pages now?

Do people really need to get the final word? Agree to disagree maybe? Can’t see anyone’s mind being changed here so why not just move on?

Anyway, any rumours on the go? Mulumbu finished his medical yet?

HoboHarry
16-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Me anaw. Ferkin sucks........

Gaffer1875
16-07-2018, 07:58 PM
If/when we lose SJM and Simon Murray, I reckon we need 4 players.

1 CM, 1 winger and 2 strikers. For me the defence is solid.

I can see Allan returning but I’m not sure about McLaren or Barker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
16-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Just any players, for the sake of it?To be fair that's not what he's saying is it?? I think we all reasonably expected a few more in the door by now...our manager said as much at end of last season. I don't get the jumping down posters throats on here for expressing concern at a lack of signings with a huge euro tie just over a week away now.

Fwiw i do trust the board and Lennon to get the right players in but I understand certain fans frustration at lack of progress in this so far...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kato
16-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Like I said, I don't know what's going on at Hibs, so how would I know if we should be doing more?

Why worry so much then? And why, if you are worrying, do you need to publish the fact?

Borderhibbie76
16-07-2018, 08:07 PM
I’ve only been skim reading these posts but has the same argument/discussion not been going on for about 42 pages now?

Do people really need to get the final word? Agree to disagree maybe? Can’t see anyone’s mind being changed here so why not just move on?

Anyway, any rumours on the go? Mulumbu finished his medical yet?Bravo...best post I've read on this thread all summer Bingo [emoji106]

Greenworld
16-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Why worry so much then? And why, if you are worrying, do you need to publish the fact?I'm trying to be old which I am and objective about everything Hibs ..but something just does not seem right.
Purley gut feeling but I've never known NL to be so quiet on well everything

The John mcginn saga is starting to have an air of desperation about it.

Why have no English clubs bid is it just a red herring about their alleged interest.

Have hibs given celtic first refusal on the player and until they withdraw English clubs cannot bid.

Biggest transfer budget ever but only a couple of signings good ones I agree but it's no wonder fans are getting worried we need at least three more good quality ones in the door and preferably before the next euro tie

Rant over

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
16-07-2018, 08:16 PM
There probably isn't an easy answer and certainly not a universal answer to when signings should be made. I will make a few points that I believe to be true in the majority of cases.

If you can get a pre contract sorted in January then so much the better as it gets you off to a flier. If you reckon it's a good un try and get a 3 or 4 year deal sorted.

If you are in Europe there is a bit more urgency to make signings early so better to try and get players / clubs to agree terms before players / officials go on holiday. In my opinion this isn't always easy as good players will often be prepared to see if anything better comes along, the carrot of Europe isn't that important to a lot of players. Again if you are pursuing a good player try and get a longer deal signed.

Players will often hold off signing as clubs get more involved in bidding / offering better deals as the window nears the old slam shut. Many of them really couldn't care if they miss the early rounds of European qualifiers.

It's often worth holding a bit of your budget back after deadline days as a lot of players negotiate bungs basically to f*** off and become free agents. This has happened with us in the past and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Scott Allan worked his ticket and became a free agent on deadline day. Hopefully then signing for us.

A lot of Hibs problems in recent seasons was that the majority of players were only on one or two year deals meaning lots of turnover which isn't clever. 3 or 4 year deals should mean if the club is doing well then only a few signings are required each season as opposed to lots.

The teams that make lots of early signings are usually in the bargain buckets, the players happy to get their future sorted out early because they know they aren't very good and are happy to commit.

Finally 217 pages in we have someone say something worth reading (and yes I know I have posted on this thread before!)

Big_Franck
16-07-2018, 08:16 PM
To be fair that's not what he's saying is it?? I think we all reasonably expected a few more in the door by now...our manager said as much at end of last season. I don't get the jumping down posters throats on here for expressing concern at a lack of signings with a huge euro tie just over a week away now.

Fwiw i do trust the board and Lennon to get the right players in but I understand certain fans frustration at lack of progress in this so far...

Totally agree. Getting a bit boring with the same posters jumping down people's throats when they question the lack of signings. Our own manager said that he wanted the majority of our signings in by the start of pre season training. That hasn't happened and although its not the end of the world it is becoming frustrating.

Hopefully at some point we'll see a season where we are properly prepared for european competition. Its not looking like its going to be this one anyway.

Lewiehas2
16-07-2018, 08:22 PM

This is the most sensible view of what we're trying to do. It's having a multi-year project, the target is to be there by the date set, which obviously isn't now. If we reach our ambition early then great, but we can't be hitting the panic button now. If we're scrambling for players in 3/4 years time having struggled to get into Europe, then we can worry. But let's just look forward to another great season in the league, and anything we do in Europe is a massive bonus.

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 08:28 PM
I'm trying to be old which I am and objective about everything Hibs ..but something just does not seem right.

Why have no English clubs bid is it just a red herring about their alleged interest.

Have hibs given celtic first refusal on the player and until they withdraw English clubs cannot bid.

Biggest transfer budget ever but only a couple of signings good ones I agree but it's no wonder fans are getting worried we need at least three more good quality ones in the door and preferably before the next euro tie

Rant over

You don't have any faith that the Hibs management team are doing everyting they can then I assume?

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Totally agree. Getting a bit boring with the same posters jumping down people's throats when they question the lack of signings. Our own manager said that he wanted the majority of our signings in by the start of pre season training. That hasn't happened and although its not the end of the world it is becoming frustrating.

Hopefully at some point we'll see a season where we are properly prepared for european competition. Its not looking like its going to be this one anyway.

the best laid plans of mice and men...............

Kato
16-07-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to be old which I am and objective about everything Hibs ..but something just does not seem right.

Rant over

Ask a question about why someone has to tell everyone they're worried and I get a rant. This place is hilarious.

Greenworld
16-07-2018, 08:42 PM
You don't have any faith that the Hibs management team are doing everyting they can then I assume?Never said that the management and player recruitment team have I'm sure done there bit and come up with a list of players.
The directors tasked with bringing them in and a hell of a job that must be in this modern football world have clearly not managed to bring in who NL wanted at least not yet anyway.
And as I alluded to the lack of NL comments is well not like him

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 08:44 PM

4 seasons ago we were in the 2nd division, for 3 seasons, last season was our first season back in the 1st division, and we did so well we qualified for Europe.

I dont think we are ready or will be ready for a real challenge in Europe for a few seasons yet.

Greenworld
16-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Ask a question about why someone has to tell everyone they're worried and I get a rant. This place is hilarious.It was only a rant cause I said so otherwise a measured response I thought [emoji23][emoji23]

Greenworld
16-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know of we have given celtic first refusal on John mcginn?

houstonhibbee
16-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Never said that the management and player recruitment team have I'm sure done there bit and come up with a list of players.
The directors tasked with bringing them in and a hell of a job that must be in this modern football world have clearly not managed to bring in who NL wanted at least not yet anyway.

Demanding quality in turn demands patience methinks. All good things come to those wait goes the old saying................

Jim44
16-07-2018, 08:50 PM
We won’t go very far in Europe but that’s fine. We’re getting a wee taste of the rewards of playing well in the league and hopefully the boys will use it to spur themselves for a repeat of or better than last season.

Lago
16-07-2018, 08:53 PM
4 seasons ago we were in the 2nd division, for 3 seasons, last season was our first season back in the 1st division, and we did so well we qualified for Europe.

I dont think we are ready or will be ready for a real challenge in Europe for a few seasons yet.
Why then does our manager say he targeting the group stages, bravado ?

SquashedFrogg
16-07-2018, 08:55 PM

What else would you expect him to say?

Steveey
16-07-2018, 08:58 PM
i trust neil lennon

bingo70
16-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Of course he is targeting it and whoever we play he’ll expect us to win.

I’m sure there’s also a huge element of realism in there too though and he knows our success this season won’t be defined by reaching the group stages or not.

SquashedFrogg
16-07-2018, 08:59 PM
i trust neil lennon

Me too 100%

SquashedFrogg
16-07-2018, 09:00 PM

I’m sure there’s also a huge element of realism in there too though and he knows our success this season won’t be defined by reaching the group stages or not.

Post of the night! Agree completely.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Why worry so much then? And why, if you are worrying, do you need to publish the fact?

So unless you’re ITK you should just not bother posting? Or unless you’re happy with where we are then don’t bother?

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 09:15 PM

I agree with this and I think all the fans realise that we’re unlikely to make it to the groups even if we make 4 good signings before the Greek games. I do think though that Lennon will be looking for at least a couple of signings before they games to be able to make a decent fist of it. If they don’t come in I’d imagine he’ll be pretty furious.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2018, 09:19 PM

As others have said, he's not going to say we are getting pumped.

We should be through this round, and i'm pretty sure we will have more signings in soon, probably befor the next round.

The next round is against a team where we have a chance even with the team we have now, and we will be stronger, although they will probably sign players too, like every club in the world.

Nobody is finished with their signings yet.

16-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Never said that the management and player recruitment team have I'm sure done there bit and come up with a list of players.

Lennon did talk a little about the transfer situation in his press conference before the match last week.

https://youtu.be/RyiH9PdBO6c

PatHead
16-07-2018, 09:27 PM
I agree with this and I think all the fans realise that we’re unlikely to make it to the groups even if we make 4 good signings before the Greek games. I do think though that Lennon will be looking for at least a couple of signings before they games to be able to make a decent fist of it. If they don’t come in I’d imagine he’ll be pretty furious.
And everyone else knows he won’t be furious. As long as he knows we are targeting the right players and the quality he is looking for he will be fine. You are just a a attention seeking bed wetter.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 09:33 PM
And everyone else knows he won’t be furious. As long as he knows we are targeting the right players and the quality he is looking for he will be fine. You are just a a attention seeking bed wetter.

You know that do you? Personal digs are a bit pathetic pal.

Northernhibee
16-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Let's call a spade a spade and sort this out with a big old bowl of puns :hyper

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Let's call a spade a spade and sort this out with a big old bowl of puns :hyper

Please no puns :greengrin

PatHead
16-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Not as pathetic as your daily panicking. You just need to accept that everyone at Easter Road is doing the best they can and not sitting on their hands. Transfers take time to happen if you want players who have options. Who have we missed out on so far?

ancient hibee
16-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know of we have given celtic first refusal on John mcginn?

Why on earth would Hibs give anyone first refusal(whatever that is) on our top player who is under contract to Hibs for another 12months?

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Not as pathetic as your daily panicking. You just need to accept that everyone at Easter Road is doing the best they can and not sitting on their hands. Transfers take time to happen if you want players who have options. Who have we missed out on so far?

Taking personal digs at people on the internet for having a different opinion to you is the sort of behaviour you’d expect from a 12 year old. I have no idea who we’ve missed out on, neither do you, neither does 99% of this board. It doesn’t mean we can’t discuss it. Infact if we only discussed things we knew were facts rather than opinions the board would rarely have any new posts.

PatHead
16-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Taking personal digs at people on the internet for having a different opinion to you is the sort of behaviour you’d expect from a 12 year old. I have no idea who we’ve missed out on, neither do you, neither does 99% of this board. It doesn’t mean we can’t discuss it. Infact if we only discussed things we knew were facts rather than opinions the board would rarely have any new posts.
Problem is you are not discussing anything. You are just moaning and panicking for no reason. You deserve to be called out on it and have been over the last few weeks by a few folk. The bottom line is you will need to be patient. Hibs future does not depend on beating a Greek team. Ideally we will but if we don’t it is not the end of the world. I would far rather we waited on sealing the right deal than getting a Rowan Vine. Complaining every day will not change anything.

calumhibee1
16-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Problem is you are not discussing anything. You are just moaning and panicking for no reason. You deserve to be called out on it and have been over the last few weeks by a few folk. The bottom line is you will need to be patient. Hibs future does not depend on beating a Greek team. Ideally we will but if we don’t it is not the end of the world. I would far rather we waited on sealing the right deal than getting a Rowan Vine. Complaining every day will not change anything.

I’ve discussed plenty. A discussion doesn’t mean I need to convert to whoever I’m discussing withs way of thinking. As I’ve said elsewhere, if you don’t like my posts, pop me on your ignore list and you’ll not need to get upset over my posts to the point you start taking digs at people over the internet and dressing it up as you doing a public service by “calling me out”.

Anyway, fingers crossed for some new signings within the next week.

CapitalGreen
16-07-2018, 10:45 PM

That would be bliss, “quality not quantity” in action.

speedy_gonzales
16-07-2018, 11:10 PM
And why would St Mirren have signed up to a deal like that when we acquired their prize asset? I don’t know why but it seems like people are looking at possible scenarios where we wouldn’t have to give any cash to St Mirren for John McGinn. That would only happen if he saw out his contract and walked for nothing.

Perhaps I'm misremembering but was there not also the situation that J McG & his agent were threatening the club with legal action after John was kebab'd in the thigh by Steven Thomson during some training session high jinks?
Before he came to us I'm sure I heard/read it somewhere that he wanted his release to be unhindered or else he pursue a personal injury claim,,,, could be garbage though.

cabbageandribs1875
16-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Perhaps I'm misremembering but was there not also the situation that J McG & his agent were threatening the club with legal action after John was kebab'd in the thigh by Steven Thomson during some training session high jinks?
Before he came to us I'm sure I heard/read it somewhere that he wanted his release to be unhindered or else he pursue a personal injury claim,,,, could be garbage though.

no, you're correct, i obviously don't know if that's why we got him on the cheap, i also believe this 33% figure that gets banded about is far too high a %

Scott Allan Key
16-07-2018, 11:43 PM

Your last point confirmed by Leeann who believes we’re ahead of schedule for our Europa League ambitions.

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Why on earth would Hibs give anyone first refusal(whatever that is) on our top player who is under contract to Hibs for another 12months?It may have been requested and agreed at some point with all the players we have had from celtic over the last few seasons.
Contract time is irrelevant.
A simple mechanism where by other teams cannot bid and they have first chance to pay the valuation the club put on the player.

It's no big deal ancient might explain why no news on other bids that's all

blackpoolhibs
17-07-2018, 06:33 AM

Jim44
17-07-2018, 07:16 AM
It may have been requested and agreed at some point with all the players we have had from celtic over the last few seasons.
Contract time is irrelevant.
A simple mechanism where by other teams cannot bid and they have first chance to pay the valuation the club put on the player.

It's no big deal ancient might explain why no news on other bids that's all

I doubt if that existed, but in any case, we got McGinn from St Mirren and he has/had heehaw to do with Celtic. Why would we give Celtic first refusal on any player totally disconnected with them?

matty_f
17-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Bit more on Horgan, it's us that have stalled the deal as we've potentially got alternatives lined up. The Record is reporting the boy Johnston from Celtc, there may also be movement on Barker but we will need to wait for him.

Was told any of the three could sign, Horgan most likely through to Barker least likely.

Diclonius
17-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Bit more on Horgan, it's us that have stalled the deal as we've potentially got alternatives lined up. The Record is reporting the boy Johnston from Celtc, there may also be movement on Barker but we will need to wait for him.

Was told any of the three could sign, Horgan most likely through to Barker least likely.

Fair enough. Thanks!

Ronniekirk
17-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Aiden Smith in the Scotsman (Hibs fan) now certain Mcginn going to Celtic and some papers reporting Mcginn himself has told Hibs he wants to go to them
So the pressure is being cranked up and Celtic reluctant to pay more then 2.5!Million plus a player
The Winger Johnston being mentioned again on Loan for a year
If we got that plus Scott Allan I would be happy enough

FilipinoHibs
17-07-2018, 08:02 AM
According to Herald today, 2.5m plus Allan will be next offer and McGinn wants to go to Celtic.

Diclonius
17-07-2018, 08:04 AM
According to Herald today, 2.5m plus Allan will be next offer and McGinn wants to go to Celtic.

We'll accept that nae bother.

Stuart93
17-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Would probably take that

IWasThere2016
17-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Aiden Smith in the Scotsman (Hibs fan) now certain Mcginn going to Celtic and some papers reporting Mcginn himself has told Hibs he wants to go to them
So the pressure is being cranked up and Celtic reluctant to pay more then 2.5!Million plus a player
The Winger Johnston being mentioned again on Loan for a year
If we got that plus Scott Allan I would be happy enough

McGinn definitely told Hibs last week it was Cellic and only Cellic he'd move to.

Smartie
17-07-2018, 08:08 AM

If they'd only started there it would be done by now and both clubs would have their man in place for Europe.

IWasThere2016
17-07-2018, 08:10 AM
If they'd only started there it would be done by now and both clubs would have their man in place for Europe.

It is incredible how petty and how incremental the sums in negotiations can be.

Mikey
17-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Whit? You mean we didn't sign the first winger who came along and we're waiting for better?

Someone's not gonna be happy :hilarious

Big_Franck
17-07-2018, 08:14 AM
If they are now offering £2.5m plus Allan permanent and Mikey Johnston on loan I'd take that now. Get it done and the 2 boys in asap. I'd prefer Lewis Morgan on loan but it seems like he might get a bit of game time this year. Shame as he'd be a great signing for us.

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 08:22 AM
If they are now offering £2.5m plus Allan permanent and Mikey Johnston on loan I'd take that now. Get it done and the 2 boys in asap. I'd prefer Lewis Morgan on loan but it seems like he might get a bit of game time this year. Shame as he'd be a great signing for us.Agree time to move on that would a reasonable deal.
About 700k to St mirren that gives hibs a nice transfer war chest .
Need some fresh names to talk about [emoji23][emoji23]

CRAZYHIBBY
17-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Celtic have the upper hand as usual...he wants to go there and now we have a choice of accepting whatever scraps they give us or lose him for nothing in january.

Ronniekirk
17-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Celtic have the upper hand as usual...he wants to go there and now we have a choice of accepting whatever scraps they give us or lose him for nothing in january.

They do have the upper hand now Mcginn is forcing the move .Celtic won't increase money now ,so all we can do is hold out for the players we want from them and hope we get them

stoneyburn hibs
17-07-2018, 08:41 AM
2.5m plus Allan and a decent sell on clause would be decent.

J-C
17-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Agree time to move on that would a reasonable deal.
About 700k to St mirren that gives hibs a nice transfer war chest .
Need some fresh names to talk about [emoji23][emoji23]

Be nearer to £800K and around the same for the 3g pitch, it'll still give us around £1m in the bank for transfers and wages.

JimboHibs
17-07-2018, 08:43 AM

😂😂😂

J-C
17-07-2018, 08:46 AM

I think when the player has made up his mind it was always going to be hard, we knew going south was going to get us better money and with a year left getting near £3m was always going to be maximum, 2.5 and Allan works out around the £3m figure.

mayo hibee
17-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Good to see possible news of a bit of movement this morning, would be great to finalise the McGinn deal and get two or three in before the next round in Europe. £2.5m plus Allan plus a loan player would be acceptable to me. The only downside is that Horgan would be a better loan signing than Johnston - much more experienced player and we wouldn't be developing a player for a rival team - but Johnston would obviously be cheaper and might give us more cash to play with for a striker and a defensive midfielder, both of which are clearly needed.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-07-2018, 08:56 AM
😂😂😂

Someone stuck a feather up your erse?

Ozyhibby
17-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Good to see possible news of a bit of movement this morning, would be great to finalise the McGinn deal and get two or three in before the next round in Europe. £2.5m plus Allan plus a loan player would be acceptable to me. The only downside is that Horgan would be a better loan signing than Johnston - much more experienced player and we wouldn't be developing a player for a rival team - but Johnston would obviously be cheaper and might give us more cash to play with for a striker and a defensive midfielder, both of which are clearly needed.

If the money saved by going with Johnstone rather than Horgan gets someone better like Kamara in the middle then I’m all for it.

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Be nearer to £800K and around the same for the 3g pitch, it'll still give us around £1m in the bank for transfers and wages.Due to exceptional weather no 3G required so we have a bigger budget we can use that to sign henderson [emoji38][emoji38]

Danderhall Hibs
17-07-2018, 10:24 AM
McGinn definitely told Hibs last week it was Cellic and only Cellic he'd move to.

I’m delighted you’ve got sources again.

Sweet Left Peg
17-07-2018, 10:25 AM
2.5m plus Allan and a decent sell on clause would be decent.

A sell on clause is a must. Minimum 10%

Speedway
17-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Hendo to Hibs might not be as daft as it seems at first glance.

Hibby Kay-Yay
17-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Someone stuck a feather up your erse?

Think the poster was referring to the ‘list him for nowt’ part.

SJM would still be our contracted player, so even if he did sign a pre contract then money would still be needed if Celtc wanted him in that window. 👍🏻

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 10:33 AM

Not now, with The mental stuff happening at Bari

alihibs1
17-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Hendo to Hibs might not be as daft as it seems at first glance.You heard something? I'd be suprised. He's been a success in Italy and it has been rumoured that Big teams like Fiorentina and Parma are interested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
17-07-2018, 10:43 AM

If Serie A teams are in for him sadly I think we've no chance.

So we're rumoured to be in for:

S Allan
R Christie
L Henderson
M Johnston
Mulumbu
D Horgan
B Barker

How many midfielders to we need?

cabbageandribs1875
17-07-2018, 10:46 AM
McGinn to the lessers, Leigh Griffiths, Scott Allan permanent, and a loan player for the season

no money exchanges hands but we give st.mirren a goodwill gesture of £33 quid....sorted, stuff them

again, sorted

:)

bingo70
17-07-2018, 10:46 AM
You heard something? I'd be suprised. He's been a success in Italy and it has been rumoured that Big teams like Fiorentina and Parma are interested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As much as a move like that would be great for him, he might just be missing his home comforts.

He comes across as a mature guy and on the basis of some of his photos on Instagram he seems to be enjoying Italy but maybe he just misses not having pals across there that speak English? Maybe he misses his family? Maybe he feels he wouldn't get a game for one of those big clubs, he's already been at a huge club with Celtic so his motivation could be to make sure he's playing every week? Maybe he just really enjoyed his time at Hibs and wants to come back.

Wishful thinking probably but i don't think any of the above are out of the question and all could be significant factors when choosing his next club.

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Would we take Henderson over Allan?

Between him and Mallan we would have some set pieces [emoji1303]

KWJ
17-07-2018, 10:54 AM
If the money saved by going with Johnstone rather than Horgan gets someone better like Kamara in the middle then I’m all for it.

Aye, not all that excited about the prospect of Johnston on loan, would much rather have Christie or Morgan. Makes more sense for Johnston to go to someone like St. Mirren and I wouldn't want him pushing our own youngsters down the pecking order. Unless of course he turns out to be **** hot! But from what I've seen of him he's still got a bit of a ways to go before he'd be in our first team.

Hermit Crab

Personally I'd rather have SA.

makaveli1875
If Serie A teams are in for him sadly I think we've no chance.

So we're rumoured to be in for:

S Allan
R Christie
L Henderson
M Johnston
Mulumbu
D Horgan
B Barker

How many midfielders to we need?

i doubt we will sign them all , Allan , Mulumbu and Johnston or Barker would do me

bingo70
17-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Opinions eh.

I'd rather have Henderson.

If we could get both i'd wet my knickers a little bit.

supermcginn
17-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Yip, allan without doubt!

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Interesting one eh

Surely the guy being hyped up and linked with seria A clubs in Italy is a better player than someone who on loan at Dundee last year?

500miles
17-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Henderson certainly has a natural aggression and tenacity that Mcginn and McGeouch's departure has left us wanting.

I very much doubt it would be a case of either or however, and a midfield trio of Allan, Mallan and Henderson is dream territory.

SaulGoodman
17-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Am I the only one that, despite the obvious game, never thought Henderson was that good?

Thecat23
17-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Scott Allan every day of the week for me. I think his passing is far more effective. I’d love to see Hendo back but if it was between them I’d take Allan.

Ken
17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
I’d definitely rather have Allan. Going by his time at Hibs (both spells), I’d value him on a 3 year deal at £2m+

P.s. don’t tell Celtic that

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Am I the only one that, despite the obvious game, never thought Henderson was that good?

The thing i liked about Hendo, was even when having a poor game - his attitude and work rate still helped us out

Be an unbelievable signing for us

One that would likely make us a bit wedge of cash in the future too

bingo70
17-07-2018, 11:13 AM

I would hope so :wink:

The guy was class IMO and worth remembering he was only about 19 i think when he played for us?

mentalhibee
17-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Henderson would be the ultimate signing for me, great player. Would also be a great investment for Hibs.

Borderhibbie76
17-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Scott Allan every day of the week for me. I think his passing is far more effective. I’d love to see Hendo back but if it was between them I’d take Allan.This for me Allan on his game is just a joy to watch and fits us like a glove.

Stevie Reid
17-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Allan over Henderson for me every time, if there was a choice to be made. Would love to see LH back here too though.

SirDavidsNapper
17-07-2018, 11:19 AM

I've said that on here a couple of times. He didn't even start the final remember.

MWHIBBIES
17-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Henderson certainly has a natural aggression and tenacity that Mcginn and McGeouch's departure has left us wanting.

I very much doubt it would be a case of either or however, and a midfield trio of Allan, Mallan and Henderson is dream territory.For the opposition yes, that midfield would get walked all over.

Thecat23
17-07-2018, 11:21 AM
This for me Allan on his game is just a joy to watch and fits us like a glove.

That’s exactly it. Allan on his game is unplayable, his vision is something else. His passing into the channels for our strikers is brilliant.

guthrie01
17-07-2018, 11:27 AM
I've said that on here a couple of times. He didn't even start the final remember.

Boyle didn’t even play the final and yet is one of our key players today

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 11:31 AM
I think long term, Henderson wins hands down for

Think he is a much better investment for the club

Wouldnt be moaning at either though [emoji1303]

Wonder why we are holding up Horgan...interesting if Lennon sees M Johnstone as a better option

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 11:34 AM
That’s exactly it. Allan on his game is unplayable, his vision is something else. His passing into the channels for our strikers is brilliant.Both very different players but both would be great

Barman Stanton
17-07-2018, 11:36 AM
This for me Allan on his game is just a joy to watch and fits us like a glove.

How I see it as well. Allan just seems to shine at Hibs. As much as I like Henderson, I would pick Allan every time.

Captain Trips
17-07-2018, 11:37 AM
The Henderson we had has now had a good spell in Italy to gain experience. Be interesting to see him again.

CapitalGreen
17-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Wonder why we are holding up Horgan...interesting if Lennon sees M Johnstone as a better option

I'd be concerned if that was the case.

Dropping our interest in a guy who's made over 260 first team appearances (17 in Europe) and capped for his country in favour of a 19 year old with 230 minutes of first team football.

Springbank
17-07-2018, 11:40 AM

This is a general comment, I've no info on the 2 players in question.

Sometimes, from a managers point of view, they might feel picking and motivating a player on the way up is the better bet than keeping the fire burning in someone who has been up a cul-de-sac recently and is needing to get going again.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2018, 11:43 AM

He was just a young player when he joined us, has natural ability, and great set plays
Think he would be a fantastic signing for Hibs, if we could pull it off
He’s not played a lot of football in Scotland/Italy top flights, so a move to a team like Hibs, should be his next step

Barman Stanton
17-07-2018, 11:44 AM
This is a general comment, I've no info on the 2 players in question.

Sometimes, from a managers point of view, they might feel picking and motivating a player on the way up is the better bet than keeping the fire burning in someone who has been up a cul-de-sac recently and is needing to get going again.

This. Lennon has also been vocal in the past about getting the right kind of character in the club. It may just be he thinks Johnstone is a better fit for the club.

SeanWilson
17-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Allan is the key to strikers like Flo. Some of his passes are just a level above. Mallan looks like he can deliver... I'd welcome Hendo back with open arms but Allan is a must for me.

londonhibby
17-07-2018, 11:58 AM

I get the feeling Horgan's a lost cause and Lennon knows that:

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/north-end-winger-daryl-horgan-focused-on-place-in-the-starting-xi-1-9253504

keep the faith
17-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Scott Allan every day of the week for me. I think his passing is far more effective. I’d love to see Hendo back but if it was between them I’d take Allan.

This.

Beefster
17-07-2018, 12:05 PM

He’s been lionised for his part in the cup final and his affinity for Hibs but he was a good young player with potential. Would be a great addition in the unlikely event that he signed for us.

neil7908
17-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Allan over Henderson for me every time, if there was a choice to be made. Would love to see LH back here too though.

Henderson for me but that's partly looking at the future.

Joe6-2
17-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Just wish something was sorted!!

calumhibee1
17-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Likewise. Allan in a Hibs strip is way above the level we should be able to sign.

Kavinho
17-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Looking forward the window closing.
Just to kill this thread

Hermit Crab
17-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Just to kill this thread

This thread has been dead for weeks now.

Kavinho
17-07-2018, 12:57 PM
All be it top of the list

Zazu62
17-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Just to kill this thread

Aye it’s been a bad yin

calumhibee1
17-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Just to kill this thread

Don’t read it then? I didn’t like the calendar thread that went on (possibly still going on?) for years, so I just didn’t open it. Easy to avoid if it bothers you.

Allant1981
17-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Don’t read it then? I didn’t like the calendar thread that went on (possibly still going on?) for years, so I just didn’t open it. Easy to avoid if it bothers you.

difference is clear though, this is a transfer thread so people are looking for updates not people constantly moaning

CockneyRebel
17-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Henderson for me but that's partly looking at the future.

Allan could also be one for the future, he's not ready for his pension just yet. If we could get the financials to keep him here for 3 years and he plays as consistently for us as he has before then he would still have a great sell on value if he then opted to go for a big contract. Maybe stuff like bonus's for wins, league placings, trophies etc. could muddle around the present structure (and not just for him) because all those bonus's would be self supporting in the long run. I really don't know why he shines so brightly for us and not elsewhere but long may it continue.

Like everyone else I have a huge love-in for Hendo for obvious reasons but since he left us I have not seen him play so I have no idea if, or how much, he has progressed. Granted his work rate and enthusiasm were a huge part of his game but I don't know if he has added any more to his game so for me he would be a little bit of a punt. I know he is playing at a decent level and I wouldn't be sad if we signed him but if it's Allan or Henderson then I would go for what I know and have seen and sign Allan in a heartbeat.

sphibee
17-07-2018, 01:58 PM
If there is a choice between Allan or Henderson, then it has to be Henderson every time for me.
Don't get me wrong I would love Allan to sign permanently here also, however I just have a nagging doubt that he wont be as effective next season along with a few others with out McGinn and McGeouch behind him.
In terms of career also, Allan really has only done the business for us barring the young days at United, everywhere else he hasn't really cut it. Henderson has only turned 22, he has that drive, he gets stuck in and technically as well he isn't that far off Scotty, and as set pieces go... :greengrin
Think it would be incredible signing if pulled it off as he still has a lot of improvement left in him but really the interest from Fiorentina and Parma says it all. Don't think we have a chance at all at signing him so I guess i'll just have to settle for Allan :thumbsup:

Jim44
17-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Possibly not, but you are all wrong, IMO. :greengrin

Barman Stanton
17-07-2018, 02:31 PM
I do understand some people getting worried about lack of transfers. But I would far rather we took our time and got the players in that we want. It’s not like they are not trying.

I feel we are probably shopping in a different market than we are used to so some don’t realise how complex the deals are. If they take longer then so be it. Better than filling our team with squad fillers like we have previously.

Getting players of the standard of Kamberi and Mallan on long contracts shows what we are all about now.

BoomtownHibees
17-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Rodgers rules out Johnston loan “for now”

Haymaker
17-07-2018, 02:47 PM
:hyper

jacomo
17-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Likewise. Allan in a Hibs strip is way above the level we should be able to sign.

Given we’ve got Swanson and Mallan for the attacking midfield role but have lost Dylan and likely to lose SJM, might not Hendo offer a better balance to our squad?

Of course maybe Mallan could play a bit deeper, and we still need 2 or 3 players in.

The_Horde
17-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Given we’ve got Swanson and Mallan for the attacking midfield role but have lost Dylan and likely to lose SJM, might not Hendo offer a better balance to our squad?

Of course maybe Mallan could play a bit deeper, and we still need 2 or 3 players in.

Hendo could play deeper too. Imo that's where he should end up, he's never really had much pace and his passing has always been his forte.

BegbieHSC
17-07-2018, 02:57 PM
I’m saying it now - Hendo won’t happen. We’ve had 4 transfer windows of hoping and praying, and it hasn’t ever materialised. Canny have any more heartache, so I’m personally dismissing the prospect in my mind :p.

J-C
17-07-2018, 02:58 PM
I'll be greedy and want them both, we'll be fighting on several fronts and need as much quality as possible. Of we get Allan and Henderson it may be time up for Bartley and Swanson.

danhibees1875
17-07-2018, 03:08 PM
difference is clear though, this is a transfer thread so people are looking for updates not people constantly moaning

If something actually happens this will probably be the last place you'll read about it.

Stuart93
17-07-2018, 03:24 PM
I’m saying it now - Hendo won’t happen. We’ve had 4 transfer windows of hoping and praying, and it hasn’t ever materialised. Canny have any more heartache, so I’m personally dismissing the prospect in my mind :p.

And he's been a free agent in none of them

Speedway
17-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Have you seen the state of Cher in the new Mama Mia promo? There can't be many original parts left.

Hibs90
17-07-2018, 03:33 PM
So is there anything to note happening? Apparently Murray has signed for the South African team according to a posted on Pie and Bovril..

Anything else or is it just more complete guff?:confused:

IWasThere2016
17-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Rodgers rules out Johnston loan “for now”

Aye.. my man alerted me to this earlier. He said it was Morgan before..

He also says Celtc wants 30m from Juve for Tierney

Speedway
17-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Horgan staying at PNE.

Thecat23
17-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Aye.. my man alerted me to this earlier. He said it was Morgan before..

He also says Celtc wants 30m from Juve for Tierney

Morgan would be a great signing.

Lago
17-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Horgan staying at PNE.
From not wanted to wanted.:rolleyes:

h185forever
17-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Horgan staying at PNE.

link ?

Jim44
17-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Have you seen the state of Cher in the new Mama Mia promo? There can't be many original parts left.

..... naughty!!! :greengrin

Ps ...... she looked all right on the radio this morning on the Chris Evans show.

Silky
17-07-2018, 04:20 PM
link ?

Nah, square. And a roll, please?

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 04:22 PM
From not wanted to wanted.:rolleyes:

or from wanted, to not wanted

depending on whos perspective you are looking from

h185forever
17-07-2018, 04:23 PM

wee soft egg on top ?

patlowe
17-07-2018, 04:27 PM
If Serie A clubs were after Hendo for millions I would imagine they'll now be even more keen to snap him up on a free. To coin a phrase, Hendo's not coming home.

bigwheel
17-07-2018, 04:31 PM
If Serie A clubs were after Hendo for millions I would imagine they'll now be even more keen to snap him up on a free. To coin a phrase, Hendo's not coming home.

fair point - and as a free agent , he will get an ever bigger chunk of a signing on fee....good on him...

The_Horde
17-07-2018, 04:32 PM

What if he's had enough of being on the bench at a big club?

neil7908
17-07-2018, 04:34 PM
What if he's had enough of being on the bench at a big club?

I think there's a middle ground between us and the likes of Fiorentina. If he is fancies coming back to the UK and wants to play football I just can't believe it will be with us.

AlbertK86
17-07-2018, 04:35 PM
So Rogers saying Johnston very much in his plans.

Confirmed his best position is coming in off the left.

Same as both Sinclair, Hayes and Morgan.

He did say he was learning on the right.

Think it’s more mind games by BR to build up Johnston and similar to what he has done making out Allan is capable of playing for Celtic.

Designed to keep the cash price down to jobs if these two are part of the deal

Stuart93
17-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Horgan staying at PNE...here's to you liam henderson

danhibees1875
17-07-2018, 04:43 PM

Source?

Winston Ingram
17-07-2018, 06:14 PM

17 new heads and 14 new handles I believe 😎

Hibbyradge
17-07-2018, 06:20 PM
17 new heads and 14 new handles I believe 😎

Well said, Dave.

Lago
17-07-2018, 06:30 PM
or from wanted, to not wanted

depending on whos perspective you are looking from
Clever :greengrin

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Good article

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-right-to-hold-out-for-best-john-mcginn-deal-says-celtic-skipper-scott-brown-1-4770090

Greenworld
17-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Murray gone 150k by the looks of it

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-accept-150-000-bid-for-striker-simon-murray-1-4770182

Jim44
17-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Good article

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-right-to-hold-out-for-best-john-mcginn-deal-says-celtic-skipper-scott-brown-1-4770090

Tapping up in my book. Yes, he concedes that Hibs should hold out for a good deal but the rest of it is an unacceptable ‘come on’. Celtic have not been invited to talk to McGinn but what Brown is saying is tantamount to it. :tsk tsk:

Heisenberg
17-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Hopefully we are close to getting a new striker in with Murray being shipped out. Suppose it’s possible that the offer we got for him was too good to turn down though.

Callum_62
17-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Tapping up in my book. Yes, he concedes that Hibs should hold out for a good deal but the rest of it is an unacceptable ‘come on’. Celtic have not been invited to talk to McGinn but what Brown is saying is tantamount to it. :tsk tsk:

Way hes talking him up probably just added a fair whack to our asking price[emoji23]

dp00
18-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Not sure it’s tapping up , players talk at different clubs all the time

If anything sounds like brown has gave him some good advise from when he moved which will hopefully stop this getting like the brown/Thomson moves of years ago

Greenworld
18-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Tapping up in my book. Yes, he concedes that Hibs should hold out for a good deal but the rest of it is an unacceptable ‘come on’. Celtic have not been invited to talk to McGinn but what Brown is saying is tantamount to it. :tsk tsk:Way I see it is celtic own manager and captain having a go at Peter l for not paying his worth and having him in by now

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Hopefully we are close to getting a new striker in with Murray being shipped out. Suppose it’s possible that the offer we got for him was too good to turn down though.Surely tho we wouldn't have let him go if someone wasn't lined up?? We can't seriously go into the Greek ties with just Kamberi and Shaw as our 2 strikers can we??

Ps I am happy to see Murray go as nowhere near the level required imo

Callum_62
18-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Surely tho we wouldn't have let him go if someone wasn't lined up?? We can't seriously go into the Greek ties with just Kamberi and Shaw as our 2 strikers can we??

Ps I am happy to see Murray go as nowhere near the level required imo

Maybe this offer was just too good to turn down

Greenworld
18-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Maybe this offer was just too good to turn down

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's a 150k and a wage to add the budget

Hibernian32
18-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen for the class of 92’s Non league Salford😂

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen for the class of 92’s Non league Salford😂

Bizarre one this. What division are they in to afford him

CraigHibee
18-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Rooney is a decent player, went off the boil a little at Aberdeen but could still do the job for a premiership team Imo

brog
18-07-2018, 09:14 AM

It's just a fact of life Jim, it's the way transfers work & has been for many years. Scotty actually seems to be helping here.

BoltonHibee
18-07-2018, 09:16 AM

I think they got promoted to the National League last season ( I think that was previously known as The Conference)

Graham Alexander is the new manager.

JeMeSouviens
18-07-2018, 09:18 AM

They've just been promoted to the National League (what used to be the Conference), next step is League 2, ie. Football League proper.

St Pauli Hibee
18-07-2018, 09:18 AM

As the name suggests class of 92. Owners Gary & Phil Neville along with Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt & i think Paul Scholes

Money shouldn't be to much of a problem for them to be honest

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 09:24 AM
As the name suggests class of 92. Owners Gary & Phil Neville along with Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt & i think Paul Scholes

Money shouldn't be to much of a problem for them to be honest

Maybe they are missing the other “Rooney”

MoscowHibs
18-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Aye for sure she wid melt if next to a radiator. Still worth a bang, aye probably, wi a few beers first.

Hibbyradge
18-07-2018, 09:44 AM

It's already in the public domain that Celtc have made offers so it's legitimate to discuss the situation.

Hibs have made no secret of the fact that we want McLaren and Allen and you can be certain that Hibs had fulsome discussions with both players although they're still contracted to their teams.

I'm also sure that as soon as a player becomes aware that another club is interested in signing him, they'll be doing their own research about it.

And if he knows players at the club, his research will involve talking to them.

"Tapping up" is a grey area, but I think it only really applies if the parent club doesn't know about the approach which is clearly not the case with McGinn.

SirDavidsNapper
18-07-2018, 10:01 AM
It's already in the public domain that Celtc have made offers so it's legitimate to discuss the situation.

Hibs have made no secret of the fact that we want McLaren and Allen and you can be certain that Hibs had fulsome discussions with both players although they're still contracted to their teams.

I'm also sure that as soon as a player becomes aware that another club is interested in signing him, they'll be doing their own research about it.

"Tapping up" is a grey area, but I think it only really applies if the parent club doesn't know about the approach which is clearly not the case with McGinn.

:agree: I don't see anything wrong with what Brown has said or done. They know each other and there'll be banter over the transfer between them. If anything Browns praise will have bumped McGinns value up a bit.

jacomo
18-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Scott Brown on BBC website today saying how hard it is for Celtc to qualify for Champions League.

He wants other Scottish clubs to do better in Europe to improve Scotland’s ranking.

Well, here’s how Celtc could have helped - as soon as Armstrong’s transfer to Southampton was confirmed, they should have made us a credible offer for SJM and helped us to put our squad together earlier.

Then we would be better placed for our own qualifying ties.

Nevi_SOL
18-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Scott Brown on BBC website today saying how hard it is for Celtc to qualify for Champions League.

He wants other Scottish clubs to do better in Europe to improve Scotland’s ranking.

Well, here’s how Celtc could have helped - as soon as Armstrong’s transfer to Southampton was confirmed, they should have made us a credible offer for SJM and helped us to put our squad together earlier.

Then we would be better placed for our own qualifying ties.

Also stealing every other Scottish teams best players don’t help

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2018, 10:29 AM

I hope not.

JeMeSouviens
18-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Now that every player's agent(s) is/are well known, and the clubs all use multiple agents as well, there is effectively no longer even the faintest prohibition against it.

Centre Hawf
18-07-2018, 10:36 AM
I hope not.

You wouldn't take Hendo over Allan? :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Nope, similar to most of the other people that responded to the post. I'd happily have them both though.

Centre Hawf
18-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Nope, similar to most of the other people that responded to the post. I'd happily have them both though.

Apologies I haven't read the rest of the thread so haven't seen what others said.

I know why people say Allan over Hendo, Allan in a Hibs jersey has been phenomenal. But the way I see it Hendo is attracting offers from Fiorentina and Parma for £2m. There would be an opportunity to make money off Hendo coming to Hibs.

It's all trivial though because I can't see him ever being back at Hibs, especially after his success in Italy.

supermcginn
18-07-2018, 10:50 AM

No thanks

WestStandWillie
18-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Have them both. That midfield would be braw.

Tobias Funke
18-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Have them both. That midfield would be braw.

Agreed. Although Allan before Henderson every day of the week. Allans ability to unlock a defence is priceless.

Callum_62
18-07-2018, 10:59 AM
I think Henderson will easily outstrip Allan in transfer fees and probably “success”

ian cruise
18-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Apologies I haven't read the rest of the thread so haven't seen what others said.

I know why people say Allan over Hendo, Allan in a Hibs jersey has been phenomenal. But the way I see it Hendo is attracting offers from Fiorentina and Parma for £2m. There would be an opportunity to make money off Hendo coming to Hibs.

It's all trivial though because I can't see him ever being back at Hibs, especially after his success in Italy.

I can just imagine the uproar on here as soon as someone tries to buy Henderson though, it's been bad enough with McGinn.

calumhibee1
18-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Neither would i. Allan in a Hibs strip is the most talented player in the league outside Celtic IMO. I do agree with you that Hendo has much higher sell on potential but I’d rather we mainly based it on ability on the pitch.

keep the faith
18-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Allan every day of the week. Hendo would be nice in addition though.

Centre Hawf
18-07-2018, 11:17 AM
I can just imagine the uproar on here as soon as someone tries to buy Henderson though, it's been bad enough with McGinn.

It's part of life as a Hibs fan for me. If we want good players we have to accept that bigger/richer clubs will want those players, and the players themselves will fancy a chance to do something bigger than what we can probably give them.

The best a player can hope to achieve while at Hibs is what John actually has in his time here. A Scottish Cup win (albeit none will ever be as historic), almost done a double, The title win in the championship is decent and memorable but not something I ever want someone to achieve at Hibs again for obvious reasons. And he's now a regular call-up for Scotland.

The next logical step for him would be to go to Celtic and get a league winners medal, some champions league football. Nail down the Scotland starting spot. Maybe in a few years he'll fancy a crack at winning a European trophy at some level and decide his next move will be an Everton or another top 10 premiership team. At that point I'm sure Celtic fans will be just as annoyed as some of us are now.

We have to just enjoy these guys while they're here and when the time comes to say goodbye, and good luck, we invest the money we get for them wisely in bringing in the next person or two that can help us achieve our goals again, before starting the cycle once more. Maybe, if we get it right consistently, over time we could build a bigger budget through these sales to challenge for more silverware or venture further on in European competitions than we've been for a long while. But player sales will always be a crucial part to life as a Scottish club from outside Glasgow unfortunately.

Onceinawhile
18-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Rooney is a decent player, went off the boil a little at Aberdeen but could still do the job for a premiership team Imo

This leaves Aberdeen with 5 goals last season Stevie May to play up front and they've got Burnley next week.
Unless they've got players lined up that seems like a huge gamble.

hfc rd
18-07-2018, 12:35 PM
This leaves Aberdeen with 5 goals last season Stevie May to play up front and they've got Burnley next week.
Unless they've got players lined up that seems like a huge gamble.

They seem to be in the exact same predicament as we are currently in. Lost a few key players and are struggling to bring new ones in.

bingo70
18-07-2018, 12:45 PM
They seem to be in the exact same predicament as we are currently in. Lost a few key players and are struggling to bring new ones in.

I wonder if the English transfer window closing early as well as it being a world cup year may be affecting things. Not entirely sure how but i suspected towards the end of the season it may have some impact and looking at ourselves and Aberdeen i wonder if it is.

The Leith Dutch
18-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Allan over Henderson is pretty much the only answer surely?
Henderson has a lot of potential but Allan is (at least in the Scottish Prem) the finished article who, on the form he shows for Hibs would improve any team in the division other than Celtic.

In terms of money from a future transfer - that should always be a distant second to success on the park at the moment.

matty_f
18-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Not sure what's going on with Horgan, Hibs thought everything was tied up but they're not sure if that will go ahead at all now from the message I got last night. No change with Maclaren, still expecting him to sign, Simon Murray will go - probably to the SA team but he has yet to formally agree terms with them as things stand, there is interest from two Scottish Premiership teams so would think he's got a bit of thinking to do.

Have asked about McGinn but the guy I know said he's not heard anything concrete on that other than what's been in the press.

Noticed that one of the online articles reporting Murray's move confirmed that two Permierships teams were interested but didn't name them.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Noticed that one of the online articles reporting Murray's move confirmed that two Permierships teams were interested but didn't name them.

Motherwell were one of them. Seemingly had a £50k bid knocked back by Hibs
Other one could possibly have been Dundee, where he played last season

calumhibee1
18-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Allan over Henderson is pretty much the only answer surely?
Henderson has a lot of potential but Allan is (at least in the Scottish Prem) the finished article who, on the form he shows for Hibs would improve any team in the division other than Celtic.

In terms of money from a future transfer - that should always be a distant second to success on the park at the moment.

Agree with this 100%. Only thing I would debate is that he’d improve Celtic aswell if he showed the form he shows for Hibs at them!

Jim44
18-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Agree with this 100%. Only thing I would debate is that he’d improve Celtic aswell if he showed the form he shows for Hibs at them!

Horses for courses and all that ........ it appears that Allan ‘prefers the going’ at ER as opposed to Parkhead.

Callum_62
18-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Looks like no movement imminent then?

Stuart93
18-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Been calm through it...fear starting to creep in a bit.

hfc rd
18-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Been calm through it...fear starting to creep in a bit.

I’m still calm but if we are still in this same situation next week, I will begin to feel a little nervous.

Ozyhibby
18-07-2018, 05:10 PM
I’m still calm but if we are still in this same situation next week, I will begin to feel a little nervous.

Unlikely to be anything happening this week now as everyone is in the Faroes.

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Been calm through it...fear starting to creep in a bit.I'm.a bit concerned Murray has been allowed to leave...he's not good enough for where we want to be but it leaves us with 2 fit strikers going into the game 2moro night...surely we have a striker lined up before the Greeks match next Thurs?? Otherwise it seems foolish to let Murray go...good offer or not

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I'm.a bit concerned Murray has been allowed to leave...he's not good enough for where we want to be but it leaves us with 2 fit strikers going into the game 2moro night...surely we have a striker lined up before the Greeks match next Thurs?? Otherwise it seems foolish to let Murray go...good offer or not

The team leading football recruitment side of Hibs in recent years have shown they can build good squads..I think we should relax...there will be incoming during this window - and as recent times suggest, at a level better than we had before ...Murray is not going to be the difference between winning or losing a Euro league tie

Borderhibbie76
18-07-2018, 05:17 PM
The team leading football recruitment side of Hibs in recent years have shown they can build good squads..I think we should relax...there will be incoming during this window - and as recent times suggest, at a level better than we had before ...Murray is not going to be the difference between winning or losing a Euro league tieThat's fine and I agree to a certain extent but what happens if Flo or Shaw pick up an injury 2moro night?? Will another striker be signed in time to play the Greek side?? 2 strikers to negotiate 3 euro ties is a bit concerning imo so am hopeful we have a striker lined up prior to agreeing to Murray's release

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 05:33 PM
That's fine and I agree to a certain extent but what happens if Flo or Shaw pick up an injury 2moro night?? Will another striker be signed in time to play the Greek side?? 2 strikers to negotiate 3 euro ties is a bit concerning imo so am hopeful we have a striker lined up prior to agreeing to Murray's release

if a key injury happened, it might make them push one through a bit quicker. Whilst Hibs are going to do their best to keep winning Euro games, at this stage of our journey, it seems clear that gathering the best squad for by the end of the window is the main aim...

21sMay
18-07-2018, 05:37 PM
heard we are trying our best to bring a striker from the championship down south.
supposedly a big name but problems with the wages

AlbertK86
18-07-2018, 05:38 PM
heard we are trying our best to bring a striker from the championship down south.

Hooper ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRHibs
18-07-2018, 05:38 PM

That would be sooper if we got that sorted before the next EL round.

Billychaotic182
18-07-2018, 05:42 PM

Fletcher.....?

GloryGlory
18-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Hooper ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was rumoured a couple of weeks ago that Lennon is interested in him. Obvs wages a huge block - maybe a loan?

Another name - Steven Fletcher?

Stuart93
18-07-2018, 05:44 PM

Been hearing that rumour all summer. And last summer. We spent half the season last year until January knowing our strike force weren't strong enough/a good partnership

Speedway
18-07-2018, 05:53 PM
It’s almost redundant to say ‘wages are an issue’ as just about any decent league club pays more than we do.

I still remember the CFO of Barnet telling me David Stephens was on more there (£1800 Pw) than he was at Hibs.

RN Hibee
18-07-2018, 06:00 PM
It’s almost redundant to say ‘wages are an issue’ as just about any decent league club pays more than we do.

I still remember the CFO of Barnet telling me David Stephens was on more there (£1800 Pw) than he was at Hibs.

The inflated wages in England make it difficult for us to do business down there I would imagine, anyone in the championship or league 1 good enough to actually improve us is probably earning twice what we can afford and/or would be willing to pay them.

Fletcher for example is probably earning a couple of thousand pounds yet I’m not even sure he would be a significant improvement for us over what we had last season.

Speedway
18-07-2018, 06:04 PM
The inflated wages in England make it difficult for us to do business down there I would imagine, anyone in the championship or league 1 good enough to actually improve us is probably earning twice what we can afford and/or would be willing to pay them.

Fletcher for example is probably earning a couple of thousand pounds yet I’m not even sure he would be a significant improvement for us over what we had last season.

Fletch is nearer £4K

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Fletch is nearer £4K

Has Fletch gone from huge money at Sunderland/Marseille to 4k per week at Sheff Wed??...that surprised me - thought it would a lot more than that.....

Just Jimmy
18-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Fletcher for example is probably earning a couple of thousand pounds yet I’m not even sure he would be a significant improvement for us over what we had last season.And most of it is false economy. It's bang average or rubbish players who end up getting loads because good players are on ridiculous amounts. The same goes for transfer fees too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
18-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Been hearing that rumour all summer. And last summer. We spent half the season last year until January knowing our strike force weren't strong enough/a good partnership

When did we “know” this and what could we do about once we did?

Stuart93
18-07-2018, 06:14 PM
When did we “know” this and what could we do about once we did?

When we weren't turning our possession and dominance in games into wins. Couldn't do nothing about it but it was rectified in January. My point is I don't want us to start this season in the same boat.

SRHibs
18-07-2018, 06:17 PM
When we weren't turning our possession and dominance in games into wins. Couldn't do nothing about it but it was rectified in January. My point is I don't want us to start this season in the same boat.

Yes, we knew this after the season had already begun, that's his point. With the addition of Stokes, I think the vast majority on here were pretty happy with our strike-force when the season commenced, especially considering Murray's performances in the pre-season games. Clearly things didn't pan out as we had hoped, but once Lennon saw that it wasn't working, he made big changes the moment he was able to.

I agree in part though. We don't want to have another season where we need to completely replace our front-line in January. The fact that we are clearly being patient would indicate that we are trying to get the right people in to ensure that doesn't happen.

DetroitHibs
18-07-2018, 06:19 PM
We need a quality forward brought in before the Greek tie. Absolutely a crime if we go in to that game with just Flo and Shaw.

Famous Fiver
18-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Tin hat on here.

A solution is not 60 miles away from Easter Road in the town of Dumfries..

Step forward one Stephen Dobbie.

The guy is on fire. Five goals in his last two matches.

He is 34 years old, best days allegedly behind him, but he is banging the goals in.

One year contract, clause to let him go back to QoS for free at the end of the season. £50,000, sorted.

In the meantime we can pursue long term options.

Leeann, get yourself down to Dumfries, pronto.

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Tin hat on here.

He is 34 years old, best days allegedly behind him, but he is banging the goals in.

One year contract, clause to let him go back to QoS for free at the end of the season. £50,000, sorted.

Been suggesting that for a couple of years now - a few laughed at first - his scoring record has been consistently superb - matched Cummings in our last season down there, and then outsourced his total last year...not sure we would get him though - seems settled - but good shout - 15+ goals for us imho

Stuart93
18-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Yes, we knew this after the season had already begun, that's his point. With the addition of Stokes, I think the vast majority on here were pretty happy with our strike-force when the season commenced, especially considering Murray's performances in the pre-season games. Clearly things didn't pan out as we had hoped, but once Lennon saw that it wasn't working, he made big changes the moment he was able to.

I agree in part though. We don't want to have another season where we need to completely replace our front-line in January. The fact that we are clearly being patient would indicate that we are trying to get the right people in to ensure that doesn't happen.

My point is basically what you're saying in the 2nd part of your reply. I still thought when we started last season we were still light upfront. I agree let's hope we're not in a position like that come the start of the season and the delay is us trying to bring in quality.

Thecat23
18-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Tin hat on here.

Big difference though scoring weekly in the Scottish Prem. Must be a reason no team has touched him. Sorry but for me that would be a huge backwards step and Lennon and Hibs ambitions are a lot higher than Stephen Dobbie.

Famous Fiver
18-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Oh, and by the way, the Dobster is younger than Steven McLean, the saviour of Hawrts.

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Big difference though scoring weekly in the Scottish Prem. Must be a reason no team has touched him. Sorry but for me that would be a huge backwards step and Lennon and Hibs ambitions are a lot higher than Stephen Dobbie.

there's only a few clubs (top 5) who have the finances to tempt Dobbie away from QOS...very settled there... Dobbie has got everything tosScore Goals at our level. He scored good amount in league one and the championship - would more than make his mark in our league. That said, not sure he wants a move..

superfurryhibby
18-07-2018, 06:51 PM
My point is basically what you're saying in the 2nd part of your reply. I still thought when we started last season we were still light upfront. I agree let's hope we're not in a position like that come the start of the season and the delay is us trying to bring in quality.

We know Florian Kamberi delivers. We merely hoped that Stokes was going to do the business. We are still needing another main striker, I agree with that, but with the class of Kamberi on board Ithink we’re ahead of the game compared to last season. We’ll have a striker in soon enough I suspect.

21sMay
18-07-2018, 07:03 PM
the same striker we are currently after from down south was close in January but fell through due to his club unwilling to pay the rest of his wages , which they had originally agreed to.

SRHibs
18-07-2018, 07:03 PM
the same striker we are currently after from down south was close in January but fell through due to his club unwilling to pay the rest of his wages , which they had originally agreed to.

Give us a clue eh.

P.S. If we sign Hooper, I'll sit in a bath of beans spaghetti hoops.

bingo70
18-07-2018, 07:04 PM

We were linked with Danny Graham last summer, could he be a possibility?

In fact do you know or have you already passed on the info you know?

Aldo
18-07-2018, 07:12 PM
We were linked with Danny Graham last summer, could he be a possibility?

In fact do you know or have you already passed on the info you know?

Sure the poster mentioned Championship Striker Bingo...... Graham was L1 last season!

bingo70
18-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Sure the poster mentioned Championship Striker Bingo...... Graham was L1 last season!

Good point.

Did someone not link us with Chris Martin from Derby?

Apologies in advance for all the Coldplay puns that are no doubt on their way.