PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 050518)

Jonnyboy
05-05-2018, 09:31 PM
On the way up to Aberdeen I couldn’t help but think of how things had gone so badly for us the last time we visited. A very weary Hibs folded that day and went down 4-1 but had since gone on a run of games where no further league defeats were suffered. A remarkable feat and one which had me in good spirits as I felt we’d proved over that time that we were every bit as good as Aberdeen, if not better and that finishing in second spot was still on.

As the teams came out on a sunny but a little blustery afternoon, Neil Lennon decided to go with the same eleven that had beaten Killie the week before. There were positive changes though in that Dylan McGeouch made the bench as did David Gray, following a lengthy injury absence. On their arrival they were met with a wall of noise from the large travelling support and that support was constant throughout an exciting ninety minutes.

Hibs started very brightly but it only took sixty seconds for referee John Beaton to flash the first yellow of the game following a very crude tackle by O’Connor on McGinn. Five minutes later, Hibs were awarded a penalty. Scott Allan released Whittaker with a fine pass and Whitty carried the ball towards the edge of the Aberdeen penalty area before sliding it into the path of Jamie Maclaren. As the Hibs man was about to shoot he was bundled over by Mark Reynolds and Beaton immediately pointed to the spot. Maclaren himself elected to take the kick but was dismayed when Joe Lewis saved it. From my angle it was hard to determine whether it was a poor kick or a good save but as he hit it, it looked like one of those efforts that a keeper would save it if he dived the right way. Shortly thereafter, Maclaren had a golden chance to redeem himself when a cross into the box landed right on his head but he sent the ball over the bar from pretty close range.

Perhaps lifted by these near misses, Aberdeen started to get into the game but it was becoming a bit of a midfield battle and John Beaton got busy in booking both Hanlon and McGinn with the latter clattering into Mackay Steven, much to the anger of Derek McInnes.

With the half time whistle fast approaching, Beaton awarded Aberdeen a pretty soft free kick around twenty yards out which Niall McGinn sent over the Hibs wall, only for the ball to crash off the crossbar and be hooked away downfield. Seconds later a mazy run by Scott Allan was halted by Mackay Steven who had been fouling him continually during that run but was only pulled up for it when he downed Allan, earning a yellow card for his efforts. John McGinn took the resultant free kick but fired the ball over the bar.

The Dons started the second half the better team and both Cosgrove and substitute Stewart had efforts but neither of them reached Rocky who had faced little threat in the game. McGinn then forced Lewis into another save before Kamberi rushed in from the right but with only Lewis to beat he hit his shot straight at the Aberdeen keeper. It was end to end but scrappy at times and when the ref blew for full time it was honours even.

Leaving the ground I couldn’t help but reflect on the missed chances as had Maclaren’s penalty or header found the net I’m convinced we would have won the game. It spoke volumes to me that Lewis was voted Aberdeen man of the match whilst at the other end Rocky did not have one single shot on target to deal with.

Back at the car I missed Neil’s interview so I’m not sure what his take on the game was but I did hear Derek McInnes say something along the lines of them having had the best chances. I confess, I laughed out loud at that because they had no chances of note, other than the free kick that hit the bar whilst Hibs had a penalty, a free header at an empty net and a one on one which their goalkeeper saved.

Hearing that the Rangers had fluked three points with a very late winner had me scrambling to look at the league table and having done so and thought about the fixtures remaining for us, the Dons and the Rangers, I concluded that if we win our remaining two fixtures we still have an excellent chance of finishing second. Just think about that for a moment. We are newly promoted, we dumped our two principal strikers in January and signed a couple of guys the majority of us had never heard of and we were trailing behind both the Rangers and Aberdeen for most of that time. In essence, if anyone had posted a view that we had a chance of being second with two games left to play we’d probably have broken into a chorus of “ltyf” on the messageboard!

The players

Rocky – Had little or nothing to do except properly clear, by punching the ball, a couple of dangerous crosses (are you reading this, Willie Miller?)

Efe – I thought Efe was brilliant today and can’t recall a single ‘Efe moment.’ Defensively he was as solid as a rock and offensively he made good use of the ball when in possession. More of the same please, Efe.

Daz – With a minute or so to go, Daz needlessly headed the ball out for a corner. That action took a few seconds but for the rest of the ninety plus minutes he was absolutely immense and wins my man of the match award. It gives me extra pleasure to report this after having read a new thread during the week that basically ripped him.

Paul – Once again very solid at the back and if I was to be picky I’d say a few of his forward passes went astray. Paul’s distribution has been first class and perhaps that’s why those few stray passes today stick in the mind.

Boyler – Martin didn’t really stand out much today in an attacking sense but I put that down partly to the fact that he was doing sterling defensive work in helping to curb the threat of Mackay Steven.

Scotty – Today wasn’t his best day in green and white and yet he still managed to produce a number of breathtaking passes to free team mates up for a run at the Dons defence. I reckon he was kicked a good few times, mainly by Mackay Steven who got away with murder today.

Whitty – Steven came close to winning my man of the match award. I thought he was outstanding and proved beyond doubt that despite some Hibs fans declaring him to be ‘finished’ he is far from that.

SJM – Hacked down within sixty seconds of the game starting it was clear he was to be a marked man and marked is what I’m sure his legs will be. Despite that, he worked hard at pushing us forward but like Paul Hanlon he struck a few uncharacteristically wayward passes.

Lewis – It’s getting a bit monotonous saying Lewis was in the hunt for my man of the match award but it’s hard for me to avoid saying it when he turns in displays like today’s. On at least three occasions I watched him position himself to thwart quick passes into Aberdeen players in the box. You might say that’s his job and you’d be right but he does it really bloody well!

Flo – This just wasn’t Flo’s day today as he seemed forever caught on his heels and wasteful in possession. I don’t think it would be unfair to suggest this was his poorest performance since joining us. Maybe he’s saving his best for Wednesday!

Jamie – Did well to win the penalty and I find it hard to criticise his miss from the spot.
Keepers sometimes save penalties and this one did but the headed chance soon after was a gilt-edged opportunity and I find that one much harder to forgive.

Brandon – As effective as Brandon was against Killie he was pretty ineffective against Aberdeen, getting twenty five minutes to strut his stuff but pretty much failing to do so.

Dylan – Wearing the mask of Zorro, Dylan’s first contribution was stunning as he took a pass from McGinn and flicked it round his marker for SJM to run on to. I know he’s probably leaving at the end of the season and I have to say I will miss him as he is a very talented boy.

Lenny – Came straight over to the fans at the end of the game and was clearly taken with the tremendous backing we’d given the players. Must have been happy with the effort if not a bit disappointed with the outcome but I recall him saying this fixture would be the hardest of those to play after the split and so a draw may have been ok with him.

The fans – Absolutely brilliant from start to finish and I was particularly impressed with a group of guys along to the right of the singing section, when they started a green and white army chant that started with just them but grew and grew to take in the whole support.

John Beaton – Had both sets of fans booing him so he’ll no doubt consider “Job done”

3pm
05-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Top notch John. 👍🏻

Clerie Green
05-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy .

Sir David Gray
05-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Good report although we have lost at Parkhead since our last defeat at Pittodrie.

Jonnyboy
05-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Good report although we have lost at Parkhead since our last defeat at Pittodrie.

Ach, trust you to let facts get in the way :greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Ach, trust you to let facts get in the way :greengrin

Sorry :greengrin

Billy Whizz
05-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Great report as always John. Like you missed Neil’s after match interview. Heard McInnes, and he was raving about Mackay-Stevens performance. Come on Del, he’s a cheating we diver, who spent most of the game falling over, when he wasn’t in Lewis’s pocket

Onto the game, Hibs had the better chances, played all the football. Aberdeen played long ball, hoping for the scraps around this
Agree with your MOTM nominees, for me a toss up between McGregor and Whittaker
An excellent point, but could have been 3

One Day
05-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Very good report, spot on

HibernianJK
05-05-2018, 10:22 PM
I only managed to see the second half and thought it was pretty poor from both side which no one managing to hold on to the ball for any length of time. Ambrose was a stand out for me in the second half and we looked so much better on the ball when Mcgeouch came on. He must start his Hearts.

Carheenlea
05-05-2018, 10:55 PM
I only managed to see the second half and thought it was pretty poor from both side which no one managing to hold on to the ball for any length of time. Ambrose was a stand out for me in the second half and we looked so much better on the ball when Mcgeouch came on. He must start his Hearts.

After Dylan coming on we seemed to have possession of the ball a lot more than we had prior. He won’t be as easily replaced as some seem to think.

Bobby's Cinema
05-05-2018, 11:04 PM
I thought efe looked like he was capable of a so called moment all afternoon but fair play to him he got through it. What a difference when Dylan came on we need this man back fit. We struggled to get much meaningful possession the whole second half while they flashed a few dangerous balls across and tried to build pressure, until he came on and we regained control

Hibbyradge
05-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Ltfy

kaimendhibs
05-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Great report and pretty much how I saw it at the game[emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2018, 12:07 AM
This was a hell of a tough game and in all honesty a draw was probably a fair result with neither team impressing in the final third ... the ball was in Aberdeen's court to all but guarantee 3rd at least with a win so the point is probably a more positive result for us than them. My scores are based on 90 minutes of mental torture watching the game on TV so as usual I give way to anybody actually at the game who disagrees.

Marciano .... 6 ..... Didn't have too much to do because of a solid defensive effort in front of him, a couple of times I thought he could have been more decisive with cross balls into our box.

Ambrose .... 8 ..... Absolutely top notch for most of the game and even though he had me with my heart in my mouth a couple of times everything came off for him.

Hanlon .... 7 ..... Distribution was a bit more wayward than usual, but defensively he was sound, he seems to be pushing a lot further up the pitch these days.

McGregor .... 9 .... Absolutely f'ing immense winning ball after ball in and around our box.

Stevenson ..... 9.1 ..... My MOM .....He was absolutely fantastic and totally bossed the left hand side, cool on the ball made challenge upon challenge and he got forward really well, though some of the passes to him sold him short ... makes the Energizer bunny look like a lazy bassa.

Whittaker ..... 6 .... Sorry I cant agree with the OP on him, I was full of praise for his performance against Celtic and he was ok against Killie, but I thought today he lost the ball too many times and looked a bit lost in such an energetic game, he did one or two decent things and certainly wasn't terrible, but he's no replacement for Dylan in the long term.

McGinn ..... 7 ..... Worked his arse off and had a good run and shot in the 2nd half, wasn't quite as effective as he can be and his long passing was way below its usual standard, but made a nuisance of himself for the whole game and pleased my by giving GMS a dig on the touchline.

Allan .... 6 .... Flitted in and out of the game and didn't get much chance to play that killer ball, but to be fair he came close a couple of times. There are times he would serve the team better by playing the potentially just as effective obvious pass available to him than look for the world cup ball, but then I suppose that's just not him .... Christie I think it was should have been booked for a shocking tackle on him in the 2nd half.

Boyle .... 7 ..... Worked really hard and did a decent job defensively ... put in a great cross for McLaren and I'm not convinced he wasn't bundled over in the box at the very end, I've seen them given as they say.

McLaren .... 6 ..... Didn't make much of an impression and could have done better with a great cross from Boyle ... I'm not going to be too hard on him for the penalty, like me perhaps he didn't know that in Scotland apparently the keeper is allowed to be a yard off his line before the taker has actually made contact with the ball.

Kamberi ..... 6 ..... Didn't really make much of an impression, but had even less to work with than McLaren due to meagre service from midfield and out wide.

SUBS:

Barker ..... 4 ..... We just didn't get the ball to him enough in dangerous areas, though he did well at one point to get into the box and win us a corner.

McGeouch .... 6 ..... Our passing and movement improved big time when he came on.

The Ref ..... I actually thought he handled a tough game not too badly, apart from the penalty, its in the bloody rules that the keeper cant advance off his line and the Aberdeen keeper was so far off his when the ball was struck it was unmissable, its the refs job to look for that and he should have ordered a retake.

I cant fault the players for effort today, everybody on the pitch gave 100% without a doubt. Was this a good point for us? ....... beat the Yams and the answer will almost certainly be yes. Like I said pre match, if we can get to the final day with a win against the Huns guaranteeing us 2nd or 3rd that will do for me.

basehibby
06-05-2018, 02:36 AM
Great observations as ever JB but what about the penalty that should've been in time added on?!? Was a stone waller for me - last time I looked, clawing someone in the face was not a legal means of gaining possession of the football.

It was an even game of football but I resent yet another flakey decision going against us which probably cost us 2 points :wtf:

Jonnyboy
06-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Great observations as ever JB but what about the penalty that should've been in time added on?!? Was a stone waller for me - last time I looked, clawing someone in the face was not a legal means of gaining possession of the football.

It was an even game of football but I resent yet another flakey decision going against us which probably cost us 2 points :wtf:

The late penalty claim incident happened at the far end and so I couldn’t really see it well enough. Still haven’t seen it but you’re right, it was a stonewaller :greengrin

SChibs
06-05-2018, 10:38 AM
I seen marciano complaining to the ref that his arm was being held down which probably explains his one handed punches. There was always a crowd around him so it would be hard for the ref to see it

southsider
06-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Very good report, spot on

I would to see Brandon play thru the middle with Flo. Pace to burn.