PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers criticises state of Tynecastle Pitch.

Keith_M
06-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Embarrassing (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-calls-tynecastle-pitch-embarrassing-1-4735567) was the word he used.

Apparently they even let the grass grow too long to try to stop the other teams being able to play.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Embarrassing (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-calls-tynecastle-pitch-embarrassing-1-4735567) was the word he used.

Apparently they even let the grass grow too long to try to stop the other teams being able to play.

Must be a song in this for Wednesday

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Home team try to gain advantage by preparing their own pitch as they want it! Rodgers is a moaning Dick.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2018, 04:22 PM
The length of the grass at tinpot park has always been a factor in why they prefer to sign very tall players.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SChibs
06-05-2018, 04:25 PM
It's more embarrassing that they feel the need to alter the pitch to get a result as they are so bad. Hibs kept the pitch short and watered it which obviously suits Celtic but we were confident in our ability to beat them

Arch Stanton
06-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Must be a song in this for Wednesday

Yep - perhaps along the lines of -

As I awake and look around me and see the four sh*t stands that surrround me
I realise, I was only there at Tynie
Oh there is Budge and there's a sad ol Levein
On and on we'll sleep till full-time
As we play upon the long long grass in Gorgie

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Yep - perhaps along the lines of -

As I awake and look around me and see the four sh*t stands that surrround me
I realise, I was only there at Tynie
Oh there is Budge and there's a sad ol Levein
On and on we'll sleep till full-time
As we play upon the long long grass in Gorgie

Wish I hadn't asked🤣

Arch Stanton
06-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Wish I hadn't asked🤣

Can't take it back now. :greengrin

calumhibee1
06-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Home team try to gain advantage by preparing their own pitch as they want it! Rodgers is a moaning Dick.

They’re entitled to do it, but the pitch is a farce. Between how embarrassingly small it is and the fact they keep the grass long they are trying every trick in the book to try and stop a football match breaking out.

jacomo
06-05-2018, 04:44 PM

Hey he’s one of your own isn’t he?

And Rodgers has a point - Tynecastle pitch is poor.

Ozyhibby
06-05-2018, 05:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/2872613431c64efdc5dec5b49fb34d33.jpg
Scott Sinclair’s goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Hey he’s one of your own isn’t he?

And Rodgers has a point - Tynecastle pitch is poor.

He's not one of my own, moaning git.

IGRIGI
06-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Scott Sinclair’s goal.

😂😂

bingo70
06-05-2018, 05:16 PM

I think that’s fair enough when it comes to how much you water it but having the length of the grass too long is a bit different. It should be a standard requirement and if it’s too long the spfl should insist on it being cut again.

You can’t standardise how dry it is but the length of the grass could be, I’m sure we’ve all played on a pitch with grass too long at some point and it makes it impossible.

I never saw the game today so can’t say how bad it was though.

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2018, 05:21 PM
I think that’s fair enough when it comes to how much you water it but having the length of the grass too long is a bit different. It should be a standard requirement and if it’s too long the spfl should insist on it being cut again.

You can’t standardise how dry it is but the length of the grass could be, I’m sure we’ve all played on a pitch with grass too long at some point and it makes it impossible.

Nothing wrong with it, they could still play football on it. More than entitled to adjust your own pitch to gain an advantage as long as it's within the rules.

RyeSloan
06-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Nothing wrong with it, they could still play football on it. More than entitled to adjust your own pitch to gain an advantage as long as it's within the rules.

It’s kind of low though and just a wee bit desperate.

All players should be given as good a playing surface as possible in a professional sport.

Keith_M
06-05-2018, 05:26 PM
He's not one of my own, moaning git.

Moaning git... Scouse git.

Not much difference.

Sioux
06-05-2018, 05:28 PM
The reason the grass is long is to suit the hoofball style. When the ball comes down in disnae bounce so high :greengrin

Golden Bear
06-05-2018, 05:28 PM
There are plenty of teams who play on pitches with no grass during the winter months!

Piggery Park is a place I refuse to go but as a matter of interest is the playing surface that much smaller than ER or for that matter any of the other better Clubs?

calumhibee1
06-05-2018, 05:30 PM
There are plenty of teams who play on pitches with no grass during the winter months!

Piggery Park is a place I refuse to go but as a matter of interest is the playing surface that much smaller than ER or for that matter any of the other better Clubs?

It’s 5m shorter and 4m narrower than ER. It equates to a full 18 yard box and then some smaller area wise.

Keith_M
06-05-2018, 05:35 PM

It’s 5m shorter and 4m narrower than ER. It equates to a full 18 yard box and then some smaller area wise.

In other words, yes it is.

:greengrin

G B Young
06-05-2018, 05:42 PM

He sounds fair-minded enough about it, just saying it's not conducive to football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNi_cAnsYjI

Whatever, it didn't do Hearts much good.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Rodgers is a knob. Madrid have been known to mess with the pitch ahead of el classico because of Barca's superior passing game.

Any advantage we can get over the opposition I'd expect us to take

It nearly benefited his side in the first half after a ball over the top fell kindly to dembele after an awkward bounce for Souttar but he hit the roof of the net with his shot

hibbyfraelibby
06-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Alloa did the same with their plastic pitch. Narrowed it significantly in our first season down.

06-05-2018, 06:40 PM
They are entitled to set up their pitch as sh*te as possible to match their sh*te type of "football" but equally the opposition are entitled to say the pitch is sh*te and fits with their "style".

sadtom
06-05-2018, 06:43 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44024435

Football captain admits football club make football pitch unsuitable for football.

Stay classy Hawrts.

calumhibee1
06-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Football captain admits football club make football pitch unsuitable for football.

Stay classy Hawrts.

Must be utterly depressing having a season ticket for a team who are so open about the fact they avoid playing football at all costs.

sadtom
06-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Must be utterly depressing having a season ticket for a team who are so open about the fact they avoid playing football at all costs.

Indeed.
Some might say it 'beggars belief'. ;-)

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 06:52 PM

Got a £1m hybrid pitch coming soon though!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-05-2018, 06:55 PM
In other words, yes it is.

:greengrin

740 sq meteres i think. A fair amount.

Clerie Green
06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
I’m nearly quite surely certain, I think that Hamilton and Kilmarnock do the same with their pitches maybe !

:aok:

06-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Stay classy Hawrts.

Yet Levein says he doesn't have a clue why they are so bad away compared to home.

emerald green
06-05-2018, 07:12 PM

What are the rules on this?

AltheHibby
06-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Yet Levein says he doesn't have a clue why they are so bad away compared to home.

Excellent point. CL and playing away from home are not a good combination in more ways than one! 😋

Billy Whizz
06-05-2018, 07:39 PM

It’s not a new thing, remember Dens 86

weecounty hibby
06-05-2018, 07:42 PM
It's what all wee clubs like Alloa do when playing superior opposition. Arse about with the pitch to try to gain any kind of advantage. What? It's hearts that did it. But they are massive and huge with a team of players that would all get into our side, apparently. Fuds

Zazu62
06-05-2018, 07:45 PM
They will just end up injuring their young galacticos

Carheenlea
06-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Tricking up the pitch to put your visitors at a disadvantage is within the rules, but an utterly embarrassing tactic to afopt from a club who claim to be the “third biggest club in Scotland “

Pagan Hibernia
06-05-2018, 10:18 PM
The length of the grass is the least of the problems with that pitch

Galahibby
07-05-2018, 12:03 AM

Stay classy Hawrts.

"You're not going to have it nice and slick for Celtic with their top players. At the moment, we're not at a place to be competing with Celtic at that level."

So it'll be interesting to see if it's cut for Wednesday then, or will they just leave it as it is and basically admit they're not at a place to be competing with us at that level either? :devil:

joebakerforever
07-05-2018, 12:13 AM
A few remote controlled moles will be planted on their pitch ahead of Wednesday which will be activated when necessary to ensure that any potential threat is nullified by the ball being subjected to an unexpected bobble:wink:

07-05-2018, 01:12 AM
"You're not going to have it nice and slick for Celtic with their top players. At the moment, we're not at a place to be competing with Celtic at that level."

So it'll be interesting to see if it's cut for Wednesday then, or will they just leave it as it is and basically admit they're not at a place to be competing with us at that level either? :devil:

Surely not. We've only got 2 players good enough to make their team so they're bound to want the pitch in tip top condition for playing football, not dirty bassas hooffball.

mjhibby
07-05-2018, 03:00 AM

Is there a set figure for how short the grass should be. Presumably it states that the pitch must be playable. Strange it's long as all the public parks are low on grass due to v the dry weather. Maybe cutbacks meant they couldn't afford to rent a large lawn mower. They just don't realise that outside their wee bubble most fans think they are a joke of a club.

NZ Green
07-05-2018, 03:09 AM
Got a £1m hybrid pitch coming soon though!
Thats what surprised me, Tynecastle has always been a poor surface to play on, even when it looked alright for once yesterday, they decide to grow the grass longer to compensate. A new hybrid pitch means a better playing surface, I think they're home and away form might take a hit next season.

neil7908
07-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Potter up to his tried and tested by declaring Souttar and Lafferty both doubtful for Wednesday. Apparently the long grass isn't enough and he now has to wage a viscous psychological mind game against us by declaring key players injured only to see them recover miraculously in time.

GreenCastle
07-05-2018, 07:17 AM
What are the rules on this?

Might be on the SFA website ?

For the champions league and English Premiership there is a specific length.

Even in the English Premiership you must cut the grass in a certain direction. This was a new rule introduced this season.

I can’t remember the last derby at the tiny Library when we actually played on a good surface ???

The new pitch will definitely suit opposition teams but remember it’s still like a different sport playing on that pitch - so small and lack of space.

SirDavidsNapper
07-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Desperate by Hearts. More interested in putting another team off their game than improving their own. Sums them up really.

Future17
07-05-2018, 08:27 AM
a viscous psychological mind game

I think he'll come unstuck with that approach.

PatHead
07-05-2018, 08:55 AM
The last time Hearts pulled a similar stunt was when they got their match postponed by flooding the pitch just before a cup tie against us. Worked well, they got a 2-2 draw and a money spinning replay.

G B Young
07-05-2018, 12:14 PM
I notice at the end of the Scotsman story on this today that Rodgers also mentions that Celtic were told 'the pipes were broken' when they asked why there was no water!?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/celtic-manager-brendan-rodgers-slams-hearts-gamesmanship-1-4735697

Phil MaGlass
07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Its the same with Killies excuse for a pitch they gain an unfair advantage by not watering it and the ball bounces the wrong way, although the hertz way is different, they dont have the quality or skilled players to play fitba so they try to gain an advantage by letting the grass grow. Killie should be pulled up for their pitch.

lord bunberry
07-05-2018, 03:04 PM
The last time Hearts pulled a similar stunt was when they got their match postponed by flooding the pitch just before a cup tie against us. Worked well, they got a 2-2 draw and a money spinning replay.
I think I remember that game, I’m sure the winners of that tie went on and won the cup that year.

givescotlandfreedom
07-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I notice at the end of the Scotsman story on this today that Rodgers also mentions that Celtic were told 'the pipes were broken' when they asked why there was no water!?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/celtic-manager-brendan-rodgers-slams-hearts-gamesmanship-1-4735697

Hearts are pathetic and at it as usual but can you imagine the reaction from Rodgers if another manager tried to dictate to them how their pitch should be? He's a melter too.

Keith_M
07-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Hearts are pathetic and at it as usual but can you imagine the reaction from Rodgers if another manager tried to dictate to them how their pitch should be? He's a melter too.

He didn't use the state of the pitch as an excuse when we pumped them at ER.

givescotlandfreedom
07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
He didn't use the state of the pitch as an excuse when we pumped them at ER.

I realise that but if an opposition manager was to complain that Celtc didn't have their pitch to his team's liking or anyone wouldn't water the pitch for them they'd be laughed out of town.

One Day
07-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Scott Sinclair’s goal.

ha ha

Keith_M
07-05-2018, 06:43 PM
I realise that but if an opposition manager was to complain that Celtc didn't have their pitch to his team's liking or anyone wouldn't water the pitch for them they'd be laughed out of town.

Fair enough.

07-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Fly *******s but as sneaky as it was, it's their pitch and if they felt they would get an advantage out it then fair enough. They weren't breaking any official rules. The advantage of playing at home - you can control certain factors.

greenlex
07-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Fly *******s but as sneaky as it was, it's their pitch and if they felt they would get an advantage out it then fair enough. They weren't breaking any official rules. The advantage of playing at home - you can control certain factors.
Anti football merchants creating anti football conditions.:agree:

SirDavidsNapper
07-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Pesky German grass. Always grows too long 😉

Billy Whizz
07-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Heard BR’s interview tonight
He was basically saying that players need good pitches to play on to develop. Went onto say that Scotland hadn’t qualified for any major tournaments for years, so players need great surfaces to improve their skills

He went onto say, heard them cutting the grass as they were leaving Tynie🤣

givescotlandfreedom
07-05-2018, 07:40 PM
If potter's trying to wind Brenda up he's not half succeeding.

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2018, 07:41 PM

calumhibee1
07-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Heard BR’s interview tonight
He was basically saying that players need good pitches to play on to develop. Went onto say that Scotland hadn’t qualified for any major tournaments for years, so players need great surfaces to improve their skills

He went onto say, heard them cutting the grass as they were leaving Tynie🤣

He’s not wrong. With attitudes like the one that runs through the club at Hearts we’ll never make an international tournament again.

calumhibee1
07-05-2018, 07:45 PM

They would be, but Celtics pitch is exactly as it should be, so nobody will. If they had a 9 a side pitch with grass like the rough at The Old Course then people would quite rightly complain.

basehibby
08-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Its the same with Killies excuse for a pitch they gain an unfair advantage by not watering it and the ball bounces the wrong way, although the hertz way is different, they dont have the quality or skilled players to play fitba so they try to gain an advantage by letting the grass grow. Killie should be pulled up for their pitch.

I know this is not really the prime factor but Killie's pitch just LOOKS f'in awful - it's an affront to the senses - looks like it's been stitched together out of old xmas trees or something (artificial ones). It's supposed to be the beautiful game and Killie's monstrosity of a pitch takes away from that in a very real and obvious way.

basehibby
08-05-2018, 12:44 AM

Rodgers is right though - teams like Hearts forcing everyone to play on their tattie patch allotment of a pitch is bad for football in Scotland. It encourages the playing of cloggers and discourages the emergence of skilled footballing talent.

Nutmegged
08-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Don't think it was worth the hoohaa it created but Rodgers has a problem with Levein and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Suppose it's better making light of an issue on the back of a win than it is on the back of a loss.

GreenLake
08-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Potter is leaving the grass so long they're sending a team of grouse beaters out before kickoff.

neil7908
08-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Really surprised folk are defending Hearts over this. They aren't some third division team drawn against Celtic in the cup, their supposedly one of the top teams in the country.

They've been up to nonsense like this for years (including the things like shortening the pitch) and they need to get called out more.

It's embarrassing for an SPL club to have to resort to that kinda stuff, especially one with the 4/5th biggest budget in the country.

Maybe rather than spending all the game kicking folk, leaving the grass long and punting the ball forward they should do focus their efforts on trying to sign better players?

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 06:37 AM
Really surprised folk are defending Hearts over this. They aren't some third division team drawn against Celtic in the cup, their supposedly one of the top teams in the country.

They've been up to nonsense like this for years (including the things like shortening the pitch) and they need to get called out more.

It's embarrassing for an SPL club to have to resort to that kinda stuff, especially one with the 4/5th biggest budget in the country.

Maybe rather than spending all the game kicking folk, leaving the grass long and punting the ball forward they should do focus their efforts on trying to sign better players?

Agree. Scottish football will never improve while we have clubs in our domestic game whos game plan is simply to try and stop exciting games of football breaking out every week. Can you imagine any other league/sport in the world where they actually make a conscious effort to make the product on show as ***** as possible?

hibsbollah
08-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Agree. Scottish football will never improve while we have clubs in our domestic game whos game plan is simply to try and stop exciting games of football breaking out every week. Can you imagine any other league/sport in the world where they actually make a conscious effort to make the product on show as ***** as possible?

It goes right through all levels of the game. You hear McCoist laughing about it on commentary on Sunday, that he thought Rodgers complaints about the pitch were 'embarassing', constant reference to how the home team have the 'right' to prepare the pitch how they like (which ignores the obvious question of why are they doing it?), the giggling at the first assault on Brown, and the bizarre assertion that the second stamp on Forrest wasn't even a foul. Its not unique to other teams either, there are still some people claiming on here that it wasn't a foul, or at least it was 'borderline'. Unbelievable.

The sad truth is that there are few people in this country interested in developing a progressive game that isn't about long diagonals, kicking your opponents up in the air. What's the point in the Sfa investing in the Oriam and the pathway when the likes of Levein put their sixteen year olds into games with the clear instructions to kick everything that moves, waste time and slow down the game?

NZ Green
08-05-2018, 10:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1MvzAr26E
This is the Hearts team training video for teams that come to visit. Particularly useful when their power goes out again.

Carheenlea
08-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Levein just continues to come out with comments that make him appear an even bigger roaster than he was before, as hard as that seems to do. Does the guy have any friends in Scottish football? It’s as if he revels in the fact he is unliked, where others might step back and think about the reasons why people don’t like him.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1414438-levein-hits-back-at-rodgers-over-tynecastle-pitch-comments/

Geo_1875
08-05-2018, 11:45 AM
"He can moan and bleat all he wants, it will be the same again next time."

So they're investing £1 million in a state of the art pitch and he's going to turn it into a tattie field to try and beat Celtc.

The "man" is a cockrocket of the highest order.

Sergio sledge
08-05-2018, 11:54 AM
"Steven Naismith's challenge on Celtic skipper Scott Brown is to be reviewed by the Scottish FA's compliance officer Tony McGlennan.
Levein confirmed he would appeal any SFA charge brought against Naismith.
Asked if thought it was a bad challenge, he responded: "No.""

The man is deluded. How can you have any defence for that tackle?

truehibernian
08-05-2018, 12:06 PM
The SFA gave this guy a 5 and a half year contract - let that sink in - over 5 years to a player and manager who has won nothing in the game before or since.

Berti Vogts got less and he won the Euro Championships !! Simply incredible.

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 12:13 PM
The SFA gave this guy a 5 and a half year contract - let that sink in - over 5 years to a player and manager who has won nothing in the game before or since.

Berti Vogts got less and he won the Euro Championships !! Simply incredible.

Simply an incredible decision what exactly had he done to earn that, get Dundee United to a league cup final?

No wonder we never qualify for tournaments when that dinosaur was running the show. Can remember his first game v Serbia at Hampden, happy with a 0 0 draw and who could forget the famous no striker game. His attitude along should have ruled him out of contention.

ToffeeCabbage
08-05-2018, 12:35 PM
"He can moan and bleat all he wants, it will be the same again next time."

So they're investing £1 million in a state of the art pitch and he's going to turn it into a tattie field to try and beat Celtc.

The "man" is a cockrocket of the highest order.Great news. Levein obviously planning on being just as awful next season

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jack
08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm told the tiny pitch will start to be ripped up as the fans are leaving on Wednesday.

I doubt it will be any better for us.

Phil MaGlass
08-05-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44041548

this could go on and on:thumbsup:

Dan Sarf
08-05-2018, 01:37 PM
"As long as we stay within the rules, then I don't know what he's bleating about."

Sporting integrity, perhaps?

JimBHibees
08-05-2018, 01:40 PM
"As long as we stay within the rules, then I don't know what he's bleating about."

Sporting integrity, perhaps?

Or just integrity.

LichtieHibby
08-05-2018, 01:44 PM
"If we want to talk about a level playing field, if they bring a team through here that earn the same money as our players do, then we will put them out on the pitch and see who wins."

So the pitch will be in good condition on Wednesday...

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2018, 01:49 PM
I really don't get the issue over this, too many folk jumping on it because it's Hearts and Levein involved. Levein is spot on with his comments.

Brooster
08-05-2018, 01:51 PM
I really don't get the issue over this, too many folk jumping on it because it's Hearts and Levein involved. Levein is spot on with his comments.

Correct. Some folk just prefer talking about hertz rather than Hibs. Strange.

Elephant Stone
08-05-2018, 01:56 PM
What an absolute loser of a man. He should try signing some decent players and coaching them to play football instead, maybe then he wouldn't be 20 points behind us and hilariously bad away from home.

Swedish hibee
08-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Brendan likes a moan doesn't he.

Sergio sledge
08-05-2018, 02:03 PM

I do tend to agree with Levein that Rodgers should stop complaining and just get on with it. However this whole episode shows Levein's negative loser mentality. Instead of trying to instil his players with confidence that they were good enough to go out and beat Celtic he effectively told them they weren't good enough by saying that to have any chance they'd have to use external factors to try to stop Celtic playing. Levein is so negative that his players will have had in the back of their mind that they aren't good enough because the manager wants the grass to be grown to stop Celtic playing, so you could see as soon as Celtic equalised, the Hearts players confidence wilted and they hardly did anything from that point on. This has been the story of Hearts season, as soon as the other team scores they lose all confidence. Think they are the worst in the league at picking up points after going behind.

I think too much is made on here sometimes of Lennon being a "winner," however it's very easy to see the difference that a manager showing confidence in his players can make to a performance. A good manager builds his players up to be confident and brave so that when they find themselves a goal down or when another team equalises they stick at it and have the confidence to go on to win the game or get back into it. I don't think Lennon would change the pitch condition before a game like this and I wouldn't expect our captain to be coming out and saying we weren't good enough to compete with Celtic so we needed to do something like that (which Berra has admitted).

Onion
08-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Rogers is correct. It is deeply embarrassing ... for the Hearts players. How would any professional footballer feel if the manager walks in and says I don't think you are good enough to compete with these guys, so I'm going to have to shorten the pitch, grow the grass longer, churn up the pitch with a plow to try drag them down to YOUR level so we have a chance.

This latest embarrassing ploy by Levein just gets added to his zero up front for Scotland. The guy is perfect for Hearts, an embarrassment :aok:

Famous Fiver
08-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Wee drop of rain this afternoon.

I take it our friends have the pitch safely covered to prevent any prospect of a decent playing field.

Need to keep it as dry and rutted as possible so that nothing resembling football can be played on it.

Hoof!!

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Rogers is correct. It is deeply embarrassing ... for the Hearts players. How would any professional footballer feel if the manager walks in and says I don't think you are good enough to compete with these guys, so I'm going to have to shorten the pitch, grow the grass longer, churn up the pitch with a plow to try drag them down to YOUR level so we have a chance.

This latest embarrassing ploy by Levein just gets added to his zero up front for Scotland. The guy is perfect for Hearts, an embarrassment :aok:

Eh nah just nah. Embarrassing for Hearts players that their manager is trying to gain a slight advantage over the best team in the league? This thread gets funnier with every post.

WeeRussell
08-05-2018, 04:35 PM
It goes right through all levels of the game. You hear McCoist laughing about it on commentary on Sunday, that he thought Rodgers complaints about the pitch were 'embarassing', constant reference to how the home team have the 'right' to prepare the pitch how they like (which ignores the obvious question of why are they doing it?), the giggling at the first assault on Brown, and the bizarre assertion that the second stamp on Forrest wasn't even a foul. Its not unique to other teams either, there are still some people claiming on here that it wasn't a foul, or at least it was 'borderline'. Unbelievable.

The sad truth is that there are few people in this country interested in developing a progressive game that isn't about long diagonals, kicking your opponents up in the air. What's the point in the Sfa investing in the Oriam and the pathway when the likes of Levein put their sixteen year olds into games with the clear instructions to kick everything that moves, waste time and slow down the game?

McCoist was embarrassingly biased at the weekend. I was making the exact same point as you do above re his comments on both Naismith’s ‘challenges’.

“His foot certainly makes contact with Brown’s leg” was about all he could bring himself to say when pushed on the first. And as for laughing at the second one and saying it was a good challenge, Naismith was unlucky he catches him after as his foot is making contact with the ball the whole time.

Pathetic.

calumhibee1
08-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Someone with a lawn mower fancy breaking into tynecastle tonight and scalping the grass? :greengrin

lapsedhibee
08-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Nah. Potter acknowledged they're not a top team when he started bleating about Celtic's greater resources. Did he and Tomatoheid Houston dream up this strategy together for justifying their teams' ***** football and thuggery?

G B Young
09-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Potter is certainly on shaky ground when he starts pontificating on why Scotland don't qualify for major finals considering his own part in that failure as statistically the worst Scotland boss of all time:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/craig-levein-so-if-we-cut-grass-short-then-we-ll-go-to-finals-unbelievable-1-4736717

Carheenlea
09-05-2018, 08:23 AM

Correct. Some folk just prefer talking about hertz rather than Hibs. Strange.

Look back at threads on here, particularly during the 3 years in the championship, and you’ll see plenty of criticism towards clubs/managers adopting robust, spoiling, anti football tactics. Certainly not exclusively reserved for Levein or Hearts.

renato
09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Did we have to grow our grass longer to “level the playing field” too?

Rodgers likes the sound of his own voice but Potter deserves all the criticism he gets.

G B Young
09-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Potter is certainly on shaky ground when he starts pontificating on why Scotland don't qualify for major finals considering his own part in that failure as statistically the worst Scotland boss of all time:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/craig-levein-so-if-we-cut-grass-short-then-we-ll-go-to-finals-unbelievable-1-4736717

Oh, and as for his implication that there was nothing wrong with Naismith's 'tackle' on Brown, that can only be designed to appeal to the more tribal among the yam support.

Keith_M
09-05-2018, 10:07 AM
I do get the fact that it's up to each club/manager how long they decide to cut the grass, but it's indicative of how Levein wants to stop the other side being able to play football at all costs.

The players are extremely well drilled in using any and all tactics and Levein's negative formations are legendary. The pitch thing is just an extension of his anti-football negativity.

I reserve the right to take the p1ss out of him and Hearts for this.

p.s. I also criticized Alloa's plastic monstrosity, so this is not purely about Hearts.

SMAXXA
09-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Hearts cut the pitch on Sunday night and took a ton and a half of grass of the surface so don’t be the same tonight. I real that amount of grass to take of game to game but upto then if they felt it gave them an advantage

calumhibee1
09-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Look back at threads on here, particularly during the 3 years in the championship, and you’ll see plenty of criticism towards clubs/managers adopting robust, spoiling, anti football tactics. Certainly not exclusively reserved for Levein or Hearts.

Exactly. People moan about it when it’s not Hearts aswell. The difference is that other sides don’t deliberately neglect their pitch to make it more difficult to play on.

Stuart93
Hearts cut the pitch on Sunday night and took a ton and a half of grass of the surface so don’t be the same tonight. I real that amount of grass to take of game to game but upto then if they felt it gave them an advantage

Reading this gave me a headache

calumhibee1

How on earth would you know that?

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Which is completely different to having your own pitch as you want it.

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Lets be honest here, its a lot easier to stop a team playing than it is to try and win a football match.

Maybe part of the reason our national team has not qualified for a tournament in years.

We even employ managers who's main tactics are to stifle the hell out of a game, you reap what you sow. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Which is completely different to having your own pitch as you want it.

It's not an isolated case though; they overwater the pitch, let the grass get long, keep it like a tattie field, reduce the size, as a tactic. To cater to the lowest common denominator hoofball that is holding the nations game back. They have had a bigger budget than Hibs for years and they've always played that way FFS. Why not buy better players and keep a pitch that allows you to play football on it instead? It's 'allowed', all perfectly legal, but it's not right.

Since90+2
09-05-2018, 10:57 AM

1.5 tones of grass??

JimBHibees
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Lets be honest here, its a lot easier to stop a team playing than it is to try and win a football match.

Maybe part of the reason our national team has not qualified for a tournament in years.

We even employ managers who's main tactics are to stifle the hell out of a game, you reap what you sow. :rolleyes:

Couldnt agree more. If they have cut the grass and it looks like some rain tonight so the pitch should be in decent condition for a fast game. As it is they have some decent players in their team and will cause us problems just think we will cause them more if a football game is to break out tonight.

ian cruise
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
How on earth would you know that?

I'm sure the poster is involved in Edinburgh football so it's likely he knows people who on the ground sleeping staff. I'm sure it's being posted in good faith.

WeeRussell
09-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Couldn't agree more but wasn't it Rogers who mentioned it in relation to 'good football' not being encouraged with poor pitches etc?

Wouldn't surprise me if Levein has had something to say on the matter too, as he usually does.

calumhibee1
09-05-2018, 12:18 PM
I'm sure the poster is involved in Edinburgh football so it's likely he knows people who on the ground sleeping staff. I'm sure it's being posted in good faith.

I don’t doubt that, not having a go at the guy. Just seems such a strange thing to be ITK about, the quantity of grass that has been cut :greengrin

G B Young
09-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Couldn't agree more but wasn't it Rogers who mentioned it in relation to 'good football' not being encouraged with poor pitches etc?

Wouldn't surprise me if Levein has had something to say on the matter too, as he usually does.

Levein claims it's because certain clubs aren't giving their young players enough first team experience that the Scottish football team continues to struggle. Presumably that's supposed to be another dig at Celtic?

WeeRussell
09-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Levein claims it's because certain clubs aren't giving their young players enough first team experience that the Scottish football team continues to struggle. Presumably that's supposed to be another dig at Celtic?

Who knows what the fud is slavering at now. I like how hearts are suddenly the youth-blooding, loveable pioneers of Scottish football because they’ve had to resort to playing a couple of teenagers due them f****ing things up for themselves that badly.

Pathetic.

JimBHibees
09-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Who knows what the fud is slavering at now. I like how hearts are suddenly the youth-blooding, loveable pioneers of Scottish football because they’ve had to resort to playing a couple of teenagers due them f****ing things up for themselves that badly.

Pathetic.

Agree if he thinks exposing young players to that horrific style of football is developing them I think he might be mistaken.

SirDavidsNapper
09-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Pathetic.

Exactly. And bleating about not having a level playing field because of what Celtic pay. If it wasn't Levein you'd laugh

Ozyhibby
09-05-2018, 05:14 PM
As someone who believes the league should be salary capped then I agree with Levein. Just because you are a yam ***** doesn’t mean you can’t be right every now and then.

Smartie
09-05-2018, 05:18 PM
I can't believe the fuss over this.

They're entitled to do what they want at their tip.

We give ourselves an advantage over Hearts at Easter Road by providing an immaculate pitch ideal for us to outplay them on at football.

Why shouldn't they do what they need to do within the rules?

lapsedhibee
09-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Why shouldn't they do what they need to do within the rules?

:agree: No different to their rotational fouling policy.