PDA

View Full Version : Question Where do we go from here?

familyman
10-05-2018, 07:23 AM
Firstly Neil Lennon has done a great job getting us to where we are.he has shown he has a real winners mentality and wants always to be at the top of his game .
He may move on hopefully not yet but bruised only for now.
The players Hanlon and Stevenson for example were around when we were relegated but still there....I think this team needs major refreshing in several places and we are at that crossroads again.We can either pay attention to the real possibility of larger grounds and ground expansion and bigger things or as we did in not signing Lee Griffiths when we could and should have take another back seat and play safe by being too prudent .Neil I would think wants us to move onwards and upwards and not mark time..so better quality at a price will be repaid and if we are serious again to get back to those heady days it is the only way..I know we cannot get into huge debt but our mind set must be a positive one and if we remove the belief of second best and reinvest monies from sale of John McGinn if he goes as I feel he will then we can perhaps move our club and its ever increasing support onto a new level..The board took a brave step in appointing Neil Lennon and have demonstrated a far more ambitious attitude than previously demonstrated so we need another chapter of ambition .
Be brave.
As part of that and a small part it maybe we will see Porteous and Shaw start on Sunday as we will need a blend of talented youth and quality professionals.

We need to show some grit to end what we must recognise is only our first season back with the big boys.

As a footnote looking ahead in a positive light maybe best served by looking at the way we tossed away a few games this year..work on those errors and learn but quickly.

Having a goalkeeper that stops kicking the ball into touch :wink: would help .Giving the ball away for no reason at all is another feature we need to eliminate.
Come on Hibs 100% every time.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Good post, nothing to disagree with here.

For me it's simple. Talk with Neil today, find out what he needs to push on from 4th. He wants to do better, so do we. This should be a Hibs that doesn't regard 4th as a win.

Easy to say sort out who's going quickly but the first thing I'd do is make sure we keep Kamberi and Allan then rebuild from there.
Firstly Neil Lennon has done a great job getting us to where we are.he has shown he has a real winners mentality and wants always to be at the top of his game .
He may move on hopefully not yet but bruised only for now.
The players Hanlon and Stevenson for example were around when we were relegated but still there....I think this team needs major refreshing in several places and we are at that crossroads again.We can either pay attention to the real possibility of larger grounds and ground expansion and bigger things or as we did in not signing Lee Griffiths when we could and should have take another back seat and play safe by being too prudent .Neil I would think wants us to move onwards and upwards and not mark time..so better quality at a price will be repaid and if we are serious again to get back to those heady days it is the only way..I know we cannot get into huge debt but our mind set must be a positive one and if we remove the belief of second best and reinvest monies from sale of John McGinn if he goes as I feel he will then we can perhaps move our club and its ever increasing support onto a new level..The board took a brave step in appointing Neil Lennon and have demonstrated a far more ambitious attitude than previously demonstrated so we need another chapter of ambition .
Be brave.
As part of that and a small part it maybe we will see Porteous and Shaw start on Sunday as we will need a blend of talented youth and quality professionals.

We need to show some grit to end what we must recognise is only our first season back with the big boys.

As a footnote looking ahead in a positive light maybe best served by looking at the way we tossed away a few games this year..work on those errors and learn but quickly.

Having a goalkeeper that stops kicking the ball into touch :wink: would help .Giving the ball away for no reason at all is another feature we need to eliminate.
Come on Hibs 100% every time.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
10-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Its an interesting question. On the face of it this is going to be our most uncertain close season since relegation. We have mostly managed to maintain a settled team, especially our defence and midfield, but that period is coming to an end. If everybody who is a possible departure from the club does go we have one hell of a rebuilding job on our hands. If Neil Lennon turns out to be one of them we are practically back at square one. The worst case scenario is we lose:

Neil Lennon
Dylan McGeouch
John McGinn
Brandon Barker
Scott Allan
Florian Kamberi
Jamie McLaren

That is some rebuilding job for any club, made all the worse because we aren't in the position of making a rubbish team better, we are in the position of losing half a good team and having to find a way to replace them with the same or better quality... that's not a great position to be in for any club and especially one like Hibs who cant just go out and buy proven players.

If there is a positive to be had from our season finishing the way it seemingly has its that there's plenty of scope for improvement, 4th still leaves 2 places above that to aim for next season ( 3 if you believe in miracles ) and we only made a League cup semi this year ... making a Scottish cup semi would be an improvement on that and making either cup final an improvement on both.

We will be playing in front of decent crowds next season and that allied to our very good training facilities and the city itself means we will have at least some chance of attracting decent players .... The trick will be to get the right players and marry them up with those we have left and hopefully the promising youngsters we have on the books like Ryan Porteous, Fraser Murray, Scott Martin ( who has done very well at Arbroath ) and Oli Shaw.

That will be difficult to manage in time for our first European tie ( should we qualify ) but hopefully we can do it in time for the start of the league season. Manage it and the future is still bright, screw it up and we could be in for a poorer season than this one.

Over to you Leeann ... Mr Lennon's 'thinking about my position' bombshell last night was probably the last thing you wanted to hear.

coldingham hibs
10-05-2018, 05:46 PM
We are in the same boat as most teams, Hearts & Rangers will have even bigger challenges as will a number of clubs further down the league.

Hopefully if McGinn leaves (I hope he doesn’t) we will have some funds to potentially sign better quality players than most teams. We may also have the lure of European football.

It’s the start of a new chapter and we have a real feel good factor within the club and support.

It’s a shame Neil has had an outburst as I think we have been brilliant this season. Losing a tight game to Hearts is not a crime and certainly doesn’t make the season a failure.

Hopefully a stirring performance on Sunday will get us all back on a high.

GGTTH

Pagan Hibernia
10-05-2018, 06:27 PM
The future is as bright as it’s been at Hibs for decades. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to be a tough summer, we’ve already lost one member of a superb team and I expect to lose at least one more. The future of the loanees is completely up in the air.

but we will hopefully have a bit of money to spend. Crowds are ridiculously high at the moment. With a beautiful stadium and excellent training facilities Hibs are an attractive prospect for any player coming in. HSL is growing. We have an abundance, if not embarrassment, of talent in our youth team.

Added to this is the fact that Rangers will struggle to match their supporters expectations with a novice in charge and hearts will continue to serve up the bog standard drudge they’ve been playing for the last couple of years. Make no mistake, apart from a 30 minute spell in the first half last night when they had us on the ropes (and we were very bad), they are nothing to be feared next season.

I simply refuse to believe that last night marks the beginning of the end of all the good things we’ve seen this season.

the club is in good hands. We’ll be alright.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-05-2018, 06:37 PM
We go onwards and upwards.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2018, 06:38 PM
To the transfer market or we’ll not have a team for next year!

where'stheslope
10-05-2018, 07:14 PM
I have said it on other threads, after the season we are having, other teams will be looking at our better players for their teams, and yes you may get good money, but the players you try and bring in will want better money, as they know you have it!!
Most teams who have a really good season, always seem to fall away a bit in the next season, especially with the Old Firm vying for the top 2 positions.
It will be hard to replace the likes of McGinn and others who may follow out the door, as playing good money does not always prove the best answer, plus they have to be ready very early for Europe next season( just can't see Motherwell beating Celtic)!
We should be proud of what we have achieved this season, and hope to carry it on into next season!!!!!!

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-05-2018, 07:31 PM
All teams excluding Celtic will have a major rebuild on their hands this summer.

Lennon proved in January he can sign the right players so I'd be fully confident in him to get us the right players in. Will be be able to keep Kamberi, Allan and MaClaren? Who knows

If we lose mcginn and Dylan as expected we've still got a good mixture of youth and experience in defence and midfield. It's going forward the keys area for recruitment. I'd love us to get the 3 mentioned above back and it's certainly not out with the realms of possibility.

For me Slivka has a lot to offer next season and we'll still have Marv, young Martin returning along with whitty who has done alright

We've all heard about the structure in place at the club now. I've no doubt whatsoever that we've lined up players we believe fit the mould of our style.

Onwards and upwards and as another poster said, there's 2 positions above us to chase down along with cup finals. Bring it on

Mixu62
10-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Honest question as I haven't seen them play much, does McLaren bring anything to the team that Shaw can't? Shaw is now 1 year older, stronger and hungrier. He's had a taste of 1st team action and likes it. Not a criticism of McLaren, but if we can't get him to stay, we have one of our own waiting in the wings.

Plus Murray to return from loan.

Forza Fred
10-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Honest question as I haven't seen them play much, does McLaren bring anything to the team that Shaw can't? Shaw is now 1 year older, stronger and hungrier. He's had a taste of 1st team action and likes it. Not a criticism of McLaren, but if we can't get him to stay, we have one of our own waiting in the wings.

Plus Murray to return from loan.

Be careful...if you offer an honest opinion you may be hunted down with pitchforks!

In my opinion, Jamie is a good ‘support’ striker whose activity off the ball makes a bit of space for a ‘main’ striker.

He has very little aerial ability and is not suited to playing in a formation that requires a ‘target man’ to play up front on his own, hold the ball up, and bring players into the game.

On the plus side his runs into the box make sure that defenders are dragged all over the place and he chips in now and then with goals.

I’d certainly like to keep him in the squad, but I think the debate is academic as when he left Oz, it was reported that he was going to be the top earner at Darmstadt, and indeed one of the highest earners in Bundesliga 2

No doubt there may have been a little bit of hyperbole about his wages, but sufficient to say he has a contract that I would suggest Hibs would be very unlikely to match, and he has no need to hurry in making a decision that may see him drop a few thousand a week in wages.

Deansy
11-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Onwards and upwards !

On a positive note, at least Wednesday's result will see Levein keep his job for at least another season !!