PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gerrard

Pages : [1] 2 3

Diclonius
26-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Apparently in talks to become new Rangers manager.

That's mental.

Steven79
26-04-2018, 11:23 AM

That's mental.

And another reason to hate the Huns as I can't stand him.

SirDavidsNapper
26-04-2018, 11:25 AM

That's mental.

Let's hope so. Less experience than Murty

iwasthere1972
26-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Odds 1/3.

He was at Ibrox in March to see his 'new team' lose 3-2 to ra Sellick and witness the atmosphere.

Potter is 7/1. :wink:

Greentinted
26-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I’ve no issue with Gerrard, but with his constant constipatory scowl he’ll probably fit in quite well over in the big hoose!

Newry Hibs
26-04-2018, 11:32 AM
From the BBC comments section .....

Inspired thinking from The Rangers.

After all Steven Gerrard is the last man who stopped Brendan Rodgers from winning a title.

Captain Trips
26-04-2018, 11:33 AM
He isn't stupid he knows what they are all about singing their pish on a match day. If he wants to represent that then he goes way down in my estimation.

guthrie01
26-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Would be a good appointment I think, Murty done a good job even with no managing experience before but couldn’t gain the respect of the players when Celtic put them in place. Gerrard will know how to lead a dressing room which is what Rangers are lacking right now

jacomo
26-04-2018, 11:39 AM

After all Steven Gerrard is the last man who stopped Brendan Rodgers from winning a title.

:hilarious

jacomo
26-04-2018, 11:40 AM
And another reason to hate the Huns as I can't stand him.

And he’s a catholic so the Huns will hate him too!

Famous Fiver
26-04-2018, 11:41 AM
I am no expert on sectarian issues but I thought the Rangers especially in their previous incarnation, had an affinity with Everton,(Duncan Ferguson, Walter Smith etc) and the Liverpool fans sing some Irish dirge, the name of which escapes me, but is usually identified with Eire.

Seems to me therefore that Gerrard is from 'the wrong side' so might not be welcomed by some of the more closed minded (in my opinion, the vast majority) of the Govan support.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Has he got someone to take on the Steven Gerrard role? I just don't think Rangers have a diver of his calibre in their squad.

hibsbollah
26-04-2018, 11:42 AM
This is going to confuse Bollah Jr, who is a Hibs and Liverpool fan who can't stand the huns but worships at the altar of stevie G and is halfway through his book :dunno:

Michael
26-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Would certainly be interesting to see how he does. Hopefully badly.

danhibees1875
26-04-2018, 11:44 AM

:faf: :thumbsup:

JeMeSouviens
This is going to confuse Bollah Jr, who is a Hibs and Liverpool fan who can't stand the huns but worships at the altar of stevie G and is halfway through his book :dunno:

Hide his crayons then! :wink:

Sir David Gray
This is perfect for me.

Never liked him as a player and if this happens i'll like him even less as a manager.

Mikey
26-04-2018, 11:46 AM

:tee hee:

matty_f
26-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Wait til he's on the sidelines telling his players to 'calm down, calm down' :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Sadly, I'm sure it's just yet another Morelos-to-China style Jim Traynor stunt but if it did happen, Lennon would have him for breakfast. :aok:

we are hibs
A man who won zero league titles as a player going to a club with zero league titles. Perfect fit

Renfrew_Hibby
I am no expert on sectarian issues but I thought the Rangers especially in their previous incarnation, had an affinity with Everton,(Duncan Ferguson, Walter Smith etc) and the Liverpool fans sing some Irish dirge, the name of which escapes me, but is usually identified with Eire.

Seems to me therefore that Gerrard is from 'the wrong side' so might not be welcomed by some of the more closed minded (in my opinion, the vast majority) of the Govan support.
Historically were Everton not formed out of a catholic church grouping, like us? Still got a catholic church in one of the corners at Goodieson have they not. Even the choice of blue shirts was something to do with the virgin Mary (im not religious in the slightest so that may be balls)
Liverpool has huge Irish/Scottish ancestry and in many ways its a bit like Glasgow on the Mersey. For me, Everton were more Irish in their make up than Liverpool. Don't let YNWA fool you.

seanoheimhin
26-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Imagine Murty, putting up with the dog**** that passes for governance at Ibrox and having to listen to that prick Dave King on a daily basis, only to be told you weren't being offered the job because you just don't have enough experience...

Hope it happens, complete joke of a club

Green_one
26-04-2018, 11:52 AM
He isn't stupid he knows what they are all about singing their pish on a match day. If he wants to represent that then he goes way down in my estimation.

Got to say I do not see how this pairing fits. Gerrard knows squat about Scottish football, he will expect a good wage and risks his reputation on a problem club. Will he get a good budget - probably not. Will he come under immediate pressure - yes. Can he take on Celtic - no. If he suceeds, no-one cares, if he fails he has pushed his managerial career back.

I can see what Rangers might get out of it short term - big name, some players from Liverpool etc. - little else

Remember he has a history of 'almost' moving. Admittedly its crazy enough for Sevco

Renfrew_Hibby
26-04-2018, 11:55 AM
PS I always remember seeing a couple of rangers tops being worn by liverpool fans when you see the Hillsborough footage and for years there's always been the odd Irish flag on view when Everton at playing at home.

DstN75
26-04-2018, 12:01 PM
To the extent that there's any substance at all to sectarian affiliations in Liverpool, Everton are the 'catholic' club and Liverpool are 'protestant'.

hibbyfraelibby
26-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Still ttying to sell season tickets down Ibrokes way? This could be on a par with the Morelos fantssy bid. Gerrard and a warchest of 12,000,000 Yuan to buy huddies they cannot afford.

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2018, 12:08 PM
cheating diving little pwick managing a vile institution = what a match

just need 'the gobber' carragher as his assistant, he could do all the interviews, then scottish football fans would go from not caring a jot what anyone from sevco says, to not having a clue what they're saying even if they did want to

IGRIGI
26-04-2018, 12:09 PM
What would this do to Celtic's "more than a club" boak inducing connection with Liverpool?

snooky
26-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Got to say I do not see how this pairing fits. Gerrard knows squat about Scottish football, he will expect a good wage and risks his reputation on a problem club. Will he get a good budget - probably not. Will he come under immediate pressure - yes. Can he take on Celtic - no. If he suceeds, no-one cares, if he fails he has pushed his managerial career back.

I can see what Rangers might get out of it short term - big name, some players from Liverpool etc. - little else

Remember he has a history of 'almost' moving. Admittedly its crazy enough for Sevco

The only plus for both sides in the deal is the instant publicity.
After that, I can only see disaster for both parties, TBH.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Please don’t do it Stevie G 😳

Pretty Boy
John Barnes.....

Billy Whizz
Fact that this is coming out a few days before they play Celtic, undermines Murty again

Steven79
26-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Fact that this is coming out a few days before they play Celtic, undermines Murty again

Hopefully it leads to them getting another hammering.....

lord bunberry
26-04-2018, 12:29 PM
I’ve always liked Gerrard, he was one of the best midfielders of his era. I don’t know why he would be interested in taking over that basket case of a club. It will more than likely be his first and last job in management.

The Harp
26-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I hope Gerrard does a little research into the history and traditions of both rangers and the rangers. If he is still interested in this poison chalice after that, then he needs help. :-(

Deansy
26-04-2018, 12:35 PM

That's mental.

That's season-ticket sales - show how desparate they are !. No hope of seriously challenging Septic but desparate for cash so get in a big-name that'll get the thicker of their support (approx 90%) to buy !!

FilipinoHibs
26-04-2018, 12:47 PM

That's mental.

That’s his managerial career over then!

EdinMike
26-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Would he introduce the Huddle ?

It’s the ****, pretty sure I could email them saying I’ve been linked with the job and they would put it somewhere...

Clerie Green
26-04-2018, 12:56 PM

What exactly is an Irish dirge ?

_hucks_
26-04-2018, 12:57 PM
To the extent that there's any substance at all to sectarian affiliations in Liverpool, Everton are the 'catholic' club and Liverpool are 'protestant'.

They're both of a methodist background. Liverpool split from Everton in a dispute over selling booze. Doesn't seem normal in Scotland to have a 2 team city, especially one as small as liverpool and with the grounds as close as they are, that isn't born out of the sectarian divide but it just doesn't fit here.

Pagan Hibernia
26-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Would be an insane move for Gerrard to make. For his sake I hope he doesn’t entertain it. For ours, with an interest in seeing Sevco fail, I hope he does :agree:

MB62
26-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Why would he want to manage a club who, on the last day of the season, in their biggest game of the season, can't even take any more than 2,000 fans to an away game?

Poor show really :wink: :greengrin

Bostonhibby
26-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Is Gerrard maybe actually going to buy Newco? with the losses they are already making we must be getting near the point where Dodgy Dave the GASL will want to offload them to a Craig Whyte type for a quid.

If not then Gerrard seriously needs to take a look at what he might be getting himself into, or is he that thick?

FilipinoHibs
26-04-2018, 01:23 PM
They're both of a methodist background. Liverpool split from Everton in a dispute over selling booze. Doesn't seem normal in Scotland to have a 2 team city, especially one as small as liverpool and with the grounds as close as they are, that isn't born out of the sectarian divide but it just doesn't fit here.

Chapel in the Everton ground. Big RC immigrant community for Ireland.

FilipinoHibs
26-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Is Gerrard maybe actually going to buy Newco? with the losses they are already making we must be getting near the point where Dodgy Dave the GASL will want to offload them to a Craig Whyte type for a quid.

If not then Gerrard seriously needs to take a look at what he might be getting himself into, or is he that thick?

He is thick! Met him on a train once!

Bostonhibby
26-04-2018, 01:28 PM

If he turns up at the hate filled arena that is Ibrox I guess we'll quickly find out just how daft he is.................

Northernhibee
26-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Tbf Alan Stubbs was a coach of a younger team with no experience of being a first team manager and took over a shambles of a club and did well.

Famous Fiver
26-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Fields of Athenry?

I am sure someone will come on to educate me in it's historical significance but to me it is merely an Irish dirge.

Feel free to educate me.

CLASS OF 72 -73
26-04-2018, 01:43 PM

Everton do have a history of hun staff connections but that and the colour are the only similarities. Can assure you Everton leanings are definitely more Irish than Liverpool .

Bostonhibby
26-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Fields of Athenry?

I am sure someone will come on to educate me in it's historical significance but to me it is merely an Irish dirge.

Feel free to educate me.

It's a song written about the Irish famine and deportation of Irish people for stealing to feed their families - to other parts of the old British Empire, Botany bay in this case, it is actually just a song as far as I am concerned but that's the context for some.

It's a bit of a dirge compared to SOL.

ancient hibee
26-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Tbf Alan Stubbs was a coach of a younger team with no experience of being a first team manager and took over a shambles of a club and did well.
But wasn’t expected to win every game and be challenging in Europe.

Northernhibee
26-04-2018, 01:52 PM

He did the even more unbelievable with Hibs tbf

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2018, 01:55 PM

:agree: You might get one season's grace at the New Huns if you are a clear 2nd but after that they expect the title. As 10iar gets closer for Celtc they will approach meltdown.

CMurdoch
26-04-2018, 01:55 PM
The Rangers trying to take a short cut again.
The penny never seems to drop.
Since they were liquidated they have made appalling decision after appalling decision.
Appointing Gerrard is of the same ilk. This is another forlorn effort to chase Celtic and keep the masses onside.
He has zero managerial experience. It will not work, will cost a lot of money and they will remain a mile behind Celtic.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO SUCCESS!!!

Peevemor
26-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Fields of Athenry?

Feel free to educate me.

Football stuff aside - I think it's a great song.

Swedish hibee
26-04-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm not a liverpool fan, but I quite like Gerrard. He'd certainly attract alotta attention!

banarc7062
26-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Odds 1/3.

He was at Ibrox in March to see his 'new team' lose 3-2 to ra Sellick and witness the atmosphere.

Potter is 7/1. :wink:

Yes Yes please select Potter :thumbsup: GGTTH

banarc7062
26-04-2018, 02:11 PM

That Board or is Bored? are the best. :flag:

jacomo
26-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Yeah but that’s because Stubbsy’s a hero.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Fields of Athenry?

Feel free to educate me.

I think Liverpool sing the Fields of Anfield Road, same tune but different lyrics. Same as Rangers sign Father's Advice which has the same tune but very different lyrics.

I agree with others, Fields of Athenry is a great song.

iwasthere1972
26-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Yes Yes please select Potter :thumbsup: GGTTH

It's no that Potter. :greengrin

erin go bragh
26-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Fields of Athenry?

Feel free to educate me.
Liverpool sing Fields of Anfield road , to the same tune but different words .

Famous Fiver
26-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Thanks Erin.

By the way, I looked up dirge. It's 'a lament for the dead.'

Seems like I wasn't far off, and I also prefer SOL.

Elephant Stone
26-04-2018, 03:03 PM
I've never once seen him interviewed and thought he was sound, hasn't done much wrong but just can't say I like him. As others have said, if he wants to go and represent right-wing trash then I wish nothing but misery upon him for the duration and maybe even for a while after.

Could be a decent appointment, he's played under some good managers but this by no means guarantees he'll be a good manager himself. Here's hoping he's as good as the last bunch of clowns.

dmc1875
26-04-2018, 03:06 PM
As a Liverpool fan this would be devastating. Hopefully Rodgers gets on the phone and talks him out of this nonsense

Jim44
26-04-2018, 03:14 PM
High profile name which Sevco crave for. Could turn out to be a ‘fur coat but nae knickers’ appointment.

DstN75
26-04-2018, 03:15 PM
He might be good but let's face it there's a much bigger chance he'll be average or poor. So I say they should crack on.

hibsbollah
26-04-2018, 03:20 PM
I've never once seen him interviewed and thought he was sound, hasn't done much wrong but just can't say I like him. As others have said, if he wants to go and represent right-wing trash then I wish nothing but misery upon him for the duration and maybe even for a while after.

Could be a decent appointment, he's played under some good managers but this by no means guarantees he'll be a good manager himself. Here's hoping he's as good as the last bunch of clowns.

Not only has he played under some top managers, he's a total perfectionist and demands his team works harder than any other. So he's unlikely to last long at Der Hun, where the currant:greengrin players don't give a ***** and are lazy, and where the signings won't be anywhere near the quality Gerrard is used to. Its just bizarre he's even talking to that mob.

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2018, 03:28 PM
I think Liverpool sing the Fields of Anfield Road, same tune but different lyrics. Same as Rangers sign Father's Advice which has the same tune but very different lyrics.

I agree with others, Fields of Athenry is a great song.

Yes It's fields of Anfield Road.

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2018, 03:36 PM
Fields of Athenry?

Feel free to educate me.

is a lovely song, without the alternate versions

Elephant Stone
26-04-2018, 03:39 PM
is a lovely song, without the alternate versions

There are no alternative versions, The Fields of Athenry is The Fields of Athenry. Rangers sing a lovely song about the UVF or the UDA or whatever they're called to the same tune but that's not an alternative version.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2018, 03:51 PM
There are no alternative versions, The Fields of Athenry is The Fields of Athenry. Rangers sing a lovely song about the UVF or the UDA or whatever they're called to the same tune but that's not an alternative version.

YCV, the youth wing of the UVF.

Elephant Stone
26-04-2018, 04:11 PM
YCV, the youth wing of the UVF.

Ta :aok:

The_Horde
26-04-2018, 04:51 PM
No chance this is happening. The the's will more than likely end up with his cousin.

Deansy
26-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Not only has he played under some top managers, he's a total perfectionist and demands his team works harder than any other. So he's unlikely to last long at Der Hun, where the currant:greengrin players don't give a ***** and are lazy, and where the signings won't be anywhere near the quality Gerrard is used to. Its just bizarre he's even talking to that mob.

It's not only that he's played under some good, big-name managers but I'm willing to bet Liverpool's behind-the-scenes set-up is just a tad more professional than what goes on at Murray Park !. He might be a perfectionist but at the end of the day, with their budget and what comes out of Murray Park .................................................. ............ I really hope he takes the job !

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I hope this is all papertalk. I really thought Gerrard would remain at Liverpool for years to come progressing through the ranks to eventual first team involvement. In fact I'm convinced he will and this story is total bull.

cocopops1875
26-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Heard about this a couple of days back along with the McGregor signing, what I know is certain Huns seem rather excited about his potential assistant, it’s not Waldo apparently.

blaikie
26-04-2018, 05:55 PM

The support network around Stubbs was superb, the Huns don’t have anything close to rivialling our setup!

johnbc70
26-04-2018, 07:08 PM
I will believe it when I see it. I just put £10 Steve Clarke as imagine he would be off if there was any interest.

If SG is appointed it has car crash written all over it.

Fuzzywuzzy
26-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Has he not got a motd contract? He ain't going to give that up for a basket case club

IGRIGI
26-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Has he not got a motd contract? He ain't going to give that up for a basket case club

That's the gravy train I'd be on, probably earning more money for just talking tom kite once a week.

LancsHibs
26-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Smells of a Joey Barton type managerial appointment

Is It On....
26-04-2018, 09:55 PM

Liverpool legend takes first managerial steps in Glasgow. John Barnes didn't last long and there is no evidence to suggest Steeevie G would fare much better 🙂

pacorosssco
26-04-2018, 09:58 PM
smells of huns trying shift season tickets. looks like signing players so dof is real man in charge.

snooky
27-04-2018, 10:01 AM
My gut feeling is that this is purely a "Let's shoot for the stars and when we fail, they can't say we never tried" exercise.
Even if I'm wrong and it happens, I still think it will all end in tears ... on both sides.

jacomo
27-04-2018, 10:07 AM
smells of huns trying shift season tickets. looks like signing players so dof is real man in charge.

:agree:

They also seem intent on undermining and humiliating Graeme Murty, which is frankly weird but quite pleasing.

Captain Trips
27-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Steven Gerrard as a player was top class this of course means zero as a manager. He will have contacts but none of this makes him a good manager.

Could be Stubbs. could be Calderwood.

Joe6-2
27-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Travelling by rail? That is thick, ha ha

SirDavidsNapper
27-04-2018, 11:13 AM
That just isn't going to end well. Do they see him as the new Souness or something? Whoever gets that job is on a hiding to nothing as they're never going to overturn Celtic and that's what they're judged on. Lack of experience is hurting them now with Murty and it wont change with Gerrard who won't have a pot to piss in.

FilipinoHibs
27-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Travelling by rail? That is thick, ha ha

Going to England training camp with Carragher. Both as arrogant and thick as ..... I was on way to Birmingham for trade union meeting and juked into first. Had the miss pleasure of sitting next to them.

erin go bragh
27-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Heard about this a couple of days back along with the McGregor signing, what I know is certain Huns seem rather excited about his potential assistant, it’s not Waldo apparently.

One of my delivery drivers mentioned Gerard signing on Momday past . Also said McGegor , Arfield and McCarthy were at Mordor this week. Today he’s saying Gary Macca ( can’t spell it :) as his assistant.
He also reckoned Neil Warnock was their first choice.
His source is someone on the board .

Spike Mandela
27-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Season ticket time in La La land.

makaveli1875
27-04-2018, 02:54 PM
One of my delivery drivers mentioned Gerard signing on Momday past . Also said McGegor , Arfield and McCarthy were at Mordor this week. Today he’s saying Gary Macca ( can’t spell it :) as his assistant.

Hull City assistant manager Andy Crosby has confirmed that goalkeeper Allan McGregor has not yet had a medical at Rangers, nor has he agreed a deal with the Glasgow club despite reports claiming that he had.
The Scottish Sun (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2556672/scott-arfield-wes-foderingham-allan-mcgregor-rangers-ibrox-quit-medical/) had reported that McGregor, 36, was due to undergo medical examinations with the Gers on Thursday and will be announced as one of the first signings of the summer transfer window before the end of the week (https://www.footballinsider247.com/mark-allen-will-seal-rangers-double-swoop-before-celtic-clash-medical-scheduled-today-report/).

However in a major development, Crosby has asserted that the Scotland international had never even left Humberside and there is yet to be an agreement for the goalkeeper to return to his former club.

heretoday
27-04-2018, 02:56 PM
He's really dim. It takes a special kind of nutter to be a successful Rangers manager.

Baader
27-04-2018, 04:24 PM
He'd be an absolute mug to take that job. Especially seeing as they arent going to win the title anytime soon, pressure would be on right from the off. He may as well kiss goodbye to having any hope of ever managing Liverpool if he takes it...

Since90+2
27-04-2018, 04:26 PM
I actually think he would be a good manager for someone but not the Huns. Seems a likeable bloke and I get the impression players would want to play for him.

Swedish hibee
27-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Does he get on with Brendan, Scouse?

Iain G
27-04-2018, 04:42 PM
This is a typical Sevco tactic now, go for high profile and generate lots of positive press excitement but really it's all blingy and flashy but no substance underneath, all fur coat and nae knickers I suppose!

weecounty hibby
27-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Even the Huns at my work have seen through this. The two I spoke to reckon it is all about shifting STs. Both said he could probably get a game as well and they would be more excited at that prospect. I asked if they thought he would get in before Halliday? They just ignored that.

Hibernian Verse
27-04-2018, 04:48 PM
If he does join them it can only be good for our league. Having Rodgers, Gerrard and Lennon to an extent in Scotland would look very good to those outside.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
27-04-2018, 04:51 PM
If he does join them it can only be good for our league. Having Rodgers, Gerrard and Lennon to an extent in Scotland would look very good to those outside.

What? No mention of Craig Levein? 😂

Hibernian Verse
27-04-2018, 04:56 PM
What? No mention of Craig Levein? [emoji23]Did I miss him out?! Sorry!!!

hibsbollah
27-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Sportsound absolutely wetting their knickers over the potential arrival of the redeemer.

Aberdeen manager Mcinnes clearly jacked off being asked about Gerrard twice in the prelude to the Hearts game, skilfully changes the subject onto his own team. As much as I appreciate Lennon, I wish he'd do the same. I don't care about the Rangers, as someone said.

snooky
27-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Sportsound absolutely wetting their knickers over the potential arrival of the redeemer.

Aberdeen manager Mcinnes clearly jacked off being asked about Gerrard twice in the prelude to the Hearts game, skilfully changes the subject onto his own team. As much as I appreciate Lennon, I wish he'd do the same. I don't care about the Rangers, as someone said.

Sums up what's important to the Beeb and, what's more to the point, what's totally unimportant.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Going to England training camp with Carragher. Both as arrogant and thick as ..... I was on way to Birmingham for trade union meeting and juked into first. Had the miss pleasure of sitting next to them.

What a crock of ****,have you asked yourself maybe how you came across to them? Your description is nothing like how either of them actually are.

HibbyAndy
27-04-2018, 06:13 PM
If it is Gerrard least he was the last man to stop Brendan Rodgers winning the league :tee hee:

iwasthere1972
27-04-2018, 06:19 PM
If it is Gerrard least he was the last man to stop Brendan Rodgers winning the league :tee hee:

Andy. You're about two days late. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
27-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Andy. You're about two days late. :greengrin

Ack i've no read the whole thread Rab just saw it on Facebook :greengrin

dar
27-04-2018, 06:27 PM
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/989920642697965570 :greengrin

lord bunberry
27-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Did anyone here Murty saying that if he wins the last four games he might still get the job? I almost phoned the RSPCA, it’s disturbing viewing.

FilipinoHibs
27-04-2018, 09:09 PM
What a crock of ****,have you asked yourself maybe how you came across to them? Your description is nothing like how either of them actually are.

You know them personally then? Met them in real life ? Carragher’s recent behaviour with little girl and Gerard’s antics with the gangsters and his Wife more an indication of their true personalities.

I also met John Collins on a flight and a really humble man who took the time to speak about Hibs. Worked non stop in preparation for his up and commentary assignment. Treated everybody with respect. Far cry from those two parts.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2018, 06:52 AM
You know them personally then? Met them in real life ? Carragher’s recent behaviour with little girl and Gerard’s antics with the gangsters and his Wife more an indication of their true personalities.

I also met John Collins on a flight and a really humble man who took the time to speak about Hibs. Worked non stop in preparation for his up and commentary assignment. Treated everybody with respect. Far cry from those two parts.

Yes I have, as I thought your response in justifying your remarks by quoting recent incidents from the media, rather than explaining what actually happened "on the train" backs up my original post. If you have a low opinion because of what you have read fair enough but don't make up things about two guys who are generally great with people tbey meet.

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Does he know what he is letting himself in for ? I think he should do his homework first. His managerial career could be over before it even starts.

FilipinoHibs
28-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Yes I have, as I thought your response in justifying your remarks by quoting recent incidents from the media, rather than explaining what actually happened "on the train" backs up my original post. If you have a low opinion because of what you have read fair enough but don't make up things about two guys who are generally great with people tbey meet.
Actually It was a number of years ago before the Carragher incident and me even knowing about the Gerard’s and gangsters, fights etc. Though those incidents back up the arrogant, rude and thick characteristics they showed on that journey to fellow Travelers and rail company staff. I was shocked particularly with Gerrard given his nice boy media image. He is made for Rangers.

Lancs Harp
28-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Historically were Everton not formed out of a catholic church grouping, like us? Still got a catholic church in one of the corners at Goodieson have they not. Even the choice of blue shirts was something to do with the virgin Mary (im not religious in the slightest so that may be balls)
Liverpool has huge Irish/Scottish ancestry and in many ways its a bit like Glasgow on the Mersey. For me, Everton were more Irish in their make up than Liverpool. Don't let YNWA fool you.

St Lukes church in the corner of Goodison Park is an anglican church.

Many teams in Britain were formed from church associations in the latter 1800s.

SuperAllyMcleod
28-04-2018, 12:18 PM

It must just be me, but why don’t they sing songs about the fitba or about their team?

All this sectarian nonsense is depressing - I just can’t get my head around all of these alternative agendas for singing at the match.

jacomo
28-04-2018, 01:07 PM
It must just be me, but why don’t they sing songs about the fitba or about their team?

All this sectarian nonsense is depressing - I just can’t get my head around all of these alternative agendas for singing at the match.

It’s business.

Loyalty to a football team is just a football team.

Loyalty to a culture, the Queen and your way of life runs deeper and is potentially more valuable to those who exploit it.

Onion
28-04-2018, 01:24 PM
He'd be an absolute mug to take that job. Especially seeing as they arent going to win the title anytime soon, pressure would be on right from the off. He may as well kiss goodbye to having any hope of ever managing Liverpool if he takes it...

Who knows what Sevco are capable of. He won't take the job without assurances of big money to sign top players, and Sevco are desperate enough to provide that simply to stop 10 in a row. IMO Sevco would probably risk suicide to stop Celtic - beg steal and borrow to destruction. Horrible club run by crooks for bigots.

jgl07
28-04-2018, 01:25 PM
St Lukes church in the corner of Goodison Park is an anglican church.

Many teams in Britain were formed from church associations in the latter 1800s.

Everton used to give free tickets to Catholic Priests.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Everton used to give free tickets to Catholic Priests.

What really matters is religion has no place in football, and it also has no bearing in Liverpool between either football club.

surreyhibbie
28-04-2018, 04:27 PM
What really matters is religion has no place in football.

:agree::agree::agree:

cleanyman
28-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Don't know If I buy that religion has no place in football. It was the inspiration behind the founding of countless football clubs.

HappyAsHellas
28-04-2018, 04:45 PM
People wanting to bring religion into football are either agenda driven or thick. Both types should obviously be avoided.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Don't know If I buy that religion has no place in football. It was the inspiration behind the founding of countless football clubs.

Which has long since thankfully been forgotten by most. Anyone that asks me about religion in a football discussion is told to get to ****.

Joe Baker2
28-04-2018, 05:49 PM
can't believe Gerrard wants to take a bite out of that **** sandwich, but hey ho.

IGRIGI
28-04-2018, 05:50 PM
What really matters is religion has no place in football, and it also has no bearing in Liverpool between either football club.

Stevie's in for a shock then :greengrin

Billy Whizz
29-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Seems to be happening
Sky suggesting it may happen next week

SirDavidsNapper
29-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Its the best appointment the rest of us could have hoped for

Billy Whizz
29-04-2018, 10:37 AM

But he’ll only be wanting it, if he’s promised a massive spending budget
Wonder who’s funding it though?

matty_f
29-04-2018, 10:38 AM
If nothing else it's a good appointment for Scottish football as it'll generate a whole load of interest.

Clearly hope he fails spectacularly but the media circus around it should be entertaining.

Diclonius
29-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Gerrard could un-retire and he'd be better than the entire Rangers squad. Wonder if he's considering it.

Jack Hackett
29-04-2018, 10:45 AM
If nothing else it's a good appointment for Scottish football as it'll generate a whole load of interest.

Clearly hope he fails spectacularly but the media circus around it should be entertaining.

:agree:

My crystal ball sees another Joey Barton debacle

emerald green
29-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Gerrard might have second thoughts about taking charge at Mordor if he sees them getting hammered today.

Jim44
29-04-2018, 10:48 AM
The muppets on FF are pulling their hair out over this picture of Gerard from the Mail. :greengrin

Iain G
29-04-2018, 11:15 AM
can't believe Gerrard wants to take a bite out of that **** sandwich, but hey ho.

This will kill his managerial career at the first stage, it's John Barnes take two, promises of support and cash from Dave King and co will never materialise and he will be taking a huge gamble, he just needs to look at how badly they have treated Murty...

FilipinoHibs
29-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Daily Mirror confirming appointment.

Stonewall
29-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Has Gerrard actually made any comment himself yet? Seems to have been very quiet.

wpj
29-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Which has long since thankfully been forgotten by most. Anyone that asks me about religion in a football discussion is told to get to ****.

Totally agree, so often asked If we are the Catholic team in Edinburgh and always reply nah we're fi Leith. History is relevant but so is the now. Also sorry Scouse but my Liverpool branch of the family are all Blues 😎

Famous Fiver
29-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Is it true Gerrard's phone is off, or is it just the signal between Glasgow and Liverpool?

'Steven, Steven, canny hear ye, there's summat up wi the line. Hello, Hello.... anybody there?'

Oh ma sides.....

Speedway
29-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Slippy G will be a chequebook manager.

This is very good news for us.

emerald green
29-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Surely Gerrard will see sense now and give Mordor a knock back?

Swedish hibee
29-04-2018, 01:07 PM
He can't do worse than this.... Maybes that's the way he's seeing it too?

hibees 7062
29-04-2018, 01:07 PM
https://scontent.fman3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/30937380_10216632043778370_5475821023746414555_o.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeG83OYSKkj00XN-0AeSN7PiYFq4BPM4igYMV9hwQaq5jKJg4Qgjt6dHuiE7A2ML1l oIn2g2vrNuhJ7LzmbmveQA41U4s_qfZgEkzZxjhw7YaA&oh=5b582ce2f71b8a7aa6051cc511e226dc&oe=5B56FD03

Jim44
29-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Surely Gerrard will see sense now and give Mordor a knock back?

I think it might do the opposite and persuade him to take it. They are rock bottom and can only improve ............. less of a risk for Gerard and a chance to make a name for himself.

jacomo
29-04-2018, 01:29 PM

Especially the timing, as it seems to have fatally undermined the current incumbent of the job.

cabbageandribs1875
29-04-2018, 01:29 PM
a win win for the diving scouser imo :agree:

sevco will be even more desperate to land him and meet his 'demands'...bigger salary and larger 'war chest' i hope they lose a lorra lorra money

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Gary McAllister to be his assistant.
I would pretty much support Gerrard in any job he had apart from a few obvious ones. I could never have imagined him taking the Rangers job though.
Hope he fails miserably if he does accept it.

JeMeSouviens
29-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Impossible job and today underlines that even further. Sevco refuse to knuckle down and rebuild. Instead they go for yet another Hail Mary gamble. Almost certain to be a disaster.

Big Yes from me. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Totally agree, so often asked If we are the Catholic team in Edinburgh and always reply nah we're fi Leith. History is relevant but so is the now. Also sorry Scouse but my Liverpool branch of the family are all Blues 😎

No worries mate, you can't choose family.😁

Lago
29-04-2018, 01:45 PM

That was then, this is now 2018!!

wpj
29-04-2018, 01:49 PM
No worries mate, you can't choose family.😁

😁

Bostonhibby
29-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Which has long since thankfully been forgotten by most. Anyone that asks me about religion in a football discussion is told to get to ****.[emoji106]

Great minds think alike.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

jgl07
29-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Yes Warnock would leave Premier League bound Cardiff to join Rangers.

I know that Neil Warnock is an anagram of Colin W*nker, but he isn't that stupid.

davym7062
29-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Now I don't know if this is true but a bluenose told me Liverpool want Gerard to take over from klopp eventually so they're letting him cut his teeth at sevco! So it's effectively a loan!!

Joe6-2
29-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Now I don't know if this is true but a bluenose told me Liverpool want Gerard to take over from klopp eventually so they're letting him cut his teeth at sevco! So it's effectively a loan!!

Well they won’t want him back after a huge disaster of a move!

Captain Trips
29-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Gerrard told by new advisory team that The Rangers would be an excellent choice to make:

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12200000/One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoo-s-Nest-one-flew-over-the-cuckoo-E2-80-99s-nest-12279868-520-390.jpg

Scouse Hibee
29-04-2018, 07:00 PM

🤣

Onion
30-04-2018, 01:02 AM
Gerrard told by new advisory team that The Rangers would be an excellent choice to make:

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12200000/One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoo-s-Nest-one-flew-over-the-cuckoo-E2-80-99s-nest-12279868-520-390.jpg

Madness. Gerrard cannot be short of money, so that's not the reason. All the risk is on the downside. The Sevco Board and fans are basket cases. They will never deliver on promised funds and will throw you under the bus quicker than they'll release a statement.

Really like Gerrard as a person but Sevco are living in La la Land and will drag him down. They are a bunch of immoral, bigoted, power-hungry crooks and the very last people Gerrard needs to associate himself with.

HoboHarry
30-04-2018, 03:33 AM
Does he get on with Brendan, Scouse?
Gerrard has previous for costing Brendan Rodgers a championship title so it's no wonder Sevco want him so badly.......:greengrin

FilipinoHibs
30-04-2018, 05:09 AM
Madness. Gerrard cannot be short of money, so that's not the reason. All the risk is on the downside. The Sevco Board and fans are basket cases. They will never deliver on promised funds and will throw you under the bus quicker than they'll release a statement.

Really like Gerrard as a person but Sevco are living in La la Land and will drag him down. They are a bunch of immoral, bigoted, power-hungry crooks and the very last people Gerrard needs to associate himself with.

seems to like crooks going by his Liverpool acquaintance! will feel quite at home then.

Libby Hibby
30-04-2018, 05:40 AM
To put the shoe on the other foot, would Gerrard be a sound appointment for Hibs? I would think it would be a massive gamble for us too. It’s his inexperience that’s the problem. Despite us being a well run club, it could have failure written all over it.

Chuck in the basket case that is Sevco and this could be funnier than Pedro.

jacomo
30-04-2018, 06:28 AM
To put the shoe on the other foot, would Gerrard be a sound appointment for Hibs? I would think it would be a massive gamble for us too. It’s his inexperience that’s the problem. Despite us being a well run club, it could have failure written all over it.

Chuck in the basket case that is Sevco and this could be funnier than Pedro.

As has been said already, Hibs have got a really good structure in place these days to support the manager.

The Rangers have a DoF in place now but Gerrard will under huge scrutiny and pressure.

It really looks like he’s going to take it...

Iain G
30-04-2018, 06:37 AM
As has been said already, Hibs have got a really good structure in place these days to support the manager.

The Rangers have a DoF in place now but Gerrard will under huge scrutiny and pressure.

It really looks like he’s going to take it...

Then he is a fool who hasn't done his research properly into just how much of a mess they are in...

BroxburnHibee
30-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Hell mend him. He'll soon find out what a shambles of a club they are.

johnbc70
30-04-2018, 07:11 AM
I hope he decides against it and then we can look forward to another statement about how he was not up to the job anyway.

Bristolhibby
30-04-2018, 07:13 AM
John Barnes.....

This. It reeks of John Barnes. Except this time the Huns don’t have the money they had back then.

Nothing to fear. Stevie G is in for a shock in the hostile goldfish bowl that is the OF media reporting.

J

Bostonhibby
30-04-2018, 07:43 AM
A player I liked a lot but I seriously doubt he understands what he's getting into. Probably did as much research as Wrighty and Shearer did for their chat about it last night, seemed to think all good at ibrox and all they need is someone like gerrard and investment and it's all good. They really don't understand the Scottish game at all.

Future17
30-04-2018, 09:51 AM
A player I liked a lot but I seriously doubt he understands what he's getting into. Probably did as much research as Wrighty and Shearer did for their chat about it last night, seemed to think all good at ibrox and all they need is someone like gerrard and investment and it's all good. They really don't understand the Scottish game at all.

Agree and when he leaves after 6-9 months, Shearer will come up with something insightful such as "it just didn't seem to work out for him up there".

SirDavidsNapper
30-04-2018, 09:56 AM

I was surprised at hearing what Shearer said. It's just sheer ignorance. Rangers are a basket case and make Sunderland look like a well run club.

bingo70
30-04-2018, 10:00 AM
This. It reeks of John Barnes. Except this time the Huns don’t have the money they had back then.

Nothing to fear. Stevie G is in for a shock in the hostile goldfish bowl that is the OF media reporting.

J

Don’t see why.

Gerrard seems to me to be a decent communicator and an excellent motivator.

I’ve no idea if he would be any good for the huns but I don’t see the comparison with John Barnes.

Cabbage East
30-04-2018, 10:16 AM
The comparison is obvious. No managerial experience, a 'big name' brought in to appease the fans. I thing this is a bad move for the huns and a bad move for Gerrard.

So I fully approve of it.

snooky
30-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Hell mend him. He'll soon find out what a shambles of a club they are.

Surprised he doesn't give Joey B a call to get the low-down.

"Hello Wacker, like what's the score in up in Jocksville...." :take that

makaveli1875
30-04-2018, 10:28 AM
i predict a statement from Jabba

The job was too big for Gerrard , he's a *****bag and a concomitant risk . It beggars belief , we are the people

Scooter
30-04-2018, 10:32 AM
I would be very surprised if he hasn't spoken to Brendan Rodgers

bingo70
30-04-2018, 10:34 AM
The comparison is obvious. No managerial experience, a 'big name' brought in to appease the fans. I thing this is a bad move for the huns and a bad move for Gerrard.

So I fully approve of it.

I just think Barnes has never come across as a very good communicator, I can never make out what he’s saying on the tele and I don’t think he ever came across as much of a leader in his playing days.

I think a managers main role is to be a great motivator, there’ll be plenty of help and support when it comes to transfers/tactics etc, his main job is to get the players playing to the best of their ability. Time will tell if he’s able to do that or not but I think the indications from his playing days are that he was pretty good at that side of it.

If I was him I’d hold out for a job at a team that’s on the up rather than one he’ll have to stop the rut and arrest a huge slide. I also wouldn’t work for that shower of bigots but that’s probably a different story.

I hope he’s a complete disaster and I think the biggest danger he’ll face is underestimating the Scottish league, especially if he’s bringing up Gary mcallister to be his assistant, I can see why they are targeting him though.

Hibbyradge
30-04-2018, 10:34 AM
https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status/990562567482470401?s=19

Captain Trips
30-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Steven Gerrard officially been and gone from Ibrox today for talks:

https://piximus.net/media2/48342/cars-on-bricks-that-are-almost-painful-to-look-at-1.jpg

snooky
30-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Steven Gerrard officially been and gone from Ibrox today for talks:

https://piximus.net/media2/48342/cars-on-bricks-that-are-almost-painful-to-look-at-1.jpg

:faf::faf::faf:

:agree: The wheels are definitely off the Rangers wagon just now.

SonOfDavidFrancey
30-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Becoming increasingly noticeable that all the English pundits are saying yep it’s a no brainer and all the Scottish ones that he’d have to have no brain to take the job

Colr
30-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Becoming increasingly noticeable that all the English pundits are saying yep it’s a no brainer and all the Scottish ones that he’d have to have no brain to take the job

Has anyone passed Gerrard a copy of the Rangers song book? He is a Catholic after all.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-04-2018, 09:12 PM
As much as I hate the huns I’m gonna fight the corner of my boyhood hero for a minute, so hear me out...

One, most importantly, he’s not gonna have agreed to go there without them giving him certain reassurances on the budget, he’s going to get a war chest to get him started, talking 15-20+ imo, whether that’s done by the books or not, that’s down to The Rangers.

Two, they’re getting the name, Steven gerrard is one of the most respected names in world football and imo one of, or if not, the greatest British player of my generation, them being the first team to give him a senior manager position gets the a lot of publicity and there’s a new grown attraction to rangers for press and players.

Three, he’ll have to get the right back room staff, back room staff is vitally important, that’s why I’m worried about all this Buvac leaving Klopp, what people don’t realise is a lot of the time the back room staff are the real tacticians, the managers job is to manage the players ie man management (something Cathro had none of and Levein has none of) to get players motivated etc, now I know from reading both his biographies that his role as Liverpool captain was basically that, he saved Brendan’s skin on several occasions, when Suarez told Brendan he never wanted to play for him again, it was gerrard to brought them back together, was him who everyone went to for advice etc, he has that bit nailed, plus there’s no chance they won’t respect him, come on, it’s Stevie ****in G, so if he’s get people in with him who know the game and know the Scottish game, he’ll have that experience through his understudies.

So yeah, players will want to play for Stevie G, his connections and name will bring top players. But they can’t expect him to bridge the gap on Celtic in one season, they’ll need to give him time, but he knows the game of football, may have not been through a managers eyes, but you best believe he knows how to win football matches.

Could go pear shaped, but also think it could (sadly) be a pretty smart move from Sevco.

Scouse Hibee
30-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Has anyone passed Gerrard a copy of the Rangers song book? He is a Catholic after all.

Not that it matters a jot but he ain't and never has been!

TheMentalHibees
30-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Arrogant enough to think he can succeed there and stupid enough to fail. He has my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colr
30-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Oh, yeh?

“Raised Catholic, he attended St Michael's Primary School and Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School.”

snooky
30-04-2018, 09:26 PM

So the pundits from both sides of the Border are in agreement. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
30-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Oh, yeh?

“Raised Catholic, he attended St Michael's Primary School and Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School.”

Oh Yeah, I am well aware of where he went to school and wasn't raised a Catholic! Read his book and you will discover why those schools were chosen.😉 Ach well it will the Old Firm Muppets something to argue about.

Colr
30-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Oh Yeah, I am well aware of where he went to school and wasn't raised a Catholic! Read his book and you will discover why those schools were chosen.😉 Ach well it will the Old Firm Muppets something to argue about.

Married in a catholic ceremony, daughter called Lourdes. That’s easily enough for the hun!

Sir David Gray
30-04-2018, 09:54 PM
As much as I hate the huns I’m gonna fight the corner of my boyhood hero for a minute, so hear me out...

One, most importantly, he’s not gonna have agreed to go there without them giving him certain reassurances on the budget, he’s going to get a war chest to get him started, talking 15-20+ imo, whether that’s done by the books or not, that’s down to The Rangers.

Two, they’re getting the name, Steven gerrard is one of the most respected names in world football and imo one of, or if not, the greatest British player of my generation, them being the first team to give him a senior manager position gets the a lot of publicity and there’s a new grown attraction to rangers for press and players.

Three, he’ll have to get the right back room staff, back room staff is vitally important, that’s why I’m worried about all this Buvac leaving Klopp, what people don’t realise is a lot of the time the back room staff are the real tacticians, the managers job is to manage the players ie man management (something Cathro had none of and Levein has none of) to get players motivated etc, now I know from reading both his biographies that his role as Liverpool captain was basically that, he saved Brendan’s skin on several occasions, when Suarez told Brendan he never wanted to play for him again, it was gerrard to brought them back together, was him who everyone went to for advice etc, he has that bit nailed, plus there’s no chance they won’t respect him, come on, it’s Stevie ****in G, so if he’s get people in with him who know the game and know the Scottish game, he’ll have that experience through his understudies.

So yeah, players will want to play for Stevie G, his connections and name will bring top players. But they can’t expect him to bridge the gap on Celtic in one season, they’ll need to give him time, but he knows the game of football, may have not been through a managers eyes, but you best believe he knows how to win football matches.

Could go pear shaped, but also think it could (sadly) be a pretty smart move from Sevco.

And if all else fails he can show the Rangers players all his Premier League winners medals. :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-04-2018, 10:20 PM
And if all else fails he can show the Rangers players all his Premier League winners medals. :greengrin

Can’t forget that Champions League medal also :wink:

Eyrie
30-04-2018, 10:37 PM

I'm sure he'll manage to slip it into conversation.

I think Gerrard would be nuts to take the job though. The odds are stacked heavily against him succeeding, which will hamper his chances of building a good career in management. The best he can hope for is a solid second place in the league and a couple of cup wins which that won't improve his chances of landing a decent job in England.

He'd be better off starting somewhere like Ipswich and getting them promoted or at least into the playoffs. If he struggles there, then at least he'll have tried his best in a good situation unlike the clusterbleep that is Sevco.

Dunbar Hibee
30-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Eye watering stuff, feeling emotional.

Fact is it’s a massive risk and ultimately one that will end badly. **** them both.

Swedish hibee
01-05-2018, 01:50 AM
I would be very surprised if he hasn't spoken to Brendan Rodgers

Thought they didn't get on? Well thats according to a gas bag presenter on talksport!

InchHibby
01-05-2018, 04:35 AM
I tend to agree with Kris Boyd, first they go for Derek Mcinnes who knows the Scottish game inside out, then they take a completely different direction with Gerard who, not only knows nothing about the Scottish game, he’s not even been remotely interested in the Scottish game, he’s never been tested as a manager nor an Assistant manager.
The most he will do is maybe come second, maybe win a cup and none of that will enhance his cv to manage anywhere else in the world.
He needs to start his career in the lower divisions of England and nowhere else.
It’ll all end in tears, believe me and when it does, because he’s Gerard, he will get another chance down South, in the lower leagues.

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Fat Sally - tried and failed

Magic Hat the next England manager - tried and failed

Pedro the master tactician - tried and failed

Murty the youth coach - car crash

Gerrard the youth coach - massive success? I think not

Rangers are a complete basket case of a club with no direction, infighting and no funds to get anywhere near Celtic. They need a Walter Smith or someone with bags of managerial experience not Steven Gerrard. Gerrard's spent an entire career at a club he was adored. One draw with Partick Thistle up here and he'll be yet another victim of vile abuse. Something he's never experienced while trying to hold together a huge club with unrealistic expectations. Rangers are broken.

green day
01-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Has he not asked Gary Neville about the difference between a media gig and the hell of management?

Why is he even bothering???

Jim44
01-05-2018, 06:38 AM

Oh, yeh?

Married in a catholic ceremony, daughter called Lourdes. That’s easily enough for the hun!

All very unimportant and a moot point in the age of the enlightened Hun. He’ll be fine as long as he succeeds. If not, however ..........

ian cruise
01-05-2018, 06:47 AM
I'm sure others have raised the same point but I can't see what he has to gain. He surely isn't getting paid more money than he is at Liverpool and Sky, while he's a Liverpool youth coach championship teams in England will take a chance on him. If he doesn't run Celtic close for the title he's failed up here in most people's eyes, if he doesn't finish 2nd he's done. Past experience has shown that the current club will throw a manager to the wolves before facing up to their own short comings and the Scottish press will ably assist

FilipinoHibs
01-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Arrogant enough to think he can succeed there and stupid enough to fail. He has my backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No championship medals and used to mixing with gangsters. Ideal f*or the huns. Can't wait for the after match interviews

ian cruise
01-05-2018, 07:11 AM
I've seen a few here mention Gerrard as a great motivator, now I don't watch a huge amount of English football but any time I've seen him he comes across a bit dour. Is he genuinely known for being a motivational person or is he just a great talent who played for good and fairly successful teams?

Green_one
01-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Sorry but this fails at the first premiss and then gets worse

A passing knowledge of the club shows they have no cash but will talk like they do. Plus they need a lot of cash to catch Celtic who are accumulating the benefits of being top dog

Bottom line is they are swapping one youth coach for another. At best it will take time. He will not be given that. Rangers are broken, from top to bottom. Gerrard cannot fix that position, just make it more newsworthy. Part of the story will be broken promises by the board. Happy to watch that and the slobbering media attention but not good for Gerrard

Jim44
01-05-2018, 08:03 AM
I hope Gerrard keeps them hanging on for as long as possible. Until Murty is sacked and they confirm Gerrard’s appointment, they will become more and more vulnerable for the last three matches. Murty’s presence will keep the dressing room divided and the fans so apoplectic that they’ll turn on the team even more than they have in the last 48 hours. Sacking Murty at 2pm on Sunday and getting a new caretaker might have given the team the boost that a new face can bring. I think they’ve left it too late and could limp to the finishing line.

therealgavmac
01-05-2018, 08:26 AM

No, he’s not

Jim44
01-05-2018, 08:53 AM
No, he’s not

We’ve already had this conversation on the last page.

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 09:11 AM
I've seen a few here mention Gerrard as a great motivator, now I don't watch a huge amount of English football but any time I've seen him he comes across a bit dour. Is he genuinely known for being a motivational person or is he just a great talent who played for good and fairly successful teams?

I'm the same as you. Don't watch much English football but i remember the "don't let it slip" motivational speech when they only had the league to lose. That worked well :wink:

Jim44
01-05-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm the same as you. Don't watch much English football but i remember the "don't let it slip" motivational speech when they only had the league to lose. That worked well :wink:

Who knows if he is the Messiah they are hoping for? He might go the distance but,at worst, I think his reputation as a player will gee up the players for the first part of the season and a new false dawn might happen.

Greencore
01-05-2018, 09:41 AM
waiting for a statement 😂😂😂😂😂

JeMeSouviens
01-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Who knows if he is the Messiah they are hoping for? He might go the distance but,at worst, I think his reputation as a player will gee up the players for the first part of the season and a new false dawn might happen.

Impossible to know if he will be good in the long term. He dragged Liverpool to a European Cup from 3-0 down more or less single handed but also was captain of a team that bottled the league. Anyway, history is littered with inspirational players who became ***** managers.

What's a cast iron certainty, imo, is that unless the New Huns strike gold under Ibrox, he's going to finish miles behind Celtc. I think they'd accept improvement next year. So conceivably he could finish a clear 2nd and avoid total humiliation in the games v Celtc and escape back down south with reputation intact but it's a hell of a gamble. The English pundits who view the New Huns as an easy starter option compared to a Championship team are laughably ill informed. :rolleyes:

Colr
01-05-2018, 11:06 AM
No, he’s not

Don’t start that again!

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Don’t start that again!

Why not, Gerrard said it himself.

Iain G
01-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Pat Nevin on the nose as usual, bit of common sense and perspective on the whole thing when compared to the English media empty headed comments:

Nevin disagreed with the suggestion by former England striker Alan Shearer and other pundits that Gerrard becoming Rangers manger was "a no-brainer".

"I don't think many people in Scotland would agree with that statement," he said.

"It was a real surprise to hear that and my ears were pinned back when I heard it."

"It is a big call - a massive one. And it is a brainer, not a no-brainer, and you would have to think about it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43946933

hibeeron
01-05-2018, 01:37 PM
No, he’s not

His Daughters attend / attended a C of E primary school

sadtom
01-05-2018, 01:43 PM
When you see how quickly and with such venom that they have turned on Murty. Calling him all the 'taig' so-and-so's under the sun. With whatever catholic links SG has how long before they do likewise to him if he hasn't Won the title, the cup, married into the monarchy and ransacked the Vatican in his first season.
He must be off his chump to even consider it.
The thing that gets me and the question i'd really like to ask any possible candidate, is not whether they think they will be successful. But do you really want to be successful? Providing joy to the cretinous inhabitants of that rancid cesspit.
I cant see how any decent human being could live with themselves knowing they'd given succor to those hunmonkey bigots.

Bostonhibby
01-05-2018, 01:48 PM
When you see how quickly and with such venom that they have turned on Murty. Calling him all the 'taig' so-and-so's under the sun. With whatever catholic links SG has how long before they do likewise to him if he hasn't Won the title, the cup, married into the monarchy and ransacked the Vatican in his first season.
He must be off his chump to even consider it.
The thing that gets me and the question i'd really like to ask any possible candidate, is not whether they think they will be successful. But do you really want to be successful? Providing joy to the cretinous inhabitants of that rancid cesspit.
I cant see how any decent human being could live with themselves knowing they'd given succor to those hunmonkey bigots.Monkeys everywhere will be protesting about this. What has the perfectly intelligent and inoffensive species done to deserve being linked to that particular sub species?

sadtom
01-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Monkeys everywhere will be protesting about this. What has the perfectly intelligent and inoffensive species done to deserve being linked to that particular sub species?

'Hunmonkeys' are very much a different species.

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 02:03 PM
I'd be absolutely astounded if Gerrard didn't have an advisor warning him off this job

Bostonhibby
01-05-2018, 02:14 PM
'Hunmonkeys' are very much a different species.[emoji4]

Crazyhorse
01-05-2018, 02:30 PM
I'd be absolutely astounded if Gerrard didn't have an advisor warning him off this job

Is this not just the usual distraction s**te. When the tide was turning at the end of Walter Mitty's reign or after another joke European performance they always had Chic Dung ready with a planted question about Rangers interest in Rolandinho or something...

Hermit Crab
01-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Surely he doesn't need an advisor! He must know its instant trophy success and beat Celtic 4 times a year thats required or he's labelled a Tim and he's out, managerial reputation in tatters. If he takes the job he must be promised money spent or something.

Look what happened to Neville, tried management and totally failed.

Famous Fiver
01-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Can't wait for the statement which indicates Gerrard is not Rangers class, has no ambition, and is 'not a Rangers man'.

Over to you big Jim!!!

JeMeSouviens
01-05-2018, 04:40 PM
The Express are reporting Gerrard says yes. Banter years going up a notch methinks. :aok:

Kato
01-05-2018, 05:22 PM
The Express are reporting Gerrard says yes. Banter years going up a notch methinks. :aok:

http://kopworld.net/2018/05/01/gerrard-set-to-take-rangers-job/?platform=hootsuite?r1=http%3A%2F%2Fht.ly%2F3ioq30 jMkKW

Captain Trips
01-05-2018, 05:27 PM
It appears he is taking the job on 3yr contract. Hopefully this all ends in tears.

blaikie
01-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I still don’t think he’ll take it, has a smell of the Mcinnes saga about it!

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Im feeling exuberant at the thought of this

Jim44
01-05-2018, 06:08 PM
I think it’s odds on that he will take it. I hope he fastens his seat belt securely ‘cos he’s in for a bumpy ride. I’m pretty sure that Liverpool will have told him to go for it, nothing to lose as he’ll always have them to fall back on. In fact they’ll probably see it as a unique early opportunity to prepare him for the job at Liverpool in due course.

lapsedhibee
01-05-2018, 06:09 PM
I still don’t think he’ll take it, has a smell of the Mcinnes saga about it!

That and the SG move to Chelski, which was definitely going ahead until it didn't.

emerald green
01-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Pat Nevin on the nose as usual, bit of common sense and perspective on the whole thing when compared to the English media empty headed comments:

Nevin disagreed with the suggestion by former England striker Alan Shearer and other pundits that Gerrard becoming Rangers manger was "a no-brainer".

"I don't think many people in Scotland would agree with that statement," he said.

"It was a real surprise to hear that and my ears were pinned back when I heard it."

"It is a big call - a massive one. And it is a brainer, not a no-brainer, and you would have to think about it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43946933

:agree: I wonder how Gerrard's ex-model wife will fancy moving her four young children to Glasgow? Or will the family steer well clear? That's just for starters. Alan Shearer is a "no brainer".

essexhibee
01-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Honestly why could you be arsed with the stress of it all?! Just sit on BT Sport talking and earning a shed load with zero pressure.

Don't understand it...:confused:

01-05-2018, 06:44 PM
I think Gerrard would be crazy to take this job and it's also a pretty big gamble from Rangers. He has never coached higher than the under 18's at Liverpool and the pressure he would be under at Rangers would be immense. He will be expected to hit the ground running, none of the "rebuilding, 3 year plan etc" thing. It would be his first real managerial job and I personally think it's a hell of a lot for someone so inexperienced to take on given the shambles Rangers are.

Shame if he goes. I've been a big Gerrard fan through all his playing career but I cannot wish him well over at that mob.

01-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Honestly why could you be arsed with the stress of it all?! Just sit on BT Sport talking and earning a shed load with zero pressure.

Don't understand it...:confused:

My thinking exactly. He's obviously ambitious and wants to get right into the managerial game as soon as possible but getting involved in the circus that is Sevco could do a hell of a lot more damage than good. As I mentioned above, he will be under massive pressure right from day 1.

mjhibby
01-05-2018, 06:54 PM
I think it’s odds on that he will take it. I hope he fastens his seat belt securely ‘cos he’s in for a bumpy ride. I’m pretty sure that Liverpool will have told him to go for it, nothing to lose as he’ll always have them to fall back on. In fact they’ll probably see it as a unique early opportunity to prepare him for the job at Liverpool in due course.

That's my take. Its a low risk appointment in one sense because if he fails its in Scotland and won't destroy his cv and he can rebuild his career in England. If he succeeds of course then Liverpool awaits. The computer says utter failure and if we can keep most of our squad and add a couple of quality additions I can see us going head to head with them again next season.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2018, 06:56 PM
**** him and them. That is all :rolleyes:

southsider
01-05-2018, 06:59 PM
That's my take. Its a low risk appointment in one sense because if he fails its in Scotland and won't destroy his cv and he can rebuild his career in England. If he succeeds of course then Liverpool awaits. The computer says utter failure and if we can keep most of our squad and add a couple of quality additions I can see us going head to head with them again next season.

Lenno v Stevo the Sevco

euro Hibby
01-05-2018, 07:02 PM
If Real lose tonight it wil be a straight swop Zidance out Gerrard in .......

Onion
01-05-2018, 07:06 PM
It's a poor man's Souness appointment, but this time the Huns have little to no money to back it up. For the life of me, don't understand why someone like Gerrard would take on such a poisoned chalice. Only the Scotland job is worse. It's a crazy appointment but Sevco is a madhouse.

Northernhibee
01-05-2018, 07:19 PM

I'm worried that Real go for an upgrade and sign SJM as player/manager :paranoid:

Jim44
01-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Where did you grab that one from?:confused:

Jones28
01-05-2018, 07:25 PM
It's a poor man's Souness appointment, but this time the Huns have little to no money to back it up. For the life of me, don't understand why someone like Gerrard would take on such a poisoned chalice. Only the Scotland job is worse. It's a crazy appointment but Sevco is a madhouse.

This says more about Gerrard's ignorance of Scottish football than anything else - and he won't be going there for peanuts by the way. He'll be bursting the wage budget at the seems.

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2018, 07:30 PM
This says more about Gerrard's ignorance of Scottish football than anything else - and he won't be going there for peanuts by the way. He'll be bursting the wage budget at the seems.

I don't think it does, Gerrard will be well aware of the situation up here there is no doubt about it. Maybe he fancies the challenge, whilst everyone is saying it's madness he obviously doesn't give a ****. Nothing really for him to lose in regard to reputation in the game.

JeMeSouviens
01-05-2018, 07:31 PM
I don't think it does, Gerrard will be well aware of the situation up here there is no doubt about it. Maybe he fancies the challenge, whilst everyone is saying it's madness he obviously doesn't give a ****. Nothing really for him to lose in regard to reputation in the game.

Really? What happened to John Barnes’?

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Really? What happened to John Barnes’?

What about him? He wasn't even a coach, an old pals act by Dalglish and he is black so very unlikely to make it as a top manager anyway.

worcesterhibby
01-05-2018, 07:36 PM
If Gerrard takes the job it will be an absolute pantomime.

no money to buy players of a standard that Gerard is used to playing with. He basically has NO exoerience as a manager. Two defeats and the Rangers fans will be painting sectarian messages on his car.

they will not be above Hibs in the League for the entire season.

euro Hibby
01-05-2018, 07:37 PM
too much noise over this....could be the hun media train arriving at the last station. So much crap being written. Biggest news
will be Hibs taking 2nd spot.....

Jim44
01-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Listening to Gary Linneker in the BT Sport studio with Gerrard, it’s basically a done deal.

hibsbollah
01-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Listening to Gary Linneker in the BT Sport studio with Gerrard, it’s basically a done deal.

Crazy. What is he thinking? My son is in a state of unhappy confusion about the whole thing.

Scott Allan Key
01-05-2018, 08:31 PM
What about him? He wasn't even a coach, an old pals act by Dalglish and he is black so very unlikely to make it as a top manager anyway.

It’s ignorant prejudice not just ability that stops black managers making it. Who’d put up with the kind of ***** you just spouted in their everyday job and accept it day in, day out. The kind of post you’d expect on Rangers media FFS. I’m sure you posted it this as a bit of Alf Garnett style trolling to see who you’d reel in. Well done, pat yourself on the back, with your post-colonial superiority complex, little Englishman.

jgl07
01-05-2018, 08:35 PM
It’s ignorant prejudice not just ability that stops black managers making it. Who’d put up with the kind of ***** you just spouted in their everyday job and accept it day in, day out. The kind of post you’d expect on Rangers media FFS. I’m sure you posted it this as a bit of Alf Garnett style trolling to see who you’d reel in. Well done, pat yourself on the back, with your post-colonial superiority complex, little Englishman.
It’s par for the course in Liverpool sad to say!

Deansy
01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
:agree: I wonder how Gerrard's ex-model wife will fancy moving her four young children to Glasgow? Or will the family steer well clear? That's just for starters. Alan Shearer is a "no brainer".

Couldn't believe it when I heard what Shearer said but I don't think he's alone !. Think it's mainly because a few English players/media/agents etc have come up here to one or two 'Old ****' games and probably think the 'atmosphere' is fantastic (I've certainly heard English commentators/pundits say this) but they're on flying-visits to Glasgow, in-out of the stadium and the remainder of their time spent in 5-star establishments with heavy security, isolated from everything. I think they'd have a change of opinion if they knew exactly what's being sung (on both sides) or if they knew of the % increase in domestic-battery/assaults etc when that game takes place !. In general I think a lot of folk down South really have very little idea of what actually goes on when it comes to the 'Old ****' game as they don't get to see or hear what happens outside of the actual game - I remember there being quite a bit of bewilderment/amazement/horror when Alex Thomson started reporting on C4 of the Huns crimes, journalists/lawyers receiving death-threats, the GFA-handling of it, the laughable reporting of the Scottish media - it certainly added to the 'Mickey-Mouse' slur we've heard so often !

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2018, 08:40 PM
It’s par for the course in Liverpool sad to say!

Don't be daft and besides I don't live in Liverpool!