PDA

View Full Version : Sky - Lack of Respect

HibsNutter
01-05-2018, 10:13 PM
How long will it be before the SPFL cuts ties with this lot?

Watching The Debate there, listening to patronising chat wherein Dennis Wise actually said "there are only two teams in Scotland". This, after chatting about Gerrard/Rangers and how they "only need to catch Celtic", despite being level with us and behind Aberdeen.

Couple this with the general lack of punditry knowledge about Scottish football, funny lad Jeff Stelling calling Raith Rovers "Roath Ravers" every week (Banter!) and the complete lack of effort into the build up for even the biggest games. Contrast this with BT Sport, who actually make an effort to promote the game up here.

Surely the pittance in revenue they provide is not worth it considering the constant downplaying? **** them.

lord bunberry
01-05-2018, 10:23 PM

Watching The Debate there, listening to patronising chat wherein Dennis Wise actually said "there are only two teams in Scotland". This, after chatting about Gerrard/Rangers and how they "only need to catch Celtic", despite being level with us and behind Aberdeen.

Couple this with the general lack of punditry knowledge about Scottish football, funny lad Jeff Stelling calling them Raith Rovers "Roath Ravers" every week (Banter!) and the complete lack of effort into the build up for even the biggest games. Contrast this with BT Sport, who actually make an effort to promote the game up here.

Surely the pittance in revenue they provide is not worth it considering the constant downplaying? **** them.
As Luke Shanley says though Sky do at least talk about Scottish football. Most of it I agree doesn’t really show it in a great light. BT’s match coverage is so much better, but other than that we don’t get a mention. I just wish we could start talking up our game and making it more attractive to broadcasters.

monktonharp
01-05-2018, 10:24 PM

Couple this with the general lack of punditry knowledge about Scottish football, funny lad Jeff Stelling calling them Raith Rovers "Roath Ravers" every week (Banter!) and the complete lack of effort into the build up for even the biggest games. Contrast this with BT Sport, who actually make an effort to promote the game up here.

Surely the pittance in revenue they provide is not worth it considering the constant downplaying? **** them.stopped buying it 2 years ago. cant stand most of their commentators or pundits, and hate how they call the shots for game times etc.

LancsHibs
01-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Didn’t see this ‘debate’ but yes Sky Sports is rubbish and Dennis Wise is a wee fud

KWJ
01-05-2018, 10:26 PM
My thinking when I hear the arguement that the broadcasters demand 4 OF games a season is that surely 2 would be worth a lot more money as it's rare.

We need considerably better marketing people in our game and someone that can sell it.

LaMotta
01-05-2018, 10:27 PM
BBC was the same on MOTD with Shearer and Ian Wright peddling similar guff.

southern hibby
01-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Got rid of Sky about a year ago. Not missed it once.

GGTTH

Austinho
01-05-2018, 10:28 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-scottish-football-no-longer-10130604

Quite simply put: **** Sky.

givescotlandfreedom
01-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Great when Sutton is on BT down south with these sorts and they try their nonsense. He shows up their ignorance well and always talks our game up.

IncredibleHibee
01-05-2018, 10:46 PM
I wouldnt even say its a lack of respect, its a sheer lack of knowledge. They are so ignorant down their and just jump on the bandwagon of 'scottish football isn't great' without actually taking the time to find out and make their own mind up. Its telling that most 'big name players' that come up the road say they are shocked that the standard is as good as it is because they gobble up the tripe served up that scottish football is terrible.

DavieRoy
01-05-2018, 10:47 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-scottish-football-no-longer-10130604

It is not as if Richard Keys has an axe to grind!!

If memory serves, they always had the Scottish Cup and Scotland games after they lost the League coverage (thanks to awful decision making by the SPL), another example of The Daily Record shouting loud enough and people will believe it.

lord bunberry
01-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Great when Sutton is on BT down south with these sorts and they try their nonsense. He shows up their ignorance well and always talks our game up.
Yes I completely agree. That’s what sky don’t have, their coverage is good, but it doesn’t really promote our game. When we had the rivals weekend a few weeks ago the Edinburgh derby kicked it off and it really showed what sky could do if they wanted.

DavieRoy
01-05-2018, 10:51 PM
If BT want the rights, they have to put up the money. They only pay 1/3 of the current deal compared to Sky’s 2/3.

Also, they need to do more than just the live games. They have made out they do the extra show but it is really just extended build-up and the show is not on when they don’t have a live game.

The highlights show on a Monday is bought in from a production company and not done by BT themselves.

Sky and BBC do much more regularly, regardless of the quality. Sky is saturated by English football and ignorance like the example above is not good.

greenlex
01-05-2018, 11:03 PM
I wish Scottish football would tell tv to gtf or vice versa.

lord bunberry
01-05-2018, 11:04 PM
If BT want the rights, they have to put up the money. They only pay 1/3 of the current deal compared to Sky’s 2/3.

Also, they need to do more than just the live games. They have made out they do the extra show but it is really just extended build-up and the show is not on when they don’t have a live game.

The highlights show on a Monday is bought in from a production company and not done by BT themselves.

Sky and BBC do much more regularly, regardless of the quality. Sky is saturated by English football and ignorance like the example above is not good.
Maybe the example above thinks sky can do better than it’s currently doing. The example above clearly said that sky when it wants to can put on a really good production of Scottish football. Not sure what your problem with my post was, unless it’s a failure to take criticism.

DavieRoy
01-05-2018, 11:09 PM
I wish Scottish football would tell tv to gtf or vice versa.

How would we replace TV cash? More fans? We are already at capacity. So increase prices then. Clubs won’t vote for money out of their budgets, especially the smaller clubs.

What is required is a better relationship with TV. Maybe sell less games, the SPFL sell 60 Scottish Premiership games. Sell 50 instead. Also, promote the league better by ensuring the best games are on TV.

We moan when games get moved but people were on here when Aberdeen at home wasn’t on TV, can’t have it both ways.

The clubs via the league accept the deal. If TV offer crap money and poor kick off times and the league accept it, blame our clubs.

This time, they need to get set slots in the tender otherwise TV will move games to any time. The lazy argument is blame TV, are our clubs maybe naive and weak. We should look at both sides of the spectrum.

DavieRoy
01-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Maybe the example above thinks sky can do better than it’s currently doing. The example above clearly said that sky when it wants to can put on a really good production of Scottish football. Not sure what your problem with my post was, unless it’s a failure to take criticism.

I agree, I, like you, are looking at both sides of the argument here. We are in arguement about the pros and cons of both channels.

The narrative at the minute on Twitter from fans is Sky and BBC are crap and BT are great. Sky and BBC don’t help themselves and familiarity breeds contempt. BT have mixed it up and the other two can do so much more. When you look at what BT do it is good but not enough. You used a great Sky example of doing it right.

BT picked Aberdeen v Hearts last week when they should have gone for Aberdeen v Hibernian. Fair enough, maybe they needed to take a game in that slot last week.

My worry with BT is, what games would they pick if they had full rights. Probably the Old Firm away.

shetlandhibee
01-05-2018, 11:17 PM
yea it was cringworthy ok.. he,ll never get and easier start in football at a big club, in scotland he only has to beat 1 team, where as in the championship he,ll have 16 to get ahead off.. no brainer was used a lot :rolleyes: as to whether he should take the job. LOOOOOOOOOL:faf:

monktonharp
01-05-2018, 11:17 PM
I wouldnt even say its a lack of respect, its a sheer lack of knowledge. They are so ignorant down their and just jump on the bandwagon of 'scottish football isn't great' without actually taking the time to find out and make their own mind up. Its telling that most 'big name players' that come up the road say they are shocked that the standard is as good as it is because they gobble up the tripe served up that scottish football is terrible.:agree:If they'd been at some of ours this season, versus Celtic 4 times, against Aberdeen 3 times, against Killie and against der h............ooooops sevco a couple of times they would have seen some great games. added to that some other matches involving Killie, Motherwell
Dundee and dare I say the gorgie mo....nah, that's tain it too far but there have been matches that could put some of the English championship and Premier to shame!

snooky
02-05-2018, 12:20 AM
It is not as if Richard Keys has an axe to grind!!

If memory serves, they always had the Scottish Cup and Scotland games after they lost the League coverage (thanks to awful decision making by the SPL), another example of The Daily Record shouting loud enough and people will believe it.

Mr Keys also says he still doesn't know why Rangers had to go down to the bottom league (There's his first mistake - they didn't) as they weren't found guilty of doing anything wrong.
Mind you, he's talking to the Daily Ranger here so what he actually said could be something entirely different.

Steve-O
02-05-2018, 01:26 AM
As Luke Shanley says though Sky do at least talk about Scottish football. Most of it I agree doesn’t really show it in a great light. BT’s match coverage is so much better, but other than that we don’t get a mention. I just wish we could start talking up our game and making it more attractive to broadcasters.

You have to wonder if it's better being not talked about at all rather than completely misrepresented?

Steve-O
02-05-2018, 01:31 AM

Mitchell was an idiot back then. We were getting plenty money from Sky back then and that buffoon turned it down thinking that SPL TV could be a goer.

Although the idea of an SPFL streaming service, for example, could be a good idea now, it was just never going to happen back then IMO.

So we lost a 60 million deal and had to take about 10% of that from the BBC! All the top players left and as stated, we're still paying the price now.

ruthven_raiders
02-05-2018, 05:42 AM
stopped buying it 2 years ago. cant stand most of their commentators or pundits, and hate how they call the shots for game times etc.

I stopped sky sports 2 years ago and stopped listening to the BBC and the guardian football podcasts..... Hardly watch football on tv except sportsmen. Much prefer going to a game.

SirDavidsNapper
02-05-2018, 05:46 AM

Couple this with the general lack of punditry knowledge about Scottish football, funny lad Jeff Stelling calling Raith Rovers "Roath Ravers" every week (Banter!) and the complete lack of effort into the build up for even the biggest games. Contrast this with BT Sport, who actually make an effort to promote the game up here.

Dennis Wise is an ignorant wee welt who can't see north of London. Not the only one down there.

Beefster
02-05-2018, 05:48 AM
If BT had the bulk of the EPL packages, they’d be exactly the same as Sky. Resources would be aimed at promoting their cash cow.

Sky will be fully aware how much subscriptions are driven completely by their coverage of Scottish football and it won’t be many.

One Day
02-05-2018, 06:11 AM
]I wouldnt even say its a lack of respect, its a sheer lack of knowledge[/B]. They are so ignorant down their and just jump on the bandwagon of 'scottish football isn't great' without actually taking the time to find out and make their own mind up. Its telling that most 'big name players' that come up the road say they are shocked that the standard is as good as it is because they gobble up the tripe served up that scottish football is terrible.

I agree. They are ignorant of Scottish football and when pushed come out with the same sh*t. Rangers Celtic, Celtic Rangers pash

Forza Fred
02-05-2018, 06:19 AM
It’s not only Sky that think there are only two teams In Scotland.

When being introduced out here and they pick up my Scottish accent, I am frequently asked ‘Rangers or Celtic?”

Whether we like it or not that is the perception.

worcesterhibby
02-05-2018, 11:50 AM
maybe Gerard coming to Rangers will be just what we need. Sky and the MSM will see it as a battle between the ex liverpool giants...Rogers V Gerard...but maybe just maybe all this will highlight is that both Hibs and Aberdeen are better than Rangers. I would love it if Rangers came 4th under Gerard and get royally stuffed by Hibs 4 times next season.

ben johnson
02-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Mr Keys also says he still doesn't know why Rangers had to go down to the bottom league (There's his first mistake - they didn't) as they weren't found guilty of doing anything wrong.
Mind you, he's talking to the Daily Ranger here so what he actually said could be something entirely different.

Best pal Andy Gray would have made sure he sided with the Ibrox line

hibbydog
02-05-2018, 12:39 PM
I can understand why they have always thought it's been a 2 horse race up here, but that was before Rangers went dud and became a tribute act. The Rangers are now not as good as Aberdeen or Hibs and it's astonishing that they dont understand that - a quick glance at the league table and head to head records confirms it. These are people who are paid to talk knowledgeably about football as well.

There's a general ignorance and arrogance around people like Shearer and Wise who think The Rangers and Gerrard are a good fit for each other. I think it's going to be a disaster and I hope it is !!

NAE NOOKIE
02-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Yes, I saw that as well when they were discussing Gerard for the Sevco job ..... I think it was Shearer who said Gerard should jump at the chance "its a no brainer" was his opinion, which proves exactly what he knows about the current situation at Ibrox.

I have a dream that Hibs make it to the last pre qualifying round for the group stages of the Europa league draw Burnley and knock them out .... given their ignorance of anything in Scotland outside of the Ugly sisters it would probably result in questions in parliament and a calls for a root and branch overhaul of the whole English game.

The other good thing about that is the English paying public seem pretty apathetic to the early rounds of European football, we would probably be able to ask for 8,000 tickets and I have no doubt sell the lot :greengrin

MB62
02-05-2018, 01:25 PM
:agree:If they'd been at some of ours this season, versus Celtic 4 times, against Aberdeen 3 times, against Killie and against der h............ooooops sevco a couple of times they would have seen some great games. added to that some other matches involving Killie, Motherwell
Dundee and dare I say the gorgie mo....nah, that's tain it too far but there have been matches that could put some of the English championship and Premier to shame!

Everton v Newcastle last week, what an absolute bore fest that was.

Northernhibee
02-05-2018, 01:27 PM
I hate threads like this. Dennis Wise is perfectly entitled to his opinion and to express it, just as much as we're entitled to disagree with it. It doesn't mean Sky are being disrespectful.

I'd rather people let their views be aired because then they can be argued with.

Keith_M
02-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Be honest, is it any wonder they only ever talk about two Scottish clubs outside of Scotland? Lots of people in Scotland, including large parts of the Media and SFA/SPFL only think two clubs matter.

There's also the slight issue that it's now 35 years since anybody else won the league up here.

The only other country I know where two clubs pretty much have every league title sewn up between them is Portugal, but even they had a short spell at the turn of the century where the titles went to two other clubs for a couple of years or so.

hibbydog
02-05-2018, 09:35 PM
I hate threads like this. Dennis Wise is perfectly entitled to his opinion and to express it, just as much as we're entitled to disagree with it. It doesn't mean Sky are being disrespectful.

I'd rather people let their views be aired because then they can be argued with.

I don’t disagree. It just gets up my nose when those opinions don’t seem to be based on any knowledge. In fact it just smacks of arrogance

monktonharp
03-05-2018, 12:50 AM

I'd rather people let their views be aired because then they can be argued with.I totally disagree. they are arrogant and ignorant about our game up here. we, and they all know the huge fan base difference between the old firm and the rest but to somehow suggest that they are knowledgeable about the Scottish game as a whole is totally wrong. and apart from that, wee wisey is still a fud

Just Jimmy
03-05-2018, 05:16 AM
Be honest, is it any wonder they only ever talk about two Scottish clubs outside of Scotland? Lots of people in Scotland, including large parts of the Media and SFA/SPFL only think two clubs matter.

There's also the slight issue that it's now 35 years since anybody else won the league up here.

The only other country I know where two clubs pretty much have every league title sewn up between them is Portugal, but even they had a short spell at the turn of the century where the titles went to two other clubs for a couple of years or so.every major league is the same.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ryan69
03-05-2018, 05:50 AM

The only other country I know where two clubs pretty much have every league title sewn up between them is Portugal, but even they had a short spell at the turn of the century where the titles went to two other clubs for a couple of years or so.

Switzerland,Belarus,Norway,Spain,Ukraine,Greece,Cr oatia.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Switzerland,Belarus,Norway,Spain,Ukraine,Greece,Cr oatia.

Atletico madrid, Valencia and Deportivo have recentky won it in Spain.

Zazu62
03-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Can u imagine Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson discussing the likes of Hamilton and Hearts on a Saturday afternoon?

IncredibleHibee
03-05-2018, 10:23 AM
It shows they have no knowledge when guys like Shearer says that Stevie G taking the rangers job is a ‘no-brainer’. He clearly doesn’t know the shambles they are in. John Barnes saying that rangers won’t be expecting to challenge Celtc for a few more years - eh no they are so deluded they expect to be challenging now and that is why they are getting rid of Murty. So basically if you have absolutely no knowledge on a subject don’t give an opinion on it as it’s meaningless. It’s like me giving my opinion on the best type of soil to grow vegetables, I’ve no idea so i’ll Keep my trap shut

Northernhibee
03-05-2018, 10:28 AM
I totally disagree. they are arrogant and ignorant about our game up here. we, and they all know the huge fan base difference between the old firm and the rest but to somehow suggest that they are knowledgeable about the Scottish game as a whole is totally wrong. and apart from that, wee wisey is still a fud

The thing is, it's not arrogant to be wrong about something. If I was to say that Spanish football was a two team league that'd make me wrong but it wouldn't make me arrogant.

If someone is ignorant, you educate them. Calling them a fud does nothing, it puts them off and I feel that (understandably) we're a bit defensive about the game up here as Hibs fans because where Rangers and Celtic are much bigger brands in terms of marketing this tends to lead to more awareness of them, and certainly the history of the last 20 years of Scottish football would back up the idea it's a two team league.

If you look at the live commentaries on the Guardian site etc. from 21st of May they pay their dues to how good a cup final the Scottish game produced, more exciting than the FA cup final later that same day. The more we can get clubs like ourselves, Aberdeen, Killie who compete with Rangers and Celtic noticed elsewhere the more we progress our game. We've played some absolutely fantastic football the second half of this season but our SFA and SPFL are awful at shouting about it.

Kato
03-05-2018, 10:41 AM
The thing is, it's not arrogant to be wrong about something..

Correct, in this case it's ignorance.

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Their ignorance and opinions on anything to do with Scottish football is pathetic, and the way they give their opinions is arrogant.

They are convinced they are right, and cant see any other option. They cant or even wont see the truth thats there in front of them regarding the state of The Rangers.

They ignore whats happened and is currently happening, and fail to take any of this into consideration when talking about Scottish football.

The likes of Dennis Wise Gary Lineker, and Alan Shearer know nothing about Scottish football other than the bigot brothers.

They wouldn't be able to name any player in any team other than Celtic, i bet they wouldn't be able to name more than a handful of huns too.

It is arrogant to go on national telly, and give an opinion and try and pass it off as informed, when they know nothing about it, but know and want the old firm back to how it was, as that was what they liked.

They ignored the rest of Scottish football then, and are continuing to do it now.

Kato
03-05-2018, 11:31 AM
It is arrogant to go on national telly, and give an opinion and try and pass it off as informed,

Especially given the multi-millions they get paid for doing so.

Bad Martini
03-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Spot on. Pair of ********s. To be fair, they did say there was only one team they had to beat. That would be ourselves or perhaps the sheep, as they start their aspirations for third place.

The pish spouted by them all is disrespectful but fully expected.

WHEN they don't take second place, win **** all and are found out (again) we will see what is said. I don't expect anything more than excuses and pish about them being back where they "belong" soon etc.

Best ignored. Tossers.:flag:

hibbydog
03-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Their ignorance and opinions on anything to do with Scottish football is pathetic, and the way they give their opinions is arrogant.

They are convinced they are right, and cant see any other option. They cant or even wont see the truth thats there in front of them regarding the state of The Rangers.

They ignore whats happened and is currently happening, and fail to take any of this into consideration when talking about Scottish football.

The likes of Dennis Wise Gary Lineker, and Alan Shearer know nothing about Scottish football other than the bigot brothers.

They wouldn't be able to name any player in any team other than Celtic, i bet they wouldn't be able to name more than a handful of huns too.

It is arrogant to go on national telly, and give an opinion and try and pass it off as informed, when they know nothing about it, but know and want the old firm back to how it was, as that was what they liked.

They ignored the rest of Scottish football then, and are continuing to do it now.

Spot on. There's a difference between arrogance and ignorance. For example, I know **** all about underwater basket weaving, but I'm not so arrogant to go on telly and tell everyone what I think about it.

Thecat23
03-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Thing is it would be good for them to actually back up these things with facts. This season Hibs and Aberdeen have been as good if not better so to just dismiss the rest of the league is laughable.

If they said it’s more competitive up here now, but The Rangers are still a big pool to some managers then I think more would respect that.

Thecat23
03-05-2018, 12:44 PM
What I am shocked at is Alan Shearer as he knows about Hibs and the job Neil Lennon is doing. He’s also been to EM and seen the set up there. To just dismiss us is a bit baffling.

Booker5time
03-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Lets be honest the English media has always thaough we been a pretty backwater rubbish league, we could be playing tiki-taka, Spanish football up here and we still be crap. It's just that we share a media platform that we have to here it.

If you ever had the misfortune of being on one of the English club messageboard, when the subject of Scottish football come up, it's the same. The players are piss we all non League, league 2 standerd up here :rolleyes:

Kato
03-05-2018, 01:02 PM
underwater basket weaving

Am going on a course soon bud, will you give an update.

Northernhibee
03-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Correct, in this case it's ignorance.

Correct, and the cure to ignorance is knowledge which our SFA are failing to educate others with through their awful marketing of the league.