PDA

View Full Version : The Likely Lads

Northernhibee
01-05-2018, 07:43 PM
I've seen "Time for Heroes Pt. 2" being banded about re: this team and thought that this team deserved their own moniker.

Time for Heroes for the 2016 cup winning team was such an apt title (and a great Libertines song). Years, months and weeks of disappointment culminating in a moment of destiny, comebacks (Conrad Logan, 2-2, Halliday) and a manager who rebuilt the club in his 100th and final appearance.

I was listening to the Libertines tune "What Became Of The Likely Lads" earlier and thought it would be an apt name for this squad. This season has been yet another incredible story. Characters. Heroes (Murray with his goals in the derby and at Ibrox), villians, unlikely comebacks (Scott Allan), heroes becoming not quite villiains but you know what I mean (Stokes). When we looked as if we were toiling in January and we lost both our top strikers the cavalry arrived - Kamberi and MacLaren. New faces to the first team impressed - Shaw and Porteous - and wise old faces kept things in check (Lewis, Whittaker etc). There's a tinge of sadness as we may be seeing the end of our midfield pairing of McGinn and McGeouch.

Nobody knows what will become of this season - whether it's 2nd, 3rd or 4th but it will almost certainly go down to the last game of the season. Nobody knows if we'll be in Europe next season, nobody knows where our favourite players will end up but it's been a season of passion, of laughter (which beggars belief), of sadness. Finishing second wouldn't be something you could have dreamed of when we were drawing with the likes of Ayr United at Easter Road the season before but it might just happen.

So aye, I'd put forward "The Likely Lads" as a name for the team as it's an odd bunch of players but my word has it been an entertaining and great season, and it's far from over yet.

I've admittedly had quite a few beers tonight :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBlEo2NlsY

Greenbeard
01-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Personally, it doesn't fit for me. For me the Likely Lads will always be two Geordies trying to get through the day not hearing or learning the England score from an afternoon match in Bulgaria so they can watch the highlights on telly that night not already knowing the score. Classic comedy. Available on YouTube so won't spoil it for those of a younger generation who have not seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty81_fvmV4s

CMurdoch
01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Personally, it doesn't fit for me. For me the Likely Lads will always be two Geordies trying to get through the day not hearing or learning the England score from an afternoon match in Bulgaria so they can watch the highlights on telly that night not already knowing the score. Classic comedy. Available on YouTube so won't spoil it for those of a younger generation who have not seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty81_fvmV4s

I thought the thread would be about this.
My son and I have decided to re-enact it on Saturday when we try to avoid the Aberdeen match until 6pm when it is shown in a delayed broadcast on Alba :greengrin.

Doh Rae Me
02-05-2018, 06:12 AM
I met Rodney Bewes once, he was so far up his own a#$e that I thought he'd changed occupation to proctologist.
It's a no from me.

One Day
02-05-2018, 06:27 AM
I met Rodney Bewes once, he was so far up his own a#$e that I thought he'd changed occupation to proctologist.
It's a no from me.

I was always lead to believe that he was the nice one out of the two of them and that James Bolam was an arrogant twat

Greenbeard
02-05-2018, 06:56 AM
I thought the thread would be about this.
My son and I have decided to re-enact it on Saturday when we try to avoid the Aberdeen match until 6pm when it is shown in a delayed broadcast on Alba :greengrin.
Snap - whatever that is in Gaelic. Probably "snap".

CMurdoch
05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
It's a no from me.

:greengrin What age was he when u met him?

Hiber-nation
05-05-2018, 12:01 PM
It's a no from me.

Haha, my mate said the very same thing when he met him at his Festival show.

Skol
05-05-2018, 12:12 PM
I heard that Bolam really hated Bewes and held a grudge which effectively cost Bewes money as he blocked the shows being aired as repeats and prevented Bewes getting royalties. Bolam had other succuss and so didnt need the income. It puts another light on the acting when Bolam sneered at Bewes and didnt much like him and was more reality than acting !

Smartie
05-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Can anyone in Aberdeen update me on what the weather is like before I take myself offline for a few hours?

Doh Rae Me
05-05-2018, 12:36 PM
:greengrin What age was he when u met him?

Was probably about 10 years ago, he was up doing something for the festival, which was probably him talking about his favourite subject, himself.

SuperAllyMcleod
05-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I heard that Bolam really hated Bewes and held a grudge which effectively cost Bewes money as he blocked the shows being aired as repeats and prevented Bewes getting royalties. Bolam had other succuss and so didnt need the income. It puts another light on the acting when Bolam sneered at Bewes and didnt much like him and was more reality than acting !

They were fine during filming - good mates. When Bolam’s wife fell pregnant he wanted to keep it quiet but Bewes blabbed to the press and he never forgave him.

Pity, it was a classic comedy. I bought the box set from Amazon just after Bewes died and have only recently finished watching them all again. Still funny.

CMurdoch
05-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Was probably about 10 years ago, he was up doing something for the festival, which was probably him talking about his favourite subject, himself.

I saw the last show he did at the festival 2 years ago.
He had that desperate old guy thing going on where he wanted to remind you at every turn that he was big time.