PDA

View Full Version : Just What is the best result for us tonight - Aberdeen v Rangers?

BlackSheep
08-05-2018, 09:07 AM
I know the permutations have been discussed a lot on here but let’s focus on the game tonight.

What really is the best result for us.

Aberdeen win and we need 2 wins for 2nd or beat Rangers for 3rd. Relying completely on our own results.

If Rangers win we need to 2 wins for 2nd and need Aberdeen to lose to Celtic and us to beat Rangers to get 3rd. So relying on other results.

These two scenarios completely discount our result against Hearts, as right now I think we need to be thinking one game at a time, even when we are not involved.

I guess I have kind of answered my own question by sounding it out, as surely we would prefer to rely entirely on our own results. I think automatic qualification for Europe is a must as Motherwell could pull a rabbit out on Cup Final day as we have seen in the past from other teams.

What are others’ opinions?

Diclonius
08-05-2018, 09:08 AM
If Rangers win then us winning our remaining two games means we finish second. It has to be that.

BlackSheep
08-05-2018, 09:11 AM
If Rangers win then us winning our remaining two games means we finish second. It has to be that.

If Aberdeen beat Celtic then it goes to goal difference so not entirely settled with 2 wins for us.

Rangers could win 1-0 and the Aberdeen could beat Celtic 3-0 and we win 1-0, 1-0 and we feel ish 3rd on goal difference....

Aim Here
08-05-2018, 09:12 AM
For our best chance of getting 2nd, we want it to be a draw, preferably a bad tempered one with both sets of players kicking lumps out of each other in a brutal, debilitating scrum.

For our best change of safely getting the Europa qualifier, we want Aberdeen to win, to make Rangers easier to beat.

Diclonius
08-05-2018, 09:14 AM
If Aberdeen beat Celtic then it goes to goal difference so not entirely settled with 2 wins for us.

Rangers could win 1-0 and the Aberdeen could beat Celtic 3-0 and we win 1-0, 1-0 and we feel ish 3rd on goal difference....

In the highly improbable event that Aberdeen beat Celtic at Parkhead, there's no way it'll be by more than one goal. Two 1-0 victories puts us on 18 and them on 17, and if we both beat on the OF on the final day their margin won't exceed ours. Therefore, I'd say it's almost a certainty.

In any case, all this is academic because Aberdeen will bottle it v the OF as usual tonight.

patlowe
08-05-2018, 09:15 AM
To be honest it melts my brain a bit thinking about it. Just hoping we have it in our hands going into the last game as we always seem to rise to the big occasion. Going to be a nervy night tomorrow before we get there though.

BlackSheep
08-05-2018, 09:17 AM
On a side note... what are everyone’s predictions?

fairafarhib
08-05-2018, 09:17 AM
For our best chance of getting 2nd, we want it to be a draw, preferably a bad tempered one with both sets of players kicking lumps out of each other in a brutal, debilitating scrum.

For our best change of safely getting the Europa qualifier, we want Aberdeen to win, to make Rangers easier to beat.
Agree, draw is the best result for us.

bingo70
08-05-2018, 09:18 AM
It’s an impossible question to answer until we know the result of our game tomorrow night.

Every possible result has pros and cons.

The only scenario I think we can hope for is that if rangers win its better they give Aberdeen an absolute pumping, even then though it probably won’t make much difference.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 09:21 AM
It’s an impossible question to answer until we know the result of our game tomorrow night.

Every possible result has pros and cons.

The only scenario I think we can hope for is that if rangers win its better they give Aberdeen an absolute pumping, even then though it probably won’t make much difference.

This is what I was thinking. I have no idea what result is best for us tonight and we’ll only know when we know our result tomorrow. If we’re happy enough to base what result is best for us with the aim being that we’ll do our part and win both games then a draw is best for us or a Rangers win.

Steven79
08-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Aberdeen & Rangers to draw in a bad tempered clash with lots of injuries and red cards and then Hearts to get the hammering they deserve at that rusting ****hole tomorrow night.

Then the people get pumped at Easter Road while Aberdeen claim an unlikely win at Celtic Park as they have their eye on the cup final only to lose said cup final after having 80% of the ball due to a break away in the last 5 minutes meaning the people miss out on Europe.

JeMeSouviens
08-05-2018, 09:24 AM
If there's a winner tonight then we have to win tomorrow to have a chance of second. A draw means we can still draw at Tiny, win on Sunday and be guaranteed at least 3rd, probably 2nd.

I think tomorrow night will be a hard game to win on a small pitch with foot long grass and facing a motivated team of cloggers.

danhibees1875
08-05-2018, 09:29 AM
It's a really tough one to determine, ideally we'd have played first (ideally from the perspective of having a result to want in this game).

I understand the logic in wanting a draw, but it's the one result that could feasibly (combined with a Hibs loss on Wed) see us rooted in 4th with nothing to play for on the last day. From the perspective of wanting to avoid that, either of them to win would be the better scenario.

Although, a draw is also the only scenario that allows us to draw tomorrow and still get 2nd...

:dunno:

Steven79
08-05-2018, 09:29 AM
If there's a winner tonight then we have to win tomorrow to have a chance of second. A draw means we can still draw at Tiny, win on Sunday and be guaranteed at least 3rd, probably 2nd.

I think tomorrow night will be a hard game to win on a small pitch with foot long grass and facing a motivated team of cloggers.

They are owed a hammering and after seeing them against Rangers, Aberdeen & Celtic I don't see any reason why it can't happen tomorrow!

Mikey
08-05-2018, 09:31 AM
I'd prefer a Rangers win tonight. That way we finish second if we win both of our remaining games, as long as Aberdeen don't turn around the goal difference by winning well at Parkhead.

Rangers and Hibs to both win by a couple of goals tonight and tomorrow would be ideal.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 09:32 AM
I suppose a rangers win tonight puts it in our hands. Anything else leaves us needing results elsewhere to go our way for second.

JeMeSouviens
08-05-2018, 09:43 AM
They are owed a hammering and after seeing them against Rangers, Aberdeen & Celtic I don't see any reason why it can't happen tomorrow!

They are pish but conditions (and the ref) are all in their favour.

flash
08-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Aberdeen win or draw for me. I just want us to be able to finish above The Rangers by beating them on Sunday.
I should add that I think we will get a draw tomorrow night.

heretoday
08-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Come on the Gers!

Liberal Hibby
08-05-2018, 10:11 AM

That's my thought too.

Steve20
08-05-2018, 10:13 AM
We are probably going to have to win both our games to finish 2nd, so a Rangers win would be the best for that. A draw tonight and it's out our hands (I know Aberdeen don't turn up against Celtic, but stranger things have happened)

B.H.F.C
08-05-2018, 10:15 AM
A draw as that gives us margin for error tomorrow.

However, if we win our two games I think we get second as I can’t see the sheep taking anything at Parkhead. Regardless of what happens tonight we need to go in with that ‘must win’ mentality tomorrow.

Ozyhibby
08-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Can we all agree that a couple of sending offs and couple of injuries to Sevco players before Sunday would be nice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IGRIGI
08-05-2018, 10:20 AM
For me a draw to maximise chances of 3nd place.

A waste of time writing that however as Aberdeen will Levein 86 it as usual in front of a Glasgow team.

Diclonius
08-05-2018, 10:29 AM
A draw as that gives us margin for error tomorrow.

However, if we win our two games I think we get second as I can’t see the sheep taking anything at Parkhead. Regardless of what happens tonight we need to go in with that ‘must win’ mentality tomorrow.

If it's a draw and we lose tomorrow then we finish 4th.

NZ Green
08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Anything but an Aberdeen win I think is best. We still have a chance of second no matter what the outcome is though (assuming Aberdeen lose to Celtic!)

CMurdoch
08-05-2018, 10:49 AM
A draw tonight would be good.
A point for each team and the other point falls to the floor.

Whatever way you dress it up we are playing a team 20 points behind us tomorrow night so should be beating them.
Match their fight in the 1st half then beat them in the 2nd as they fall away.

That would leave us with all to play for on Sunday.

scoopyboy
08-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I want an Aberdeen win. That way if we beat the huns on Sunday we finish above them

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 10:58 AM
I want an Aberdeen win. That way if we beat the huns on Sunday we finish above them

And if we were to win tomorrow probably be above both.

Michael
08-05-2018, 10:58 AM

We'll finish above them if we win our last two regardless. Rangers win helps us the most.

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 10:59 AM
We'll finish above them if we win our last two regardless. Rangers win helps us the most.

Why?

Michael
08-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Why?

They'll be 5 ahead of us if they beat Aberdeen. If we win our two games we'll go one point ahead.

Blaster
08-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Me too mate

bingo70
08-05-2018, 11:11 AM

The other good thing about Aberdeen winning would be that it would burst any feel good factor they may have picked up from Gerrards appointment and then beating Killie. If they win tonight, they could be an entirely different proposition to when we’ve played them before in terms of confidence.

Plus let’s not forget how brilliant it is to see the rangers in turmoil, the day I don’t enjoy a rangers defeat I might just call it a day.

It’s good that on this occasion though that if they were to win there would be positives to be had.

IGRIGI
08-05-2018, 11:11 AM
So basically any result means we're still in with a shout for 2nd, glad that's clarified :greengrin

Onion
08-05-2018, 11:19 AM
2nd would be fantastic but finishing above the Rangers and guaranteeing us a Euro place would be a great second prize. Watching the Rangers finishing 4th and imploding would be a hoot.

Ozyhibby
08-05-2018, 11:21 AM
2nd would be fantastic but finishing above the Rangers and guaranteeing us a Euro place would be a great second prize. Watching the Rangers finishing 4th and imploding would be a hoot.

Especially if Motherwell won the cup. [emoji3]

PatHead
08-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Even better if they then get refused a licence for Europe.

ian cruise
08-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Especially if Motherwell won the cup. [emoji3]

If Rangers finish 4th and Motherwell win the up the Internet won't be able to handle the overload of statements and match fixing allegations coming from Govan direction.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 11:24 AM
I’ve decided the ideal results over the next two games would see us second, Rangers third and Aberdeen fourth.

The money from Europe for Rangers won’t mean nearly as much as it would to Aberdeen, so it would significantly weaken Aberdeen if they didn’t have it while not making a lot of odds to Rangers.

CropleyWasGod
08-05-2018, 11:26 AM
I’ve decided the ideal results over the next two games would see us second, Rangers third and Aberdeen fourth.

The money from Europe for Rangers won’t mean nearly as much as it would to Aberdeen, so it would significantly weaken Aberdeen if they didn’t have it while not making a lot of odds to Rangers.

Rangers' business plan is based on their getting to the EL groups. Aberdeen's isn't.

So it means more to Rangers than it does to Aberdeen.

Ozyhibby
08-05-2018, 11:30 AM
[/U][/I][/B]

Rangers' business plan is based on their getting to the EL groups. Aberdeen's isn't.

Agreed, there is a very good chance they could go bust without it.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 11:31 AM
[/U][/I][/B]

I know, but they’ll just spend it anyway even if it’s not there. And proportionately, it’s a much smaller sum of money to them.

Let’s remember aswell that they’ll not get to the groups.

Long term it would maybe be an issue for Rangers, but short term they’ll just spend the money whether they qualify for Europe or not. And probably spend it badly aswell.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Agreed, there is a very good chance they could go bust without it.

I doubt that. What do you make from one round of Europa League qualifiers, a couple hundred grand? They’re not getting any further than that.

Frazerbob
08-05-2018, 11:40 AM
I doubt that. What do you make from one round of Europa League qualifiers, a couple hundred grand? They’re not getting any further than that.

Depends on the draw but some qualifying rounds clubs are lucky to break even. Long haul flights to far flung former Soviet states with no TV companies buying the game can be very costly logistically.

CropleyWasGod
08-05-2018, 11:40 AM

Their accounts made the point that they're not a Going Concern unless they make the group stages in 3 out of the next 5 seasons. They've had 1 of them already.

So, if they don't make it this time, Ozy is correct that administration is a real possibility.

scoopyboy
08-05-2018, 11:55 AM
One of the reasons I want Aberdeen to win is it would guarantee our last match isn’t meaningless. If we lost at tynecastle and tonight’s game was a draw then that’s exactly what it would be. That would be a terrible anti climax

Speedy
08-05-2018, 11:56 AM
The result I don't want is an Aberdeen win. Unfortunately that's what I think is most likely.

Rangers winning keeps it in our hands but we need 6 points. A draw means 4 points might do us or we could afford Aberdeen getting a point at Celtic if we win 2 games.

Greenbeard
08-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Aye. Would be great to finish 2nd but I'd still be ultra ultra content with third if the Hunsh-ites end up 4th. And a muckle big Brucie bonus if 'Well then win the cup!!!!!!

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 12:02 PM
They'll be 5 ahead of us if they beat Aberdeen. If we win our two games we'll go one point ahead.

Aberdeen winning would then mean whatever we do against Hearts beating Rangers will mean we are ahead of them..

hibbie02
08-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Much as I hate to say it, a Hun win tonight would help us. However it all depends of beating the Maroon Balloon tomorrow as to how our season ends unfortunately and that is not a situation I am comfortable with. Huns win tonight and us winning tomorrow and I fancy us in a head to head for second. However it feels like we have been 4th for months and every time we look to make progress, results go the way of the Sheep and Huns. To get past one of them into 3rd would be a real achievement, to beat them both by beating the Yams and the Huns would be something special.

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 12:04 PM
So basically any result means we're still in with a shout for 2nd, glad that's clarified :greengrin

A draw would mean if we lost to Hearts we would definitely be 4th.

scoopyboy
08-05-2018, 12:07 PM
A draw would mean if we lost to Hearts we would definitely be 4th.

That’s why I want the sheep to win. We don’t deserve a meaningless match to finish the season

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 12:10 PM
That’s why I want the sheep to win. We don’t deserve a meaningless match to finish the season

Agree with that. Also means we can really go for it against Hearts and not be thinking a draw may be ok, would much rather we were going to win.

Speedy
08-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Agree with that. Also means we can really go for it against Hearts and not be thinking a draw may be ok, would much rather we were going to win.

I don't think we can assume Aberdeen will get nothing against Celtic. Celtic have nothing to play for, Aberdeen do.

I'm sure Lennon will have the same view so will set up to be Hearts regardless.

fulshie
08-05-2018, 12:51 PM
We should concentrate on our own matches one at a time and forget Rangers and Aberdeen. Win our last two games and we cant do anymore than that. We cant do anything about the other teams games and I'm positive that the message NL will be getting across to our squad and rightly so. If results go for us then great, if not well I would say we've still had an excellent season and a bit of luck a European place.

Leithenhibby
08-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Winning is the NL way, no danger he/they will be thinking about anything else than two victories.

GGTTH

jgl07
08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
The result I don't want is an Aberdeen win. Unfortunately that's what I think is most likely.

When did Aberdeen last beat The Rangers or Celtic?

sahpaton
08-05-2018, 01:05 PM
When did Aberdeen last beat The Rangers or Celtic?
Aberdeen won 2-1 at Ibrox in the 2nd last game of last season's split. So almost exactly a year ago.

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Winning is the NL way, no danger he/they will be thinking about anything else than two victories.

GGTTH

Kind of hear what you are saying however in the second half if a draw was seen as ok team might be inclined to accept it. Think we were quite negative in the second half of the cup game for example.

The Green Goblin
08-05-2018, 01:16 PM
It's exciting, isn't it? Great to be in the thick of it with two games to go. I think we just need to focus on winning tomorrow and Sunday. Other results could go any way at all.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Kind of hear what you are saying however in the second half if a draw was seen as ok team might be inclined to accept it. Think we were quite negative in the second half of the cup game for example.

They’d be crazy not to accept it. Why risk it all when you don’t need to?

Frazerbob
08-05-2018, 01:26 PM
When was the last time our season ended weeks, or even months before the end of the league? It’s not that long ago that we would be faced with loads of meaningless matches with crap crowds. Between relegation, play-offs and cup finals it seems like we’ve been in the thick of things right til the last week for a good few years now.

Keith_M
08-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Aberdeen win, they finish second and we finish third.

Motherwell win the cup and no The Rangers or Hearts in Europe.

Monts
08-05-2018, 01:37 PM
A draw.

We shouldn't be contemplating not taking anything from tynecastle.

Keith_M
08-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Depends on the draw but some qualifying rounds clubs are lucky to break even. Long haul flights to far flung former Soviet states with no TV companies buying the game can be very costly logistically.

What about being drawn against a team a lot closer to home, for example Luxembourg?

Would that be Progrès?

:wink:

Michael
08-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Aberdeen winning would then mean whatever we do against Hearts beating Rangers will mean we are ahead of them..

But we want 2nd!

PeeJay
08-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Think a draw would do us well, BUT we have to win our games - nothing else ... that's all that really matters now

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 02:19 PM
But we want 2nd!

and can still be so just provides for a back drop if we were to lose tomorrow.

HibeeHibernian4
08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
A draw is (quite obviously) the result we should be wanting tonight.

To the people saying "what if we lose at Tynecastle? We'd have to settle for fourth", that's been true of our last 11 games we've not lost in too.

We may well lose at Tynecastle tomorrow night, but a draw tonight is definitely the result I'm hoping for.

Aberdeen - Rangers, draw.
Hearts - Hibs, draw (or Hibs win even more ideally, but being realistic).
Hibs - Rangers, win.
Celtic - Aberdeen, Celtic win.

Those four results would GUARANTEE us second place. I can't see why anybody would hope for anything else?

My_Wife_Camille
08-05-2018, 03:00 PM
A draw.

We shouldn't be contemplating not taking anything from tynecastle.
Yep, we also shouldn’t be thinking about what might get us 3rd when we can still get 2nd

bingo70
08-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Yep, we also shouldn’t be thinking about what might get us 3rd when we can still get 2nd

Anyone any idea how the bookies are predicting this?

I assume they’ll have the rangers favourite for 2nd, Aberdeen for 3rd and us for fourth?

Ozyhibby
08-05-2018, 03:08 PM
When was the last time our season ended weeks, or even months before the end of the league? It’s not that long ago that we would be faced with loads of meaningless matches with crap crowds. Between relegation, play-offs and cup finals it seems like we’ve been in the thick of things right til the last week for a good few years now.

2011?

Greenbeard
08-05-2018, 03:23 PM
I will put my faith in the Tic to win v the Sheep. But if they do, the hunsh-ites would just need two draws to secure 2nd (assuming we beat the corgie gunts). And I don't want the hunsh-ites coming here on Sun just needing a draw - so it has to be a one-goal Sheep win for me tonight.

Famous Fiver
08-05-2018, 03:31 PM
I am quite cool about it all.

While I appreciate the difference between 2nd and 4th is half a million, as long as Motherwell don't win the cup, we are guaranteed European football even if we finish 4th. We can easily make quarter of a million from a home European tie. The only issue is that the preliminary round first leg is June 28th, Second or third would give us a starting date of 12th July, almost a full month before the start of the league seaso. We won't have League Cup qualifiers to worry about so no Peterhead type banana skins lying about.

If I am wrong in my summary I am pleased to be corrected.

Hibs are going to Europe, the Hearts are in their bed.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-05-2018, 03:51 PM
What's the disparity between 2nd and 3rd in terms of positional earnings and EL qualification?

In an ideal world we'd have played first and would know the outcome we'd want from tonight's match.

Factors for me are, we've a shocking record at tynie (although we should be going there an annihilating them right now but this is their ONLY post split fixture) so would probably take a draw

This means imo we need someone to win tonight to have something to play for come Sunday

Aberdeen win so the huns aren't going into the match with momentum from Gerrard appointment and win over killie then we turn over the rangers who will bottle it again in a big match

JeMeSouviens
08-05-2018, 04:02 PM
What's the disparity between 2nd and 3rd in terms of positional earnings and EL qualification?

In an ideal world we'd have played first and would know the outcome we'd want from tonight's match.

Factors for me are, we've a shocking record at tynie (although we should be going there an annihilating them right now but this is their ONLY post split fixture) so would probably take a draw

This means imo we need someone to win tonight to have something to play for come Sunday

Aberdeen win so the huns aren't going into the match with momentum from Gerrard appointment and win over killie then we turn over the rangers who will bottle it again in a big match

If we get at least a point from Tiny, there is no way we won't be playing for at least 3rd on Sunday.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-05-2018, 04:11 PM
If we get at least a point from Tiny, there is no way we won't be playing for at least 3rd on Sunday.

Exactly, if. We may need to head their knowing only a win would keep our season going in to Sunday.

Hence my logic due to our record there.

That being said I know we CAN win tomorrow I'm just spreading my chips

HibeeHibernian4
08-05-2018, 04:11 PM
I am quite cool about it all.

While I appreciate the difference between 2nd and 4th is half a million, as long as Motherwell don't win the cup, we are guaranteed European football even if we finish 4th. We can easily make quarter of a million from a home European tie. The only issue is that the preliminary round first leg is June 28th, Second or third would give us a starting date of 12th July, almost a full month before the start of the league seaso. We won't have League Cup qualifiers to worry about so no Peterhead type banana skins lying about.

If I am wrong in my summary I am pleased to be corrected.

Hibs are going to Europe, the Hearts are in their bed.

If we finish 3rd or 4th, we will start in the Europa League in the First Qualifying Round on the 12th July, with the other leg being on the 19th July. If we finish 2nd and Motherwell win the cup, then we will start in the Europa League in this round too.

If we finish 2nd and Celtic win the cup, then we will start in the Second Qualifying Round on the 26th July, with the second leg on the 2nd August. Hope that clears things up.

Rumble de Thump
08-05-2018, 04:19 PM
I would like the ground to open up and swallow both teams.

BS44
08-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Anyone any idea how the bookies are predicting this?

I assume they’ll have the rangers favourite for 2nd, Aberdeen for 3rd and us for fourth?

Ladbrokes betting without Celtic

Aberdeen 11/10
The huns 5/4
Good Guys 7/2

ancient hibee
08-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Ignore their game and concentrate on what matters-us getting six points.I think Aberdeen have a good chance tonight.

Greenbeard
08-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Ignore their game and concentrate on what matters-us getting six points.I think Aberdeen have a good chance tonight.
A bit oxymoronic that is it no'. Telling us to ignore tonight but then venturing your opinion on the outcome! :greengrin

shetlandhibee
08-05-2018, 04:43 PM
rangers win or draw prob best result for us ... i cant see Aberdeen beating Celtic on final day. so im quite relaxed about tonights game if we beat hearts IMO we will do it .... tomos game will be the hardest off the last 2...:aok:

Hibernianinc
08-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Been taking a look at this from our results perspective on best options for our finishing 2nd, of which there are quite a few permutations.

1) We beat both herts and sevco

sevco win tonight is the best option.
That's because regardless of result tonight Aberdeen still have the chance to finish above us if they get a result against celtc.
A sevco win means Aberdeen have to win that game, whereupon GD comes into play.

2) We draw v herts, beat sevco

Again, a sevco win.
If Aberdeen win we can't catch them.
A draw tonight and a draw v celtc would be enough for Aberdeen to finish above us.
A draw tonight and a sheep loss brings us back into GD scenario

3) We lose to herts, beat sevco

Here, an Aberdeen win.
We can't make 2nd, but can still make 3rd.
If Aberdeen win we can't catch them, but can still catch sevco.
This way we're not waiting on celtc doing us a favour, 3rd is in our own hands.

4) Beat herts, draw with sevco

Complicated.
A draw tonight is the only way this could let us finish 2nd, but then we'd need to beat sevco 6-0 to overcome their GD, and this assumes Aberdeen lose to celtc.
A win for Aberdeen or sevco tonight and these results for us gives tonight's winner 2nd place, unless Aberdeen go on to horse celtc by double figures - which would be a turn-up.

5) Beat herts, lose to sevco

We're toast for 2nd, but a sevco win tonight coupled with Aberdeen then losing to celtc would give us 3rd, assuming GD works in our favour.

So, all things point to a Sevco win as being best for us. But before you dust down the union flags for this evening, the other factor is momentum. Do we want sevco pitching up on the back of 2 wins and knowing 2nd is in their control, or would we rather see a worried set of players unsure if they'll be part of the Gerrard Revolution?

If so, a draw is best.

ancient hibee
08-05-2018, 05:06 PM
A bit oxymoronic that is it no'. Telling us to ignore tonight but then venturing your opinion on the outcome! :greengrin
I didn’t mean us to ignore it,I meant the club:greengrin

Keith_M
08-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Who you callin' a moron?

:casper:

Bishop Hibee
08-05-2018, 05:40 PM
A draw is the best result. I think Aberdeen will win 2-1 though.

Sir David Gray
08-05-2018, 05:55 PM
A draw or an Aberdeen win.

The only time I want Sevco to win a game of football is if it directly benefits us. A win for them could help us but it's not guaranteed so if we can't finish 2nd then I hope it's Aberdeen.

To hell with Sevco.

Johnny Clash
08-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Anything but an Aberdeen win I think is best. We still have a chance of second no matter what the outcome is though (assuming Aberdeen lose to Celtic!)

I think you’re right

If Aberdeen win tonight then they are on 72 points. We can only match that if we win both our games so it goes to goal difference (assuming celtc pump the Dandy Dons).

shetlandhibee
08-05-2018, 07:52 PM
I think you’re right

If Aberdeen win tonight then they are on 72 points. We can only match that if we win both our games so it goes to goal difference (assuming celtc pump the Dandy Dons).
this is where im at a lot of folk thinking if aberdeen win tonight we cant catch them? celtic IMO will win by at least 2 goals in the last game,, win both our games we,ll not be far away.. IMO we,ll beat rankers by 2 goals aberdeen will lose last game by 2 goals,,,4 goal swing HIBEES 2nd on gd:agree:

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Agree, draw is the best result for us.

A draw is the worst result for us. It would mean if we lose to Hearts we’re 4th. Rangers win, it’s in our hands to finish 2nd, & even then, 1 win would probably get us 3rd, because you would expect Celtic to beat Aberdeen.

IGRIGI
08-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Can we please leave this "if we lose to Hearts" pish to pre Lennon?

Utter joke of a mentality.

08-05-2018, 08:21 PM
If we can beat Hearts 10-0 then a draw against Rangers might be enough for 2nd place.

Borderhibbie76
08-05-2018, 08:23 PM

Utter joke of a mentality.Absolutely this...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
08-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Could not agree more

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Not mentality, reality. The thread is asking what the best scenario result wise is. What’s your take on it then Einstein?

My_Wife_Camille
08-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Not mentality, reality. The thread is asking what the best scenario result wise is. What’s your take on it then Einstein?
If one of these two teams wins then we need 6 points from our last two games, if they draw we only need 4. Why would you want us to have the harder run in?

danhibees1875
08-05-2018, 08:38 PM
If one of these two teams wins then we need 6 points from our last two games, if they draw we only need 4. Why would you want us to have the harder run in?

6 points is guaranteed remember - don't be so pessimistic. :wink:

Gmack7
08-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Great result for us we could afford a draw then pump the rangers would likely see us finish 2nd

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:40 PM

If it’s a draw & we beat Hearts & draw with Rangers, they finish above us. And if Aberdeen get another point we’re 4th. If you offered me 3rd place which guarantees Europe, I’d take that. Wouldn’t you?

Sir David Gray
08-05-2018, 08:41 PM

If we get 4 points we could still end up 4th.

Beat Hearts and draw with Sevco and both us and Sevco will finish on 70 points but they would finish above us on goal difference. If Aberdeen get anything against Celtic then they would finish 2nd above us and Sevco and we would finish 4th.

Monts
08-05-2018, 08:43 PM

Beat Hearts and draw with Sevco and both us and Sevco will finish on 70 points but they would finish above us on goal difference. If Aberdeen get anything against Celtic then they would finish 2nd above us and Sevco and we would finish 4th.
But if we draw with hearts and beat sevco while Aberdeen lose to Celtic, 4 points could get us 2nd. Any other result tonight and only 6 points would achieve second.

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Great result for us we could afford a draw then pump the rangers would likely see us finish 2nd

Really? Draw with Hearts, then we need to beat Rangers 5-0.

My_Wife_Camille
08-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Ok Mr Pedantic.

We need to beat the Huns regardless, that goes without saying. Now we can afford to draw with Hearts instead of needing to win both.

I’d much rather have the best possible chance of finishing 2nd even if the flip side is a big chance of finishing 4th. Would much rather that than settling for 3rd with 2 games still to play

Northernhibee
08-05-2018, 08:46 PM
That.

Six points gives us a great chance.

blackpoolhibs

How do you know Aberdeen lose at Parkhead? :confused:

Monts

No we wouldn't, we would be a point ahead if we beat rangers.

BlackSheep
08-05-2018, 08:47 PM

Think ur maths are a bit off there mate. We r 3 pts behind Rangers.... draw with hearts puts us 2 pts behind, beat them at all by any score line and we go 1 point ahead.

oneone73
08-05-2018, 08:48 PM
We'd only be two points behind them if we draw??

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 08:49 PM
That.

Six points gives us a great chance.

Six points guarantees it. Aberdeen aren’t going to get anything at Parkhead, never mind a win. Even a draw tomorrow and a win on Sunday will see us finish second.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Hope for a win tomorrow, if not then a draw still keeps it open although we will be relying on Celtic to do us a favour.

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Ok Mr Pedantic.

We need to beat the Huns regardless, that goes without saying. Now we can afford to draw with Hearts instead of needing to win both.

I’d much rather have the best possible chance of finishing 2nd even if the flip side is a big chance of finishing 4th. Would much rather that than settling for 3rd with 2 games still to play

The best chance of finishing 2nd was with a Rangers win tonight. That was the only result that left it in our own hands. And we can’t afford a draw with Hearts, as we would have to beat Rangers 5-0, and hope Aberdeen never got anything st Celtic.

Northernhibee
08-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Six points guarantees it. Aberdeen aren’t going to get anything at Parkhead, never mind a win. Even a draw tomorrow and a win on Sunday will see us finish second.

I'm taking nothing for granted - even the possibility of Aberdeen beating Celtic.

Monts
08-05-2018, 08:52 PM
The best chance of finishing 2nd was with a Rangers win tonight. That was the only result that left it in our own hands. And we can’t afford a draw with Hearts, as we would have to beat Rangers 5-0, and hope Aberdeen never got anything st Celtic.

Nope still wrong

Billy Whizz
08-05-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm taking nothing for granted - even the possibility of Aberdeen beating Celtic.

Celtic will win by 2/3

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:54 PM
No we wouldn't, we would be a point ahead if we beat rangers.

Correct. I thought we were 3 behind before tonight’s game. Still not in our hands though. Will Celtic “rest” some players with cup final in mind, knowing that an Aberdeen win and Rangers can’t get 2nd?

BoomtownHibees
08-05-2018, 08:55 PM

As has been pointed out a few times already, a point tomorrow means we are 2 pint behind The Rangers so beat them on Sunday and we finish above them. If Celtc beat Aberdeen then we finish 2nd

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Nope still wrong

A Rangers win left it in our hands.

munchar
08-05-2018, 08:58 PM
As has been pointed out a few times already, a point tomorrow means we are 2 pint behind The Rangers so beat them on Sunday and we finish above them. If Celtc beat Aberdeen then we finish 2nd

IF Celtic win. As I’ve said. A Rangers win tonight left it in our hands, with a chance of 1 win getting 3rd.

Renfrew_Hibby

Take it you bunked off school quite a lot?

Tyler Durden
Correct. I thought we were 3 behind before tonight’s game. Still not in our hands though. Will Celtic “rest” some players with cup final in mind, knowing that an Aberdeen win and Rangers can’t get 2nd?

They may play some reserves yeah - the likes of Armstrong, Griffiths and Patrick Roberts. Aberdeen have a terrible record there - it’s unlikely they’ll get anything

BoomtownHibees
08-05-2018, 08:59 PM
IF Celtic win. As I’ve said. A Rangers win tonight left it in our hands, with a chance of 1 win getting 3rd.

You also said that a draw tomorrow means we can’t catch The Rangers

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:01 PM
They may play some reserves yeah - the likes of Armstrong, Griffiths and Patrick Roberts. Aberdeen have a terrible record there - it’s unlikely they’ll get anything

The point I’m making, which for some reason people can’t see, that if we lose tomorrow, Sunday’s game is irrelevant. We’d be 4th, & relying on Celtic winning the cup to get into Europe.

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:02 PM
You also said that a draw tomorrow means we can’t catch The Rangers

As I said, I thought we were 3 behind before tonight.

EH54
08-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Win two games we get 2nd I even think a draw against Hearts and win against Rangers will be enough for 2nd too... If we don't get anything tomorrow we don't deserve it.

HibbyAndy
08-05-2018, 09:03 PM
The point I’m making, which for some reason people can’t see, that if we lose tomorrow, Sunday’s game is irrelevant. We’d be 4th, & relying on Celtic winning the cup to get into Europe.

But we won't

Monts
08-05-2018, 09:04 PM

We know what your point is, we just don't necessarily agree that it would've been the best result for us. Your best result means we are less likely to finish 4th. Others think the best result sees us more likely to finish 2nd.

Tyler Durden
08-05-2018, 09:05 PM

I think most people would’ve accepted that a loss tomorrow makes anything other than 4th unlikely.

Most people aren’t entertaining the thought of losing though, rightly or wrongly.

Bring on the Jambos! Let’s do them and worry about league positions afterwards

j'adore hibs
08-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Let’s just go for 2 victories ggtth

Speedy
08-05-2018, 09:08 PM
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Hearts now know that a draw doesn't end our season. They need to go out to win to really spoil our party, that could help us.

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:13 PM
We know what your point is, we just don't necessarily agree that it would've been the best result for us. Your best result means we are less likely to finish 4th. Others think the best result sees us more likely to finish 2nd.

My reason being that whatever the result tomorrow, we would definitely have something to play for on Sunday. Now 6 points doesn’t guarantee us 2nd place. We have a great chance of winning both games, but don’t kid ourselves, it’ll be very tough to do so.

Monts
08-05-2018, 09:16 PM
My reason being that whatever the result tomorrow, we would definitely have something to play for on Sunday. Now 6 points doesn’t guarantee us 2nd place. We have a great chance of winning both games, but don’t kid ourselves, it’ll be very tough to do so.

In your scenario a draw tomorrow would see second ruled out. In this scenario it doesn't.

bingo70
08-05-2018, 09:19 PM
But we won't

Nobody knows that.

I’m not trying to piss on your chips here, I think we’ll get at least a draw but ignoring one of three possible outcomes doesn’t mean it’s not a possibility and recognising it as a possibility doesn’t make you defeatist.

I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense but I don’t mind I’m ****ing my pants already here.

Don’t think I’ll be sleeping much tonight!

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:20 PM
In your scenario a draw tomorrow would see second ruled out. In this scenario it doesn't.

But 6 points also doesn’t guarantee 2nd. Just my preference. Prefer it in our own hands, with a chance of 3rd whatever happens tomorrow. Copenhagen was a fantastic experience. Wouldn’t mind another trip abroad. 🙏

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Nobody knows that.

I’m not trying to piss on your chips here, I think we’ll get at least a draw but ignoring one of three possible outcomes doesn’t mean it’s not a possibility and recognising it as a possibility doesn’t make you defeatist.

I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense but I don’t mind I’m ****ing my pants already here.

Don’t think I’ll be sleeping much tonight!

:agree: A draw tomorrow is fine for us. We need to beat Rangers (and hope Celtic beat Aberdeen) no matter if we win or draw tomorrow.

Liberal Hibby
08-05-2018, 09:23 PM
:agree: A draw tomorrow is fine for us. We need to beat Rangers (and hope Celtic beat Aberdeen) no matter if we win or draw tomorrow.

A draw and a win gets us above Rangers - if Aberdeen get a point it three they will be second (unless we stuff the Huns). I think!

DstN75
08-05-2018, 09:28 PM
In purely mathematical terms a draw is surely better if our goal is to finish second above all else.

What's more likely? Aberdeen beating Celtic or us dropping points at Hearts? Clearly the latter, and we've swapped one for the other.

Mellow Hibee
08-05-2018, 09:31 PM

But if we win tomorrow then a draw against Rangers will give us 3rd if Aberdeen lose to Celtic. (I think)

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:31 PM
In purely mathematical terms a draw is surely better if our goal is to finish second above all else.

What's more likely? Aberdeen beating Celtic or us dropping points at Hearts? Clearly the latter, and we've swapped one for the other.

Hypothetically your right, mathematically, I’m right.

james62
08-05-2018, 09:36 PM
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Hearts now know that a draw doesn't end our season. They need to go out to win to really spoil our party, that could help us.

I immediately thought of this as well, I would imagine that Levein has spent the past few weeks plotting a 0-0 draw to damage us. Now he knows he will have to go for the win which could play right into our hands.

one day maybe...
08-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Aberdeen win was the best result for us tonight. Giving us two bites at the cherry. Now unless we get a point tomorrow the likely hood is we will finish 4th. I can’t see us pumping the huns 8-0

CropleyWasGod
08-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Aberdeen win was the best result for us tonight. Giving us two bites at the cherry. Now unless we get a point tomorrow the likely hood is we will finish 4th. I can’t see us pumping the huns 8-0

An Aberdeen win would have put them 6 points ahead of us.

Not sure how that would have been best.

Mellow Hibee
08-05-2018, 09:42 PM

The 2nd bite would be third place though. I think a draw and a win is achievable and I think it'll get 2nd place. Worth the gamble IMO.

GlesgaeHibby
08-05-2018, 09:43 PM

4 or 5-0 would do it.

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2018, 09:43 PM
But if we win tomorrow then a draw against Rangers will give us 3rd if Aberdeen lose to Celtic. (I think)

If that happens we’re all on 70 points so all down to goal difference and Rangers are miles ahead on that front.

DstN75
08-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Hypothetically your right, mathematically, I’m right.

Mathematically the chance of coming second was definitely increased by that result. But as I say the whole scenario depends on what weighting you put on outcomes other than coming second.

Frazerbob
08-05-2018, 09:45 PM
In summary, the draw was the best result in our quest for 2nd. A winner tonight would’ve been the best result in our quest for 3rd. I don’t know about anyone else but I want to finish 2nd. I’ll take my chances tomorrow that a win for them will render Sunday a damp squib.

Mellow Hibee
08-05-2018, 09:46 PM
If that happens we’re all on 70 points so all down to goal difference and Rangers are miles ahead on that front.

Yes but we'd be ahead of Aberdeen though.

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Yes but we'd be ahead of Aberdeen though.

:agree:

B.H.F.C
08-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Just don’t do anything daft tomorrow. Just do not lose.

Forgetting about second place for a minute, we have European qualification completely in our own hands. Can’t ask for much more than that.

munchar
08-05-2018, 09:49 PM
In summary, the draw was the best result in our quest for 2nd. A winner tonight would’ve been the best result in our quest for 3rd. I don’t know about anyone else but I want to finish 2nd. I’ll take my chances tomorrow that a win for them will render Sunday a damp squib.

Ach, lets just skelp the 2 of they reprobates, enjoy doing so, & see where we finish. GGTTH
⚽️🇳🇬💚

Eyrie
08-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Ach, lets just skelp the 2 of they reprobates, enjoy doing so, & see where we finish. GGTTH
⚽️🇳🇬💚

Works for me.

Rocky
08-05-2018, 10:07 PM

That's a very good point - hopefully they'll come at us and get their ***** well and truly handed to them

DstN75
08-05-2018, 10:09 PM
⚽️🇳🇬💚

Quite right :rockin:

vahibbie
08-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Hearts and Huns are both there for the taking. Quietly confident :aok:

Andy Bee
08-05-2018, 10:22 PM
I couldn't care less about all the permutations, there's only one result that's important and that's battering the Yams tomorrow, not for bragging rights as we've proved ourselves already throughout the season (20 points back) it's simply another 3 points to add to our tally. If Aberdeen manage to scrape points from Parkhead then fairplay to them they probably deserve 2nd place. I just hope that everyone recognises what a fantastic first season back we've had no matter what the outcome. GGTTH :flag:

andybev1
08-05-2018, 10:36 PM
I think that is all but cleared up then. :aok:

Monts
08-05-2018, 11:02 PM
⚽️🇳🇬💚

:aok: couldn't agree more

monktonharp
08-05-2018, 11:27 PM
I couldn't care less about all the permutations, there's only one result that's important and that's battering the Yams tomorrow, not for bragging rights as we've proved ourselves already throughout the season (20 points back) it's simply another 3 points to add to our tally. If Aberdeen manage to scrape points from Parkhead then fairplay to them they probably deserve 2nd place. I just hope that everyone recognises what a fantastic first season back we've had no matter what the outcome. GGTTH :flag:with you on this. I often enjoy beating that gorgie mob. besides, if we do, it sets us up for a possible perfect day by wiping the flair wi' the govan goats on Sunday. :cb don't fancy Aberdeen's xhances of winning 3 points at Celtic park but they could come out ultra defensive hoping for a point. all depends on what we do tonight though and our fans will sing throughout this one.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2018, 05:32 AM
4 or 5-0 would do it.

If we needed a big win against the Thes on Sunday then 4-0 wouldn't do it (as we'd already have lost to Hearts). :nerd:

JimBHibees
09-05-2018, 05:37 AM
I couldn't care less about all the permutations, there's only one result that's important and that's battering the Yams tomorrow, not for bragging rights as we've proved ourselves already throughout the season (20 points back) it's simply another 3 points to add to our tally. If Aberdeen manage to scrape points from Parkhead then fairplay to them they probably deserve 2nd place. I just hope that everyone recognises what a fantastic first season back we've had no matter what the outcome. GGTTH :flag:

Totally agree. Let's do this. :flag:

Sir David Gray
09-05-2018, 05:56 AM
If we needed a big win against the Thes on Sunday then 4-0 wouldn't do it (as we'd already have lost to Hearts). :nerd:

Correct.

If we lose tonight we'll need to win at least 6-0 on Sunday to finish 3rd.

ian cruise
09-05-2018, 06:42 AM

I still see them playing for a draw and hoping other results go our way. That one freak result against Celtic aside I just don't think they have it in them to go out and try play football, it's been coached out of them.

I should add, I don't think that's a massive problem. It will be frustrating but we're good enough to beat them and take this to the wire.