PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jack Ross

Stevie Reid
10-05-2018, 01:41 PM
In talks with Ipswich:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44068095

lord bunberry
10-05-2018, 01:46 PM
St Mirren fans will be gutted if he goes. I’d like him to have stayed and given them a season in the top league.

Stevie Reid
10-05-2018, 01:48 PM
St Mirren fans will be gutted if he goes. I’d like him to have stayed and given them a season in the top league.

Yeah would have been keen to see how he did.

You never know, he turned down Barnsley before - though Ipswich have much more potential. Be surprised if he stays - his stock may never be higher than it is now.

Scorrie
10-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Wouldn’t have minded him at Hibs if Lennon is considering leaving following his comments last night

Stranraer
10-05-2018, 03:09 PM
A really good manager but he took a while to get going at St. Mirren and I'm not sure he'd get as much time down south like Stubbs at Rotherham.

Stevie Reid
10-05-2018, 03:29 PM
A really good manager but he took a while to get going at St. Mirren and I'm not sure he'd get as much time down south like Stubbs at Rotherham.

True. Could be another Alex Neil though, his managerial record is excellent.

ancient hibee
10-05-2018, 03:41 PM
St Mirren will go back down anyway.

Stranraer
10-05-2018, 04:43 PM
St Mirren will go back down anyway.

Nah I think they'll stay up and Hamilton will go down.

Stevie Reid
23-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Going to Sunderland now, apparently - very brave move, if true:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44226120

Sammy7nil
23-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Nah I think they'll stay up and Hamilton will go down.

Add Livvy in there too, it will be a good battle better than at the top of the league, :greengrin

Renfrew_Hibby
23-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Would be some move for him, no pressure then!
Basket case of a club, but what a club and with new ownership who knows what's possible.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2018, 11:40 AM

Been hawking himself about since the season ended

Michael
23-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Sunderland? What's he thinking? They should easily win league 1 though to be fair.

I'm sure he'll easily get another job back up here if it doesn't work.

Gus
23-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Good move for both sides imo. They get their recruitment right then it's a good level for Ross to start at. A big club, not overly too far from any family or support network up here.

Stewart has done well with Eastleigh b

WeeRussell
23-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Sunderland? What's he thinking? They should easily win league 1 though to be fair.

I'm sure he'll easily get another job back up here if it doesn't work.

Think you've maybe answered your own question with the second half of your post. I don't like Sunderland but he maybe sees it as a chance to steer one of England's bigger clubs back on an upward curve and doing himself no harm at the same time. 2 leagues in 2 seasons with 2 different clubs would be a decent achievement too.

Still though f*** the Mackems :greengrin

Not In The Know
23-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Very interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes for Mcginn and Dylan...

Lago
23-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Been hawking himself about since the season ended
In what way?

jacomo
23-05-2018, 12:21 PM

New owners, lower standard of opposition in League 1.

If you are going to turn Sunderland around, it’s a good time to do it.

Also, Ross knows the Scottish game well, and there are lots of players here who could do well in League 1 and be affordable for Sunderland.

I feel for St Mirren fans though - a real kick in the teeth after promotion!

Smartie
23-05-2018, 12:28 PM
I actually thought the Sunderland job was ideal for Neil Lennon so I'd be delighted to see Jack Ross get it.

It's potentially a great job but it all depends on what the new owners are like. The club has been riddled with problems for years and they won't be wiped out overnight. They need to do what we did when we were relegated - a total clear out and start from scratch but they are still going to have some terrible players on big money stinking the place out for a while yet.

xyz23jc
23-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Hope he has deep pockets then! :wink:

Diclonius
23-05-2018, 12:29 PM
I would be very worried if I were a St Mirren fan right now.

Smartie
23-05-2018, 12:41 PM
I would be very worried if I were a St Mirren fan right now.

I don't think they need to be worried exactly.

They had reason to be very worried when they were in the position they were in when Ross took over.

They'd have settled for being managerless but back in the Premier League in summer 2018 when they were bottom of the Championship 18 months ago.

adhibs
23-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Luckily there far too good for that league.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-05-2018, 01:21 PM
I actually thought the Sunderland job was ideal for Neil Lennon so I'd be delighted to see Jack Ross get it.

It's potentially a great job but it all depends on what the new owners are like. The club has been riddled with problems for years and they won't be wiped out overnight. They need to do what we did when we were relegated - a total clear out and start from scratch but they are still going to have some terrible players on big money stinking the place out for a while yet.

After his experience at Bolton, I don't think Lennon would have wanted a move to another massive basket case

Stranraer
23-05-2018, 01:57 PM
I wish Ross all the best but as previously mentioned most managers could probably win the league with Sunderland.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2018, 01:58 PM
In what way?

Seems to have shown no loyalty to St Mirren. Spoke to Barnsley, Ipswich and now Sunderland it seems

Stevie Reid
23-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Seems to have shown no loyalty to St Mirren. Spoke to Barnsley, Ipswich and now Sunderland it seems

To be fair Billy, it's all been with St. Mirren's permission. He's also previously turned down Barnsley.

Zazu62
23-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Jim Goodwin will get that gig, done very well with Alloa

Smartie
23-05-2018, 02:24 PM
After his experience at Bolton, I don't think Lennon would have wanted a move to another massive basket case

They're not the basket case they were 3-4 weeks ago.

Or maybe they are - depends on the new owners.

bingo70
23-05-2018, 02:30 PM
They're not the basket case they were 3-4 weeks ago.

Or maybe they are - depends on the new owners.

There is a few vacancies in the English leagues that I think would probably be a decent fit for Lennon, I do worry a bit about Ipswich, Derby or Barnsley coming knocking but he did say he’d 100% be our manager at the start of next season so hopefully if they do come in he tells them to bolt.

guthrie01
23-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Stubbs for St.Mirren 👀

Stevie Reid
23-05-2018, 03:15 PM

To be fair Billy, it's all been with St. Mirren's permission. He's also previously turned down Barnsley.

Actually, this now sounds a bit dodgy from Saints' point of view:

However, St Mirren chairman Gordon Scott has said there has "been no contact from Sunderland".
He said: "Jack is on holiday. So unless there is some major skullduggery going on then it's nonsense.
"To hold talks with Jack, we would have to grant permission, but we've had no contact from Sunderland at all."
Ross would succeed Chris Coleman, who left Sunderland in April after they were relegated from the Championship.

JimBHibees
23-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Actually, this now sounds a bit dodgy from Saints' point of view:

However, St Mirren chairman Gordon Scott has said there has "been no contact from Sunderland".
He said: "Jack is on holiday. So unless there is some major skullduggery going on then it's nonsense.
"To hold talks with Jack, we would have to grant permission, but we've had no contact from Sunderland at all."
Ross would succeed Chris Coleman, who left Sunderland in April after they were relegated from the Championship.

Agree if true that sounds poor from both Sunderland and Ross.

Stevie Reid
23-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Seems especially strange given that Saints have already given permission to both Barnsley and Ipswich to speak to him, Jim.

JimBHibees
23-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Seems especially strange given that Saints have already given permission to both Barnsley and Ipswich to speak to him, Jim.

Assume both they teams contacted Saints and got permission. Maybe Sky and Sunderland jumping the gun a bit and Saints not happy.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Seemingly given permission now. As I said earlier on this thread, wouldn’t be happy with Ross if I was a St Mirren firm, obviously wants to leave, as he’s talking to all these clubs

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/club-news/1890-club-statement-3

bingo70
23-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Seemingly given permission now. As I said earlier on this thread, wouldn’t be happy with Ross if I was a St Mirren firm, obviously wants to leave, as he’s talking to all these clubs

At the end of the day if you had a bag of sweeties and someone else was offering you another bag of sweeties, you’d want to see what sweeties they were offering wouldn’t you?

He should have just said that.........

(Or something to that effect)

Is It On....
23-05-2018, 06:36 PM

He did have the brains to leave the 'tutorship" of Hoofball Levein a few years ago so hope he does well..

G B Young
23-05-2018, 06:45 PM

McInnes is still at Aberdeen having turned down the Sunderland job last year, as well as rejecting The Rangers. I suspect, though, that with new owners in place and starting at League One level, Jack will be keen on the Sunderland job. Massive potential for anyone who can bring back a feelgood factor and a team which wins most weeks.

Eyrie
23-05-2018, 08:09 PM

Looked at from Ross' point of view, it's the right time to move. He'll be regarded as a promising young manager who has just got St Mirren promoted. Give it a year and he could face regular criticism for poor performances or even have been sacked if they get relegated.

angus hibby
23-05-2018, 08:35 PM
The new Sunderland owner was on talksport this morning on Jim White’s show. He said they were pretty much at stage of announcing their new manager and Jim and other presenters were having a guess as to who it was, hoping the owner was going to tell them. Michael Gray guessed Lennon!! Thankfully the owner said straightaway it wasn’t him!

Robbie Neilson for St Mirren job maybe?

Clerie Green
23-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Honestly!
Who gives a .... ?
:thumbsup:

Mr White
23-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Honestly!
Who gives a .... ?

Quite a few people by the look of it... which isn't surprising really on a message board such as this. What is quite unusual is somebody regularly going out of their way to post "who cares" and "who gives a ...." on various threads like you do. Give it a rest please.

Mantis Toboggan
23-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Honestly!
Who gives a .... ?

You keep posting this on non hibs threads. Why don't you just ignore them instead?

Sir David Gray
23-05-2018, 08:52 PM
He must be mental to take the Sunderland job.

Stay with St Mirren next season and see how he does in the Premiership. If he does well then he'll get a better offer than them.

They're a basket case of a club right now.

Mantis Toboggan
23-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Stay with St Mirren next season and see how he does in the Premiership. If he does well then he'll get a better offer than them.

New ownership a factor though. Got to be one of the favourites for promotion which is good for the cv.

Danderhall Hibs
23-05-2018, 08:58 PM

He’ll be thinking about jumping while his stock’s high - Alan Archibald is an example of how quickly things can turn.

Sir David Gray
23-05-2018, 09:13 PM
New ownership a factor though. Got to be one of the favourites for promotion which is good for the cv.

I know they're under new ownership now but that doesn't come with any guarantees of success. From looking at it from the outside, they appear to need a complete overhaul of the playing side of the club. That doesn't come cheaply. They will also demand instant promotion back to the Championship next season. That's a huge demand on the new manager's plate.

He’ll be thinking about jumping while his stock’s high - Alan Archibald is an example of how quickly things can turn.

Or Chris Coleman for that matter? :greengrin

I see what you're saying but it could easily go the other way if you don't do your homework and go to the right club.

Tornadoes70
23-05-2018, 09:14 PM

The very fact they're seriously considering a rookie manager like Ross who's barely cut his teeth yet of significant managerial levels exhibits a severe downgrading from a club that should be attracting serious candidates for the role and appears desperate bargain basement recruitment.

Ross would be well advised to stay well clear, however, the salary will probably offer up much more than St Mirren could afford to pay which could sway him to sign on at the Stadium of Light.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Lago
23-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Spot on.

Stevie Reid
23-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Yep. Marco Silva was another example last season.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Yep. And even if it doesn’t work out in a football sense, he’ll probably be set up for the rest of his life with the contract he gets. And be able to come back up the road and get a reasonable job.

Danderhall Hibs
23-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Yep. And even if it doesn’t work out in a football sense, he’ll probably be set up for the rest of his life with the contract he gets. And be able to come back up the road and get a reasonable job.

:agree: he’ll be able to come back and get a job a level up from where he currently is. He can’t lose on this one - minted over night and a reputation big enough to comfortably slot in at Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc.

Thecat23
23-05-2018, 11:05 PM

Never got the Archibald hype. I don’t think others believed in it either or he’d have been offered a few jobs. He’s a pretty poor manager imo always has been.

Craig_HFC
23-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Never got the Archibald hype. I don’t think others believed in it either or he’d have been offered a few jobs. He’s a pretty poor manager imo always has been.

Pretty sure he turned down the Oxford Utd job at one point?

snooky
23-05-2018, 11:26 PM

Almost every manager will be sacked or 'moved upstairs' if they stay at a club long enough.
Better to get sacked with a monster pay-off than sacked with a pittance.

If Jack Ross succeeds at Sunderland (and let's face it, there's a lot going for him in terms of the opposition he'll have to play against) he'll be duly praised. If he fails, there are better managers before him have tried and ended up with the same result so he can claim it's Sunderland's fault, not his.

PatHead
24-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Sky Sports reporting he will earn £350,000 which is 5 times his St Mirren wage. Another good decision by Harry Potter to get rid. Wonder what he could have done at Hearts.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Sunderland are probably at the very lowest they can be, and with what appears a new owner who's got a bit of money, and a support that will come out with a winning team on the park.

I dont think this is as much a gamble for Ross as some folk think.

He obviously will back himself, he will believe in how good he is, and must see this as a real chance to take a lumbering giant back up at least to the Championship, and maybe even better if he gets the funds.

He has a good name in Scotland, and if he fails will still get work in his home country.

He has to take this job, he'd not normally get a job this big, but because of the situation Sunderland find themselves in, he's just become the right man at the right time for them.

I wish him well.

WeeRussell
24-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Sunderland are probably at the very lowest they can be, and with what appears a new owner who's got a bit of money, and a support that will come out with a winning team on the park.

He obviously will back himself, he will believe in how good he is, and must see this as a real chance to take a lumbering giant back up at least to the Championship, and maybe even better if he gets the funds.

He has a good name in Scotland, and if he fails will still get work in his home country.

He has to take this job, he'd not normally get a job this big, but because of the situation Sunderland find themselves in, he's just become the right man at the right time for them.

I wish him well.

I agree... although can't wish him that well if he takes the Sunderland job :wink:

Is It On....
24-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Sky Sports reporting he will earn £350,000 which is 5 times his St Mirren wage. Another good decision by Harry Potter to get rid. Wonder what he could have done at Hearts.

Unless they are able to boot players out, I would have thought that £7k per week would make him one if the lowest paid football people at the club.

heretoday
24-05-2018, 12:37 PM
He's hot so he's cashing in. You can't blame him.

PatHead
24-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Unless they are able to boot players out, I would have thought that £7k per week would make him one if the lowest paid football people at the club.

Thought that myself but shows they intend to run the club properly. Suspect a massive bonus if they win the league.

Dashing Bob S
24-05-2018, 03:02 PM

I wish him well.

Exactly.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Now appointed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44238168

Incredible really - started his career managing Alloa, was relegated from the Championship with them (as you would expect) in 2016 - appointed St. Mirren manager in Oct 2016, looks like they're dropping like a stone and then they had that amazing renaissance. Wins the Championship the following season and now at Sunderland - all in two and a half years.

Sunderland were a Premiership club when St. Mirren appointed him. Good luck to him, be interesting to see how he does.

Billy Whizz
25-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Now appointed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44238168

Incredible really - started his career managing Alloa, was relegated from the Championship with them (as you would expect) in 2016 - appointed St. Mirren manager in Oct 2016, looks like they're dropping like a stone and then they had that amazing renaissance. Wins the Championship the following season and now at Sunderland - all in two and a half years.

Sunderland were a Premiership club when St. Mirren appointed him. Good luck to him, be interesting to see how he does.

He was caretaker manager at Dumbarton, didn’t get the job at the time, as Ian murray was appointed, although I believe he stayed on as Ian’s assistant

Stevie Reid
25-05-2018, 01:49 PM
He was caretaker manager at Dumbarton, didn’t get the job at the time, as Ian murray was appointed, although I believe he stayed on as Ian’s assistant

I didn't realise that Billy, i had thought that Ian brought him in - he was definitely IM's assistant though.

Billy Whizz
25-05-2018, 02:04 PM
I didn't realise that Billy, i had thought that Ian brought him in - he was definitely IM's assistant though.

I think he was a coach at Dumbarton when the manager was sacked. He was put in charge until the new manager came in, Ian Murray, then he became Ian’s assistant

Stevie Reid
25-05-2018, 03:11 PM
I think he was a coach at Dumbarton when the manager was sacked. He was put in charge until the new manager came in, Ian Murray, then he became Ian’s assistant

:aok:

heretoday
25-05-2018, 03:40 PM
:agree: he’ll be able to come back and get a job a level up from where he currently is. He can’t lose on this one - minted over night and a reputation big enough to comfortably slot in at Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc.

It's true. if he stayed and St Mirren finished in the loweer half of the league, which they probably would do, he'd be lucky to get a job at .....er.....Rotherham.