PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 9 May 2018)

Jonnyboy
09-05-2018, 11:02 PM
I’m always disappointed when we lose a game but I’m a hundred fold disappointed when we lose to Hearts. That’s my mood dealt with, now to the actual game.

Heading in to Tynecastle I was surprised to hear that Hibs would be departing from their successful 3-5-2 line up and adopting more of a 4-4-1-1. I was baffled as to why Neil would move away from a set up that clearly suits the players and as it turned out, that change played, in my view, a significant part in us losing the game. Another significant point was that Hibs struggled throughout to deal with the physicality of the game and that shocked me as we’ve shown in the last few months that we would not be bullied. From the off, Hearts were very physical and we let that affect our football. Rather than getting the ball down and playing our passing game we were continuously caught in possession or failing to find a telling pass to a team mate.

Much was made ahead of the game that this would be Craig Thomson’s last Derby match and there were fears expressed on the messageboard that he’d do his best to scupper any chance Hibs had of making second spot in the final league table. Aside from the fact that he should have red carded Lafferty for the assault on Lewis and the fact that he allowed Adao free license to kick anyone and everyone in a green jersey but not get booked, I don’t think we can blame the referee as he was not the reason we lost this game.

Hibs had started the game well and were on top when Lafferty was yellow carded for a vicious and cynical foul on Lewis Stevenson after the ball had gone. Whether that rattled Hibs and Lewis in particular I don’t know but after spurious claims for a penalty when Naismith took a swan dive in the box were rightly waived away, Hibs soon found themselves a goal behind. Indecision in defence, with Lewis failing to clear allowed Lafferty to poke the ball past the stranded Marciano. The error by Lewis was uncharacteristic as his form has been excellent of late.

Rocking a little, Hibs nearly conceded a second when Cochrane waltzed through the middle of the Hibs defence but thankfully Rocky was alert to the situation and made what turned out to be his only real save of the night. Minutes later it was the Hearts keeper who was stung into action when he pushed away a strong driven effort from Barker. Up until the half time whistle and indeed for most of the first half the Hibs midfield was swamped and struggled to gain any foothold in the proceedings as Cochrane again came close to extending the Hearts lead but his shot was wayward. Just prior to the half ending, Boyler went down in a heap after trying to squeeze between two Hearts defenders and it must have been a sore one because the physio immediately signalled the winger was unable to continue, resulting in the mask wearing McGeouch joining the fray.

At half time we discussed how things would have to change if Hibs were to get anything from the game and just three minutes after the restart Adao fouled Stevenson for the umpteenth time only on this occasion it was inside the 18 yard box and Craig Thomson immediately pointed to the spot. There seemed to be a bit of debate as to who should take the kick but Flo Kamberi had no doubts as he coolly sent McLaughlin the wrong way.

For the next five minutes or so Hibs looked like they might actually be taking control of the game but as they piled forward, Paul Hanlon was caught the wrong side of Lafferty who needed no encouragement to go down under a challenge about twenty five yards from goal. From the resultant free kick, whipped into the area by Cochrane, Naismith lost his marker and guided a header beyond Marciano and into the corner of the net.

Ten minutes or so later, Jamie Maclaren appeared stripped for introduction to the game and I doubt I was the only one feeling surprised when the man he replaced was Paul Hanlon. The Hibs captain didn’t seem to have suffered an injury but the change meant Whittaker going to right back as Efe joined Daz in the middle. With Hearts wasting time at every opportunity, Neil tried to mix things up a bit by introducing Slivka who replaced Scott Allan. There was almost a quick reward for that change when Slivka drove forward towards the centre of the Hearts defence before laying a superb ball into the path of Barker but the speed merchant took a touch rather than hitting it first time and Hearts cleared the danger.

Try as they might in the closing stages, Hibs just couldn’t get level though they had two excellent chances to do so. The first came from a loose ball in the Hearts area which an off balance Maclaren slashed at, much to the frustration of Kamberi who was ideally placed to fire the ball home and the second came right at the death when big Daz, who’d been moved to centre forward in the hunt for a goal, completely missed the ball from six yards out when the goal was gaping.

I hate losing to Hearts and tonight was all the more painful because that defeat pretty much consigns us to a fourth place finish. Equally painful was the fact that the two most loathsome Hearts players got their goals.

The players

Rocky - The keeper had no chance with either goal and only really had one save to make all night, which he did very well. Given that the rest of the team played so poorly, Rocky might have been in with a shout for my man of the match award but he misses out because of something that annoys the life out of me. Pre match, Rocky pings the ball with unerring accuracy to the waiting Alan Combe but sadly on two of the later occasions tonight, Combe was in the Hibs dugout.

Efe – I can honestly say that in my opinion, Efe was the only player tonight that didn’t disappoint me. He defended very well and his use of the ball was good but sadly he was ploughing a lone furrow tonight. My man of the match.

Daz – I’m not sure whether it was Daz that lost Naismith for the second goal tonight but even if it wasn’t his game was well below the high standards he sets himself and he’ll no doubt have nightmares about missing that late chance to level the game.

Paul – I’ve been impressed all season long at how Paul has never allowed himself to be bullied but tonight he was tormented by Lafferty for the seventy odd minutes he had on the park.

Lewis – Recently, Lewis has been pretty much Mr Dependable but tonight I have absolutely no idea why he didn’t clear the ball and allowed Lafferty to steal in and score. He was distraught as could be easily seen from his reaction but he did redeem himself a little as it was his tenacity that resulted in him being fouled in the box for the penalty.

Boyler – Had to leave the field injured, late in the first half. On the odd occasions that the ball reached him he gave Mitchell a bit of a hard time but he seems to have lost his appetite for scoring goals and getting in positions to do that.

Whitty – Steven had a bit of an up and down match tonight, in a midfield that struggled from the off. Too often he was caught on his heels and didn’t win too many second balls but he was by no means alone in that regard.

Scotty – Flitted in and out of the game and I think it’s fair to say that he struggles when things get physical. Tonight he took a few sore ones but also kept away from the ball when another sore one seemed likely. Played some delightful passes but was pretty peripheral at times.

SJM – I was tempted to refer to John as just JM tonight because I felt he was totally anonymous and seemed to spend most of his time trying to outmuscle his opponents to show who was the strongest. I was very disappointed with his display if truth be told.

Brandon – At times he looked like he was terrifying the Hearts defence and at other times he looked like he was terrified of the Hearts defence. On a few occasions he had the chance to run at the aging Aaron Hughes but didn’t take them when surely his pace would have left the Hearts man for dead. His chance, set up by Slivka, had me tearing out what little hair I have left.

Flo – Worked very hard but needs to work harder at avoiding getting caught offside. I lost count of the number of times his lack of concentration in running the Hearts back line, had him being caught offside. Was confident in grabbing the ball for the penalty and struck it well to give us some hope of getting something from the game.

Dylan – With his mask in place he didn’t use it as a disguise but got involved as often as he could. Sadly, his promptings came to nothing as move after move either broke down or came to a halt with the assistant ref flagging for offside.

Jamie – Buzzed around but caught Kamberi’s offside bug and clearly either didn’t hear or didn’t see Kamberi when he slashed the ball wide when off balance.

Slivka – Did ok when he came on and his surging run to set up Barker deserved a better outcome than Brandon feeling the need to take a touch when the ball was there to be hit first time.

Neil – I didn’t hear his post-match interview but I’m hoping someone might have asked him why the tried and tested 3-5-2 was dumped tonight.

The fans – Made enough noise and got right behind the team as always.

Craig Thomson – He’s finishing at the end of the season and in fact tonight might have been his last match. If only he’d red carded Lafferty and booked Adao – I’d have given him ten out of ten.

On now to Sunday, when the Rangers come to town knowing we’d need to beat them by five clear goals to nick third place. It’s highly unlikely but I hope we finish what’s been a fantastic season by having a bloody good go at them.

Dunbar Hibee
09-05-2018, 11:06 PM
In regards to Craig Thomson - Maybe he wasn’t the reason we lost the game, but he had a massive hand in why we didn’t win it, IMO.

wookie70
09-05-2018, 11:13 PM
I agree with most of that but Efe made one huge mistake flicking the ball into the Heart throwers hand who immediately took a quick throw which led to their opener. I was nearly as mad at him as Daz was.

danhibees1875
09-05-2018, 11:36 PM
I think Rocky's save was a great McGregor block, and I thought it was a penalty for Naismith just before they scored. Otherwise I agree with yet another good game synopsis.

Not much to separate the players tonight really. No one doing well, or terribly.

Rocky - 6 not much to do
Ambrose - 7 good game, lucky not to concede a penalty though.
McGregor - 7 contrary to the OP, and others, thought he had a good game. Solid and dependable. MOTM due to little credible alternative.
Hanlon - 6 struggled v Lafferty
Stevenson - 5 lost his man twice and punished both times
Boyle - 6 shame about the injury, could have used his pace for the full game.
Mcginn - 6.5 hacked up and down by the whole hearts team and subsequently struggled to get anything going.
Allan - 6 some neat touches without finding a killer ball.
Barker - 6 great pace and dribbling, but end product is still zero.
Kamberi - 6.5 isolated first half but never gave up and took his goal well.
Whittaker - 6 wants too much time on the ball and shouldn't have started IMO.

Mcgeouch - 6 composed on the ball without providing anything noteworthy.
McLaren - 5 offside a lot and lacked his deadly touch when it mattered.
Slivka - 5 not much time, good run and pass for Barker.

NAE NOOKIE
10-05-2018, 02:15 AM
My TV view

Marciano ... 6 .... No chance with either goal, some of his kicking was poor, not just because some went into touch but because too many went into the middle where it was just meat and drink for the likes of Berra.

Ambrose .... 8 .... Practically the only player we had who was composed on the ball and he made some very good and timely tackles .. MOM

McGregor ... 6 .... I thought Daz was OK if not as dominant as he can be, but even if he is a defender I can never forgive a guy who actually plays football for a living for totally missing the ball, defender or not.

Hanlon ... 6 .... Not the force carrying the ball forward he has been in recent weeks and had a tough time against Laugherty, but I wouldn't say he didn't give as good as he got.

Stevenson .... 5 .... Sorry wee man but that loss of concentration was criminal and overall he didn't have the best of games, if it was anybody else I would say Laugherty's assault on him had an affect, but I have never in over 10 years watching him seen Lewis play poorly after being halved and by worse challenges than that one, he is if nothing else a tough little mother ... still one of my players of the season.

Allan ..... 6 ..... Flitted in and out of the game, once again shot when he should have been passing more than once, but I wouldn't say he didn't put in the effort.

McGinn ..... 5 ..... He is our most valuable asset and we continually talk him up as being one of the best midfield players in Scotland ... on his day he is ... but, and not for the first time in a derby, he was totally ineffective as an attacking force causing Hearts absolutely no issues whatsoever in the final third of the pitch ... absolutely no lack of effort, but none of it affected the game. If he is to progress to the top level he simply must have more impact in big matches.

Whittaker .... 5 .... I simply cant believe he was preferred over McGeouch ... more than once had to sprint ( if you could call it that ) to catch up with his own heavy touch and just had so little to contribute.

Boyle .... 6 ..... Looked like he could be a threat, but wasn't on long enough to prove it, did ok for the most part but I would agree with the OP that he seemed reluctant to trust his pace when one on one ... I've noticed that in a few of our recent games and I'm beginning to wonder if he was feeling that hamstring for a while before tonight.

Barker .... 6 ..... Our most dangerous looking player and made more than one decent chance out of nothing, but why oh why didn't he shoot first time after a super ball from Slivka put him through.

Kamberi .... 6 .... Far too isolated at times and needs to do a lot better at staying onside ... that's how to take a penalty though.

SUBS:

McLaren ... 4 .... Didn't do a lot and took a great chance off the toes of Kamberi, not blaming him though because I'm not convinced he even saw him coming.

Slivka .... 5 .... A great driving run with the ball which deserved better when it reached Barker, more of that and I would be a lot more inclined to think of him as one for next season.

McGeouch .... 5 .... He improved us just as he did at Pittodrie.

Neil Lennon .... A big sign saying 'If it aint broke don't fix it' should be pinned up in his managers room.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2018, 11:06 AM
I agree with most of that but Efe made one huge mistake flicking the ball into the Heart throwers hand who immediately took a quick throw which led to their opener. I was nearly as mad at him as Daz was.Agree. The excellent summary of the game and our performance pretty much reflects what I saw but in relation to Thomson it was the little things he let them away with that affects the game and hands them an advantage. Unpunished fouls let them break up play. That said I've not seen us so ineffective up front for a while.

Onwards and upwards from what is really just a narrow defeat against a lower lying team who seemed to regard beating one of the leagues high flying form sides as like winning a cup final.

We've had a good season. Back Neil and we'll progress.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
10-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Agree with all or most of JB’s points. Thought Efe was the one trying to play football most of the time. Hate to criticise our players, but some need to take a hard look at themselves after that performance last night

Mango Man
10-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Am I getting this wrong, because not many folk are mentioning it, but the blatant Lafferty dive for the free kick leading to the 2nd goal? it looked like a really pathetic dive after he got away from Hanlon, and was Naismith not offside for the goal? was watching on a not very good stream and the replay sure looked like it, I thought the ref really cost us, because our tails were up after we equalized.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Am I getting this wrong, because not many folk are mentioning it, but the blatant Lafferty dive for the free kick leading to the 2nd goal? it looked like a really pathetic dive after he got away from Hanlon, and was Naismith not offside for the goal? was watching on a not very good stream and the replay sure looked like it, I thought the ref really cost us, because our tails were up after we equalized.Am with you there, one of a number of helpful decisions that all mount up. Straightforward dive. I'd say the same if we'd won.

Hibs Class
10-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Am I getting this wrong, because not many folk are mentioning it, but the blatant Lafferty dive for the free kick leading to the 2nd goal? it looked like a really pathetic dive after he got away from Hanlon, and was Naismith not offside for the goal? was watching on a not very good stream and the replay sure looked like it, I thought the ref really cost us, because our tails were up after we equalized.

Was at the game so only saw the incident real time from a distance, but my view all evening was that when balls are played towards him lafferty always looks at and plays the opposing player rather than going for the ball. He leans in and if the opposing player doesn't prop him up he falls over and claims for the foul, which he then gets much more often than he deserves.

Mango Man
10-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Am with you there, one of a number of helpful decisions that all mount up. Straightforward dive. I'd say the same if we'd won.

I was actually shocked Lennon didn't explode at the ref after the game, barely even mentioned him, he played a big part in the outcome of that game.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2018, 12:11 PM
I was actually shocked Lennon didn't explode at the ref after the game, barely even mentioned him, he played a big part in the outcome of that game.He can't, sadly, he is at the very end of a disciplinary rope. I think his inability to speak out might well be driving his current attitude generally.

kaimendhibs
10-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Am I getting this wrong, because not many folk are mentioning it, but the blatant Lafferty dive for the free kick leading to the 2nd goal? it looked like a really pathetic dive after he got away from Hanlon, and was Naismith not offside for the goal? was watching on a not very good stream and the replay sure looked like it, I thought the ref really cost us, because our tails were up after we equalized.You aren't wrong.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

xyz23jc
10-05-2018, 12:46 PM
He can't, sadly, he is at the very end of a disciplinary rope. I think his inability to speak out might well be driving his current attitude generally.

That and having to watch another shocking performance from the officials. Murder all night!

Keith_M
10-05-2018, 01:25 PM
"Aside from the fact that he should have red carded Lafferty for the assault on Lewis and the fact that he allowed Adao free license to kick anyone and everyone in a green jersey but not get booked, I don’t think we can blame the referee as he was not the reason we lost this game."

I get what you're saying about our team being under par but surely the opposition being given free reign to kick Hibs up and down the park has a very large say on the result.

If we'd been playing against ten and Adao then had to restrict his assaults on anyone in green in case he also got sent off, that surely would have changed the whole course of the game.

Jonnyboy
10-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Agree. The excellent summary of the game and our performance pretty much reflects what I saw but in relation to Thomson it was the little things he let them away with that affects the game and hands them an advantage. Unpunished fouls let them break up play. That said I've not seen us so ineffective up front for a while.

Onwards and upwards from what is really just a narrow defeat against a lower lying team who seemed to regard beating one of the leagues high flying form sides as like winning a cup final.

We've had a good season. Back Neil and we'll progress.

"Aside from the fact that he should have red carded Lafferty for the assault on Lewis and the fact that he allowed Adao free license to kick anyone and everyone in a green jersey but not get booked, I don’t think we can blame the referee as he was not the reason we lost this game."

I get what you're saying about our team being under par but surely the opposition being given free reign to kick Hibs up and down the park has a very large say on the result.

If we'd been playing against ten and Adao then had to restrict his assaults on anyone in green in case he also got sent off, that surely would have changed the whole course of the game.

Have had some time to reflect on the game and have now watched the highlights.

It is indeed true that CT allowed far too much to go unpunished and the only thing I can say is that I reckon it's become so much common practice to kick our players off the park that I didn't really notice it a great deal at the time. Both Lafferty and Adao should have been given red cards :agree: Even if Lafferty's crude challenge on Lewis was only a yellow, which I would strongly dispute, he should have been given a second yellow for a quite pathetic dive with the free kick he won allowing them to score again. At the match it happened at the far end from where I was sitting and I thought Paul had made contact when in fact, as the TV footage confirmed, there was no contact at all. CT was well behind the play but the dive happened right in front of his assistant and should have resulted in a yellow for Lafferty.

I'm still bitterly disappointed at the outcome and am frankly stunned at the comments attributed to Neil Lennon! I want him to stay and to continue building a team capable of challenging at the top. I know he's going to have a job on his hands as players leave but the backing is there and it's up to him and his coaches to blend new players in as and when they arrive.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Have had some time to reflect on the game and have now watched the highlights.

It is indeed true that CT allowed far too much to go unpunished and the only thing I can say is that I reckon it's become so much common practice to kick our players off the park that I didn't really notice it a great deal at the time. Both Lafferty and Adao should have been given red cards :agree: Even if Lafferty's crude challenge on Lewis was only a yellow, which I would strongly dispute, he should have been given a second yellow for a quite pathetic dive with the free kick he won allowing them to score again. At the match it happened at the far end from where I was sitting and I thought Paul had made contact when in fact, as the TV footage confirmed, there was no contact at all. CT was well behind the play but the dive happened right in front of his assistant and should have resulted in a yellow for Lafferty.

I'm still bitterly disappointed at the outcome and am frankly stunned at the comments attributed to Neil Lennon! I want him to stay and to continue building a team capable of challenging at the top. I know he's going to have a job on his hands as players leave but the backing is there and it's up to him and his coaches to blend new players in as and when they arrive.[emoji106]