PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Again absolutely hopeless. He just doesn’t bother to track runners or do any of the hard work required. Terrible signing and I really can’t understand Lennon preferring him over Bartley or McGeogh.
Really hope we can move him on.
On the bright side it’s been a good season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanyman
09-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Got stuck in.

Where was everybody else?

Speedway
09-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Can’t see what he offers us over and above the two you name certainly.

Thecat23
09-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Think Hibs should try offload him. He’s simply not good enough for us.

Cheshire Hibby
09-05-2018, 09:04 PM
I thought he was way off the pace in the first half, almost a complete passenger. Slightly better in the 2nd half but no where near good enough.

hibee_girl
Actually thought he did well tonight but would have replaced him with Bartley just to get someone who'd be more in the Hearts players faces.

bingo70
Again absolutely hopeless. He just doesn’t bother to track runners or do any of the hard work required. Terrible signing and I really can’t understand Lennon preferring him over Bartley or McGeogh.
Really hope we can move him on.
On the bright side it’s been a good season.

Nonsense.

What runners didn’t he track?

Both their goals were Stevenson’s fault, why is whittaker being blamed for not tracking runners when no goals or chances weee his fault?

Suspect you typed this out at 7:43 tonight and have been waiting to post it.

noz
He looks lost, too slow. Yes, plenty effort but we needed a bit more than that tonight.

Greencore
09-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Agreed, nothing against the guy. probably a nice guy but he just doesn't cut it.

staunchhibby
09-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Bartley should have been on

Stanton
Spending too much time at His other job " being Prince Edward " :agree:

500miles
He wants too much time on the ball to play holding mid in a small pitch like that.

When Mcgeough came on we were much more cohesive, much better in those tight spaces.

hibIBZ
I just don’t think he is doing a job for us, I would much prefer Bartley in the role in the midfield. Said that several weeks ago that he is just not up to playing that position any more

danhibees1875
09-05-2018, 09:07 PM
No idea how he got the nod ahead of Bartley or, particularly, Mcgeouch. Thought he done well in midfield v Hamilton but has been poor since. Expects too much time on the ball and never looks sure what he's doing when on it. Won a couple of headers though which was a refreshing change to the usual results of our aimless hoofs.

IGRIGI
09-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Shouldn't have played in the first place, should've had Bartley on who wouldn't have shat it like the rest of them in the battle.

HFC_NYC
09-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if was signed simply because hearts wanted him too. A three year deal is a terrible bit of business.

norhfc
09-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Strange selection tonight but he has been improving recently. Whole set up was wrong tho, add not matching the yams for energy and there was only one result I’m afraid, sore one but we move on to Sunday.

SlickShoes
He played because he's been good the last few weeks and McGeouch has a broken face. Stevenson was to blame for both goals.

ancient hibee
We win as a team ,we should lose as a team.Disappointing that posters rush on to blame individuals.

JohnM1875
He was absolutely brutal today unfortunately. So, so bad. Started the second half well for 5 minutes and that was it. Shame cause I like the guy. Seems to lose concentration far too much.

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Our whole midfield were pish, McGeouch perhaps with pass marks when he came on, but the rest were pish.

Now can someone explain to me what Whittaker along with the other crap in midfield had to do with both goals we conceded?

bingo70
09-05-2018, 09:10 PM
We win as a team ,we should lose as a team.Disappointing that posters rush on to blame individuals.

Correct, Whittaker was fine, wasn’t great but wasn’t terrible. No better or worse than anyone else imo

B.H.F.C
09-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Most predictable thread on here tonight. There were plenty far worse than him tonight.

bingo70
09-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Our whole midfield were pish, McGeouch perhaps with pass marks when he came on, but the rest were pish.

Now can someone explain to me what Whittaker along with the other crap in midfield had to do with both goals we conceded?

Nothing, Stevenson was sleeping for both, this thread is a nonsense.

Stevenson has been superb this season but tonight he had a mare, this thread about Whittaker is a complete nonsense.

Gmack7
09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
certainly no worse than mcginn tonight

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Nothing, Stevenson was sleeping for both, this thread is a nonsense.

Stevenson has been superb this season but tonight he had a mare, this thread about Whittaker is a complete nonsense.

Exactly, people looking for a scapegoat, and Whittaker getting it tight.

Perhaps if some folk were not predicting a pumping of the gimps and had a real perspective of football and derby football, they wouldn't need to look for someone to blame.

And to then blame someone who had **** all to do with any of the goals we conceded makes it even more laughable.

PeeJay
09-05-2018, 09:18 PM
No point singling out any one player - we might as well have a thread about every single player: the team didn't turn up this evening

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 09:20 PM
No point singling out any one player - we might as well have a thread about every single player: the team didn't turn up this evening

Exactly, we were sheite.

Thecat23
09-05-2018, 09:23 PM

Fair point, but the shape didn’t help the boys tonight. Lennon for me got it wrong sadly! I do think Whitty has been off the pace more often than not this season.

Still a real chance of European football as well though so good season we’ve had.

eastcoasthibby
09-05-2018, 09:30 PM
He.doesnt.deserve the blame for goals or the result but have to say NL should have swapped him at half time for Oli or MCLaren ..not Bartley we needed to make things happen in their half and both Dylan and MCGinn can cope with the physical side 2 straight up front qould have given us something to play to instead of it.coming.straight back as Flo was struggling.on his own ..wrong.tactics second half I think ..!!

Heisenberg
09-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Three year deal for him was ridiculous. He can barely move now ffs!

we are hibs
09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Yeah but I read on here he was poor because was injured. He's hopeless. And we are stuck with him for 2 more years cause no one will sign him

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Think Hibs should try offload him. He’s simply not good enough for us.

LOL I agree Inesta Messi Ronaldo Couhtino etc but as current Scottish internationalist with premier league experience GTF :greengrin

CockneyRebel
09-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Fair point, but the shape didn’t help the boys tonight. Lennon for me got it wrong sadly! I do think Whitty has been off the pace more often than not this season.

Still a real chance of European football as well though so good season we’ve had.

We don't do well with one up front - been proved enough times so why try it against THEM?

Bishop Hibee
09-05-2018, 09:40 PM
He should never have been played ahead of a fit McGeoch.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Three year deal for him was ridiculous. He can barely move now ffs!

Last week he was great knee-jerk or what FFS and he was far from the worst tonight.

Thecat23
09-05-2018, 09:42 PM
LOL I agree Inesta Messi Ronaldo Couhtino etc but as current Scottish internationalist with premier league experience GTF :greengrin

Your telling me to GTF because I think his best years are behind him?? If Lennon wants us second we need to look for better than Whitty. Nothing against him he’s just not the player he used to be.

That alright with you??

Thecat23
09-05-2018, 09:42 PM
We don't do well with one up front - been proved enough times so why try it against THEM?

Wish I knew the answer!

wookie70
09-05-2018, 09:43 PM
No idea how he got the nod ahead of Bartley or, particularly, Mcgeouch. Thought he done well in midfield v Hamilton but has been poor since. Expects too much time on the ball and never looks sure what he's doing when on it. Won a couple of headers though which was a refreshing change to the usual results of our aimless hoofs.He was excellent against a far better midfield on Saturday and was outnumbered until Boyle went off

Heisenberg
Last week he was great knee-jerk or what FFS and he was far from the worst tonight.

I don’t recall saying he was great last week? He’s slow as **** and useless on the ball. Dreadful bit of business getting him signed for three years.

Cod Boy
Mcginn was terrible as well but it’s only certain players that get criticised with there own threads.

danhibees1875
09-05-2018, 09:46 PM
He was excellent against a far better midfield on Saturday and was outnumbered until Boyle went off

He got a lot of praise v Aberdeen but I didn't see it. He seemed lackluster on the ball and gave away possession cheaply in ways that Mcgeouch wouldn't or even Bartley would have played a simple ball. His pass to McLaren was a good one, when he's actually given the time to do it, he can play football.

IMO of course - he got a lot of praise from others.

Smartie
09-05-2018, 09:47 PM
We've got a few players that you can use in some games but not others.

Tonight was made for Marvin Bartley but he's not needed against bottom 6 teams.

Whittaker is worth putting in to get a foot on the ball against bottom 6 teams but that wasn't a game for him tonight. He wants time on the ball that he was never going to get.

Ryan91
09-05-2018, 09:49 PM

I think Bartley would have been a more natural choice tonight in Whittaker's position, also think that tonight should have seen of one Barker and Boyle starting, not both.

Bartley has been tremendous against Hearts at times in his Hibs career and Hibs needed a physical presence in midfield to give guys like McGinn and Allan the freedom to play

Hiber-nation
09-05-2018, 09:57 PM
The OP should have a look at who was culpable for the goals and not just blame the nearest scapegoat. Ridiculous thread from someone who obviously knows very little about football.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Most predictable thread on here tonight. There were plenty far worse than him tonight.

Why was it the most predictable?
Is it because he consistently under performs?

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Why single out Whittaker, when he had absolutely nothing to do with tonights defeat? :confused:

I can think of 2 players who should have been your first choice if starting a thread for blame.

Smartie
09-05-2018, 10:08 PM
Whittaker was part of a midfield that lost the midfield battle, a midfield that was bossed by a 17 year old.

He should be as open to criticism as anyone else.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Your telling me to GTF because I think his best years are behind him?? If Lennon wants us second we need to look for better than Whitty. Nothing against him he’s just not the player he used to be.

That alright with you??

His best years are behind him his best year's were too good for Hibs budget. His next year's are not.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 10:20 PM
The OP should have a look at who was culpable for the goals and not just blame the nearest scapegoat. Ridiculous thread from someone who obviously knows very little about football.

Stevenson was culpable at both goals but he doesn’t consistently under perform like Whittaker.
If only we all knew as much about football as you.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Why single out Whittaker, when he had absolutely nothing to do with tonights defeat? :confused:

I can think of 2 players who should have been your first choice if starting a thread for blame.

Because most other just had a off night. Whittaker has been consistently hopeless.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Stevenson was culpable at both goals but he doesn’t consistently under perform like Whittaker.

Yip let's just ignore who was culpable for both goals and blame Whittaker

Hiber-nation
09-05-2018, 10:26 PM

I don't see how he's underperformed consistently. The defence were all dreadful tonight and some even seemed to have the wrong studs on which was just ridiculous. They were to blame.

DH1875
09-05-2018, 10:28 PM

McGeoch isnt fit though. He's been having problems with his mask since day one and its being seriously messing with his vision which when your a midfield player must have a serious impact.

Got to be honest, I'm not his biggest fan but think Whittaker is getting a bit of a raw deal tonight.

GreenOnions
09-05-2018, 10:34 PM
I don't think anyone played that well tonight but Whittaker certainly wasn't better or worse than any of his team-mates.

I think it was difficult for all our midfield in the first half especially because we were outnumbered 5-3.

We were set up to get the ball quickly to our front three without really going through the midfield like we normally do. I can see why NL thought this was a good idea at Tinycastle and we were marginally the better side in the early stages. But, after Hearts scored, they got their tails up and they played the Hearts way - hassling, tripping, closing down, shirt-pulling and fouling especially in midfield.

I don't think any of our midfielders dealt well with it but, with hindsight, we were set up wrong and there were just too many maroon jerseys in that central area.

B.H.F.C
09-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Naw. It’s because people like you make your mind up about players and take great delight in posting your thoughts when they have poor games.

Whittaker was superb against Celtic. Why didn’t you start a thread about that? Or about he superb goal against Killie? Or the fact many thought he was our best player against Aberdeen.

Then as soon as we lose a game it’s ‘look at me, I was right, he’s pish’.

I write this as someone who would have started McGeough in front of him. But your constant predictable pish on this subject is grim.

Thecat23
09-05-2018, 10:40 PM
His best years are behind him his best year's were too good for Hibs budget. His next year's are not.

He’ll be another year older. Don’t you think we could get better? I’ve been surprised how poor he’s been since he came with the odd game he’s done well. I’m not taking the piss out the boy just gets exposed a lot which makes him look off the pace.

truehibernian
09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Thought he had a poor first half, but when switched to right back/right midfield to allow Dylan space in the middle he started to play more confidently. Really wanted him to be more positive going forward though - like a few other Hibs players tonight they didn't want to take that chance and drive on, other than Slivka who I think is a lovely footballer and needs far more game time at Hibs. The way he broke tackles, drove forward and laid a great ball into the feet of Barker deserved a goal at the end of it. He's a very strong yet graceful footballer and we would do well to have him play maybe as an old fashioned inside right.

I'm hearing we are in for the Dunfermline right back anyway so who knows, Whitty may just be what he thought he would become and a squad player - which is a good thing to have around the club (his experience).

Onwards and upwards, Whittaker was amongst many who just didn't put their foot on the ball, relax and play.

J-C
09-05-2018, 10:54 PM
He's an over the hill wingback who can play a wee bit elsewhere, to choose him in front of 2 proper midfielders like Dylan and Bartley is ridiculous, I've watched him all season and he's slower than a week in jail, ponderous and gets caught on the ball all to often, a poor piece of business by Hibs.

I had a prior engagement tonight so haven't watched the game yet, so I cannot comment on Whittaker tonight, just going by the rest of this season.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 10:56 PM
He’ll be another year older. Don’t you think we could get better? I’ve been surprised how poor he’s been since he came with the odd game he’s done well. I’m not taking the piss out the boy just gets exposed a lot which makes him look off the pace.

I think you need to take a step back and remember this is Hibs we don't have fantastic players. Stevenson Hanlon Rocky McGregor Efe and lots of other have made several mistakes. That is why they play for Hibs. Steven is more than good enough for us.

truehibernian
09-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Whittaker was part of a midfield that lost the midfield battle, a midfield that was bossed by a 17 year old.

He should be as open to criticism as anyone else.

No it wasn't - are you being blinded by the Hearts media team ?

Midfield wasn't 'bossed' by anybody and said Cochrane had two flashes in the game where slipped a few challenges and he should have scored (first half), and took a great free kick for their winner. Other than that I cannot remember him having any influence on any midfield play, battles or chances ?

If any of their players 'bossed' things it was Berra - he was my MotM (for them) - lost nothing in the air and had Kamberi in his pocket most of the game because Flo was so isolated up top.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 11:09 PM
No it wasn't - are you being blinded by the Hearts media team ?

Midfield wasn't 'bossed' by anybody and said Cochrane had two flashes in the game where slipped a few challenges and he should have scored (first half), and took a great free kick for their winner. Other than that I cannot remember him having any influence on any midfield play, battles or chances ?

If any of their players 'bossed' things it was Berra - he was my MotM (for them) - lost nothing in the air and had Kamberi in his pocket most of the game because Flo was so isolated up top.

If you look at Cochrane’s shot that McGregor blocked it’s Whittaker that is trotting along behind him doing I’m not sure what.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 11:11 PM
If you look at Cochrane’s shot that McGregor blocked it’s Whittaker that is trotting along behind him doing I’m not sure what.

He is trotting. What was Stevenson doing for the first of do we ignore that ?

truehibernian
09-05-2018, 11:16 PM

It wasn't a game or midfield 'bossed' by Harry Cochrane Ozy - not one player from either side bossed the game, indeed, that was what was lacking.

Stevenson's defending first half was simply awful and that was one of the worst games I've seen the wee man play - ever.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 11:26 PM
I’m not excusing Stevenson at all. Everyone can see he has had a shocker. But he has credit in the bank because he is normally a solid performer.
The thing with Whittaker is that he has not been good enough all season. If he plays full back he gets absolutely rinsed every game and if he plays midfield he fails to track runners all over the place. If he has an average game where nothing goes pear shaped it seems to get celebrated on here. It’s ridiculous. He’s not good enough anymore.
Time and time again he was absent tonight in the area of the midfield where McGeogh or Bartley would have been to tidy up. He offered no protection at all to the back 4.
Whataboutery about other players who had a bad game tonight does not take away from the fact that Whittaker is not good enough and we need to try our best to move him on.
It’s not personal, I’m sure he is a very nice bloke. But he’s not good enough to play for Hibs.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 11:32 PM
I’m not excusing Stevenson at all. Everyone can see he has had a shocker. But he has credit in the bank because he is normally a solid performer.
The thing with Whittaker is that he has not been good enough all season. If he plays full back he gets absolutely rinsed every game and if he plays midfield he fails to track runners all over the place. If he has an average game where nothing goes pear shaped it seems to get celebrated on here. It’s ridiculous. He’s not good enough anymore.
Time and time again he was absent tonight in the area of the midfield where McGeogh or Bartley would have been to tidy up. He offered no protection at all to the back 4.
Whataboutery about other players who had a bad game tonight does not take away from the fact that Whittaker is not good enough and we need to try our best to move him on.
It’s not personal, I’m sure he is a very nice bloke. But he’s not good enough to play for Hibs.

Honestly just read what you are saying, so every point we have won with him in the team has been fortunate nothing to do with him even when he has scored ? Just say you don't like him and don't rate him and move on without attempting to justify your bais.

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Honestly just read what you are saying, so every point we have won with him in the team has been fortunate nothing to do with him even when he has scored ? Just say you don't like him and don't rate him and move on without attempting to justify your bais.

I don’t rate him (don’t dislike him) and I’m explaining why. That’s it. It’s not bias. Just opinion.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2018, 11:51 PM
I don’t rate him (don’t dislike him) and I’m explaining why. That’s it. It’s not bias. Just opinion.

If someone like Steven is not good enough for Hibs you either have not seen a lot of Hibs teams or have a very short memory.

keep the faith
09-05-2018, 11:56 PM
If someone like Steven is not good enough for Hibs you either have not seen a lot of Hibs teams or have a very short memory.

I don't think he is good enough for a good hibs side. Lennon picking him over Marv tonight was mind boggling.

JohnM1875
09-05-2018, 11:57 PM

Or Steven is too old now? Which I really think he is. If we don't recruit better than him in the summer then it's a worry.

Sammy7nil
10-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Or Steven is too old now? Which I really think he is. If we don't recruit better than him in the summer then it's a worry.

LOL how long have you watched Hibs ? Sorry for having a go but really where do you think we are in terms of recruitment? Steven is a very good SPL player who 8 or more teams in the league would kill for to have in their 16

Ozyhibby
10-05-2018, 12:06 AM
LOL how long have you watched Hibs ? Sorry for having a go but really where do you think we are in terms of recruitment? Steven is a very good SPL player who 8 or more teams in the league would kill for to have in their 16

I hope you are right because then it will be easier to move him on.
Do we want to be like the other 8 teams who would like Whittaker? If we want to compete with the top teams we need better.

madhatter
10-05-2018, 12:10 AM
100% he shouldn’t be close to being 1st choice. He should be used as utility player. Backup for many positions. He is clearly slowing down rapidly. He was never rapid but he is now slow and after 60-70 mins looks quite tired. Reminds me a bit of Holt. Brings a lot to the table but beginning to struggle to do it consistently like once before.

JohnM1875
10-05-2018, 12:10 AM

I'm 30 so been watching Hibs for 24 years and I can guarantee you if I saw him play for any other premiership team there would be no chance I'd want him anywhere near our starting line up . . . LOL

Sammy7nil
10-05-2018, 12:12 AM
I hope you are right because then it will be easier to move him on.
Do we want to be like the other 8 teams who would like Whittaker? If we want to compete with the top teams we need better.

LOL I will say again how long have you watched Hibs ? Recruitment is not a science but if the quality of Whittiker is a mistake keep them coming.

Sammy7nil
10-05-2018, 12:13 AM
I'm 30 so been watching Hibs for 24 years and I can guarantee you if I saw him play for any other premiership team there would be no chance I'd want him anywhere near our starting line up . . . LOL

Well said we will have to agree to disagree

JohnM1875
10-05-2018, 12:17 AM
Well said we will have to agree to disagree

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and that's the whole point of this forum mate.

For what it's worth I hope you're right and he proves me wrong as we have him on a long term contract.

allezsauzee
10-05-2018, 10:19 AM
I see Steven Whittaker is our new go-to scapegoat. I wonder if he can hold on to that position as long as Lewis did a few years ago.

Allant1981
10-05-2018, 10:29 AM

he hasnt exactly set the heather on fire this season, no point in mentioning previous hibs teams or seasons, you judge someone on current form and the current season, if all players are fit then he should be a back up player at best

Allant1981
10-05-2018, 10:33 AM

8 teams who realistically arent going to be challenging for second though, we were until last night and hopefully will be again next season, whittaker isnt going to push us on next season