PDA

View Full Version : Failing to get 2nd shouldn't spoil an excellent season

Hibbyradge
06-05-2018, 08:27 AM
It would be a real shame if, in the event that we don't improve our league position, people finish the season feeling disappointed.

I said weeks ago that 2nd place was highly unlikely because of away fixtures at Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers. The task became slightly easier when the SPFL correctly gave us the Rangers game at home, but it's still very difficult.

I hope we can do it, but wherever we end up, it's been a great effort and we should be delighted and I hope Easter Road is one big party before, during and after the game next weekend, regardless of the result.

We'll have a new crop of players next season and I'm looking forward to see what Neil Lennon can do from (almost) scratch.

GGTTH.

CallumLaidlaw
06-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Agree 100%. Some rival fans are already trying to paint a picture that Hibs finishing 4th would be them bottling it again. I’ve tried (in vain) to point out that in a league that contained Celtic and Aberdeen as well as hearts and rangers who are well settled since their promotion as well as the likes of st Johnstone who have been top 6 mainstays, a top 6 finish was always the first target. To seal 4th with 3 games to go was superb. If we finish higher than 4th it will be outstanding considering rangers money and Aberdeen’s consistency over the last few seasons. Even if we drew our last 2 games and finished 4th, we’ll have remained unbeaten since January and enjoyed victories over all of the other top 6 teams during the season. We’ve seen some brilliant football and goals and have a set up and manager that many others are now envious of. The future is green and white [emoji172]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
06-05-2018, 08:36 AM
It would be a real shame if, in the event that we don't improve our league position, people finish the season feeling disappointed.

I said weeks ago that 2nd place was highly unlikely because of away fixtures at Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers. The task became slightly easier when the SPFL correctly gave us the Rangers game at home, but it's still very difficult.

I hope we can do it, but wherever we end up, it's been a great effort and we should be delighted and I hope Easter Road is one big party before, during and after the game next weekend, regardless of the result.

We'll have a new crop of players next season and I'm looking forward to see what Neil Lennon can do from (almost) scratch.

GGTTH.

Agree. I’ll probably feel disappointed if we get third, never mind fourth because we deserve second. But if we don’t get it, fourth is still a major achievement in our first season back.

Sir David Gray
06-05-2018, 08:39 AM
If Celtic win the Scottish Cup, we're guaranteed European football next season, regardless of what happens in our last two games.

You can't argue with that after where we've been over the previous 3 seasons.

I really fancy us to beat Sevco though.

Ronniekirk
06-05-2018, 08:39 AM

GGTTH.

It wont spoil it for me ,and Season Ticket already renewed The only disappointment is knowing that earlier in the Season we could , and should of won some games we drew . Had we done so ,we would be in second right now ,and depending on how Midweek results go we could still be in with a chance of Second going into the last game of the Season
Magnificent Achievement so far

To then beat Hearts on their own patch ( something we don't do enough ) and head to that Final game v The Zombies and then finish second would be Poetic Justice Those two teams having won trophies while living well out with their means But both now struggling as a result of that

Tyler Durden
06-05-2018, 08:42 AM

GGTTH.

Just 2 away defeats all season. 7 home wins on the bounce since January. A team that fight to the last every week.

Incredible season whatever happens. Fancy us for 2 wins though :wink:

Borderhibbie76
06-05-2018, 08:42 AM

GGTTH.Here here and well said mate...2nf 3rd or 4th it's been a fab season and barring a massive shock in cup final...we r in Europe regardless

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-05-2018, 08:52 AM
No matter how the season ends, the word failure shouldn't be part of the summary.

wookie70
06-05-2018, 08:59 AM
We already have more points than Hearts got the season they came up and finished 3rd and have had some great results and performances. We have already matched or beaten the position that we should be in terms of our budget so a very good season all round. Our home form has been brilliant in the last few months which will guarantee lots of renewals. So many positives in the league.

I just hope the season doesn't fizzle out as that would take the gloss off an excellent campaign. Let's see two more gutsy performances like yesterday and even if that doesn't mean we finish 2nd or 3rd we will have went down fighting. It's been a long time since a league derby meant this much and the final game of the season has the potential to be our biggest league game(at least in positive terms) since I started watching 40 odd years ago.

Heisenberg
06-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Great first season back. Done better than I thought we would, dominated the derby at ER, great run of home form and hard to beat away. If only we hadn’t dropped so many points at the start of the season when we were so powderpuff in attack. Safe to say Lennon fixed that issue in January though.

j'adore hibs
06-05-2018, 09:07 AM

GGTTH.

totally agree, we can only be proud of what we have achived these last 3 seasons, scottish cup, promotion and fighting it out for 2nd spot. dempster and lennnon have been a god send

FilipinoHibs
06-05-2018, 09:13 AM
We should stop the negative talk of its ok to finish fourth. That is old Hibs pre Lennon. The players will feel these vibes. Let's go for two more wins with the aim of finishing second. No excuses before the event.

Jack Hackett
06-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Considering we were going to be involved in the relegation battle... according to our 'famous' neebs, and would be a guaranteed 9 points for them, it would be churlish to be anything less than immensely satisfied with our clubs performance.

MIND THE GAP :lolyam:

IGRIGI
06-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Have to be honest I'd be disappointed not to get 2nd but only because the opportunity is there.

Have to remind myself that in 25 years of following Hibs this is the first time that we've actually had that opportunity!

With Celtic always going to be runaway winners, Aberdeen with a settled squad finishing 2nd two years in a row, and with Rangers budget, we've done tremendously well to still be in amongst it at this stage in our first season back.

jacomo
06-05-2018, 10:10 AM
We should stop the negative talk of its ok to finish fourth. That is old Hibs pre Lennon. The players will feel these vibes. Let's go for two more wins with the aim of finishing second. No excuses before the event.

Agree.

If we finish 4th I will be disappointed.

The disappointment will be fleeting and outweighed by admiration of the clear progress we have made this season but still... we’ve put ourselves in a great position to finish 2nd or 3rd and it would be a shame to miss out.

Jones28
06-05-2018, 10:42 AM
If anything it shows how good a season we've had if anyone is dissapointed we finish less than second.

FWIW I will be dissapointed because this team deserves it more than anything else.

Pete
06-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Agree 100%. Some rival fans are already trying to paint a picture that Hibs finishing 4th would be them bottling it again. I’ve tried (in vain) to point out that in a league that contained Celtic and Aberdeen as well as hearts and rangers who are well settled since their promotion as well as the likes of st Johnstone who have been top 6 mainstays, a top 6 finish was always the first target. To seal 4th with 3 games to go was superb. If we finish higher than 4th it will be outstanding considering rangers money and Aberdeen’s consistency over the last few seasons. Even if we drew our last 2 games and finished 4th, we’ll have remained unbeaten since January and enjoyed victories over all of the other top 6 teams during the season. We’ve seen some brilliant football and goals and have a set up and manager that many others are now envious of. The future is green and white [emoji172]

If any “rival” fans start with that patter they honestly need dragged outside and shot.

Even if we lose the next two games it will still be one of the strongest finishes to a top flight season I can remember. Europe will still be on the table.

Like someone else said, the term “failure” should never be used to describe any part of this season.

Prof. Shaggy
06-05-2018, 10:46 AM
No matter how the season ends, the word failure shouldn't be part of the summary.

This.
I don't know why anyone's talking about failure.

Ozyhibby
06-05-2018, 10:50 AM
There will be disappointment but it won’t be aimed at anyone at the club.

Vini1875
06-05-2018, 11:02 AM
I would be disappointed, because we are so close and there is excitement around our fixtures and the huns and dons results. It is great to be involved in something right to the end. That said in the cool light of day if we end up 4th I could look back on the season and think it has been decent. 4th is decent, but 2nd would give us hope of more to come.

Jamesie
06-05-2018, 11:02 AM

This is where I’m at too. I firmly believe that if we win our last two games we will indeed finish 2nd.

Hibbyradge
06-05-2018, 11:14 AM
This.
I don't know why anyone's talking about failure.

I don't think anyone is.

jeffers
06-05-2018, 11:16 AM
I will be disappointed because (even taking off the green tinted glasses) we are the 2nd best team in the league and the football this season has been excellent. This team should be 2nd.

andybev1
06-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Failing to get 2nd shouldn't spoil an excellent season

I don't think anyone is.

:greengrin

Good point though.

Hibbyradge
06-05-2018, 12:51 PM
:greengrin

Good point though.

:faf:

:embarrass

Captain Trips
06-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Imagine 3 or 4 seasons ago being in a position to discuss such stuff. Fantastic job done at the club.

J-C
06-05-2018, 12:56 PM

GGTTH.

Exactly the fact that we're actually vying for that 2nd spot shows how far we've come, being comfortable top 4 is in itself an achievement.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Regardless of what happens in the next two games we have had a brilliant first season back. We deserve to finish 2nd because we have actually been a team who have tried to win by playing attacking entertaining football, it would be ironic if we couldn't make it to the final game still in with a chance of that because of failing to beat the most anti football team in the league on Wednesday night .... unfortunately that's a possibility.

I hope we can at least finish 3rd so that I don't have to want Celtic to win the cup final.

We have continued our upward trajectory and that's hugely important, with likely 14,000 season ticket holders next season lets hope the club can successfully overcome the possible loss of McGinn, McGeouch, Kamberi, Barker and McLaren .... on the face of it that's one hell of an ask for any club, practically half a team.

hibby6270
06-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Imagine 3 or 4 seasons ago being in a position to discuss such stuff. Fantastic job done at the club.

Spot on. Can’t rest on our laurels though. This team (if majority can be retained) and the club in general are still on the up. As has been said before, if some of the draws we’ve had this season (even 3 or 4 out of the 12)had been wins, we’d be home and hosed in second place already.

neil7908
07-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Absolutely. Even if we lose the next two games and Motherwell somehow beat Celtic it will still be a successful season for us given where we were as a club a fee years ago.

DaveF
07-05-2018, 07:17 AM

If bottling it means finishing 20 points clear of the big team, I think I might be able to cope with that.

MrSmith
07-05-2018, 07:19 AM
What a season it’s been!

I think we are one again and as one, we will all be disapointed not to achieve greater than 4th but we will still be smiling from ear to ear :flag:

20 points behind will be trying to derail us :aok: ha ha, it so hurts them :na na:

snooky
07-05-2018, 07:36 AM
TBH, after watching years of dross, we are finally playing the game like it should be. This revival spawned at the end of the 2015/16 season.
I'm sure there'll will be ups and downs ahead however, I feel at long last we are moving in the right direction with some momentum. Let's hope the board keep up with the supporters in terms of support.

PeeJay
07-05-2018, 07:40 AM
It's been a really good and enjoyable season for Hibs, but if an extremely poor Rangers outfit finish above us, then I would be pretty disappointed ... not keen on Aberdeen being above us either, come to think of it ...

snooky
07-05-2018, 07:44 AM
It's been a really good and enjoyable season for Hibs, but if an extremely poor Rangers outfit finish above us, then I would be pretty disappointed ... not keen on Aberdeen being above us either, come to think of it ...

Rangers are guaranteed at least a dozen points or so every season by dodgy decisions going their way. On a level playing field they would be where Hearts are now.

PeeJay
07-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Rangers are guaranteed at least a dozen points or so every season by dodgy decisions going their way. On a level playing field they would be where Hearts are now.

I don't care much for the "everybody else has an advantage over us" view either ...:greengrin

Heisenberg
07-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Aberdeen are a good side, very consistent, their only failure this season has been the bigger games. Rangers, while being poor against Celtc and us, usually get results against the smaller teams. Both also have much bigger budgets than us.

4th place very much bucks the trend for Hibs in the SPL/Scottish Premiership era. We’ve just matched our record points total of 66 points since the 38 game and split format was introduced (previously set in 2000/2001!). We still have the potential to do even better, but if we don’t i certainly won’t be disappointed.

blackpoolhibs
09-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Well Dave, going by some of the morons on here, it looks like you were pissing in the wind with this one.

Whittaker McGregor and Lennon are clueless and finished, and because we did not hump them, we are back to serving out more of the same and are soft.

Heisenberg
09-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Once it dies down a bit from tonight I’m sure everyone will reflect on a fantastic season. We’ve been brilliant. We used to struggle to make top six. We’re comfortably 4th this season, played some brilliant football and have had good wins against the OF, Aberdeen and Hearts.

These kinds of seasons were just a dream when we were scrambling about in the championship losing against Alloa and the likes.

Gerard
09-05-2018, 10:11 PM
It has been a good season and we still have a good chance of qualifying for European football.NL has done well and can do better next year.

Johnny_Leith
09-05-2018, 10:14 PM
I share Lennon's disappointment in not finishing second. We had massive chance to increase our budget for next year and let ourselves down. At the start of the season I would have taken the position we are in now, but having been in with a shout of second against an average rangers and an overrated Aberdeen team I'm disappointed not to be in with a shout for second on the last day.

rcarter1
09-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Not sure why the team failed to click tonight, but the season has been great. Bar Motherwell, we are in Europe, and have gone toe to toe with the best teams in the league. Massively interesting summer coming up, and regardless of a probable 4th, chasing a 6-0 win vs the Gers has to have comedy value et least. Would be most joyous.

Hearts are still irrelevant.

Greencore
09-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Ra Celtc wanna win the treble let's not kid ourselves we will get Europe however Neil saying on bt sports I have to agree 4th is not acceptable. we need tland have too improve on next season

Sammy7nil
10-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Ra Celtc wanna win the treble let's not kid ourselves we will get Europe however Neil saying on bt sports I have to agree 4th is not acceptable. we need tland have too improve on next season

For me it is a ending in disappointment (selfishly) it has been a fantastic season but we had it in our grasp to make it better and ultimately we failed.

PS if NL thinks fourth is unacceptable he should thumb through the history books.

JohnM1875
10-05-2018, 12:28 AM
For me it is a ending in disappointment (selfishly) it has been a fantastic season but we had it in our grasp to make it better and ultimately we failed.

PS if NL thinks fourth is unacceptable he should thumb through the history books.

Totally agree. Surely every Hibs fan will be disappointed now? All we needed to do tonight was secure a point then we had the biggest (league) game of my life (30) to look forward to on Sunday!

Now there's nothing really. Other than staying till the end hearing the Huns more than likely celebrate second and applaud the team on their lap of honour, which they actually deserve. Deflated to say the least.

Pete
10-05-2018, 01:36 AM
Overreaction Central right here.

Some people are like dying swans when in reality, all we have to do is wait on Celtic winning the Scottish cup to achieve a similar outcome.

More the fool them for thinking the derby would be an easy game.

Sammy7nil
10-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Well Dave, going by some of the morons on here, it looks like you were pissing in the wind with this one.

Whittaker McGregor and Lennon are clueless and finished, and because we did not hump them, we are back to serving out more of the same and are soft.

BH we were soft last night that is a fact. Lewis was so weak against Laugherty and we just could not get a foothold in the game at all. We were out battled.

Ozyhibby
10-05-2018, 02:01 PM
As disappointing as last night was, it doesn’t remotely come close to the loss to Falkirk in the play offs, the loss to sevco in the play offs or the defeat from Hamilton to relegate us.
Time to start looking forward to next season and hopefully Lennon rebuilding the squad better again.

lyonhibs
10-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Totally agree. Surely every Hibs fan will be disappointed now? All we needed to do tonight was secure a point then we had the biggest (league) game of my life (30) to look forward to on Sunday!

Now there's nothing really. Other than staying till the end hearing the Huns more than likely celebrate second and applaud the team on their lap of honour, which they actually deserve. Deflated to say the least.

The day the chance to celebrate a victory over Rangers to end the season with our records point total since probably the 70's is described as "nothing really" is a day I never thought I'd live to see.

If the Rangers fans want to go tonto over finishing 2nd (which they won't be if we beat them, which I firmly believe we will) miles behind Celtc then crack on, it merely shows how far they've fallen.

It's a great time to be a Hibs fan, make no mistake about it.

Vini1875
10-05-2018, 02:22 PM

He said it was unacceptable for him.

Halifaxhibby
10-05-2018, 03:02 PM
3 games have defined their season....last night, the cup game and the Celtic game.

In all honesty most of us would have taken 4th and a very realistic chance of Europe at the start of the season.

GGTTH
FTHMFC

jgl07
10-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Hibs have been failing to get 2nd place since the 1970s without too much trauma.

Two years ago, Hibs failed to get 2nd place in the Championship and we still counted it as a decent season!

heretoday
10-05-2018, 08:29 PM
I couldn't give a monkey's about finishing second although it was irksome that Hearts should be the team to spoil it.
We've only been back one season so it's been a success. The important thing is to progress and improve on it. I only hope we can do that.

ancient hibee
10-05-2018, 10:09 PM
If we had thought at the beginning of the season that at the end of it (as could happen)we would be one of three clubs behind Celtic covered by one point we would have been delighted.

Pagan Hibernia
10-05-2018, 10:37 PM
It’s disappointing but we haven’t missed out because of one bad performance in a derby.

We’ve missed out because of points thrown away earlier in the season in games we dominated. That’s what grates.

heretoday
11-05-2018, 08:48 AM
We're gonna be in Europe aren't we? What's the problem? Great season.:flag:

Blaster
11-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I’m surprised we’ve managed to finish as close to 2nd as we have with all these supposedly rubbish players like rocky, Daz, Lewis & Whittaker..........

Reality time for some folks I think. The most enjoyable league season since we had sauzee and latapy

flash
11-05-2018, 10:25 AM
I’m surprised we’ve managed to finish as close to 2nd as we have with all these supposedly rubbish players like rocky, Daz, Lewis & Whittaker..........

Reality time for some folks I think. The most enjoyable league season since we had sauzee and latapy

Absolutely. It's been such a good season our section of the West stand has got through it without incident.

Blaster
11-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Absolutely. It's been such a good season our section of the West stand has got through it without incident.

😄. Hope you’ve not spoken too soon mate lol

flash
11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
😄. Hope you’ve not spoken too soon mate lol

All my rage will be directed at the Huns tomorrow.

Blaster
11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
All my rage will be directed at the Huns tomorrow.

As hopefully we all will be. Let’s finish the season in style