PDA

View Full Version : South Georgia Heritage Trust

Greenbeard
09-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Can we get these guys across to work in Gorgie? Sure their methods could be well adapted for another sort of eradication. :devil:
Per BBC online..........
They have gone, or so it seems.
The biggest rat eradication programme ever undertaken appears to have rid South Georgia island in the South Atlantic of its pest problem.
A survey of the British Overseas Territory has found no trace of the rodents that had been attacking the local birdlife.
The outcome is a triumph for the South Georgia Heritage Trust (https://www.sght.org/), the Scottish charity that led the £10m campaign to protect the biodiversity hotspot.
Helicopters were used to systematically drop poison pellets across the island's coastal fringes in three phases starting in 2010/11.
But international best practice had required the extermination team to wait two years after the last distribution of rodenticide before assessing its work.
That has just now been completed with experts combing the island with sniffer dogs.
Traps were also set, along with enticing "chew sticks" pasted with peanut butter. But there is not a jot of evidence to suggest any live rats are still present.

AltheHibby
09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Don't see why not. Only difference is that I feel sorry for the rats!😋

Sweet Left Peg
09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
They have done a remarkable job. I believe they were doing the same thing with deer that were introduced by whalers years ago. Trying to get South Georgia back to its natural wildlife. There is an abandoned whaling settlement there called Leith. Salvesens had a large influence down there at one point. It's the most incredible place I've seen and I'm glad that there is a huge effort to protect it.