PDA

View Full Version : new threat to players health

andybev1
02-05-2018, 05:25 PM
I was talking to someone today who is a friend of someone in the medical profession who recently helped an English championship player quit a stumilant drug called snus, a tobacco based stimulant which originated in sweden. I looked it up when I got home and came up with this story (one of a few): https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/snus-what-is-it-why-premier-league-footballers-jamie-vardy-illegal-uk/, seemingly 'The Daily Mail found a pouch of the smokeless tobacco lying in the Leicester City dugout at the King Power Stadium alongside used energy drinks bottles'.

Anyway, what is more worrying to me is that there is meant to be a problem in our premier league with this stimulant as well. Anyone else heard about this?

Pretty Boy
02-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Gunnarson used to use it when playing for us, it was clear as day. It's very common in Scandanavia.

calumhibee1
02-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Pretty sure it's what Lennon always has a tin of in his hands during interviews etc. I know Keatings was quite big into it when he was at Hibs.

brianmc
02-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Neil Lennon has happily admitted to using this product only a couple of weeks ago. If you watch TV pictures of him during a game you often see him puting in/taking out the pouches from under his top lip.
He claims there's no stimulant properties in it - it's just nicotine ....

*Too slow!

andybev1
02-05-2018, 05:37 PM
I am glad to hear it is seemingly not as bad a problem as I had heard. I thought I had read it was made illegal in the 80-90's though.

edit: cheers

Just Alf
02-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Reminds me a bit of those old tobacco chewing pouches that used to get advertised.. And were actually banned before anything was done regarding fags.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HFC_NYC
02-05-2018, 05:41 PM
I was always meaning to ask if Lennon was a tobacco chewer as I often see him placing something in his cheeks during the games on Hibs TV.

andybev1
02-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Neil Lennon has happily admitted to using this product only a couple of weeks ago. If you watch TV pictures of him during a game you often see him puting in/taking out the pouches from under his top lip.
He claims there's no stimulant properties in it - it's just nicotine ....

*Too slow!
you need some Snoos :wink:

stantonhibby
02-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Reminds me a bit of those old tobacco chewing pouches that used to get advertised.. And were actually banned before anything was done regarding fags.

Skoal Bandits or something ?

Just Alf
02-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Skoal Bandits or something ?That's it!... I seem to remember stock cars advertising it :-)

andybev1
02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Skoal Bandits or something ?

Think those were later said to have given ppl mouth cancer - ironic

stantonhibby
02-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Think those were later said to have given ppl mouth cancer - ironic

Yeah.....vaguely remember them being banned. I think they were made in Scotland at one point.

Smartie
02-05-2018, 05:59 PM
It is horrific stuff and should be avoided like the plague.

Oral cancer is grim, and the treatment of it is often life-changing, mutilating surgery.

There is a very good reason why it is not on sale in the UK, and I would urge anyone thinking about using this stuff to think again.

The use of it should not be spoken of lightly, and I'd hope that some sort of article might appear over the next few days to counter the "well, Neil Lennon and Jamie Vardy use it" angle.

FastEddieFelson
02-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Sure the cameras caught O'Connor putting some into his mouth as soon as he was subbed off, during his second spell.

PeeKay
02-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Oral cancer is grim, and the treatment of it is often life-changing, mutilating surgery.

There is a very good reason why it is not on sale in the UK, and I would urge anyone thinking about using this stuff to think again.

The use of it should not be spoken of lightly, and I'd hope that some sort of article might appear over the next few days to counter the "well, Neil Lennon and Jamie Vardy use it" angle.

No evidence that Snus is linked to oral cancers. There is however an increased risk of pancreatic cancer although no direct causal link has been established.

Tinribs
02-05-2018, 08:18 PM
No evidence that Snus is linked to oral cancers. There is however an increased risk of pancreatic cancer although no direct causal link has been established.
This^
Without going into a rant, the evidence that was used to get the stuff banned re oral cancer, has been thoroughly debunked. Sweden got dispensation to keep it legal in their territory, and they now have the lowest percentage of smokers in the EU.

Ozyhibby
02-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Don’t know anything about chewing tobacco but I’m certain that there will be a massive amount of performance enhancing drugs being used in football. The testing regime is almost non existent compared to other sports because football doesn’t really want to know. The financial rewards mean it would be madness really for a young player not to go down this route to get that contract. Almost zero risk of being caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
02-05-2018, 08:22 PM
I stand corrected.

But I won't be using the stuff any time soon.

TRC
02-05-2018, 08:25 PM
What a load of Tom kite. It's just another form of tobacco, stimulant?? no more so than having a fag.

WhileTheChief..
02-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Tried Snoos a few times years ago. From memory it was just flavoured tobacco in a mini teabag thing.

Tasted ok but I don’t remember it being a stimulant at all.

Colr
02-05-2018, 08:57 PM
I was talking to someone today who is a friend of someone in the medical profession who recently helped an English championship player quit a stumilant drug called snus, a tobacco based stimulant which originated in sweden. I looked it up when I got home and came up with this story (one of a few): https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/snus-what-is-it-why-premier-league-footballers-jamie-vardy-illegal-uk/, seemingly 'The Daily Mail found a pouch of the smokeless tobacco lying in the Leicester City dugout at the King Power Stadium alongside used energy drinks bottles'.

Anyway, what is more worrying to me is that there is meant to be a problem in our premier league with this stimulant as well. Anyone else heard about this?

That’s been around for ever. It’s chewing tobacco rather than snuff. Snuff goes up you nose.

Remember both doing the rounds at school.

edinburghhibee
02-05-2018, 09:46 PM
While staying in goteborg I saw most on my mates at the time taking this. I tried it a couple times and it’s no nice at all. I wouldn’t say it’s a stimulant tho it’s just nicotine. And it turns your teeth a minging yellow colour when you have it in. Or so I remember anyway.

KWJ
02-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Used it a few times but as a non smoker it wasnt for me. Swedish mates were big on it and the Norweigens that came to the pub
. No problem with it, especially if it's an alternative to smoking.

Juice-Terry
03-05-2018, 05:45 AM

The use of it should not be spoken of lightly, and I'd hope that some sort of article might appear over the next few days to counter the "well, Neil Lennon and Jamie Vardy use it" angle.Sorry, but that's just pish. As others have pointed out, there's no evidence to link it to cancer. And whenever there's a new scare about snus it's usually started by people producing and/or selling cigarettes because they fear a serious loss in profits should the EU lift its ridiculous ban on snus. Being Swedish, and having used snus for about 35 years (and not the poncy pouch version, but the proper original loose stuff), I am a living testament to the fact that it makes you (even more) sexy, cool, intelligent, and strong.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
03-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Don’t know anything about chewing tobacco but I’m certain that there will be a massive amount of performance enhancing drugs being used in football. The testing regime is almost non existent compared to other sports because football doesn’t really want to know. The financial rewards mean it would be madness really for a young player not to go down this route to get that contract. Almost zero risk of being caught.

Usual ill-informed scaremongering "everybody's on drugs". The level of testing in football in Scotland is low because the long-term objective evidence points to the fact that it is not a high risk sport for PEDs, not compared to rugby, weighlifting, cycling, athletics etc. As such, UK Anti-Doping do not fund any tests for Scottish football. The SFA has to fund its own testing programme, at least that was the case a year or so ago - not checked recently. No one is naive enough to think there will be no pro footballers in Scotland using PEDs, but it is more likely at lower levels and as individuals. A BBC investigation last year revealed that 39% of players in the EFL were NOT tested. That means 61% were tested! That being the case, if PEDS was a big problem in football why not a mass of positives? Those that you do get are usually for social drugs.
Mind you, I do think Craig Levein should be "dope" tested 'cos he undoubtedly is one.