PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Summer transfer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

skyehibee
25-06-2018, 06:26 PM
TheCat got any news re Mcginn/Allan?

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2018, 06:36 PM
He's currently in Celtic colours and not hibs being the obvious.

I'm sure they are I just want us to have a good go at Europe and Allan being a massive part in that hopefully.That is not evidence that Lennon isn't being backed. That is evidence that transfers aren't actually as easy as football manager makes them seem.

Stuart93
25-06-2018, 06:50 PM
That is not evidence that Lennon isn't being backed. That is evidence that transfers aren't actually as easy as football manager makes them seem.

Why do people take "rumours" as being gospel and all of a sudden suggest the club isn't backing the manager because we haven't brought in said rumoured players

SRHibs
25-06-2018, 06:50 PM
This might be the most boring transfer window in history. Can someone at least fabricate a few juicy names to heat things up a bit...

KWJ
25-06-2018, 06:55 PM
The oddest thing about Allan being with Celtic is if he is paying into HSL.

Springbank
25-06-2018, 06:55 PM
This might be the most boring transfer window in history. Can someone at least fabricate a few juicy names to heat things up a bit...

mulumbu

ancient hibee
25-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Oranges,pineapple and dates.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 06:59 PM

We've signed our most desirable target so far. Don't care how boring it is as long as we bring that kind of quality in.

KWJ
25-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Giles Coke
Shake Mohammed
Davie Irons-Bru
Bobby Lilt
Fergus Tango
Eddie Sprite
Bruce Tab-Clear

KWJ
25-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Oh aye and Wee Willie Um Bungo.

Captain Trips
25-06-2018, 07:05 PM

I hear we are in for Jamie Cureton.

The_Horde
25-06-2018, 07:06 PM
TheCat got any news re Mcginn/Allan?

Folk just give him grief when he does and it's not exactly what folk want to hear so just wait until he feels like an update is necessary?

johnbc70
25-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Jack Ross using his extensive worldwide scouting network to sign another ex Hearts player and ex Aberdeen player. Jon McLaughlin and Chris Maguire.

Has there been any Scottish manager gone down south and been a success signing ex SPL Scottish players? Strachan failed at Middlesbrough and sure a few others did as well.

keep the faith
25-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Jack Ross using his extensive worldwide scouting network to sign another ex Hearts player and ex Aberdeen player. Jon McLaughlin and Chris Maguire.

Has there been any Scottish manager gone down south and been a success signing ex SPL Scottish players? Strachan failed at Middlesbrough and sure a few others did as well.

You can just hear his interview at Sunderland, promising top players from scotland for next to nothing.

Hope he fails big time.

Smartie
25-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Sunderland have been spending millions on utter crap for years.

Spending next to nothing on utter crap would be a step in the right direction.

The keeper is a good signing. If they'd had a remotely respectable keeper last season they wouldn't have been relegated.

I don't know much about Maguire these days.

There is still a pretty good chance that Dylan will go there.

bingo70
25-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Sunderland have been spending millions on utter crap for years.

Spending next to nothing on utter crap would be a step in the right direction.

The keeper is a good signing. If they'd had a remotely respectable keeper last season they wouldn't have been relegated.

I don't know much about Maguire these days.

There is still a pretty good chance that Dylan will go there.

I don’t think the problem is singing too many Scottish players, I think signing too many players from any foreign league is the wrong thing. If they’d signed a bunch of French, Italian or Germans I’m not sure it’d work either.

The core of all teams should come from that country, a few other players to supplement those players is the way to go IMO.

Billychaotic182
25-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Is Duncan Watmore still there, quite liked him when he was with us. Shame he got injured

Heisenberg
25-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Is Duncan Watmore still there, quite liked him when he was with us. Shame he got injured

Think he’s still there but has suffered a couple of really bad injuries.

Onceinawhile
25-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Some wag on Twitter (hibs and st mirren fans or some such nonsense) has said mcginn to Celtic for 2.7m plus Scott Allan and Lewis Morgan on a 6 month deal.

Smartie
25-06-2018, 08:21 PM
I don’t think the problem is singing too many Scottish players, I think signing too many players from any foreign league is the wrong thing. If they’d signed a bunch of French, Italian or Germans I’m not sure it’d work either.

The core of all teams should come from that country, a few other players to supplement those players is the way to go IMO.

McLaughlin and Maguire both have a lot of experience playing in league one in England.

These are exactly the kind of signings they should be making imo.

The_Horde
25-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Some wag on Twitter (hibs and st mirren fans or some such nonsense) has said mcginn to Celtic for 2.7m plus Scott Allan and Lewis Morgan on a 6 month deal.

Wind up page.

HoboHarry
25-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Made good use of his spare time mind you......

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/10/sunderland-duncan-watmore-graduates-first-class-degree-newcastle

Smartie
25-06-2018, 08:34 PM

He got an awful cruciate injury and was out for ages. He came back and had played about half a dozen games when he had a recurrence of the same injury. Seemingly when you have the same injury repaired twice your chances of making a full recovery are drastically reduced.

I think he's probably a couple of months away from resuming training, but it remains to be seen whether or not he'll get back to where he was before.

It's a shame, because he's an honest hard-working player and a decent lad - one of the few players they're had that the Sunderland fans have actually liked in recent years.

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2018, 09:13 PM

That is spot on.

SMAXXA
25-06-2018, 09:21 PM

I’m going to buck the trend here and say I don’t get it. A young Scottish manager going down south after being a successful manager in his own right up here and was coveted by a number of clubs down south is getting pelters for using his ‘local knowledge’. He’s not got an international scouting network he’s a young man finding his way in the game and for me as pish as it is for us he’s fishing in the right pond for where Sunderland are at. I’m fairly certain this won’t be the only market he is in and they will do well.

His signings have been good imo on a drastically reduced budget and good luck to him.

Nevi_SOL
25-06-2018, 09:25 PM

If that’s the case St Mirren would get £900,000 going by the 33% sell on rumoured and Hibs would get £1,800,000

brog
25-06-2018, 09:37 PM
He's worth exactly what someone is prepared to pay for him. If Celtic put him on the market, don't see many queuing up to fork out more than £100k for him. Failed too many times.

If that’s the case St Mirren would get £900,000 going by the 33% sell on rumoured and Hibs would get £1,800,000

They wouldn't get that though not far off. The sell on is based on profit, not the fee. Dundee United are expecting £540k from Celtc after the sale of Armstrong, ie £7m less £1,6m x 10%.

CropleyWasGod
25-06-2018, 09:37 PM
If that’s the case St Mirren would get £900,000 going by the 33% sell on rumoured and Hibs would get £1,800,000S.A. would need valued as well. St Mirren would be entitled to their share of the total deal, not just the cash.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

johnbc70
25-06-2018, 09:42 PM
I’m going to buck the trend here and say I don’t get it. A young Scottish manager going down south after being a successful manager in his own right up here and was coveted by a number of clubs down south is getting pelters for using his ‘local knowledge’. He’s not got an international scouting network he’s a young man finding his way in the game and for me as pish as it is for us he’s fishing in the right pond for where Sunderland are at. I’m fairly certain this won’t be the only market he is in and they will do well.

His signings have been good imo on a drastically reduced budget and good luck to him.

It was of course tounge in cheek about his international scouting network, but can you name any Scottish manager that has gone down south and found success on the back of signing SPL players.

Strachan who is probably an extreme example signed Kris Boyd, Scott McDonald, Stephen McManus, Kevin Thomson, Barry Robson and a few others and it got Sunderland relegated.

I just think some of these guys must have a wider network than 2 ex Hearts players and an ex Aberdeen player that has played at Oxford, Bury and Rotherham the last few seasons.

Maybe their are skint and that's the budget he has.

HoboHarry
25-06-2018, 10:42 PM
It was of course tounge in cheek about his international scouting network, but can you name any Scottish manager that has gone down south and found success on the back of signing SPL players.

Strachan who is probably an extreme example signed Kris Boyd, Scott McDonald, Stephen McManus, Kevin Thomson, Barry Robson and a few others and it got Sunderland relegated.

I just think some of these guys must have a wider network than 2 ex Hearts players and an ex Aberdeen player that has played at Oxford, Bury and Rotherham the last few seasons.

Maybe their are skint and that's the budget he has.
Strachan got Sunderland relegated? You sure about that? :greengrin

tamig
25-06-2018, 11:00 PM
That is spot on.

Spot on in what way?

matty_f
25-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Spot on in what way?

As in completely made up.

Or maybe spot on that a Twitter account posted it, because they definite did.

Gibby the Hibby
25-06-2018, 11:23 PM
As in completely made up.

Or maybe spot on that a Twitter account posted it, because they definite did.

correct. its baws.

scotiaf
26-06-2018, 02:07 AM
I think it’s fairly certain mcginn will go to Celtic, we will get Allan. However I think we may lose Mcginn pre Europe and not gain Allan till after Europe. This is just going on previous dealings, nothing I have been told. We could definetly do with a couple of players pre Wurope.

calumhibee1
26-06-2018, 05:30 AM
I think it’s fairly certain mcginn will go to Celtic, we will get Allan. However I think we may lose Mcginn pre Europe and not gain Allan till after Europe. This is just going on previous dealings, nothing I have been told. We could definetly do with a couple of players pre Wurope.

We would be as well telling Celtic to **** off if they wanted McGinn before Europe without releasing Allan until after.

worcesterhibby
26-06-2018, 06:02 AM
I think Allan will come first, maybe this week and we will pay a fee. If SJM does go it will be later in the window. I have a good feeling about Maclaren as well. No insider knowledge, just my opinion.

1van Sprou7e
26-06-2018, 06:03 AM
S.A. would need valued as well. St Mirren would be entitled to their share of the total deal, not just the cash.

People keep saying this but is it true?

Who decides Allan's value in this scenario?

18Craig75
26-06-2018, 06:09 AM
People keep saying this but is it true?

Who decides Allan's value in this scenario?

Hibs.net myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnbc70
26-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Strachan got Sunderland relegated? You sure about that? :greengrin

Sunderland, Middlesbrough..same thing really....both from down that way.

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 06:17 AM
Hibs.net myth.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt isn't.

If there is no value attached to any player in a swap deal, St Mirren could be cheated. They would be entitled to appeal to the SFA.

18Craig75
26-06-2018, 06:31 AM
It isn't.

If there is no value attached to any player in a swap deal, St Mirren could be cheated. They would be entitled to appeal to the SFA.

Petrie has his obvious flaws, but by all accounts he drives a hard bargain. And he has openly said it isn’t a third of any transfer. I’d be very surprised if there weren’t any additional clauses attached to the deal.

Never seen it mentioned anywhere that it includes players as well. Also on this basis could they not claim any percentage of a future sell on fee that we insert to the next sale...

Heisenberg
26-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Or Celtc sign McGinn and Scott Allan is released by them afterwards, leaving us free to sign him and St Mirren due nothing additional.

BegbieHSC
26-06-2018, 06:38 AM
So...will there be a 12pm, 2pm or 5pm today ? 😉😉

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Petrie has his obvious flaws, but by all accounts he drives a hard bargain. And he has openly said it isn’t a third of any transfer. I’d be very surprised if there weren’t any additional clauses attached to the deal.

Never seen it mentioned anywhere that it includes players as well. Also on this basis could they not claim any percentage of a future sell on fee that we insert to the next sale...

For one thing, I'd doubt that RP is involved in transfer dealings these days.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned anywhere, doesn't mean it isn't the case. For the sake of fairness, and possibly insurance purposes too, players in a swap deal have to be valued.

That also gives both clubs the opportunity to, as you say, have a sell-on clause.

danhibees1875
26-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Any %, if it's 33% or not, would be of the total value of the deal - not just the cash element.
Their entitlement of any future sell on money would depend entirely on the contract terms - some do, some don't.

Or Celtc sign McGinn and Scott Allan is released by them afterwards, leaving us free to sign him and St Mirren due nothing additional.

That would be pretty underhand of us to construct such a deal, and if caught would land us and Celtic in a fair bit of bother - not to mention the reoutational damage to us as a club to deal with.

neil7908
26-06-2018, 06:39 AM
It isn't.

Genuinely interested if there is a precedent in these kind of cases. A quick Google hasn't given me much so I'm wondering if there is something in the contract between Hibs and St Mirren? I'm still not sure clear how a player would be valued. And surely all Hibs and Celtic would do is treat the Scott Allan transfer as a separate transaction?

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 06:41 AM
Genuinely interested if there is a precedent in these kind of cases. A quick Google hasn't given me much so I'm wondering if there is something in the contract between Hibs and St Mirren? I'm still not sure clear how a player would be valued. And surely all Hibs and Celtic would do is treat the Scott Allan transfer as a separate transaction?The value would be agreed by the swapping clubs. If St Mirren didn't agree, they could appeal to the SFA.

18Craig75
26-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Just because it hasn't been mentioned anywhere, doesn't mean it isn't the case. For the sake of fairness, and possibly insurance purposes too, players in a swap deal have to be valued.

That also gives both clubs the opportunity to, as you say, have a sell-on clause.

You hear about deals such as this that involve a percentage of any profit on the next sale. Now as we only paid a development fee for John that’s probably not the case in this deal. But it’s an example of how these deals are structured.

Anyway I doubt anyone on .net has any insight into the inner workings of contract negotiations at Hibs or St Mirren so I guess time will tell. As another poster mentioned, can’t think of a precedent.

If it is true I’d just like to place on record, Scott Allan is murder and worth buttons!!!

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 06:43 AM
The value would be agreed by the swapping clubs. If St Mirren didn't agree, they could appeal to the SFA.

Who could do what about it? It’s up to Celtic what they value Allan at. He’s under contract to them. They could quite easily let him go on a free if they want.

Ringothedog
26-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Is it possible that we won’t sell McGinn until our new financial accounting period which starts on 1/718 meaning most of our transfers won’t happen until after that date?

Tobias Funke
26-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Rather than rubbishing the scenario as a “myth” or Googling for previous examples I suggest those who think they know better actually listen to CWG. I also work in finance and he is spot on. If there is a sell on clause Hibs WILL NOT be allowed to avoid paying St Mirren what they are due just because no money changed hands as part of the deal, due to a player swap.

Billy Whizz
26-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Rather than rubbishing the scenario as a “myth” or Googling for previous examples I suggest those who think they know better actually listen to CWG. I also work in finance and he is spot on. If there is a sell on clause Hibs WILL NOT be allowed to avoid paying St Mirren what they are due just because no money changed hands as part of the deal, due to a player swap.

I’m not getting this “no money changing hands” theory?
McGinn is say worth around £3m, and Allan can’t be worth more than £300k or so. Are people suggesting that Celtic only pay us £2.3m in this scenario, hence trying to reduce St Mirren’s sell on fee?
I agree with you, can’t happen when a 3rd Party have an interest

The Leith Dutch
26-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Who could do what about it? It’s up to Celtic what they value Allan at. He’s under contract to them. They could quite easily let him go on a free if they want.

Hence the appeal to the SFA bit.

Players are valued and there are tribunals in place should an agreement not be reached.

I'd also be disappointed if Hibs tried to weasel out of it.
A very hunish thing to do imo.

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Is it possible that we won’t sell McGinn until our new financial accounting period which starts on 1/718 meaning most of our transfers won’t happen until after that date?Don't think that's an issue. The only consideration might have been to delay tax. But since we don't pay that, it's not relevant.

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Hence the appeal to the SFA bit.

Players are valued and there are tribunals in place should an agreement not be reached.

I'd also be disappointed if Hibs tried to weasel out of it.
A very hunish thing to do imo.

Only ever heard of tribunals when it is to do with a development fee.

I’m sure, if Allan were to come to us, it could quite easily be put through as a separate transaction.

Ringothedog
26-06-2018, 07:26 AM
Don't think that's an issue. The only consideration might have been to delay tax. But since we don't pay that, it's not relevant.

Cheers for that 👍

Blaster
26-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Don't think that's an issue. The only consideration might have been to delay tax. But since we don't pay that, it's not relevant.

My ignorance CWG so apologies, but if the money for Mcginn effectively meant we were in profit for the financial year would we not have to pay tax on that?

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 07:40 AM
My ignorance CWG so apologies, but if the money for Mcginn effectively meant we were in profit for the financial year would we not have to pay tax on that?We have losses in previous years, which can be set off against any profit we make this year.

Barman Stanton
26-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Surely the Scott Allan deal would be a separate transfer. A gentleman’s agreement where if we sell McGinn then they will then let Allan go for 50k or so.

Heisenberg
26-06-2018, 07:41 AM

I’m sure, if Allan were to come to us, it could quite easily be put through as a separate transaction.

Exactly. I don’t see how it’s underhand or how it could be taken further. Celtc sign McGinn and we sign Allan from them in two different transfer deals. If it saves the club some cash I’m all for it.

calumhibee1
26-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Would anyone take the Iceland right back? He’s a part time footballer but has played every minute of the WC so far..

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Surely the Scott Allan deal would be a separate transfer. A gentleman’s agreement where if we sell McGinn then they will then let Allan go for 50k or so.

50k? There's absolutely no chance they'd let him go for such a small fee regardless of us selling mcginn to them

neil7908
26-06-2018, 07:43 AM

With all respect, unless anyone on here is privy to the agreement between Hibs and St Mirren then I don't think they can say with absolute certainty what will or won't happen. Just to be clear I'm not suggesting you or others who are saying this are wrong but equally, % sell on fees are used a lot in the football so I find it odd that that no one can point me to a clear example where the scenario you are outlining has happened.

I appreciate the SFA have a panel to value younger players when they move between clubs under freedom of contact so there is a mechanism set up but again, I've never heard of it being used for this.

Again, I'm not suggesting your wrong but equally don't think you saying "I know cause I'm in finance" necessarily answers the question.

I suppose all will come out in the wash and I appreciate the insight from yourself and others.

neil7908
26-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Exactly. I don’t see how it’s underhand or how it could be taken further. Celtc sign McGinn and we sign Allan from them in two different transfer deals. If it saves the club some cash I’m all for it.

This is my thinking as well. This would be perfectly legal, reasonable and would save a lot of hassle about panels deciding fees etc.

Barman Stanton
26-06-2018, 07:46 AM
50k? There's absolutely no chance they'd let him go for such a small fee regardless of us selling mcginn to them

Did you miss the ‘or so’ part? Was just using that value as an example. Although I don’t imagine the fee would be much more than 100k.

Blaster
26-06-2018, 07:48 AM
We have losses in previous years, which can be set off against any profit we make this year.

Cheers 👍

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 07:48 AM
This is my thinking as well. This would be perfectly legal, reasonable and would save a lot of hassle about panels deciding fees etc.St Mirren would be entitled to have their say in that scenario, IMO. If they saw the 2 transactions as linked, they could appeal on the basis of "substance vs. form".

scoopyboy
26-06-2018, 07:53 AM

They are better taking £50,000 now than paying Scott Allan his wage for the next season, say £6,000 a week or approx. £300,000.

They will get no return from Allan in a playing sense.

Danderhall Hibs
26-06-2018, 07:54 AM
It’ll be interesting to see what the sell on clause was/is - St Mirren have been banging on about it being 33% (Chick Young has made this so well known on BBC Scotland that they all repeat it now.

Whereas RP said they were way off the mark with that percentage.

Tyler Durden
26-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Thanks for trying to patronise everyone but working in finance is irrelevant. People are speculating about a private commercial contract - with respect, CWG has no more knowledge here than anyone else.

Hibs could have agreed a deal where sell on was based on transfer fees only. We don’t know.

Either way it’s not really worthy of the panic. Allan can’t be valued at more than £500k max. Joining the speculative guesses here....Worst case scenario we would need to give up another £150k roughly of our fee to St. Mirren. It’d still be a good deal for us if we end up with Scott Allan permanently

The Leith Dutch
26-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Point about the tribunals was that a mechanism exists to value a player that isn't purely about the buyer and seller.

As for the separate transaction it's not about could we - I'm sure we can.....it's about should we. As for making it a separate deal - well common sense dictates it wouldn't be unless you had a specific reason. And we'd all know that in this case that's shafting St Mirren.

If people want us to do that then fine but at least admit that's what you mean.

J-C
26-06-2018, 08:02 AM
I've trawled Google and cannot find any report about a sell on percentage for McGinn, there's an undisclosed fee headline and one that mentioned a Development fee off £100K but nowhere can I find anyone quoting a sell on percentage. I wonder if the St Mirren chairman has made this fee up just to keep his supporters happy, seemingly Petrie laughed off talk of a percentage of any sale price at 33% at one of the AGM's.

GreenPJ
26-06-2018, 08:03 AM

30% isn't a third.

worcesterhibby
26-06-2018, 08:04 AM
surely the way to go about things is for Hibs and Celtic to agree a fee for Scott Allan (say £100k) and then for Hibs and Celtic to agree a fee for McGinn (let's say £3.5mill). Hibs then make an offer of £100k for Scott Allan which is accepted and the transfer takes place. Celtic then make an offer of £3.5 million for McGinn which we accept. Keep the two transfers separate and their is no chance for St Mirren to claim extra cash. However the two deals could still be part of an understanding without being linked by a contract.

J-C
26-06-2018, 08:06 AM
surely the way to go about things is for Hibs and Celtic to agree a fee for Scott Allan (say £100k) and then for Hibs and Celtic to agree a fee for McGinn (let's say £3.5mill). Hibs then make an offer of £100k for Scott Allan which is accepted and the transfer takes place. Celtic then make an offer of £3.5 million for McGinn which we accept. Keep the two transfers separate and their is no chance for St Mirren to claim extra cash. However the two deals could still be part of an understanding without being linked by a contract.

That is the most likely scenario here, I think that's what happened when McGeouch joined us.

Greenworld
26-06-2018, 08:06 AM
It isn't.

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkI get what your saying but if the player in effect becomes a free agent after agreeing his contract release then no fee is applicable surley.
I know how it looks to St mirren but it's not that uncommon

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
26-06-2018, 08:07 AM
I've trawled Google and cannot find any report about a sell on percentage for McGinn, there's an undisclosed fee headline and one that mentioned a Development fee off £100K but nowhere can I find anyone quoting a sell on percentage. I wonder if the St Mirren chairman has made this fee up just to keep his supporters happy, seemingly Petrie laughed off talk of a percentage of any sale price at 33% at one of the AGM's.

No figure quoted, but his brother seems to think there’s a healthy sell on fee

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/16288193.St_Mirren_rely_heavily_on_the_McGinn_brot hers_-_even_the_one_who_left_the_club/

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 08:13 AM
It’ll be interesting to see what the sell on clause was/is - St Mirren have been banging on about it being 33% (Chick Young has made this so well known on BBC Scotland that they all repeat it now.

Whereas RP said they were way off the mark with that percentage.Yup..as I've often said, 40% is nowhere near 33.

We probably won't find out what the clause is, though.

IWasThere2016
26-06-2018, 08:13 AM
No figure quoted, but his brother seems to think there’s a healthy sell on fee

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/16288193.St_Mirren_rely_heavily_on_the_McGinn_brot hers_-_even_the_one_who_left_the_club/

I was told at the time it was 40% for St Mirren AND the player.

I've always assumed it was 33% club and 7% SJM.

Billy Whizz
26-06-2018, 08:16 AM
I was told at the time it was 40% for St Mirren AND the player.

I've always assumed it was 33% club and 7% SJM.

What’s the difference😄

Greenworld
26-06-2018, 08:16 AM
I’m not getting this “no money changing hands” theory?
McGinn is say worth around £3m, and Allan can’t be worth more than £300k or so. Are people suggesting that Celtic only pay us £2.3m in this scenario, hence trying to reduce St Mirren’s sell on fee?
I agree with you, can’t happen when a 3rd Party have an interestThe player though could go for 1 million or 5 million it's up to the buying club and what hibs and the buying club agree ( st mirren have no impute in this )

If celtic choose to release Scott Allan from his contract and hibs sign him then that forms no part of the deal with mcginn so no value needed

mjhibby
26-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Yup..as I've often said, 40% is nowhere near 33.

We probably won't find out what the clause is, though.

Absolutely no chance its 40%.Mouser has said its less than 33%.I know the St mirren chairman said it was 33% but I feel he was covering himself after realising he got very little money for SJM. We will only find out if sjm goes and we see what we got in the next set of accounts.

CropleyWasGod
26-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Absolutely no chance its 40%.Mouser has said its less than 33%.I know the St mirren chairman said it was 33% but I feel he was covering himself after realising he got very little money for SJM. We will only find out if sjm goes and we see what we got in the next set of accounts.

What RP actually said was "It's nowhere near 30%". That can be interpreted in a few ways.

I'm sure his intent was to suggest it was lower, but we can't know that.

matty_f
26-06-2018, 09:07 AM
It isn't.

Only if Allan is seen as part payment for McGinn. Hibs would be well within their rights to deal with the two transactions separately.

The chances are we'll try to sign Allan regardless of where SJM ends up - if he even goes.

scoopyboy
26-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Only if Allan is seen as part payment for McGinn. Hibs would be well within their rights to deal with the two transactions separately.

The chances are we'll try to sign Allan regardless of where SJM ends up - if he even goes.

I had hoped SJM would be here for our European games but I think he will now be gone soon.

I knew the day had to come but feel gutted as he has been one of my favourite players in 50 years of watching Hibs.

Like others I would like him to go to England but can't help thinking it's going to be Celtic, it wouldn't affect how I feel about him but it would be annoying to see him perform well against us.

brog
26-06-2018, 09:18 AM

You didn't trawl too far I'm afraid, I found several recent reports saying 33% but Wikipedia states it's 30%, which I'm pretty sure is what the ST M chairman said to the supporters' groups some time back. Whatever it is, we know it will be sizeable. I suspect the SA deal will be separate but I don't see Hibs not doing the right thing re St Mirren, especially as the current St M manager may have a wee bit knowledge of the original deal!

scoopyboy
26-06-2018, 09:20 AM
You didn't trawl too far I'm afraid, I found several recent reports saying 33% but Wikipedia states it's 30%, which I'm pretty sure is what the ST M chairman said to the supporters' groups some time back. Whatever it is, we know it will be sizeable. I suspect the SA deal will be separate but I don't see Hibs not doing the right thing re St Mirren, especially as the current St M manager may have a wee bit knowledge of the original deal!

100% Hibs will do the right thing, our street cred is good with clubs far and wide and we won't blow this by cheating a fellow club out of money.

brog
26-06-2018, 09:21 AM

To expand on this, the DR last month said 33%, The Scotsman, also last month, said 30%.

Michael
26-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if SA is a separate deal. When we sold SA there was a lot of talk about McGeough being part of that deal, but we ended up getting him separately.

Ozyhibby
26-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Before he jumped ship, Jack Ross also mentioned a few times that he hoped Hibs sell John Mcginn so that he would get some money to spend in the transfer market.

IWasThere2016
26-06-2018, 09:30 AM
I had hoped SJM would be here for our European games but I think he will now be gone soon.

I knew the day had to come but feel gutted as he has been one of my favourite players in 50 years of watching Hibs.

Like others I would like him to go to England but can't help thinking it's going to be Celtic, it wouldn't affect how I feel about him but it would be annoying to see him perform well against us.

This.

IWasThere2016
26-06-2018, 09:34 AM
What’s the difference😄

Very little. But was aware of this before it became very public so believe my man. That said, it could be tapered and SJM is valued higher than envisaged .. explaining perhaps RP view that it won't be 33%

MrSmith
26-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Given that SJM completed the original contract and proceeded to sign new one, will the sell-on fee still be valid?

Stevie Reid
26-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Given that SJM completed the original contract and proceeded to sign new one, will the sell-on fee still be valid?

McGinn is on the same contract he signed three years ago.

Signing a new one wouldn't negate any sell on deals in any case.

MrSmith
26-06-2018, 09:53 AM
McGinn is on the same contract he signed three years ago.

sure he signed a new contract at the same time JC did?

heidtheba
26-06-2018, 09:54 AM
100% Hibs will do the right thing, our street cred is good with clubs far and wide and we won't blow this by cheating a fellow club out of money.

This. Not only would it be morally correct,it would save us a fortune in the future transfer market if clubs saw Hibs as a good club to do business with re transfer sell-ons.

Ronniekirk
26-06-2018, 09:59 AM
To expand on this, the DR last month said 33%, The Scotsman, also last month, said 30%.

Everyone I know in Paisley thinks it's 33% ,so the St Mirren Chairman has brainwashed them all .They can't wait till he is sold ,and it's one of the factors that tempted Stubbs ,knowing he would have decent money to bring in players .

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Hibs.net myth.

It's correct.

St Mirren are due a percentage of what we receive should we sell SJM.

We can't reduce that percentage by taking players in lieu of cash.

Stevie Reid
26-06-2018, 10:10 AM
sure he signed a new contract at the same time JC did?

Signed a four year contract in 2015, no extension.

Nevi_SOL
26-06-2018, 10:14 AM

This would make sense

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 10:18 AM
With all respect, unless anyone on here is privy to the agreement between Hibs and St Mirren then I don't think they can say with absolute certainty what will or won't happen.

I'm not privy to the actual deal, but I can say with absolute certainty that if Hibs and Celtic want to do business with other football clubs in the future, they'll make sure everything is above board.

The idea that clubs can avoid paying their sell on fees by accepting players, or anything else, instead of cash is ludicrous.

Can you imagine Hibs trying to ensure we get a sell on for SJM from Celtic after that?

If, and it's by no means certain, that McGinn goes to Celtic, the deal will have an overall value whether it includes pkayears, art work or friggin half and half scarves.The sell on percentage will apply to that.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 10:23 AM
St Mirren would be entitled to have their say in that scenario, IMO. If they saw the 2 transactions as linked, they could appeal on the basis of "substance vs. form".

Plus, we've supposedly received offers from other clubs.

If Sunderland offered £3m and we accepted £2.5m plus Allen, St Mirren would justifiably ask for their share of the "missing" £500k.

MWHIBBIES
26-06-2018, 10:32 AM

If Sunderland offered £3m and we accepted £2.5m plus Allen, St Mirren would justifiably ask for their share of the "missing" £500k.That doesn't mean Allan is worth 500k though. Seriously don't think it works like that.

It also depends on how the deal is structured. If Sunderland offer 3 million in 6 installments and Celtic offer 2.5 in 3 installments its easy to see an argument for preferring one over the other without Allan being worth the difference.

Hibs give St Mirren whatever the % is of whatever we get. Other bids are irrelevant.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 10:35 AM
That doesn't mean Allan is worth 500k though. Seriously don't think it works like that.

It also depends on how the deal is structured. If Sunderland offer 3 million in 6 installments and Celtic offer 2.5 in 3 installments its easy to see an argument for preferring one over the other without Allan being worth the difference.

Hibs give St Mirren whatever the % is of whatever we get. Other bids are irrelevant.

True, but my point was that clubs have different arguments to make should they feel that they are being cheated.

Hibs won't cheat anyone.

Zazu62
26-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Really surprised at our lack of activity.

CockneyRebel
26-06-2018, 10:38 AM

If Sunderland offered £3m and we accepted £2.5m plus Allen, St Mirren would justifiably ask for their share of the "missing" £500k.

Part of any player sale is the player agreeing to join a particular club. Many players have gone to clubs for less money than was offered by other clubs due to the fact that he chose where he went.

Anyway, we don't know for sure if Cellic are even interested so all these pages of postings are just typing practice.

spike220
26-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Really surprised at our lack of activity.

I am surprised that you are surprised.

calumhibee1
26-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Agree with that to an extent, but if SJM didn’t fancy Sunderland but did fancy Celtic and we accepted that offer, they couldn’t then turn round and tell us SA has to be worth £500k. Celtic’s offer could still be valued by us as being around £2.8m.

Lago
26-06-2018, 10:57 AM
A lot of presumptions being made based on ? Mean while little real transfer information.
Guess we just sit and wait for firm info from the club.

matty_f
26-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Aside from potential movements with McGinn and Scott Allan, expect a winger soon - Barker is still on the radar and despite reports, The Rangers aren't going to sign Barker so it's between us and an English club (think Hull were mentioned previously?). We're also quite far down the line with a goalkeeper.

McLaren still a possibility, think it is dependent on the McGinn fee and whether the German club are prepared to lower their asking price a bit. Player and Hibs both happy for the move to happen.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 11:35 AM
A lot of presumptions being made based on ? Mean while little real transfer information.
Guess we just sit and wait for firm info from the club.

I think it's just a hypothetical discussion rather than assumptions being made.

Having said that, I am assuming that the St Mirren chairman and legal team have at least a little nous when it comes to dealing in the transfer market.

The idea that they signed a deal allowing Hibs the possibility of reducing, or even avoiding entirely, the sell on fee due, is literally, incredible.

I know this will excite Haymaker, but if you follow that logic, if Hibs agreed a straight swap between SJM and Leigh, St Mirren would get hee-haw.

matty_f
26-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Having said that, I am assuming that the St Mirren chairman and legal team have at least a little nous when it comes to dealing in the transfer market.

The idea that they signed a deal allowing Hibs the possibility of reducing, or even avoiding entirely, the sell on fee due, is literally, incredible.

I know this will excite Haymaker, but if you follow that logic, if Hibs agreed a straight swap between SJM and Leigh, St Mirren would get hee-haw.

In that case St Mirren would get a payment, I'd imagine, for the value of the transfer - that would be a deal worth x amount.

I think what will happen will be that SJM will sign for Celtc for £x and St Mirren will get a cut of that transaction, as they're entitled to.

Separately, Hibs will agree terms with Celtc for Allan and pay the appropriate amount (if applicable), probably from the proceeds of the SJM transfer, but the Allan transfer will be an independent transaction and not reliant on Celtc buying SJM. St Mirren will not be entitled to any of Allan's value.

keep the faith
26-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Aside from potential movements with McGinn and Scott Allan, expect a winger soon - Barker is still on the radar and despite reports, The Rangers aren't going to sign Barker so it's between us and an English club (think Hull were mentioned previously?). We're also quite far down the line with a goalkeeper.

McLaren still a possibility, think it is dependent on the McGinn fee and whether the German club are prepared to lower their asking price a bit. Player and Hibs both happy for the move to happen.

Great update. Thanks. Would be happy with this lot.

Decent source with this Matty?

Greenworld
26-06-2018, 11:42 AM

I know this will excite Haymaker, but if you follow that logic, if Hibs agreed a straight swap between SJM and Leigh, St Mirren would get hee-haw.Excellent let's get that deal done

matty_f
26-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Great update. Thanks. Would be happy with this lot.

Decent source with this Matty?

The source would know most of it so I trust them enough to share the info (they said they were happy for me to share, by the way as they were quite confident that they'd pan out and a post on here was unlikely to jeapordise anything).

As TheCat has said before though (and he's right) there's no guarantees, so I won't be putting my mortgage on it.

The keeper isn't from the Scottish game, I'm told but I haven't got a name for him (yet).

SouthMoroccoStu
26-06-2018, 11:50 AM
I have often wondered, what happens if Hibs either let SJM contract run down and he walks for free or we do a straight swap for a player or 2?

What would St Mirren be due?

FilipinoHibs
26-06-2018, 11:50 AM
That doesn't mean Allan is worth 500k though. Seriously don't think it works like that.

Really depends on the clauses and nuisances in the agreement. I dont have access to that so cant comment on what the Saints will get.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 11:51 AM
In that case St Mirren would get a payment, I'd imagine, for the value of the transfer - that would be a deal worth x amount.

Exactly.

matty_f
26-06-2018, 11:52 AM
I have often wondered, what happens if Hibs either let SJM contract run down and he walks for free or we do a straight swap for a player or 2?

Presumably the players in the swap would be valued and St Mirren's payment would be based on that.

If the contract ran down, then I think that would be that.

Captain Trips
26-06-2018, 11:54 AM
How much do Celtic or Rodgers want SJM? I get the feeling they would be buying because they think they should rather than he is needed in team.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 11:57 AM

In a straight swap deal, Hibs would pay St Mirren the agreed percentage of the player's value. In effect, Hibs would be losing SJM plus cash.

I've no idea what would happen if he runs his contract down.

It could be that no monies are due, but it maybe that there's a clause protecting St Mirren in that instance. :dunno:

theonlywayisup
26-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Well said Stevie :aok:

Maguire
26-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Have been told Sheffield Wed have made a cash offer (Not sure on amount) plus a striker on loan in return (previously played for NL). Also been told that BR is willing to give Scott Allan preseason to prove himself.

We have taken a 28yo Italian winger on trial who has been released from a Serie B side and also a Belgian GK (No names unfortunately)

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 12:03 PM
I think that's rubbish - the signing add-on clause would be in a contract between St Mirren and Hibs. What's agreed subsequently with McGinn has no bearing on the St Mirren and Hibs contract.

That's what he said :hilarious

theonlywayisup
26-06-2018, 12:05 PM
That's what he said :hilarious

What a numpty? A quick delete before anyone notices!!!!

Souter96Mac
26-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Have been told Sheffield Wed have made a cash offer (Not sure on amount) plus a striker on loan in return (previously played for NL). Also been told that BR is willing to give Scott Allan preseason to prove himself.

We have taken a 28yo Italian winger on trial who has been released from a Serie B side and also a Belgian GK (No names unfortunately)

Gary Hooper??

Danderhall Hibs
26-06-2018, 12:06 PM

This confirms Matty Fs post from earlier.

Must be something in it.

brog
26-06-2018, 12:10 PM
!

Not real rumours, that will never catch on!! Forward can only be Hooper!
Thanks!

Thecat23
26-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Gary Hooper??

That’s who Lennon wants so I’d assume yes.

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Was that for mcginn?

Maguire
26-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Was that for mcginn?

Yes sorry meant to say for McGinn

Danderhall Hibs
26-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Gary Hooper??

Steven Fletcher?

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Yes sorry meant to say for McGinn

Would definitely take that, only downside is potential huff from Celtic and they don't sell scott Allan to us

Souter96Mac
Steven Fletcher?

Previously managed by NL is what I was going for.

Hibbyradge
Steven Fletcher?

He didn't play for Lennon, did he?

Hamish
26-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Steven Fletcher?

Not played for NL I don't think.

Quick look at Wednesday squad would indicate Hooper or maybe Ross Wallace?

Danderhall Hibs
26-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Previously managed by NL is what I was going for.

I know but he tried to sign him when he was at celtic.

Springbank
26-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Personally think Hooper would be a great addition on loan, plus if Sheff Wed are offering similar to Celtic upfront, the deal is a good one for this reason:

SJM has a good season at Celtic his value might rise to say £5m in the international (ie English) market - a 10% sell on clause nets us a couple of hundred grand*

SJM has one good season at Sheff Wed, cup run, play offs etc, his value does a Tom Cairney - a 10% sell on clause of a further 7 figure sum in 2019*

(*assuming in both cases that the sell on clause is for 10% of any 'added value' above £3m)

GloryGlory

Makalamby? 😯

Ronniekirk
Where are folk seeing Rodgers has said he is giving Scott Allan Pre Season to prove himself If that's the case he is probably allowing him to showcase his talent in hope they get other Clubs interested in buying him possibly
So if true we aren't going to be any closer to getting him
Have been fine waiting g off on transfer deals happening but the Thought of is not having Dylan Mcginn or Allan when Season starts is a daunting prospect depending on who we bring in to replace them

matty_f
26-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Where are folk seeing Rodgers has said he is giving Scott Allan Pre Season to prove himself If that's the case he is probably allowing him to showcase his talent in hope they get other Clubs interested in buying him possibly
So if true we aren't going to be any closer to getting him
Have been fine waiting g off on transfer deals happening but the Thought of is not having Dylan Mcginn or Allan when Season starts is a daunting prospect depending on who we bring in to replace them

Bear in mind Mallan is still in the equation, for all TheCat got a bit of a ribbing last week, we have spoken to Mallan and his club and it could still happen.

From what I have been told though, the deal has never been as far down the line as previously suggested though.

Diclonius
26-06-2018, 12:35 PM
If Allan is not signing until the end of the window at the earliest, I hope we have someone else lined up to replace McGinn immediately. We can't afford to start the season with the midfield we have sans McGinn and McGeouch.

On the other hand, maybe we should be saying to Rodgers tough **** if he wants to give Allan a chance, if he wants McGinn then Allan is part of the deal or he goes down south.

Borderhibbie76
26-06-2018, 12:42 PM
So who plays midfield in the euro ties then if we have no McGinn, Dylan or Allan signed/still here?? That would leave us with Bartley, Slivka and Swanson is that right?? Should be good enough to get thru but it's a gamble so hopefully get 1 or 2 signed before then... Not sure if Boyle is fit after his injury at back end of last season...

Up front does Murray play with Kamberi or Oli Shaw?

I know there is still time but given it's 2 weeks on Thursday we would ideally want them in during the next week or so to get any new arrivals up to speed and training with teammates I'd imagine...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jamesie
26-06-2018, 12:45 PM
If Allan is not signing until the end of the window at the earliest, I hope we have someone else lined up to replace McGinn immediately. We can't afford to start the season with the midfield we have sans McGinn and McGeouch.

I agree with you that more bodies would be helpful but a midfield of Boyle, Slivka, Bartley and Swanson should be enough to see of Ruanvik I would hope, although that leaves us a bit short on the bench - Fraser Murray and Whittaker probably the only potential two midfield replacements.

Hibernian Verse
26-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Re: Belgian GK could it be Logan Bailly? Did he play for Lennon?

Billy Whizz
26-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Probably, and has a baby with Gordon Smiths daughter
Hardly played in last 3 years though

calumhibee1
26-06-2018, 12:50 PM

On the other hand, maybe we should be saying to Rodgers tough **** if he wants to give Allan a chance, if he wants McGinn then Allan is part of the deal or he goes down south.

We should be saying exactly that. If they want McGinn then we get Allan is where the negotiations should begin before money is even discussed.

cabbageandribs1875
26-06-2018, 12:54 PM

NL was at Bolton when Logan Bailey transferred to sellick(2015-2017), only played 4 games with him being 3rd choice

Stevie Reid
26-06-2018, 12:57 PM
In a straight swap deal, Hibs would pay St Mirren the agreed percentage of the player's value. In effect, Hibs would be losing SJM plus cash.

I've no idea what would happen if he runs his contract down.

It could be that no monies are due, but it maybe that there's a clause protecting St Mirren in that instance. :dunno:

Can surely only be if Hibs make money from him. We paid Saints a development fee, obviously they wanted more upfront, but that was offset by the sell on clause - and they obviously weren't very confident of getting more in a tribunal (I think McGinn's bizarre training ground injury maybe played a part in the lower fee too?).

I can't see how it could possibly work that we are due Saints money if he goes for free - we would never agree to such a thing, and it has no basis - we paid towards his development until 2015, and have developed him since then. He'll be over 24 and as far as the Bosman ruling goes, will have no value as he is a free agent - so a tribunal couldn't come into play, or ascertain a value for him. We get no money for him, therefore Saints get nothing further.

I just can't see how if could be any other way?

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Can surely only be if Hibs make money from him. We paid Saints a development fee, obviously they wanted more upfront, but that was offset by the sell on clause - and they obviously weren't very confident of getting more in a tribunal (I think McGinn's bizarre training ground injury maybe played a part in the lower fee too?).

I can't see how it could possibly work that we are due Saints money if he goes for free - we would never agree to such a thing, and it has no basis - we paid towards his development until 2015, and have developed him since then. He'll be over 24 and as far as the Bosman ruling goes, will have no value as he is a free agent - so a tribunal couldn't come into play, or ascertain a value for him. We get no money for him, therefore Saints get nothing further.

I just can't see how if could be any other way?

Yeah, you're most likely correct. As I said, I've no idea if such a thing exists.

I was thinking maybe Hibs agreed to buy him for a small fee up front with either a second payment later or a % of his transfer fee if/when we sell.

When St Mirren sold him to us, there was the possibility of him signing further contracts with Hibs in which case they'd get nothing too.

There's been some weird and wonderful transfer "arrangements" over the years so it really wouldn't surprise me if this sort of thing happens.

Iggy Pope
26-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Gary Hooper??

Steven Fletcher?

:tin hat: Graham Rix the child molester?

Danderhall Hibs
26-06-2018, 01:47 PM
:tin hat: Graham Rix the child molester?

I think that could catch on. Just need to sign them both now...

CockneyRebel
26-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah, you're most likely correct. As I said, I've no idea if such a thing exists.

I was thinking maybe Hibs agreed to buy him for a small fee up front with either a second payment later or a % of his transfer fee if/when we sell.

When St Mirren sold him to us, there was the possibility of him signing further contracts with Hibs in which case they'd get nothing too.

There's been some weird and wonderful transfer "arrangements" over the years so it really wouldn't surprise me if this sort of thing happens.

If SJM signed further contracts with Hibs the sell on clause would just roll over until he left us and St Mirren would still get whatever % had been agreed from his sale. If he leaves on a free after running down a contract they would get nowt - but neither would we, so not good business for anyone (except maybe SJM who could then negotiate a signing on fee).

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 02:12 PM
If SJM signed further contracts with Hibs the sell on clause would just roll over until he left us and St Mirren would still get whatever % had been agreed from his sale. .

I understand that.

I was hypothesising that he did a Lewis Stevenson/Paul Hanlon and stayed with us until the end of his career, St Mirren would nothing, unless there was a further payment agreed.

None of this is likely to be the case, but it keeps me away from the puns. :wink:

Smartie
26-06-2018, 02:14 PM
So who plays midfield in the euro ties then if we have no McGinn, Dylan or Allan signed/still here?? That would leave us with Bartley, Slivka and Swanson is that right?? Should be good enough to get thru but it's a gamble so hopefully get 1 or 2 signed before then... Not sure if Boyle is fit after his injury at back end of last season...

Up front does Murray play with Kamberi or Oli Shaw?

I know there is still time but given it's 2 weeks on Thursday we would ideally want them in during the next week or so to get any new arrivals up to speed and training with teammates I'd imagine...

Whilst it is never ideal, Stevenson or Hanlon have played midfield before, and Ambrose has also been mooted for a shift up there.

Lago
26-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Whilst it is never ideal, Stevenson or Hanlon have played midfield before, and Ambrose has also been mooted for a shift up there.
Why do I feel there is a bit of straw clutching now going on re our possible mid field, Scott Allan seems to be far from a done deal.

Hibby Kay-Yay
26-06-2018, 02:43 PM

We still have Whittaker too

Borderhibbie76
26-06-2018, 03:24 PM
We still have Whittaker tooDearie me we are short on bodies when we are quoting the likes of wee Lewy and Ambrose as midfielders....[emoji85][emoji85] hopefully 1 or 2 new arrivals in next 2 week's

Greenworld
26-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Quite funny if sjm goes to English premiership and all the celtic talk don't matter

Springbank
26-06-2018, 03:42 PM
I see Jamie Mac didn't get on for Australia
Means his time at Hibs helped him get in the squad, though a pity for him that no-one got to see his poacher's instincts in the tournament itself

(worst case in some respects, being selfish for Hibs, was Jamie scoring vs France and Denmark and blowing himself way out of our reach).

Hopefully a good time now to pick up the phone to Darmstadt and his agent and say "so how about getting the band back together with Flo"...

Borderhibbie76
26-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Means his time at Hibs helped him get in the squad, though a pity for him that no-one got to see his poacher's instincts in the tournament itself

(worst case in some respects, being selfish for Hibs, was Jamie scoring vs France and Denmark and blowing himself way out of our reach).

Hopefully a good time now to pick up the phone to Darmstadt and his agent and say "so how about getting the band back together with Flo"...Haha love it....getting the band back together...let's hope so

1van Sprou7e
26-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Hopefully a good time now to pick up the phone to Darmstadt and his agent and say "so how about getting the band back together with Flo"...

He wants to come back, just a case of whether we can afford him or not I suppose (or if he's the best option we can get)

Lago
26-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Armstrong confirmed to S'hampton.

Silversand
26-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Armstrong confirmed to S'hampton.Let the falling dominoes commence [emoji16]

Hermit Crab
26-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Did he travel to Austria with the rest go their squad?

Lago
26-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Did he travel to Austria with the rest go their squad?
Don't know, showing as complete on Sky sports.

Betty Boop
26-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Armstrong signed a four year deal thought to be in the region of 8 million plus add ons.

SloopJB
26-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Armstrong signed a four year deal thought to be in the region of 8 million plus add ons.
Great news, didn't even know we were in for him.

1van Sprou7e
26-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Amazing how easy it is to make a mug of EPL teams these days

HibbyAndy
26-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Great news, didn't even know we were in for him.

:tee hee:

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 05:22 PM
With Armstrong away, this surely opens the door for the McGinn deal to be done if they want him. I’m not sure why, but for some reason I’m not entirely convinced they really do.

Captain Trips
26-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Amazing how easy it is to make a mug of EPL teams these days

It might be for Celtic I have yet to see another SPL club manage it. McGinn is worth every penny that Armstrong is and we will get half that fee if lucky.

Smartie
26-06-2018, 05:25 PM
With Armstrong away, this surely opens the door for the McGinn deal to be done if they want him. I’m not sure why, but for some reason I’m not entirely convinced they really do.

Maybe they're not that interested but are concerned that Rangers might come in and.......

Nah.

Gmack7
26-06-2018, 05:28 PM
It might be for Celtic I have yet to see another SPL club manage it. McGinn is worth every penny that Armstrong is and we will get half that fee if lucky.

Craig Gordon to Sunderland for 8 million was ridiculous

JohnM1875
26-06-2018, 05:29 PM
With Armstrong away maybe Rodgers fancy giving Allan a pre-season to see if he can force his way into the team? Just wish it was the start of the season, we've already qualified for Europa league and we've signed Allan, Mallan, MacLaren and Barker is back on loan haha.

madhatter
26-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Any names to the Italian winger and Belgian goalkeeper? Any substance to the rumour firstly?

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Any names to the Italian winger and Belgian goalkeeper? Any substance to the rumour firstly?

Decent reliable source

Captain Trips
26-06-2018, 05:40 PM

No I do not think it was I think it was bang on. Like it or not an excellent keeper.

Diclonius
26-06-2018, 05:43 PM

Let's gooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

G B Young
26-06-2018, 05:43 PM
No I do not think it was I think it was bang on. Like it or not an excellent keeper.

He's overrated. Always was.

Captain Trips
26-06-2018, 05:45 PM
He's overrated. Always was.

Well I do not think £8m for him to the EPL was OTT at all. I would say £7m for Armstrong is and as for £3m for SJM that IMO is ridiculous.

madhatter
26-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Decent reliable source

Christian Galano? Just going to start guessing names at this rate...

Must say it has been a very slow and boring off-season - very few rumours, very few signings.

I'd prefer quality over quantity but as it stands we don't have a fit goalkeeper (I think) and I have a feeling our 2 centre-mids will definitely be gone (potentially both before Europa qualifiers). Goalkeeper is something you can't rush but we need someone in early next week latest!

3pm
26-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Danny Ings to Celtic, Griffiths to Hibs, Kamberi to Real Madrid for £54m.

Things are taking shape.

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Christian Galano? Just going to start guessing names at this rate...

Must say it has been a very slow and boring off-season - very few rumours, very few signings.

I'd prefer quality over quantity but as it stands we don't have a fit goalkeeper (I think) and I have a feeling our 2 centre-mids will definitely be gone (potentially both before Europa qualifiers). Goalkeeper is something you can't rush but we need someone in early next week latest!

Need to relax, we'll have a few players in time for our 2nd round euro tie

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Need to relax, we'll have a few players in time for our 2nd round euro tie

Would be much better having them for the first round though.

Paisley Hibby
26-06-2018, 06:00 PM

What happens in a straight swap with no money added either way?

Souter96Mac
26-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Been looking on Transfermarkt and you can filter Italian wingers whose contracts are expiring:
Andrea Repossi (21 yr old Right Winger from Ternana Calcio)
Davide Marsura (24 Yr old Left Winger from Venezia)
Rafaelle Paladino (34 Yr old Left Winger from spezia Calcio)

chinaman
26-06-2018, 06:03 PM

hopefully insigne from napoli .
then again maybe not.

Paisley Hibby
26-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Based solely on their respective performances in the last game of the season against The Rangers, it should be Hibs giving Celtic McGinn plus cash, not the other way round 😂

madhatter
26-06-2018, 06:07 PM
hopefully insigne from napoli .
then again maybe not.

Even his brother may be decent. Both at Napoli.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 06:22 PM
What happens in a straight swap with no money added either way?

They would value the player and Hibs pay St Mirren the agreed percentage of that.

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Would be much better having them for the first round though.

We'll have more than enough for the first round even with the team as is

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 06:25 PM
We'll have more than enough for the first round even with the team as is

Aye but there’s more to it than that. If players aren’t in for the first round, how will the be match fit for the second round?

hibees 7062
26-06-2018, 06:25 PM

It was 9 million

Stuart93
26-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Aye but there’s more to it than that. If players aren’t in for the first round, how will the be match fit for the second round?

The same way 2 matches against a part time team don't make you match fit

Benny Brazil
26-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Alan Hutton to Spurs for 10mil was even more ridiculous

B.H.F.C
26-06-2018, 06:41 PM
The same way 2 matches against a part time team don't make you match fit

Na you’re right they’d get absolutely no benefit from playing those games at all. Not to mention the couple of weeks training missed.

Borderhibbie76
26-06-2018, 06:42 PM
The same way 2 matches against a part time team don't make you match fitThere is nothing to disagree over the poster is right...thus far it has been a boring and long pre-season with Kamberi apart...not a lot to be excited about thus far. Like you I'm confident the signings will come....but I agree with BHFC I'd like another couple in before the 1st tie if poss as it's important for the blend of the team going forward... It appears as if re-signing Scotty Allan is a long way off considering he's away with Celtic, Dylan is most probably gone and SJM looking increasing likely too... that's pretty much our entire midfield from end of last season missing for the start of competitive action which is not ideal

SaulGoodman
26-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Danny Ings to Celtic, Griffiths to Hibs, Kamberi to Real Madrid for £54m.

Things are taking shape.

Why would we take £54m when Sunderland were offering £105m just a few weeks back?

Treadstone
26-06-2018, 06:43 PM
It was 9 million

Think the last £2m was never paid. Sunderland kept him away from first team appearances as not to breach the threshold for add on to be paid.

Billy Whizz
26-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Think the last £2m was never paid. Sunderland kept him away from first team appearances as not to breach the threshold for add on to be paid.

Think you’re right. Vlad would have spent it anyway

McD
26-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Cause he has never ever turned up in one single world cup game unlike the best player in the world Ronaldo :greengrin

Dragged his team to the final last time round, as just about every other attacking player went down injured

JeMeSouviens
26-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Dragged his team to the final last time round, as just about every other attacking player went down injured

While Portugal didn’t get out their group and Ron* only scored once. :wink:

* a fantastic player, btw.

HibbyAndy
26-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Behave yersel , He did no such thing

Onceinawhile
26-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Aye, but that doesn't count because of how many world cups the greats like cryuff and best and maldini won single handedly.

Iggy Pope
26-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Aye, but that doesn't count because of how many world cups the greats like cryuff and best and maldini won single handedly.

Eusebio, Puskas, Di Stefano, Platini, Van Basten. Those sort of fellahs?

eastmainsmsh
26-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Stefano Giaconelli 🤔

bingo70
26-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Stefano Giaconelli 🤔

Bit of a random name to pull out the hat?

Going by his Instagram account he’s not in trial with us currently.

(Apologies if I’m missing a joke here)

Billychaotic182
26-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Stefano Giaconelli 🤔

Left sided winger, could be another option is we don’t get Barker back. Unless you are trolling or there is a joke in here I’ve missed

Hibbyradge
26-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Left sided winger, could be another option is we don’t get Barker back. Unless you are trolling or there is a joke in here I’ve missed

Series C? Nah.

Haymaker
27-06-2018, 12:25 AM
:hyper :hyper

Gibby the Hibby
27-06-2018, 12:52 AM

now they have sold armstrong, I think they will move. for SJM makes sense,

Celtic, get 8 mil for armstrong, they will be lucky to give us 2.5 mil if we are getting allan etc, which we know st mirren will end up with around a million. let the tax man take his slice, we wil bank a mil give or take, for our top asset. not great. if it goes down that way, but thats the situation we are in

we end up with buttons and celtic replace armstrong for a better player and pocket a few mil. I wonder if stuart armstrong had performed the same fot us, how much he would be going for!

Greenworld
27-06-2018, 03:15 AM
now they have sold armstrong, I think they will move. for SJM makes sense,

Celtic, get 8 mil for armstrong, they will be lucky to give us 2.5 mil if we are getting allan etc, which we know st mirren will end up with around a million. let the tax man take his slice, we wil bank a mil give or take, for our top asset. not great. if it goes down that way, but thats the situation we are in

we end up with buttons and celtic replace armstrong for a better player and pocket a few mil. I wonder if stuart armstrong had performed the same fot us, how much he would be going for!We all seem to be ignoring the teams down south that have noted interest I still think he will go for nearer the 4 - 5 million Mark to a club in the prem or championship

J-C
27-06-2018, 05:38 AM
Swanson can play off the left but he's not an out and out winger, Boyle is the only real winger we have at senior level, it make sense to try and get another option in case of injuries etc, it's good that we're looking at that.

J-C
27-06-2018, 05:40 AM
We all seem to be ignoring the teams down south that have noted interest I still think he will go for nearer the 4 - 5 million Mark to a club in the prem or championship

If there's genuine interest from down south for £4m+, then it can only be a good thing as we then tell Celtic how much we want and they won't get him on the cheap.

JimBHibees
27-06-2018, 05:51 AM
If there's genuine interest from down south for £4m+, then it can only be a good thing as we then tell Celtic how much we want and they won't get him on the cheap.

Unless Celtic know he is only interested in going to them.

J-C
27-06-2018, 06:02 AM
Unless Celtic know he is only interested in going to them.

This is the million dollar question, we don't know what McGinn is thinking, he's spoken to many people me included and his preference was to go south and play against the best in the EPL, now suddenly he's turned into Celtic's biggest fan and wants to turn out for his boyhood heroes, sounds to me that he doesn't really know what he wants. Increase his wages and win loads of trophies at Celtic without breaking sweat or test yourself against world class players in England.

JimBHibees
27-06-2018, 06:09 AM
This is the million dollar question, we don't know what McGinn is thinking, he's spoken to many people me included and his preference was to go south and play against the best in the EPL, now suddenly he's turned into Celtic's biggest fan and wants to turn out for his boyhood heroes, sounds to me that he doesn't really know what he wants. Increase his wages and win loads of trophies at Celtic without breaking sweat or test yourself against world class players in England.

Hope that is the case however have my doubts. Might be different if an EPL team came in though think if between Celtic and a championship team he would choose lesser greens every time.

we are hibs
27-06-2018, 07:10 AM
It can only be a good thing if there is a few clubs interested. Let's hope it sparks a bidding war

makaveli1875
27-06-2018, 07:19 AM

Broony never went to England and he's been able to test himself against Messi , Neymar , Iniesta , Kroos , Mbappe to name a few . These guys are world class naw ?

Gloucester Hibs
27-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Broony never went to England and he's been able to test himself against Messi , Neymar , Iniesta , Kroos , Mbappe to name a few . These guys are world class naw ?

They are but you could hardly say it’s been on a regular basis. Also in these games he’s often been shown up for being not up to their standard. He’s obviously enjoys being the big fish in a small pond. FWIW he is good at what he does in the SPL, completely different player to the one that left Hibs though.

Greenworld
27-06-2018, 07:37 AM
They are but you could hardly say it’s been on a regular basis. Also in these games he’s often been shown up for being not up to their standard. He’s obviously enjoys being the big fish in a small pond. FWIW he is good at what he does in the SPL, completely different player to the one that left Hibs though.Agree good summary

makaveli1875
27-06-2018, 07:38 AM
They are but you could hardly say it’s been on a regular basis. Also in these games he’s often been shown up for being not up to their standard. He’s obviously enjoys being the big fish in a small pond. FWIW he is good at what he does in the SPL, completely different player to the one that left Hibs though.

You dont play against Aguero and Hazard every week in the EPL , I just dont get this notion that you have to play in England to 'make it' and if you dont go there you've no ambition .

One Day Soon
27-06-2018, 07:57 AM
You dont play against Aguero and Hazard every week in the EPL , I just dont get this notion that you have to play in England to 'make it' and if you dont go there you've no ambition .

The English Premiership is just one of a number of leagues that are immeasurably stronger than ours in terms of the level of team and opponent you would play against week in, week out. I don't think Scott Brown or any other player who stays here can know how good they could have become if they had played with and against a far better standard of player regularly.

MrSmith
27-06-2018, 08:26 AM
The English Premiership is just one of a number of leagues that are immeasurably stronger than ours in terms of the level of team and opponent you would play against week in, week out. I don't think Scott Brown or any other player who stays here can know how good they could have become if they had played with and against a far better standard of player regularly.

I wonder if the introduction of Sky’s £billions,the obscene bank loans and overdrafts provided by the broken financial sector assisted? I’d pretty much like the banks to get the loans and overdrafts paid back back from these clubs!

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 08:31 AM
now suddenly he's turned into Celtic's biggest fan and wants to turn out for his boyhood heroes

Where did you hear/read him say that?

Craig_HFC
27-06-2018, 08:39 AM

No offence but to be fair to McGinn he is hardly going to tell a Hibs supporter that his plan is to sign for Celtic (if indeed that is/was his plan).

Everything a player or manager says to supporters they meet or even in to the media can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Let the falling dominoes commence [emoji16]

I've just dropped my pizza!

Paisley Hibby
27-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Aye, but in a team regularly skelpt 6 or 7-0. Plus he's more often had to play on plastic at the likes of Hamilton on cold wet nights in January.

Maguire
27-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Anybody heard anything about us signing English midfielder James Spearing? been told we are very keen to get a deal done, can't say I've ever heard of him :dunno:

J-C
27-06-2018, 08:50 AM

In the odd European game yes, but not on a regular basis, one thing that's always been thrown at Broony is he never went south to prove himself against the best, paying for Celtic and winning all those trophies is relatively easy as they've always got the financial clout to be well ahead of everyone else, it's been said before that a monkey could manage Celtic and they'd still win.

They've hoovered up all the decent young talent from other clubs, some work out but many don't, this also goes for Rangers. GMS, Christie and Hayes are good examples of Celtic taking the better players from rival clubs to make them weaker.

#persevered
27-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Anybody heard anything about us signing English midfielder James Spearing? been told we are very keen to get a deal done, can't say I've ever heard of him :dunno:

Could it be Jay Spearing? Used to play for Liverpool and was at Bolton when Lennon was there

Vault Boy
27-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Could it be Jay Spearing? Used to play for Liverpool and was at Bolton when Lennon was there

Must be. Think he's out of contract now, having signed for Blackpool last season.

J-C
Where did you hear/read him say that?

1. My comment tongue in cheek.
2. Obviously I didn't hear him say/read that but it's well known that he and his family are Celtic minded with his granddad being an ex Celtic chairman. Also a couple of posters have said they've spoken to family embers and they said he's desperate to go there.

Maguire

Possibly, i thought i heard James but very well could have been Jay, would make sense with Lennon/Bolton link

CapitalGreen
27-06-2018, 08:57 AM
No offence but to be fair to McGinn he is hardly going to tell a Hibs supporter that his plan is to sign for Celtic (if indeed that is/was his plan).

Everything a player or manager says to supporters they meet or even in to the media can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

J-C's just annoyed because having posted on every thread possible that he spoke to McGinn once and he said he had no interest in singing for Celtic, he will now look a bit silly if that happens.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 09:00 AM
2. Obviously I didn't hear him say/read that but it's well known that he and his family are Celtic minded with his granddad being an ex Celtic chairman. Also a couple of posters have said they've spoken to family embers and they said he's desperate to go there.

Gotcha.

J-C
27-06-2018, 09:02 AM
J-C's just annoyed because having posted on every thread possible that he spoke to McGinn once and he said he had no interest in singing for Celtic, he will now look a bit silly if that happens.

What a ridiculous post, so what if I spoke to McGinn and that's what he said, it's also been commented on by a few other posters that he wanted to go south. People are allowed to change their minds and if he goes to Celtic it might well be the case that he has done just that, personally I'd prefer him to go south rather than to Celtic but as I'm just a fan I have no control, I feel he'd become a better player by going south but if he goes west I sincerely hope we get the best deal we can.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 09:09 AM
It's interesting that players who go to Celtic lack ambition, but players like Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon, who don't even do that, are heroes.

I have no doubt that both those players could have brokered deals to "challenge themselves" down south which would have been good for them financially, but they decided to stay at Hibs.

Ozyhibby
27-06-2018, 09:18 AM
It's interesting that players who go to Celtic lack ambition, but players like Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon, who don't even do that, are heroes.

I have no doubt that both those players could have brokered deals to "challenge themselves" down south which would have been good for them financially, but they decided to stay at Hibs.

Steven Fletcher probably has earned more money that Scott Brown and ‘challenged himself’ in England. I know which career will be looked back more fondly on.

SirDavidsNapper
27-06-2018, 09:18 AM
As long as Hibs get the best deal possible he could go to the Irish league as far as i'm concerned. Not a bad position for him to be in, Scotland's champions or the riches of England but Hibs are my only concern. John's been a great player for us and i wish him well but as soon as he leaves he'll be another clubs player and we need to move on. May the highest bidder win!

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Steven Fletcher probably has earned more money that Scott Brown and ‘challenged himself’ in England. I know which career will be looked back more fondly on.

I'm assuming you mean Brown's career, but I can't be sure so I'm hesitant to agree with you!

:hilarious

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 09:21 AM
As long as Hibs get the best deal possible he could go to the Irish league as far as i'm concerned. Not a bad position for him to be in, Scotland's champions or the riches of England but Hibs are my only concern. John's been a great player for us and i wish him well but as soon as he leaves he'll be another clubs player and we need to move on. May the highest bidder win!

I certainly agree with this.

However, if he moves to Leeds as was rumoured, I'll keep an interest as I'll be able to go and watch him.

Ozyhibby
27-06-2018, 09:24 AM
I'm assuming you mean Brown's career, but I can't be sure so I'm hesitant to agree with you!

:hilarious

I meant Brown’s. [emoji3]

snooky
27-06-2018, 09:27 AM
In the odd European game yes, but not on a regular basis, one thing that's always been thrown at Broony is he never went south to prove himself against the best, paying for Celtic and winning all those trophies is relatively easy as they've always got the financial clout to be well ahead of everyone else, it's been said before that a monkey could manage Celtic and they'd still win.

They've hoovered up all the decent young talent from other clubs, some work out but many don't, this also goes for Rangers. GMS, Christie and Hayes are good examples of Celtic taking the better players from rival clubs to make them weaker.

It's bad enough weakening all their opposition this way however, what's is worse is when they don't play them and leave them in the reserve pools to waste away. THEN they have the gall to complain about the lack of quality opposition in the league.
:grr:

scoopyboy
27-06-2018, 09:33 AM

He could still sing for Celtic and play for Hibs, as long as the games don't clash.:greengrin

southern hibby
27-06-2018, 09:35 AM

JC, I posted this, a mate of mine is friendly with a member of his family who is adamant that McGinn wants to join Celtic. I posted this because I’m only passing on what I’ve been told. I also said I do not know if his family member is winding up my mate or being genuinely honest to him.

I was also told several other things that I’ve not mentioned about McGinn because basically I’m actually going to wait and see if they pan out. But I will say I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Hibs this season.

I personally hope he goes south as I feel if we get a good sell on % then it’ll be more beneficial to us in the long run.

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 09:40 AM
I meant Brown’s. [emoji3]

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree. :greengrin

I love it when Scottish players do well for the better teams in England, but apart from Andy Robertson ( who might not keep his place when Moreno is 100% fit again) it doesn't happen too often these days. Playing for, never mind captaining, Celtc all those years is a bigger achievement and challenge than if he'd signed for someone like Brighton or Crystal Palace.

It's ok if you lose games with the likes of West Bromwich and Huddersfield, just as long as you get 40 points out of a possible 114. In fact, Southampton only got 36 points last term and they were 3 clear of relegation.

If you've got a losing mentality at Celtc, you're not there for long.

H18 SFR
27-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Possibly, i thought i heard James but very well could have been Jay, would make sense with Lennon/Bolton link

Hope not, he always strikes me as Willow Flood'esque'.

1van Sprou7e
27-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Hope not, he always strikes me as Willow Flood'esque'.

Is that a bad thing?

Flood was a great player in his day