PDA

View Full Version : Robertson and Teirney

Monts
03-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Undoubtedly two great Scottish talents, with the potential to go far. Robertson reaching the champions league final last night was great to see, from a Scottish perspective.

But isn't it Scotland's luck that they both play the same position.

Who's the better player, though? Who should get the nod at left back for Scotland? And how far can they both really go?

Diclonius
03-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Robertson is the better player so he should be left back, unless a Bale-style conversion to LW is a possibility.

Tierney still has to make the step up from rich perennial loser/bottom table English team (i.e. a Hull/West Brom/Bournemouth) before he can be considered in the same league as Robertson. There's no way he'll go straight from Celtic to a top six EPL team - there would be nowhere near as much hype if he came from Dundee Utd and Robertson made his name at Celtic.

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Robertson is miles better imo. Never been impressed with Tierney when I've seen him in person. Lewis was much better 2 weeks ago.

GlesgaeHibby
03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Undoubtedly two great Scottish talents, with the potential to go far. Robertson reaching the champions league final last night was great to see, from a Scottish perspective.

Who's the better player, though? Who should get the nod at left back for Scotland? And how far can they both really go?

Robertson is definitely the better player - performing week in, week out at a high level in England and in Europe. His energy, workrate, passing, crossing is all top notch. Tierney is a good player, but needs to move on from Celtic to reach his full potential.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Robertson is 3 years older than Tierney, so that puts him ahead of him just now
It’s great that we have this dilemma, but I think Tierney can play a lot of different positions, where as Robertson is predominantly a left back
I’m sure McLeish will find a way to play both of them though

calumhibee1
03-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Robertson is way better than Tierney. And I still rate Tierney.

GreenCastle
03-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Tierney is over rated like Rodgers.

Lennon and Stevenson showed that recently.

Godsahibby
03-05-2018, 06:24 PM
I can see us playing 3 at the back. Tierney on the left of the back 3 Robertson LWB.

SRHibs
03-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Paterson is really good as well although he’s being played in a more forward role now I think?

Billy Whizz
03-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Paterson is really good as well although he’s being played in a more forward role now I think?

He’s not at that level
Being played in midfield because Warnock said he can’t defend

Bostonhibby
03-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Robertson by a mile. He's established at a level I can't see Tierney reaching. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Barney McGrew
03-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Robertson made a great career decision by going to Hull, he learned his trade against better players, got his move to Liverpool and is now doing the same there against even better opponents. You only need to see how much he has improved throughout this season.

Tierney has the chance to be just as good IMO, but will only do that by moving away from Celtic to a league where he will consistently play against higher quality opposition.

Chip shop Joe
I do think that Robertson is a better player but I don’t think there is a huge amount in it. As stated above Tierney is a good bit younger and will only get better.

One of the boys at work is a Celtic season ticket holder and said that on their recent break abroad they did sprint testing and Tierney was the quickest player at the club which was a surprise to me. My money would have been on Sinclair.

SRHibs
He’s not at that level
Being played in midfield because Warnock said he can’t defend

Not as good as Robertson but maybe Tierney.

Since90+2
03-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Paterson is nowhere near the level of Tierney. He is a good athlete but technically he will struggle to play at a higher level.

The_Horde
03-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Robertson to LM for Scotland.. Has to happen

Billy Whizz
03-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Not in a million years
I think Tierney is a fabulous talent, one of the best young players I’ve seen come out of Scotland in years. He’s only 20

Iggy Pope
03-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Not in a million years
I think Tierney is a fabulous talent, one of the best young players I’ve seen come out of Scotland in years. He’s only 20

He's not yet come out of Scotland though. I think that's the pertinent point.

No doubting Paterson has upped a level from the ***** he was at before.

Sweet Left Peg
03-05-2018, 06:45 PM

I have said this for a couple of years. Play them both on the left and they will terrorise the opposition with their energy in overlapping, cutting inside, tracking back. They would be a terrific combination on the left. They are very similar players and would dovetail nicely in the National team. When we played Slovakia at Hampden, Tierney was plating right back. One of the principle reasons we scored late on was because he was subbed for Anya. Tierney's attacking threat is stifled if he plays on the right because he doesn't beat his man with the same fluency and doesn't get to the by-line. The pair of them on the left together would be frightening. We just need to find a decent right back.

Spike Mandela
03-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Two very good players that Scotland are lucky to have. Pity they will be managed by the has been McLeish.

JimboHibs
03-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Tierney is over rated like Rodgers.

Lennon and Stevenson showed that recently.

Over rated in what way ? are you saying the opposition to Celtic is terrible.

MagicSwirlingShip
03-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Play the both on the left side, Robertson full back, Tierney further forward.

Tierney is wasted on the right / as a centre back.

brog
03-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Two very good players that Scotland are lucky to have. Pity they will be managed by the has been McLeish.

We have Barry Douglas as well. Shame every other position is gash.

Dinkydoo
03-05-2018, 07:50 PM

Dinkydoo
03-05-2018, 07:50 PM

One of our worst players against Costa Rica

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
03-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Play the both on the left side, Robertson full back, Tierney further forward.

Tierney is wasted on the right / as a centre back.

Would be the other way about for me. Think Robertson going forward is the better of the 2

MagicSwirlingShip
03-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Would be the other way about for me. Think Robertson going forward is the better of the 2

He’s better defensively too 😂

frazeHFC
03-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Tierney is a great player, but Robertson is far better. Would like to see Tierney play centre half for Scotland and Robertson on the left obv.

neil7908
03-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Robertson is a great example of why players in Scotland should think twice before joining Celtic.

Yes Tierney is winning trophies at Celtic and getting a few games in the Champions League every couple of years but Robertson shows where a bit of ambition will get you.

Hull aren't exactly a massive club but he took a chance and now he's playing in the Champions League final.

ekhibee
03-05-2018, 08:29 PM
I think they're both really good players and I don't prefer Robertson just because Tierney plays for Celtic. Tierney is a brilliant young player, 3 years younger and with a great future ahead of him. Robertson is still young too and I've always liked him as a player. He's proved a lot of people wrong too, including those who thought he wouldn't cope with the move to Liverpool. Great player.

IGRIGI
03-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Throwing Patterson's name in with Tierney and Robertson, behave 😂

jacomo
03-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Robertson is 3 years older than Tierney, so that puts him ahead of him just now
It’s great that we have this dilemma, but I think Tierney can play a lot of different positions, where as Robertson is predominantly a left back
I’m sure McLeish will find a way to play both of them though

:agree:

Regardless that he is at Celtc, Tierney’s attitude seems absolutely spot on. He could well get a big move this summer if he wants it.

Robertson is obviously great.

Biggie
03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Strange one eh........did we not have the same issue with Danny mcgrain and sandy jardine in the right back position.
Whilst they could have used shades 😎 Did they not play one of them on the left ?
But 2 great fullbacks.....

CropleyWasGod
03-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Strange one eh........did we not have the same issue with Danny mcgrain and sandy jardine in the right back position.
Whilst they could have used shades 😎 Did they not play one of them on the left ?

McGrain :agree:

heretoday
03-05-2018, 09:28 PM
"But isn't it Scotland's luck that they both play the same position."

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. We're hardly going to drop either of them, are we?

Play one further forward FFS. Rocket science.

Unseen work
04-05-2018, 02:45 AM
Both exceptional young players and both should start for Scotland. We need to find ways to accommodate both playing imo.

Whether Robertson is left mid with Tierney behind him or Tierney is left of a 3/centre back.

Mental to think we also have Barry Douglas who has had an exceptional season for wolves.

Tierney would walk into most premier league teams imo. Man Utd should go for him imo.

Speedy
04-05-2018, 06:25 AM

It was the same with keepers over the last 10 years (Gordon/Marshall/Marshall) and years before with Goram/Leighton.

WeeRussell
04-05-2018, 12:52 PM
If pushed I do prefer Robertson, although both are cracking young players.

I think Tierney probably defends better of the two, but Robertson is such an asset going forward and has a great delivery. I also think Robertson has improved recently (probably Liverpool's best player, the glamorous attack aside?)

Just Jimmy
04-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Both exceptional young players and both should start for Scotland. We need to find ways to accommodate both playing imo.

Whether Robertson is left mid with Tierney behind him or Tierney is left of a 3/centre back.

Mental to think we also have Barry Douglas who has had an exceptional season for wolves.

Tierney would walk into most premier league teams imo. Man Utd should go for him imo.Utd have been strongly linked to him down here. Fans are still talking about it. it hasn't really went away most of the season and Mourinho's behaviour towards Shaw adds fuel to the left back question.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Smartie
04-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Hanlon's had a really good season for us as a sort of attacking centre back.

His ability (and Efe's) to come out of defence with the ball has been a big part of our success in the second part of this season.

I could see Robertson playing the role Stevenson does, and Tierney playing the role that Hanlon does for Scotland.

Only not as well as Hanlon and Stevenson obviously.

where'stheslope
04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
The biggest problem with young Scottish players, is that they are judged by fans as failures when they go down south even before a ball is kicked?
The other side of the coin, is if they don't move south (Scott Brown) they know they can't cut it in the bigger leagues?
All young players are pre-judged by most fans, because of who they play for whether they are good or bad!
Most young players would like to take the challenge, but mostly they hear, "wait a couple of years, then move", this is touted by clubs trying to get more money on hopefully improving players.
If a bigger club comes in for a good young player, by taking a chance it will always stop the thinking what ifs later in their career!
With Robertson, he took a chance on Hull, and he went from strength to strength, and ended up in a very good Liverpool side!!
With Tierney, most fans will say "its easy to play in a Celtic team that's better than any other in Scotland", and will only really be judged if he ever moves south to a similar sized club, which is a shame as down there it is every game is hard fought, while in Scotland, its maybe only once a month they are really tested!!!!

Michael
04-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Over rated in what way ? are you saying the opposition to Celtic is terrible.

(Not the OP) Wasn't particularly impressed by him in the games against us.

Seveno
04-05-2018, 04:41 PM
I would let both Robertson and Tierney learn their trade until Lewis decides to hang up his boots.

marleyhib
04-05-2018, 05:40 PM
This

marleyhib
04-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Can Tierney not play CB?