PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Hibees in Finland

Bamba
25-04-2018, 10:27 AM
In my job reporting on Finnish football, I encountered 3 ex-Hibs players in last week's Ilves-KuPS match.

Firstly, Otso Virtanen who had a solid game in goal for KuPS - conceded twice but let down by his defence on both occasions. Secondly, Jarkko Wiss in the dugout for Ilves but, most suprisingly, Matulevicius on the bench for KuPS. I didn't even realise he had signed for them until I saw his name on the teamsheet and figured there probably weren't two players by his name. His performance left no doubt - he came on late in the second half, looked terribly out of shape and ballooned a shot over the bar from about 8 yards.

There are 2 other ex-Hibs players operating in the Finnish league system as far as I know - Henri Anier who has found his level at FC Lahti and Antonio Reguero, regarded as one of the best keepers in the league, at RoPS.

Shefki Kuqi is also still shuffling about in the 5th level (about the standard of Granton Star) with LoPa, apparently, after he was sacked by Inter Turku last season.

CMurdoch
25-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Good info, ta

SirDavidsNapper
25-04-2018, 10:58 AM
In my job reporting on Finnish football, I encountered 3 ex-Hibs players in last week's Ilves-KuPS match.

Firstly, Otso Virtanen who had a solid game in goal for KuPS - conceded twice but let down by his defence on both occasions. Secondly, Jarkko Wiss in the dugout for Ilves but, most suprisingly, Matulevicius on the bench for KuPS. I didn't even realise he had signed for them until I saw his name on the teamsheet and figured there probably weren't two players by his name. His performance left no doubt - he came on late in the second half, looked terribly out of shape and ballooned a shot over the bar from about 8 yards.

There are 2 other ex-Hibs players operating in the Finnish league system as far as I know - Henri Anier who has found his level at FC Lahti and Antonio Reguero, regarded as one of the best keepers in the league, at RoPS.

Shefki Kuqi is also still shuffling about in the 5th level (about the standard of Granton Star) with LoPa, apparently, after he was sacked by Inter Turku last season.

Big Dave the enigma! I'm convinced we brought him more so to help Slivka settle. Was also a punt that could have worked out but sadly didn't.

LichtieHibby
25-04-2018, 12:30 PM
I wondered what had happened to Big Dave. Thanks for the update.

How do you get a job reporting on Finnish football?! Is that you Mixu?

worcesterhibby
25-04-2018, 01:18 PM
How are Tampere Utd doing..always had a soft spot for them after taking a few holidays in that neck of the woods...Love Finland !

Bamba
26-04-2018, 07:52 PM
How are Tampere Utd doing..always had a soft spot for them after taking a few holidays in that neck of the woods...Love Finland !

TamU are on their way back after financial ruin. They've got a decent shot at promotion to the second tier this year, having had to start again from the 5th a few years back. Decent hardcore support but entirely comprised of pissed older men who want to scrap with teenagers

Bamba
26-04-2018, 07:54 PM
I wondered what had happened to Big Dave. Thanks for the update.

How do you get a job reporting on Finnish football?! Is that you Mixu?

Fell into it completely accidentally, I absolutely love it too.
Mixu is being touted for jobs again over here (probably SJK) now that he's been sacked after 3 months in the Thai league.

My wife reliably informs me that 'Mixu' is an emo name...

Crazyhorse
26-04-2018, 08:40 PM
TamU are on their way back after financial ruin. They've got a decent shot at promotion to the second tier this year, having had to start again from the 5th a few years back. Decent hardcore support but entirely comprised of pissed older men who want to scrap with teenagers

Thanks for the info I spent a bit of time in Tampere myself in 2010.

worcesterhibby
26-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Cheers didn't even know they had financial problems !

snooky
26-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Have you spotted any young Mixus out there that we should be looking to sign?

pacorosssco
26-04-2018, 10:31 PM
TamU are on their way back after financial ruin. They've got a decent shot at promotion to the second tier this year, having had to start again from the 5th a few years back. Decent hardcore support but entirely comprised of pissed older men who want to scrap with teenagers sounds a lot like a spl club we all know