PDA

View Full Version : Hibs need to sign a new left back for the 2018-19 season

CathroMustStay
10-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Straight into the starting eleven, not a squad player.

Must be done.

MyJo
10-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Must be done.

****** off

HoboHarry
10-05-2018, 07:48 PM

Must be done.

There is a vacant space under yer bed calling your name.....

Brooster
10-05-2018, 07:50 PM

Must be done.

Correct. And a new goalie in my opinion.

3pm
10-05-2018, 07:51 PM
I have no objections about a better full back coming in if he plays consistently better than Lewis.

That would be very difficult for anyone though. He’s been great this season.

Poorer game last night, it happens. Just a pity with it being a derby.

Chin up Lewis! 🇳🇬

Squirrel 1875
10-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Must be done.

Post of an idiot.

andy1875
10-05-2018, 07:56 PM
How predictable.

Hibs lose a game, and whilst Lewis didnt have his best game, some folk can’t wait to roll out the usual bashing of players.

Tell me, what other games this season has Lewis been poor and culpable for goals?

we are hibs
10-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Why are people so precious about Lewis Stevenson? Yes he gives 100% but is he good enough for where we want to be and the direction we want to go in? I don't think he is. If we want to consistently be in and amongst it at the top of the league; have a decent go at it in Europe then we are going to have to improve in his position and a few others too.

SideBurns
10-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Lewis has one bad game (and even then he wins us a penalty) and it starts. The man has had a fantastic season. Be careful what you wish for, Lewis-haters.

Allant1981
10-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Why are people so precious about Lewis Stevenson? Yes he gives 100% but is he good enough for where we want to be and the direction we want to go in? I don't think he is. If we want to consistently be in and amongst it at the top of the league; have a decent go at it in Europe then we are going to have to improve in his position and a few others too.

he has had one bad game, not an area where we desperately need to strengthen

we are hibs
10-05-2018, 08:00 PM
he has had one bad game, not an area where we desperately need to strengthen
He's had more than one bad game. And it is a position we need to strengthen if we wan to progress as a club.

neil7908
10-05-2018, 08:00 PM
I do actually think we need competition for Lewis but he's been great this season so not the priority.

CallumLaidlaw
10-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Last night was probably the only game he’s dipped below a 7/10 all season. Before last night, the few games before it he was a 8 or 9. In the summer there’s MANY other positions we’re gonna need to deal with before left back. Right back for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
10-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Yes he is. He had a poor game last night, most of the team did.

Contrast to the Celtic games this season, played blinders in both, rangers at Ibrox - played in a makeshift back three alongside Porteous and captained the side to victory.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2018, 08:03 PM
I do actually think we need competition for Lewis but he's been great this season so not the priority.

Definitely not a priority when we are going to be needing about 3 midfielders, 3 strikers and probably a wide player first.

This time last year I would have agreed entirely with the OP. But Stevenson has improved a lot, particularly second half of the season. That said, if we can get a better player the do it.

Allant1981
10-05-2018, 08:04 PM
He's had more than one bad game. And it is a position we need to strengthen if we wan to progress as a club.

Left back is the least of our problems, stevenson is easy a 7/10 performer every week. He will have games where he isnt great but so will every single player that plays the game, another overreaction to last night

Ryan69
10-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Left back is the least of our problems, stevenson is easy a 7/10 performer every week. He will have games where he isnt great but so will every single player that plays the game, another overreaction to last night

It would a near impossib!e job finding a harder working,consistent,loyal solid left back on a budget the size of Hibs.

Theres a reason he is the only Hibs player of won Scottish and League cup.

PatHead
10-05-2018, 08:09 PM
I like Lewis but people do get too protective of him. He did have a bad game last night, he also played Kris Boyd onside for his header and the Aberdeen player late on last Saturday.

But you should bee allowed to criticise him just like any other player if he makes mistakes without being shot down.

For me, not a priority to replace. He is a regular solid performer and I think he has had his best season yet.

we are hibs
Yes he is. He had a poor game last night, most of the team did.

Contrast to the Celtic games this season, played blinders in both, rangers at Ibrox - played in a makeshift back three alongside Porteous and captained the side to victory.

Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it and I'm not going to get into the same debates that have been done to death for years now but all I'm saying is that if we want to progress as a club, we need to improve at left back and other positions and not stagnate.

Tyler Durden
Yes Stevenson has been great but he has little in the way of competition. With McGinn likely away aswell we are lacking left sided players so someone who can play left wing back and give Lewis competition would definitely be a wise move.

Is Mackie anywhere near stepping up?

Jim44
Last night was probably the only game he’s dipped below a 7/10 all season. Before last night, the few games before it he was a 8 or 9. In the summer there’s MANY other positions we’re gonna need to deal with before left back. Right back for one.

agree: There are a few potential vacancies which have to be addressed before we start worrying about replacing Stevenson.

madhatter
10-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Avoiding the Stevenson debate...we 100% need a new left back next season. It is crazy that for about 2-3 years we've pretty much had 1 senior left back, an injury prone right back without cover (Gray) and no permanent left winger for about 4 years. Weakest areas in terms of injury susceptibility and cover have never really been sorted out.

Leith Green
10-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Right back needs sorted first i reckon. Im all for improving on what we already have , but there is also a need to have players who are consistent , give 100 per cent and are delighted to be at the club..

Dashing Bob S

I wouldn’t consider myself precious about him. Several times over the last few seasons I’ve called for him to replaced, and have considered him a weak link we had to strengthen in order to advance.

But he’s been one of our best players this season and to punt him after one poor performance in a season of unbridled consistency would be foolish.

truehibernian
Made a mistake, wins the penalty to get us back in it. Never let his head drop all game despite knowing he had a stinker of a 20 minute period first half.

Do people watch games properly ? The boy is technically, mentally and physically one of the best at the club !!!

Allant1981
10-05-2018, 08:17 PM
I like Lewis but people do get too protective of him. He did have a bad game last night, he also played Kris Boyd onside for his header and the Aberdeen player late on last Saturday.

But you should bee allowed to criticise him just like any other player if he makes mistakes without being shot down.

For me, not a priority to replace. He is a regular solid performer and I think he has had his best season yet.

there is criticism and just plain nonsense sometimes though

jacomo
10-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it and I'm not going to get into the same debates that have been done to death for years now but all I'm saying is that if we want to progress as a club, we need to improve at left back and other positions and not stagnate.

In other words... “I acknowledge you have a different opinion but I am going to dismiss it as rubbish.”

Maybe you’ve got it wrong?

Lewis has played under 8 managers I think, and impressed every one.

That is some going.

Winston Ingram

Must be done.

Pish. Lewis made a couple of mistakes last night but he has been absolutely outstanding this season.

gillythehibby

You could say this about half the squad if that's the case !

Heisenberg
10-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Right back is a much higher priority.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Not if we continue with a back 3 it’s not. Boyle fits that wingback role perfectly.

weecounty hibby
10-05-2018, 08:31 PM
This is getting mental. Replace him yes by all means but only when it is with someone better, not just because he made a couple of mistakes last night. Two weeks ago he was absolutely immense against celtic and could easily have been MOM. We need to replace the midfield leavers before we look at left back. LS has been very consistent all season in the best Hibs side I can remember watching

The Modfather
10-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Had a poor game last night but has been excellent this season. Up until the second half of this season I’d have described him as solid defensively but not good enough in an attacking sense to play as a wingback. His crossing and final ball really seems to have come on this last 6 months or so.

Definitely need a new first choice RB and genuine completion for Stevenson in the summer.

Heisenberg
10-05-2018, 08:35 PM

Must be done.

Where have you been all season? Lewis has been brilliant in the majority of matches. One bad game and you want him replaced. Ludicrous.

bigwheel
10-05-2018, 08:37 PM
McGregor, Hanlon, McGinn, Allan, Kamberi...all of them offered less than Stevenson did last night... A poor shift for many...Lewis needs competition sure, but as someone else said we have much bigger issues to deal with than him...OP's likes this are just lowest common denominator stuff..

we are hibs
10-05-2018, 08:38 PM
In other words... “I acknowledge you have a different opinion but I am going to dismiss it as rubbish.”

Maybe you’ve got it wrong?

Lewis has played under 8 managers I think, and impressed every one.

That is some going.

No. Not that in other words. Don't try and interpret what I'm saying as something completely different. Stevenson is an okay full back, he's steady enough and his best performance in a hibs shirt in that position came a few weeks back against Celtic IMO. But I just feel if we don't want to stagnate and want to keep progressing that we need to improve on him and others. I've not came on here and completely slated him. I've gave an opinion saying I think we are coming to a stage where we need to look to upgrade in numerous positions including his.

Smartie
10-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Because he's an absolutely brilliant football player.

He was pish last night. When you play the number of games he does, you will get the odd stinker.

I actually don't think I remember him ever playing as badly as he did last night, it was unusual.

His excellent form has been a big reason behind our good results in the second half of this season.

Left-back is absolutely not the place we need to be targeting for next season, given we might be about to lose all our first choice midfielders and forwards.

Baader
10-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Was the best player on park against Celtic two weeks ago! Possibly the best I can remember him in a Hibs jersey. We need cover for him but signing a left back isn't the main priority right now...

The Modfather
10-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Not if we continue with a back 3 it’s not. Boyle fits that wingback role perfectly.

Boyle has been excellent at wingback, but we lose some of him in an attacking sense having him start further back. I’d have RB as a priority as we don’t have anyone good enough to play RB in a 4 at the moment other than short term IMO. I don’t think Whittaker is good enough defensively or disciplined enough, and SDG was poor last season, again IMO, and possibly on the decline.

familyman
10-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Not since Murphy have we had a quality left back LONG OVERDUE.
Efforts is not enough ,nor sadly hard work, skill in abundance is necessary.

IGRIGI
10-05-2018, 08:48 PM
I almost ripped the tap aff it when I read the thread title and thought about the foaming at the mouth and keyboard bashing combo to come.

Ryan91
10-05-2018, 08:51 PM
I have no objections about a better full back coming in if he plays consistently better than Lewis.

That would be very difficult for anyone though. He’s been great this season.

Poorer game last night, it happens. Just a pity with it being a derby.

Chin up Lewis! 🇳🇬

Last night was an abberation from Lewis, who is normally Mr Reliable and almost always puts in a solid shift, but every player can have an off game. McGinn has had more than a few off games this season, including one last night, but I don't see people calling for him to be straight up replaced.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Right back is a way bigger problem. So is central midfield and center forward and left wing. Lewis isn't a worry

The_Horde
10-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Troll.

WoreTheGreen
10-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Troll.

To many taking the bait from the kiddieback

HibeeHibernian4
10-05-2018, 09:07 PM
This is an interesting one for me, I used to be very much of the mindset (in the 2012-15 era, roughly) that Lewis Stevenson needed to stop being our first choice left back if Hibs wanted to make any 'progress'.

That's a sentence that's been used a lot on here. But look how much progress the club's made in the last three seasons, with him playing at left back all the while. Last night was a very, very poor performance on his part, and it's a shame, because the last 6 months he has hardly put a foot wrong and his actually contributed very well going forward - the Maclaren goal against Celtic that he assisted springs to mind.

I think we need to strengthen other areas of the park first, namely a new centre back, right back and a replacement in midfield for McGeouch, as well as hopefully signing up Maclaren and Kamberi permanently if possible.

Stantons Angel
10-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Must be done.

Well it took you long enough!

The predictability of these types of posts doesnt surprise me at all.

All over the field we had players playing well below par and unfortunately its Lewis who lost possession to Lafferty allowing him to poke the ball in the net.

Yes he had a bad game to his usual standards as did they all. There is no use pointing out one player to blame for it all and its always Lewis.

We are allowed to criticise him and last night we all did. But really have you not read the posts about his form this season?

Some on here who have openly admitted having a go at him previously have acknowledged the fact that he has been tremendous for the whole season.

Last night he walked off that field like a broken man. He knew what that game meant to the fans and how they would get on his back so quickly. He knew the dream of 2nd place was over too.

Calling for his head when Super John McGinn and even Darren were very poor too, but i dont see posts saying they should be replaced, do you?

This was one game out of a season that had so much hanging on the result, so it was important not to just us the supporters but to the players too. They will be devastated too remember.

Then with the manager throwing a wobbly and saying he may leave cause they dont listen to him? It was his job to put out the team last night and i think that was the wrong line up he chose.

its done and dusted now and im sure if anyone had said we'd finish 4th in our first season back, we'd have taken it gladly.

Ive enjoyed being a Hibby this season and im proud of my teams efforts too. So its up and at them for Sunday and lets show them our appreciation and Lewis!

angus hibby
10-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Avoiding the Stevenson debate...we 100% need a new left back next season. It is crazy that for about 2-3 years we've pretty much had 1 senior left back, an injury prone right back without cover (Gray) and no permanent left winger for about 4 years. Weakest areas in terms of injury susceptibility and cover have never really been sorted out.

Is Whittaker not cover for both full back positions?

HibeeHibernian4
Because he's an absolutely brilliant football player.

Comments like this, however, are exactly the sort of hyperbole that turn a minority of Hibs fans off Stevenson, through no fault of his own. He is held up as some sort of deity by our support, when the reality is, if he was as "absolutely brilliant" a football player as some folk make him out to be, he would've moved onto bigger things a long time ago, or at least been offered the chance to refuse to move onto bigger things and stay at Hibs. The fact that hasn't happened doesn't make him "crap" or "not good enough for Hibs", he's a solid, dependable full back who on his best day is a very big asset for our side, but 'absolutely brilliant'? Give us a break.

calumhibee1

Must be done.

If a full back better than Lewis became available in our budget then yes, maybe we do. However I’d be 99% certain that won’t happen.

angus hibby
10-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Guaranteed the one person who will be absolutely distraught after last night is Lewis. He’s his own biggest critic and whilst he unfortunately was at fault for the first and arguably for the 2nd too, he’s had an outstanding season. Probably his best ever for Hibs.

keep the faith
10-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Must be done.

This post is so knee jerk and so Ill informed it's embarrassing.

snooky
10-05-2018, 09:16 PM

Must be done.

:agree: Bring back McGivern :coffee:

Thecat23
10-05-2018, 09:19 PM
OP clearly trolling, not bothered coming back to at least back up his argument. He’s now got the usual ones at each other.

Simple answer Stevenson has been outstanding this season. If we find a better left back who is as or more consistent I bet he’ll not come to us and will be at a better team.

Smartie
10-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Comments like this, however, are exactly the sort of hyperbole that turn a minority of Hibs fans off Stevenson, through no fault of his own. He is held up as some sort of deity by our support, when the reality is, if he was as "absolutely brilliant" a football player as some folk make him out to be, he would've moved onto bigger things a long time ago, or at least been offered the chance to refuse to move onto bigger things and stay at Hibs. The fact that hasn't happened doesn't make him "crap" or "not good enough for Hibs", he's a solid, dependable full back who on his best day is a very big asset for our side, but 'absolutely brilliant'? Give us a break.

I think he is absolutely brilliant.

What exactly are we looking for in a player that we don't get from Lewis?

He's strong in the tackle, quick, aggressive, tenacious, mobile, good on the ball with a great touch, does well in the air for his height, provides an attacking threat, versatile enough to play loads of positions to a high standard, consistent, resolute.........

He has been immense for months and has been a huge part of our revival as a club over the past few years.

I don't really know why he's not had an opportunity to move on. Maybe he has.

A player as good as Lewis deserves better than for people to start questioning him after his first poor game in ages.

percy veer
10-05-2018, 09:30 PM
FFS first McGregor now Stevenson , while we are at it get shot of Hanlon and Mcginn, I wish we could get rid of people like you from our support

Stuart93
10-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Not stevensons biggest fan but he's turned me this season, constitancy is better than anyone else's in the squad.

However I don't understand people saying it's not really an area we need to strengthen. We have one LB at the club now with crane leaving, we definitely need to bring one in at least to provide some competition for places.

It was George craig who said 2 senior players & a youth player for every position on the park.

CathroMustStay
10-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Not since Murphy have we had a quality left back LONG OVERDUE.
Efforts is not enough ,nor sadly hard work, skill in abundance is necessary.

Indeed.

EVENTUALLY
10-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Must be done.

Why? He's been great for a long time now and fantastic lately, ask yourself or any other Hertz fan how difficult it is to find a decent left back. Lewis Stevenson has seen off Forrest and MacKay Stevens in recent weeks with ease and slotted into a central defensive role at Ibrox with no bother. Really good and realible defender whose consistent performances are forgotten whenever he makes a mistake, as he did a couple of times last night. Defensive mistakes are punished frequently, ask Adao.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Such an abberation he won us a penalty

cleanyman
10-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Lewis Stevenson is okay. He's been okay his whole career. Can we get better? Perhaps. I'd happily punt him anyway.

Forza Fred
10-05-2018, 11:22 PM

That’s pretty much a ‘motherhood’ statement though to be fair.

I’m sure we could improve in EVERY’ position if we had the financial clout to do so.

I certainly don’t see left back as an are requiring immediate replacement, given our budget and probable long list of players about to depart.

lord bunberry
11-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Stevenson will be the starting left back next season. The reason for that is that he’s just had probably his best season ever. I’ve criticised him in the past as I didn’t think he offered enough in attack, but he’s clearly worked hard on that. His position is the least of our worries.

JimBHibees
11-05-2018, 05:39 AM
FFS first McGregor now Stevenson , while we are at it get shot of Hanlon and Mcginn, I wish we could get rid of people like you from our support

This forum is so knee jerk it is embarrassing. A mixture of attention seekers and yams stirring the pot. I think everyone has had it full barrels since we lost our first game in ages.

This has been a brilliant season.

Benny Brazil
11-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Would be interested to know who the people that think Lewis needs replaced think we could get who would do better than him? I can't think of one left back in Scotland apart from Tierney who is better than Lewis

Brightside
11-05-2018, 06:16 AM
We don’t have a fit RB at the club.

BoomtownHibees
11-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Would have agreed previously but he’s been excellent this season, especially since the winter break. Of course there is better out there, the same for every position, but wouldn’t be anywhere close to a priority for me. He’s turned in to the 2nd or 3rd best left back in the league imo

PeeJay
11-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Must be done.

Stevenson is the least of the "problems" at ER - personally I can't praise the guy high enough for his long-standing commitment to the club, his professionalism and his ability to get the given job done admirably as he has on most occasions throughout his long career at the club - Lewis had a poor game on Wednesday, but he never hid at any stage of the game - he's had a great season, yet again ...

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Must be done.

🤡🤣

07BigD
11-05-2018, 06:41 AM
This thread is absolute dog turd, get competition in by all means, let's see them try and oust the wee man

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

eastcoasthibby
11-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Whilst I agree ideally we need to strengthen in this position, it may well be a fair bit down the priority list, with I suspect us needing 3 new midfielders and 3 forwards to come in for starters and also a right back ...but we dont have another left back on our books ready to play or cover, so it will need to be looked at !!

Deansy
11-05-2018, 06:54 AM
My first thought when Lewis slipped-up on Wednesday was - "Aw no Lewis -WTF were you thinking ??" - followed by - "Aw christ, certain Hibees though, will be ecstatic and pounding away on their keyboards right now !!" !

Ignore em, Lewis - a small handful of people won't realise just how good we've had it until you're gone !

Jones28
11-05-2018, 10:40 AM

It's been done to the death, and every Hibs manager with the exception of the one that got us relegated felt the Lewis Stevenson was worthy of a starting berth.

A double cup winner, the only player in our history to have held both the Scottish and League cups aloft at Hampden and you think he's where we need to start with a clear out? FFS man get a grip.

Diclonius
11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
https://i.imgur.com/k9Ifrwi.jpg https://i.imgur.com/BdS6uEo.jpg

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

pacoluna
11-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Why? We have Ambrose one of the contenders for player of the season imo.

GreenPJ
11-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Do you not think we have progressed as a club over the last 3 years with Lewis in the team. We were one goal away from still being in contention for 2nd spot in the SPFL - hate to say it but that is as best as we could hope for other than a Leicester type miracle.

pacoluna
11-05-2018, 11:27 AM
I've criticized Stevenson in the past but since the turn of the season he's been consistently a top performer, the best season i can recall him having.

Laced1875
11-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Lewis when playing alongside a back 3 is great. When playing as part of a back four, not so sure.

midfield_maestro
11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
John McGinn has had more p1sh games than Lewis Stevenson

whiskyhibby
11-05-2018, 01:52 PM
I smell a lot of roasted Yam on this thread.....

Last Minute
11-05-2018, 02:47 PM

you could be right. I love McGinn but how many times does he lose the ball in games and nobody says a word. every player can have bad games.

A Hi-Bee
11-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Naw we just need to sign another full back, along wi some more players. Then we go again next season and try for 2nd once more with Neil Lennon managing us.

Sergey
11-05-2018, 07:04 PM
100% - Replace

Jonnyboy
11-05-2018, 09:30 PM
OP clearly trolling, not bothered coming back to at least back up his argument. He’s now got the usual ones at each other.

Simple answer Stevenson has been outstanding this season. If we find a better left back who is as or more consistent I bet he’ll not come to us and will be at a better team.

Yep, it's no surprise that the anti-Lewis mob have come out of hiding. These are the same folk who had nothing to say when Lewis was turning in good performances week after week. At least one of them wouldn't know a decent player if that player kicked him in the arse

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2018, 09:39 PM

This is actually a fact, bizarre that Lewis gets stick. McGinn was poor Wednesday

truehibernian
11-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Yep, it's no surprise that the anti-Lewis mob have come out of hiding. These are the same folk who had nothing to say when Lewis was turning in good performances week after week. At least one of them wouldn't know a decent player if that player kicked him in the arse

JB, Lewy had a torrid time for around 15 minutes first half just prior to their opener, the goal, and minutes after when they tried to exploit the left side - Barker offered zero protection. But I tell you what, very very few players in a derby could dust themselves down, get the chest out and get back to playing. Not only did he win the penalty with his usual tenacity, he was constantly offering himself on the left flank and trying valiantly to drive the team forward. How many times did you see the wee man taking throws which he had won near to their corner flag ? His fitness levels second half were unbelievable.

I really do wonder what game fans watch and whether they watch back and look at Lewy's performances in fine detail. The man is one of the most talented footballers at the club and a heart of a lion. He may not be Roberto Carlos, but tell you what he is absolutely the first name on my team sheet every single game.

He's 'survived' and played under Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon, Stubbs and Lennon. Played nearly every position other than keeper..........

Yes every position needs competition but tell you what whoever comes in to try and get his jersey will have to be top drawer if they're to stand a chance.

Jonnyboy
11-05-2018, 09:47 PM
JB, Lewy had a torrid time for around 15 minutes first half just prior to their opener, the goal, and minutes after when they tried to exploit the left side - Barker offered zero protection. But I tell you what, very very few players in a derby could dust themselves down, get the chest out and get back to playing. Not only did he win the penalty with his usual tenacity, he was constantly offering himself on the left flank and trying valiantly to drive the team forward. How many times did you see the wee man taking throws which he had won near to their corner flag ? His fitness levels second half were unbelievable.

I really do wonder what game fans watch and whether they watch back and look at Lewy's performances in fine detail. The man is one of the most talented footballers at the club and a heart of a lion. He may not be Roberto Carlos, but tell you what he is absolutely the first name on my team sheet every single game.

He's 'survived' and played under Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon, Stubbs and Lennon. Played nearly every position other than keeper..........

Yes every position needs competition but tell you what whoever comes in to try and get his jersey will have to be top drawer if they're to stand a chance.

Agree with all of that :agree: I reckon some form their views without having actually seen games

lapsedhibee
12-05-2018, 05:43 AM
Played nearly every position other than keeper..........

Has he really, or is this maybe a bit of the LS hyperbowl that an earlier poster was complaining about? :dunno:

crash
12-05-2018, 07:29 AM
I happen to know a player who has played many games against Hibs and he told me that last season when they played the gameplan was when the Hibs keeper/central defenders had the ball was to tighten up on Gray and leave Stevenson unmarked thereby forcing Hibs to play to him as they didn't see him as a threat.

J-C
12-05-2018, 07:36 AM
This forum is crawling with Jambos and this thread is another example of it

Allant1981
12-05-2018, 07:43 AM
I happen to know a player who has played many games against Hibs and he told me that last season when they played the gameplan was when the Hibs keeper/central defenders had the ball was to tighten up on Gray and leave Stevenson unmarked thereby forcing Hibs to play to him as they didn't see him as a threat.

well that clearly didnt work as stevenson was excellent last season

dchibs
12-05-2018, 08:06 AM

Why not name this player and what was the scores against this team, Lewis in my opinion has always been a very dependable consistant never out injured hard in the tackle, good ball controil and passer and always gives 100 percent in all games, one bad game will not change my opinion of him.

weecounty hibby
12-05-2018, 08:12 AM
How did that work out for his team? Can you give the results of these games? Sounds like it was a tactical genius who was in charge of that team, we must have been pumped by them a number of times last year

Keith_M
12-05-2018, 08:14 AM
That's an unbelievable over-reaction.

#lewismuststay

dchibs
12-05-2018, 08:14 AM

Well said.

green day
12-05-2018, 08:15 AM

So, a championship player who is still in that league, presumably?

His team used a tactic multiple times versus a team that strolled his division?

He's either very, very stupid - or it's a lie.

BoomtownHibees
12-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Has he really, or is this maybe a bit of the LS hyperbowl that an earlier poster was complaining about? :dunno:

Left back
Right back
Centre half (as part of a back 3)
Centre mid
Left mid

That’s half of the available outfield positions so the other poster isn’t far off

SideBurns
12-05-2018, 08:45 AM
In my opinion Lewis is the second best left back in Scottish football at the moment. But not only that, he's a player that successive managers have gone to in an emergency to fill another role. Best example of this - the game at Ibrox where Daz & PH were out, and Lennon played him in a back 3 alongside Porteous & Efe. As usual, he let no-one down.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions but I find it difficult to believe anybody who has watched Hibs this season thinks our first choice left back is a problem. Just another over reaction to Wednesday. You'd think it was the first time we'd ever lost at Tynie.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2018, 12:39 PM
I'd have replaced him a few years ago, but he won me over with his solid play and great defending. He was crap on Wednesday, and played his part in both goals, but i love him.

By all means bring in someone better, but that could be said for every player.

lapsedhibee
12-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Left back
Right back
Centre half (as part of a back 3)
Centre mid
Left mid

That’s half of the available outfield positions so the other poster isn’t far off

In a language where "half" means roughly the same as "nearly all", I'd agree with you. But in English, nah. :wink:

wookie70
12-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Possibly the last position in the team that needs replaced. Consistent, dependable, durable and and all round double trophy winning legend. He is probably relatively cheap too. Yes he was poor on Wednesday but did he hide, no he busted a gut and won his team a penalty by hard work and drive with a wee bit skilled thrown in. I'd look at right back way before looking to replace Lewis and I'm relatively happy with that of Sir David returns injury free.

Thecat23
12-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Possibly the last position in the team that needs replaced. Consistent, dependable, durable and and all round double trophy winning legend. He is probably relatively cheap too. Yes he was poor on Wednesday but did he hide, no he busted a gut and won his team a penalty by hard work and drive with a wee bit skilled thrown in. I'd look at right back way before looking to replace Lewis and I'm relatively happy with that of Sir David returns injury free.

Could not have put it better, great post 👍🏼

Hibbyradge
13-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Must be done.

Were you talking about the Scotland team?

madhatter
13-05-2018, 10:02 PM
We do need to sign a new LB unless Mackie is able and ready. What happens if Stevenson gets injured? Let’s not get into a debate on merits of Stevenson because ultimately we need another there. Look at the mess at RB this season, it could easily happen at LB next season...

Stantons Angel
13-05-2018, 10:06 PM
We do need to sign a new LB unless Mackie is able and ready. What happens if Stevenson gets injured? Let’s not get into a debate on merits of Stevenson because ultimately we need another there. Look at the mess at RB this season, it could easily happen at LB next season...

Im not debating either but he must be good enough to have just been called up with the Scotland squad for the friendly games!

Stantons Angel
13-05-2018, 10:07 PM

AND this is one of the traits that got him into the Scotland squad for the friendlies!

ElginHibbie
13-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Im not debating either but he must be good enough to have just been called up with the Scotland squad for the friendly games!

:agree:

We need cover and competition for every position, but a new LB to be put "Straight into the starting eleven"? Not a chance that's a priority

madhatter
13-05-2018, 10:12 PM

He is a reliable and solid performer but I hate having no competition or cover for positions. He went through a really bad patch earlier this season but we had no option but to play him. Even a rest would’ve done him good. Maybe Mackie is a good enough backup but we certainly shouldn’t risk the RB scenario this season again. Injuries shouldn’t cause a team to radically change their formation. Almost every injury caused us to change - Boyle and Gray as examples. Boyle injured, generally play a diamond. Gray injured, play a back three with Boyle wingback. Barker even...move to back 3 to use Stevenson as wingback as no wide left player.

Smartie
13-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Hanlon can play LB if required to.

The Leith Dutch
13-05-2018, 10:20 PM
In a language where "half" means roughly the same as "nearly all", I'd agree with you. But in English, nah. :wink:

Kind of depends on how indepth you go on positions.

Left / Centre / Right defence and Left / Centre midfield could be argued to cover all but 2 out field positions - striker and right midfield.
Probably best to stop this now or the Championship manager buffs will be on with their "Deep Lying Playmaker" stuff ;)

Stantons Angel
13-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Hanlon can play LB if required to.

Why are we resurrecting this post again?

poolman
14-05-2018, 01:40 AM

Not even close with that post

Dearie me

greenpaper55
14-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Folk on here need to look at the early goals we lost yesterday, Stevenson was sleeping for two of them and he gave the ball away that started the breakaway for another. It was his fault that we got beaten at Tyncastle when he never reacted at the first goal, an honest pro but there has to be better than that.

wookie70
14-05-2018, 06:48 AM
He is a reliable and solid performer but I hate having no competition or cover for positions. He went through a really bad patch earlier this season but we had no option but to play him. Even a rest would’ve done him good. Maybe Mackie is a good enough backup but we certainly shouldn’t risk the RB scenario this season again. Injuries shouldn’t cause a team to radically change their formation. Almost every injury caused us to change - Boyle and Gray as examples. Boyle injured, generally play a diamond. Gray injured, play a back three with Boyle wingback. Barker even...move to back 3 to use Stevenson as wingback as no wide left player. It done us a favour this year as Lennon stumbled into that winning formation.

Oscar T Grouch
14-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Folk on here need to look at the early goals we lost yesterday, Stevenson was sleeping for two of them and he gave the ball away that started the breakaway for another. It was his fault that we got beaten at Tyncastle when he never reacted at the first goal, an honest pro but there has to be better than that.

3rd best Scottish LB atm, you’ve picked one bad game he’s had in a 38 game season, in which he’s been brilliant for the vast majority of it. Tell me another player in Scotland that has been as consistent as LS and it will more than likely be a Celtc player we could never afford.
I have said it before and I’ll say it again, we will not appreciate Lewis Stevenson until we don’t have Lewis Stevenson playing for us any more.

calumhibee1
14-05-2018, 07:16 AM
Is he better than Considine at Aberdeen? Yes. Declan John at Rangers? Yes. Mitchell at Hearts? Yes. Greg Taylor at Killie? Yes.

He’s the second best left back in Scotland right now. If folk think we’re going to somehow significantly upgrade on him then we’ll be in for a treat.

Kaiser1962
14-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Poor planning considering Lewis started 43 times for Hibs season just ended and Sir David a mere 11, with a mere 6 league starts plus one sub appearance (at 89mins) in the 3-2 win at The Rangers. His 11 starts yielded 6 wins, 3 draws and two losses. The losses were to Celtic in the LC semi and at home to St. Johnstone in his last start when he was subbed at 65 mins with the score 0-0. 10 of his 11 starts were as Captain.

For Lewis look at the league table, he started all but thee games (all draws) and started every game bar those.

Diclonius
14-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Aye, let's replace an international left back.

bigwheel
14-05-2018, 08:13 AM

And how did that work out for them ?

Aldo
14-05-2018, 09:04 AM

First 2 I will give you but it was Hanlon that gave away the ball playing a blind pass into the middle of the part for the breakaway.