PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker's goal

matty_f
29-04-2018, 01:30 AM
Better than Boyd's free kick imho. Spotted the space, timed his run perfectly, great pass from SJM and the finish, first time on the volley on the run... Wonderful bit of football.

pacorosssco
29-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Better than Boyd's free kick imho. Spotted the space, timed his run perfectly, great pass from SJM and the finish, first time on the volley on the run... Wonderful bit of football.

Was clever ball mcgino and good finish on volley but boyds was a belter

ToffeeCabbage
29-04-2018, 02:01 AM
Sorry but the Boyd free kick wins by miles. Total rocket that stunned me into fear/silence till Barker settled the nerves [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
29-04-2018, 02:02 AM

I’ve read a few mentions of Boyd’s kick, saying if Ronaldo or Messi had done it then it would be raved about.

I dont agree. It was a good strike, one of the best set-piece goals in our league this season, but no more than that. There will be at least a couple of them per season in our league.

Whittaker’s goal was a beauty. The timing and execution of the pass from McGinn was as good as anything he’s done. The technique by Whitts to take it and put it away in the manner he did was top-class.

All this bearing in mind that Whittaker was meant to be playing defensive mid. He’s not a striker, he’s barely just become a defensive mid, yet he saw and made the run and had the ability to finish.

One of the things I like most about Lennon's strategy and tactics is he finds ways to create the overloads, where we find ourselves a man up - sometimes Ambrose, sometimes Hanlon, in this case Whitts.

Sir David Gray
29-04-2018, 02:13 AM
I’ve read a few mentions of Boyd’s kick, saying if Ronaldo or Messi had done it then it would be raved about.

I dont agree. It was a good strike, one of the best set-piece goals in our league this season, but no more than that. There will be at least a couple of them per season in our league.

Whittaker’s goal was a beauty. The timing and execution of the pass from McGinn was as good as anything he’s done. The technique by Whitts to take it and put it away in the manner he did was top-class.

All this bearing in mind that Whittaker was meant to be playing defensive mid. He’s not a striker, he’s barely just become a defensive mid, yet he saw and made the run and had the ability to finish.

One of the things I like most about Lennon's strategy and tactics is he finds ways to create the overloads, where we find ourselves a man up - sometimes Ambrose, sometimes Hanlon, in this case Whitts.

Agree.

Boyd's free kick was superb but it wasn't even the best goal of the game, never mind the goal of the season.

Andymac85
29-04-2018, 05:42 AM
Incredible game yesterday and lots of outstanding performances, but am I the only one that thought, aside from his goal, that Whittaker was really poor? The amount of times he gave the ball away/was outmuscled or outpaced/hit suicide passes to other players was remarkable.

ian cruise
29-04-2018, 05:46 AM

Boyd has always had that in his locker, I'll always remember an absolute beauty against Dunfermline when he played for Rangers as it was the first time I noticed it, it was from miles out.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Boyd has always had that in his locker, I'll always remember an absolute beauty against Dunfermline when he played for Rangers as it was the first time I noticed it, it was from miles out.

I might be wrong, but did he not score a freekick for Killie against us at ER in Mowbrays first league match, where they beat us 1-0?

Pretty Boy
29-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Boyd and Whittaker scored 2 very different goals.

Whittaker's was a nice team goal, 3 or 4 passes to keep possesion, great ball by McGinn, great run by Whittaker and a brilliant finish on the run. Boyds scored one of those strikes that just stuns you into silence when it's against you. You almost heard the 'wow' when it hit the net. It was a brilliant strike and the way it moved at the end was a great bit of skill; claiming otherwise is just a bit churlish.

If I had to pick then I'd say Whittaker scored the better goal because I love a team move but if either won goal of the season there couldn't be many complaints.

easty
29-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Incredible game yesterday and lots of outstanding performances, but am I the only one that thought, aside from his goal, that Whittaker was really poor? The amount of times he gave the ball away/was outmuscled or outpaced/hit suicide passes to other players was remarkable.

I thought he was terrible.

Great finish, nae doubt about that though.

IGRIGI
29-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Two seconds before he scored I was about to write on the match day thread that he should be replaced by Swanson.

Glad I'm not in the dugout but then I agree he wasn't having the best of games.

SChibs
29-04-2018, 07:31 AM

Lennon said in his interview he thought whittaker had a really good game. I thought he was average myself

Famous Fiver
29-04-2018, 07:45 AM
For all of us nostalgia buffs isn't it great that we've got Whittaker and Stevenson as a link back to our previous top team featuring the golden generation?

flash
29-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Great goal and a decent performance by him. Some folk need to take a day off.

erin go bragh
29-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Great move and a lovely finish but if Kamberi had scored that free kick :cb
Best free kick I’ve seen scored against us since Cooper scored against us at Mordor in the 2nd leg of the league cup in the mid 80s . Another thing they strikes have in common is that they both counted for nothing. Knocked the Huns out 2-1 on agg .

madhatter
29-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Whittaker played ok, certainly wasn't terrible. He did play 3-4 terrible passes, however he got stuck in and made some really good challenges to break up play. Obviously can play better but not terrible.

GreenOnions
29-04-2018, 08:06 AM
I know what you mean. He did misplace some passes. However, on the plus side, he made some excellent tackles and dealt well defensively with a good Killie side playing with confidence. His calmness under pressure is also a big asset to the team.He has been out for a fair chunk of the season and I think we need to expect some rustiness in matches.

Hibee Mac
29-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Those saying Boyd's is goal of the season, no chance is it better than the one touch Kamberi/Dylan goal.

Ozyhibby
29-04-2018, 08:20 AM
I thought Whittaker had a terrible first half and better second half. His goal was brilliant though and neither Bartley nor McGeogh would have scored it.
However, hopefully McGeogh gets used to his mask and can play next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil7908
29-04-2018, 08:20 AM

I thought his tackling was really good, made a few quality challenges to stop Killie getting forward. His passing was ropey though. Nearly gave me a heart attack a couple of times and seemed off the pace a bit wanting too much time on the ball.

He is just back from injury and played his part in 2 great victories so don't want to be too harsh on him but we could have been punished

Gatecrasher
29-04-2018, 08:27 AM
As much stick as boyd gets you have to hand it to him for continuing to score on a very regular basis. I can't believe the room he got at times considering his record against us.

Fergos
29-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Great move and a lovely finish but if Kamberi had scored that free kick :cb
Best free kick I’ve seen scored against us since Cooper scored against us at Mordor in the 2nd leg of the league cup in the mid 80s . Another thing they strikes have in common is that they both counted for nothing. Knocked the Huns out 2-1 on agg .

I had been going to ER for a few years by then but that was the night I really got the Hibernian feeling despite us losing but going through on Agg. The Hibs end was a great place that night. Remember the full array of Hibs songs being sung during the game and into the night as we left the ground, jubilant.

Great days.

Both great goals back on point!

GGTTH.

CB_NO3
29-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Whittaker is the type of player that does some stupid things and some really class things in a game. He has always been like that. One thing I will say about him is he never hides.

Oscar T Grouch
29-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Boyds freekick was great but from the angle I watched it the defensive wall was misplaced, or Boyler should have been in the wall. I was directly behind Boyd and the hole he fired it through was created by Boyler, he should have stood with the wall , not sure if Rocky should have positioned him better or if Boyle chose to position himself at the end of the wall like that. The gap was there when Boyd hit the kick and Boyler movement made it bigger. Now Boyd still had to hit a very accurate freekick, but our defence made it easier for him, imho of course, I only watched it from one angle then again on Alba. If Boyle had been part of the wall Boyds kick would have skelped the ball into Boyler and it would have remained 4-2
Whitty’s goal was sublime at the time and in the replay on Alba.

andybev1
29-04-2018, 09:04 AM

My partner and I thought he had a dire first half and thought we might not see him come out at half time only for him to give the ball away nit long after the second half started which left us wondering what Lennon could see what we were not seeing, queue the goal which sent me into hysterical laughter - seems Lennon was right.

Lennon also picked him out for praise as having a particularly good game. Go figure.

CMac1988
29-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Whittaker is the type of player that does some stupid things and some really class things in a game. He has always been like that. One thing I will say about him is he never hides.

Indeed. I also agree with the other post that his first half performance was poor. Multiple misplaced passes easily turned and caught wrong side which ended up with him getting his booking at one point. Much improved second half although his passing was still a little wayward here and there.
Like others I was calling for him to be bsubbed about 2 minutes before his goal, but honestly, what a goal it was. Well spotted and played from McGinn and a really calm, cool and collected finish. Lovely stuff.

makaveli1875
29-04-2018, 09:19 AM
It was a cracking finish , took it in his stride 1st time not an easy thing to do but he made it look effortless .

J-C
29-04-2018, 09:22 AM

I thought he was poor too, cracking goal aside his thinking on the ball was so slow, seemed to take an age to move the ball on after receiving it, almost caught in possession all too often.

B.H.F.C
29-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Glad I wasn’t alone in thinking he was poor for much of the game yesterday! Thought it was a strange game as I didn’t think we really played that well and didn’t have control the game. But then there were some real quality moments. Whittaker’s goal was absolutely brilliant, the pass and the finish.

Radium
29-04-2018, 09:32 AM
My recollection from the game was that Whitaker pointed to where he wanted the ball and McGinn dropped it on his toe.

Good as Boyd’s deadball strike was, I have always thought that good open play goals are on a different level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
29-04-2018, 09:49 AM
I seem to be in the same majority of posters. didn't think Whitts was playing well - gave the ball away every time he passed with his left... Bit surprised when Lennon and Barker praised his contribution post match. Scored easily the best goal of the game. Placed the volley well out goalie's reach. You do see a lot of dead ball strikes. You rarely witness that sort of goal.

Vault Boy
29-04-2018, 09:53 AM
An absolutely excellent goal. Superb technique from both McGinn and Whittaker.

Dashing Bob S
29-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Agree with OP. Boyd's strike was fabulous, but a example of great power and deflected off Boyle. The precision and technique in Whittaker's goal was a thing of subliminal beauty. I've been watching both on Hibs TV. And Boyd's, though a stunning effort, impresses me less each time I see it, while Whittaker's impresses me more.

Vini1875
29-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Folk I go with were just saying he should be subbed, then he gracefully knocks that into the net and it was a round of what do you know.

overdrive
29-04-2018, 10:22 AM
I didn’t think he was too bad but I would have preferred Slivka or Bartley in there. I think if he’s playing in midfield he should be in more of an attacking role. He’s very good at spotting a defence splitting pass and has done it a few times this season, most notably when he played in Shaw for his goal against Celtic in the semi final. But again, is he any better than other players we have that can play that position? No would be my answer.

Eyrie
29-04-2018, 11:45 AM
I didn’t think he was too bad but I would have preferred Slivka or Bartley in there. I think if he’s playing in midfield he should be in more of an attacking role. He’s very good at spotting a defence splitting pass and has done it a few times this season, most notably when he played in Shaw for his goal against Celtic in the semi final. But again, is he any better than other players we have that can play that position? No would be my answer.

Whittaker didn't have a good game overall yesterday, but is on balance probably a better option there than Bartley. Bartley is undoubtedly the better defender in reading the game and tackling, but against most sides his limited passing restricts us. Whittaker is competent enough as a defensive midfielder that he gets the nod because he usually fits our passing game better.

greenlex
29-04-2018, 08:27 PM
A thing of beauty. If you look at it again Whitty is telling SJM where to put it. Great finish.

mjhibby
29-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Just a lovely bit of football. Delightful pass and a sublime cushioned finish. Hibs class obviously.

One Day Soon
29-04-2018, 08:48 PM
The most significant difference between Whittaker and Boyd's goals is that Whittaker's shot went exactly where he intended it, whereas Boyd's was deflected into goal after he had struck it quite wide.

angus hibby
29-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Was a brilliant goal. Whittaker did some good things yesterday and some not so good. His pass to no one, went in direction of East Stand linesman was strange. I assume he caught glimpse of linesman and assumed it was a team mate?

Was surprised Bartley didn’t come on for him at 4-3 to see game out. Just for fresh legs and would say Bartley is a more recognised defensive midfielder.