PDA

View Full Version : Hearts' 'guard of honour'

G B Young
06-05-2018, 05:27 PM
I know there was some debate about this before today's game against Celtic with most Hearts fans saying they shouldn't give Celtic a guard of honour. Judging by this footage what appears to have been agreed is that the Hearts players would form a couple of lines but refuse to applaud (except the goalkeeper)?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPf-Oc_jaJs

A strange 'compromise'. Either have a guard of honour or don't. IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.

Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half full.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Guards of honour are a nonsense, but they should just have not done one, rather than this half-arsed effort.

Lancs Harp
06-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Guards of honour are a nonsense, but they should just have not done one, rather than this half-arsed effort.

Agreed.

Steven79
06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
I know there was some debate about this before today's game against Celtic with most Hearts fans saying they shouldn't give Celtic a guard of honour. Judging by this footage what appears to have been agreed is that the Hearts players would form a couple of lines but refuse to applaud (except the goalkeeper)?!

A strange 'compromise'. Either have a guard of honour or don't. IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.

Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half full.

I checked last night and they had plenty of seats still for sale.

SirDavidsNapper
06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Strange. I thought the clap was rife down Gorgie way

Hibs Class
06-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Hearts class on show.

emerald green
06-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Farcical.

Baader
06-05-2018, 07:17 PM
The reason we didn't give them a guard of honour is because they'd already played someone else after winning the Championship. Guard of Honour is given first match after a team wins the league. Not every match after it. The Gorgie mob didn't seem to understand that.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Hearts, the charity thieves and honour in the same sentence, not for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
06-05-2018, 07:23 PM

They are a nonsense. Teams who potentially still have something to play for having to stop before the game and fawn over the team that won the league. Just get on with the game and let both teams concentrate on that.

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-05-2018, 07:29 PM
This is the kind of sh**e that lets our game down in general.

They’ve won the league, just give them it, give them a clap and go out and try to beat them.

I don’t get it. Coming from a rugby playing background we’ve a lot to learn to try and bring some maturity to our game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andybev1
06-05-2018, 07:38 PM
as much as I dislike him I did see naismith clapping them

Carheenlea
06-05-2018, 07:39 PM
We never really heard that much about guard of honours prior to Hearts winning the championship then demanding they got one every week. They used to happen without any fuss. Not Hearts though - bad losers, even worse winners.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 07:41 PM
As bad as all this handshaking that goes on pre match. Whatever next. Wine and flowers? Just get on with it.

Just Alf
06-05-2018, 07:55 PM
As bad as all this handshaking that goes on pre match. Whatever next. Wine and flowers? Just get on with it.Murty got it wrong!... A few "congrats" and hand shakes as the guys came up the tunnel at the end of the game.... Que a "come here a sec" from a couple of directors.... Some loud words heard by all and sundry.... and the rest is history

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HibernianJK
06-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Have gusts of honours always been a thing? Seems like something that only came in last 10 years or so. Don’t see the point to be honest.

Onion
06-05-2018, 11:35 PM
IMO either show due respect and congratulate, or just do nothing. Standing there looking like they'd sooner be anywhere else is just insulting and behaviour of small-minded, petty people. How unlike a Hearts team !

Pete
06-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Piece of nonsense and needs binned, especially in Scotland where there’s more to certain rivalries than meets the eye.

Centre Hawf
06-05-2018, 11:56 PM
This is the kind of sh**e that lets our game down in general.

They’ve won the league, just give them it, give them a clap and go out and try to beat them.

I don’t get it. Coming from a rugby playing background we’ve a lot to learn to try and bring some maturity to our game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nout to do with “maturity” its just cringey. I dont expect anyone to wet themselves over us when we win something same goes the opposite way. Also if Rugby is an example of a mature sport then I’d hate to see an immature one.

HibsNutter
06-05-2018, 11:59 PM
Why should we have given Hearts and Rangers a guard of honour for winning a second tier title?

wpj
07-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Lots of the "power stance" on display there. Just not in the performance

NZ Green
07-05-2018, 03:35 AM
IIRC we didn't give them one when they won the Championship but I may be wrong.
Did they not get one already? I think Rangers gave them one then they wanted one from us too.

Hibby70
07-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Oh, and not a chance there were 19k at the game today. Lucky if that main stand was half built.

Ftfy

JimBHibees
07-05-2018, 07:05 AM
IMO either show due respect and congratulate, or just do nothing. Standing there looking like they'd sooner be anywhere else is just insulting and behaviour of small-minded, petty people. How unlike a Hearts team !

Spot on embarrassing not clapping so they can ingratiate themselves to their moronic fans. How very Levein.

green day
07-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Tin hat on, I dont see the issue at Tynie - if it was the Huns coming to ER, I wouldnt want us to give them anything more than Hearts gave Celtic yesterday.

Broader issue - Guards of Honour are pish and shouldnt be any part of our game.

PeeJay
07-05-2018, 07:50 AM
I don't really see the problem in congratulating the winners of a sporting competition - sporting integrity, fair play - respect for the achievements of your opponents - seems part and parcel of the game to me ... think this reflects badly on Hearts myself ... like to think we would behave in a more sporting manner

JimBHibees
07-05-2018, 07:54 AM
I don't really see the problem in congratulating the winners of a sporting competition - sporting integrity, fair play - respect for the achievements of your opponents - seems part and parcel of the game to me ... think this reflects badly on Hearts myself ... like to think we would behave in a more sporting manner

Totally agree just general sporting behaviour then try your hardest to beat them. Just playing to the crowd with the half hearted effort.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Have gusts of honours always been a thing? Seems like something that only came in last 10 years or so. Don’t see the point to be honest.

Its got a lot windier in the last few years though.

danhibees1875
07-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Its got a lot windier in the last few years though.

Storm in a tea cup if you ask me.

Bostonhibby
07-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Storm in a tea cup if you ask me.Futile gesture, farting against the wind if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-05-2018, 05:38 PM
With the amount of red hands on show you would think that they had been applauding non stop.

07-05-2018, 05:40 PM

We didn't give them a GOH when they won the championship because we weren't the next game after they won it. They got their GOH from the next team they played. You don't get more than one, they just made a big song and dance about it because it was us and they wanted to get all high and mighty. It was the Championship ffs not the bloody champions league, demanding to be given a GOH multiple times was embarrassing but as per usual with them, anything and everything just to get a one up on hibs.

The whole thing is ridiculous anyway. All for a bit of sportmanship but don't see what all the big fuss over it is. Give one, don't give one, who even cares. Hearts gave the huns one and suddenly thought they had some mighty moral high ground.

SirDavidsNapper
07-05-2018, 06:08 PM
We didn't give them a GOH when they won the championship because we weren't the next game after they won it. They got their GOH from the next team they played. You don't get more than one, they just made a big song and dance about it because it was us and they wanted to get all high and mighty. It was the Championship ffs not the bloody champions league, demanding to be given a GOH multiple times was embarrassing but as per usual with them, anything and everything just to get a one up on hibs.

The whole thing is ridiculous anyway. All for a bit of sportmanship but don't see what all the big fuss over it is. Give one, don't give one, who even cares. Hearts gave the huns one and suddenly thought they had some mighty moral high ground.

Maybe they should give us a guard of honour seeing as we own them in the Premiership.

givescotlandfreedom
07-05-2018, 06:34 PM
There's not a lot of point on going through the pretend respect of a guard of honour before a player stamps on one player's groin and hacks at the ankle of another.