PDA

View Full Version : George Craig, Ryan Porteous and HSL

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Before the game today Tony Higgins and George Craig spoke about the importance of HSL and the difference it has made.

Craig talked brilliantly about his time with us.

First thing he did when he arrived was tell everyone that we had to “become Hibs”. We had been relegated which should never ever have happened.

Once promoted his next thing was to tell everyone that we had to raise our game and take the next step forward.

He talked about the resources available at HTC and how every pound spent has to be justified to Leanne.

He used Porteous as an example and talked about the recent game at Ibrox.

McGregor was out and Porteous was used in his place. Craig focussed on 3 points....

Did he have the skill and talent required to play? Yes, because we have the manager and coaches to train him.

Was he strong enough to handle going up against players like Morelos? Yes, because we have fitness coaches and training regimes to ensure he could cope.

Was he mentally strong enough, at 18, to handle playing in front of 50,000 people? Fingers crossed was George’s reply.

He then went on to explain that he felt he had let Ryan down. We didn’t have the sports psychologist required to develop him.

So, Craig goes to Leanne to say this is what we need, I don’t ever want us to put a young player in that position again.

Leanne’s response? How much will that cost us?

George Craig - don’t worry about that, the HSL money will cover it!!

He explained that there is so much work going on in the background that just couldn’t be done without our support. This covered everything from the back room staff to various bits of software that can be used for analysis etc.

It was brilliant hearing this kind of insight from him and although I’m not a fan of fan ownership I think I might just sign up to a monthly pledge.

I’m convinced that he is every bit as important to our club as Leanne or Neil. Great stuff.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Almost word for word the conversation I had with him a couple of months back when discussing a donation with him. He's driving everything forward behind the scenes and if we give him more money to work with he'll produce even better results.

The fans have been fantastic the last few years but if you can afford an extra £5 or more a month then it can make a huge difference.

LustForLeith
28-04-2018, 06:42 PM
So where does season ticket, match day ticket, match revenue money, merchandise money go towards?

Genuine question.

CropleyWasGod
28-04-2018, 06:46 PM
This is not a moan, more of a clarification.

For long enough, it's been assumed that the HSL money goes to the playing budget. Nobody, from the club or HSL, has actually corrected that assumption.

However, the actual term used when HSL was launched was , IIRC, "to fund sporting achievement". That phrase always bothered me a bit, as it could be interpreted in many ways.

GC's comment seems to confirm that the money isn't just being used for players.

Don't get me wrong. I love the HSL concept. I am also happy that we are improving our players by the use of sports science and psychology, and that HSL money is being used for that.

I trust LD and GC in their judgement.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
28-04-2018, 06:47 PM
So where does season ticket, match day ticket, match revenue money, merchandise money go towards?

Genuine question.

Merchandise and kiosk catering are both oustsourced.

I think all sources of income go towards the same things, it's just the more of it there is the better the things we can buy with it.

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 06:47 PM

Genuine question.

Players wages mostly but also everything else associated with running the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 06:52 PM

For long enough, it's been assumed that the HSL money goes to the playing budget. Nobody, from the club or HSL, has actually corrected that assumption.

However, the actual term used when HSL was launched was , IIRC, "to fund sporting achievement". That phrase always bothered me a bit, as it could be interpreted in many ways.

Don't get me wrong. I love the HSL concept. I am also happy that we are improving our players by the use of sports science and psychology, and that HSL money is being used for that.

It’s a bit like chairman saying all the season ticket money goes straight to the manager. It’s sales chat but it doesn’t really matter so long as the money is being spent well.
With Leeann and George there I’m confident it is but before they arrived we were underperforming our budget massively.

Billy Whizz
28-04-2018, 06:53 PM

When you mean players, presume you mean wages or budget/transfer fees etc?
Who manages where and how it’s spent at Hibs? Not a criticism, just a question

pontius pilate
28-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Great to hear I hope to start my contribution back up shortly. The inclusion of the sports psychologist in my view could be another reason why we get the wins that’s required to go for 2nd. The mentality the players have just now is never say die and only 3 points will do. 🇳🇬
GGTTH

CropleyWasGod
28-04-2018, 07:01 PM
When you mean players, presume you mean wages or budget/transfer fees etc?
Who manages where and how it’s spent at Hibs? Not a criticism, just a questionI mean all of that, which is how it has been understood by most donors.

Jamie Marwick and Leeann will set the budget for the season, and probably for the following 3 years and more. The Board will challenge/discuss/amend it, and ultimately approve it.

All.departments, including NL, will have their input into the process.

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 07:20 PM
I mean all of that, which is how it has been understood by most donors.

Jamie Marwick and Leeann will set the budget for the season, and probably for the following 3 years and more. The Board will challenge/discuss/amend it, and ultimately approve it.

All.departments, including NL, will have their input into the process.

Neil Lennon said a few weeks back that there was a board meeting to discuss next seasons budget. As he seems as happy as he normally is I’m assuming it went as well for him as he expected.

emerald green
28-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Great to hear I hope to start my contribution back up shortly. The inclusion of the sports psychologist in my view could be another reason why we get the wins that’s required to go for 2nd. The mentality the players have just now is never say die and only 3 points will do. 🇳🇬
GGTTH

Money spent on a good sports psychologist will be money well spent.

lord bunberry
28-04-2018, 07:47 PM
He a good guy George. I met him once at a development game. Once you get him started he doesn’t stop talking. His enthusiasm is quite infectious.