PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen pre match

Hibby70
01-05-2018, 06:19 AM
On the 8:28 from Waverley so will be in Aberdeen from 11. So will be trying to find a boozer that:
A) allows kids
B) serves deceny grub
C) shows football on TV
D) isn't a ****hole

Any recommendations?

One Day
01-05-2018, 06:40 AM
Would be good to know where every one is going

Garymcl
01-05-2018, 10:23 AM
It would be good if someone who knows good pub in town centre where most of us hibbys can meet up before the game :flag:

Billy Whizz
01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
It would be good if someone who knows good pub in town centre where most of us hibbys can meet up before the game :flag:

It’s to be a nice day, head down to the beach esplanade

Hermit Crab
01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
On the 8:28 from Waverley so will be in Aberdeen from 11. So will be trying to find a boozer that:
A) allows kids
B) serves deceny grub
C) shows football on TV
D) isn't a ****hole

Any recommendations?

Mind you'll not get a bevvy on the train as its banned before 10am, I actually think its dry trains this Saturday anyway with police travelling up on them. Will try to find out more at work tonight.

Hermit Crab
01-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Peep Peeps bar by the dock, child friendly bunch and you wont get any trouble in there. :aok:

https://youtu.be/v_guDN7IZ0U

01-05-2018, 10:38 AM
I usually go to a bit off Union street where there’s a few pubs. To be honest I’ve never quite found anywhere with a concentration of hibs fans when we’re up there.

Northernhibee
01-05-2018, 10:41 AM
I don't think football colours may be welcome but there are a whole bundle of great craft beer bars now. Fierce are just round the corner from the cinema on Union St, Six Degrees North are round the corner from Marischal College. Both great places for a drink.

Hibernian Verse
01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Either Brewdog. If we win, you'll have a great time. Lose and you won't remember the match anyway :greengrin

Stokesy's on fire
01-05-2018, 11:17 AM
A) allows kids
B) serves deceny grub
C) shows football on TV
D) isn't a ****hole

Any recommendations?

This could be a problem Aberdeen is populated by deluded huns and even more deluded dons fans

Stokesy's on fire
01-05-2018, 11:20 AM
A) allows kids
B) serves deceny grub
C) shows football on TV
D) isn't a ****hole

Any recommendations?

HALO Bar is decent serves a nice breakfast for £4.95 and also has football on

danhibees1875
01-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Mind you'll not get a bevvy on the train as its banned before 10am, I actually think its dry trains this Saturday anyway with police travelling up on them. Will try to find out more at work tonight.

That's a good point; where would I find out which trains are dry/what the rules are?

Are non-football fans not allowed to drink also? These trains, I would have thought, will be the London to Aberdeen Virgin trains and have a fair amount of traffic on them not for the game. :dunno:

Hermit Crab
01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
That's a good point; where would I find out which trains are dry/what the rules are?

Are non-football fans not allowed to drink also? These trains, I would have thought, will be the London to Aberdeen Virgin trains and have a fair amount of traffic on them not for the game. :dunno:

Non football fans are bound by the dry trains as well, if there is dry train its all operators not just ScotRail. VTEC actually ban drinking alcohol and the sale of alcohol on certain trains between Aberdeen and Newcastle, this is because in the past there has been a lot of trouble with stag and hen parties being disruptive so they decided to ban booze altogether between these stations on certain days and train. I can tell you that on Fridays booze is most definitely banned on most services between Aberdeen and Newcastle, not sure about Saturdays though.

There only 1 train you can get that is not ScotRail , thats the 10:28 Virgin Trains service arriving in Aberdeen about 1pm.

ScotRail ban booze between 9pm and 10am every night of the week.

danhibees1875
01-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Non football fans are bound by the dry trains as well, if there is dry train its all operators not just ScotRail. VTEC actually ban drinking alcohol and the sale of alcohol on certain trains between Aberdeen and Newcastle, this is because in the past there has been a lot of trouble with stag and hen parties being disruptive so they decided to ban booze altogether between these stations on certain days and train. I can tell you that on Fridays booze is most definitely banned on most services between Aberdeen and Newcastle, not sure about Saturdays though.

There only 1 train you can get that is not ScotRail , thats the 10:28 Virgin Trains service arriving in Aberdeen about 1pm.

ScotRail ban booze between 9pm and 10am every night of the week.

Thanks - that all makes sense. :aok: although I get a Friday train from Edinburgh to York quite a lot and never had any ban. I'll just keep an eye out for Saturday's trains over the next couple days. :aok:

Edit: aye, it's the Virgin train I'm on. And it's Virgin that operate the ones I was talking about above, so that probably explains it.

Hermit Crab
01-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Thanks - that all makes sense. :aok: although I get a Friday train from Edinburgh to York quite a lot and never had any ban. I'll just keep an eye out for Saturday's trains over the next couple days. :aok:

Edit: aye, it's the Virgin train I'm on. And it's Virgin that operate the ones I was talking about above, so that probably explains it.

Thats because the booze ban only effects Virgin trains starting at Aberdeen and travelling to Aberdeen. Trains that start/terminate at Edinburgh are usually unaffected by booze bans unless theres something major on like Rugby or something.

danhibees1875
01-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Thats because the booze ban only effects Virgin trains starting at Aberdeen and travelling to Aberdeen. Trains that start/terminate at Edinburgh are usually unaffected by booze bans unless theres something major on like Rugby or something.

Cool - thanks for the info! :aok:

SuperAllyMcleod
01-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Good luck finding a pub that can hold 2000+ Hibs fans [emoji3]

The weather looks ok, I may try and get an ice cream and sit on the beach.

Frazerbob
01-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Halo is the pub of choice for the North East Scotland branch. It was pretty busy last time we played up here both pre and post match. It will be busier this time with the later KO and double the support. I’ll give them a shout to let them know they will be busy so they staff up.

Albanian Hibs
01-05-2018, 01:32 PM
We were on the 7.30am last time and drank all the way on the train. Obviously we were fairly discreet. Some other Hibees had their carry out on the tables and no one bothered. Had no problems going into bars with the hibs scarf on. Think the locals felt bad for us after the game right enough. Before the game we were in the Wetherspoons which is a 5 min walk from the station and a 5 min taxi (I think!) from Pitoddrie.

Carheenlea
01-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Halo is the pub of choice for the North East Scotland branch. It was pretty busy last time we played up here both ore and post match. It will be busier this time with the later KO and double the support. I’ll give them a shout to staff up.

Had an enjoyable few hours in there last time - very hospitable and Hibs friendly. Plenty large screens for Sports/football. Highly recommend if looking to kill time before return train.

18Hibee75
01-05-2018, 03:51 PM
There's a few of us going halo as well [emoji106] there was a decent amount of hibbies last time, and as mentioned before should be busier this time.

Nice, friendly place and I seem to remember a few bairns being about as well. Never had any food, but having looked it up, the scran looks decent too [emoji122]

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

ian cruise
01-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Love Aberdeen away games, all this pre match chat I'm making me gutted I'll be missing it this time.

EH6 Hibby
01-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Silly question I’d imagine, but are there any supporters buses that allow drinking if you’re discreet? The one I go on for Hampden games does, but I’m guessing that’s the exception. Not talking about getting hammered, just a wee Coke bottle with something pre mixed.

sleeping giant
01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm taking the car. Any idea where is best to park for away fans.

linlithgowhibbie
01-05-2018, 04:47 PM

By the beach near the funfair, 10 mins stroll to the ground

Billy Whizz
01-05-2018, 04:48 PM

Somewhere just off Beach Boulevard if you’re early enough

monktonharp
01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Thats because the booze ban only effects Virgin trains starting at Aberdeen and travelling to Aberdeen. Trains that start/terminate at Edinburgh are usually unaffected by booze bans unless theres something major on like Rugby or something.you sayin' there's nothing major this Saturday then:confused: :wink:

monktonharp
01-05-2018, 11:08 PM
Silly question I’d imagine, but are there any supporters buses that allow drinking if you’re discreet? The one I go on for Hampden games does, but I’m guessing that’s the exception. Not talking about getting hammered, just a wee Coke bottle with something pre mixed.:spider::tsk tsk:any bus convenor worth their salt, would never allow you to drink on the bus. It is a large minimum fine £500 I think for the driver, plus his points on the liscence and grief from his office , added to the same fine for the stated bus convenor. Our bus will have a sign posted on entry to it regarding the Swally" and if you told me you were drinking coke, then drink your coke.:wink: Seriously though, it is a sair one to get caught doing it. Our bus is full to the brim, setting off very early (first in the toon I think) and this is because we have booked a place, slightly out of the Granite city, to enjoy a few drinks. no need to "tank up|". bring sannies. Besides, we need to arrive early before other buses as they may eat aw the pies.

Frazerbob
02-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Spoken to the guys at Halo and they are looking forward to welcoming everyone again. They have promised more staff this time and might even open upstairs if needed. (Upstairs is called ‘7’ and is normally a ‘gentleman’s entertainment’ venue.......

mim
02-05-2018, 01:33 PM
HALO Bar is decent serves a nice breakfast for £4.95 and also has football on

Good pub :agree:

Jay
02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Spoken to the guys at Halo and they are looking forward to welcoming everyone again. They have promised more staff this time and might even open upstairs if needed. (Upstairs is called ‘7’ and is normally a ‘gentleman’s entertainment’ venue.......

:shocked: :faint:

Hibby70
02-05-2018, 03:41 PM
and might even open upstairs if needed. (Upstairs is called ‘7’ and is normally a ‘gentleman’s entertainment’ venue.......

Good, I like a game of billiards, dominos and a cigar....

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Confirmed this morning that all trains to/from Aberdeen will be dry on Saturday, police likely to be at Waverley/Haymarket taking booze off people/bag searches possible and they will likely travel on the 08:28, 09:28, 10:28 and 11:28 services to Aberdeen. Assuming the same applies on the 17:09, 18:18 and 19:11 services from Aberdeen. The 20:09 and 21:04 services to Edinburgh are covered by ScotRails own drink ban anyway.

Just passing on what I was told.

Hibby70
03-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Confirmed this morning that all trains to/from Aberdeen will be dry on Saturday, police likely to be at Waverley/Haymarket taking booze off people/bag searches possible and they will likely travel on the 08:28, 09:28, 10:28 and 11:28 services to Aberdeen. Assuming the same applies on the 17:09, 18:18 and 19:11 services from Aberdeen. The 20:09 and 21:04 services to Edinburgh are covered by ScotRails own drink ban anyway.

Just passing on what I was told.

Scotrail site still just showing a ban from 16:30, no mention of earlier trains to Aberdeen.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Scotrail site still just showing a ban from 16:30, no mention of earlier trains to Aberdeen.

Posters will be up at stations later today so Im told.

B.H.F.C
03-05-2018, 10:18 AM
We’re on the 10:28 Virgin train and my mate tweeted them about it. They responded saying no ban.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 10:25 AM
We’re on the 10:28 Virgin train and my mate tweeted them about it. They responded saying no ban.

Think police can still stop you taking it on even if the TOC says no ban, theres so many railway bylaws they can enforce.

danhibees1875
03-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Posters will be up at stations later today so Im told.

Thank you for passing on the information HC, much appreciated. :aok:

I'm surprised that the only warnings would be some posters a couple of days in advance though - surely they should be highlighting it a bit more prominently than that.

I was going to take a couple of tins on the train with me as it'll be a tight turnaround getting in to Aberdeen at 1 and hotel check-in before going to the game so it's probably my groups only chance for a pre-game drink. However, I dare say we'll survive until 5:30 without it. :greengrin

Frazerbob
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Just be subtle. Pre-mixed spirits in soft drink bottles and you’ll be fine. Even a few well conceeled beers will be fine. Just don’t march up the platform with cases of beer or waving bottles of Bucky about.

green&left
03-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Just be subtle. Pre-mixed spirits in soft drink bottles and you’ll be fine. Even a few well conceeled beers will be fine. Just don’t march up the platform with cases of beer or waving bottles of Bucky about.

Depends on how strict they enforce it.

The dry-trains to Glasgow for semi's/finals they'd walk the platform and that's it, get a bevvy no bother. Coming home from Aberdeen a few years back we were stopped entering the platform by about 8 polis who searched and patted us down taking our hidden cans. Weirdo's.

Carheenlea
03-05-2018, 11:39 AM
They were selling drink on the trains after the last trip to Ibrox. Took a couple of beers on with us for trip through for what is a far more incendiary fixture. Suppose the thinking may be that on the longer journey to Aberdeen, some could go over the top by bringing large quantities on and ultimately making a nuisance of themselves. Shame for the majority who would just want to mind their own business and enjoy their day out with a couple of quiet drinks for the journey.

ewanb2
03-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Scotrail replied to a few people on twitter saying there’s a ban from 1630 till 2100 when the normal ban comes into force. No mention of anything for the morning trip up so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j'adore hibs
03-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Virgin EC have tweeted that its ok for booze on the 10:28 :hmmm:

Daydreamer
03-05-2018, 02:22 PM

On 10.28 Virgin. Table booked and small carry out for Coach E. common sense prevails

Pretty Boy
03-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Not sure if it's still around but the Saltoun was my local for a while in Aberdeen. No frills pub about a 10 minute walk from the ground, usually accomodating to away fans although it will likely be a mixed crowd.

If you head into town the Prince of Wales is always worth a visit. Not sure if Aitchies is still open but a good stop off 2 minutes from the train station.

DarrenSQH
03-05-2018, 02:52 PM
My mate works for scotrail. trip up is ok to drink he says. dry trains only after game.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 02:56 PM
My mate works for scotrail. trip up is ok to drink he says. dry trains only after game.

What do they do?

j'adore hibs
03-05-2018, 03:34 PM

there will be a trolley service too if you forget to stock up

Moulin Yarns
03-05-2018, 03:54 PM

Good to know. I'm in Aberdeen on the 12th for an event the next day.

Hermit Crab
03-05-2018, 04:01 PM
there will be a trolley service too if you forget to stock up

Not always, thats usually the first to get binned if they're short staffed. :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
03-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Anyone else driving up? I’m planning to leave Leith at 10am, and my two passengers want to have a drink pre match in Aberdeen? Google maps said 2 and a half hours so thought that was plenty time, now reading the pre match advice saying to leave early due to bank holiday. Really would prefer not to have to leave any earlier because my son has a game and this way I can watch his first half. What’s people’s thoughts?

Frazerbob
03-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Anyone else driving up? I’m planning to leave Leith at 10am, and my two passengers want to have a drink pre match in Aberdeen? Google maps said 2 and a half hours so thought that was plenty time, now reading the pre match advice saying to leave early due to bank holiday. Really would prefer not to have to leave any earlier because my son has a game and this way I can watch his first half. What’s people’s thoughts?

It can be a 3+ hour journey these days with average speed cameras between Dundee & Aberdeen. Also a few 50mph zones due the new by-pass being built around Stonehaven.