PDA

View Full Version : On reflection and moving forward

Pretty Boy
10-05-2018, 06:30 AM
Firstly last night was very disappointing, not just the defeat but the performance and the aftermath. Two of our worst performances of the season have come there and it seems there is still some issue with going across the city and performing; guys like McGinn, Hanlon, Stevenson and Allan are all far, far better players than they showed last night.

I'm unsure what to make of Neil Lennons post match comments. There's no doubt a lot of things said in the heat of the moment are regretted so hopefully we get some clarity in the coming days. It's not unheard of for managers to say or do somsthing controversial to focus the spotlight on them and away from their players. On the other hand if Lennon has thrown players who have been great this seaaon and a board that has, on the face of it, backed him under a bus then that's really poor. My take is that deep down he knows he got it wrong last night. He abandoned a system that has worked for months and it backfired. Of course manaagement in hindsight is easy but I really can't work out what he was trying to do. You know what your are getting wirh NL and these kind of emotional outbursts are going to be par for the course.

On the whole it has been a good season. If you had offered us a 4th place finish at the start, or even at Christmas, most of us would have taken it. I know we can technically still finish 3rd but realistically 4th it is. I think when the dust settles most people will accept it's been a good return to the top flight. A quick look at the league and form tables tell a story, 12 draws and that poor run of form that culminated in the cup defeat to Hearts are what left us the mountain to climb. There were a fair few mitigating circumstances around that time and NL dealt with them swiftly; our form since thr January window has been superb and as good as I have seen from Hibs, both performance and results, in a long time.

Finally I think we have a huge sunmer ahead. We are at a crossroads now. McGeough is leaving, McGinn will likely do likewise, our contracted forwards are Oli Shaw and Simon Murray, Allans future is uncertain, McGregor will be 33 and has had a serious knee injury, Whittaker is 34 next season, Gray is 30 and is coming back from a bad injury, Barker will go back to Man City....I've said before we are approaching a rebuild rather than making a few tweaks. It's a cliche but next season is huge for Hibs. We have to keep driving forward to keep the feel good factor and all that goes with that rolling on; increased engagement with HSL, record ST sales and so on. The fans and club have both done their bit the last few years and we must continue to do so. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to suggest Rangers and Hearts will be better next year so we'll have to be better as well if we want to be in that 2nd, 3rd, 4th mix. It's a big challenge but also an opportunity. We have the right people in Leeann Demspster, George Craig, Graham Mathie and hopefully Neil Lennon.

It's time for the manager, players and fans to pick themselves up, beat Rangers on Sunday and get ready for the next ride on the rollercoaster that is Hibs.

murray26
10-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Very good post.. we have a huge summer in front of us it’s going to be very interesting to see if we’re going to revert back to the old Hibs or try and capitalise on the momentum we’ve built.. big test for the board IMO..

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
10-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Firstly last night was very disappointing, not just the defeat but the performance and the aftermath. Two of our worst performances of the season have come there and it seems there is still some issue with going across the city and performing; guys like McGinn, Hanlon, Stevenson and Allan are all far, far better players than they showed last night.

I'm unsure what to make of Neil Lennons post match comments. There's no doubt a lot of things said in the heat of the moment are regretted so hopefully we get some clarity in the coming days. It's not unheard of for managers to say or do somsthing controversial to focus the spotlight on them and away from their players. On the other hand if Lennon has thrown players who have been great this seaaon and a board that has, on the face of it, backed him under a bus then that's really poor. My take is that deep down he knows he got it wrong last night. He abandoned a system that has worked for months and it backfired. Of course manaagement in hindsight is easy but I really can't work out what he was trying to do. You know what your are getting wirh NL and these kind of emotional outbursts are going to be par for the course.

On the whole it has been a good season. If you had offered us a 4th place finish at the start, or even at Christmas, most of us would have taken it. I know we can technically still finish 3rd but realistically 4th it is. I think when the dust settles most people will accept it's been a good return to the top flight. A quick look at the league and form tables tell a story, 12 draws and that poor run of form that culminated in the cup defeat to Hearts are what left us the mountain to climb. There were a fair few mitigating circumstances around that time and NL dealt with them swiftly; our form since thr January window has been superb and as good as I have seen from Hibs, both performance and results, in a long time.

Finally I think we have a huge sunmer ahead. We are at a crossroads now. McGeough is leaving, McGinn will likely do likewise, our contracted forwards are Oli Shaw and Simon Murray, Allans future is uncertain, McGregor will be 33 and has had a serious knee injury, Whittaker is 34 next season, Gray is 30 and is coming back from a bad injury, Barker will go back to Man City....I've said before we are approaching a rebuild rather than making a few tweaks. It's a cliche but next season is huge for Hibs. We have to keep driving forward to keep the feel good factor and all that goes with that rolling on; increased engagement with HSL, record ST sales and so on. The fans and club have both done their bit the last few years and we must continue to do so. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to suggest Rangers and Hearts will be better next year so we'll have to be better as well if we want to be in that 2nd, 3rd, 4th mix. It's a big challenge but also an opportunity. We have the right people in Leeann Demspster, George Craig, Graham Mathie and hopefully Neil Lennon.

It's time for the manager, players and fans to pick themselves up, beat Rangers on Sunday and get ready for the next ride on the rollercoaster that is Hibs.

Couldnt agree more.

Far too many hibs fans wind themselves up before a derby with stupid talk about hammering them, then fall into a pit of despair when it doesnt happen.

We lost a close match away st one of our hardest away trips, it happens.

Baader
10-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Couldnt agree more.

Far too many hibs fans wind themselves up before a derby with stupid talk about hammering them, then fall into a pit of despair when it doesnt happen.

We lost a close match away st one of our hardest away trips, it happens.

Yep. Some perspective. Seen us lose there, seen us win. Both will happen again. Frustrating night but we can't lose sight of the fact it has been a fantastic season. Big few months ahead but if Lennon is around we will be alright.

ian cruise
10-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Agree, if some of the comments on here were made on Kickback we'd be buckled. Been a great season and 4th is a more than respectable finish. Yes we could have been going in to Sunday fighting for second but Hearts have managed to take points off almost every team at Tynecastle, so I'm not sure why last night was such a shock to some?

Yes we wanted to win, it wasn't our night last night. Some bad decisions and some poor performances won't change my opinion that its been a good season and the team will be getting a round of applause from me on Sunday and my full backing, regardless of the result.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Big summer ahead. The recruitment will need to be better than it was last year. Getting Kamberi and Allan on board early would be huge IMO.

Some of Lennon’s comments do concern me slightly in that regard. Saying he doesn’t know his budget yet would suggest we aren’t too far down the road of identifying or talking to players.

Everybody talks about the McGinns and McGeoughs leaving but I think there might be a number of others coming to the end of their time and in some cases needing replaced. The likes of David Gray isn’t going to come back and improve us. McGregor is getting on a bit. Whittaker is handy to have for filling in but not sure he’s a regular. Swanson hasn’t made any impact. Is there a place for the likes of Bartley if we continue with three at the back?

Point I’m making is that a chunk of the squad that’ll remain is the wrong side of 30 and I think it could be time to freshen things up. Porteous is a top prospect and next year we need to look to get him in the team IMO. If he doesn’t start playing he’ll stagnate.

Col2
10-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Fans can’t do anymore. Biggest crowds since 50s.

Down to the board. Ambition either with current board or new investors.

greenpaper55
10-05-2018, 07:16 AM
Season one after our stint in the lower league and we had a chance of second ! i honestly thought a top six finish was our maximum position this season but we have excelled ourselves. It's obvious that to progress we need to invest some cash in more quality and to replace players who will be out of contract, we have tried the skinflint route in the past and we all know the result of that so it's now over to the board to make us progress.

SON OF PADDY
10-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Excellent post!
Gutted about last night result,still it's been a great first season back in the premier league.

GlesgaeHibby
10-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Win on Sunday and it will likely finish with Dons 70, Huns 69, Hibs 69. There is nothing between the teams. Feeling 4th is disappointing given how tight it is between 2nd and 4th. Last night was disappointing, but the reality is that dropping points at home to Hamilton and St Johnstone cost us second and not last night as Tynecastle has always been a difficult place to go.

Interesting summer ahead, but with record ST numbers and some cash in the bank from selling McGinn we can start to build the team to push on next season.

Iain G
10-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Win on Sunday and it will likely finish with Dons 70, Huns 69, Hibs 69. There is nothing between the teams. Feeling 4th is disappointing given how tight it is between 2nd and 4th. Last night was disappointing, but the reality is that dropping points at home to Hamilton and St Johnstone cost us second and not last night as Tynecastle has always been a difficult place to go.

Interesting summer ahead, but with record ST numbers and some cash in the bank from selling McGinn we can start to build the team to push on next season.

There is a good chance to reshape the team and the squad this summer and the prospect of some additional revenue through the UEFA cup will help the budget.

Neil needs to be asking himself if he is up for the rebuild and am sure Rod and Leeann will back him as much as we can, it's another chance to move up another notch if we get it right :agree:

jacomo
10-05-2018, 07:48 AM

The supporters have been magnificent.

Why start pointing fingers at the board? They have done well in challenging circumstances. Our income is up and I’d expect further improvement next season.

jacomo
10-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Lenny has a nerve to talk about setting a level of professionalism and then mouthing off in his post-match comments.

He let his emotions get the better of him last night and let Hibs down.

However, it’s been a positive season overall and lots to build on. In Lenny we trust... but less of last night’s nonsense please.

Joe6-2
10-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Very good post.. we have a huge summer in front of us it’s going to be very interesting to see if we’re going to revert back to the old Hibs or try and capitalise on the momentum we’ve built.. big test for the board IMO..

If Lennon stays, there is no way we will revert to the old Hibs

truehibernian
10-05-2018, 08:08 AM
I’m not at all despondent - we lost a close game where at no time did football threaten to break out. It was a derby more akin to the drab 80’s ones. All in all we have had a great season which if one result goes our way we are in Europe. Also comfortably ahead of our city rivals, both getting two wins apiece and us not getting a potentially game winning goal at Christmas at Tynie.

There will be a rebuild but regardless of under whose management it’s from a real position of strength. Near record season ticket sales again, more prize money in the kitty, proceeds from SJM sale. The January window (and arguably summer) proved the club identified enough good talent, within budget, to have a really good, at times eye catching team.

Solid development coaching structure in place, young guys did the double, players like Shaw and Porteous have got important first team experience under their belt too.

Can’t remember a time this last decade we’ve been in such a strong, positive position to be honest.

Greenbeard
10-05-2018, 08:12 AM
With the number of key personnel changes potentially being up to six (McGeough, McGinn, Allan, Kamberi, McLaren, Barker could all be away) it is so important that NL stays to ensure continuity going forward, keep us playing the way we have been, which has been largely successful. Lose these players and the manager and I don't think we could be any more ambitious than hoping for top six next season.

Blaster
10-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Lenny has a nerve to talk about setting a level of professionalism and then mouthing off in his post-match comments.

He let his emotions get the better of him last night and let Hibs down.

However, it’s been a positive season overall and lots to build on. In Lenny we trust... but less of last night’s nonsense please.

That’s just something he does. Doesn’t make it right but I’ll live with it because it’s his only real flaw. I don’t think we’d get a better manager at our club.

JimBHibees
10-05-2018, 08:16 AM
I’m not at all despondent - we lost a close game where at no time did football threaten to break out. It was a derby more akin to the drab 80’s ones. All in all we have had a great season which if one result goes our way we are in Europe. Also comfortably ahead of our city rivals, both getting two wins apiece and us not getting a potentially game winning goal at Christmas at Tynie.

There will be a rebuild but regardless of under whose management it’s from a real position of strength. Near record season ticket sales again, more prize money in the kitty, proceeds from SJM sale. The January window (and arguably summer) proved the club identified enough good talent, within budget, to have a really good, at times eye catching team.

Solid development coaching structure in place, young guys did the double, players like Shaw and Porteous have got important first team experience under their belt too.

Can’t remember a time this last decade we’ve been in such a strong, positive position to be honest.

Very good post a bit of perspective required.

Northernhibee
10-05-2018, 08:21 AM

The club have been ambitious and the likes of Dempster and Craig have turned this club sustainably. Just now our club is in a safe pair of hands and is being steered well.

It would be daft to change that.

jacomo
10-05-2018, 08:23 AM
That’s just something he does. Doesn’t make it right but I’ll live with it because it’s his only real flaw. I don’t think we’d get a better manager at our club.

I think his tactics and approach were flawed last night. Sadly, a familiar performance from Hibs at Tynecastle last night. We never looked right from the off.

I want Lenny to stay but FFS did he not learn from the last derby at their place?

Captain Trips
10-05-2018, 08:29 AM
I am not letting last nights result dominate or define anything it shouldn't. There are pts dropped all over the place this season from better positions.

We were playing for something for 37 matches that is excellent we go into match 38 still with a big match and a nice little defeat of Sevco would be an excellent sign off.

It's easy to feel a bit disappointed and I am but I am looking at everything and this has been an outstanding season. Let's beat Sevco and end on high and I do not like to but will be hoping Celtic win the Cup. I hope Aberdeen now finish 2nd.

Well done everyone at the club. We now have a target for next season 3rd or better.

Blaster
10-05-2018, 08:34 AM
I think his tactics and approach were flawed last night. Sadly, a familiar performance from Hibs at Tynecastle last night. We never looked right from the off.

I want Lenny to stay but FFS did he not learn from the last derby at their place?

Managers will sometimes get the selection wrong and I agree I think he did last night. You could also argue that without 2 ridiculous defensive errors they barely looked like they would score. It’s done and we need to move on

JimBHibees
10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Was it really tactics two calamitous defensive errors cost us the game.

we are hibs
10-05-2018, 08:38 AM
The fact is last night the players had an opportunity and blew it. You can't fault them second half of the season because we have only lost 2 games this year but the daft dropped points away to killie, st.johnstone x2, Ross county has ended up costing us. 4th is okay considering it's our first season back but really where else would we have finished? Hearts had a season of transition, killie were poor until October. 4th is where we probably should be based on the players we have but it could have been so much better.

Northern Hibby
10-05-2018, 08:47 AM
we have a huge summer in front of us...

Just fed up seeing a post like this every year 😣

O'Rourke3
10-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Great post PB. There's a bawhair between 3 teams after 37 games and a 17 point gap back to our neighbours. Been fantastic following the team this season and I'd expect NL to be at the helm when pre season kicks off. Last night remided me a bit of the post match rant at Kirkcaldy. Biggest disappointment last night was yet agian getting drawn into playing their game and not ours.

rcarter1
10-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Crackin post, and hits the nail on the head - I think we saw the end of an era last night, and the summer will be hugely important (and hopefully exciting!)

Would be good to sign off with a win against Rangers, but Im also hoping Aberdeen can win their game now!!

6-0?

Pretty Boy
10-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Just fed up seeing a post like this every year 😣

It's the nature of the beast supporting a club like Hibs though. Good players and managers will move on, others won't work out and there will be a nucleus that are around for the long haul.

We have probably done better than most in how settled our squad has been for the last few years, when you operate at the end of the market we do almost every season is one of 'transition'.

Brizo
10-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Great post.

The best Hibs teams that I have seen have all without fail collapsed half way or two thirds of the way through the season. The fact that our form has been so consistent post January that we were in the race for second spot right up to the penultimate game of the seasons an incredible achievement. Its indicative of a mental toughness and concentration some really good previous teams and managers couldn't sustain. The fact that we will finish at least fourth in our first season back up is a real achievement as is the fact we have done it so comfortably. The last time we finished fourth we collapsed in the February and more or less stumbled into fourth spot.

Last night was disappointing and Lennons outburst didn't help but as PB said above this is what you get with Lennon , a complex character who is highly articulate but also has an over emotional short fuse. That's not going to change and neither are the occasional tactical mistakes , something which most if not all managers are prone to

I think its important to keep the disappointment of last nights performance and Lennons rant in perspective. I imagine we will see a more reflective and measured Lennon in the next couple of days and a very different Hibs performance on Sunday.

edinburghhibee
10-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Was on last night and logged off after reading the thread titles. After calming down, I had a wee think about it and came to the conclusion that at the beginning of the season, would I have taken finishing in the top 6 and another semi final at hampden? Yes

In January would I have taken hibs finishing 4th in the league??? Yes

Now with one game to play we are in 4th, the width of a bawhair off second, we’re 17 point clear of hearts. And we have a Celtic v Motherwell cup final with the chance of Europe. Not to mention we’ve had some fantastic football on offer at ER this season.

I’m disappointed we didn’t win last night but the boys have been fantastic this season, the managers good for this club and the board room staff are doing their best for our club. Let’s not let that result taint what has been a fantastic season for us.

Now get out there on the last day and hammer the rangers 6-0. GGTTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col2
10-05-2018, 10:01 AM
The supporters have been magnificent.

Why start pointing fingers at the board? They have done well in challenging circumstances. Our income is up and I’d expect further improvement next season.

Yet on the face of it Lennon is making noises that he is not clear on ambition of club and budget. Something isn’t right. He would rightly expect and increase in budget given income so he is either being unreasonable or we are not matching his ambition.

Stranraer
10-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Really good post from PB there, 4th place is a terrific finish for us. If we beat sevco on Sunday it will round off nicely a very good season.

jacomo
10-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Yet on the face of it Lennon is making noises that he is not clear on ambition of club and budget. Something isn’t right. He would rightly expect and increase in budget given income so he is either being unreasonable or we are not matching his ambition.

What does ‘matching his ambition’ mean?

There is currently one club in Scotland that can plan for winning the league.

Leeann has said that Hibs are planning to be at the sharp end, regularly qualifying for Europe, and in the latter stages of the cups.

As well as maintaining a full development / youth programme.

This is the platform - it’s up to the manager to make the most of it.

I just think Lenny looked raging from the off last night. Hopefully everyone has had a chance to reflect and we can write it off as a bad day.

truehibernian
10-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Ambition needs to be met with the financial reality we face. Lennon need only look at our city rivals, Motherwell, Dundee, Hamilton, The Rangers and his previous club Bolton to realise clubs need to operate and function with money they have, not what they ‘may get’ - his emotional outburst was unprofessional last night and to be frank, he looked angry and perturbed pre-match (behind the scenes) - I’m wondering if he’s maybe going through tough period personally (as he has admitted to openly in the past) - his interaction with the players wasn’t ‘right’ too.

Dan Sarf
10-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Ambition needs to be met with the financial reality we face. Lennon need only look at our city rivals, Motherwell, Dundee, Hamilton, The Rangers and his previous club Bolton to realise clubs need to operate and function with money they have, not what they ‘may get’ - his emotional outburst was unprofessional last night and to be frank, he looked angry and perturbed pre-match (behind the scenes) - I’m wondering if he’s maybe going through tough period personally (as he has admitted to openly in the past) - his interaction with the players wasn’t ‘right’ too.

I thought he didn't seem himself in the pre match interviews.

Levain was, on the other hand, very much his usual self.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM

I don’t think there is anything wrong with him not having anything definitive on next years budget yet as it might have been dictated by league place.

However, I found it a bit odd that he commented that he didn’t even know this years budget.

hibby6270
10-05-2018, 06:16 PM
On reflection?.......
The emotion we are feeling today is centred around the fact it was our local rivals who ultimately consigned us to having no chance of getting second place. I wonder if the post split fixtures had been in a different order and it was Killie who beat us last night, would we be as upset with the outcome? To an extent, yes, but nowhere near as much because it occurred against Hearts.

Moving forward?.......
Not something we as supporters can fully resolve but we can heavily influence by continuing with our fantastic backing of the club, manager and players. This starts immediately on Sunday. Show the board. Show the manager. Show the players that we still believe in them all. It might not persuade all those to stay who are end of contract or loan spells but it will sure as hell show them that we care and will continue to support them evermore. It might just change some minds.