PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Travel to Tony Macaroni Stadium?

SideBurns
11-05-2018, 07:26 AM
My 14 year old boy is thinking of going through to the Livvy v Utd match tonight with a couple of pals (cheering Utd due to the Hibby contingent); I've only ever been by car, could anyone recommend the best train station to use? Or would he better getting a bus if it takes him closer to the ground? Thanks in advance folks.

Jay
11-05-2018, 07:31 AM
The bus takes him a couple of mins away but takes over an hour from centre of Edinburgh. Its the First bus 27 or 28. Get off at the shopping centre beside the McDonald's drive thru and walk round towards Bubbles and down the steps.

Train takes about twenty five mins but is about a half hour walk (ish) Livi North has more frequent trains.

greenlex
11-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Bus will take him to the station at the Livingston and it’s a short walk from there.
Either station is about equidistant and a 20/30 min walk but there’s more regular trains to north.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2018, 07:32 AM
27 from princess street will take you to the centre which is 2 minutes walk. Livingston north is the closest station, maybe 15/20 minutes walk?

greenlex
11-05-2018, 07:33 AM
The bus takes him a couple of mins away but takes over an hour from centre of Edinburgh. Its the First bus 27 or 28. Get off at the shopping centre beside the McDonald's drive thru and walk round towards Bubbles and down the steps.

Train takes about twenty five mins but is about a half hour walk (ish) Livi North has more frequent trains.
Far more informative.

Jay
11-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Far more informative.

I can give price of fares too :na na:

Theres also the number 22 bus. I forget about it because it doesnt come through our village. I think it goes broxburn.

seanshow
11-05-2018, 07:56 AM
The 21/22 is an alternative goes to Livi centre and walk down the hill to the stadium, it uses the A8/A89 so has the bonus of going nowhere near gorgie :)
(roadwork at murrayfield/zoo could slow it up but is generally quicker than the 27/28.

seanshow
11-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Personally I would get the train and a taxi to from deans or murieston stations, but that is going to cost YOU money :greengrin

SideBurns
11-05-2018, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks, all very helpful and gives a few options. Personally I think he's off his heid wanting to go in the first place, but he's fitba daft...

MB62
11-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Are they quite frequent on returning to Edinburgh after the game?

tartanhibee
11-05-2018, 08:38 AM
I’m also heading along to this tonight with couple off United supporting mates. Be nice to be at a play off game with no pressure and just watch the game.

Jay
11-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Are they quite frequent on returning to Edinburgh after the game?

Buses are about every half hour at that time of night. Trains are the same.

Buy a return ticket on the bus, for an adult it saves over a quid. And the 27/28 take contactless payments.

SideBurns
11-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Buses are about every half hour at that time of night. Trains are the same.

Buy a return ticket on the bus, for an adult it saves over a quid. And the 27/28 take contactless payments.

Thanks again Mrs S. Think he might be better taking the bus as it is a shorter walk to the bus stop after the match; the distance to the train station in the dark makes me feel slightly uncomfortable (although no doubt here will be plenty fans making the same journey).

Jay
11-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks again Mrs S. Think he might be better taking the bus as it is a shorter walk to the bus stop after the match; the distance to the train station in the dark makes me feel slightly uncomfortable (although no doubt here will be plenty fans making the same journey).

Thats what id recommend. Theres a McDonalds across the road too if they are hungry. Bus stop home is same side as McDs but further up a bit.

iwasthere1972
11-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Definitely avoid the walk from the train station to the ground. I did it many years ago and I reckon it was a good 25-30 minutes. Virtually no pavements either unless that's improved.

O'Rourke3
11-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Definitely avoid the walk from the train station to the ground. I did it many years ago and I reckon it was a good 25-30 minutes. Virtually no pavements either unless that's improved.

There are paths back to the centre which avoid the traffic completely, that's how new towns were designed.

I'd avoid these paths in the dark though.... 27/28 is the simplest.

SmashinGlass
11-05-2018, 11:16 AM
As a resident of Livi these days, the local taxis are only a fiver at most for a single journey within central livi. It's either the price on the meter or a fiver, whichever is less.

If you decide to get the train and walk down, a taxi back to the station may be the best bet.

Best numbers to try are 01506 415000 or 01506 499111. These two taxi firms do the fiver deal.

SideBurns
11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks again for all the replies folks - if the train is the way forward, will defo get a taxi booked after the game. Might even end up going through myself now (I'm off ma heid tae)...