PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mike

ozwoody
02-05-2018, 10:23 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tributes-paid-to-popular-edinburgh-publican-michael-dickson-1-4733352

Anyone that grew up in the 80s knew Mike and Sheila from the bar.
I was lucky enough to meet with Mike as I played for the pub in the early 80s (i think 3 of us were a bit on the younger side of 18 then) Always had opposition teams back for pies and pints.The guy was an absolute gent and my deepest respects go out to his family and friends

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family and many friends of Mike Dickson.
I recently lost my wife to this terrible disease.

I did not know Mike well as i did not use the bar much during his time in charge.
(it was known as the Mine Host years ago when i did go often)

My brother Jimmy did go there sometimes along with Joe Baker and other former Hibernian players
I recall a time i was in the pub during Mike's time.
Joe Baker was standing at far end of the bar and when Jimmy O'Rourke walked in.
The crowd opened up and Jimmy went on both knees and bowed to his hero Joe Baker.
The staff and regulars enjoyed that moment.
Such a great place to be on match days and a vey well loved host in Mike it appears from the tributes elsewhere.
My brother would have known Mike from his Holy Cross days as will some contributors i know on here.
May he rest in peace.

Iggy Pope
02-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Bad news. Having grown up yards from Tamsons (or the Mine Host) Mike was a big figure in my early drinking. Good Hibby and a gent.
Also remember Sheila well. My old man often had to interject on the swearing on her behalf although I'm sure she could manage.
Never touch Tennents now but Mike's pint around 80-84 was a thing of beauty.
He did a few nights in Tamsons including a Pat Stanton tribute night when you couldn't swing a cat. Mind you, that could apply to the old place most nights.

RIP fellah.

tamsonsbairn
03-05-2018, 02:35 PM
I have good memories of Mike, he was the owner of tamsons when I was offered the lease, which i took. Mike was a great guy to deal with and was always ready to give advice when needed. Condolences to his family at this sad time.