PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Barker

gazzag70
28-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Over the course of the season I have went from being apathetic to him to absolutely adoring him. The ball seems glued to his feet at times, he is a real joy to watch. His end product has let him down at times but he is getting better and better. Would love to keep him but I imagine wages would be a real problem.

HappyAsHellas
28-04-2018, 04:47 PM
His main flaw is that he couldn't tackle a fish supper as the saying goes, but yeah going forward he's bloody good.

calumhibee1
28-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Loved watching him all season. His end product could be better but if it was he wouldn’t be here. Beats people for fun and the way he dropped Boyata last week was almost Messi V Boateng-esque.

GreenCastle
28-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Dribblers make mistakes but we don’t have enough of them in the game - even Boyle uses his speed a lot.

All pass pass pass type players but you need something different at times and while you may not always get the end product - if you did he would be a starter at Man City etc.

But he is easily one of our best players and even Lennon has said so seeing him in training daily.

Would love for him to come back for at least 1 more season.

Deansy
28-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Delighted for Brandon today - he threatens to do that every game and today can only give him confidence to keep up his great work !!

Mango Man
28-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Great decision to bring him on, Killie were chasing the game and that opened the game up for Barker to exploit the space.

Hibee Mac
28-04-2018, 04:52 PM
This will probably be an unpopular opinion considering he scored at the end, but I thought he was really letting us down defensively when he came on.

The guy is magnificent on the ball but sometimes you need someone to get stuck in, track your man and defend as a unit. Made me really nervy a couple of times towards the end!

Maybe my gripe should be with Lennon for bringing him on when he did instead of another type of player.

Bob Box Fish
28-04-2018, 04:55 PM
What’s chances of us keeping him as he’ll not get near the Man City team? Probably go to the championship for a decent wage ?

Brightside
28-04-2018, 04:56 PM
This will probably be an unpopular opinion considering he scored at the end, but I thought he was really letting us down defensively when he came on.

The guy is magnificent on the ball but sometimes you need someone to get stuck in, track your man and defend as a unit. Made me really nervy a couple of times towards the end!

Maybe my gripe should be with Lennon for bringing him on when he did instead of another type of player.

He didnt look fit tbh. Hard to come into a team thats flying when you've been out a while.

esjorto
28-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Think Neil Lennon could easily turn Barker into a real star.

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-04-2018, 05:11 PM
His pace is absolutely ridiculous

SouthMoroccoStu
28-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Think Neil Lennon could easily turn Barker into a real star.

Absolutely

Hope he stays

He’s been unlucky with injuries but he’s the kinda guy that gets the fans on their feet

IGRIGI
28-04-2018, 05:14 PM
I'd be hoping to get him again on loan for another season, I think it would be an attractive move for him as he should know it would be the perfect shop window for the teams in the Championship.

Ozyhibby
28-04-2018, 05:21 PM
I’d love us to have him next season. He looks a real talent. I’m not worried about him defensively. His pace meant Killie had to keep an extra man back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Baker2
28-04-2018, 05:31 PM
yip, bottled a couple of tackles today but the boy has so much potential. Great goal too!

hibby6270
28-04-2018, 05:36 PM
The boy is a traditional old fashioned winger and a good one. Very ‘ArthurDuncan-esque’.

Unfortunately, the way Man City play is not suited to his style. He’s unlikely to make it with them. However, he his perfect for us, perfect for the Scottish type of game.

Took his goal well today and was a great outlet to take pressure of the defence in the later stages. Agree though. His defensive qualities are not the best.

Another year on loan with us would do him no harm with a move to another English club probably his best bet.

TRC
28-04-2018, 05:42 PM
A tanner ba player as my Grandad would have said!

iwasthere1972
28-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Looked light a great big heavy weight had just fallen off his shoulders as the ball crossed the line.

Well played.

neil7908
28-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Tackling is his biggest weakness. I'm not expecting all of our attackers to go full throttle into every challenge but he pulls out of so many 50/50s that it can get frustrating.

He's grown on me a lot and I'd be delighted to get him back next season but he needs to get stuck in a bit more.

Hannah_hfc
28-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know what his contract situation is at Man City?

IMO it could only be good for him to have another season with us as opposed to Man City reserves/ lower league English team. Fingers crossed Hibs are onto this

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Absolutely love the guy.

Hate to put a dampener on things but the chat today was that he was at Ibrox having talks during the week.

Alan Preston is his agent apparently.

Really, really hope we can keep him but have a horrible feeling he’ll be away.

Hibee Mac
28-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Absolutely love the guy.

Hate to put a dampener on things but the chat today was that he was at Ibrox having talks during the week.

Wow, that would be horrendous. I hope that if that's even remotely true the players would be having a word in his ear.

lord bunberry
28-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know what his contract situation is at Man City?

IMO it could only be good for him to have another season with us as opposed to Man City reserves/ lower league English team. Fingers crossed Hibs are onto this

I think he’s still got 2 years on his contract.

B.H.F.C
28-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Was critical of him earlier in the season because we weren’t getting much to show for his good runs.

But I’d absolutely be trying to get him for next year. If he can start adding that finishing touch we’d have a real player on our hands.

bod
28-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Absolutely love the guy.

Got told last month that the the were interested ,hopefully Steven Gerard doesn’t want him

matty_f
28-04-2018, 06:31 PM
He reminds me of Ryan Giggs, one of my favourite ever non-Hibs players.

Billy Whizz
28-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Absolutely love the guy.

Rangers would have to have agreed a fee with City , for him to be at Ibrox

oneone73
28-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Why would Allan Preston be the agent of an English-born, English-domiciled Manchester City player? Doesn't make sense.

Billy Whizz
28-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Why would Allan Preston be the agent of an English-born, English-domiciled Manchester City player? Doesn't make sense.

Preston works for this company
I still think he shouldn’t be doing BBC work, talking about players, who he might be representing, or trying to move in, at another players expense

http://stellargroup.co.uk/football/

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Said last Dec walking back from the Rangers game that it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they went for him after he came on and utterly tormented them second half. That would be sickening. Don’t believe for a second that Preston is his agent though

CapitalGreen
28-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Rangers Director of Football is the former Academy Director of Man City.

matty_f
28-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Would expect there to be chat about The Rangers coming in for our players over the next few weeks. Wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

seanshow
28-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Going by his post match interview he is really happy to be back on the pitch and getting a goal, he did mention his loan situation but only looking forward to the next 3 games and then going back to Manchester city and to enjoy his summer,
it would be good if we can get Neil to persuade him back for another season, unless he has got a club lined up in England.

RyeSloan
28-04-2018, 10:19 PM
He reminds me of Ryan Giggs, one of my favourite ever non-Hibs players.

He has a very similar style that’s for sure [emoji736]

Onceinawhile
28-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Needs a left foot. Heart of a chicken. Terrible first half of the season and product wise.

Has really proved himself since January onwards though and really kicked on since his goal. Hope we get him again next year.

Jonnyboy
28-04-2018, 10:46 PM
https://twitter.com/hibsboy69/status/990310026014273536

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 10:47 PM
He was absolutely immense in the derby game back in October. As good a performance from anyone this season.

He doesn’t need to tackle or score, others are doing that just fine.

Would love him to come back but can’t see it unfortunately.

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2018, 10:52 PM
https://www.facebook.com/notusasoccerguy/posts/390654274745956

Deansy
28-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Brandon's too much of a footballer for Greyskull - he'd be wasting his career and good name by going there !

Shrekko
28-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Needs a left foot. Heart of a chicken. Terrible first half of the season and product wise.

Has really proved himself since January onwards though and really kicked on since his goal. Hope we get him again next year.
‘Heart of a chicken’ yet he’s probably one of the bravest players on the ball in the whole league?

How many other players do you see running at defenders like him? Surely you need to be brave doing that in Scotland with all the cloggers who play here?

Boy is terrific. He doesn’t like tackling - who cares??

TRC
29-04-2018, 06:18 AM
If ihe really was heatless he wouldn't have scored that goal yesterday. Watch it he, Killie player trys to chop him down twice!

FilipinoHibs
29-04-2018, 07:03 AM
‘Heart of a chicken’ yet he’s probably one of the bravest players on the ball in the whole league?

How many other players do you see running at defenders like him? Surely you need to be brave doing that in Scotland with all the cloggers who play here?

Boy is terrific. He doesn’t like tackling - who cares??

Neither did Latapy But good at intercepting passes.

JimBHibees
29-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Fantastic player to watch. Has done brilliant last 2 games as a sub. Hoping for more of the same next 3 games.

percy veer
29-04-2018, 09:10 AM
yip, bottled a couple of tackles today but the boy has so much potential. Great goal too!

understandable after 2nd game back from injury, hope he comes next season

Stevie Reid
29-04-2018, 12:41 PM
His quality has been obvious from day one.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Was really coming onto a game before getting injured and has picked up where he left off since returning ... its true that he isn't the bravest in a 50/50 situation, but on the ball the guy is great to watch and that will do for me .... certainly hope he returns for next season because if he can stay injury free he could be a big player for us.

I am critical of GMS at Aberdeen for his lack of enthusiasm when it comes to the physical aspect of the game, but that's because he disappears after a few hefty challenges, not because of his attitude to a 50/50 before I'm accused of hypocrisy

Ozyhibby
01-05-2018, 05:58 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/brandon-barker-determined-to-end-hibs-loan-spell-on-a-high-1-4732708/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Doesn’t sound negative at all.

Greenbeard
01-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Agree. Great as he often is in short bursts going forward (and there is def a role to play there) he doesn't fill me with confidence with his defensive contribution. As a speed merchant he doesn't have the aerobic engine for continuous effort tracking back and he'd be my last pick for the trenches or facing up to a hard 50/50 ball. Would be very worried v. any team that has a tendency to attack down the right flank. In fact if I was the oppo manager and BB was in the line up I'd be directing all the attacking play down that way. Horses for courses. Time and a place for him but currently not a first choice player for me.

1van Sprou7e
01-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Would be great to have him back next season

Lovely to hear how much all the players are enjoying being here

Greenbeard
01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
The boy is a traditional old fashioned winger and a good one. Very ‘ArthurDuncan-esque’.

Unfortunately, the way Man City play is not suited to his style. He’s unlikely to make it with them. However, he his perfect for us, perfect for the Scottish type of game.

Took his goal well today and was a great outlet to take pressure of the defence in the later stages. Agree though. His defensive qualities are not the best.

Another year on loan with us would do him no harm with a move to another English club probably his best bet.
"ArthurDuncan-esque". Yes. And I'll take back criticisms above if he scores two in a 7-0 win next week. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
He frustrated the life out of me earlier this season and i had him as more of an impact sub type but he's won me over. His goal against Killie was sublime. I wish we could sign him but a player like him is worth millions.

Deansy
01-05-2018, 09:33 AM
The Hootsmon's 'Rumour Mill' today -

Barker ‘open to Hibs return

Brandon Barker has insisted he would be open to returning to Hibs but concedes he’ll have to wait and see what Manchester City want to do. Barker will return to the Etihad with two years still remaining on his contract and it will be up to them as to what his immediate future will be, although he admitted he wouldn’t be adverse to another season with Hibs. The winger said: “I’d love to come back, this is a great club with a great team and what we have done this year has been phenomenal. We’ll have to wait to the summer to see what’s going to happen.” (Evening News)

Bayern Bru
01-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Brandon Barker has insisted he would be open to returning to Hibs but concedes he’ll have to wait and see what Manchester City want to do. Barker will return to the Etihad with two years still remaining on his contract and it will be up to them as to what his immediate future will be, although he admitted he wouldn’t be adverse to another season with Hibs. The winger said: “I’d love to come back, this is a great club with a great team and what we have done this year has been phenomenal. We’ll have to wait to the summer to see what’s going to happen.” (Evening News)

There's a longer piece in today's Evening News (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/brandon-barker-determined-to-end-hibs-loan-spell-on-a-high-1-4732708), he comes across really well

J-C
01-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Cracking talent but so frustrating to watch as he had little end product at times, he could do with another year of playing at our level.

Souter96Mac
01-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Can see him returning on loan. Would cost us an arm and a leg to get him permanently I think.

Billychaotic182
01-05-2018, 10:22 AM

So words straight from his mouth about wanting to stay. And to think there was a thread on here saying he didn’t want to stay.

J-C
01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
So words straight from his mouth about wanting to stay. And to think there was a thread on here saying he didn’t want to stay.

Man City were happy to let Roberts go to Celtic on a 2 year loan deal, so they may be willing to do the same with Barker.

Hibs90
01-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Who to believe, Brandon Barker or Hibbyradge? :greengrin

Mikey09
01-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Dribblers make mistakes but we don’t have enough of them in the game - even Boyle uses his speed a lot.

All pass pass pass type players but you need something different at times and while you may not always get the end product - if you did he would be a starter at Man City etc.

But he is easily one of our best players and even Lennon has said so seeing him in training daily.

Would love for him to come back for at least 1 more season.

Great post mate. It's fantastic to see an old fashioned winger. These guys are pretty rare in the game now. Kevin McCallister, Michael O'Neil, Brian Laudrup, Di Canio, Davie Cooper... All guys who had crowds on there feet. Barker is a top player and I think we forget how young he still is.

Scott Allan Key
01-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Cracking talent but so frustrating to watch as he had little end product at times, he could do with another year of playing at our level.

Lennon’s remarkable ability to develop young talent could see us in good stead to get him for longer I hope. I’d say Barker has improved despite injury as has likes of Boyle, Porteous, Shaw; not withstanding improvements and consistency levels to McGeouch, McGinn, Stevenson, Hanlon, etc. Coaches should be jumping to get their raw talent to us right now.

FilipinoHibs
01-05-2018, 10:58 AM

Hibbyradge - everything reported here is a fact. The media as we know is fake news and just made up.

Paisley Hibby
01-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Preston works for this company
I still think he shouldn’t be doing BBC work, talking about players, who he might be representing, or trying to move in, at another players expense

http://stellargroup.co.uk/football/

That slavering idiot shouldn't be on BBC Radio full stop.

snooky
01-05-2018, 11:05 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/brandon-barker-determined-to-end-hibs-loan-spell-on-a-high-1-4732708/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Doesn’t sound negative at all.

Would like to hear something along those lines from McG.

SuperAllyMcleod
01-05-2018, 04:07 PM
A song for Brandon - how about this to the tune of Rock The Casbah?

Defenders they don’t like him
Brandon Barker
Brandon Barker

overdrive
01-05-2018, 05:18 PM
A song for Brandon - how about this to the tune of Rock The Casbah?

Defenders they don’t like him
Brandon Barker
Brandon Barker

There’s already two for him. One specifically for him to the tune of the Heartbeat theme and the Neil Lennon and Garry Parker, Martin Boyle and Brandon Barker “That’s Entertainment” one.

WhileTheChief..
01-05-2018, 05:28 PM
For years we’ve been screaming out for a wide player with pace.

Now that hat we’ve finally got a quality player in that position folk want to turn him into a tough tackling midfielder that tracks back?

Mental.

Thankfully Lennon knows what he needs to be doing and Barker is delivering.

His job job is to get forward and create chances, which he does. If he chips in with a goal or two then even better.

Hibbyradge
01-05-2018, 06:05 PM

:na na:

My impression from the Hibs TV interview was that he'd be away at the end of the season. I didn't say anything about whether he wanted to come back or not.

Hibbyradge
01-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Would like to hear something along those lines from McG.

Which McG?

snooky
01-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Which McG?

Doh! Of course, we have 2.
Sorry, the Dylan variety.

1van Sprou7e
01-05-2018, 06:15 PM

Thought you were talking about Darren for a sec :wink:

J-C
01-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Thought you were talking about Darren for a sec :wink:

We have 3 McG's then :greengrin

Hibbyradge
01-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Dylan's future is in his own hands. He can stay if he wants.

Barker may be happy to stay at Hibs, but it's not his decision.

147lothian
02-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Any news on Dylan's injury? will he be back for Saturday? the most important player in the middle of the park for us this season for me and that's saying something with the exceptional midfield we have

Geo_1875
02-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Any news on Dylan's injury? will he be back for Saturday? the most important player in the middle of the park for us this season for me and that's saying something with the exceptional midfield we have

Dylan was running across the carpark last night to get away from the player sponsor night so injury can't be too bad

Brandon was non-committal about his future. Said he'd come back but wasn't up to him.

Hibbyradge
02-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Dylan was running across the carpark last night to get away from the player sponsor night so injury can't be too bad

He has a head injury.

bigwheel
02-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Brandon was non-committal about his future. Said he'd come back but wasn't up to him.

Lol re Dylan comment - It is a facial injury after all...[emoji2]

FilipinoHibs
02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
:na na:

My impression from the Hibs TV interview was that he'd be away at the end of the season. I didn't say anything about whether he wanted to come back or not.

He's loan player so has to report back to parent club before going out on loan again.

Smartie
02-05-2018, 09:45 AM
He has a head injury.

Was he able to run in a straight line?

Geo_1875
02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Lol re Dylan comment - It is a facial injury after all...[emoji2]

Hard to tell with a face like that.

Just meant he's running about and showing no ill effects

Hibbyradge
02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Was he able to run in a straight line?

:tee hee:

Are you suggesting he has a drink problem?

Sammy7nil
02-05-2018, 11:45 AM
He has a head injury.

He was running on the side of his face :greengrin:wink:

Borderhibbie76
02-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Brandon was non-committal about his future. Said he'd come back but wasn't up to him.Got Dylan to sign my Persevered T-shirt last night and I joked as He was signing it that I was gonna copy and paste his signature onto a new contract...he just laughed but I took it as he's probably away in summer sadly. Lennon said in his speech 1or 2 of the squad would be leaving so I reckon that's prob with Dylan I'm mind...was rumours flying around last night that Efe is off to China for Big money too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
02-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Got Dylan to sign my Persevered T-shirt last night and I joked as He was signing it that I was gonna copy and paste his signature onto a new contract...he just laughed but I took it as he's probably away in summer sadly. Lennon said in his speech 1or 2 of the squad would be leaving so I reckon that's prob with Dylan I'm mind...was rumours flying around last night that Efe is off to China for Big money too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Aye end of an era. Let's enjoy the lady 3 games.

Waxy
02-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Good shout. Lets enjoy what you said.

Jack Hackett
02-05-2018, 12:14 PM

I'm up for it if you are :greengrin