PDA

View Full Version : Women’s Football

Colr
06-05-2018, 05:56 PM
137 years ago tomorrow (7th May) the first ever organised women’s game of football was played at Hibernian Park, Easter Road.

brog
06-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Can you expand? First in Scotland/UK? Another Hibs 1st?

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 06:24 PM
It's not for me. Yes there are some good players but I watched about half an hour of the Arsenal v Chelsea Wimmens Cup Final on the tellybox and I don't think there was even one tackle made.

Ozymandias
06-05-2018, 08:30 PM
It's not for me. Yes there are some good players but I watched about half an hour of the Arsenal v Chelsea Wimmens Cup Final on the tellybox and I don't think there was even one tackle made.

Wimmins?
As has been said on many threads in the past if its nor for you fine, dont comment with cheap-shot patronising

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-05-2018, 08:35 PM

Well if some of the tackles that were put in today at Tynie are any example, then perhaps that is not so bad.

Saturday Boy
06-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Can you expand? First in Scotland/UK? Another Hibs 1st?

There’s an interesting article on the Historical Trust website.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/historic-matches/the-worlds-first-womens-international-football-match?highlight=WyJ3b21lbidzIiwid29tZW4iLCJ3b21lbi dzZ2FtZSIsImZvb3RiYWxsIiwiJ2Zvb3RiYWxsIiwiZm9vdGJh bGwncyIsImZvb3RiYWxsJy4iLCJ3b21lbidzIGZvb3RiYWxsIl 0=

Apologies for the non hyperlink . It’s a step too far on my phone.

brog
06-05-2018, 09:22 PM
There’s an interesting article on the Historical Trust website.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/historic-matches/the-worlds-first-womens-international-football-match?highlight=WyJ3b21lbidzIiwid29tZW4iLCJ3b21lbi dzZ2FtZSIsImZvb3RiYWxsIiwiJ2Zvb3RiYWxsIiwiZm9vdGJh bGwncyIsImZvb3RiYWxsJy4iLCJ3b21lbidzIGZvb3RiYWxsIl 0=

Apologies for the non hyperlink . It’s a step too far on my phone.

OK, got it ta, interesting as you say.

IGRIGI
06-05-2018, 09:25 PM

Now now, in today's society anything less than describing women's football as akin to Brazil 1970 is worthy of time behind bars.

Ozymandias
06-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Now now, in today's society anything less than describing women's football as akin to Brazil 1970 is worthy of time behind bars.

Behave yourself. In today's society it is entirely permissible to post stuff that portrays you as an utter tool. No need for you to take advantage of that right.
If you dont like it fine, just dont bother to comment crass bollox.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Is it only on womens football threads that you feel the need to pull people up for what you perceive to be negative posts or are you going to start doing it on every thread?

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Behave yourself. In today's society it is entirely permissible to post stuff that portrays you as an utter tool. No need for you to take advantage of that right.
If you dont like it fine, just dont bother to comment crass bollox.

To be fair it looks like you've taken advantage of it too. Is there really any need for such responses?

hibbyfraelibby
07-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Women's football and Brazilians? I saw what you did there. Very subliminal and sexist. Be ashamed of yourself.

Malthibby
07-05-2018, 05:44 PM
The thread was making an interesting observation of a date emphasising another first for the Hibees.
Can't we just be happy with that?
I like women's footie in its own right and I like the fact the the Hibs team is adding to the feel good factor which is around the club
with their double double (& hopefully counting). They bring in additional interest to the club & creates interest in all things Hibs, rather
than remaining the preserve of a bunch of hairy arsed blokes. And yes, my arse is hairy.
It's 2018 chaps, Paw Broon is deid.
GG

iwasthere1972
07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
The thread was making an interesting observation of a date emphasising another first for the Hibees.
Can't we just be happy with that?
I like women's footie in its own right and I like the fact the the Hibs team is adding to the feel good factor which is around the club
with their double double (& hopefully counting). They bring in additional interest to the club & creates interest in all things Hibs, rather
than remaining the preserve of a bunch of hairy arsed blokes. And yes, my arse is hairy.
It's 2018 chaps, Paw Broon is deid.
GG

Paw Broon died? When did that happen?

Brightside
07-05-2018, 05:52 PM
To be fair it looks like you've taken advantage of it too. Is there really any need for such responses?

Plenty need whilst the usual suspects post the usual drivel. If people have no interest in it thats fine..they dont have to repeat the same old piyesh every time the womens game is mentioned. Pity their daughters if they have any.

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 06:10 PM
What’s amazing is that this match ever took place. The attitude to women playing sports was unbelievably hostile at that time.

Keith_M
07-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Jeez, a perfectly innocent, fairly informative and certainly Hibs relevant post and the thread is polluted with insults already.

:rolleyes:

Keith_M
07-05-2018, 06:23 PM
What’s amazing is that this match ever took place. The attitude to women playing sports was unbelievably hostile at that time.

I believe our very own Johnnyboy lead a protest outside the ground.

Anyway, another first for Hibs

:greengrin

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 06:27 PM
I believe our very own Johnnyboy lead a protest outside the ground.

Anyway, another first for Hibs

Clearly you’ve not read his books. He managed the hibs ladies team.

Saturday Boy
07-05-2018, 06:31 PM

As an indication of how times have changed, last Wednesday I watched Dalkeith Thistle play Whitburn Juniors. There was only one kid in the ground playing with a football, and that was a girl.

wpj
07-05-2018, 06:34 PM

As Johnnygirl to get past the strict gender rules at the time
On a serious note there has been a lot of media attention to this which as far as I am concerned is a good thing. I take my wee girl to footie every week and she loves it. I would be such a proud dad if she carried on. (Even prouder if she played for Hibs)

Keith_M
07-05-2018, 06:45 PM

Tinribs
07-05-2018, 07:04 PM
That was an interesting article, the game at Easter Road sounded quite civilised..the return match in Glasgow ended in a riot with the ladies being pelted with objects. Not much has changed through there in the last 130 years lol

Saturday Boy
07-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Now that this thread has taken a more positive turn, BBC Alba has confirmed that the League Cup Final will be shown live from the Falkirk Stadium. Hibs v. Celtic, Sunday 20 May kick at 16:10.

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 07:17 PM
On a serious note there has been a lot of media attention to this which as far as I am concerned is a good thing. I take my wee girl to footie every week and she loves it. I would be such a proud dad if she carried on. (Even prouder if she played for Hibs)
Me too mate. I’d be delighted if my daughter played for the hibees.

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Plenty need whilst the usual suspects post the usual drivel. If people have no interest in it thats fine..they dont have to repeat the same old piyesh every time the womens game is mentioned. Pity their daughters if they have any.

Behave, did you read it? No need at all

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
I’ve just enrolled the wee won into the hibs girls training at portobello high school. I asked on Twitter and within five minutes they replied with all the info I needed. Great stuff.

wpj
07-05-2018, 09:49 PM
I’ve just enrolled the wee won into the hibs girls training at portobello high school. I asked on Twitter and within five minutes they replied with all the info I needed. Great stuff.

I'm in Hertfordshire, the local team Royston Town have a fantastic set up all ages genders and levels. The local schools all wear the strip and the public are invited to every game. The class my girl goes to is not connected to "the Crows" but she will be when she starts school provided she wants to carry on.

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 09:57 PM
I'm in Hertfordshire, the local team Royston Town have a fantastic set up all ages genders and levels. The local schools all wear the strip and the public are invited to every game. The class my girl goes to is not connected to "the Crows" but she will be when she starts school provided she wants to carry on.
Good stuff. I’m more excited about the hibs training than the wee one :greengrin

Colr
08-05-2018, 08:14 AM

The rematch in Glasgow ended in a riot!!

Colr
08-05-2018, 08:18 AM
That was an interesting article, the game at Easter Road sounded quite civilised..the return match in Glasgow ended in a riot with the ladies being pelted with objects. Not much has changed through there in the last 130 years lol

The same woman (Helen Graham Matthews) was involved in the first English game in 1895 and toured the country with her team.

The reception was very variable but often hostile. In St Andrews they were met by a delegation at the station and given a civic reception, though.

Interesting characters involved. The brilliantly named Nettie Honeyball and Scottish artistocrat and suffragist, Florence Dixie, whose family were involved in the Queensbury rules for boxing and the downfall of Oscar Wilde.

There’s a film in there somewhere!!

AltheHibby
08-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Another connection to Edinburgh (apart from them lying Edinburgh Ladies) :

"The Dick, Kerr Ladies team consisting of eleven factory workers from Preston"

Dick, Kerr built trams for Edinburgh.