PDA

View Full Version : Return Of A Hibs Tradition

brog
03-05-2018, 10:55 AM
In our recent amazing run of 7 consecutive top level, home league wins this calendar year ( I'm still trying to check if it's a record ) it struck me just how much we've reverted to scoring for fun down the slope, even though there's no slope! We were drawing at h/t in 5 of our last 7 games & have scored 14:4 down the slope. This compares to 9:8 in our first 11 home league games. TBH I remember in the Championship several teams made us shoot toward the FF 1st half ( Ayr did in Cup also ) & I'm surprised it hasn't happened this season. Brings back many happy memories of games like Napoli & Sporting when we blew teams away down the slope in the 2nd half.
Opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope!
PS, should FF season ticket holders pay a premium? :wink:

Jack
03-05-2018, 11:19 AM
I think I say it every halftime to my chum!

WhileTheChief..
03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
We were talking about this at the Killie game.

When was the last time a team opted to change ends when winning the coin toss? Does it ever happen nowadays?

I don’t just mean at ER. Never see it on televised games either yet it used to be quite common.

KWJ
03-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Didn't a team do it quite recently against us, maybe away from home though. Perhaps we did it even. Kilmarnock away 2-2?

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2018, 12:18 PM
I still think of it as shooting down the slope :agree:

snooky
03-05-2018, 12:18 PM
In our recent amazing run of 7 consecutive top level, home league wins this calendar year ( I'm still trying to check if it's a record ) it struck me just how much we've reverted to scoring for fun down the slope, even though there's no slope! We were drawing at h/t in 5 of our last 7 games & have scored 14:4 down the slope. This compares to 9:8 in our first 11 home league games. TBH I remember in the Championship several teams made us shoot toward the FF 1st half ( Ayr did in Cup also ) & I'm surprised it hasn't happened this season. Brings back many happy memories of games like Napoli & Sporting when we blew teams away down the slope in the 2nd half.
Ironically, everything seemed to go doonhill after we got rid of the slope. :coffee:

jgl07
03-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Ironically, everything seemed to go doonhill after we got rid of the slope. :coffee:
The funny thing is that when they go rid of the slope it looked like the incline was in the opposite direction. The North and South Stands were designed with the removal of the slope in mind. I think it went when the West Stand was constructed and this was perfectly level. The East Terrace however followed the slope so it gave the impression that it fell away from the North to the South. This ended when the East Stand was constructed some years later.

I'm_cabbaged
03-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Didn't a team do it quite recently against us, maybe away from home though. Perhaps we did it even. Kilmarnock away 2-2?

We shot away from our end in the first half there.

Golden Bear
03-05-2018, 12:43 PM
On a similar theme, Martin Boyle always seems to be far more effective when we play towards the FF Stand. He seems to find acres of space down the right which isn't always the case when we play "uphill."

Onceinawhile
03-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe it's a fitness thing and we're stronger in the second half as we're fitter? (Or Lenny has put a rocket up them at half time). Either way it's an odd quirk.

green.oracle
03-05-2018, 01:04 PM

1973/74 season Hibs won their first 10 home league games b4 losing 4-2 to cellic in feb 74 in what was billed a league decider.

jacomo
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Psychologically it still exists.

:thumbsup:

snooky
03-05-2018, 01:09 PM
The funny thing is that when they go rid of the slope it looked like the incline was in the opposite direction. The North and South Stands were designed with the removal of the slope in mind. I think it went when the West Stand was constructed and this was perfectly level. The East Terrace however followed the slope so it gave the impression that it fell away from the North to the South. This ended when the East Stand was constructed some years later.

Ironically again, there were a of couple teams who continued not to play on a level playing field. :cool2:

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2018, 01:11 PM
On a similar theme, Martin Boyle always seems to be far more effective when we play towards the FF Stand. He seems to find acres of space down the right which isn't always the case when we play "uphill."

Gaps in the defence become more frequent as players tire so that makes sense

Blaster
03-05-2018, 01:13 PM

Game opens up more in the 2nd half which suits Boyle (and Allan & Mcginn). Sproule was the same

Leithenhibby
03-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Oh, that moment when you realise, we've won the toss.... 😂

Old habits die hard 👊

sundo1875
03-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Ayr United did it 3 times last season

Diclonius
03-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Speaking of which, what's the deal with Aberdeen always electing to kick off away from the away fans at Pittodrie? Is it because there are home fans at either end anyway?

silverhibee
03-05-2018, 01:43 PM

When was the last time a team opted to change ends when winning the coin toss? Does it ever happen nowadays?

I don’t just mean at ER. Never see it on televised games either yet it used to be quite common.

Sure I've seen it done at old firm games, away team hoping to play in to away fans in 2nd half.

Eyrie
03-05-2018, 03:07 PM

Must be an age thing because that's how I think of it too.

Arch Stanton
03-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Ayr United did it 3 times last season

I remember that. Winning the toss three times just seemed a bit unlikely.

hibbysam
03-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Speaking of which, what's the deal with Aberdeen always electing to kick off away from the away fans at Pittodrie? Is it because there are home fans at either end anyway?

Away fans sit at the side of the pitch?

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 04:10 PM
If Hibs win the toss on Saturday they should shoot towards the family stand first then shoot towards our end the second half, that will upset Aberdeen.

HibeeHibernian4
03-05-2018, 04:18 PM
If Hibs win the toss on Saturday they should shoot towards the family stand first then shoot towards our end the second half, that will upset Aberdeen.

:agree:

One of my favourite recent non-Hibs goals was scored by Motherwell in the 93rd minute down that end of Pittodrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9oi-E3YMTg

They took second from Aberdeen with that goal, let's take a leaf out their book.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
:agree:

One of my favourite recent non-Hibs goals was scored by Motherwell in the 93rd minute down that end of Pittodrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9oi-E3YMTg

They took second from Aberdeen with that goal, let's take a leaf out their book.

One of the most blatant fouls on a keeper you're ever likely to see!

SirDavidsNapper
03-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Due to the away fans being in the south stand, the chances of us shooting towards the south second half are next to none unless an away team try and mix it up. Sure it happened last season in the Championship and we didn't win

SChibs
03-05-2018, 06:27 PM
One of the most blatant fouls on a keeper you're ever likely to see!

No wonder Sutton signed for Hearts after play like that.

Jamesie
03-05-2018, 06:52 PM

I actually had to check this point with a referee recently as I was convinced there must have been a rule change regarding ends but apparently not - it just seems to be luck.

WhileTheChief..
03-05-2018, 06:57 PM
If we win the toss at Tynie we should swap ends. Just to annoy them a little.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 07:27 PM
If we win the toss at Tynie we should swap ends. Just to annoy them a little.

No, I always prefer shooting towards us in the second half, I think it gives the team a lift!

brog
03-05-2018, 07:37 PM
1973/74 season Hibs won their first 10 home league games b4 losing 4-2 to cellic in feb 74 in what was billed a league decider.

Nice one. I was at nearly every game that season but had no idea about that outstanding record.

WhileTheChief..
03-05-2018, 07:58 PM
No, I always prefer shooting towards us in the second half, I think it gives the team a lift!

So if we always shoot that way in the second half, is that because we’ve won the toss and chose it?

Or does that mean that we always lose the toss and Hearts chose to shoot that way??

Or, is the coin toss only about who kicks off whilst the direction we shoot is simply down to the end that each team does it warm up in?

If that’s the case, is it the home team that decides where to warm up or is the convention just that you warm up at the home end?

Important stuff this.

brog
03-05-2018, 08:05 PM
So if we always shoot that way in the second half, is that because we’ve won the toss and chose it?

Or does that mean that we always lose the toss and Hearts chose to shoot that way??

Or, is the coin toss only about who kicks off whilst the direction we shoot is simply down to the end that each team does it warm up in?

If that’s the case, is it the home team that decides where to warm up or is the convention just that you warm up at the home end?

Important stuff this.

You can also choose to kick off if you win the toss. I think that's what usually happens at ER if away team wins toss.

Forza Fred
04-05-2018, 05:21 AM

It will always be shooting ‘doon the slope’ to me.

Niffy
04-05-2018, 05:59 AM
Can’t remember the team , but at a match in the 80’s I can remember an away team at ER warming up and setting up to play in our half. Fans going mental.

Sorry can’t remember outcome either.

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2018, 06:16 AM
Can’t remember the team , but at a match in the 80’s I can remember an away team at ER warming up and setting up to play in our half. Fans going mental.

Sorry can’t remember outcome either.
Sounds like a trick that the old Airdrie would pull though probably not in our division then. They were a team of hammer throwing jambo rejects that would go out of their way to frustrate us at every turn especially in the nineties.

Green Man
04-05-2018, 01:27 PM
You can also choose to kick off if you win the toss. I think that's what usually happens at ER if away team wins toss.

That used to be the case but the rules changed a few ears ago so the team that wins the toss chooses ends and the team that loses the toss kicks off.

erin go bragh
04-05-2018, 02:02 PM
We shot away from our end in the first half there.
That was the 0-3 game . The 2-2 we shot and scored both our goals into the Hibs end .

Diclonius
04-05-2018, 02:19 PM
I can remember a few games at Tynecastle where the shooting order was changed. A 0-0 draw under Mixu (Fletcher missed a glorious chance right at the end) and both games in the 09-10 season (a 0-0 draw where Nish hit the bar and a 1-2 going on 1-7), both entirely forgettable games.

RyeSloan
04-05-2018, 03:14 PM
That used to be the case but the rules changed a few ears ago so the team that wins the toss chooses ends and the team that loses the toss kicks off.

Yeah I think you used to be able to choose to kick off or choose ends but not both.

Now if you win the toss you get to choose ends.

Certainly used to be a ‘thing’ back in the day teams changing ends and certainly a lot at ER when opponents would like to put us down the slope first half. But it’s something you simply don’t see much of these days.

I'm_cabbaged
04-05-2018, 07:19 PM
That was the 0-3 game . The 2-2 we shot and scored both our goals into the Hibs end .

No we never, all the goals were scored away from our end.

hibby6270
04-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Not a tradition returning. A tradition that has always been there and has never stopped for me.
Somehow, ‘shooting down the slope’ second half gives me a psychological boost at the start of the game. Sure it does for the players also. Long may it continue.

Hermit Crab
04-05-2018, 09:47 PM

The 0-3 game dirks and le gods goals were scored at the gorgie road end in the first half, Kenny Miller scored at our end in the second half.

The 2-2 cup game all 4 goals were scored at the roseburn end. 2 in each half.

poolman
04-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Yea, Doon the slope second half

It won't go away that one 😀

brog
04-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Not a tradition returning. A tradition that has always been there and has never stopped for me.
Somehow, ‘shooting down the slope’ second half gives me a psychological boost at the start of the game. Sure it does for the players also. Long may it continue.

Couldn't agree more. Without examining in detail however I think there's been much more equality in our performances in recent seasons re up/down the slope. With our 7 game winning streak though there's been a marked difference in performance, as per my OP. TBH I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but it certainly adds to the excitement & fun when it works!

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Opponents give up hope when we get them down the slope.

Anyone on here at the Sporting Lisbon game? Quality......!:flag:

erin go bragh
05-05-2018, 09:18 AM
I’m talking about both games at Rugby Park this season.

erin go bragh
05-05-2018, 09:21 AM
The 0-3 game dirks and le gods goals were scored at the gorgie road end in the first half, Kenny Miller scored at our end in the second half.

The 2-2 cup game all 4 goals were scored at the roseburn end. 2 in each half.
Yes HC But I was on about our 2 games at Rugby Park this season :cb As I thought the poster I quoted was too but now I don’t know :greengrin