PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sky Sport - La Liga

Lendo
02-05-2018, 12:23 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/02/sky-sports-loses-la-liga-rights-newcomer-eleven-sports/

Sky have lost the rights to show La Liga in the UK and Ireland. Lost out to some online based companies that are linked to Leeds United I believe. All very strange. Maybe they'll show Scottish games to fill the void (highly unlikely)

Diclonius
02-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Hopefully not, Sky Sports' coverage of Scottish football is awful and I unsubscribed from them due to their astronomical prices. Hopefully they lose all the rights for Scottish games to BT Sport.

LaMotta
02-05-2018, 03:18 PM
It's much better for the consumer if all the football is on one platform. When there are various broadcasters bidding against each other all it does is drive up the price the leagues and club receive, and the consumer has to pay more to watch it! :brickwall

Billy Whizz
02-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I certainly won’t be subscribing to any other pay per view channels.

Just Jimmy
02-05-2018, 03:32 PM
terrible. as someone said it's worse for the consumer. when everything was on sky it was one single payment. now you need to pay sky and bt and if you care now you need to pay someone random. will sky give you money off cos of this? will they hell. we'll just get told more cricket or rugby or other crap sport to replace it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
02-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Expect another rise on your bill shortly after this announcement.

Show less and less, charge more and more. It’s the sky way and it’s getting beyond a joke.

Weststandwanab
02-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Expect another rise on your bill shortly after this announcement.

Show less and less, charge more and more. It’s the sky way and it’s getting beyond a joke.

I think any Scots football fan that pays any money to Sky should have a word with themselves.

IGRIGI
02-05-2018, 04:51 PM
They will do their standard in charging more to funnel money into English football, any Scottish football fan paying for that is off their head.

GreenOnions
02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
I think any Scots football fan that pays any money to Sky should have a word with themselves.

Just tried that and it was a waste of time ;-)

Eyrie
02-05-2018, 06:57 PM

Immediate response was that we don't have Sky for the occasional Hibs game but for rugby, cricket and NFL.

I'm not getting in an argument with myself again - can turn very nasty very quickly as I know all the weak spots to target.

The Pointer
02-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Pro14 rugby have sold their souls to two companies, Premier Sports and Free Sports, so no Friday nights watching Edinburgh or Glasgow with beer in hand on Alba. Apparently one game per round will be shown live and free - big deal. Sounds so 'Setanta', so I won't be subscribing to a diddy TV channel who won't televise anything else worth watching.

At a time when Scottish rugby is failing to attract interest they go and shoot themselves in the foot.

WhileTheChief..
02-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Instead of Sky or BT it will soon be Facebook, Netflix or Amazon that we’re watching football on.

To folk saying it was better with one provider, we’ll thats a monopoly in every sense which is never good for the consumer.

Amazon Prime for under £10 a month with all the football you could want. I’m all for it.

Mantis Toboggan
02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Instead of Sky or BT it will soon be Facebook, Netflix or Amazon that we’re watching football on.

To folk saying it was better with one provider, we’ll thats a monopoly in every sense which is never good for the consumer.

Amazon Prime for under £10 a month with all the football you could want. I’m all for it.

Long term that will surely happen
You can get it right now in fact so long as you're not bothered about less than 100% service...

ScottB
02-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Long term that will surely happen
You can get it right now in fact so long as you're not bothered about less than 100% service...

Long term, things not unlike the stillborn SPL TV is the way I suspect. F1 is rolling out their approach in the markets not stuck with Sky deals, wouldn’t be surprised to see other sports cut out the middle man and just stream direct to the consumer.

steve75
03-05-2018, 07:17 AM
This is as far from 'worse for the consumer' as can be. Genuine competition can only be good for the consumer.

Just look at Sky, same model for sports as far back as I can remember. Then BT come along at daftly cheap prices(initially) and all of a sudden you can pick and choose which sky sports channels you want.

It needs to be a two pronged approach though. The idea of competition will go right out the window if consumers just pay whatever they are told. You have to be willing to haggle/cancel or you can't complain when they up your price. Honestly, if you think your Sky is too much then walk away for a bit.

This isn't everyone, but I'm certain most people who think it's better on one provider pay sky like £150p/m and just want it all for that. Make the effort to haggle and shop around and you could have it all for sub £100 through various providers.

Or really make the effort and figure out how to steal it. Give your money to illegal providers and VPN services, this won't only drive prices, but it's drive the industry in a new direction much quicker. The rise of Netflix and fall of torrenting is proof of that. People don't necessarily want to steal, they just wan't a decent service at a decent price.

Sammy7nil
03-05-2018, 08:55 AM

I think anyone who thinks this needs to have a word with themselves :wink::greengrin

norhfc
03-05-2018, 09:05 AM
I will not be subscribing to Sky after this season. I had it to watch EPL but my interest in this has all but disappeared. Add that to their pisstake attitude to Scottish football it’s time to hit them where it hurts.
I live abroad and am more than happy with HibsTv.

WeeRussell
03-05-2018, 09:23 AM

Can't agree. Will be many on here that get all they need from Scottish football by attending Easter Road, and get their 'other sports' fix in abundance from Sky TV.

Doesn't get away from the fact they take the p1ss though.. and not just out of us Scottish football fans.

Sylar
03-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Pro14 rugby have sold their souls to two companies, Premier Sports and Free Sports, so no Friday nights watching Edinburgh or Glasgow with beer in hand on Alba. Apparently one game per round will be shown live and free - big deal. Sounds so 'Setanta', so I won't be subscribing to a diddy TV channel who won't televise anything else worth watching.

At a time when Scottish rugby is failing to attract interest they go and shoot themselves in the foot.

I was livid at this myself, particularly for when Edinburgh are away from home. Also made me question the ongoing sustainability of BBC Alba as a channel, as I'd be willing to bet the spikes in viewing figures they've received covering the Pro14 (and odd Championship games) are now going to disappear entirely. Though apparently, discussions are still ongoing with Welsh rugby to provide Welsh language coverage of the games via S4C?

It'll force me to go to most of the home games next year though, which is good for Edinburgh and good for Scottish rugby, particularly if more fans follow suit.

SirDavidsNapper
03-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Sky have been ripping the urine out the Scottish game for years since the SETANTA thing fell apart. What they pay is insulting when they plough obscene amounts into the English game but we don't really have a choice. Any of our games covered by SKY i watch on Mobdro. Stuff them.

B.H.F.C
03-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Sky have been ripping the urine out the Scottish game for years since the SETANTA thing fell apart. What they pay is insulting when they plough obscene amounts into the English game but we don't really have a choice. Any of our games covered by SKY i watch on Mobdro. Stuff them.

I know the common view is that Sky rip the pish. But there is more fault with the incompetent folk running the game and their inability to secure a decent deal. If Sky can get it for peanuts then they’re hardly going to offer more - they’re a business.

I do agree that their coverage is poor though. Poor, uninspiring pundits.

lord bunberry
03-05-2018, 01:49 PM

Sky are moving towards online only services. I would imagine it’s to combat things like you say above
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38756577

overdrive
03-05-2018, 01:54 PM
I was livid at this myself, particularly for when Edinburgh are away from home. Also made me question the ongoing sustainability of BBC Alba as a channel, as I'd be willing to bet the spikes in viewing figures they've received covering the Pro14 (and odd Championship games) are now going to disappear entirely. Though apparently, discussions are still ongoing with Welsh rugby to provide Welsh language coverage of the games via S4C?

It'll force me to go to most of the home games next year though, which is good for Edinburgh and good for Scottish rugby, particularly if more fans follow suit.

I think their business case to get European funding was based on bumping their viewing figures with the rugby and football matches.

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2018, 06:46 PM

cannae believe folk pay over 100 quid tae watch SKY,1200 quid ayear? I also have Mobdro or whatever its called, good quality aswell, wish ah was smart enough tae link it tae ma laptop. There are so many ways tae watch games now and other sports ah widnae think of payin fir it.
Although I may invest in Hibs TV:wink: for next season.

WhileTheChief..
03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
If Scottish football was smart we’d already be talking to the online giants about it.

Amazon paid hundreds of millions for Jeremy Clarkson’s The Grand Tour and didn’t increase their prices at all. That was for around 10 hours worth of tv.

They can easily outbid Sky. They have a worldwide audience and could be showing hundreds of live games each week from across Europe. They don’t need to increase their prices at all, it’s down to the sheer number of Prime subscribers. Potentially hundreds of millions of new customers.

We we should be in for a slice of it now. If Gerrard goes to Rangers the profile of our game goes up a notch overnight. Whether he’s a success or a failure it will be news around the world.

We really need to seize the opportunity.