PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Library issues again - fans getting into game today

GreenCastle
06-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Reading online about issues once again at the Pink stadium with fans getting herded into small areas and gates being shut causing crushes.

There is a video of Celtic fans today having similar issues to what we experienced earlier this season. Can someone post link ?

My concern is now for Hibs fans once again on Wednesday - hopefully a fans rep can raise the issue or at least make Hibs aware of the issue again and what happened today.

Springbank
06-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Video

https://twitter.com/carolk23/status/993086756965797888?s=19

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Video

https://twitter.com/carolk23/status/993086756965797888?s=19

Why are they shutting the gates?
Again an issue where a full stand of away fans have to go through that small area

bingo70
06-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Again an issue where a full stand of away fans have to go through that small area

I don’t understand that either? I’ve not been there for years so can’t remember the lay out but what possible benefit could there be to closing the gate?

speedy_gonzales
06-05-2018, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure what folk are expecting here, there's a ridiculous small amount of turnstiles open for the school end, the authorities could just left all 3000 or so fans in and overwhelm the facility, or, they regulate the flow of fans by closing the gate. The large volume of fans are at less of a risk of crush injuries if they're outside on McLeod Street rather than the building site next to the turnstiles.

staunchhibby
06-05-2018, 05:10 PM
I raised my concerns previously to fans reps re last time at Tyncastle and as yet no response

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure what folk are expecting here, there's a ridiculous small amount of turnstiles open for the school end, the authorities could just left all 3000 or so fans in and overwhelm the facility, or, they regulate the flow of fans by closing the gate. The large volume of fans are at less of a risk of crush injuries if they're outside on McLeod Street rather than the building site next to the turnstiles.

Is that not the issue in the 1st place, small access area, and only a handful of turnstiles to get in

LithgaeHibby
06-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Yet more evidence that Tiny is not fit for purpose. The site is too crushed and cannot handle standard ingress / egress. Expect this thread to grow and grow on Wednesday night.

bingo70
06-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Why was the gate open in the first place then?

I don’t understand why letting 3000 fans into that section would overwhelm the facility, would they not just joking the queue? I don’t understand why forcing more people through a smaller area would help things?

As I said though, I’ve never been there for years so don’t mean that in an arse way, just seems a bit strange to me.

Keith_M
06-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Surely the issue is that the entrance to at least two of the Tynecastle Stands is inadequate. Having to close the gates is yet more evidence that it is unsafe, and not fit for purpose.

I'd advise anybody attending this week to arrive as early as possible, as it could take quite some time to get in.

tamig
06-05-2018, 05:34 PM

They did it with us at the midweek game in December. Its a shambles.

Garymcl
06-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Will be arriving early on Wednesday and I advise other hibbys to do likewise :greengrin

GreenCastle
06-05-2018, 05:51 PM
They have 6 turnstiles.

Not sure how many the Famous Five / South Stand has but never seems to be an issue.

It’s been raised before and it still seems Hearts and the local security / police aren’t learning from previous.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 05:53 PM
They did it with us at the midweek game in December. Its a shambles.

I was there that night. Inadequate lighting, dark, icy and freezing too. It's a bottle neck situation and just waiting for an accident to happen. Unsurprisingly, and the pre drinking by some fans wouldn't have helped, there was total disorder and fans wondering why there were the long delays and queue. When you consider that there could be as many as 3K fans trying to gain entry through six unmanned turnstiles in a fifteen minute window that doesn't help. That night I was there a lot of fans didn't know if there was a member of staff at the turnstile who took their ticket or if they had to scan it themselves. It was that dark.

Shambles? Definitely.

06-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Is it just 1 hour before kick off that the gates open?

tamig
06-05-2018, 05:58 PM
I was there that night. Inadequate lighting, dark, icy and freezing too. It's a bottle neck situation and just waiting for an accident to happen. Unsurprisingly, and the pre drinking by some fans wouldn't have helped, there was total disorder and fans wondering why there were the long delays and queue. When you consider that there could be as many as 3K fans trying to gain entry through six unmanned turnstiles in a fifteen minute window that doesn't help. That night I was there a lot of fans didn't know if there was a member of staff at the turnstile who took their ticket or if they had to scan it themselves. It was that dark.

Shambles? Definitely.

The lighting situation was really poor. Randomly placed bollards popping up during the slow walk up that crowded bumpy path didn’t help matters and I heard of a few folk bashing against them. I’m surprised it seems to be no different six months on.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2018, 05:59 PM
It's never been the same since Mrs Doctor Budge declared that ways in and out would now be called vomitariums, or vomitari(?)

Was always terrible down there but never seemed to draw as much attention when they were just plain old turnstiles, entrances and exits. I guess that's what happens when you build unique futuristic structures

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
06-05-2018, 06:00 PM
At least it will be light when we are facing the latest instalment of this farce on Wednesday.

cabbageandribs1875
06-05-2018, 06:01 PM
I raised my concerns previously to fans reps re last time at Tyncastle and as yet no response

best waiting until rep voting time

:)

speedy_gonzales
06-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Is that not the issue in the 1st place, small access area, and only a handful of turnstiles to get in

I think it 100% is the issue, throttling the flow of fans with the gate is one of the ways to manage the crowd.
It happens with other crowds, when the Tattoo is on, Waverley/Haymarket station & Murrayfield tram stop after large events.
Sometimes it's just safer to allow small groups through rather than have a free for all and risk crush injuries.

GlesgaeHibby
06-05-2018, 06:03 PM
If you're going on Wednesday, get there in good time if you want to see kick off. Arrived at 715pm for league last league game there and didn't get in until 5 mins after kick off with plenty more behind me.

Steven79
06-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Is it just 1 hour before kick off that the gates open?

The recent game against Aberdeen at Tynecastle they didn't let the fans into the ground till 2:15 due to a power problem.

It truly is a dump that is a safety issue and at the game in December I had two young kids with me and it wasn't a good situation and they somebody is going to get injured or worse!

jeffers
06-05-2018, 06:07 PM

Shambles? Definitely.

Totally agree, I got there early so wasn't much of a queue but I couldn't believe there was no lighting outside the turnstiles and they'd been issued a safety certificate. 2nd game I got there a wee bit later and it took 15-20 minutes to get in. Maybe I'm spoiled walking into the West stand every game where it takes no more than a minute to get in, but 20 minutes to get into a ground is a farce. What makes me laugh is the commentary during today's game raving about the new stand oh and apparently their 20,000+ capacity.

hibbyfraelibby
06-05-2018, 06:07 PM
They have 6 turnstiles.

Not sure how many the Famous Five / South Stand has but never seems to be an issue.

It’s been raised before and it still seems Hearts and the local security / police aren’t learning from previous.

I think you'll find the Police are unhappy too...remember that leaked letter last year when Cops of Scotland effectively questioned the Council's decision to allow it to be used and washed their hands of all responsibility if things went wrong.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 06:10 PM
We could have a book on what problem will surface on Wednesday.

Turnstile scanning issues
Outside lighting or lack of it
Power failure
Floodlight failure
No hot water in bogs
Cold chips
Filthy seats
The smell

Feel free to add to list as I'm sure that I haven't covered everything.

speedy_gonzales
06-05-2018, 06:16 PM
When you consider that there could be as many as 3K fans trying to gain entry through six unmanned turnstiles in a fifteen minute window that doesn't help.
Obviously some fans arrive a lot earlier and probably as many come late, but, fag packet maths suggests you'd need a throughput of one fan through the automated turnstile every 2 seconds,,,, that can't be right, can it?

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Obviously some fans arrive a lot earlier and probably as many come late, but, fag packet maths suggests you'd need a throughput of one fan through the automated turnstile every 2 seconds,,,, that can't be right, can it?

That's why lots of them get in 10 or 15 minutes late. You only have to look at stands on the telly fifteen minutes before kick off to see for yourself that most of the seats are empty. The majority are probably still in the pub or getting a steak bake from Greggs.

Carheenlea
06-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Have Hearts done anything at all to address this issue following similar situations and concerns from police previously?
I`ll definitely be down earlier than I would normally be to access a football ground on Wednesday.

GreenCastle
06-05-2018, 06:48 PM
We could have a book on what problem will surface on Wednesday.

Turnstile scanning issues
Outside lighting or lack of it
Power failure
Floodlight failure
No hot water in bogs
Cold chips
Filthy seats
The smell

Feel free to add to list as I'm sure that I haven't covered everything.

I forgot about the seat numbers last time

Something like...

10, 11, 14, 12, 14, 15 in a row

I have a picture too - shambles FC

iwasthere1972
06-05-2018, 06:55 PM
I forgot about the seat numbers last time

Something like...

10, 11, 14, 12, 14, 15 in a row

I have a picture too - shambles FC

I remember seeing that too.

SChibs
06-05-2018, 10:50 PM
3800 folk in 4 turnstiles is 950 in each one.

Each person takes 5 seconds to get through equals 79 mins.

I'm not sure how everyone gets in on time looking at it like that

InchHibby
07-05-2018, 06:29 AM
I can understand the closure of one of the gates to restrict the numbers in the turnstile area, but this is an accident waiting to happen. I watched the video of them closing one of the gates when the fans had already started piling in. One time they will forget to close the gate. This problem shouldn’t have to be a problem, it should have been sorted during the upgrade, these turnstiles are the originals, new ones should have been installed face on with the gates, eliminating most of the problem.

GreenCastle
07-05-2018, 07:05 AM
I can understand the closure of one of the gates to restrict the numbers in the turnstile area, but this is an accident waiting to happen. I watched the video of them closing one of the gates when the fans had already started piling in. One time they will forget to close the gate. This problem shouldn’t have to be a problem, it should have been sorted during the upgrade, these turnstiles are the originals, new ones should have been installed face on with the gates, eliminating most of the problem.

There is no club in Scotland who shuts a gate like that to manage the queue.

These turnstiles are new and there is 6 of them not 4.

Hearts made a mistake with some of the new turnstiles in the new main stand and ended up changing the way they faced to make it easier to get access.

But they have similar issues with the Wheatfield stand - lack of turnstiles plus the exiting of that stand is a death trap with so many fans going in same direction and down some steep slippy stairs or round to the gorgie end.

The Home fans can sometimes enter from any turnstile but the stadium still isn’t fit for purpose and the Away end is really poorly designed.

My advice would be arrive early on Wednesday night to get behind the players from the warm up.

BoomtownHibees
07-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Celtc only had half the stand so nowhere close to 3000 trying to get in

Oscar T Grouch
07-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Celtc only had half the stand so nowhere close to 3000 trying to get in

They had the full stand.

https://youtu.be/rHIcHp5kcsE

Jones28
07-05-2018, 09:07 AM

While the fan reps are here for a reason I think this sort of concern should go straight to the clubs and police.

andybev1
07-05-2018, 09:20 AM
No one was running in there and no one was panicking or causing panic, so I do not see how they could not have let the gate stay open and stood in a line/ put up their arms to get peoples attention, while shouting to the people to explain that they woud have to wait there for a few minutes as there was a shortage or turstiles and groups would have to stagger entry to the ground.

The problem arises when treating people like mindless cattle and losing any communication and goodwill. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

McSwanky
07-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Footage doesn't really show anything dangerous IMO. BUT.... (and once again I'm sounding like a broken record)

There are still major problems with Tynecastle if an evacuation situation occurs. As I keep saying, if there was an incident requiring a quick evacuation of part or all of the stadium, you're looking at a potential disaster with multiple injuries and quite probably deaths. The place remains a massive risk to anyone that chooses to go there.

BoomtownHibees
07-05-2018, 10:45 AM
They had the full stand.

https://youtu.be/rHIcHp5kcsE

So they did. Must have been an old pic I seen

Aldo
07-05-2018, 10:58 AM
The closing of the gate caused more issues than leaving it open. They caused a bottle neck and they could potentially have caused crushing.

They could easily have it set up so folk are filtered into the area but no the big gate his just forced closed with little or no thought fir those about to enter.

I thought the Scottish Government were taking an interest in the goings on down Tiny way?

Another example of poor planning from the off.

Glad no one was hurt but this could have had serious implications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichelleHibs
07-05-2018, 11:07 AM

then it would be a crush problem getting out?!! the whole thing should just have been bulldozed!! :greengrin:flag:

Pretty Boy
07-05-2018, 11:23 AM
The game in December was quite frightening. No external lighting to speak off and thousands of fans kettled onto the pavement and then into that fenced off area.

There's no way that set of turnstiles should be deemee adequate yet the club, Police and council don't want to know.

Itsnoteasy
07-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Let's just do what we done in late 80's when we got locked in at Oldham. Just kept swaying & the 10ft gates came crashing to the ground.

silverhibee
07-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Good to see that the press are highlighting this problem.