PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

johncrobertson@
28-04-2018, 06:36 PM
I am a huge fan of Darren. I have to say that he was very poor today.

MWHIBBIES
28-04-2018, 06:39 PM
What? He was brilliant, motm contender.

WhileTheChief..
Bollox.

Sorry.

danhibees1875
I've seen him play better for sure, but Boyd is always going to be a tricky opposition to play against. He didn't do terribly either I wouldn't say.

SunshineOnLeith
28-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Did you really 'have to' say it? Hibs won, its still sunny outside, chill.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 06:48 PM
I thought he was the best of our back line today.

In saying that we scored 5 and conceded 3, no defender should be getting near MOTM.

BoomtownHibees
28-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Nonsense

SChibs
28-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Don't get me wrong I like macgregor and he has his strengths but sometimes he just needs to calm down and bring the ball down rather than aimlessly booting it or heading it back up. And he gives away a few needless fouls like the boyd free kick today.

Saying that he clearly has a place in our defence as a physical ball winning presence and that's what he excels at. I think he was alright today. Not amazing but not poor either

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 06:58 PM
I thought McGregor played well against a good striker.
I also think Porteous will get a lot more game time next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
28-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Sorry he was better than Ambrose who got ripped a new one time and again by Jordan Jones. Didn't thibk any of the defence were great today but Daz was deffo not the worst imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wookie70
28-04-2018, 07:24 PM
He was better than the other two centre halfs by a margin imo. Stevenson played very well yet again and would have been my pick of the defensive players.

Bob Box Fish
28-04-2018, 07:27 PM
I thought he looked off the pace today also.

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:07 PM
He's going to play a diminishing role for us next season imo. People need to get over this he,s a leither and a hibee so he's brilliant nonsense. Gets cut more slack than anyone else the phrase 'like a hot tattie' could easily be his making. Done a good job for us last few seasons but don't forget what his level has been almost the entirety of his career!

MWHIBBIES
28-04-2018, 08:14 PM
He's going to play a diminishing role for us next season imo. People need to get over this he,s a leither and a hibee so he's brilliant nonsense. Gets cut more slack than anyone else the phrase 'like a hot tattie' could easily be his making. Done a good job for us last few seasons but don't forget what his level has been almost the entirety of his career!

That is a lot of rubbish.

Yes, he doesn't pass the ball as well as Hanlon and Ambrose. He wins more headers and interceptions and does the proper dirty old school defending better than them. He has done far more than a good job, he was defending on his own at times last season, POTY by a ****ing mile and a Hibs legend.

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Offer nothing with the ball and has zero presence in the opposition box these are facts get over the fact he's one of us! Pals with loads on here so judgement of him is clouded

marinello59
28-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Offer nothing with the ball and has zero presence in the opposition box these are facts get over the fact he's one of us! Pals with loads on here so judgement of him is clouded

Nominations for the most ridiculous post of the year so far are now closed.

supermcginn
28-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Absolute *****, absolutely brilliant defender and first pick for me. Legend

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:21 PM
On what grounds? Who thinks if they were up for sale mcgregor would get a bigger fee or more interest than efe and hanlon?

lord bunberry
28-04-2018, 08:22 PM
He’s a class defender....

Hiber-nation
28-04-2018, 08:22 PM

As important in the Hibs revival as Leann Dempster and Neil Lennon.

I'm afraid you are a complete clown.

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 08:25 PM
I’ve never met him in my puff but I think he’s been brilliant for us.

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Like I said at the start leither hibee and therefore forum totally immune to a sensible constructive conversation lets just hope Lenny picks pique porteous over him sooner rather than later. Please forgive me for an honest post looking to the future

lord bunberry
28-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Are your eyes painted on? He’s a brilliant defender that walks into the team when fit. Lennon is the most successful manager in Scotland right now and his opinion of him matters more to me than yours. Did he **** your bird or something.

RoscoHibby
28-04-2018, 08:28 PM

I could agree slightly he should be doing more in opposition box for his size and aerial ability. But the rest is nonsense. Every team needs a big brutal no nonsense type, and luckily ours is a hibby as well.

🎶 He's a class defender🎶 😎🇳🇬

lord bunberry
28-04-2018, 08:29 PM
I could agree slightly he should be doing more in opposition box for his size and aerial ability. But the rest is nonsense. Every team needs a big brutal no nonsense type, and luckily ours is a hibby as well.

🎶 He's a class defender🎶 😎🇳🇬

Oh oh oh he never gives the ball away....

MWHIBBIES
28-04-2018, 08:30 PM

So his ability to defend his box isn't in question then? Zero presence in the opposition box :faf:

Got our Scottish cup run started
Goals in the playoffs vs Falkirk and Raith
2 goals to secure the Championship title

Hopeless

JimBHibees
28-04-2018, 08:30 PM

Think your name gives away who you support.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 08:32 PM
I actually agree that if Porteous is to be stepped up again next year and we keep Ambrose then it will be McGregor who makes way as and when changes are made.

He’s probably closer to the end of his career than the start given he’ll be 33 very early next season. In saying that, having only met the man twice, I think he’s been absolutely superb for Hibs. Not the classiest football player but he does the ugly defensive stuff brilliantly and gives us a huge physical presence; I daresay he’s the type who keeps other players honest during games and training as well.

A Hibs legend and one who I hope is in our squad for a while yet.

guthrie01

:crazy:

MWHIBBIES
Like I said at the start leither hibee and therefore forum totally immune to a sensible constructive conversation lets just hope Lenny picks pique porteous over him sooner rather than later. Please forgive me for an honest post looking to the future
Yogi is a leither and I think he is a tit.

Its nothing to do with where Darren is from, he is quality.

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:34 PM
So we're agreed then efe and hanlon are worth more than Darren? Cheers. Nicely swerved by everybody.

At at no stage in my posts have I ever stated Darren isn't a decent defender however as the team improves and looks to develop and compete consistently at the top of the league I'd look for people more comfy on the ball. Just a preference on my part. Thanks for being ridiculed

JimBHibees
28-04-2018, 08:35 PM

:hahaha::faf::faf:

johncrobertson@
28-04-2018, 08:38 PM

That is a bizarre deduction. I have been a Hibs supporter for 55 years, odds are that’s longer than you. I’ve been watching since the early 60’s. your comment is insulting! All I gave was an opinion! I am one of Darren’s biggest fans, but I thought today he was poor! I will also praise him when he plays well! Does this now mean that any Hibees loyalty are judged by their surname - get a grip! It’s all about opinions!

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 08:39 PM
So we're agreed then efe and hanlon are worth more than Darren? Cheers. Nicely swerved by everybody.

At at no stage in my posts have I ever stated Darren isn't a decent defender however as the team improves and looks to develop and compete consistently at the top of the league I'd look for people more comfy on the ball. Just a preference on my part. Thanks for being ridiculed

I think you might have got a better response and engagement had you made your point in the style of your last paragraph rather than the ‘cause he’s a Leither’ stuff that was bordering on confrontational.

I don’t think anyone is under any illusions about his abilities as a ball player compared to Hanlon and Efe but he has other qualities they don’t; it’s horses for courses and all that.

Hiber-nation
28-04-2018, 08:39 PM

You could have made your point in the correct manner but instead you slaughtered him and it was actually you who ridiculed folk on here.

earlshaugh
28-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Absolute garbage posts McGregor is solid.

kaimendhibs
28-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Horrible thread. We won today ffs

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

monktonharp
28-04-2018, 08:42 PM
I thought he looked off the pace today also.Exactly how I saw it my friend. I like him mucho, but for the first half hour I thought he was very shaky. he played a lot better in the closing stages of the game. imho:rolleyes:

calumhibee1
28-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Darren McGregor is possibly the 3rd choice out of Efe, Hanlon and himself. Despite this, he is also one of the best centre half’s in Scotland still and would walk into nearly any other team in Scotland.

Capt Mainwaring
28-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Utter pish fella. Strong and dominant as always 👍

Weststand
28-04-2018, 08:46 PM
I think you might have got a better response and engagement had you made your point in the style of your last paragraph rather than the ‘cause he’s a Leither’ stuff that was bordering on confrontational.

I don’t think anyone is under any illusions about his abilities as a ball player compared to Hanlon and Efe but he has other qualities they don’t; it’s horses for courses and all that.

Thanks for for your comments. Only joined forum recently and only want best for the team I adore.

JimBHibees
28-04-2018, 08:47 PM
That is a bizarre deduction. I have been a Hibs supporter for 55 years, odds are that’s longer than you. I’ve been watching since the early 60’s. your comment is insulting! All I gave was an opinion! I am one of Darren’s biggest fans, but I thought today he was poor! I will also praise him when he plays well! Does this now mean that any Hibees loyalty are judged by their surname - get a grip! It’s all about opinions!

So is your analysis of Darren.

johncrobertson@
28-04-2018, 08:49 PM
So is your analysis of Darren.

Oh dear that says it all! Warning - don’t express opinions on Hibs Net!

Iggy Pope
28-04-2018, 08:49 PM

I know a bunch of mental St Giles branch Robertson brothers, with a John amongst them, who might take a wee bit of umbrage at this sort of wild assumption....

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks for for your comments. Only joined forum recently and only want best for the team I adore.

As we all do :aok:

You’ll find most people on here are ok if everyone keeps things friendly. Disagreements are par for the course and differing opinions are welcome; it’s all in the wording.

Welcome aboard.

matty_f
28-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Oh dear that says it all! Warning - don’t express opinions on Hibs Net!

No, just don't express them if you don't like people (or sometime, in this instance) disagreeing.

Differing opinions are welcome. :aok:

Jonnyboy
28-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I know a bunch of mental St Giles branch Robertson brothers, with a John amongst them, who might take a wee bit of umbrage at this sort of wild assumption....

I also know a John Robertson who isn't fat and doesn't manage ICT - he's a dyed in the wool, 100% Hibby

As an aside, I thought the wee fat Jambo JR was very gracious in his post match interview today

Lancs Harp
28-04-2018, 08:57 PM
No, just don't express them if you don't like people (or sometime, in this instance) disagreeing.

Differing opinions are welcome. :aok:

Rubbish :greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 08:58 PM
In follow up to my post above can we please keep it friendly guys.

We conceded 3 goals today and Killie had another couple of real chances from close range so I’m not totally surprised there is a bit chat about our defensive players. There’s always going to be differing opinions and calling people Hearts fans (the Poster definitely isn’t) and clowns isn’t really helpful.

Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion so let’s respect that other people’s may differ from our own. We’re all grown ups and able to make our point sensibly.

Thanks.

matty_f
28-04-2018, 08:58 PM

:hilarious

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 09:00 PM

:faf:

supermcginn
28-04-2018, 09:00 PM
In follow up to my post above can we please keep it friendly guys.

We conceded 3 goals today and Killie had another couple of real chances from close range so I’m not totally surprised there is a bit chat about our defensive players. There’s always going to be differing opinions and calling people Hearts fans (the Poster definitely isn’t) and clowns isn’t really helpful.

Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion so let’s respect that other people’s may differ from our own. We’re all grown ups and able to make our point sensibly.

Thanks.
I think it shows how good we are at the moment that folk are even thinking about questioning him. He's been absolutely brilliant for us i wouldnt swap him for anyone in scotland.

Weststand
28-04-2018, 09:01 PM
You could have made your point in the correct manner but instead you slaughtered him and it was actually you who ridiculed folk on here.

Just like to apologise for failing to make my point in an appropriate manner and for ridiculing everyone! forgot how touchy everyone is in 2018

chrisski33
28-04-2018, 09:05 PM

You've been ridiculed because you made your opinion in a way to wind folk up. In my opinion your so wrong about McGregor. Far better defender than you'd ever be anyway

Allant1981
28-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Just like to apologise for failing to make my point in an appropriate manner and for ridiculing everyone! forgot how touchy everyone is in 2018

yet still coming over as an idiot

Weststand
28-04-2018, 09:15 PM
How am I winding people up? Why am I an idiot? I have an opinion that Darren isn't as good as everyone thinks and I think people have a clouded judgement of him because he's one of us and from leith. I'd like to see porteous replace him sooner rather than later. I respect that people don't agree with me and I'm defo in the mInority but don't make me out to be an imbocile. I've simply expressed an opinion as a fan.

bingo70
28-04-2018, 09:17 PM
How am I winding people up? Why am I an idiot? I have an opinion that Darren isn't as good as everyone thinks and I think people have a clouded judgement of him because he's one of us and from leith. I'd like to see porteous replace him sooner rather than later. I respect that people don't agree with me and I'm defo in the mInority but don't make me out to be an imbocile. I've simply expressed an opinion as a fan.

“Forgot how touchy everyone is in 2018”

Albanian Hibs
28-04-2018, 09:18 PM

😂😂😂

Beat it.

Libby Hibby
28-04-2018, 09:22 PM

And there it is...the I’ve been a Hibby for X amount years when being accused of not being one. As if it makes a bit of difference.

Tone of posts generally give the game away. Drop a bombshell that the majority of Hibs fans do not agree with, get all defensive when folk disagree with post, quote the duration for bring a Hibby, then disappear into obscurity.

Classic behaviour of a non Hibby.

One Day Soon
28-04-2018, 09:25 PM

FFS. That's more wrong than a large bucket of wrongness.

West End more like.

chrisski33
28-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Jog on

One Day Soon
28-04-2018, 09:26 PM
“Forgot how touchy everyone is in 2018”

Some people were helluva touchy in 1986.

Speedway
28-04-2018, 09:29 PM

If we take today in isolation, McGregor has had a header cleared off the line and one just past the post from set pieces. More than was contributed from Ambrose and Hanlon in an attacking sense.

Also made crucial interceptions time and again today despite having to mark a hippo.

Never met him, don’t know where he’s from but McGregor is central to our mentality as a team and despite his knees being knackered, is still serving us admirably on the pitch.

Porteous is his natural successor.

ancient hibee
28-04-2018, 09:29 PM
We had an interesting defensive concept today,nobody wanted to mark the league leading scorer.He’s not fast and every defender should know where to find him.Yet he was constantly on his own in between defenders and really missed two sitters.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Im not his pal, ive never met him but i can still see your talking utter tripe

Blaster
28-04-2018, 09:33 PM
We had an interesting defensive concept today,nobody wanted to mark the league leading scorer.He’s not fast and every defender should know where to find him.Yet he was constantly on his own in between defenders and really missed two sitters.

And yet we won. We had to win today and that meant sacrificing a defensive blunder or two. It worked for us

ElginHibbie
28-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Darren McGregor is possibly the 3rd choice out of Efe, Hanlon and himself. Despite this, he is also one of the best centre half’s in Scotland still and would walk into nearly any other team in Scotland.

:agree: Darren, Efe and Paul have all been very good this season and Ryan has impressed when called upon.

Assuming all 4 are here next season Darren would start as 3rd choice for me and I am sure Ryan will play a larger role, maybe at some point he will move ahead of Darren in the pecking order, but who knows what will happen with injuries, suspensions or even just their form?

We will need all of them contributing if we are to continue to improve and have another good season.

johncrobertson@
28-04-2018, 09:35 PM
And there it is...the I’ve been a Hibby for X amount years when being accused of not being one. As if it makes a bit of difference.

Tone of posts generally give the game away. Drop a bombshell that the majority of Hibs fans do not agree with, get all defensive when folk disagree with post, quote the duration for bring a Hibby, then disappear into obscurity.

So you think someone’s name tells you who they support? I certainly won’t be disappearing into obscurity.

Elephant Stone
28-04-2018, 09:36 PM

This is the first time I've seen the words "zero presence" said about Darren McGregor and I reckon it will be the last time as well. Bizarre.

Iggy Pope
28-04-2018, 09:37 PM

Seems to have an Admin offering him crentials though your Honour. You'd need to be the sparriest of sparryheided sparryheids to get by on a username like that and still attempt a troll. Would be like someone from Liberton claiming Gilmerton.

bawheid
28-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Anyone mind that time Paul Hanlon equalised in injury time and Hibs went on to win the Scottish Cup?

Squirrel 1875
28-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Disagree with this. McGregor was more solid than Ambrose today who struggled to deal with Jones, who is a really quality player.

Speedway
28-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Anyone mind that time Paul Hanlon equalised in injury time and Hibs went on to win the Scottish Cup?

Who was that against?

One Day Soon
28-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Seems to have an Admin offering him crentials though your Honour. You'd need to be the sparriest of sparryheided sparryheids to get by on a username like that and still attempt a troll. Would be like someone from Liberton claiming Gilmerton.

:shocked:

bawheid
28-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Who was that against?

Cannae mind, although I think their fans don’t like big Daz much....

Legend, and I don’t even know him :boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 09:49 PM

He’s not a Hearts fans.

Hibs90
28-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Thought he started the game poor but got better as the game went on.

If there is any concern at the minute we do seem to be leaking goals, but if we keep banging them in then that won't matter :greengrin

Onceinawhile
28-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Totally agree that Darren is third choice out of him, efe and Hanlon. I Also reckon next season that porteous will play more than him. Mcgregor's distribution is at times shocking and he definitely gets cut slack because he's a hibee and a cup winner. (I've no problem with that). Doesn't mean hes not a good defender though.

Eyrie
28-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Three McGregors wouldn't work as a partnership any more than three Hanlons or three Ambroses. He offers a physicality that the other two don't, which makes him a valuable part of our trio.

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 10:28 PM
He’s been one of our best players since the day he signed for us.

Some utter crap being spouted on here for no reason whatsoever. Win 5-3 in one of the best games of the season and then round on him? Why? Why today?

How any Hibs fan can say some of these things really does beggar belief. Imagine if the Daily Record or Chick Young came out with that? You’d all be up in ****** arms.

All about opinions aye? Well some of those on here are complete and utter BS.

That’s a fact, not an opinion.

Squirrel 1875
28-04-2018, 10:43 PM

Some utter crap being spouted on here for no reason whatsoever. Win 5-3 in one of the best games of the season and then round on him? Why? Why today?

How any Hibs fan can say some of these things really does beggar belief. Imagine if the Daily Record or Chick Young came out with that? You’d all be up in ****** arms.

Agree with all of this. How anyone can bad mouth McGregor is beyond me. He has been outstanding for us.

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Do not understand the point of this thread. Did Neil Lennon not just recently say he wishes he had 12 Darren MacGregors and that Daz would make it into his all time great five a side team.Darren MacGregor is Mr HIBS he would run through a brick wall for the club. OK he has been out for a few weeks so might have been a tad rusty at the start of today’s game we are all like that after a week off work but to me his commitment enthusiasm professionalism and desire to succeed for the club is unquestionable.He gives nothing less than 100% in every game. He was late into the professional game has had the misfortune to suffer a few bad injuries and yes he is getting on. Ryan Porteous is the likely successor but more chance they will both be playing together in the first team next season.

GGTTH

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 10:54 PM
:top marks

Thank You.

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Do not understand the point of this thread. Did Neil Lennon not just recently say he wishes he had 12 Darren MacGregors and that Daz would make it into his all time great five a side team.Darren MacGregor is Mr HIBS he would run through a brick wall for the club. OK he has been out for a few weeks so might have been a tad rusty at the start of today’s game we are all like that after a week off work but to me his commitment enthusiasm professionalism and desire to succeed for the club is unquestionable.He gives nothing less than 100% in every game. He was late into the professional game has had the misfortune to suffer a few bad injuries and yes he is getting on. Ryan Porteous is the likely successor but more chance they will both be playing together in the first team next season.

GGTTH
Forgot to add LEGEND !!
Scottish Cup Winner
Hibee through and through !!
First name on the team sheet against Hearts

Diclonius
28-04-2018, 11:11 PM
You can tell we're playing well when a topic is dedicated to a defender being slightly less than perfect.

monktonharp
28-04-2018, 11:33 PM
we are, (playing well) although some on here are getting very touchy when comments are made about a slightly underpar performance by a player. Don't think the OP, or others who agree about Darren's performance were seriously complaining other than pointing out their opinion. I agreed to a certain degree that he was not his normal self, for at least 30 mins of the start. he became more stronger nearer the end. End Off.

bigstu
29-04-2018, 12:22 AM
I'd love to be mates with him but sadly i've never met the guy. If i ever did then i'd shake his hand. Cracking player & great game today. Far better than Berra, Darren just can't pass the ball. Quality player though

JohnM1875
29-04-2018, 12:30 AM

You're at it?

Zero presence in the opposition box? The same guy who had two headers go close from corners today?

Hermit Crab
29-04-2018, 12:34 AM

He nearly scored today, he also very nearly scored a stoppage time header up in Dingwall. No presence in the opposition box though!

Hermit Crab
29-04-2018, 12:38 AM
I also know a John Robertson who isn't fat and doesn't manage ICT - he's a dyed in the wool, 100% Hibby

As an aside, I thought the wee fat Jambo JR was very gracious in his post match interview today

:agree:. I heard that too. Nice touch from him.

FilipinoHibs
29-04-2018, 12:40 AM
I'd love to be mates with him but sadly i've never met the guy. If i ever did then i'd shake his hand. Cracking player & great game today. Far better than Berra, Darren just can't pass the ball. Quality player though

He used to work in Exile. a lovely young man who was very helpful to overweight middle aged man. Great defender and heart.

Stuart93
29-04-2018, 01:16 AM
Was well off pace today, as was the rest of the defence

overdrive
29-04-2018, 01:33 AM
I thought he really struggled today and was totally bullied by Boyd. I’d say he was our weak link today. He’s also started having this tendency of making needless fouls either at the most pointless moments or the most dangerous moments. I can see Porteous taking his place next season.

poolman
29-04-2018, 01:35 AM

What the F*%*

😵

MagicSwirlingShip
29-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Didn’t make the game today due to illness, so can’t comment on his performance today.

What I will say is that Darren is amongst the top 5 Central defenders I’ve seen at Easter Road, having been a season ticket holder since 95-96 on and off.

Instead of picking holes in his game we should appreciate all his qualities he has brought to Easter Rd since his arrival, A true Hibs legend who has rarely let us down.

Austinho
29-04-2018, 01:42 AM
Most handsome bloke in the club?

pacorosssco
29-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Didnt think had bad game but not poor. Can't play 10/10 every week

ToffeeCabbage
29-04-2018, 02:07 AM
Behave yourself. Mans a rock and we're lucky to have him. "He never gives the ball away"

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-04-2018, 06:12 AM
Three McGregors wouldn't work as a partnership any more than three Hanlons or three Ambroses. He offers a physicality that the other two don't, which makes him a valuable part of our trio.

Totally agree. Hes the heart, Hanlon is the head, and Ambrose is the adrenal gland!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-04-2018, 06:15 AM
He nearly scored today, he also very nearly scored a stoppage time header up in Dingwall. No presence in the opposition box though!

He also scored from corners in both play offs last season against Raith and Falkirk, and i think it was his header that the hears goalie saved in the last-minute of the cup game, that hanlon got the reboubd from.

Borderhibbie76
29-04-2018, 07:12 AM
Offer nothing with the ball and has zero presence in the opposition box these are facts get over the fact he's one of us! Pals with loads on here so judgement of him is cloudedYour talking nonsense mate...was much better than Ambrose yesterday who was a liability at times against Jones

Borderhibbie76
29-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Thanks for for your comments. Only joined forum recently and only want best for the team I adore.If you adore the team why are u slagging off one of our cup.winning legends?? Oooh look at me guys

CL0762
29-04-2018, 10:03 AM
I don’t get this ‘remember his level for most of his career’ chat.

It’s testament to Darren that he has spent a lot of his career at lower league level, suffered 2 horrific cruciate injuries yet STILL finds himself a first choice pick for a club like Hibs.

I have never met Darren, but can safely say he is one of my favourite Hibs players of all time. Will he diminish as years go on and age catches up with him? Most definitely. Will Porteous gradually take Darren’s place in the starting XI? Most likely.

Does either of that mean he will not continue to be a fantastic servant for the club? Absolutely not. I’d give him a contact for life, it’s no coincidence that since the likes of McGregor signed for Hibs, that club has found itself on an incredible upwards trajectory that shows no signs of slowing down.

lapsedhibee
29-04-2018, 10:20 AM
The iriny.

emerald green
29-04-2018, 10:24 AM

I smell s**** / Yam. :rolleyes:

matty_f
29-04-2018, 10:25 AM

It’s testament to Darren that he has spent a lot of his career at lower league level, suffered 2 horrific cruciate injuries yet STILL finds himself a first choice pick for a club like Hibs.

I have never met Darren, but can safely say he is one of my favourite Hibs players of all time. Will he diminish as years go on and age catches up with him? Most definitely. Will Porteous gradually take Darren’s place in the starting XI? Most likely.

Does either of that mean he will not continue to be a fantastic servant for the club? Absolutely not. I’d give him a contact for life, it’s no coincidence that since the likes of McGregor signed for Hibs, that club has found itself on an incredible upwards trajectory that shows no signs of slowing down.

Good shout.

I always feel more confident about the result when I see McGregor's name on the team sheet.

Aside from the fact that he is an excellent defender, which he definitely is, he's also a leader in the pitch. If someone takes a liberty with one of his teammates, Daz is straight in there to back his teammate up.

Every player will have an off-game now and then, thankfully with McGregor those days are very few and far between.

Jonnyboy
29-04-2018, 11:53 AM
The iriny.

:faf: 👍

yonder1875
29-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Oh dear

Jackh
29-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Was appalling

pacoluna
29-04-2018, 12:17 PM

What a load of ****!

Swedish hibee
29-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Yogi is a leither and I think he is a tit.

Its nothing to do with where Darren is from, he is quality.

No need. What a horrible thread.

The Harp
29-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Didn't take to Darren when he first arrived, I'm ashamed to say, because of his Hun employment. His performances though have been outstanding. He's now one of my all-time favourites. Hope he's got a good few playing years to come at ER.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2018, 02:01 PM
He did have a tough shift against Boyd yesterday, but who doesn't? .... the fat git just has to stand there and its nigh on impossible to shift him. As it was Daz didn't lose out to him in the physical side, but ALL of our central defenders were culpable for the fact that he found himself unmarked about 3 times, which seems impossible when you look at his size and lack of mobility.

I tend to agree that there is every chance Daz might find himself in a fight for a starting place with Porteous at some point next season, but that's more testament to how far Porteous has come than any problem with McGregor. From what I've seen of young Ryan he has all the attributes Daz has, strong, athletic a threat in the opposition box and a leader on the pitch with the heart of a lion. ... what Daz has over him is experience.

AFAIK the other attribute Porteous shares with Mr McGregor is that he is also a dyed in the wool Hibby ..... for all that that's been dismissed by a certain poster as valuable only in the context of getting a pass for a poor display because he's 'one of our own' I would strongly disagree. You only have to listen to Daz speak to hear how much it means to him to pull on a green jersey and that means his commitment to the cause can never be questioned and he proves that week in week out, unlike some players we have seen at ER ..... Porteous is clearly cut from the same cloth.

Whatever the future for Darren McGregor the one thing that you can never take away from him is that he lived the dream and will be remembered by this club and the folk who support it for so long as there is a club to remember him :not worth

RossScott1991
29-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Great defender. I thought efe and Whittaker were more poor than Darren yesterday.

I think next season will be year we start to see Darren in and out of the team more to make way for young porteous imo. Age and injuries will ensure this.

Hermit Crab
29-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Was appalling

As bad as Hearts on Friday night??

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Great defender. I thought efe and Whittaker were more poor than Darren yesterday.

I think next season will be year we start to see Darren in and out of the team more to make way for young porteous imo. Age and injuries will ensure this.

As much as i rate poteous, i think people always overate young players attributes, and experience, particuarly at centre half, is massive. Look how long it has taken Hanlon to win over a fair chunk of our support.

Personally, i think porteous would benefit from playing with McGregor, and i dont see him being dropped unless his performances fall off - his physicality and aggression are needed in Scotland.

I think Porteous will continue as the fourth choice of three, with a view to him replacing ambrose the season after next?

BSEJVT
29-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Utter crap

Possibly our best defender and most consistent since he signed

He is not Beckenbaur with the ball at his feet but he's not terrible either

Saved a certain goal yesterday at 0-0 with a beautifully timed and executed sliding interception which laid the ball of beautifully to a Hibs player

I confidently predict that if many more of your posts are as pish as this one, then you stint as undercover yam troll will be a short one.

BSEJVT
29-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Was appalling

Welcome

I guess if my team was a **** to watch as yours I would be doing some trolling on 19 points back rather than talking about them as well.

Enjoy you short stay

mjhibby
29-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Having met him I can see he is a great guy and we chatted about our pets would you believe. A genuine bloke who loves playing for Hibs. Can't play well all the time and always seems to perform in the big games. A rock indeed.

mjhibby
29-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Also given his time missed through injury he appreciates how lucky he is and gives his all.

cabbageandribs1875
29-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Darren is a class defender and he never gives the ball away

Albanian Hibs
29-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Was appalling

😂😂😂 #mindthegap

mjhibby
30-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Utter crap

Possibly our best defender and most consistent since he signed

He is not Beckenbaur with the ball at his feet but he's not terrible either

Saved a certain goal yesterday at 0-0 with a beautifully timed and executed sliding interception which laid the ball of beautifully to a Hibs player

I confidently predict that if many more of your posts are as pish as this one, then you stint as undercover yam troll will be a short one.

He bullies most strikers with his commitment. Always if he does make a mistake he quickly tries to rectify it which many defenders don't seem to do now

BigT-Hibeez
30-04-2018, 12:26 AM
If the game had ended up 4-4 which it realistically could have, then there should have been a thread about how poor we were in defence today, and how we missed a big chance to secure 4th place etc, but we didn't draw, we won 5-3.. And yes, there was some terrible defending (Boyd had 3 clear headers in the box against a back 3), but as a team we kept going, and won the game!!

The new Hibs!!

Bring on the Sheep

CockneyRebel
30-04-2018, 08:15 AM

It's not a fact - it is an opinion. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with comments on here, an opionion is still just an opinion. I agree with some of the OPs comments and disagree with others but that's just my opinion. Football is all about opinions and they have to be given air time or there is no point in forums like this.

CockneyRebel
30-04-2018, 08:19 AM
He did have a tough shift against Boyd yesterday, but who doesn't? .... the fat git just has to stand there and its nigh on impossible to shift him. As it was Daz didn't lose out to him in the physical side, but ALL of our central defenders were culpable for the fact that he found himself unmarked about 3 times, which seems impossible when you look at his size and lack of mobility.

I tend to agree that there is every chance Daz might find himself in a fight for a starting place with Porteous at some point next season, but that's more testament to how far Porteous has come than any problem with McGregor. From what I've seen of young Ryan he has all the attributes Daz has, strong, athletic a threat in the opposition box and a leader on the pitch with the heart of a lion. ... what Daz has over him is experience.

AFAIK the other attribute Porteous shares with Mr McGregor is that he is also a dyed in the wool Hibby ..... for all that that's been dismissed by a certain poster as valuable only in the context of getting a pass for a poor display because he's 'one of our own' I would strongly disagree. You only have to listen to Daz speak to hear how much it means to him to pull on a green jersey and that means his commitment to the cause can never be questioned and he proves that week in week out, unlike some players we have seen at ER ..... Porteous is clearly cut from the same cloth.

Whatever the future for Darren McGregor the one thing that you can never take away from him is that he lived the dream and will be remembered by this club and the folk who support it for so long as there is a club to remember him :not worth

Mr Nookie
Pretty good post (IMO).

GreenOnions
30-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Darren is a fantastic player for us. The key for me is that his strengths complement those of our other defenders really well and they are as good a collective unit as we've had for 15 years or more. His strength, aggression and tackling are very important to us IMHO

Borderhibbie76
30-04-2018, 09:49 AM
As much as i rate poteous, i think people always overate young players attributes, and experience, particuarly at centre half, is massive. Look how long it has taken Hanlon to win over a fair chunk of our support.

Personally, i think porteous would benefit from playing with McGregor, and i dont see him being dropped unless his performances fall off - his physicality and aggression are needed in Scotland.

I think Porteous will continue as the fourth choice of three, with a view to him replacing ambrose the season after next?You make a good point here...Jordan Forster imo was massively overrated by a fair chunk of our support

flash
30-04-2018, 10:00 AM
they were all made to look a bit silly by possibly the best striker in Scotland on Saturday. It happens. Generally speaking all three of our central defenders rarely let us down

Thecat23
30-04-2018, 10:22 AM

You are clueless if that’s how you view him. Oh and that is a fact!!!!

WhileTheChief..
30-04-2018, 12:01 PM
It's not a fact - it is an opinion. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with comments on here, an opionion is still just an opinion. I agree with some of the OPs comments and disagree with others but that's just my opinion. Football is all about opinions and they have to be given air time or there is no point in forums like this.

Nah. Some of to the posts on here are BS.

That’s a fact and no matter how many times you say the word opinion in your post is gonna change that!

CockneyRebel
30-04-2018, 12:04 PM
You are clueless if that’s how you view him. Oh and that is a fact!!!!

Nope - still an opinion.

CockneyRebel
30-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Nah. Some of to the posts on here are BS.

That’s a fact and no matter how many times you say the word opinion in your post is gonna change that!

Nope - still an opinion.

Thecat23
30-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Nope - still an opinion.

Can you give us a good example why you think this considering he’s been a rock this season. He’s had as many mistakes as Hanlon and less than Ambrose.

WhileTheChief..
30-04-2018, 12:15 PM
It’s a times like these I wish we had one of those face palm smileys like on kickback!

BILLYHIBS
30-04-2018, 04:49 PM
So we are agreed Daza gets to stay and fight for his place considering he will be Lennys first name on the team sheet against Aberdeen Hearts and Rangers. Let’s face it folks it is only his opinion that really counts.

Lets do this!

Cmon the HIBEES!

Time for heroes part 2

GGTTH

DTS
30-04-2018, 05:02 PM
It’s a strange situation for me Darren McGregor is the “least gifted” of the 3 maybe even 4 including porteous. That being said when we play 3 at the back he offers the perfect solution in the middle of the 3, big strong and commanding with two more ball playing quick players at either side but if one was to drop out of the 3 for porteous for me it would be him. Now this is where it gets interesting if we were to go to a flat back 4 then for me he starts at CH beside hanlon 100% as I don’t think you can get away with two ball playing centre backs without playing 3-5-2 hence why efe has played RB when we have had a flat back 4.

Overall he is still an extremely good and solid defender at this level although as everyone he does have limitations. I do agree that not only with his age and injury frequency throughout his career but for the good of porteous he will play less games next year

BILLYHIBS
30-04-2018, 06:55 PM
It’s a strange situation for me Darren McGregor is the “least gifted” of the 3 maybe even 4 including porteous. That being said when we play 3 at the back he offers the perfect solution in the middle of the 3, big strong and commanding with two more ball playing quick players at either side but if one was to drop out of the 3 for porteous for me it would be him. Now this is where it gets interesting if we were to go to a flat back 4 then for me he starts at CH beside hanlon 100% as I don’t think you can get away with two ball playing centre backs without playing 3-5-2 hence why efe has played RB when we have had a flat back 4.

Overall he is still an extremely good and solid defender at this level although as everyone he does have limitations. I do agree that not only with his age and injury frequency throughout his career but for the good of porteous he will play less games next year
Darren MacGregor is 100% totally committed would run through a brick wall for you will never let you down totally dependable which is why he will always be first pick over the other two Hanlon and Ambrose who may be more technically gifted also have their little quirks.I certainly know who,I would rather be in the trenches with when the whistle blows and anyone who has ever played football at any sort of level will tell you the same.

DTS
30-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Darren MacGregor is 100% totally committed would run through a brick wall for you will never let you down totally dependable which is why he will always be first pick over the other two Hanlon and Ambrose who may be more technically gifted also have their little quirks.I certainly know who,I would rather be in the trenches with when the whistle blows and anyone who has ever played football at any sort of level will tell you the same.

I think you’ve missed my point, that’s exactly what I said he was and that there is 100% a place for that. All I said is that I would imagine his game time will start to reduce next season

BILLYHIBS
30-04-2018, 07:12 PM
I think you’ve missed my point, that’s exactly what I said he was and that there is 100% a place for that. All I said is that I would imagine his game time will start to reduce next season
Will be a natural regression but let’s hope that Porteous can learn and improve from Daz by playing together in the little time that he has left.

GGTTH

steviehibsleith
30-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Surprised everyone is just talking about the players that are already at ER

We are having in a tremendous season European Place in our grasp, attendances are almost capacity Great manager who I’m certain is ambitious so to get to the point - A new Improved CH could come in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diclonius
30-04-2018, 08:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/sfiothu.jpg

End of.

Tobias Funke
30-04-2018, 08:36 PM

End of.

:thumbsup:

Aldo
30-04-2018, 08:42 PM

End of.

Totally.

Darren is part of a team. He may not be as gifted or talented as some however others in the team are not as gifted or talented as him.

Each player has his own attributes.
The OP is at it!

Smartie
30-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Surprised everyone is just talking about the players that are already at ER

We are having in a tremendous season European Place in our grasp, attendances are almost capacity Great manager who I’m certain is ambitious so to get to the point - A new Improved CH could come in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be astonished if this was an area of the team Lennon would be looking at strengthening given the other players we might lose over the summer.

I do love a defender who can actually defend and I don't remember us having many (any?) much better at that than Darren McGregor.

Squirrel 1875
30-04-2018, 08:59 PM

End of.

Close thread :not worth