PDA

View Full Version : How many points have referee mistakes cost us?

The Green Goblin
12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Just thinking about Wednesday’s game and a phrase I have seen in a few posts on here along the lines of “all we needed was a point” etc.

Well, if it comes down to having needed just that single point to be in with a shout tomorrow, the question needs asking, how many points have we lost as a result of refereeing mistakes? I’m not talking about close calls, or things that could be debated (Clancy’s failure to award a penalty against the huns at ER for example: stonewall pen but it may not necessarily have resulted in a goal).

I’ll kick it off with Oli Shaw’s goal at Tynecastle. Clear goal. No doubt. That’s TWO points right there. That alone means that due to incompetent officialling (the failure to see a GOAL) the club has lost hundreds of thousands of pounds and a potential European spot. That’s worth bearing in mind when we consider the end of season.

Any others?

kaimendhibs
12-05-2018, 01:15 PM
I agree. I hate when people say refs didn't cost us points or contribute to losing games. It happens all the time. Last Saturday, for example. Squirrel was pulled back by the face when charging in on goal. No penalty given

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
12-05-2018, 01:20 PM
How do we know that the teams above us haven't had bad referee decisions against them.
We have the 2nd highest amount of draws in the league, only one behind the hertz.
Let's not blame the men in black, it was in our own hands in the end & we blew it.

wookie70
12-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Rocky's red in Perth. Ball hit him legally before hitting his arm accidentally.

guthrie01
12-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Rocky's red in Perth. Ball hit him legally before hitting his arm accidentally.

Think that one was a red card, the blame was on Rocky not the ref for us losing 2 points that game

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2018, 01:33 PM
A minimum of 5 and that's just off the top of my head.

Oli's not given goal at the rust arena = 2 points
An as clear as day deliberate handball in the 2 -1 defeat to the Huns = 1 point
A ridiculous penalty award at Killie = 2 points

Just Jimmy
12-05-2018, 01:35 PM
missing a penalty at Aberdeen...

or was that not the ref?

refs have been appalling but we've also contributed at times.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Green Goblin
12-05-2018, 01:39 PM
How do we know that the teams above us haven't had bad referee decisions against them.
We have the 2nd highest amount of draws in the league, only one behind the hertz.
Let's not blame the men in black, it was in our own hands in the end & we blew it.

If Shaw’s clear as day goal is given and we win that game, then the loss on Wednesday wouldn’t have been our season decider. That’s my point. I’m not denying there have been other decisions against other teams, but how many of them have ended up clearly costing them two or three points?

Waxy
12-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Things like the jambo keeping the ball in the crowd for 30 seconds then Thomson not adding the extra time confirm corruption.

Jones28
12-05-2018, 01:49 PM
It's frustrating as hell.

What frustrates me more however is thinking about all the draws we've had that have cost us even more. Off the top of my head without looking back; Kilmarnock away, 2-0 up/2-2 final score; Motherwell at home 2-0 up/2-2 final score; Hamilton Accies away 1-0 up/1-1 final score despite having dominated the game.

After looking up you can add Saints and Dundee away to that list, both 1-1 draws.

Then the losses like Accies at home and Saints at home.

Since90+2
12-05-2018, 01:52 PM
How many points have Aberdeen or Sevco missed out on? It's impossible to know where we would be as even if penalties are awarded for example you can't guarantee its scored and then the whole pattern of the game is different ect

Andy Bee
12-05-2018, 02:15 PM
How many points have Aberdeen or Sevco missed out on? It's impossible to know where we would be as even if penalties are awarded for example you can't guarantee its scored and then the whole pattern of the game is different ect

TBF Oli's goal wasn't a dubious penalty kick or sending off that did or didn't happen it was a clear goal, no ifs or buts, everyone except the officials knew it was a goal. That denied win bonuses for the players, another goal on Olis record, a chance of second place still alive and a chance of a better qualifying round for Europe. I'd say that all would equate to close if not a seven figure sum.

Killiehibbie
12-05-2018, 02:20 PM
These things even themselves out over time is often said but it's certainly no good in 40 years time. How many clear goals have Aberdeen or Rangers been denied this season?

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Goes both ways though doesn't it? Celtic could have had a pen in the first league match in the last min.

We were lucky to hold on after throwing away a 2 goal lead vs Motherwell. There'll be plenty others I'm sure

And I'm sure Aberdeen and rangers have had decisions go against them, it honestly isn't just hibs

Since90+2
12-05-2018, 02:38 PM
TBF Oli's goal wasn't a dubious penalty kick or sending off that did or didn't happen it was a clear goal, no ifs or buts, everyone except the officials knew it was a goal. That denied win bonuses for the players, another goal on Olis record, a chance of second place still alive and a chance of a better qualifying round for Europe. I'd say that all would equate to close if not a seven figure sum.

Oli's goal was indeed over the line but if that goal is given the entire flow of the match is different therefore you can't guarantee Hearts wouldn't have scored later on.

12-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Refs have cost us some points but they will have cost every other team points at various times throughout the season. As terrible as the officials are in this country, we have to look a bit closer to home when asking why we didn't finish 2nd or 3rd. We dropped too many silly points and gave away some very cheap goals.

KingFranck
12-05-2018, 02:51 PM
It's well known we are the most fouled team in the league and I believe if more players had been sent off against us (deservedly) then we may have achieved more points

Velma Dinkley
12-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Have any other teams had perfectly good goals disallowed this season simply because the match officials didn't see the ball was over the goal line?

danhibees1875
12-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Goes both ways though doesn't it? Celtic could have had a pen in the first league match in the last min.

We were lucky to hold on after throwing away a 2 goal lead vs Motherwell. There'll be plenty others I'm sure

And I'm sure Aberdeen and rangers have had decisions go against them, it honestly isn't just hibs

:agree:

Jack's sending off in our first win over them and the penalty we got in the second win are both decisions that rangers could say went against them.

None as clear as Shaw's goal, for sure. But there does seem to be a tendancy to just focus on the decisions that went against us (and doing so with bias). It's our own fault we didn't pick up more points, but it's - more importantly - our own achievement that we picked up the points that we did in what has been a good season.

Libby Hibby
12-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Let’s not forget Wednesday itself, the winner scored by someone who should’ve been suspended

Austinho
12-05-2018, 09:17 PM
The last game against Aberdeen where the keeper is 3 yards off his line when he saves MacLaren’s penalty. And then Boyle barged in the face when through on goal - last kick of the game and no penalty given. Surprised that hasn’t been mentioned more, as a win there and we’d still be in with a shot of 2nd.

The Green Goblin
13-05-2018, 01:57 AM
Just thinking about Wednesday’s game and a phrase I have seen in a few posts on here along the lines of “all we needed was a point” etc.

Well, if it comes down to having needed just that single point to be in with a shout tomorrow, the question needs asking, how many points have we lost as a result of refereeing mistakes? I’m not talking about close calls, or things that could be debated (Clancy’s failure to award a penalty against the huns at ER for example: stonewall pen but it may not necessarily have resulted in a goal).

I’ll kick it off with Oli Shaw’s goal at Tynecastle. Clear goal. No doubt. That’s TWO points right there. That alone means that due to incompetent officialling (the failure to see a GOAL) the club has lost hundreds of thousands of pounds and a potential European spot. That’s worth bearing in mind when we consider the end of season.

Any others?

:aok:

Have any other teams had perfectly good goals disallowed this season simply because the match officials didn't see the ball was over the goal line?

This is what I’m talking about. A clear goal not seen or given.

EastThomasSTboy
13-05-2018, 02:17 PM
:aok:

This is what I’m talking about. A clear goal not seen or given.

Well we certainly got a hand up today from the Ref!!! We got a point due to him not sending Allan off and then "missing" Hanlons hand for a clear penalty.http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

GGTTH.

lyonhibs
13-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Same for all teams I'm sure, so swings and roundabouts tbh.

It's been a great season just the way it is IMO

Hermit Crab
13-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Well we certainly got a hand up today from the Ref!!! We got a point due to him not sending Allan off and then "missing" Hanlons hand for a clear penalty.http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

GGTTH.

Whittaker was it not?

Its individual errors that have cost us this season more than the officials.